home
RSS
'Where was God in Aurora?' comments show Internet as church for atheists
Some atheists may ask questions on the Internet that they wouldn't have asked in church.
August 1st, 2012

'Where was God in Aurora?' comments show Internet as church for atheists

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - The Internet has become the de facto global church for atheists, agnostics and other doubters of God, who of course don’t have bricks-and-mortar churches in which to congregate.

We see this phenomenon in motion every day on the CNN Belief Blog, where atheists/agnostics/humanists are among the most zealous commenters.

Recent string of posts around the question of “Where was God in Aurora?” (such as this and this) drew especially large waves of comments that show atheists are using the Internet to commune with one another and to confront religious believers in ways that they don’t usually do in church.

Atheists and other secularists have offline organizations that stage in-person meetings - the Secular Student Alliance has seen its number of campus chapters quadruple in the last five years, to 368 - but the Internet has probably played a bigger role in the rise of the so-called New Atheism. The movement’s adherents evangelize their godlessness, just as many religious folks evangelize their God, often taking to the Belief Blog to do so.

“A lot of millennials who are coming of age have found that the Internet is a fantastic place to talk about their doubt,” says Jesse Galef, communications director for the Secular Student Alliance. “Before the Internet, there was no place for young people to do that. The only place to go was really church, and that wasn’t always a welcoming place.

“But they can go online and discuss these ideas without being judged by friends and families,” Galef says.

For closeted atheists, the Internet’s anonymity is a big draw. A coalition of national atheist groups recently launched a program to transition doubting clergy to lives of open atheism by first having ministers come out anonymously in a closed online community.

Plenty of other atheists, though, are using the Internet to connect with real, named people through Facebook and other online social networks.

“It’s the ability to access a larger community, particularly for people growing up in religiously conservative areas,” Galef says. “There is nobody they can point to to discuss their atheism or their doubts about the Bible or their morality, and the Internet provides that.”

On Sunday, a guest piece from a Colorado pastor argued that it’s possible to reconcile the idea of a sovereign God with the existence of evil and tragedy. The post has drawn 4,239 comments as of Wednesday morning, largely from atheists.

One of those comments - a letter from God penned by an atheist commenter named Colin - caught fire online. Here’s how his letter opens:

"Dear Christians:

"God here. I thought I would take the time to personally explain my absence in the Aurora shootings. While I was at it, I thought I would also explain my absence during every murder, massacre and crime that has ever taken place in world history, and in every war, in every famine, drought and flood.

"You see, I do not exist. I never have. Did it really make sense to you that I would create an entire universe with billions of billions of planets and wait about 13,700,000,000 years just so I could focus on a few Jews from Palestine about 2,000 years ago while ignoring the rest of the 200,000,000 people on the planet at the time? Did I make those few Jews or did those few Jews make me?"

The letter has been posted on reddit, where it attracted another 1,000-plus comments. (Warning: The reddit comments includes foul language.)

The vast majority of comments come from sympathetic atheists and other secularists (the discussion is reddit's atheism thread), a striking example of such folks doing church without God online. Many of those comments are deeply personal, confessional and poignant.

Here are five of the best ones. Some respond to Colin’s letter from God, others to the Colorado pastor who wrote for the Belief Blog last weekend.

1. CarbonEmitter

"I grew up religious and decided to be agnostic (as an) undergraduate. Even though I am now in my late 20s, I still feel slightly guilty because my parents try to ram religion down my throat. My mom converted to my dad's religion (from Christianity to Islam) right before having a double lung transplant in 1995. They are now super-religious and attribute her miraculous recovery to her conversion.

"Reading posts like these remind me of how ridiculous religion is and help relieve my guilt. Thank you /r/athiesm."

2. tazadar

"I like what Carl Sagan said about reassuring fables.

" 'The significance of our lives and our fragile planet is then determined only by our own wisdom and courage. We are the custodians of life's meaning. We long for a parent to care for us, to forgive us our errors, to save us from our childish mistakes. But knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable.' "

3. RyGuy2012

"You know, it really irks me to no end to read the article from the pastor, as he claims to not have an answer for why God didn't prevent the Aurora shooting, but then claims to know for sure that God is there when people come to lend their support and sympathies for the shooting victims.

"I just can't wrap my mind around this logic. Like, the pastor must find some other explanation why people are good and do good things. It can't be that people can just be good on their own. Because, apparently (our) natural normal state is to be completely uncaring and disregarding? It's just such a very sad and low opinion to have of your fellow man.

4. funfetti_cookies

"Of course, he says that. You have to scare the people before giving them a reason to listen - "I held her hand as she died." What a great way to start your article. Also don't forget to mention Columbine so people remember that tragedy as well, but then go on to explain why God still exists and this is all part of his plan. Religion is nothing more but a scare tactic to control the masses.

5. ConstipatedNinja

"I don't share this much, but I was raped twice by my pastor when I was 6. And by I don't share this much, I mean that even my own parents don't know (as a side note, he's long since dead, so there's no sense in bringing it up). I had to sit in the same room (with) him for three hours every Sunday while he told everyone - including me - how a decent human being should act. I had to for four entire years before my family moved to a different state.

"When it first happened, I had no idea what was done. I was too young to understand. ... It's indescribable. You're told all this time about this ever-loving being that made you and has planned out your entire life. You're told that he'll protect you when you need it. You're told that if you're good, then he'll be good to you. So obviously, I wasn't good. I wasn't good enough. I was created and the creator of all things looked down upon me and decided that I was a bad egg. Do you know how rough that is for a 7-year-old? I still have problems with self-esteem. …"

That comment, which has been truncated above, provoked an outpouring of sympathy and support on reddit, including this comment:

rumpelstiltskin1

"This stuff is why I love Reddit. Yeah we are a room full of strangers but when it comes down to it we're a community. I love reading the stories of others and reading the heartfelt replies. I love that anyone can express themselves honestly and it will be well-received here (usually). And although this one is a little cheeky, I love that I can learn valuable life lessons of self-acceptance and being able to move on from a guy named ConstipatedNinja. Thank you for sharing your story, and I admire the willingness to share such a personal story; it's truly inspirational."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Colorado • Violence

soundoff (4,699 Responses)
  1. quixoticle

Wow. "The internet has become a church for atheists." Really? I mean, are you kidding me? Do you have your head so far up your own rear end you can't see how ridiculous that notion is?

August 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • cestlavie3

Now now.

August 1, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • ScottCA

Well said.

The religous are so indoctrinated and delusional that they cannot imagine a person forming a conclusion without the need of it being falsely validated by a church or congregation.

Atheists do not require a church or congregation, beause we use logic and reason to form our own conclusions that do not need any false validation by others.

The only people shocked at the atheist comments are the religous that have been lied to about how numerous their following is. There are far less believers out there than you have been led to believe there are.

August 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • realbuckyball

It's what's called a "singularity". Their head is SO far up their a'ss, they can no longer see their own event horizon. 😈

August 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • John

The only real difference between Atheist's, Agnostic's and believers is that Atheist's and Agnostics treat people decent because it is a core value and believers do it through fear of eternal damnation.

Atheist's and Agnostics treat people badly because it is a core value and believers do it because God gave them free will – and they can always ask for forgiveness anyway.

August 1, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
  2. cestlavie3

As always, God remains undeterred.

August 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

Yup. He's planning his next attack already.

August 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  3. JD

As an atheist I don't really feel the need to "congregate" with other atheists, because for me it's the absence of religious brainwashing that makes life enjoyable; I don't want to spend my time mulling it over constantly.

However, the sad reality is that religious nutjobs are constantly trying to push their faith-based agendas on what is supposed to be a secular political system, which affects all of us, so it makes sense for atheists (and anyone, basically, who holds sacred the First Amendment) to band together and be vigilant against such people.

As Christopher Hitchens said, religion is like a toy. If you want to play with it by yourself, or get together with some others and play with it together, that's fine. But as soon as you start to force others to play with it, well, then we have a serious problem.

August 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
  4. Epicurus

I god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, he is not omnipotent.
    If he is able, but not willing, he is malevolent.
    If he is both able and willing, where does evil come from ?
    Then why call him god ?

August 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
  5. ArthurP

Damn that was close I just managed to get the toilet paper to computer screen before all that written diarrhea spilled on to my desk.

August 1, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
  6. SixDegrees

Based on the world's history, if God was in that theater he was laughing his a ss off, clapping and yelling "More! More!"

August 1, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
  7. MennoKnight

Atheists are the nosiest 2% in America.

August 1, 2012 at 7:01 pm |
    • William

Yeah, I agree. At least, they are every bit as noisy as evangelicals, and every bit as judgmental. How about we ALL just take a chill pill and let each other have our own beliefs without having to be offended? Wouldn't that be nice?

August 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • No Truth, Just Claims

Really?

I don't drive down the street and see atheist buildings every half mile with signs about how they don't believe and what will happen to those who do believe. Atheists are not trying to stop the gov't from treating people equally under the law because of their lack of belief. Atheists don't knock on my door with blank pieces of paper, ect, ect..

August 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • sam

So the only atheists you mental giants have likely ever run into are here on this board, and so you decide that's all atheists?

August 1, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • sam

And I have yet to see an atheist trying to get a law passed that would cause everyone to live by the tenets of a book.

August 1, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • Orem

Strange thought, that. All laws unwritten, sam?

August 1, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • joe....no

@william-I would love for that to be the case. Unfortunately we live in a great country governed by religion. I think most atheists would be ok with just letting people believe what they want to...until those beliefs dictate law, society, equality, politics, friendships, etc....oh wait....they already do

August 1, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  8. Joe

Love without free will is meaningless. God could force us to believe in him and love him but what would be the point? He gave us free will, out of love, so we can make choices for ourselves – we are masters of our own destiny. These choices include whether to commit heinous crimes or not. As bad as the countless crimes against humanity throughout history are, they are a reminder of the free will that God gave us out of love.

August 1, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • William

I like that, Joe...good comment!

August 1, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • joe....no

And why do you think people believed in god when the bible was first written? Because they were scared into believing so....athiests have free will because we are rational people. those who believe in god have been mislead for generations in the belief that god is good and merciful. Show me one example of a generous, accepting, all loving god and I will show you ten of a spiteful, exclusive, selfish, hateful god. God didnt create free will. Rational humans created it

August 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • No Truth, Just Claims

Well god could give us a reason to think he actually exists, instead of bronze age mythology.

August 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • CJP

Exactly! I agree, entirely. Many people ask how a loving God could allow children to die, but if a person thinks about it, God can't interfere or people could just leave their toddlers at home alone...or throw them off buildings and they'd just bounce and giggle...it just wouldn't make sense. Why would we need to teach children to swim if they could never drown? How bizarre would it be to have no accidents? Maybe God does decide to interfere with our world at times (just random enough to not tip the scales of proof of his existence). Those "times" are what we believe to be miracles! 🙂

August 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • joe....no

@CJP–you are missing the whole "proof of existence" point. MIracles as you say do not prove a god, they are not a way of saying "look!I'm real so keep going to church!" Miracles are simply outliers. I had a miracle happen to my friend the other day-he was walking down the street and a drunk driver nearly ran into him on the sidewalk. He missed. Was it a miracle? Actually I might say yes. Except it didnt happen. However you have no proof that it didnt happen so go ahead and believe it. it may seem stupid...but thats what thousands of people do everyday. Believe in something without any proof. i can make up any miracle and by your logic, it is proof of god.

August 1, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
    • silmaril

Uh huh. It's your choice to love me or burn in hell forever is a MUCH better way to do it.

August 1, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@Joe

Hi -Joe...

" Love without free will is meaningless. God could force us to believe in him and love him but what would be the point?"

Unfortunately, -Joe... your whole posting is starting out with an unproven speculative premises... 1)That there *is* a God.

2)Said God *is* as you *believe*

Those are just a couple... I think you can figure out the rest.

Peace...

August 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
  9. Frank

Atheist and Agnostics have no foundation from which to argue why the events of Aurora or any tragedy for that matter are wrong or evil.

By what standard of ethics do they argue from? Cultural, biological, convention? Any answer will be arbitrary conjecture, mere opinion and pragmatic apart from a presupposition of The Christian God as he has revealed himself to his creation in scriptures of the Christian bible.

The only way anyone can claim that something is evil, tragic or good, is to presuppose an objective standard for ethics which can only come from the Christian God (Romans 1:18-23).

Concerning this issue Dr. Cornelius Van Til (1979) writes:

"And therefore the real question between the two positions has not even been touched unless it be asked upon what foundation the non-Christian can make his objections to Christianity intelligible. On what foundation rest the guns which he directs against the Christian position?

When this question is considered, it appears that this placement is the truth of Christianity itself. In other words, the non-Christian needs the truth of the Christian religion in order to attack it.

As a child needs to sit on the lap of its father in order to slap the father’s face, so the unbeliever, as a creature, needs God the Creator and providential controller of the universe in order to oppose this God. Without this God, the place on which he stands does not exist. He cannot stand in a vacuum (D3 The Offer of Common Victory Over Evil)."

Van Til, C. (1979). Essays on Christian education. The Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Company: Phillipsburg, NJ.

August 1, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • Standing on my head, trying any way I can to rationalise god's absense

You don't get to cook up a god, just to satisfy your arguments.
      The origins of psychopathy are known to Neuroscience.

August 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
  10. ArthurP

God was just doing a recall of damaged souls and using the shooter as the tool to do it.

August 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • WorkInProgress

funny how those that don't know God or even believe in God can explain what God was doing

August 1, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • ArthurP

funny how those that say they know God and believe in God can't agree on an explanation as to what God was doing

August 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • sam

I wish he'd just do what car companies do, and put out a notice, then. Because of car companies recalled things the same way, they'd be out there with a rocket launcher blowing up every vehicle they need.

August 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
  11. HighDudgeonAZ

Dear CNN,

The Internet is a church for atheists? Oh, come on, CNN. Are your copy editors so underpaid or lazy they can't even Google a simple definition of a word? That's just sloppy. It's also a bit mean-spirited and arrogant. I would expect this kind of abuse of the English language from a cognitive deficient like Rick Warren; I expect more from a news organization.

August 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
  12. lamb of dog

So I figure god wants only crazy people to worship him. If e did bury all those dinosaur bones to test our faith. Doesn't it seem like you would have to be nuts to believe that.

August 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • yo yo

I laugh every time they come up with the old "god is testing you" trick. Reminds me of when people make an erroneous statement and say "oh, I was just testing you" just to save face. Funny how they can never explain the reason god needs to do so much testing if his creation is perfect.

August 1, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
  13. Catherine

Everyday we all make choices, which was a gift from GOD. Short and sweet, I have read that the movie they were seeing was very violent, as many movies are today. You can be sure that satan was there that day and every day. You do have a right to make your choices, however it's very sad to think that you with this choice will all just die one day. No hope, how sad.

August 1, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • lamb of dog

Baseless hope how sad.

August 1, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

No Catherine, you're sad.

August 1, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • Standing on my head, trying any way I can to rationalise god's absense

Hey dumbo, if "satan was there", it ain't no choice. Do you ever engage your brain cells ?

August 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • freethinker

but it was god who want to take our freewill away. It was Satan who give us free choice, thur eve and the snake. Now because of eve action, god send flood and death to us, trying to take our freewill away. Show your support of Satan, the one true god for humankind, god the evil reincarnate will always as men to worship him, but Satan will never askl such thing.

August 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • Observer

Catharine,

So Satan was there and God wasn't. Is that somehow supposed to reflect well on God?

August 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • No, Catherine, you are wrong and ignorant and stupid and deluded

I pity you. Yes, we will all die. YOU, however, are the one without any hope.

I have plenty of hope that all ignorant religious nutwhacks will some day open their eyes and see just how ignorant they are.

August 1, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • sam

So they shouldn't have been seeing a violent movie, and they'd be safe if they hadn't? What the...this is Batman's fault. Goddamn Batman! I knew it.

August 1, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • silmaril

And of course there's no violence in the bible...
      And Yahweh never ordered whole towns slaughtered, including women, children, babies and livestock.

August 1, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
  14. Jack

Hello folks. Everyone is invited to visit – thestarofkaduri.com

August 1, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
  15. Chris in WI

I love how because I don't believe in an invisible man in the sky (I used to... but then I grew up and learned about "reality"), I'm the crazy one?!!?! How does a book written when the earth was flat and at the center of the universe have any truth in it about the real work we live in? The first book has god making day and night and then making the sun 2 days later.. logic FAIL! How do you make day/night on the first day when the source of day/night (the Sun) isn't "created" until the 4th day? Unerroring 100% devine word of God my foot, people didn't know any better so they GUESSED!

Religion is based on belief... Science is based on truth. If something is proven wrong in religion it takes hundreds of years sometimes to change those beliefs... science changes what is true the moment you prove otherwise.

August 1, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

We found African artifacts this week dating back 44,000 years. I guess the bible is wrong, huh?

August 1, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • lamb of dog

God put them there to test your faith.

August 1, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
  16. yo yo

Want to know the difference between religous people and non-religous people? It's zilch, zero, nothing, nada, squat didley. We all are born, die, eat, drink, breathe, sleep, sweat, dispose of bodily waste, get tired, get sick, bleed red and so forth. The difference only exists in the minds of religious people as they think they are separate, special, blessed, holly, healed, saintly, chosen, specially loved, looked after, protected, set aside, promised eternal life, wiser, smarter, more loving, more humane, nicer, etc.

August 1, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

The difference is perception of reality and morality.

August 1, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • William

Yoyo, the negative things you describe are just as true for agnostics and atheists as Christians...simply reading posts from these people should convince you of that. Arrogance, intolerance, etc. etc. etc. For every intolerant religious person, you'll find an intolerant atheist. Please don't mistake the vocal evangelical (a very small minority) for the billions of religious people who carry their religious views quietly and in a person manner. My strong guess is that the majority of people around you DO believe in God...what percentage of them have acted arrogantly to you? As for arrogance, smarter than you, etc., if there's a hallmark characteristic of atheists, it is a very vocal belief that those of us who DO believe are in fact stupid, ignorant, etc.

I'm a strong skeptic about all aspects of life, but I've also had experiences that convince me there's more going on than we understand. A belief in a divine being doesn't HAVE to be the biblical notion of a man with flowing beard always looking down from on high. Or maybe it can...to quote from "Deep Impact"... "I believe that God hears all prayers, even when the answer is no." In any case, I don't deride you for your beliefs and I'm quite sure I'm just intelligent and cognitively complex as you; please don't deride me for mine. Take care and have a good evening!

August 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • cestlavie3

Actually, none of those superlatives, just redeemed through no merit of their own.

August 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • yo yo

@William, where in my statement do I mention something negative? If you see negatives where there are none, that's not my fault. My point was simply that there is no differenence between religious, or for that matter, spiritial people (vocal or quiet, minority or majority) and non-relitious people, NONE. You seemed to have understood this in your first sentence, but then went on to comment about a lot of stuff that I never said. Also, I never derided anyone for their beliefs or called them arrogant and I'm sure you are an intelligent and cognitively complex person although not very good at careful reading.

August 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
  17. majav

Closet atheists? Are you kidding me? "Communing" with other atheists online? What? Only the religiously misguided would try to use the language of religion and oppression to try to box in free thinkers. What closet? Atheists don't use closets any more than Christians do. Atheists might debate or find support online, but communing?

Atheists don't meet to "pray the gods away" and even if they did, I can assure you there would be no tasteless wafers being passed about. Atheists don't drink blood or eat bodies- metaphorically or otherwise. Christian communion is ritualized cannibalism- not exactly appetizing.

Atheists generally don't organize unless there is an assault on personal liberty such as forcing school prayer. Atheists have nothing to prove. Atheists accept reality. This makes Christians squirm. Any esoteric sufferings over why people think differently than you is of no concern to me. I don't suffer at all over anyone who believes in Santa Claus. I actually think it is mildly amusing. Christians should use that same tact.

Please don't waste your time in praying for "my soul" when I choose not to have one. (I can just see some Christians fainting and collapsing over the realization that none of us have souls!) We are chemical reactions- nothing more. Go put some peanut butter and jelly on those wafers and see how much better they taste. You'll feel better too. Nothing like low blood sugar to bring out the devil in you.

August 1, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • lamb of dog

Oooh. I want a leg. I like the dark meat.

August 1, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
    • kaune

The only reason for using the language of religion to talk about the atheists is to perpetuate the notion that atheism is another form of religion. If it is another form of religion and we truly embrace the separation of church and state, then we cannot allow the discussion of atheism in our public schools, since it is simply another form of religion. *Anytime* somebody tries to wrap religion around atheism they need to be quickly disabused of that deception

August 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • Standing on my head, trying any way I can to rationalise god's absense

They also don't need to explain the world in old paradigms. The internet is NO "church". This guy must be at least 75.

August 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • jeanie

Majav, relax, the word commune/communing isn't religious. It means 'to share one's intimate thoughts and feelings' ('to commune with nature') It has been used a lot in religion but is not a word specific to religious feeling or thought. People DO share their intimate thoughts and feelings here, therefore we 'commune'.

August 1, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
  18. John

Borrowed from Marcus Aurelius, this is the last word on the subject

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

August 1, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Hey John!

I like that one!

August 1, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • Orem

"Live a good life ... then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

August 1, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Orem

I like yours better!

August 1, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Marco

Brilliant quote John – thanks!

August 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • William

I've used that quote before...it's a great one. Aurelius was a really interesting person and there are some great quotes from him.

August 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • William

You might, "Voice", but recognize the openness and tolerance of the original quote.

August 1, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
  19. jason

all anyone has to do is look back to to the dark ages when almost everyone was christian and god fearing. our society was so ignorant and in such misery during that time that it actually took islamic religious fighters to help us out of our ignorance and usher in the renaissance through greek teachings and science and math. please christians you had thousands of years of living under your perspective and it was ugly , lets just forget this idea of god and live together as humans and explore the universe around us . maybe then we can discover what we are seeking

August 1, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Yes, the Muslims came up with some very good ideas.

They imported the concept of zero from India.

They organized and labeled algebra (Al-Jabra) for us too.

August 1, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
  20. Joe

The only thing I can say is, I don't know about God or the existence of deities.

August 1, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • lamb of dog

So god is this make believe fairytale that man created to help himself feel OK when he was unable to explain something......

August 1, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • sybaris

The christian god in a nutsh.ell. A deity that allegedly created the first "perfect" humans out of dirt. They "sinned" by eating fruit out of a magic tree at the behest of a talking snake. To correct this problem this same god killed every living thing on the planet with a global flood except for a family and two of everything else living. Later, when humans went on their merry way and started "sinning" again this same god ra.ped the virgin wife of this guy named Joseph in order to recreate itself (why it couldn't do the dirt thing again is anybody's guess). At then end of this offspring's life it shows up, attracts unwanted attention and commits suicide by cop in order to atone for the "original" sin that it's own creation committed (why this omniscient god didn't see that coming is anybody's guess). But actually it didn't atone or sacrifice anything cause what good is flesh and blood to a god anyway. It just went back to it's original form and fluttered off to the sky. So now we are all supposedly waiting for a battle between this god and the talking snake, bad stuff happens, you die, she dies everybody dies and those that believed in the god live for eternity in a lobotomy-like bliss.

......and christians think hindu's are whacko.

August 1, 2012 at 6:57 pm |