home
RSS
'Where was God in Aurora?' comments show Internet as church for atheists
Some atheists may ask questions on the Internet that they wouldn't have asked in church.
August 1st, 2012

'Where was God in Aurora?' comments show Internet as church for atheists

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - The Internet has become the de facto global church for atheists, agnostics and other doubters of God, who of course don’t have bricks-and-mortar churches in which to congregate.

We see this phenomenon in motion every day on the CNN Belief Blog, where atheists/agnostics/humanists are among the most zealous commenters.

Recent string of posts around the question of “Where was God in Aurora?” (such as this and this) drew especially large waves of comments that show atheists are using the Internet to commune with one another and to confront religious believers in ways that they don’t usually do in church.

Atheists and other secularists have offline organizations that stage in-person meetings - the Secular Student Alliance has seen its number of campus chapters quadruple in the last five years, to 368 - but the Internet has probably played a bigger role in the rise of the so-called New Atheism. The movement’s adherents evangelize their godlessness, just as many religious folks evangelize their God, often taking to the Belief Blog to do so.

“A lot of millennials who are coming of age have found that the Internet is a fantastic place to talk about their doubt,” says Jesse Galef, communications director for the Secular Student Alliance. “Before the Internet, there was no place for young people to do that. The only place to go was really church, and that wasn’t always a welcoming place.

“But they can go online and discuss these ideas without being judged by friends and families,” Galef says.

For closeted atheists, the Internet’s anonymity is a big draw. A coalition of national atheist groups recently launched a program to transition doubting clergy to lives of open atheism by first having ministers come out anonymously in a closed online community.

Plenty of other atheists, though, are using the Internet to connect with real, named people through Facebook and other online social networks.

“It’s the ability to access a larger community, particularly for people growing up in religiously conservative areas,” Galef says. “There is nobody they can point to to discuss their atheism or their doubts about the Bible or their morality, and the Internet provides that.”

On Sunday, a guest piece from a Colorado pastor argued that it’s possible to reconcile the idea of a sovereign God with the existence of evil and tragedy. The post has drawn 4,239 comments as of Wednesday morning, largely from atheists.

One of those comments - a letter from God penned by an atheist commenter named Colin - caught fire online. Here’s how his letter opens:

"Dear Christians:

"God here. I thought I would take the time to personally explain my absence in the Aurora shootings. While I was at it, I thought I would also explain my absence during every murder, massacre and crime that has ever taken place in world history, and in every war, in every famine, drought and flood.

"You see, I do not exist. I never have. Did it really make sense to you that I would create an entire universe with billions of billions of planets and wait about 13,700,000,000 years just so I could focus on a few Jews from Palestine about 2,000 years ago while ignoring the rest of the 200,000,000 people on the planet at the time? Did I make those few Jews or did those few Jews make me?"

The letter has been posted on reddit, where it attracted another 1,000-plus comments. (Warning: The reddit comments includes foul language.)

The vast majority of comments come from sympathetic atheists and other secularists (the discussion is reddit's atheism thread), a striking example of such folks doing church without God online. Many of those comments are deeply personal, confessional and poignant.

Here are five of the best ones. Some respond to Colin’s letter from God, others to the Colorado pastor who wrote for the Belief Blog last weekend.

1. CarbonEmitter

"I grew up religious and decided to be agnostic (as an) undergraduate. Even though I am now in my late 20s, I still feel slightly guilty because my parents try to ram religion down my throat. My mom converted to my dad's religion (from Christianity to Islam) right before having a double lung transplant in 1995. They are now super-religious and attribute her miraculous recovery to her conversion.

"Reading posts like these remind me of how ridiculous religion is and help relieve my guilt. Thank you /r/athiesm."

2. tazadar

"I like what Carl Sagan said about reassuring fables.

" 'The significance of our lives and our fragile planet is then determined only by our own wisdom and courage. We are the custodians of life's meaning. We long for a parent to care for us, to forgive us our errors, to save us from our childish mistakes. But knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable.' "

3. RyGuy2012

"You know, it really irks me to no end to read the article from the pastor, as he claims to not have an answer for why God didn't prevent the Aurora shooting, but then claims to know for sure that God is there when people come to lend their support and sympathies for the shooting victims.

"I just can't wrap my mind around this logic. Like, the pastor must find some other explanation why people are good and do good things. It can't be that people can just be good on their own. Because, apparently (our) natural normal state is to be completely uncaring and disregarding? It's just such a very sad and low opinion to have of your fellow man.

4. funfetti_cookies

"Of course, he says that. You have to scare the people before giving them a reason to listen - "I held her hand as she died." What a great way to start your article. Also don't forget to mention Columbine so people remember that tragedy as well, but then go on to explain why God still exists and this is all part of his plan. Religion is nothing more but a scare tactic to control the masses.

5. ConstipatedNinja

"I don't share this much, but I was raped twice by my pastor when I was 6. And by I don't share this much, I mean that even my own parents don't know (as a side note, he's long since dead, so there's no sense in bringing it up). I had to sit in the same room (with) him for three hours every Sunday while he told everyone - including me - how a decent human being should act. I had to for four entire years before my family moved to a different state.

"When it first happened, I had no idea what was done. I was too young to understand. ... It's indescribable. You're told all this time about this ever-loving being that made you and has planned out your entire life. You're told that he'll protect you when you need it. You're told that if you're good, then he'll be good to you. So obviously, I wasn't good. I wasn't good enough. I was created and the creator of all things looked down upon me and decided that I was a bad egg. Do you know how rough that is for a 7-year-old? I still have problems with self-esteem. …"

That comment, which has been truncated above, provoked an outpouring of sympathy and support on reddit, including this comment:

rumpelstiltskin1

"This stuff is why I love Reddit. Yeah we are a room full of strangers but when it comes down to it we're a community. I love reading the stories of others and reading the heartfelt replies. I love that anyone can express themselves honestly and it will be well-received here (usually). And although this one is a little cheeky, I love that I can learn valuable life lessons of self-acceptance and being able to move on from a guy named ConstipatedNinja. Thank you for sharing your story, and I admire the willingness to share such a personal story; it's truly inspirational."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Colorado • Violence

soundoff (4,699 Responses)
  1. dman

Atheists for Romney 2012! 😉

August 1, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • lamb of dog

Lol

August 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • gager

Actually I'm an atheist conservative.

August 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
  2. ATTENTION ALL ATHEISTS

Based on all the comments, points and theories I truly can understand why you feel or believe that there is no God. And yes there are many different religions. Each with their own little spin on things. But one thing that is common among the 3 major religions (Christianity, Judaism and Islam) is that the is one God. All knowing, master of the universe among many other things. If you just look into the mirror and see yourself;I mean really see how amazing your are in terms of how you were created from how your fingers work to how your brain works. Look how nature works and how everything is in balance and you will realize that there is a God. Yes there are problems in this world and yes there are catastrophes; but God explains this. There is a reason for everything. It may be hard to explain but you have to have faith. Just see how life works. You break the rules you pay the price. Break the rules at home get punished. Break the rules at school you get punished. Break the rules at work you get punished. Break the rules against the law. Guess what...you get punished. SO WHY THEN CANT GOD HAVE RULES TOO??? AFTER ALL HE CREATED ALL THIS. Still dont believe. Then check out ISLAM. I know I know Islam is all about killing right??? See for yourself. Just give it one minute of your time. There are many credible websites like islamic city dot com. Check it out. Dont take this as me pushing something on you. take it as some information Id like to share because I want to help those that MAY be looking for some answers. Take care. And peace.

August 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • rAmen

so you are conveniently ignoring Hinduism, Buddhism et al? got it

August 1, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • plaster city

Are you one of those people that believe god exists because a bannana seems shaped perfectly to fit into a human's hand?

August 1, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • snowboarder

One thing we know for certain. Man is very adept at creating god.

August 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • Siara Delyn

Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are historically related to each other. That is why they have common beliefs.

August 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • MetalHeel

Evolution explains why we have fingers and brains. The vast number of galaxies, which contain a vast number of solar systems, which contains a bunch of planets, gives plenty of chances for the correct balance to happen for life to occur. We got to be one of those. I don't really understand how you're argument about rules explains the existence of a god. And it's really difficult for me to comprehend the concept of faith. It seems like a 1984 kind of doublethink to me. Believe something extraordinary despite the lack of evidence to support the claim. You can believe what you want to believe, but you yourself stated that you understand where our skepticism comes from, yes?

August 1, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
    • Les

There is as much evidence for UFOs as there is for a GOD. Prove otherwise and I will believe.

August 1, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • LOL@"WhereWasGod"

3 major religions, all based off 20 Pagan religions...only some of which were mono-theistic....

Ahh the comedy continues!

August 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Crystal V.

Just because three religious traditions believe in a god, it does not make the existence of that god a FACT. Major error in logic on your part.

August 1, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • postedbygeo

CNN has blocked my reply, apparently the screener is religious and afraid the truth would be read.

August 1, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • sam

@postedbygeo – LOL. Fail.

August 1, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • NoDoubts

TRANSLATION: "The world is made up of complicated things like people, and since I don't understand them enough to know how they could have evolved, I will attribute all the wonder that is life to a magical god that I claim simply created it."

Sorry, but an expose on looking at the mirror and saying that non-believers will suddenly realize that your god exists is utterly unconvincing. We see exactly what you see, but what you interpret as evidence of the almighty, we see as the miracle of evolution, the spectacle of the big bang, and the wonder of quantum mechanics. Einstein once said that god does not roll dice with the world. He was wrong on two accounts: the stochasticity of quantum mechanics is real, and the dice roll even without the hand of your god.

August 1, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Standing on my head, trying any way I can to rationalise god's absense

If god has rules, she didn't create them dummy. Nice try. Another fail.

August 1, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
    • visitor

How about Goddess? Do the gals get equal time?

August 1, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
  3. AJ

Atheists, explain to me what is the 'soul', why creatures dies what is the thing that they have before they become corpses.
    Don't ask why God absent when people were killed, ask why people can't keep their souls?
    simply because soul is from god, and god was there when these souls depart from their bodies. just because you don't see it, it doesn't mean it is not exist.

August 1, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • sam

There is no such thing as a soul. Unless it's soul food; that exists and can be delicious. Also, Soul Train while it was on the air, that existed.

August 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • gager

A soul is a religious creation. Does not exist like your god does not exist.

August 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • freethinker

A soul is a idea, not a real thing. We use it to explain to people who die when they can't handle the truth.

August 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • Seyedibar

A "soul" doesn't actually exist. It's like "time" or "love", just a concept we came up with to reinforce our belief system. Belief in a soul helps negate a person's stresses over fear of death by suggesting an afterlife. But there is no actual such thing beyond fiction.

August 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • Adam

Why don't YOU explain it, as it is YOU who are positing it in the first place....

August 1, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • snowboarder

A soul? There is no reason to believe such a thing exists.

August 1, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • darkstar

There is no evidence whatsoever of a soul that exists independent of a functioning brain. Please read up on Cognitive Neuroscience and keep the fairy tales to yourself.

August 1, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • John

So let me get this straight, you are making your point that God, which no one has ever seen, exists based on an argument that when you die your 'soul' – something else no one has ever seen – goes to heaven?????

August 1, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • imagicka23

Does a radio, or a car, or a television, or a computer have a soul when they are running?

What do these things have when they are properly functioning that they didn't have when they aren't running?

August 1, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@AJ,

if one has an eternal soul that lives inside us while we live, and exists afterwards in eternal bliss or torment, where is it before we are conceived, being 'eternal'?

Just askin'.

August 1, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

A soul is like your own personal tooth fairy, without the need to give up body parts to get its undivided attention.

Really, do you still believe this stuff? Do your parents know you're on the internet?

August 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • AJ

I just mentioned a point that no one explain, beside saying "such things does not exist". what is the difference between you and a dead man. someone saying "Human like TV" that is the most absurd thing i have ever heard. what is soul? is it energy? what kind of energy? don't attack the question think then post your answer.

August 1, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • NoDoubts

Message to Seyedibar: Totally agree except for one thing – time does exist. It is a quantifiable dimension of the universe, just like space, energy, matter, and mass and in Eisntein-ian physics, it is inseparable from "spacetime."

August 1, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • Brett

The energy you call "soul" is chemical energy. Why do you need to eat to stay alive?

August 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
  4. winstonsmith

The scariest idea of all is that there is no big picture... we exist because we do, and we'll live as we do and someday all of this will be forgotten and the universe will move on. We believe in God for the same reason we love stories. We need to KNOW we're important, that us existing has a greater purpose beyond just being here. We need our purpose to echo into eternity, rather than to just be here and now.

Personally, I don't see what's so wrong with the here and now.

August 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • lamb of dog

Being content with the unknown isn't easy.

August 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • Siara Delyn

We believe in God because we are pack animals and must have a pack leader in order to feel connected to each other. If dogs were intellectual, they would have a dog-god because they are pack animals too.

August 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@6079 Smith W.

Didn't you already post this?

Big Brother is watching you!

August 1, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Les

The refreshing thing about NOT having everything all planned out is that we can make out own futures! As soon as we all stop fighting over who's version of GOD is right, we can get down to the business of improving ourselves.

August 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
  5. Richard Aberdeen

Atheists have never heard of freedom of choice, since they gave up their freedom long ago. Apparently, they would have God step in every time a human being does something wrong, so we could all be brainless robots who go by the same evidence-less atheist bible. Athesists have never heard of science in relation to evidence either, but that's just one of several problems they have. Their biggest problem is, they will have to some day give an account for their words, just like the rest of us, having to explain to our Creator why they told his children he doesn't exist and when they pray, he will not hear or help us, in spite of ALL of the known evidence pointing in the opposite direction.

August 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • Siara Delyn

And when that day comes, you can pat your halo and enjoy spitting down into the fire that consumes the rest of us. Bet you're looking forward to it.

August 1, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • plaster city

Richard,
      I'd respond to this but I bet you have already run away.

August 1, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • snowboarder

No person gives an account of their life.

August 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • Crystal V.

As a former "born again" Christian (yes, I once believed, who has read the entire Bible several times, I can say with confidence that it is no more evidence for the existance of a god from a bronze age culture than a Batman comic is evidence for the existance of a real Batman who lives in a real city called Gothem and drives a much cooler looking car than I have. The existence of the universe is not proof of existence of a god because in physics, something can come from nothing. I am not worried about going to a non-existent hell or having to account to a non-existent diety. The new testament was made up by the early church because they needed something upon which to hinge their power and control over an illiterate populace and its rulers.

August 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • LOL@"WhereWasGod"

LOL. We can talk Science if you want, but it will boil down to the same "conclusion" it always does....

The logical arguments will win out, and the "believer" will fall back on , "you just have to have faith", right before leaving the forum and never coming back.

I've had the discussions 1000 times, care to make it 1001?

August 1, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
    • John

You make a lot of assumptions that have no basis beyond the small view you have of the world. It is not surprising to me that someone so unable to think critically would turn to religion as a means to feel part of something and to look forward to after the pitiful life they are living finally ends. Good for you to have found some meaning in your existence.

August 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • 1plus1

I am extremely curious what this evidence is! I have been searching for years and have not yet found any.

August 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Les

There is no one "keeping track" of how we live our lives. That idea is rediculous.

August 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
  6. Siara Delyn

The article seems to imply that there's something underhanded about individuals discussing agnosticism online ( where they can "discuss these ideas without being judged by friends and families”). As if people having the opportunity to introspect and share their honest opinions is bad.

August 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  7. Shareef

let me explain something to you..as much as I LOVE JESUS and JESUS LOVES ME if i climb to the top of a building and JUMP i WILL DIE..it dosnt mean that jesus dosnt love me, or that he dosnt care it simply put just means that god gave us FREE WILL and there are LAWS that are in effect, in this case the law of gravitty, with that being said it dosnt mean that JESUS was not there in Aurora it means that as messed up as his actions was GOD STILL GAVE HIM FREE WILL and god was with those people who he killed, i personally believe that he took them before they felt any pain but point being we have free will to do EVIL or GOOD, now when that gunman gets before that thrown of god he WILL have to explain his actions and pay for them, but this whole notion that god was not there is stupidly and shows that alot of people dont know the true nation of GOD..now thats the REAL truth

August 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • LOL@"WhereWasGod"

You have your god, i have the Spaghetti Monster.

Faith in either one will result in the same 'experience'.

August 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • plaster city

Shareef,
      When we become a theocracy, we will be sure to make you the leader, because you are the one person who knows exactly what god thinks.

August 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • Good Fight

Where were the athiests during the shooting?

August 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • Mark

In your case it's the law of dumb basta*d

August 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
  8. toad

It is a strange thing about Satan. It may not know that it has lost. It continues to vomit forth things like Colin which it props up for all to admire. Everything it does seems without aim.

August 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • sam

It is a strange thing about toad. It may not know that it has lost. It continues to vomit forth things about satan, which it props up for all to admire. Everything it does seems without aim.

August 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • HappyMadison

Is that the strange thing about satan??? Or is it the fact that God created satan?

August 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • toad

God created sam to show that something in human form can lap up diarrhea while simultaneously picking scabs from its anus. Satan may serve some lesser purpose.

August 1, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • Crystal V.

I prefer satin myself, especially sheets and pillowcases.

August 1, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • sam

LOL You went straight to scatology. How telling. Why are you obsessed with butts, toad? Are you trying to tell us something?

August 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • MetalHeel

@toad, you so silly. And why does your god allow for evil to exist at all? If indeed such a concept exists. It would seem to make more sense for there not to be any evil at all. That would make things so much easier.

August 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
  9. Smokey

Krishna says, "the one who pervades all does not take in the good or harm done by anyone; wisdom is covered up by ignorance, which confuses living beings. But among those whose ignorance of the self is destroyed by wisdom, their wisdom illuminates the highest, like the sun."

and

"one who can endure in this world the shock that begins in desire and anger... is joined to yoga, and a happy person."

August 1, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Good stuff. Reminds me of "I am the Alpha and the Omega. No one comes to the Father except by me."

August 1, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • Alpa Chino

Everything reminds Bill of something from the bible...whether it's anywhere close to it or not.

August 1, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
  10. winstonsmith

The scariest idea of all is that there is no big picture... we exist because we do, and we'll live as we do and someday all of this will be forgotten and the universe will move in. We believe in God for the same reason we love stories. We need to KNOW we're important, that us existing has a greater purpose beyond just being here. We need our purpose to echo into eternity, rather than to just be here and now.

Personally, I don't see what's so wrong with the here and now.

August 1, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  11. Chris

"The Internet has become the de facto global church for atheists, agnostics and other doubters of God, who of course don’t have bricks-and-mortar churches in which to congregate."

That's funny, because as an agnostic, I go to a UU church and am welcomed with open arms. Maybe this dim wit should research some more before he makes broad generalizations...

August 1, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • LOL@"WhereWasGod"

I'm really curious as to when exactly an Atheist would actually go to a church...let alone try to have a conversation/debate with someone that believes in 'magic'...

August 1, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  12. Tom

I am an Atheist. Why should a non believer dignify a conversation about some stupid belief about a supreme being?
    religion is one of the scourge's of mankind, another one is mankind iteslf.

August 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • David

secular humanism has worked so well hasn't it. Just think of Stalin, Khmer rouge, Chairman Mao and other atheists who collectively murdered countless millions. Of course they did nothing wrong because in the eyes of an atheist there is no right and wrong. Live in the now, maximize pleasure and minimize pain for all is meaningless, all is temporary. Convince me how you can have an atheists society which can prevents monsters like the above mentioned from practicing might is right and I will give up my belief in God.

August 1, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Adam

So you believe in God because of your desire to appear to live in a "meaningful" world with absolute morality, and NOT because you think one actually exists?

This betrays much about you, and your brain.

August 1, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • sam

Nice try, David. We've been over that ridiculous argument in here a million times. Logic fail. GTFO, n00b.

August 1, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • John

David – Did you write the book on what it means to be a non-believer? Do we all have to act as your described? Of course we know all the evil in the world comes from atheists, right? The catholic priests that abuse children, the catholic church that covers it up, the religious nuts that kill in the name of their God, the crusades, – I guess that falls under 'free will' and those 'Christians' will have to answer to God for their transgressions. I know, you are just mad at atheists because they don't have to answer for theirs.

BTW – Some of the most decent and caring people I know are agnostic or atheist and some of the worst are religious fanatics. Not sure how you reconcile that, but I am sure there is some mystical theory that covers it for you.

August 1, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
  13. imagicka23

The problem is the media has become a corrupt mirror of society. Not being impartial, not being informative. But towing the line of the editors and owners of these outlets to promote their religious and political beliefs. Media doesn't want you to be informed of the impartial truth, they want to give you their brand of 'truth'. Subtly suggesting what you should think, or reinforcing how they think.

Gone are the days where reporters as a whole could be trusted. No one wants to report anymore. They want to give their opinion and ignore everyone else who's opinion they don't like. They are unable to research, they look at reddit and the internet and report personal opinions as news. Certainly reddit/r/atheism you are going to get informed, researched opinions. But does media fact-check? Do they research the validity of what they are reporting? Of course not.

Cognitive Dissonance abounds, and Critical Thinking is not utilized.

August 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • Les

What was the point of that?

August 1, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  14. David

Ths article is a joke, mostly because it assumes that the reason most commenters are atheist is because "the internet is the atheist church."

Have you considered that maybe Christian Evangelicals don't use the web as much? As a former pastor I can tell you that Evangelicals are quite ignorant about computers and the web. They are usually suffering in poverty and have little time to surf the web because they work two jobs in between church, parenting and seeing their Christian counselor for the myriad of mental problems that Evangelical Christians usually have.

The point is that Christians don't comment on here because they are either too stupid to use the web or their life is too broken to have time to use the web.

August 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • sam

Sometimes when they comment here...they are still ignorant of the web and how it works.

August 1, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
    • Adam

Are you talking? Ahhh yawn.

August 1, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  15. Canada

Why is CNN even bothering listening to atheists? Just block, ban and ignore them.

The more they open their mouth, the more evil they get. Better to let them shut up.

August 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • Colin

Too late, Adolf. You can't burn the internet, or put it on a list of banned books.

August 1, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • lamb of dog

Me not believing in you Sky Fairy isn't hate.

August 1, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • John

Well said, like many of the other 'Christians' on here you don't seem to follow the teachings of Jesus very well. I see more hate and ignorance coming from the believers than I do the non believers. It is hard to make an argument for your religion when the majority posting here do not following the teachings themselves – you included.

August 1, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
    • HappyMadison

Funny – that's exactly how i feel about Canadians.

August 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

This year marks the bicentennial of the beginning of the war of 1812.

200 years ago this month the British were kicking the Americans who tried to invade Canada in the teeth.

I offer this for the real Canadians out there, not this troll.

August 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • sam

Yawn.

August 1, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
    • sophie

Wow, What a statement. Just because they don't believe in god, does not make them evil. I guess unless they believe exactly in what you believe they are all evil. Just awful. Whatever happened to leaving judgements to god?

August 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • Les

Oh and burn all the books too.

August 1, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
  16. John

How free could we be, as a race, if there were no religion? How ironic that the original intent of creating religion – to enable man to control man – has resulted in more hatred and death than any other creation in the history of our species. John Lennon got it right, 'Imagine'! Take a minute to free your mind and you will see how silly this whole thing is.

August 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
  17. garrettspeaks

For want of truth I looked into space
    And turned my gaze away from my race
    The human race so animalistic
    I flew from those cannibalistic

I set myself beyond my thoughts
    And gave any god a chance to talk
    I waited years as ignorance fought
    To hide any religious beliefs from mock

And to my surprise I found one day
    I could think my own way indeed
    I reasoned my life in the evidenced way
    And to truth my mind concede

From then on I freed my mind
    It was a wonderfully insightful schism
    I left all falsehood myths behind
    And devoted to atheism

August 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
  18. dave

The Universe appeared out of nothing. The Universe did not appear out of nothing.

August 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
  19. PRAY TO GOD - IT HELPS

Few 100% true Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things:

† Atheism is a religion that makes you angry, stupid, brainwashed, ignorant & blind.
    † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
    † Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet atheists)
    † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
    † Atheists are misguided and causes problem in our religious & public society.
    † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
    † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
    † Atheism making you agree with Mussolini, Stalin, Hitler (denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders who killed religious people because of their religious cult!
    † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
    † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
    † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
    † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
    † Most atheists are uneducated... No atheists could run for presidency.
    † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
    † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
    † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
    † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
    † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism!
    **Only 2-3% of the U.S. are atheists/agnostics VS. over 90% who believe in God (80% Christians) in the U.S.**

† † Our Prayers goes to atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator † †

PS! the USA is a † nation and will always be. You know it's true and stop being ignorant and arrogant!
    (Take a look at our federal/state holidays, 99% of our presidents, blue laws in parts of the nation, the majority of people, some laws, calendar, culture, etc.)

*****************************************
    Attention: American Christians (being 80% of the population) are stupid and brainwashed for supporting Israel and the Jews when they deny and made the Romans persecute, suffer and kill our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

We give Israel billions of dollars of aid every year from our hardworking tax-payers' money when nearly 50 million Americans live under poverty in this nation, as well as having lots of problems in this nation, such as bad infrastructure, high unemployment rate, billions of dollars in debt, etc.

>-->> WAKE UP AMERICA! WE NEED OUR $MONEY$ IN OUR COUNTRY! <<--

American Jews and Israelis do not even like us, spit and make fun on us, as well as bashing our religion. They just want our money and support!! Google and watch Youtube to see what I'm talking about!

Keep in mind that there are many Palestinians who are Christians....

^^ No, this is nowhere near of being Anti-Semitic or Anti-Atheist – I just tell the truth and opinion! ^^

August 1, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

You're really proud of this cr@p aren't you?

How many times have you pasted this tripe into this topic today?
      In what way do you think this will help?

August 1, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • derp

"† No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'"

Happily married traditional family atheist for over two decades, two happy healthy productive grown atheist children, regularly celebrate my American and Irish culture, happily observe christmas, easter, thanksgiving, travel globally, and never ever feel like an outsider.

Have you ever actually met an atheist?

August 1, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • lamb of dog

Crack is not good for your health.

August 1, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
    • lamb of dog

This guy only comes out from under his rock to go to church.

August 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

No I don't even think he goes to church. They try to teach too much orthodoxy there. Stuff like 'love one another'.

This guy probably sits at home reading his bible and watching Fox News mangling them into his own twisted world-view.

August 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • Henry

You have a lot of nerve professing that crap and in the same breath calling yourself a good christian. You are sick. May Snoopy and Linus bless you and follow you all the days of your miserable life.

August 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

I'm an atheist. Here's a major difference between you and me. I actually wrote THIS all by myself, beginning with thinking up these words with my very own personal brain.

August 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • snowboarder

That post is just plain stupid.

August 1, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • silmaril

I was wondering how long it would be until the Westboro Baptists would chime in.

August 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • Bo

This guy needs Jesus even more than the Atheists on here....

August 2, 2012 at 9:11 am |
  20. European

Anyone who don't believe in Jesus Christ is a psychopath and need serious help.
    Read the bible and ask for help if you don't understand... it makes you feel much better!

August 1, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • derp

Anyone who does not believe in Harry Potter is a psychopath and needs serious help.
      Read Deathly Hallows and you will understand. It makes you feel much better.

August 1, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@European,

really? A psychopath?

All those Hindus, Bhuddists, Jews and Muslims too? All psychopaths?

Paranoid much?

August 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • sam

I read this post in a deep south accent and imagined banjos in the background.

August 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • LOL@"WhereWasGod"

Perfect example of blind faith correlating with ignorance.

10/10

August 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • Henry

Ha!!! Twit. Some of you folk are really funny.

August 1, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Hmmm, where have I heard this line of reasoning before? Oh, yeah, "Anyone who fails to appreciate the great glory that is the soviet socialist people's republic is obviously mentally ill and needs to be confined to an asylum." Great tradition you're emulating there, ace.

August 1, 2012 at 5:47 pm |