home
RSS
'Where was God in Aurora?' comments show Internet as church for atheists
Some atheists may ask questions on the Internet that they wouldn't have asked in church.
August 1st, 2012

'Where was God in Aurora?' comments show Internet as church for atheists

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - The Internet has become the de facto global church for atheists, agnostics and other doubters of God, who of course don’t have bricks-and-mortar churches in which to congregate.

We see this phenomenon in motion every day on the CNN Belief Blog, where atheists/agnostics/humanists are among the most zealous commenters.

Recent string of posts around the question of “Where was God in Aurora?” (such as this and this) drew especially large waves of comments that show atheists are using the Internet to commune with one another and to confront religious believers in ways that they don’t usually do in church.

Atheists and other secularists have offline organizations that stage in-person meetings - the Secular Student Alliance has seen its number of campus chapters quadruple in the last five years, to 368 - but the Internet has probably played a bigger role in the rise of the so-called New Atheism. The movement’s adherents evangelize their godlessness, just as many religious folks evangelize their God, often taking to the Belief Blog to do so.

“A lot of millennials who are coming of age have found that the Internet is a fantastic place to talk about their doubt,” says Jesse Galef, communications director for the Secular Student Alliance. “Before the Internet, there was no place for young people to do that. The only place to go was really church, and that wasn’t always a welcoming place.

“But they can go online and discuss these ideas without being judged by friends and families,” Galef says.

For closeted atheists, the Internet’s anonymity is a big draw. A coalition of national atheist groups recently launched a program to transition doubting clergy to lives of open atheism by first having ministers come out anonymously in a closed online community.

Plenty of other atheists, though, are using the Internet to connect with real, named people through Facebook and other online social networks.

“It’s the ability to access a larger community, particularly for people growing up in religiously conservative areas,” Galef says. “There is nobody they can point to to discuss their atheism or their doubts about the Bible or their morality, and the Internet provides that.”

On Sunday, a guest piece from a Colorado pastor argued that it’s possible to reconcile the idea of a sovereign God with the existence of evil and tragedy. The post has drawn 4,239 comments as of Wednesday morning, largely from atheists.

One of those comments - a letter from God penned by an atheist commenter named Colin - caught fire online. Here’s how his letter opens:

"Dear Christians:

"God here. I thought I would take the time to personally explain my absence in the Aurora shootings. While I was at it, I thought I would also explain my absence during every murder, massacre and crime that has ever taken place in world history, and in every war, in every famine, drought and flood.

"You see, I do not exist. I never have. Did it really make sense to you that I would create an entire universe with billions of billions of planets and wait about 13,700,000,000 years just so I could focus on a few Jews from Palestine about 2,000 years ago while ignoring the rest of the 200,000,000 people on the planet at the time? Did I make those few Jews or did those few Jews make me?"

The letter has been posted on reddit, where it attracted another 1,000-plus comments. (Warning: The reddit comments includes foul language.)

The vast majority of comments come from sympathetic atheists and other secularists (the discussion is reddit's atheism thread), a striking example of such folks doing church without God online. Many of those comments are deeply personal, confessional and poignant.

Here are five of the best ones. Some respond to Colin’s letter from God, others to the Colorado pastor who wrote for the Belief Blog last weekend.

1. CarbonEmitter

"I grew up religious and decided to be agnostic (as an) undergraduate. Even though I am now in my late 20s, I still feel slightly guilty because my parents try to ram religion down my throat. My mom converted to my dad's religion (from Christianity to Islam) right before having a double lung transplant in 1995. They are now super-religious and attribute her miraculous recovery to her conversion.

"Reading posts like these remind me of how ridiculous religion is and help relieve my guilt. Thank you /r/athiesm."

2. tazadar

"I like what Carl Sagan said about reassuring fables.

" 'The significance of our lives and our fragile planet is then determined only by our own wisdom and courage. We are the custodians of life's meaning. We long for a parent to care for us, to forgive us our errors, to save us from our childish mistakes. But knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable.' "

3. RyGuy2012

"You know, it really irks me to no end to read the article from the pastor, as he claims to not have an answer for why God didn't prevent the Aurora shooting, but then claims to know for sure that God is there when people come to lend their support and sympathies for the shooting victims.

"I just can't wrap my mind around this logic. Like, the pastor must find some other explanation why people are good and do good things. It can't be that people can just be good on their own. Because, apparently (our) natural normal state is to be completely uncaring and disregarding? It's just such a very sad and low opinion to have of your fellow man.

4. funfetti_cookies

"Of course, he says that. You have to scare the people before giving them a reason to listen - "I held her hand as she died." What a great way to start your article. Also don't forget to mention Columbine so people remember that tragedy as well, but then go on to explain why God still exists and this is all part of his plan. Religion is nothing more but a scare tactic to control the masses.

5. ConstipatedNinja

"I don't share this much, but I was raped twice by my pastor when I was 6. And by I don't share this much, I mean that even my own parents don't know (as a side note, he's long since dead, so there's no sense in bringing it up). I had to sit in the same room (with) him for three hours every Sunday while he told everyone - including me - how a decent human being should act. I had to for four entire years before my family moved to a different state.

"When it first happened, I had no idea what was done. I was too young to understand. ... It's indescribable. You're told all this time about this ever-loving being that made you and has planned out your entire life. You're told that he'll protect you when you need it. You're told that if you're good, then he'll be good to you. So obviously, I wasn't good. I wasn't good enough. I was created and the creator of all things looked down upon me and decided that I was a bad egg. Do you know how rough that is for a 7-year-old? I still have problems with self-esteem. …"

That comment, which has been truncated above, provoked an outpouring of sympathy and support on reddit, including this comment:

rumpelstiltskin1

"This stuff is why I love Reddit. Yeah we are a room full of strangers but when it comes down to it we're a community. I love reading the stories of others and reading the heartfelt replies. I love that anyone can express themselves honestly and it will be well-received here (usually). And although this one is a little cheeky, I love that I can learn valuable life lessons of self-acceptance and being able to move on from a guy named ConstipatedNinja. Thank you for sharing your story, and I admire the willingness to share such a personal story; it's truly inspirational."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Colorado • Violence

soundoff (4,699 Responses)
  1. Mattand

Dear Mr. Gilgoff:

With almost 4100 comments, I'm sure this has been covered already, but what the heck.

The internet is a "church" for atheists? Seriously? I'm not sure what your beliefs are, or your opinions toward atheists, but that phrase reinforces the stupid notion that atheism is a religion.

It probably makes your religious readers feel better ("See? They believe in not believing!), but it's a dumb statement that promotes a basic misunderstanding of what atheism is.

August 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  2. An open mind

I'm sorry I can't address every response cos we would go back and forth for days. I'm sure you'll agree that's pointless

Oh lest i forget, someone mentioned voodo was popular culture. Let me assure you that I've seen with both eyes and it's certainly not houdini magic. I had an assignment in Africa for a while you know. You're always welcome to go down if you want to see with yourself. Trust me, it's worth a trip. The world is big, go and explore it. it'll change you along the way.

Christians can certainly be very annoying (I have certainly met my fair share) but if you strip the teaching down to bare bones, it's just very simple and profound.

August 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Salero21's god

Unfortunately, the christards are incapable of "bare bones.". The religion doesn't allow it and the members must expound on ideas which claim a knowledge that no one has.

You want to claim voodoo has tapped into a "supernatural" vein? Ok. Just don't tell the christards. They will ostracize and condemn you to eternal damnation.

August 3, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • LinCA

@An open mind

You said, "There's alwasys 2 sides to every argument and if anyone in an argument hasn't at least studied the bible (study means self search, not some crap your sunday school teacher has fed you for years or snippets you pick up from bigots), I think it's fair to assume that you probably shouldn't be speaking on the matter else you would be very biased.

Read up a lttle on both sides, Science and then the bible or the other way around if you so please, then come back for a good ol' argument if you still want one."
      If you wish to discuss the bible, it would be good if everyone participating in that discussion has at least a working knowledge of it. But that discussion would be a theological one.

Quite a few discussions on this comment board center on a far more fundamental question. A question that can't be answered by any religious text. That question, of course, is "Are there any gods?". A theological discussion, by necessity, has to skip that question. Which makes those discussions to someone who hasn't skipped that question rather silly. To those on the outside, theology is really the discussion of the fabric, the cut, the colors and patterns of the emperor's new clothes.

Theological discussions are for believers among themselves, and for non-believers who wish to use the religious texts to show how silly those beliefs are.

August 3, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • fred

LinCA

August 3, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • LinCA

@fred

Are you doing OK? You don't seem to be yourself.

You said, "Get real the emperor’s cloths are important to you. If you and I go shopping a dress can make you look fat and we need to talk about it while the emperor is the same. Walk into the dressing room with a bad atti-tude towards the emperor and no dress will ever look good."
      Are you not familiar with the story of the Emperor's new clothes?
      See: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=emperor%27s+new+clothes

August 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • ME II

@An open mind,
      "Oh lest i forget, someone mentioned voodo was popular culture. Let me assure you that I've seen with both eyes and it's certainly not houdini magic."
      I'm not sure what exactly you mean by houdini magic, but do you have any evidence that voodoo is real? I would suspect that you, as an engineer, wouldn't take someone's word for it that a bridge will support its load, but instead would want evidence to that fact.

August 3, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  3. Modest Proposer

Time is up for me gents...I have to make dinner plans....I find it schocking that no one was willing or able to refute or address the problem I have presented. There are resources on the internet that will explain to you the tortured attempts individuals have made throughout the years in an attempt to construct a vaild ethical system without ANY concept divine or universal moral order. Check them out. They all fail the logic test spectacularly. Keep holding hands and singing "Imagine"...but try to imagine some possibilites John didn't...

August 3, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • OOO

by

August 3, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • ME II

Ethics are survival traits at the group level and are based on empathy and reciprocity.

August 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • lou

we've tried , you didn't want to listen. Instead you spoke only of eating people...go figure

August 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  4. Dyslexic doG

Some underlying reasons for people to be american christians.
    including but not limited to:
    – to have a reason to feel superior to other people
    – to have an excuse to meddle in other people's lives
    – to be part of a club
    – to mix with people who always agree with you so that you can always feel you are right
    – to never have to admit you were wrong (as you grow and learn and realize that christianity makes no sense)
    – to ease your fear of what comes after death
    – because your spouse is christian

August 3, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Based on my experience, the number one reason is that childhood enculturation and lifelong social pressure result in people believing with all their heart that being a Christian is simply what good people do. To question it is unimaginable.

August 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • lou

Your race only has advanced in knowledge when we question long held dogma...i.e the earth is the center of the universe

August 3, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

I became a Christian when I looked at the wreckage my sin had created and realized I could never make amends for that damage. Then I looked at Jesus who had pleaded with me not to act the way I had insisted on but loved me anyway, loved me even unto His death. I will always be faithful to Him, by His grace.

August 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  5. An open mind

@ bible clown,

I don't need you to believe me. It's your call. All i can say is i have somewhat been in your shoes and I know what it means to ask questions (Key word is honest cos evidently, God searches the heart for sincerity). All I did was honestly ask with an open mind and the answers started coming slowly.
    A coincidence here and a coincidence there..How many coincidences need to occur before I know it's a little more than that??? Like I said earlier, science & engineering teach me not to believe in too many and therein lies the great logic fail of the big bang ( a product of the same science that tries to teach me otherwise).

Test it out yourself! Just ask..

August 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • Colin

Go on TED and google "patterns" . I think you will find more answers there to the apparent dots you are joinging in your head than in Bronze Age mythology.

August 3, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • Cq

Why would you link "coincidence" with the "big bang"?

August 3, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • OOO

@OM,
      "(Key word is honest cos evidently, God searches the heart for sincerity)"

Evidently??? It's evident that god searches your heart for honesty?

There isn't even any evidence god exists, let alone evidence that he searches your heart for honesty. Where are you getting your evidence for this claim?

August 3, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

how can "God search the heart for sincerity"? Did he search the hearts of the victims in Aurora for sincerity? Did he search the hearts of James Holmes for sincerity?

August 3, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

how can "God search the heart for sincerity"? Did he search the hearts of the victims in Aurora for sincerity? Did he search the heart of James Holmes for sincerity?

August 3, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  6. An open mind

@ Salero21'sgod

If you're going to put up a rebuttal, at least use come common sense. What's the connection between what i said and your post below:

"I think that the Africans, instead of practicing voodoo should focus on slightly more important issues like genocide, starvation, AIDS and drought for starters.
    The supernatural is great at making a stick burn or someone speak in tongues but the really important things seem to slip the supernaturals grasp."

The point i am trying to make is if you can't explain voodoo naturally with all the laws of science, it must mean there is something else out there. I think we can start with that argument. Yin and Yang if it helps you understand my point. I couldn't agree more with you that they should focus on improving the quality of their lives but you missed the mark completely. That's a totally different subject matter.

And for the record, I don't subscribe to a denomination. Christianity is a personal relationship with God, not with a church or with a pastor. Historically, many churches have and preachers have hijacked the original teachings of Jesus and used em for personal gain. Never follow blindly. Always, use the brain that God has given you. Test all things!! funny enough, that's the science way but it's also the God way in 1 Thessalonians 5:21 (Imagine the bible is even man enough to tell you to not believe everything you hear but that you should test all things including it!!!)

August 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • Anon

It's ironic that engineers are religious since they have to rely mostly on reason and logic to solve stuff, except of course the fu-cking bible. It's all an ancient game of telephone created by desert nomads.

August 3, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Colin

As an engineer, would you not conside a Universe that 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% conducive to human life a major cost overrun for a super-being that suppsedly created the whole thing for us?

As an engineer, wouldn't you consider a being that took 9,720,000,000 years just to creat the Earth and then another 4,000,000,000 to create man as well behind schedule.

As an engineer, wouldn't you consider a being that created man as his crowning achievement so fvcking incompetenet as to be not worthy of designing a cadboard box?

Unless, of course, you subscribe to the " six days and a talking snake" theory of galactic and terrestrial formation.

August 3, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • Cq

Considering how easy a simple inquiry into the actual science would counter all creationist claims that evolution is false, I doubt that many of them take 1 Thessalonians 5:21 to heart. They just seem to swallow the stuff that people like Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron give them whole, and with their eyes closed.

And I think that your understanding of Vodou comes more from popular culture than authenticated sources. It's not nearly as "mysterious" as you've been led to believe.

August 3, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@An open mind

Hi -open mind...

You Said to @Salero..." The point i am trying to make is if you can't explain voodoo naturally with all the laws of science, it must mean there is something else out there."

Well, I'm too lazy to go look up and research whether science has solved the 'phenomena' labeled as 'voodoo.'

However, even 'if' ... it hasn't been explained by science, doesn't necessarily *mean* or = God... or "there is something else out there."

That is a pure 'argument from ignorance' or a 'god of the gaps' argument... as just because something hasn't been explained up to now, does not *mean* that there isn't a scientific answer.

It just hasn't been discovered... "yet."

Regards,

Peace...

August 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
  7. Dyslexic doG

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived. Isaac Asimov

August 3, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • Modest Proposer

Hoorah, dog, hoorah...if we can improve the reading comprhension of our society, the pickings should remain ripe for many years.

August 3, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

Modest ... I don't think you read Asimov's quote properly. 🙂

August 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm |

Properly read the Bible will create more Atheists...Yum

August 3, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

you got it. My bad.

August 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  8. Modest Proposer

A further advantage to the elimination of Atheists by consuming them is that many are, apparently, current recipients of student financial aid. My sources tell me that most are quite young...there seems to be something about extensive life experience that mitigates against Atheism...

August 3, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Cq

Not from my experience. I'm retired and in my sixties. I came to atheism only in my forties. Most of my friends who are atheists are around my age. I only know one twenty-something atheist personally, and she is lightyears more mature than I was at that age. I think that you are only making assumptions based on what you want to believe.

August 3, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Modest Proposer

I have my sources as to the average age of most Atheists, but you are cordially invited to the banquet.

August 3, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Mr.C

and who will you eat once all the atheists are consumed?

August 3, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • on the other hand, facts

On the one hand, there's your experience, and on the other hand, there are the facts. Many studies have shown that lack of religion is highly correlated with intelligence, income, and education. A few are listed here for starters:

Note the positive correlation with *income*. I invite you to spend some time researching this.

Of course this is not an argument for atheism! Just a refutation of your claim.

August 3, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • Salero21's god

Nice. First your priests sodomize, then you finish people off by cannibalism. It is to be expected from the christards.

More proof of the joke that is gentle jesus meek and mild.

August 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • on the other hand, facts

However, Modest Proposer is correct about atheism and non-religiosity being more prevalent among the young.

Perhaps society is advancing?

August 3, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

most athiests grow up being brainwashed children and when they start to learn about the facts of the world and compare that to the religious fairy stories, they move to atheism.

I would suggest that 20-30% of the US christian population are only calling themselves religious because they are afraid of their christian friends and family behaving like scientologists and shunning them. I would suggest that the same 20-30% of the US christian population have seen the foolishness that is christianity and stick with it as some sort of "club" just so they can belong.

What a sham!

August 3, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Modest Proposer

I am an Athiest, obviously. I only call myself a Christian out of convience.

August 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • Cq

on the other hand, facts
      This reminds me of the Far Side cartoon of an obviously wealthy couple, with the man at the piano and the woman asking him to "Play me the Blues".

Religion, especially Christianity, seems to appeal to people who are not particularly happy with their lot in life, and need the reassurance that things will get better in the "next" one. Others are attracted to the faith in times of crisis or, if no crisis is particularly evident in their lives, some helpful believer will convince them that they're actually quite miserable and need Jesus to give their life "meaning". Others still are impressed by religion's interpretation of reality. Maybe they find it easier to grasp than the scientific explanations, or they just haven't come in contact with the real science, I don't know, but they prefer the knowledge of the ancients over modern discoveries for some reason. All in all, there just aren't many selling points for modern, well-educated and relatively affluent people to either need, or want what religion has to offer.

August 3, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • What IF

Modest Proposer,

The average of all people in the U.S. is around 36 – that can be definitively addressed. Similarly, income and educational facts can be verified.

Which box people check on a religion survey is not so easily addressed. It depends on the definition of the philosophy which is presented and many other variables regarding the particular person who checks the box.

If given the choice between "Atheist" and "Agnostic", I would be hard-pressed to off-handedly check a box on a survey.

p.s. I fit into cq's demographic.

August 3, 2012 at 1:14 pm |

August 3, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • on the other hand, facts

quoting Modest Proposer: Are you blind enough to think that everyone who calls themselves a Christian really IS a Christian?
      Most do it strictly out of convience or to gain an advantage...like me...I am an Atheist...I only believe in what can be measured, counted, defined by science, the empiric. I am out for myself totally. If you see me sitting in church it is because there is someting to be gained from it...you are easily duped... end quote

whoops. got hooked by a troll. ah well. lunch break's over. time to go back to work at my lucrative and rewarding job.

August 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
  9. An open mind

I am an engineer and love science to the core. Studied the history of science most of all the great scientists that predated my time. Like a true engineer, I’ve tried to keep an open mind to facts and opinions on how the world was created. However, I have come to realize that the more I study the bible, the more I see that science actually confirms some of the statements in the bible. It’s amazing to see if you’ll just keep an open mind and read the book. For a few examples, read Hebrews 11:3 and think of the atom perhaps or Read Job37:31 and think of the newly found so called God particle. Just think and put away your bias for a moment. Think like people of science!!

Now, Christianity has been hijacked by bigots and if you truly study the life of Jesus, you will see that he just commanded us to love everyone and pray for them. God is love and Christians really need to understand that fact.

Has anyone ever since voodoo practiced on the African continent? I encourage you atheists to take a trip to down to Africa and see things that can only be ascribed to the supernatural (Science would crap itself if it tried to explain it). This means that if there is even the slightest truth to the fact that it is a supernatural (Good or bad), there must be another dimension.

Lastly, I lost my dad last year and I guess it got me thinking about the after life (if there was really one). Naturally, I spent a lot of time grieving and thinking about him . Then one day I had a random dream. In the dream, I was at the entrance of a covered room wanting to see my dad (I had forgotten he was dead). However, I was told I couldn’t see him because he was asleep and resting (The exact words spoken to me). Now I don’t usually remember my dreams, but this one was so vivid, I woke up and picked up my cell to call my dad. That’s when it came back to me that he was dead. Fast forward to a few days later, I happen to randomly open the bible to a scripture in the bible (1 Thessalonians 4:13-14). It says:
    “13 Now also we would not have you ignorant, brethren, about those who fall asleep [[g]in death], that you may not grieve [for them] as the rest do who have no hope [beyond the grave].
    14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will also bring with Him through Jesus those who have fallen asleep [[h]in death]”.
    Now, I don’t know how many of you have seen the Batman 3 movie. There is a scene where the city police chief tells a cop from his hospital bed.
    “You’re a detective now, you’re not allowed to believe in coincidences anymore”
    I have had so many more coincidences that were it not for my science and engineering background, I would dismiss them as mere coincidences. BUT, I know better.
    Like I said earlier, I am a true lover of science but the more I read the bible, the more it becomes clear to me that there is truth to the bible.

I encourage you all to give it a good read and with an open mind. You would be very surprised. If you not sure how to proceed, just say a simple prayer to God to help you understand his words. Even if you don’t believe in him, speak to him like you would to a friend. You could even say, even though I don’t believe in you, I want to know if you really exist so I am going to read your book so please enlighten me.

Ignore all the bigotry from the Christians (not all). Jesus only loved and that’s the primary command he gave.

Sorry about the long write up but I think it was worth saying. Have a good day

August 3, 2012 at 10:50 am |
    • Lux

Can you give examples of science supporting the bible? Are we talking water into wine? walking on water? living to be a 1000 years old?, flood that covered the earth? etc. etc.

August 3, 2012 at 11:01 am |
    • Tallulah13

I'm sorry about your dad, but it seems as though your faith is little more than an emotional response to your sorrow. There is still no evidence to support the existence of any god, and even if there were a supreme being, the chances of it being the come-lately, derivative god of the bible are very small indeed.

August 3, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • Modest Proposer

The young people of reason will free you from the bonds of faith!!!...just listen to them...no one has made these arguments before!!! Eureka...

August 3, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • Salero21's god

Interesting how that works. Blows your mind.

August 3, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • SoManyClosedMinds

2 Timothy 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

August 3, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • Bible Clown©

So you became a Christian because of a hallucination? What a cool story, dude! I'm with Terry Pratchett; unless the ghost says "I hid the money up the chimney" and you look there and find it, it's all in your mind. Get dad's ghost to tell you something you don't already know and I might believe you. Or you could be one of those "any lie that tricks people into god-believing is a good lie" people, making this up for some collection-plate goodness.

August 3, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • photojack53

Throughout MY life of science, I've NEVER believed nor seen ANY evidence for 'supernatural' events, past or present. I truly think that people can find their own 'justification' for whatever they want, especially when it comes to the Bible or religion. The peer pressure is overwhelming to some. Religion CLAIMS to have exclusivity to morals and ethics, but I always remind people that those vaunted traits, including altruism evolved in the animal kingdom as group-survival enhancing attributes millions of years before man evolved or ANY religions existed! Dame Jane Goodall, George Schaller, Frans deWaal and many other ethologists have proven that beyond all doubt. Religion is a man-made concept used for group control and coercion. I find it stunning that people STILL fall for those outmoded myths and belief systems into the 21st century and continue to brainwash and indoctrinate each succeeding generation. Virtually everyone on this planet is proselytized to by one religion or another from their own parents or from peers in their communities. When can this unnecessary and damaging cycle be broken?
      If we had "Science Fridays", like on PBS, or other outreach programs from the earliest times when children are first intrigued by dinosaurs, the stars and other scientific interests, we atheists could counter the propaganda from "Sunday 'school'" and bring them into the fold of rationality and reason. I often wish the Enlightenment period had truly been the start of a rapid transformation of society away from the myths, folklore, fables and foibles of religion. What a different world we could have had!
      Someone posted a Dr. Carl Sagan quote supporting atheism here. I'll include my favorite of his now:
      “... the use of our intelligence quite properly gives us pleasure. In this respect the brain is like a muscle. When we think well, we feel good. Understanding is a kind of ecstasy.”

August 3, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • Anon

You're still screwed up in the head. Fu-ck Jesus and Christianity.

August 3, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • Cq

SoManyClosedMinds
      "these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith."

Yes, resisting the truth is something everyone really ought to fight against. Reminds me of the evolution deniers, creationists, and how they systematically misrepresent the actual science in their propaganda. Surely this is an example of having a corrupt mind, yes? Their faith can't be very sound either, if they actually believe that Jesus would be OK with their lying about the science.

August 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • Keeping It Real

SoManyClosedMinds,

So you trumpet the words of Paul of Tarsus, the misogynistic, misanthropic, body-hating, ranting, raving zealot, super-salesman and PR expert from the 1st century?

There is not a scintilla of verified evidence that he knew anything supernatural.

August 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Woody

"Throughout MY life of science, I've NEVER believed nor seen ANY evidence for 'supernatural' events, past or present."
      – photojack53

One of my favorite quotes is one by James Huber. It makes more sense than all the drivel in the Bible, Koran and the Torah, combined.

"I believe that gods are by definition supernatural beings, that the supernatural by definition violates natural law, violating natural law is by definition impossible, and impossible things by definition can't exist." – James Huber.

August 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • I wonder

@An open mind,
      " just say a simple prayer to God to help you understand his words. Even if you don’t believe in him, speak to him like you would to a friend. You could even say, even though I don’t believe in you, I want to know if you really exist so I am going to read your book so please enlighten me."

So, you want people to PRETEND that they are talking to your fantasy god?

I wonder why you don't ask Ra to guide you through the Egyptian Book of the Dead; or Vishnu to help you discern the Vedas; or Mohammad or Allah to assist you with the Quran?

When you understand why you dismiss all other religions, you will understand why yours is dismissed.

August 3, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • Gabriel Malakh

@LUX

Hebrew 11:1
      1 Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld.

What this Scripture is proving is that Atheist can claim they don't believe in God all they want, but they do show faith in him.

For example! If I ask you, can you guaranty that the sun will rise tomorrow? What would your answer be? "Of course, what kind of question is that?" The reason being, you have "faith" that the sun will rise tomorrow due to "the evident demonstration of realities", of the sun setting and rising with pinpoint accuracy, all the days you've walked the earth.

"Though not beheld" means you have not seen tomorrow, but you know for sure, you have strong "faith", though tomorrow has not come yet, that the sun will rise, because the sun never failed us, it's always on time, "evident demonstration of realities!"

These realities are set in place by God:

Genesis 1:3-5,14-19
      3 And God proceeded to say: “Let light come to be.” Then there came to be light. 4 After that God saw that the light was good, and God brought about a division between the light and the darkness. 5 And God began calling the light Day, but the darkness he called Night. And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a first day.

14 And God went on to say: “Let luminaries come to be in the expanse of the heavens to make a division between the day and the night; and they must serve as signs and for seasons and for days and years. 15 And they must serve as luminaries in the expanse of the heavens to shine upon the earth.” And it came to be so. 16 And God proceeded to make the two great luminaries, the greater luminary for dominating the day and the lesser luminary for dominating the night, and also the stars. 17 Thus God put them in the expanse of the heavens to shine upon the earth, 18 and to dominate by day and by night and to make a division between the light and the darkness. Then God saw that [it was] good. 19 And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a fourth day.

Isaiah 40:25,26
      25 “But to whom can YOU people liken me so that I should be made his equal?” says the Holy One. 26 “Raise YOUR eyes high up and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who is bringing forth the army of them even by number, all of whom he calls even by name. Due to the abundance of dynamic energy, he also being vigorous in power, not one [of them] is missing.

You asked for proof that Science proved the Bible to be accurate.

While scientist in the past believed the earth was flat, resting on an elephants back, the Bible accurately, in great details, explained that earth was a sphere, hanging upon nothing, and that the universe is continuously expanding by means of God's power and dynamic energy.

Isaiah 40:21,22
      21 Do YOU people not know? Do YOU not hear? Has it not been told to YOU from the outset? Have YOU not applied understanding from the foundations of the earth? 22 There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth, the dwellers in which are as grasshoppers, the One who is stretching out the heavens just as a fine gauze, who spreads them out like a tent in which to dwell,

Job 26:10
      10 He has described a circle upon the face of the waters,
      To where light ends in darkness.

Job 26:7
      7 He is stretching out the north over the empty place,
      Hanging the earth upon nothing;

Shall I also show you where the Bible mention DNA? Why not since you asked for proof!

Psalm 139:14-16
      14 I shall laud you because in a fear-inspiring way I am wonderfully made.
      Your works are wonderful,
      As my soul is very well aware.

15 My bones were not hidden from you
      When I was made in secret,
      When I was woven in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Your eyes saw even the embryo of me,
      And in your book all its parts were down in writing,
      As regards the days when they were formed
      And there was not yet one among them.

Focus in on verse 16. What do you think this book where all our body parts are down in writing before we are even formed? No doubt our DNA which is compared to a book. The DNA contains the genes, the instructions for building a unique human body. It is the ultimate information storage system. No man made computer or technology can compare to our DNA.

August 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • Keeping It Real

Gabriel:
      "While scientist in the past believed the earth was flat, resting on an elephants back, the Bible accurately, in great details, explained that earth was a sphere,..."

Which scientist ever said that? A likely origin of it is from ancient Hindu MYTHS.
      –http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

Isaiah says the Earth is a circle... they had a word for "ball" or "sphere", but they did not use it. Regardless, Isaiah 40 is dated to the 6th century B.C. By the 6th century B.C. Greek philosophers were already speculating about the spherical shape of the Earth. –http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

(Yes, I used much-maligned wikipedia as sources, but you can easily branch off from there to more detailed references)

August 3, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • Keeping It Real

Gabriel,
      "How were these men able to know in details, all of these scientific facts, without the technology scientist use today?"

They didn't.

(and a claim like that, coming from one who doesn't even use the correct plural of "scientist" (ever... not a typo for you) shows what a "dummy" you are)

August 3, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Nope!

Gabriel,

They didn't.

You dear, with the name you chose and posts you put out, are proving that YOU ARE the real dummy!

August 3, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Modest Proposer

Can someone explain why the actions of our Brother Stalin were wrong?...the only thing that mattered to him was what was best for he and his associates.

August 3, 2012 at 10:30 am |
    • lou

Stalin,Stalin,Stalin....we are not Stalin...get a grip

August 3, 2012 at 10:43 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Stalin's problem was that he didn't address the famine that plagued Russia.
      He should have used his "purges" as an opportunity to make Soviet Soylent Sausage.

August 3, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • Modest Proposer

@IOU: You have freed me from my chains!!!...I used to believe, in the back of my mind, that there might be some MORAL ORDER to the universe...Now, unshackled by piercing Atheist logic, I realize my folly: There is no MORAL ORDER. The attempts of humanists to construct an artificial system of ethics are absurd: they are.like some chick at Starbuck's telling me I should be a vegan just "because"...while shaking her vapid, empty head...I am free!!! Free!!!....and available as a dinner guest.

August 3, 2012 at 10:55 am |

@doc:

Yes, Doctor, Yes!!! I feel the kinship between us!!!

August 3, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • lou

understand that morality is the best actions between each other to continue our coexistence with the least amount of problems......they have been with us before god ever was conceived. Morality was hijacked by religion.

August 3, 2012 at 11:01 am |

@iou:
      Oh, is that what morality is? Well I believe the best course of action is to keep mankind fractured and divided and to prey upon the weak...the "problems" will be taken care of by my associates who believe the same thing...are you suggesting that there might be sense of right and wrong, outside of the purely practical, that minght exist a priori in the human mind?

August 3, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • photojack53

Stalin was an evil, sadistic, tyrannical dictator with no morals and certainly no compassion. Fortunately for the rest of us, those uncaring, insensitive 'humans?' are few and far between. Hitler, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Osama bin Laden, Timothy McVeigh and others can hardly be called human, as they are missing one of the key components of humanity... ethics.

August 3, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • Modest Proposer

The possible existence of a morality based only on genetic principles is a nice idea...but since I know it has no basis in objective fact, I reject it utterly. Atheism has opened my eyes to the fact that my conscience is nothing more than a biological construct and easily discarded. Chimpanzees are known cannibals. So am I. The only good in the universe is what is good for me and my associates. Won't you have us over for dinner?

August 3, 2012 at 11:53 am |

@photojack

You described Stalin as EVIL...interesting choice of terms for an Atheist to use. Would you expound?

August 3, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • Cq

Doc is right, Stalin stupidly believed that denying the actual facts about Soviet production would magically work in his favor. This sounds more like a creationist mode of reasoning. The atheists I know don't ignore facts and figures like this guy did.

August 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • Cq

Modest Proposer
      Even modern, socialized humans turn to cannibalism when they are in a dire-enough situation, even Christians. Have you ever read the book Miracle in the Andes?

August 3, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Cq

Modest Proposer
      We can judge Stalin as because of what he did. This is a logical conclusion to make, not at all like judging all atheists as evil just because they are atheist. If you must judge us, judge us for what we are, not what you assume we must be.

August 3, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  11. lou

Behold, the emperor of mankind cometh at the head of legions of ironmen to topple the corrupt governments of earth and to unite humanity with science and reason. He will overturn all the stones of all the churches and burn the notion of deities out of the conscience of all. He will lead us into the stars to take our place as masters of the reality.

August 3, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • lou

you see anyone can write something"holy"

Modest – I don't answer to idle threats

August 3, 2012 at 10:09 am |
    • Modest Proposer

Not if I eat you first. It is to the advantage of me and my associates to keep mankind weak and fractured...and there is no reason we should not grasp the mechanism of the state to do so. Once we have control of the state, then we make the law!!! Not based on any absurd "morality", but based on OUR OWN best interests. I am the only thing that matters in the universe.

August 3, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • Simon Wagstaff III

Modest, man's nature is to form groups; are you sure your gang will be the biggest and baddest of the gangs, or will some other gang make you drop the soap? Limited government is the best answer to the gang mentality; consider Beirut, where the biggest gang ate the others and became the government, laws and all.

August 3, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • Modest Proposer

The strong will group with the strong to exploit the weak. What have I to fear if I fail?

August 3, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

" What have I to fear if I fail?" Well, you are probably figuring yourself as the leader of a group of amoral and violent cannibals, but there's that other possible future where they cackle "Bring out the Gimp" and it's you. Over the centuries that Man has existed, we have learned that a strong civil government is necessary to prevent gangs from forming. Of course, that's those of us who have a strong moral sense and concern for our fellow man, which by the way doesn't come out of a book.

August 3, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  12. lou

Do we all have to wait another 2000 years for the end too come for us to get over this nonsense called religion?

August 3, 2012 at 9:38 am |
    • Modest Proposer

Care to share your location? My associates and I would love to have you over for dinner.

August 3, 2012 at 9:42 am |

@lou

You are slow to respond. Since it is manifestly obvious that god cannot be logiclly proven, then he must not exist. I find the ethical constructs of the Utilitiarians to be even more logically invalid than the arguments for the existence of god. There is no good in the universe except what is good for me and my associates....is there any reason why I should not want to eat you...as long as I otherwise watch my intake of saturated fats and cholesterol?

August 3, 2012 at 9:51 am |
    • niknak

Unfortunately Lou, we will never get over this insanity called religion.
      We actually seem to be going backwards, as evidences by the tea party, radical christianity/islam/judiaism etc.
      I work with fundies, and they want this country to be the American version of Saudi Arabia. I have heard them support ideas like forcing people to go to church a minimum numbers per week, abolishing the Supreme Court and having a council of "elders" make laws based on the bible, kicking out all not christians (or more likely killing them), making divorce a punishiable crime.
      And those were just things they were discussing LAST week.
      You religious people are scary. And armed and ready to kill to show just how much you love jesus.

August 3, 2012 at 10:00 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@modest proposer
      Soylent Atheist is HEATHENS!!! HEEEEEAAATHENS!!!!

August 3, 2012 at 10:09 am |

Nik
      I have faith that reason will overtake non-sense. That the free-willed will defend against the tyrants of our souls. That we will create wonders that will one day have us forget about any deity.

August 3, 2012 at 10:13 am |

@doc:

Good one, dude.

August 3, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • Mr.C

seriously?

As the average lifespan for humans is about 70 to 80 years, I can resoundingly answer your query "no".

hope that helps.

August 3, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • lou

For our species to survive this universe we must take the long view of time.

August 3, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
  13. Modest Proposer

The only good in the universe is what is best for me and my associates. I do not fear you. i just want to take advantage of you as a protein source.

August 3, 2012 at 9:00 am |
    • Sarcasm

@Modest
      I suppose. If not and you are a born again, you probably have a great recipe on how to prepare one of the many placentas you have had. Please share, talk about a good protien source.

August 3, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • Achilles

I have few food prejudices...but generally shun organ meats.

August 3, 2012 at 9:29 am |
    • Bob

You should fear taking on the sin of the ones you eat. Taking on that sin is admirable, and I would applaud you for it. But think about your own immortal soul.

August 3, 2012 at 9:29 am |

@bob

The logic of the Atheists is unassailabe. There is no god. The only good in the universe is what is best for me and my associates. The Atheists are available and vocal...we should begin harvesting them now.

August 3, 2012 at 9:32 am |

@achilles

Good one, dude.

August 3, 2012 at 9:35 am |
    • lou

The only good in this universe is when humanity starves too to no harm against itself.

August 3, 2012 at 9:42 am |
    • Modest Proposer

My satisfation is the only thing that matters. I am the superman of the greatest Atheist mind in history...I am not constrained by ethics of any kind...I laugh at the pie in the sky moralities that have no basis in objective fact.

August 3, 2012 at 9:58 am |
    • lou

What is not good for mankind as a whole will be burned.....remember that Modest as you write outlandish comments that try to equate athiesim and cannablism....history will tell you that the first cannibals did so for religious purposes.

August 3, 2012 at 10:31 am |
    • Modest Proposer

Just explain to me why anything I have said is...WRONG...

August 3, 2012 at 10:38 am |
    • Modest Proposer

Mankind as a whole? are you kidding...why should I care about anyone or anything except insofar as they benefit me?

I don"t NEED mankind as a whole...only a strong few and weak groups to pick on.

August 3, 2012 at 10:43 am |
    • lou

You are just trying to antagonize with foolishness. Using the absurded to deterred logic....one cannot reason with antagonists

August 3, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • lou

Theists believe that their faith in deities places them beyond the human condition

Atheists believe we have nothing but each other so we most honor and respect each other as brothers and sisters

August 3, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • Modest Proposer

Why do you matter to me...except insofar as I can use you? The silly notion that men need all "mankind" is absurd...freed of ethical contraints, it is only what is in my best interests that matters...the rest of mankind are nothing but cattle

August 3, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • Salero21's god

The Catholic Church is the worst violator of self-aggrandizement and bigotry. Makes you wonder.

Well, not really. That Nazi Pope Herr Rarzinger explains it.

August 3, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • Bubba™

"Just explain to me why anything I have said is...WRONG..." Clear violation of Wheaton's Law, for one thing, and for another, you would eventually get around to me, and end up fed to my pigs. The worst time in any bully's life is when he meets something bigger than himself, and doesn't instantly recognize it.

August 3, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  14. Modest Proposer

When you encounter an Atheist take the most expedient and most personally advantageous action: eat him.
    They are high in protein and a good source of b vitamins and amino acids.
    Just do not allow yourself to be apprehended by the authorities until the eating of Atheists is fully regonized and sanctioned by the state. Remember, you have nothing to fear except law enforcement.... as long as you have braised, roasted or broiled the Atheist to an internal temperature of at least 180 degrees. They are also good in a casserole or fricasse.

August 3, 2012 at 8:23 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

My buddy Johnathan has a great recipe for Irish Long Pig that cooks up nice and swift.

August 3, 2012 at 8:33 am |
    • Modest Proposer

Yes....but the eating of Atheists has greater advantages than the eating of poor babes, in that they will have attained a much greater weight before slaughter. They are not as tender, tis true, but some sacrifices must be made.

August 3, 2012 at 8:38 am |
    • Mirosal

We have enough Christians, what we need are more lions. Put the "contests" on pay-per-view, and use that money for the national debt. We'll be paid off within a year!!

August 3, 2012 at 8:42 am |
    • Modest Proposer

The only good inn the universe is what is best for me and my associates. There are too many believers in the world to make our movement feasable. Atheists are a weak and available minority we should take full advantage of before their numbers grow to unmanageable proportions...besides, they squeal less when going into the pot

August 3, 2012 at 8:48 am |
    • Mirosal

Why are you scared of Atheists? Why do you perceive us as such a threat? Are you afraid that somewhere in the deep dark recesses of your mind that we might be right, and that shakes your faith a little?

August 3, 2012 at 8:53 am |
    • lou

The righteous have no faith in humanity, they are taught to think of yourselves as weak. They have faith in the imaginations of 5000 yr old goat herder scribbles.

August 3, 2012 at 9:46 am |
    • Bible Clown©

Eat me.

August 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  15. Reality

Only for the atheists and agnostics out there: a prayer to start your morning,

The Apostles'/Agnostics' Creed 2012: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
    and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (references used are available upon request)

August 3, 2012 at 8:16 am |

self glorifying
    and most importantly
    damned...
    :(:(:(

August 3, 2012 at 7:58 am |
    • AtheistSteve

You're seriously disturbed....get help.

August 3, 2012 at 8:05 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

self loathing – Doesn't this conflict wiht the "self-glorifing" assertion you make later in the list?
      depressed – Quite happy with my life full of love and music
      existential – Why is this a negative thing?
      suicidal/homicidal – I tend not to dwell on death – my own or others'
      helpless – If by that you mean lacking supernatural assistance, I'll agree
      desperate – Only to further my understanding of the way people and the world work
      careless – Perhaps if you mean about my non-existent "soul"
      indifferent – To threats of divine wrath, absolutely.
      lethargic – Only if I don't get enough sleep
      ignorant – Yet we tend to know more about both mythology and science than the average theist
      hopeless – Watching my kid grow into an intelligent, vibrant person who questions everything gives me great hope
      self glorifying – We're not the ones who assert that we're the predilect object of creation
      and most importantly
      damned... To suffer the slings and arrow of outrageous Christians, revelling in schaudenfreude as they consider their neighbours burning for all eternity

August 3, 2012 at 8:11 am |
    • tallulah13

Imhul86:

Don't you know that making stuff up about people you don't know is lying? Doesn't your god forbid "bearing false witness"? I guess you can add yourself to the "damned" list. If your god is real, we'll be seeing you in hell.

August 3, 2012 at 10:00 am |
    • niknak

You have absolutely ZERO proof of the last sentence you wrote.
      There certainly are some atheists who are some of those words, just like there are some fundies.
      Until you, the religious, have proof of your fairly tale hypothesis, then what you believe in is false.

August 3, 2012 at 10:06 am |
    • cemw

I see more suicidal religious people. After all, if you "believe" you're going to your great reward with harps and Elvis and Grandma and clouds and every murderer who ever said he was sorry, you'll be glad to go. If you, like me, are an atheist and know that this life is our only life, you wouldn't be quick to give it up. Not suicidal at all, and I'm sorry that you judge me because you so fully misunderstand my beliefs.

August 3, 2012 at 10:46 am |
    • Bible Clown©

Nope, none of those things. It says a lot about you as a person and a Christian that you would pretend to know something like that, though.

I'm a very happy person, I have a great job and a great wife and kid. I have a lot of accomplishments to look back at and lots to look forward to; I have friends and relatives and obligations. I do tend to think that I may be a better person than you, but to be fair, your posts make you sound like a whining little girl. I'm so not helpless that people often come to me for help, and the only time I'm lethargic is like Doc said, I don't get enough sleep. Why do you insist that atheists have to be unhappy or immoral? I can tell you that I have a lot of love and concern for my fellow man, and no man can complain that I cheated him or told him a lie.

August 3, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • What IF

imuhl86,

What a load of bull. Of course there are some atheist jerks... just like in every demographic.

I am a fairly nice (no, very nice) person... I won't take the time to tout my positive attributes, but there are several. I am well-liked socially. I'd guess that fewer than a dozen of the people with whom I have social interactions know that I'm an atheist/agnostic. I just don't bring it up; and in real life I tend to just let the religious ones ramble on uncontested.

I don't think that you even know who is atheistic in your world-scope.

August 3, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  17. imuhl86

lol... you guys are so strong without your God. as i said before, we have free will to do bad or good. its our choice.. God is everywhere whether you like it or not. watch when WWIII happens how you all start begging for God. you're weak, God is strong. let Him be strong for you and stop whining. athiest with your unoppressed vulgarity/nastiness/lack of spirituality/100%faith in technology and the internet are only feeding the prophecies of how the world will end. the beast is the computer/internet... if we all flexed our spiritual muscles as much as we did our fingers maybe aurora wouldn't hapen?????? JESUS > religion

August 3, 2012 at 7:48 am |
    • Monty Gaither

imuhl86 – "we have free will ", Do you believe the exodus story. In it the "free will" arguement is washed away. It says that "god" harden the heart of the Pharoah, so that he would not let the jews go, until the last 2 plagues had been release. In other words your mythical god did not want the pharoah to do release the mythical jewish slaves, until after the mythical god had killed all the 1st born of Egypt. If your sadistic mythical god can keep a pharoah from freeing slaves then he can keep a crazy person from murdering people. Unless this mythical god of yours wants to see innocent people gunned down.

August 3, 2012 at 9:02 am |
    • BU2B

First of all, we do not have a god. Second, god is not everywhere, only in your head (those voices you hear, they are still your voice). Third, stop using your religion as an excuse to hate others and pass laws that enforce your beLIEfs, and we'll stop "whining". Fourth, the religious have been saying that the world is going to end many times for centuries. Each time passes and we are still here. Fifth, talking to yourself and pretending that it is to "god" will not stop crazy people from doing crazy things. And lastly, the Jesus you are referring to is dead, has been dead for over 2,000 years, and is not coming back. Time to get over it.

August 3, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • tallulah13

imuhl, the problem is that there isn't a single shred of evidence to support the existence of your god, or any god. There is no rational reason to believe in any god. Why is it so difficult for you to be a good person without supernatural promises or threats? Why do you fear being responsible for your own actions?

August 3, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • niknak

Prove it U86 that god is everywhere.
      Until you do, then it is meaningless to me, and many more like me.

August 3, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • Wayne's World

" if we all flexed our spiritual muscles as much as we did our fingers maybe aurora wouldn't hapen?????? "

Or maybe monkeys might fly out of my butt. Six question marks is the sure sign of an insane mind.

August 3, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
  18. Salero21's god

Religiosity recedes as intelligence advances.

– Richard Dawkins

August 3, 2012 at 7:44 am |
    • Arvoasitis

And the shoreline advances as the water recedes during ebb-tide.

August 3, 2012 at 8:11 am |
  19. mitch

@pervert
    Thanks for posting, the more rational people see what kind of disrespect and ignorance the religiious crazies think, the more the sane will want to distance themselves from the likes of you.
    Peace and love, try and remember those bits, Thank You

August 3, 2012 at 7:30 am |
  20. pervert alert

Qu eers or atheists = not enough idiots to influence anyone.

August 3, 2012 at 6:05 am |
    • Salero21's god

spoken like a true "love thy fellow man" christard.

Nothing I can post disproves the existence of your fake jesus, god and religion than the acts and words of the christards.

August 3, 2012 at 6:41 am |
    • imuhl86

fake Jesus?? there were eye witness reports of a man bringing ppl back to life, and bringing himself back to life. bet you believe in cleopatra and ideas older than that dont you??

August 3, 2012 at 7:51 am |
    • AtheistSteve

Which eye witnesses? None of the canonical Gospels were written by people who even met Jesus. Just stories passed down by word of mouth. Which begs the question...How can you trust anyhing supposedly said by Jesus is precisely what he may have said? Can you quote word for word what John Lennon said in his last interview? From memory? Or Elvis Presley? That's what the passages written about Jesus are like. Someones recollection of someones recollection.

August 3, 2012 at 7:59 am |
    • Mirosal

You know, they heard it from their cousin's ex-wife's hardresser's daughter's boyfriend's roommate's next door neighbor.

August 3, 2012 at 8:15 am |
    • AtheistSteve

Ha Ha...yeah Mirosal...real dependable sources. My biggest beef is how Jesus, the son of God and King of all men , was illiterate. How does that make any sense whatsoever.
      God has this terribly imporant message to convey to all humanity but doesn't even bother to send his son to school to learn his a,b,c's....or whatever the Hebrew equivalents are.

August 3, 2012 at 8:24 am |
    • Mirosal

And not a single person thought to write that stuff down as it was happening either. You'd think that turning water into wine, raising a dead man, healing a leper, would be a little newsworthy, right? Guess it just wasn't that important to them, was it? I mean, when Obama or Romney fa'rt, there's a breaking "special report" on it, Nightline covers it, and a blog is made of it.

August 3, 2012 at 8:33 am |
    • Mirosal

Hey, that's it!!! "God's word" is just one big fa'rt... people talking out of their as'ses because their mouths know better!!

August 3, 2012 at 8:38 am |
    • BU2B

A 2,000 year old game of telephone is trusted above common sense, apparently.

August 3, 2012 at 9:07 am |
    • FYI

Atheist Steve,

You do such a great job writing and thinking - thought you'd want to know about the real deal with the phrase "begs the question" (it does not mean "raises the question"):

(link will not post for some reason - you can just Google "beg the question info" and it'll come up.)

August 3, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

Yeah, you can just feel the hatred flowing out of the Christians like fire out of a flamethrower. They crave our blood! Modest Mouse there wants to eat us, starting with the jiggly bits I bet. They could chop us all up into bits and it still wouldn't lessen the intense hate they get from that book. The prisons are filled with them, and there are more every day.

August 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm |