home
RSS
'Where was God in Aurora?' comments show Internet as church for atheists
Some atheists may ask questions on the Internet that they wouldn't have asked in church.
August 1st, 2012

'Where was God in Aurora?' comments show Internet as church for atheists

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - The Internet has become the de facto global church for atheists, agnostics and other doubters of God, who of course don’t have bricks-and-mortar churches in which to congregate.

We see this phenomenon in motion every day on the CNN Belief Blog, where atheists/agnostics/humanists are among the most zealous commenters.

Recent string of posts around the question of “Where was God in Aurora?” (such as this and this) drew especially large waves of comments that show atheists are using the Internet to commune with one another and to confront religious believers in ways that they don’t usually do in church.

Atheists and other secularists have offline organizations that stage in-person meetings - the Secular Student Alliance has seen its number of campus chapters quadruple in the last five years, to 368 - but the Internet has probably played a bigger role in the rise of the so-called New Atheism. The movement’s adherents evangelize their godlessness, just as many religious folks evangelize their God, often taking to the Belief Blog to do so.

“A lot of millennials who are coming of age have found that the Internet is a fantastic place to talk about their doubt,” says Jesse Galef, communications director for the Secular Student Alliance. “Before the Internet, there was no place for young people to do that. The only place to go was really church, and that wasn’t always a welcoming place.

“But they can go online and discuss these ideas without being judged by friends and families,” Galef says.

For closeted atheists, the Internet’s anonymity is a big draw. A coalition of national atheist groups recently launched a program to transition doubting clergy to lives of open atheism by first having ministers come out anonymously in a closed online community.

Plenty of other atheists, though, are using the Internet to connect with real, named people through Facebook and other online social networks.

“It’s the ability to access a larger community, particularly for people growing up in religiously conservative areas,” Galef says. “There is nobody they can point to to discuss their atheism or their doubts about the Bible or their morality, and the Internet provides that.”

On Sunday, a guest piece from a Colorado pastor argued that it’s possible to reconcile the idea of a sovereign God with the existence of evil and tragedy. The post has drawn 4,239 comments as of Wednesday morning, largely from atheists.

One of those comments - a letter from God penned by an atheist commenter named Colin - caught fire online. Here’s how his letter opens:

"Dear Christians:

"God here. I thought I would take the time to personally explain my absence in the Aurora shootings. While I was at it, I thought I would also explain my absence during every murder, massacre and crime that has ever taken place in world history, and in every war, in every famine, drought and flood.

"You see, I do not exist. I never have. Did it really make sense to you that I would create an entire universe with billions of billions of planets and wait about 13,700,000,000 years just so I could focus on a few Jews from Palestine about 2,000 years ago while ignoring the rest of the 200,000,000 people on the planet at the time? Did I make those few Jews or did those few Jews make me?"

The letter has been posted on reddit, where it attracted another 1,000-plus comments. (Warning: The reddit comments includes foul language.)

The vast majority of comments come from sympathetic atheists and other secularists (the discussion is reddit's atheism thread), a striking example of such folks doing church without God online. Many of those comments are deeply personal, confessional and poignant.

Here are five of the best ones. Some respond to Colin’s letter from God, others to the Colorado pastor who wrote for the Belief Blog last weekend.

1. CarbonEmitter

"I grew up religious and decided to be agnostic (as an) undergraduate. Even though I am now in my late 20s, I still feel slightly guilty because my parents try to ram religion down my throat. My mom converted to my dad's religion (from Christianity to Islam) right before having a double lung transplant in 1995. They are now super-religious and attribute her miraculous recovery to her conversion.

"Reading posts like these remind me of how ridiculous religion is and help relieve my guilt. Thank you /r/athiesm."

2. tazadar

"I like what Carl Sagan said about reassuring fables.

" 'The significance of our lives and our fragile planet is then determined only by our own wisdom and courage. We are the custodians of life's meaning. We long for a parent to care for us, to forgive us our errors, to save us from our childish mistakes. But knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable.' "

3. RyGuy2012

"You know, it really irks me to no end to read the article from the pastor, as he claims to not have an answer for why God didn't prevent the Aurora shooting, but then claims to know for sure that God is there when people come to lend their support and sympathies for the shooting victims.

"I just can't wrap my mind around this logic. Like, the pastor must find some other explanation why people are good and do good things. It can't be that people can just be good on their own. Because, apparently (our) natural normal state is to be completely uncaring and disregarding? It's just such a very sad and low opinion to have of your fellow man.

4. funfetti_cookies

"Of course, he says that. You have to scare the people before giving them a reason to listen - "I held her hand as she died." What a great way to start your article. Also don't forget to mention Columbine so people remember that tragedy as well, but then go on to explain why God still exists and this is all part of his plan. Religion is nothing more but a scare tactic to control the masses.

5. ConstipatedNinja

"I don't share this much, but I was raped twice by my pastor when I was 6. And by I don't share this much, I mean that even my own parents don't know (as a side note, he's long since dead, so there's no sense in bringing it up). I had to sit in the same room (with) him for three hours every Sunday while he told everyone - including me - how a decent human being should act. I had to for four entire years before my family moved to a different state.

"When it first happened, I had no idea what was done. I was too young to understand. ... It's indescribable. You're told all this time about this ever-loving being that made you and has planned out your entire life. You're told that he'll protect you when you need it. You're told that if you're good, then he'll be good to you. So obviously, I wasn't good. I wasn't good enough. I was created and the creator of all things looked down upon me and decided that I was a bad egg. Do you know how rough that is for a 7-year-old? I still have problems with self-esteem. …"

That comment, which has been truncated above, provoked an outpouring of sympathy and support on reddit, including this comment:

rumpelstiltskin1

"This stuff is why I love Reddit. Yeah we are a room full of strangers but when it comes down to it we're a community. I love reading the stories of others and reading the heartfelt replies. I love that anyone can express themselves honestly and it will be well-received here (usually). And although this one is a little cheeky, I love that I can learn valuable life lessons of self-acceptance and being able to move on from a guy named ConstipatedNinja. Thank you for sharing your story, and I admire the willingness to share such a personal story; it's truly inspirational."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Colorado • Violence

soundoff (4,699 Responses)
  1. Hogarth

There is no god. Please – give it up, already. We are here on this rock in space, all alone, and we have just got to deal with it. It's still an amazing place – actually even more amazing without a god than with one.

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Anon.

It is a tragedy that 98% of Americans are scientifically illiterate. They have no idea how fantastic reality is compared to deprecated, late bronze-age middle eastern myths founded by illiterate goat herders.

August 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • cestlavie3

"There is no God". Fascinating, if not somewhat brazen conclusion from a mere finite being who is here and gone in less than a mere century. Quite impressive.

August 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • Mass Debater

If we didn't have photographic evidence the religious would still think a God pulls the sun through the sky each day on his chariot... and even then there are still some who believe the world flat and that the moonwalk was faked.

August 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • Pete

Go to Hell Hogarth, and you will

August 1, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  2. .

Fvck atheists your morons

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Raider

you're*

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • brickyardjimmy

What a silly discussion.

I get the feeling that atheists and agnostics don't really have a problem with the concept of God so much as the totally full of horsecrap humans that think they speak for God and know what God is. Which they don't. Christianity (and most other organized religions) are little more than marketers and branders who peddle something that should have been as free as breathable air. It's not that I don't believe in God, I just have trouble believing in humans.

August 1, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • kenny

you are an ignorant fool and will live a lesser life because of it... believing in the fairy tale of everlasting joy in heaven is a guarantee to RUIN your one and only existence which is here and now... and will one day end... forever and all time

August 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • ScottCA

You are commiting the logical fallacy of Ad Hominem.
      Atracking the point maker rather than the points.

August 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
  3. Pete

Where was God in Aurora? Laughing his ass off. Where else would he be? You Stupid people. That would be the same thing as asking where was God during every war ever created? Why isn't God there to stop every single bad thing? BECAUSE HE DOESN'T HAVE TO!!!!

FOOLS!!!

August 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • kenny

a rational and logical answer would be that he does not exist and was created by us so we wouldn't have to face the harsh reality of death that takes us and our loved ones away FOREVER...

August 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • Anon.

That's what psychologists call projection: an ignorant fool calling someone of higher intellect and learning a fool. How very foolish. And sad, and pathetic.

August 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Pete

You are correct ANON, you ARE a very ignorant, sad, foolish and pathetic idiot. At least you are aware of all of your glaring shortcomings. Glad that someone of your lower learning was able to admit to them. Now crawl in your hole and die

August 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
  4. Antal

All that I am going to say is that if the entire world wholeheartedly believed in Christianity or God, it would be a lot better place. I can not honestly say the same about atheism. Even if there is no God, if people are doing good in this world, why try to change that? So many of you atheists somehow KNOW that there is no God. I think it takes more faith to be atheist than otherwise. Every piece of evidence that there is no God can easily be countered using the same logic. So leave Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Mormons or any other religion that you may encounter alone. The reason that you post anonomysly is the same probable reason that you're atheist to begin with: you are afraid of judgment. I pity you. God bless America and those killed in the Aurora massacre.

August 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • Bonjour

atheists are the main problem and issues in our religious society.... they belong to China and North Korea, a godless communist countries.

August 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • Snowdog

Amen Antal. Well stated.

August 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • tony

Years of evidence FOR god since big bang, zero. AGAINST, 13 Billion.

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

We can only hope that is all you're going to say.

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • No Truth, Just Claims

"All that I am going to say is that if the entire world wholeheartedly believed in Christianity or God, it would be a lot better place"

That was called the dark ages...

August 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • Mass Debater

Soooo, how often have you been woken up on a Saturday morning by an atheist at your door? How often do you find atheists with pickets out front of your Church? How often do you actually see an atheist bilboard compared to a Christian bilboard? When was the last time you were told by an atheist that if you don't change your beliefs you are going to burn for eternity? When was the last time you saw or even heard of an atheist commit a crime? When was the last time you heard about a Christian or a person of another religion commit a crime? I can think of several off the top of my head within the last few months.

My point is, you don't really know any atheists, you just have a poor view of them because you know nothing about them but imagine it's horrible and terrible without your security blanket of a God. The only atheists you likely know are just the ones you read on these boards and some can get quite blasphemous, though it's really quite a trick to blaspheme something no one can prove exists and has no penalty unless one of the deitys followers decides to take matters into their own hands, which of course they have done for thousands of years and have more innocent blood on their hands than the plague.

August 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Proud Agnostic

I'm not surprised that your statement has no basis in reality. Pay close attention:
      The least religious countries in the world are the most peaceful. Again:
      The least religious countries in the world are the most peaceful.
      Religion fuels hatred and war. A world without religion would be a world filled with science and logic. The human spirit would be revered and we would live much better lives. Get over religion. Get with the truth. Thanks!

August 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • Antal

No Truth, Just Claims: Ah, good point. But did religious leaders in the dark ages truly fear God? They did not practice the teachings of God, but rather used that power for control. I meant, as I stated, anyone who FULLY believes in Christianity or a vast majority of other religions will be more likely to do good. Are you going to claim that Christ actually tought that Priests should use Christianity to control the masses, or kill thousands in the the name of God? I dont believe that that was actually Christianity.

August 1, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • Antal

Mass Debater, I actually know plenty of atheists. In fact, most of my friends are. But they don't try to talk me out of being a Catholic.

August 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • kenny

if you could keep your bs religion to yourselves you'd never hear a peep from atheists, but you can't seem to do that and have to spout it all over the place and FORCE it on other people or USE it to justify hate, bigotry etc... so now the intelligent, well informed, smart atheists who understand the world around us and the universe have to come out and scold the children who can't handle reality and wanna believe in fairy tales about how the REAL WORLD works... and its gonna be really really painful the longer and harder you believe in ur bs fairy tales...

August 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"anyone who FULLY believes in Christianity or a vast majority of other religions will be more likely to do good."

"Anyone who is found will be thrust through, And anyone who is captured will fall by the sword. 16 Their little ones also will be dashed to pieces Before their eyes; Their houses will be plundered And their wives ravished." Isaiah 13: 15-16

Yup, anyone who REALLY believes is likely to justify whatever evil they believe their God wants them to commit, they just rename it "good".

August 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • Antal

Proud Agnostic, North Korea and China are both countries with a national "religion" of atheism. The USSR had an atheistic policy. Dont treat me like some country hick that thinks that Obama is the Antichrist. I was actually raised in an agnostic family. And most religions do not fuel war. Even with the crusades, was that really religion fueling it or corruption of religion by a few power hungry leaders? Just a thought

August 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • ScottCA

Christian fundamentalist groups are right now fighting for the right to teach over 1 million young girls in fundamentalist churches that they must always be subserviant to men.
      Right now there are children whose health and protective laws have been eroded by christians imposing so called faith based healing practices that endanger the lives of children.
      Christianity has an abhorrent history in regards to morality.

Christianity kills countless people each day by holding back life saving stemcell research. No other health science today has as much promise as stem cell research, and thanks to christians holding stemcell research in the US back in the darkages, countless people remain blind and dying, each day that could have been saved, if not for christianity.

The effect of believing in a lie, is always the same. Ignorance breds unnecessary suffering.
      Believing in one lie sends ripple of distortions into all areas of study. And leads to political choices based on lies and misinformation.

Christianity is based on a lie, and belief in a lie offers only empty hope. Truth offers real hope, and truth can be deduced through the rational process of logical deduction. Nothing describes reality with more predictive power than Scientific method.

History has shown us time and again that Christianity has been wrong and science has correctly described the universe and what lies beyond the universe is now being explored by science. The lies of faith based religions are not imaginative enough to capture what really exists in this universe and beyond.

August 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"All that I am going to say is that if the entire world wholeheartedly believed in Christianity or God, it would be a lot better place."

It could also be said "All that I am going to say is that if the entire world wholeheartedly believed in the Muslim God, it would be a lot better place."

Muslim's are only told to kill infidels and non-believers, so if everyone was Muslim then there wouldn't be anymore violence, right?

And if everyone were a Christian, there wouldn't be any conflicts among the followers as to who is "more" Christian or "true" Christians?

You live in a fantasy world of magic and spirits and illusions and there is a name for that, it's called being delusional.

August 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • ScottCA

Mass Debater, Christians killing Christians? Like Catholics killing prodestants? Nah that could never happen?? I mean for that to happen we would have to live in a world with a place called Northern Ireland or something crazy like that.

Oh wait, I just had a look at google maps and..... Oh no... northern ireland is real!

August 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
  5. Bonjour

It's sad to see that atheists raise their children godless in this society when the majority believe in God and there are scientific and historical evidence that Jesus existed. No wonder why we have murders and thieves.... 🙁

August 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Mass Debater

Funny then how rare it is to find an atheist in prison...

August 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Please site the scientific evidence of jesus please?

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • .

99.9% of prison population are atheists, buddhists and muslims.

August 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • Anon.

The US prison population is comprised of 81% believers (compared to 78% in the general population). Atheists comprise 96% of the most eminent scientists. Which is supported by reputable evidence. You, on the other hand... your bigotry of non-theists is founded entirely upon ignorance.

August 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • Jesus was the original zombie

and 100% of .'s facts are made up.

August 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • ArthurP

I want to see Jesus's long for birth certificate.

August 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • ScottCA

History records a man by the name of Jesus existing, and compaired to other false prophets of his era, his message was for the most part a step forward morally. But he was no son of God and there is no scientific evidence of his being the son of god, there is no evidence at all.
      Furthermore there is no evidence of the existance of god.

In behavioural science there have been repeated tests of so called power of prayer, the outcome has always been 0 effect. The effect of prayer upon people is only equal to a placebo effect, when someone is made aware that another person is praying for them. In other words you can get the exact same effect by taking a suger pill, that a doctor lies to you and says is a powerful medicne that can save you. The suger "placebo pill" does nothing, just as prayer does nothing.

August 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
  6. Ontario

CNN should block, ban and ignore all atheists here. Stop giving them too much freedom!

August 1, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • Blame the deserving

This mirrors their general opinion of your freedom of speech. Both are wrong, of course.

August 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • kenny

religion is dying.. along with those old sad pathetic fools that NEED it to be true, because they lived a life of lies and now they face death and can't accept they will no longer exist FOREVER... it must be really really scary... its always the hard truth that no one can accept and so they resist until they're dying breath and then its toooo late...

August 1, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
  7. Islam

It is proven that atheists are uneducated.... why no atheist president yet??

August 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • sam

I'm going to sit back and watch the fun on this one.

August 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • realbuckyball

As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?
      - John Adams, letter to FA Van der Kamp, December 27, 1816

August 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Bonjour

Hitler was an atheist and led them to do it because of his cult

August 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

Sorry, Hitler was not an atheist.

August 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Islam

Please provide the proof that atheist's are uneducated.

August 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • No Truth, Just Claims

There have been, just not in this country..

August 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

And then explain how that bullplucky is not a Non-sequitur.

August 1, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • Raider

Hitler was not an athiest, he was in fact, a christian.

August 1, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Bonjour

You are really showing how f*ucking stupid you are there boney maroney!

August 1, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • ArthurP

Because Christians with in the United States would rather elect a Christian bent on turning the United States into an inherited Dictatorship, Syria, than for an Atheist who would return to you the freedoms you had in 1776.

August 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • cavediver

@Islam Why no atheist president? Because we are a direct threat to the two party system. Religion is the main element that allows Republicans to be elected to office. No Republicans, then the 2 party system falls..and the rich will have to come up with something else to keep a angry public diverted. Get mad at Democrat, elect a Republican , back and forth..

the system needs believers to function as designed.

August 1, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
    • Anon.

"Hitler was not an athiest, he was in fact, a christian."

He was a fanatical Christian, and a Roman Catholic. By his own admission, and the evidence is accessible to all courtesy of the Internet.

August 1, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
  8. cubsfan2329

I've been a follower of Christ all my life.. I'm 24. Nothing can ever separate me from God and his love. God loves the world and every person in it.... nothing can ever change that. Some don't believe He's there.. but he is and He is waiting for you to seek Him out.. you will find him if you truly want to find him..

August 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • Colin

Yes Cubsfan, one should not let facts interfere with a good theory....

August 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • sam

Have at it. Just don't try and make your belief the law of the land, and we're cool.

August 1, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • cubsfan2329

Spreading the Word of God is a passion that burns inside me and helping people is another passion... I can't sit here and read all these comments and not say anything. It's not up to me to force you to believe, but i can still talk about what i believe and know as truth

August 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Antal

Amen

August 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Snowdog

Amen cubsfan Amen.

August 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • ArthurP

cubsfan2329

Believe what you want, just don't legislate it.

August 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • cestlavie3

Do not lose heart. The majority here cling to empirical data as the sole criteria for determining truth. Faith is of little value. Unless God intervenes, they will remain in their unbelief.

August 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • silmaril

and if you don't find him... burn in hellfire for all eternity. Nice god you got there.

August 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • cubsfan2329

August 1, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • silmaril

CNN evidently ate my first attempt at this post.

cubsfan2329 said: "Hell is the penalty for sin... and we are all sinners. Christ paid the price with his blood so we don't have to suffer in hell."

Let's start with original sin. Did god know in advance that Adam and Eve would eat from the tree of knowledge? He's supposed to be omniscient. So by setting up a situation where he knew in advance that Adam and Eve would "sin" he becomes responsible for that happening. It's certainly not Adam and Eve's fault, because they had no idea what sin even was before they ate the fruit and god could have prevented it from happening. Thus, original sin is god's fault and if anyone should be punished under his rules it should be him. Instead he curses the two humans and all their descendants.

Now he's able to just state that all humans are evil by default. How convenient.

So, later, god decides that he doesn't like this state of affairs that he engineered. He cooks up a weird scheme to make a loophole in the rules he himself created. He buds a piece of himself off and sacrifices it to himself. This piece of himself assumes the blame for the evil he put in people because of his earlier screw up. The catch is, you have to believe it if you want to be forgiven and go to "paradise". If you don't, you get tortured for eternity - for not believing a story. A story, which, on its face, is nonsensical. Why go through all these strange convolutions? Why not just forgive people and send them all to heaven? Isn't god supposed to be all loving?

It gets worse. Remember that little thing about god being omniscient? God knows who's going to hell before they're even born. So he purposefully creates people (who he's supposed to love) that he knows, without a doubt, will be tortured for eternity. Tell me again how god is supposed to be all good? I'm not seeing it.

I'm sure some of you are shouting "FREE WILL!" at the screen by now. Where is the free will in the above scenario? God KNOWS before you are created that you are going to burn in hell for eternity. Can you do anything which will change your fate? God has perfect knowledge, if he's foreseen that you're going to burn - you're going to burn. You may have the illusion of choice, but it's only that - an illusion.

Going to heaven isn't really all that much better. From all that I've been told, heaven is a place without sin. How is that compatible with it's inhabitants having free will? So something that was so important that you had when you were on Earth – the ability to do what you wanted and have choice – is stripped from you. How is that even YOU anymore? I would also like to know why, if god can make heaven a place without sin and have humans there, he was unable to do that on Earth in the first place. Additionally, if god can make you unable to sin in heaven, why does it matter what you did on Earth? You're still not going to be able to sin when you pass the pearly gates. It doesn't matter how of an evil or good you were.

The above are some of the reasons I don't believe in the god of Abraham. It simply doesn't make logical sense.

August 2, 2012 at 2:59 am |
  9. Parker

Here's a new amendment. "Freedom of opinion"

but then again, the gay community, atheists, and the lot of "tolerant" people would deem this idea barbaric.

"Yeah well...what if someone has the opinion of...you know...like, not letting other people have their OWN opinion."

and then the question becomes...who is boycotting who?

August 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • sam

You can have an opinion....you're welcome to it. Sadly for you, others will then have alternate opinons. I know that's hard. Oh, those nutty gays and atheists!

August 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • Blame the deserving

It is only a problem when mayors try to prevent businesses they disagree with from operating... Or you start shooting people. Shooting people is bad too.

August 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Antal

Sam, Christians arent the ones banning a business for their views.

August 1, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

No one is banning any businesses. To do so would be illegal and they know Chik-Fil-A has deep enough pockets for a serious lawsuit if they tried. The Chik-Fil-A thing is nothing but grandstanding – on both sides.

August 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • silmaril

"Sam, Christians arent the ones banning a business for their views."

Tell that to Planned Parenthood.

August 1, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
  10. Jewish mom

US Federal prohibit gay marriage........... end of story!

What's next; getting married to a cow?

August 1, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • sam

Someone apparently already did – you're married, right?

August 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • Voice

I'm at Chick-fil-A and I was wondering – is it, like, ok to eat chicken with cheese on it?

August 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@sam

HaH!

August 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
  11. Praise our Lord

Few 100% true Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things:.

† Atheism is a religion that makes you angry, stupid, brainwashed, ignorant & blind.
    † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
    † Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet atheists)
    † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
    † Atheists are misguided and causes problem in our religious & public society.
    † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
    † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
    † Atheism making you agree with Mussolini, Stalin, Hitler (denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders who killed religious people because of their religious cult!
    † No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'
    † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
    † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
    † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
    † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
    † Most atheists are uneducated... No atheists could run for presidency.
    † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
    † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
    † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
    † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
    † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism!
    **Only 2-3% of the U.S. are atheists/agnostics VS. over 90% who believe in God (80% Christians) in the U.S.**

† † Our Prayers goes to atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator † †

PS! the USA is a † nation and will always be. You know it's true and stop being ignorant and arrogant!
    (Take a look at our federal/state holidays, 99% of our presidents, blue laws in parts of the nation, the majority of people, some laws, calendar, culture, etc.)

*****************************************
    Attention: American Christians (being 80% of the population) are stupid and brainwashed for supporting Israel and the Jews when they deny and made the Romans persecute, suffer and kill our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

We give Israel billions of dollars of aid every year from our hardworking tax-payers' money when nearly 50 million Americans live under poverty in this nation, as well as having lots of problems in this nation, such as bad infrastructure, high unemployment rate, billions of dollars in debt, etc.

>-->> WAKE UP AMERICA! WE NEED OUR $MONEY$ IN OUR COUNTRY! <<--

American Jews and Israelis do not even like us, spit and make fun on us, as well as bashing our religion. They just want our money and support!! Google and watch Youtube to see what I'm talking about!

Keep in mind that there are many Palestinians who are Christians....

^^ No, this is nowhere near of being Anti-Semitic or Anti-Atheist – I just tell the truth and opinion! ^^

August 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • ArthurP

Historical note:

Prior to the 1960's a Palestinian, someone from Palestine, was a Jew. The others were mainly Palestinian Arabs.

August 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • Raider

Wow, I just don't even know what to say to that....

August 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • Wowza

allllllrighty then..

August 1, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • Troy

All I can say is...wow. I've never seen so much misinformation in one post in my life.

August 1, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Praise wonk

you're really proud of your mastery of the copy/paste function aren't you?

This is at least the third time I've seen you post this cr@p today in this topic alone.

What do you hope to accomplish with it? Really?

August 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Bill

Wow, you really have some things you need to work through. You should talk to someone...and by someone I mean a trained professional, not to yourself with your eyes closed and your hands clasped. I think if more "Christian" followed the actual tenants of Christ I might like them.

August 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • brickyardjimmy

How come there's no cool symbol on the keyboard for atheists to use as bullet points for their rambling statements too?

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Captain Obvious

People use the internet. Some people are atheists. Therefore, the internet is for atheists. Interesting...

August 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • Freethought

100% true facts? Are they somehow hidden within or behind your post? I can't see them.

August 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • Bo

Someone needs to take away this man's keyboard....

August 2, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  12. ArthurP

Just an aside but what is really ironic, religion wise, is that the Chick-fil-A supporters are eating evolved dinosaurs.

August 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Snowdog

Evolution is a crock of crap. SHow me an proof of evolution today. I see many apes, but I do not see them turning into humans. There is no proof of evolution at all.

August 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • sam

Okay...I seriously laughed. Good one.

August 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • sam

@Snowdog – the big kids are trying to have a conversation. I'm sorry y'all cain't reed reel gud and therefore have not been able to parse the basics of evolution. Take a joke for what it is, or bug off.

August 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • No Truth, Just Claims

You are right Snowdog,

There is no proof for evolution in biology, geology, genetics or any other related science. And all those scientists from all those different countries are just waging a giant conspiracy campaign.

Tinfoil hat?

August 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • Colin

Snowdog- no proof of evolution hey?

First and most obviously is the fossil record. The fossil record is much, much more than just dinosaurs. Indeed, dinosaurs only get the press because of their size, but they make up less than 1% of the entire fossil record. Life had been evolving on Earth for over 3 thousand million years before dinosaurs evolved and has gone on evolving for 65 million years after the Chicxulub meteor wiped them out.

The fossil record includes the Stromatolites, colonies of prokaryotic bacteria, that range in age going back to about 3 billion years, the Ediacara fossils from South Australia, widely regarded as among the earliest multi-celled organisms, the Cambrian species of the Burgess shale in Canada (circa – 450 million years) the giant scorpions of the Silurian Period, the giant, wingless insects of the Devonian period, the insects, amphibians, reptiles; fishes, clams, crustaceans of the Carboniferous Period, the many precursors to the dinosaurs, the dinosaurs themselves, the subsequent dominant mammals, including the saber tooth tiger, the mammoths of North America and Asia, the fossils of early man in Africa and the Neanderthals of Europe.

The fossil record shows a consistent and worldwide evolution of life on Earth dating back to about 3,500,000,000 years ago. There are literally millions of fossils that have been recovered, of thousands of different species and they are all located where they would be in the geological record if life evolved slowly over billions of years. None of them can be explained by a 6,000 year old Earth and Noah’s flood. Were they all on the ark? What happened to them when it docked?

Lions, tigers, bears, and wolves eat a lot of food – meat- which means its food would itself have to have been fed, like the food of every other carnivore on the ark. A bit of “back of the envelope” math quickly shows that “Noah’s Ark” would actually have to have been an armada of ships bigger than the D Day invasion force, manned by thousands and thousands of people – and this is without including the World’s 300,000 current species of plants, none of which could walk merrily in twos onto the Ark.

Secondly, there are those little things we call oil, natural gas and other fossil fuels. Their mere existence is another, independent and fatal blow to the creationists. Speak to any geologist who works for Exxon Mobil, Shell or any of the thousands of mining, oil or natural gas related companies that make a living finding fossil fuels. They will tell you these fossil fuels take millions of years to develop from the remains of large forests (in the case of coal) or tiny marine creatures (in the case of oil). That’s why they are called fossil fuels. Have a close look at coal, you can often see the fossilized leaves in it. The geologists know exactly what rocks to look for fossil fuels in, because they know how to date the rocks to millions of years ago. Creationists have no credible explanation for this (nor for why most of it was “given to the Muslims”).

Thirdly, most of astronomy and cosmology would be wrong if the creationists were right. In short, as Einstein showed, light travels at a set speed. Space is so large that light from distant stars takes many years to reach the Earth. In some cases, this is millions or billions of years. The fact that we can see light from such far away stars means it began its journey billions of years ago. The Universe must be billions of years old. We can currently see galaxies whose light left home 13.7 billion years ago. Indeed, on a clear night, one can see many stars more than 6,000 light years away with the naked eye, shining down like tiny silent witnesses against the nonsense of creationism.

Fourthly, we have not just carbon dating, but also all other methods used by scientists to date wood, rocks, fossils, and other artifacts. These comprehensively disprove the Bible’s claims. They include uranium-lead dating, potassium-argon dating as well as other non-radioactive methods such as pollen dating, dendrochronology and ice core dating. In order for any particular rock, fossil or other artifact to be aged, generally two or more samples are dated independently by two or more laboratories in order to ensure an accurate result. If results were random, as creationists claim, the two independent results would rarely agree. They generally do. They regularly reveal ages much older than Genesis. Indeed, the Earth is about 750,000 times older than the Bible claims.

Fifthly, the relatively new field of DNA mapping not only convicts criminals, it shows in undeniable, full detail how we differ from other life forms on the planet. For example, about 98.4% of human DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees, about 97% of human DNA is identical to that of gorillas, and slightly less again of human DNA is identical to the DNA of monkeys. This gradual divergence in DNA can only be rationally explained by the two species diverging from a common ancestor, and coincides perfectly with the fossil record. Indeed, scientists can use the percentage of DNA that two animal share (such as humans and bears, or domestic dogs and wolves) to get an idea of how long ago the last common ancestor of both species lived. It perfectly corroborates the fossil record and is completely independently developed. It acts as yet another fatal blow to the “talking snake” theory.

Sixthly, the entire field of historical linguistics would have to be rewritten to accommodate the Bible. This discipline studies how languages develop and diverge over time. For example, Spanish and Italian are very similar and have a recent common “ancestor” language, Latin, as most people know. However, Russian is quite different and therefore either did not share a common root, or branched off much earlier in time. No respected linguist anywhere in the World traces languages back to the Tower of Babel, the creationists’ explanation for different languages. Indeed, American Indians, Australian Aboriginals, “true” Indians, Chinese, Mongols, Ja.panese, Sub-Saharan Africans and the Celts and other tribes of ancient Europe were speaking thousands of different languages thousands of years before the date creationist say the Tower of Babel occurred – and even well before the date they claim for the Garden of Eden.

Seventhly, lactose intolerance is also a clear vestige of human evolution. Most mammals only consume milk as infants. After infancy, they no longer produce the enzyme “lactase” that digests the lactose in milk and so become lactose intolerant. Humans are an exception and can drink milk as adults – but not all humans – some humans remain lactose intolerant. So which humans are no longer lactose intolerant? The answer is those who evolved over the past few thousand years raising cows. They evolved slightly to keep producing lactase as adults so as to allow the consumption of milk as adults. This includes most Europeans and some Africans, notably the Tutsi of Rwanda. On the other hand, most Chinese, native Americans and Aboriginal Australians, whose ancestors did not raise cattle, remain lactose intolerant.

I could go on and elaborate on a number of other disciplines or facts that creationists have to pretend into oblivion to retain their faith, including the Ice Ages, cavemen and early hominids, much of microbiology, paleontology and archeology, continental drift and plate tectonics, even large parts of medical research (medical research on monkeys and mice only works because they share a common ancestor with us and therefore our fundamental cell biology and basic body architecture is identical to theirs).

In short, and not surprisingly, the World’s most gifted evolutionary biologists, astronomers, cosmologists, geologists, archeologists, paleontologists, historians, modern medical researchers and linguists (and about 2,000 years of accu.mulated knowledge) are right and a handful of Iron Age Middle Eastern goat herders were wrong.

August 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • ArthurP

I would point you at the research papers, no they are not included in the Bible, but you probably would not be able to understand the big words.

August 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • sam

Colin, Snowdog is not going to understand a bit of that! You need to use smaller words!

August 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • cavediver

@ snowdog check out the fossil record.... as for monkeys evolving.... its still happening, some species will again traits to help them survive gradual changes – see giraffe... stomach acid has adapted to eat the leaves on a tree it couldnt handle before. other species wont.
      the species humans evolved from are all gone.. what evolves from todays monkeies and apes will NOT be human.

August 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • Colin

Hey Sam, you are likely correct, but not due to stupidity. Most Christians, even some ïn the "talking snake" school of galactic and terrestrial formation are smart, but just wilfully blind.

That actually makes them, in a sense, worse, as they have the capacity to learn, but lack the courage to do so.

August 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • Snowdog

Colin, load of crap. Load of crap, load of crap. Evolution is a joke.

August 1, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • No Truth, Just Claims

Let me translate for snowdog,

"I am not listening, I AM NOT LISTENING, la la la LALALALALALAL..."

August 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Colin

Well Snowdog, your articulate and well reasoned response certainly put me in my place. I think it was when you repeated it the third time that you persuaded me.

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Confused face

I wonder if Snowdog gets vaccinated for the flu. If so, he probably uses the version used in the 1950s. You know, because the flu virus does not evolve or mutate. It is the same it has been for millions of years.

August 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • Bill

@Colin

Ummm, Colin...You Rock! Thank you.

August 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • ScottCA

Actually Snowdog we can watch evolution occuring in simple organisms today, some reproduce so quikcly we can watch it happen over a few generatio. Examples are of some simple fruitflies that can alter their biology to environmental pressures, including the growth of extra wings.

London Moths are famous for adapting to the historical buring of coal in london that pressured them to evolve into a gray colour for camouflage. When wood buring and coal buring in london ceased. The moths evolved back to a white colour due to the change in environmental pressures.

There are countless examples of evolution occuring today that we can witness. We can even see trends of change amoungst humanbeings, such as a recent study showing that we are evolving thiner longer heads.

August 1, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • silmaril

Snowdog:"Colin, load of crap. Load of crap, load of crap. Evolution is a joke."

Wow, I bow before your elegant, point-by-point refutation of Colin's post.

August 1, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
  13. Snowdog

This is getting utterly ridiculous. Of course the Atheists are going to come out in droves when a tragedy happens stating, see there is no God. If there was a God this would not have happend. What a load of crap. People there is good and evil in this world. God gives us free will to choose to do good or do evil . Some people choose evil. That is just the way it is. God does no treat us as puppets. He gives us choice. period and end of story. deatrh is a part of life. Satan is the ruler of evil. How come people do not blame the devil for evil. Oh, that's righ. There is no devil either. The media reports death and evil. DO you ever see them report good things. I see God's love and miracles evryday. What about when a baby is born, someone is cured of cancer, the sunrise, the sunset.

August 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Standing on my head, trying any way I can to rationalise god's absense

Hun, when you get to third grade, you will learn to think in grown up terms. Now run outside and play.

August 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • Rabid Goon

Your god is a vast, powerful, complex being of some kind, and yet you somehow know exactly how he operates because you read it in a 2-3000 year old book. You may call it 'faith'. I call it 'naive'.

August 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • Standing on my head, trying any way I can to rationalise god's absense

Just wait 'till that baby dies of cancer, and we'll see what you have to say.

August 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • Snowdog

Well we will see in the end who is right and who is wrong. I would rather be on God's side than against him. Someone is right and someone is wrong. We will see.

August 1, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • sam

You have to forgive Snowdog, you guys. Cain't reed reel gud, don't unnerstand basic sheeit.

There there, Snowdog. No need to be aggravated. Just run along.

August 1, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • sam

Ooooh, we'll see! God will get all you atheists!! LOL

August 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • dude

Still find it amusing that when something good...miraculous....happens it was gods will. But when something terrible happens it was free will? Kinda convenient don't you think?

August 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • No Truth, Just Claims

"How come people do not blame the devil for evil."

Because according to your own dogma the devil can only act if god allows him to, therefore the devil is just gods tool and not to blame.

August 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • Snowdog

Babies die evreyday. Adults die everyday. Death is a part of life. We will all die someday. Because we die God does not love us? Give me a break.

August 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • No Truth, Just Claims

Snowdog,

You think scientists are lying about evolution and magic is real....I don't expect you to understand.

August 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Snowdog,

OK, I'll bite, so Holmes exercised his free will in Aurora. The victims were in the wrong place at the wrong time and God didn't care.

What about cancer in innocent children? What about tornados, flood and other diseases killing the innocent and the guilty alike. Where is your loving God then? There is no exercise of free will in childhood cancer?

A loving God would protect its followers. Your God doesn't.
      Why would you want a willfully malignant God?
      If God doesn't intervene, what's the point of praying?
      If God only answers some prayers, how does he choose which ones to answer? Does he have a cosmic lotto machine?

It's all nonsense.

August 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

If God loves us, why do we need to be tested to live with him? Why force us to walk though the 'vale of tears' in the first place?

God: "I love you unconditionally, but if you turn away from me, I will punish you for eternity?"

Can you not see the paradox here? Apparently the 'love of God' has some big conditions attached.

August 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • Standing on my head, trying any way I can to rationalise god's absense

Actually you won't see anything. When you die, your brain stops working. That's it. You will never know how stupid you were.

August 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  14. myslant

test

August 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
  15. JD

Oh, and the reason atheists are starting to be more vocal is because we're sick and tired of religion being treated as the "default setting" for the human existence. The only reason religion persists is because brainwashed parents keep brainwashing their children. Religion would vanish almost instantly if a single generation refused to participate.

August 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • cestlavie3

Wasn't that attempted in the former Soviet Union? How'd that work out for them?

August 1, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@cestlavie3

... so, just how religious are Russians today?

August 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  16. Your Religion Might Be Bullshіt If...

August 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
  17. Colin

Ten Ways You Know you are an Atheist.

1. You were likely brought up a theist (probably a Jew or Christian if you live in the USA) and had to do your own thinking to rise above the beliefs that still occupy the mind of the believer. This usually involved being smart and working hard at school and college so as to get a good, accurate view of the natural Universe and overcoming significant social pressure to dumb yourself down and conform. In short, you had the guts to ask the hard questions and the brains to spot the weak answers. The more you came to understand the Universe, the less reason there was to believe in a god and the more you came to understand human nature, the more you understood why billions of us still do.

2. While rejecting the supernatural elements of the Bible, you nevertheless retain a large amount of the morality taught today by mainstream Christianity. To the extent you reject Christian morality, it is where it is mean spirited – such as in the way it seeks to curtail freedoms or oppose the rights of $exual minorities. In most other respects, your basic moral outlook is indistinguishable from that of the liberal Christian – you just don’t need the mother of all carrots and sticks hanging over your head in order to act in a manner that you consider moral.

3. You know a great deal more about the Bible than most believers. This is because you took the time to read it yourself and did not rely on the primary-color simple stories you learned in Sunday school. You have also probably done some research into the historical Jesus and have a good handle on where he REALLY fit in to the broader picture of the Middle East at the time. Needless to say, his miracles and other magic powers soon started to look pretty unlikely.

4. Your knowledge of basic science and history is much stronger than that of your average believer. You likely have a basic working knowledge of physics, astronomy, evolutionary biology and cosmology and a good idea of the history of life on this planet. This acc.umulated knowledge puts you in a position to judge the claims of the Bible in a critical light and they are almost always found wanting. To the theist, this makes you “elitist” and ‘arrogant”.

5. You relish your role as a religious minority in the USA, as this gives you an impetus to fight and you understand how others with unpopular, but doubtlessly correct views have felt throughout history. There is something altogether satisfying to you about having a deep conviction you are right and being viewed with disdain for your views by the errant majority. You feel a quiet confidence that future generations will look back on you as a member of a class of trailblazers, as religious supersti.tions go into inevitable decline in popularity.

6. You are likely more environmentally aware than your theist friends and colleagues and unlikely to fall for claims of industry and wind-bag politicians concerning the impact of man’s activities on the environment. You could no more act in an environmentally irresponsible manner because “god will keep us safe” than you could jump off a ship, believing King Neptune will keep you safe.

7. You generally have a live and let live atti.tude, but will fiercely defend any attempts by theists to thrust their views on you or your children, directly or through control of school boards, the legislature or the executive. While you are prepared to debate and argue passionately with the theist on an intellectual level, you would never wish them harm or ill will. You know you are likely to be smugly told you will “burn in hell for all eternity” for your healthy skepticism. This highlights what you despise about religion, as you would not wish a bad sunburn on another, simply because they have a different religious view to you. You have never heard of an evolutionary biologist strapping a bomb to himself and running into a church yelling “Darwin-u akbar, Darwin-u akbar”.

8. You likely know more about other religions than your average theist. This makes you less fearful of them and enables you to see parallels. You realize that, if you were born in India, you would have been brought up with a totally different religion. You realize that every culture that has ever existed has had its own god(s) and they always favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams and prejudices. They cannot all exist and you see the error all faiths make of thinking only theirs exist(s). This “rising above” the regional nature of all religions was probably instrumental in your achieving atheism.

9. You likely have a deep, genuine appreciation of the fathomless beauty and unbelievable complexity of our Universe, from the 4 nucleotides that orchestrate every aspect of you, through to the distant quasars, without having to think it was all made for you. You likely get more out of being the irrelevant ant staring up at the cosmos than you do in having to pretend that it was all made to turn in majestic black-and-white pirouette about you.

10. While you have a survival instinct, you cannot fear death in the way the theist does. You know that the whole final judgment story, where you may be sent to hell if you fail, is Dark Ages nonsense meant to keep the Church’s authority. You also know that you were dead for 13,720,000,000 years before you were born. It is impossible for you to fear death, for the simple reason that you know the capacity to fell pain, or to regret or fear itself dies. You will not even know you are dead. Fear of death is as meaningless to you as is the fear of a vacuum, the fear of not being born. You feel a lot more secure, and indeed a deep comfort, in this knowledge, than you would in trying to yoke yourself to some quasi-hope from Bronze Age Palestine that every part of your intellect tells you is untenable.

August 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • cestlavie3

11. You find yourself overly impressed with the level of sophistication of your unbelief.

August 1, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Standing on my head, trying any way I can to rationalise god's absense

12. You might make irrelevant comments, instead of even trying to refute any of Colin's points.

August 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • ScottCA

Well said Colin.
      Atheism is definitely the moral highroad.
      Atheism places infinitely more value in each human life, directly because we are willing to admit that this life is all we have evidence of and when we die that is likely the end of everything for us.
      Faith based religions devalue our lives with lies about an afterlife.

August 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • Colin

Scott, I agree. Given that my life and the lives of those I love are nothing more than a brief blip in an otherwise eternal death, I tend to value my time quite highly.

Who was it who once said, "I have been dead for the last 15 billion years, give or take about 50, and it has not been in the least bit uncomfortable".

August 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • Douglas

Well said, Colin. Well said.

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
  18. ganamede

One day in the future it will happen the day that humanity finally cuts the cancer of religion out rest assured this will happen look around you its happening now children growing up in the information age have access to information that they could not get before.

I understand this scares religious people but do not worry it will be ok my little girl went through the same thing when i explained to her that there was no santa clause or fairys or dragons but she is fine and better for it she can go forth in life armed with logic and intelligence instead of tribal mumbo jumbo.

August 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • Snowdog

The Bible states that in the end times there will be more and more unbelief. That is why so many will end up in hell and only a few in Glory with God. The Bible is right on as always. You are playing right into God's word.

August 1, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • ScottCA

Snowing your playing right into the hands of the religous lies meant to scare you. Have you forgotten it was people who wrote those words not some god?

There is no evidence that god exists.
      There is no need to envoke god to explain anything.
      Envoking god answers nothing and only pushes the same questions up on more level and confuses matters further.
      The simple question of how was the universe created bcomes: How was god created? How did god create the universse? How does god make immaterial forcesw interact with the material world? How does god control a universe that appears to function under and obey completely the laws of physics.?
      Occam's Razor says the simplest answer is most likely the correct answer. In this case the simplest answer is that there is no God.

August 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • Snowdog

Scottca, how can you say there is no evidence of God. Look around you. Where does love come from. I am not scared of God. I love God.

August 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • ScottCA

Snowing pick up a book about genetics and evolution and you will soon understand where love comes from.
      Love is an evolved emotion that on average benefits our offsprings chances of survival, thus leading to those genes enabling love being better genetic replicators.
      Simply because you don't know the rational answer for where love came from, doesn't mean you need to envoke god to explain it. It just means you need to study more.
      Envoking god to explain love, answers nothing it just pushes the question up one level and complicates it more. How was god created? how did god create love, when love can evolve perfectly fine from the laws of physics and bioloigcal evolution? How do immaterial souls interact with the material world?
      Occam's razor states that the simplest answer is most likely the correct one. In this case the simplest answer is that there is no god.

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
  19. ScottCA

This article shows how indoctrinated the religous are, that they cannot imagine someone forming an opinion without the requirement of a church or congregation to give false validation to it.

Churches are places where people are indocrinated childhood into a system of ancient delusional lies based around what people would like to believe is true, instead of the truth.

Athests do not require churches or places to congregate because we are not forming beliefs based on other peoples lies, but on rational judgement and logic.

There is no evidence of god, and there is no need to evoke god to explain anything. Evoking god only pushes the question up a level and complicates matters further. You expand the simple question of how the universe was created into a more complex seriies of questions: how was God created? how did god create the Universe, how does god make immaterial souls interact with a mertial world?

Occam's Razor states that the simplest answer is most likely the correct one. In this case the simplest answer is that there is no God.

August 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
  20. gaucho420

Count this athiest as one who's been loud & proud for the better part of two decades, well before GW brought out my fellow brother & sisters out of the closet, per say. Of course, I'm grew up in France, so arguing about religion is nothing new to me!

August 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm |