home
RSS
'Where was God in Aurora?' comments show Internet as church for atheists
Some atheists may ask questions on the Internet that they wouldn't have asked in church.
August 1st, 2012

'Where was God in Aurora?' comments show Internet as church for atheists

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - The Internet has become the de facto global church for atheists, agnostics and other doubters of God, who of course don’t have bricks-and-mortar churches in which to congregate.

We see this phenomenon in motion every day on the CNN Belief Blog, where atheists/agnostics/humanists are among the most zealous commenters.

Recent string of posts around the question of “Where was God in Aurora?” (such as this and this) drew especially large waves of comments that show atheists are using the Internet to commune with one another and to confront religious believers in ways that they don’t usually do in church.

Atheists and other secularists have offline organizations that stage in-person meetings - the Secular Student Alliance has seen its number of campus chapters quadruple in the last five years, to 368 - but the Internet has probably played a bigger role in the rise of the so-called New Atheism. The movement’s adherents evangelize their godlessness, just as many religious folks evangelize their God, often taking to the Belief Blog to do so.

“A lot of millennials who are coming of age have found that the Internet is a fantastic place to talk about their doubt,” says Jesse Galef, communications director for the Secular Student Alliance. “Before the Internet, there was no place for young people to do that. The only place to go was really church, and that wasn’t always a welcoming place.

“But they can go online and discuss these ideas without being judged by friends and families,” Galef says.

For closeted atheists, the Internet’s anonymity is a big draw. A coalition of national atheist groups recently launched a program to transition doubting clergy to lives of open atheism by first having ministers come out anonymously in a closed online community.

Plenty of other atheists, though, are using the Internet to connect with real, named people through Facebook and other online social networks.

“It’s the ability to access a larger community, particularly for people growing up in religiously conservative areas,” Galef says. “There is nobody they can point to to discuss their atheism or their doubts about the Bible or their morality, and the Internet provides that.”

On Sunday, a guest piece from a Colorado pastor argued that it’s possible to reconcile the idea of a sovereign God with the existence of evil and tragedy. The post has drawn 4,239 comments as of Wednesday morning, largely from atheists.

One of those comments - a letter from God penned by an atheist commenter named Colin - caught fire online. Here’s how his letter opens:

"Dear Christians:

"God here. I thought I would take the time to personally explain my absence in the Aurora shootings. While I was at it, I thought I would also explain my absence during every murder, massacre and crime that has ever taken place in world history, and in every war, in every famine, drought and flood.

"You see, I do not exist. I never have. Did it really make sense to you that I would create an entire universe with billions of billions of planets and wait about 13,700,000,000 years just so I could focus on a few Jews from Palestine about 2,000 years ago while ignoring the rest of the 200,000,000 people on the planet at the time? Did I make those few Jews or did those few Jews make me?"

The letter has been posted on reddit, where it attracted another 1,000-plus comments. (Warning: The reddit comments includes foul language.)

The vast majority of comments come from sympathetic atheists and other secularists (the discussion is reddit's atheism thread), a striking example of such folks doing church without God online. Many of those comments are deeply personal, confessional and poignant.

Here are five of the best ones. Some respond to Colin’s letter from God, others to the Colorado pastor who wrote for the Belief Blog last weekend.

1. CarbonEmitter

"I grew up religious and decided to be agnostic (as an) undergraduate. Even though I am now in my late 20s, I still feel slightly guilty because my parents try to ram religion down my throat. My mom converted to my dad's religion (from Christianity to Islam) right before having a double lung transplant in 1995. They are now super-religious and attribute her miraculous recovery to her conversion.

"Reading posts like these remind me of how ridiculous religion is and help relieve my guilt. Thank you /r/athiesm."

2. tazadar

"I like what Carl Sagan said about reassuring fables.

" 'The significance of our lives and our fragile planet is then determined only by our own wisdom and courage. We are the custodians of life's meaning. We long for a parent to care for us, to forgive us our errors, to save us from our childish mistakes. But knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable.' "

3. RyGuy2012

"You know, it really irks me to no end to read the article from the pastor, as he claims to not have an answer for why God didn't prevent the Aurora shooting, but then claims to know for sure that God is there when people come to lend their support and sympathies for the shooting victims.

"I just can't wrap my mind around this logic. Like, the pastor must find some other explanation why people are good and do good things. It can't be that people can just be good on their own. Because, apparently (our) natural normal state is to be completely uncaring and disregarding? It's just such a very sad and low opinion to have of your fellow man.

4. funfetti_cookies

"Of course, he says that. You have to scare the people before giving them a reason to listen - "I held her hand as she died." What a great way to start your article. Also don't forget to mention Columbine so people remember that tragedy as well, but then go on to explain why God still exists and this is all part of his plan. Religion is nothing more but a scare tactic to control the masses.

5. ConstipatedNinja

"I don't share this much, but I was raped twice by my pastor when I was 6. And by I don't share this much, I mean that even my own parents don't know (as a side note, he's long since dead, so there's no sense in bringing it up). I had to sit in the same room (with) him for three hours every Sunday while he told everyone - including me - how a decent human being should act. I had to for four entire years before my family moved to a different state.

"When it first happened, I had no idea what was done. I was too young to understand. ... It's indescribable. You're told all this time about this ever-loving being that made you and has planned out your entire life. You're told that he'll protect you when you need it. You're told that if you're good, then he'll be good to you. So obviously, I wasn't good. I wasn't good enough. I was created and the creator of all things looked down upon me and decided that I was a bad egg. Do you know how rough that is for a 7-year-old? I still have problems with self-esteem. …"

That comment, which has been truncated above, provoked an outpouring of sympathy and support on reddit, including this comment:

rumpelstiltskin1

"This stuff is why I love Reddit. Yeah we are a room full of strangers but when it comes down to it we're a community. I love reading the stories of others and reading the heartfelt replies. I love that anyone can express themselves honestly and it will be well-received here (usually). And although this one is a little cheeky, I love that I can learn valuable life lessons of self-acceptance and being able to move on from a guy named ConstipatedNinja. Thank you for sharing your story, and I admire the willingness to share such a personal story; it's truly inspirational."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Colorado • Violence

soundoff (4,699 Responses)
  1. bloby

ALL RELIGIONS ARE TOTALLY MADE UP BULL SH **T

August 1, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  2. luxom3

FWIW – I'll say I am a Christian and hold to that faith (flame suit on).

Here's my 2-cents or perspective...

FREEDOM has its consequences.
    You can throw it in a river,changing the flow of water or at a person, causing them harm. God does not intervene.
    Why? He leaves you FREE to decide. And observe the consequence of your decisions.

CHOICE.
    From a Biblical perspective (let's just assume you believe this part OK?) – in the pre-Adam and Eve world... there was no pain, suffering, disease, hate, sickness, etc. It was the perfect, God controlled world. But mankind had a choice... and he chose to disobey God and ultimately to be responsible for his own decisions.

My honest answer is that I don't know why God would allow such horror to occur. Why the Hitlers of the world are allowed to roam free... but then again... it IS a great responsibility to have choice. And should God intervene in ALL our choices, we'd ALL cry foul.

So my atheist friends... what should God do? Stop the killers? Agreed! Stop the Molesters! Agreed!
    And then what? Strike them all dead? Agreed! But some of you, not so much...

Tough job being job. Give mankind what he wants, and he still complains... 🙂

August 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • luxom3

Forgive my typos. 🙂

August 1, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • LinCA

@luxom3

You said, "So my atheist friends... what should God do?"
      Don't you think that is somewhat of a lame question to ask of those that don't believe in gods? How many adults do you ask what the Tooth Fairy should do? Or Santa Claus?

Oh, and don't worry too much about typos. Shit happens.

August 1, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  3. SRuler

The Greatest thing for All Man to Remember even Atheists. Where Sin Abounds Grace Abounds that much More. That is the reason for Jesus. For God So Loves Each and Everyone of Us.

August 1, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • lamb of dog

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

August 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • silmaril

No god(s) = no sin. In other words, to an atheist what you said has no meaning because it's based on your assumptions which you're unable to back up with any evidence.

August 1, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  4. LB Colorado

Can't imagine why this world is sooooooooooo off the mark. Good luck. I happen to believe that God does exist and we will all be held accountable. Bad things do happen to good people and good things happen to bad people, life is tough, no one EVER SAID it would be easy. F.Y.I., the bible did say YOU WILL HAVE TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS, it did not you might it pretty much was a guarantee. As for pastors and sorts, they are men and they are as evil as you and I are – no one, absolutely no on is perfect except the Lamb of God. For all of the non believers God still actually loves you.

August 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • Henryo

Where is God when it's a beautiful day, your family is safe, there is food on the table, your car starts and drives well that day, you have a nice dinner and have a restful night's sleep. Where is God then?

August 1, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • lamb of dog

Im perfect

August 1, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • rob

To LBColorado, I agree with you. People always questions the existence of God when something bad happens, but the only alternative they come up with is that God doesn't exist. But you are correct, He never promised smooth sailing and 24/7 smiles and balloons. He isn't about that. He's about us reconnecting to Him. And we do that through our trials and tribulations, not that He causes them, but we learn and grow from these experiences. God was present in Colorado; just as He was present in all situations; good and bad; throughout history. He is there with us through it all, but too many people refuse to see him, and the modern world is in a sad state when Atheism is the new religion; preaching their message of hate and intolerance toward those of us who do actually believe...

August 1, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • silmaril

Allow me to give you a clue... Just because it's written in your big book of fairy tales, it doesn't make it true.

August 1, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
  5. Asher

This whole arguement is silly. The "atheist" are trying to make fun and say God wasn't there because he doesn't exist and the "christian" is trying to say that God does exist but they don't seem to have an answer...The question that needs to be answered is "Why do bad things happen to good people?" Right? That's what we are asking is the aftermath of Auroa?
    The Bible says there is none good, no, not one! I'm sorry if that offends you but we are all sinners that need God's saving grace. You, your mom, your dad, youe grandpa, your grandma, the shooter, the victim, the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker....none are good. Period. So bad things don't happen to good people. Case closed!!!

August 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • silmaril

The Bible says there is none good, no, not one!

And who made us that way? Mmmm... according to you, the would be god right?

1) So your god made people who aren't good and will punish them for being that way.
      2) God is all-knowing and all-powerful
      3) Therefore god knows when he made you if you were going to be "saved" during your life and go to heaven or continue to not be "good" and thus go to hell to be punished for eternity
      4) So, it's not my fault. It was all determined before I came into existence and cannot be changed.
      5) So, god purposefully makes people who he knows he will torture for eternity

You don't think that's evil and screwed up?

August 1, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  6. What

SUCK THE F OFF, I AM GOD, AND I AM HERE, IS THERE ANY ONE NEED HELP, ASK ME ANY QUESTION, I WILL ANSWER YOU...................................................................................You're better come up with a smart question

August 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • Evan

Oh wow, God! Oh man, can't believe I get to talk to you and all. My question, uh... Where were you during the Aurora shooting?

August 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
  7. WorkInProgress

Some of the comments are sickening. I truly feel for those who have nothing better to do with their lives then to get behind a computer and spew their hate.

August 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • What

review religion lies

August 1, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • tony

That's the religious for you. Bachmann, Santorum, and Romney on "culture".

August 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • Skwisgaar Skwigelf

Works in Progresses, you ares such a p.u.s.sy. Only a tools would makes stupid statements likes that!

August 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • Tom

I couldn't agree with you more. The first paragraph of this article says it all: "The Internet has become the de facto global church for atheists, agnostics and other doubters of God, who of course don’t have bricks-and-mortar churches in which to congregate"...(weep, weep, weep the athiests have no home) and..."atheists are using the Internet to commune with one another and to confront religious believers in ways that they don’t usually do in church." Yes, because they don't have the b@lls to confront a true believer, hiding behind the anonymity the Internet provides them, all the while spewing cruel and venomous hate at those who believe and deriding them as "idiots," "fooling themselves," and a lot worse. And, of course, CNN slants this "report" in a way to angle those who "confront religious believers" as virtual (no pun intended) "heroes," fighting against the oppression of those who believe. What a load of crud.

August 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • nemo0037

Hate, you say? Reading comments like this always makes me wonder about how closely people identify themselves with their religion. I can easily see how I could disagree with a proposition, or fail to believe a story from a book and not come CLOSE to hating anyone... not even the writer of the story or the folks who believe they story is literally true. I would hope that you understood this as well. I have no hate for any person on account of their religious beliefs. Now, being angry at someone because of their ACTIONS... that would be a completely different story.

August 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • sam

@Tom – confront a 'true believer'? LOL That is a good one. Yeah...not worth confronting even if you can find one. Not interested in listening to folks like you rail about things you barely understand. Most 'true believers' skim the surface of their religion, take away what they like, and leave the rest to whatever they're told. Good for you, keep that truth alive!

August 1, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • just sayin

Tom, you sound like a silly little man who has some unhappiness.

August 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • WorkInProgress

Skwisgaar Skwigelf – and thank you for proving my point! I wonder though, is it the computer that makes you so arrogant, because I highly doubt you speak that way in person.

August 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • dman

You had a 2000 year head start on your oppressive and sickening belief system. Give us a chance to catch up will you?

August 1, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
  8. Believer

My take on all of this: God gave you a brain in order to think and make your own decisions. If you choose to use it to not believe, that is your CHOICE. Just as a person who kills makes that CHOICE. Unfortunately everyone wants to blame what they can't see or hold in their hand. That is also your CHOICE. I would rather believe in a "magical whatever" and there be no heaven or hell than to not believe and suffer the fires of hell because I made the CHOICE to not believe. To each their own – God game us all brains to make our own CHOICES!

August 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • *facepalm*

"I would rather believe in a "magical whatever" and there be no heaven or hell than to not believe and suffer the fires of hell because I made the CHOICE to not believe. "

When will people that evoking Pascal's Wager just makes you look incompetent?

August 1, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • indogwetrust

Our silly brains gave us god.

August 1, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • What

There is no god, that's not thing giving by god. Got it

August 1, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • Djinn Rummy

Believer,

You just might end up in Muslim hell, then...

August 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • Jimbo

You don't understand, it is not a 'choice' to believe or not to believe. You just can't shut your brain off and say "I believe" and then all the sudden you believe in a god. People are athiest and agnostics for a reason, and it's from the experiences and thoughts they have had throughout life, connecting the information that is available. You are obviously a believer becuase of experiences and thoughts you have had. It is irritating that some religious people don't understand this, you can't just believe, it isn't that simple. Do you want people to just pretend to believe to appease you? Would your god have mercy on the souls of people who didn't really believe but lied about it? Sorry for critically thinking, we can't help it.

August 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  9. Daniel

I believe that life is just God's virtual reality. It's one big dream and while it may appear real to us, when you finally wake up and realize that it was just one big dream, you'll then realize why the Creator never intervened in major catastrophes. It never really mattered because it was never real. It's like a movie. What happens in dreams is just for learning. It's not the true reality. The buddhist monks realized this through enlightenment or maybe I've been watching too many sci-fi movies....*lol*

August 1, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • ceyanna

Put down the pipe.

August 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
  10. nemo0037

Interesting set of exchanges regarding theodicy... Over the many years that I have studied religion and the psychology of religion, I have come to realize that it's a rare event that leads most anyone to change his/her views on religion. Certainly the discussions about the "problem of evil" has been going on for thousands of years (the first writing that I know of coming from the ancient Greeks), and will continue indefinitely. I think that all this bickering is pointless, and grounded in the false assumption that nearly everyone has, that the world would be far better off if only everyone agreed on "the one true religion." The myriad of societies that tried to put that belief into practice and abjectly failed to achieve any better results than any other should be lesson enough. Sadly, I don't expect it to be so.

Oh well...

August 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • ChristardMingle.com

There is no scientific evidence indicating that God exists. We all know that. For example:

• God has never left any physical evidence of his existence on earth.

• None of Jesus' "miracles" left any physical evidence either.

• God has never spoken to modern man, for example by taking over all the television stations and broadcasting a rational message to everyone.

• The resurrected Jesus has never appeared to anyone.

• The Bible we have is provably incorrect and is obviously the work of primitive men rather than God.

• When we analyze prayer with statistics, we find no evidence that God is "answering prayers."

• Huge, amazing atrocities like the Holocaust and AIDS occur without any response from God.

• And so on…

There is no empirical evidence showing that God exists.
      If you think about it as a rational person, this lack of evidence is startling. There is not one bit of empirical evidence indicating that today's "God", nor any other contemporary god, nor any god of the past, exists. In addition we know that:

1. If we had scientific proof of God's existence, we would talk about the "science of God" rather than "faith in God".

2. If we had scientific proof of God's existence, the study of God would be a scientific endeavor rather than a theological one.

3. If we had scientific proof of God's existence, all religious people would be aligning on the God that had been scientifically proven to exist. Instead there are thousands of gods and religions.
      The reason for this lack of evidence is easy for any unbiased observer to see. The reason why there is no empirical evidence for God is because God is imaginary.

August 1, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • nemo0037

@ChristardMingle.com - say what? Are you trying to convince me that gods don't exist? That's rather interesting, considering I haven't believed in any such critters in the past 15 years. I think the thread here would have been better served had you replied to what I wrote, instead of just looking for some comment to attach your thoughts to at (apparently) random.

August 1, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  11. TDJ

“Where was God in Aurora?" The answer is not at all complicated: he was there, bleeding on the floor.

~Theo

August 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • What

LOL .....................................

August 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • Lucy

That really sucks for him...where was he during my last period? Same place?

August 1, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • LOVE

It's amazing how everyone wants someone to blame, no matter how horrific. And if there isn't a scientific answer those who have no religion they want to blame the only (in reference) "thing" they can not grasp, because then in the finite minds of humans they are more capable of coping. I am God fearing. I know that I am in control of my actions and will have to answer for them, but that doesn't mean that I can explain all other peoples' decisions. What I can explain is that without good there is no evil and without suffering there can be no compassion. To relate... law of gravity means nothing goes up that doesn't come down. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Lastly, be responsible for yourself and not so arrogant to believe that you actually have any say but can only do what was already planned forever ago. I wish the very best for each and everyone of you because I am also an American and live in a country that allows me to say what I want and to believe what I want. Take care

August 1, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  12. The Truth

I was in the same place where I was when you refused to ackowledge Me as God.
    I was in the same place where I was when I said " "Come unto Me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest".Matthew 11:28
    I was in the same place where I was when I said, "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me".Deuteronomy 5:7
    I was in the same place where I was when I said,"The thief cometh not but to steal and to kill and to destroy. I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly".John 10:10
    I was in the same place where I was when I said, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear My voice and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me".Revelation 3:20

August 1, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • Mass Debater

The same place = only in your mind.

August 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • ChristardMingle.com

The vestiges of pagan religion in Christian symbolism are undeniable. Egyptian sun disks became the halos of Catholic saints. Pictograms of Isis nursing her miraculously conceived son Horus became the blueprint for our modern images of the Virgin Mary nursing Baby Jesus. And virtually all the elements of the Catholic ritual – the miter, the altar, the doxology, and communion, the act of "God-eating" – were taken directly from earlier pagan mystery religions.

Nothing in Christianity is original. The pre-Christian God Mithras – was called the Son of God and the Light of the World, died, was buried in a rock tomb, and then resurrected in three days. The newborn Krishna was presented with gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Even Christianity's weekly holy day was stolen from the pagans.

August 1, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • Greyhound37

I was in the same place when I said "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" (Gospel of Matthew 10:34)
      Oh, wait a minute, dangit.. I meant something else, I think.

August 1, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  13. Evan Gelicale

"Where was God in Aurora?" is like a child's question, not one an adult would pose about religion. Childish not childlike. Pity poor God having to endure such infantile beliefs and sycophantic worship.

August 1, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • indogwetrust

It seems child like because children are not brainwashed. It takes time to indoctrinate those silly beliefs.

August 1, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • tony

Well then. Answer it so everyone can understand.

August 1, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • silmaril

Luke 18:17 "Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."

In other words, your own bible contradicts you.

August 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  14. dowdotica

time for God and evolution to go hand in hand! what do you say? do i hear a hell yeah!!!

August 1, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • indogwetrust

Hell ye.... um wait a second. Sorry no can do.

August 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • Twin Nation

Actually it does in the Catholic Faith. The Catholic Church has many issues to work through but the Catholic Religion does not believe that everything in the bible is meant to be taken literally any more than a parking ticket and poetry are meant to be read in the same way even though they are both writing. They should know since Catholics put together the bible. A belief in God and a belief in evolution and a 13.7 billion year old universe does not violate Catholic beliefs.

August 1, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • silmaril

Show me where evolution requires a god to make it work.

August 2, 2012 at 1:46 am |
  15. ToThePoint

The key word in this article is in the third paragraph: confront. Why do atheists feel they must confront anything or anybody? The beauty of America is Believers have the right to believe and Unbelievers have the right to not believe. Both Believers and Unbelievers have the right to congregate or not.

Why do atheists feel compelled to "confront" anybody about their belief in God or not? "Confrontation" implies negativism, absolute need to choose sides, no common ground, and fighting; whereas "discussion" implies respectful exchange of ideas, the potential for common ground, and maybe agreeing to disagree without fighting.

The point is this: why do atheists feel the need to “confront” believers? Empty barrels make the most noise. You can’t beg, borrow, or steal oil from another’s lamp; each individual must fill his or her own vessel. And there is only one source for that oil. If you don’t have it; you feel empty inside.

August 1, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • indogwetrust

You have chosen to read these comments. That's not confrontation. Also it is not possible to find middle ground with so much hate. Let gay people marry that's it no compromise. Sorry

August 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • silmaril

Why do JW's and mormons feel the need to confront me at my door with their religion?

Why is simply asking for proof of your claims confrontation?

August 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  16. Ransom

Atheists whine a lot but claim to hate the religious for that.Ha! They are caught in a trap!

No logic at all!

August 1, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
    • t3chn0ph0b3

So... You're religious and claim to hold a monopoly on rationality? You're one messed up dude.

August 1, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • The Real Tom Paine

Perhaps, but is that an excuse for your arrogance?

August 1, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Bekkie

I am an Atheist and I have no problem with what other people want to believe. So please don't generalize an entire group of people.

August 1, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • sam

@Bekkie – Ransom is the newest screen name for our resident unhappy shit-stirring troll. Pay it no mind.

August 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  17. ktina

@Sam...this aint a damn spelling test!

August 1, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • sam

Ah, so it was a typo. 1)Don't be so defensive, it was a joke 2)There's a link under each post to reply so that your comment doesn't end up somewhere random on the board, like this one just did.

I'm sorry you don't have the capacity to see the play on words, there. Could have been cool.

August 1, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • ....

You apparently pretty damn dumb anyway, tho

August 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  18. LOL "GOD"

wow, what a pile of BS. haha, I'm an atheist and I have never ran around telling people why do you believe in god? do you also believe in the tooth fairy? Yet once every month there are two assh*les who come to my door preaching about a "god" ?and atheists are the problem? The person who wrote this article is blind as a bat and needs to get fired. Waste of five minutes. Too funny.

August 1, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • The Real Tom Paine

Of course we are the problem. We are a reminder that they lack the strength and courage to admit they are intellectual cripples who are incapable of grappling with the world on something approaching a realistic basis.

August 1, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  19. Athiest

Religion is the single largest hoax perpetrated on mankind. You're brainwashed to believe the unbelievable, even though the evidence, reason, and logic is smack dab in your face.

As long as people continue to blame acts on invisible non existent fairy tales they will never take responsibility for their action – or INACTION – to make a better world.

You're a slave to a lie because it makes you feel good when you're alone at night. Let logic, reason, and responsibility be your nightlight. It's time to grow up, world.

August 1, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • Ransom

Prove there is no God without stating it as an opinion.You can't so join in humanity.You aren't above the human condition.

Take your own advice.

August 1, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • Athiest

I'm not above the human condition. I'm just above you.

You see, when I perform an act of kindness such as holding a door open for an elderly lady or helping her with her bags, donating to charity, etc, I do so of my own will and responsibility. I don't do it out of some childish fear of going to a lake of fire.

Therefore my morality > yours

Athiests > Fairy tales.

Period.

August 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • PrimeNumber

"even though the evidence, reason, and logic is smack dab in your face." Being human, you think one thing in the morning and unthink it in the afternoon. You want something; when you get it, it doesn't satisfy. Your logic tells you one thing, your emotions something else. Like everyone, you can't break long-standing habits. In short, you can't figure yourself out using your own "logic" and "reason". THis casts doubt on your ability to interpret evidence. Your tools for arguing against God are inadequate.

August 1, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Ransom

I don't fear hell.In fact,those who believe that Christ died for them,its impossible to fear "hell".

I do acts of kindness from my own heart.Not for some reward or because people tell me to.

August 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • cavediver

Ransom – lets have you answer for yourself : When was the last time a God walked on this planet? Need verifiable proof now....dont have any? ....

on the otherside : theory of evolution -proof: the fossil record ...counters the creation myth
      Theory of the big bang proof: verified by various telescopes but especially the Hubble – reaffirmed in greater detail by its successor – the James Webb Telescope -counters the creation myth
      Medicine: people are currently in prison for relying on faith healing to cure their children of serious but regularly treated diseases ...If God wont help his most faithful– who will he help?

August 1, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • sam

So Ransom – you're capable of kindness? Are you only a complete asshole on the internet, then?

August 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • myron

@Ransom is that you shockofgod? when are you going to realize the question is invalid, the burden of proof lies on the claims of existence not on the null starting point. We are not born believing in god figures, this has to be taught to us.

August 1, 2012 at 3:47 pm |