home
RSS
August 8th, 2012

1. Bootyfunk

i wish god cared more for the starving masses than he does for olympic sporting events.

August 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • wellwisher

And God wishes that you cared more about the starving masses too...so get off the couch, stop watching the Olympics and do something!

August 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • Kafir

Maybe we should call on Superman then. Unlike god, he gets things done.

August 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  2. Idealist

Well, I think this is a wonderful phenomenon. Detractors can say all they wish, but it reminds me of the growing number of professional athletes who take the time to kneel in the end-zone, bow their heads before a game, or make some other gesture of faith. It makes me feel really good inside...

August 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
    • TheVocalAtheist

Why does it make you feel good inside? Because of faith? Faith in what? A belief? A belief in what?

I get the same feeling when I think about Santa Claus.

August 8, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • Ting

Yes God really loves it when athletes pray at sporting events. Sometimes he gets distracted and forgets to save a child from cancer or starvation. Oh well. The gold medals and touchdowns make up for it.

August 8, 2012 at 10:13 pm |

Ting, I heart you.

August 8, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • KMW

Idealist,

I totally agree with your comment. They are wonderful role models for young people.

August 9, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • Matt

yes...because fatih is a good thing...an irrational belief without supporting evidence...how can you think this is a good thing?? Faith is what flew planes into buildings..

Faith is the excuse that people give to justify thier irrational belief.

August 9, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • Jack

I am glad it makes somebody feel good, because it makes me feel sick.

August 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
  3. LOLO Jones

I LOVE YOU LOLO JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE IS SO FRIKIN HOT OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 8, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
  4. MennoKnight

These athletes are a real inspiration and example.
    It shows that they have their priorities in the right place
    God Bless them!
    ps God secretly cheers for Canada. 🙂

August 8, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

can you make god move to canada and leave the US pls?

August 8, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • Kevin

No thanks, Bootyfunk. Here in Canada we see what religion is doing to your politics, and we want no part of it.

August 9, 2012 at 11:21 am |
  5. JohnQuest

Christian_Forever, do you really believe that Jesus Died for your sins and all that stuff?

August 8, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
  6. Reality

Time for some truth in Twittering:

The Apostles' Creed 2012 (updated by yours truly based on the studies of NT historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven?????

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
    ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (References used are available upon request.)

August 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You've really worn a groove in this blog with all this crap. WILL you stop or at least find something new to say?

August 8, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • MennoKnight

Please stop re-posting your crap. If you don't have any ability to just cut and paste then please just leave the discussions alone to people who want to talk.

August 8, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Salero21's god

and Reality wins in a landslide.

Thanks for trying to open the narrow mind of the religious.

Question bible-beaters: why do you think the god you believe in is the right one as opposed to the 10 thousand or so others that humanity has believed in?

Put another way, explain in a reasonable way why you don't believe in any of those other gods and you will understand why I don't believe in yours.

And this is before we even get to the bigotry so closely associated with christianity.

August 8, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
    • Reality

Reiteration is great for the learning process. As is reading and rational thinking followed by conclusions based on all of it.

To wit:

How much money would the following save the US taxpayers ?: And how many “souls” would be saved?

Saving 1.5 billion lost Muslims:
      There never were and never will be any angels i.e. no Gabriel, no Islam and therefore no more koranic-driven acts of horror and terror LIKE 9/11.

– One trillion dollars over the next several years as the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan will end.

– Eighteen billion dollars/yr to Pakistan will stop.

– Four billion dollars/yr to Egypt will end.

Saving 2 billion lost Christians including the Mormons:
      There were never any bodily resurrections and there will never be any bodily resurrections i.e. No Easter, no Christianity!!!

– The Mormon empire will now become taxable as will all Christian "religions" and evangelical non-profits since there is no longer any claim to being a tax-exempt religion.

– Saving 15.5 million Orthodox followers of Judaism:
      Abraham and Moses never existed.

– Four billion dollars/yr to Israel saved.

– All Jewish sects and non-profits will no longer be tax exempt.

Now all we need to do is convince these 3.5+ billion global and local citizens that they have been conned all these centuries Time for a YouTube,Twitter and FaceBook campaign!!!!

BOTTOM LINE: SAID SAVINGS WOULD PAY FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE !!!!

August 9, 2012 at 12:11 am |
  7. AverageJoe76

Has anyone definitively proven or disproven the existence of ghosts? maybe we should start there before we make up our minds on God. Seems like a logical place to start. Hence, "if they're ghosts, then there's an afterlife". But I haven't been convinced ghosts exist. The my question would be, "hey there, Casper...... how'd you escape h_ell....... or heaven.... or Soul Society?" From what I hear, there's no wiggle room after death. It's either up or down, right?

August 8, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • Huebert

Soul Society, I see what you did their 😉

August 8, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

@Huebert – I slipped that one in there, LOL. I didn't expect many to be familiar with it.

August 8, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  8. Christian_Forever

The only hope for the atheist is a Christians love and prayers. True Christians have nothing to argue about, all issues about God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are accepted as written in the Holy Bible. I pray that when everyone meets God you are ready to be judged for your beliefs.

August 8, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • William Demuth

I pray your beloved savior returns, so we can nail him up again.

Now we know we need a fourth one in his forehead, so he stays dead.

August 8, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

I know I'm ready. And guess what? I'll lose, cause that's God, and I'm a mortal. But my argument makes sense to me. I'd just be wondering; "why it doesn't make sense to him?" Either way, I made a side deal before I got to Earth.... I'll get in by beating Jesus in an arm-wrestling match.

August 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

And I pray that when everyone meets Osiris you are ready to have your heart removed and weighed to determine your fate, that He doesn't find your heart to have become enlarged from eating too much Chick-fil-a.

August 8, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

@christard_forever: That's okay...you pray for us and we'll think for you!

August 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Huebert

"I pray that when everyone meets God you are ready to be judged for your beliefs."

What a peculiar god you have. I judge people on their actions, because without action beliefs are meaningless.

August 8, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

William

Yup, destroying the brain is the only way to kill a zombie. If only the Romans and the Pharisees knew this.

August 8, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • ME II

"The only hope for the atheist is a Christians love and prayers."

So God is impotent in this matter?

August 8, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It's important to me that you know you're a dumba$s. Add me to the large collection of people who've tried to give you a clue.

August 8, 2012 at 4:31 pm |

Not my post.

August 8, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Ernst

William Demuth, I didn't know you were a Kenite? Jesus wants them to know He loves the children and offsprings of satan's too. It"s not their fault they come from his seed.

August 8, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why don't you call his point "mute", again, HeavenSent? That's good for a laugh.

August 8, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
  9. Rufus T. Firefly

Seems like God is always a ruse for faux humility among self-congratulating people. Why don't we ever hear those people who gush about thanking God and insist that He is the one who deserves all the praise, uwing the same logic when they fail? Why don't we ever hear people saying "It wasn't me who lost, it was God working through me. It is Almighty God that rightfully deserves all the disappointment and frustration."

August 8, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

That is hilarious, and would love to see it on a comedy skit or something.

LMAO!

August 8, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • J.W

People may not say it that way, but there are many times when faithful people feel let down by God.

August 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • fred

Although we really don't know how God is working many times we (Christians) assume based on Gods core nature that whatever happens is for the best for those that are in Christ. In short the best lessons in life rise out of loss or defeat.

August 8, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@fred

" In short the best lessons in life rise out of loss or defeat. "

I would agree with you that sometimes, if one is open to it, and depending on the circ-umstances, lessons & learnings can happen.

Peace...

August 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@fred

I suppose a core nature of division and destruction requires mental gymnastics like yours to grasp. Then again, you proved in the conversation yesterday that you are willing to twist into currently unknown shapes in attempts to elevate your own belief system and you don't really give a shit who you step on.

August 8, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

"Thank you. Thank you. I would just like say, having just (lost the game, missed the shot, not won a country music award, etc), hey don't blame me – it's all part of God's plan. Really, it's not me, it's Him."

August 8, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • fred

hawaiiguest
      Not twisted on this end. What was put up historically should stay as that is a representation of how Americans of that time memorialized those who died for this country (i.e a cross). The markers overlooking the Grand Canyon that praised the wonder of God who created was a historic snapshot of how the National Parks were viewed in the 50's as a wonder from God for man. Today you and your atheist friends can spit or whatever on the marker but the fact remains it is a marker of that time and your spit is a marker of today.
      Now, this day 2012 no one in there right mind would put up such a marker and keep their job with the National Parks. Today people do not respect the God of Abraham or Christ enough to the point any religeous marker is acceptable. Today public land and public buildings reflect a godless society. If all gods are acceptable there is no truth only disrespect for God. Exactly how does that disrespect any religion it is a statement of fact.

August 8, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@fred

Save your bullshit fred. I doubt you would feel the same if it was all Islamic symbols or all Buddhist symbols instead things that you already agree with, although you would most likely deny that here. Appeals to tradition are useless fred, our constitution is clear, and your version of seperation of church and state is plain stupid.

August 8, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • fred

Hawaiiguest
      When the Taliban smashed and destroyed all the ancient Buddhist and Christian shrines in Afghanistan so that only Allah was left I was very much saddened. Each time an Atheist demands a Cross come down like the one on Sunrise Rock that has been there since WWII it reflects how much atheists are no different than others.
      Atheist Stalin burned down the religious traditions of the past much the same as modern day Taliban. Exactly how do you justify taking down historic symbols in America on the grounds that somehow your belief is superior? Best figure out why the Cross of Christ is as offensive to you personally as the Buddha was to the Taliban or the Orthodox Greek cross of Christ was to Stalin.

August 8, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@fred

August 8, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • fred

Hawaiiguest
      “That was a lovely way to ignore the content of my post. Then again fred, that's been your MO for a while.”
      =>no, not going to let you get away with that twist as your post was fully replied too !
      1)You said;”Save your bullsh-it fred.”
      =>no reply needed as this is just your turrets acting out again
      2)” I doubt you would feel the same if it was all Islamic symbols or all Buddhist symbols instead things that you already agree with, although you would most likely deny that here.”
      =>my direct reply was that I was saddened when Buddhist and other symbols were removed
      3)” Appeals to tradition are useless fred, our const-itution is clear, and your version of seperation of church and state is plain stupid.”
      =>I made it clear that traditions are of major value in maintaining a society. Your opinion of useless is simply yours and represents a minority opinion.
      =>the consti-tution is NOT very clear and my version is in line with the Supreme Court, it is you who is bigoted : WASHINGTON — A badly fractured Supreme Court, with six justices writing opinions, reopened the possibility on Wednesday that a large cross serving as a war memorial in a remote part of the Mojave Desert may be permitted to remain there. The 5-to-4 decision provided an unusually vivid glimpse into how deeply divided the court is on the role religious symbols may play in public life and, in particular, the meanings conveyed by crosses in memorials for fallen soldiers.

August 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@fred

Ha I know you responded with the Buddhist thing, but that wasn't here in America was it fred? Looks like you ignored the point. You care about the symbols here because 1) They are in line with your own religion, and 2) It's close to home.
      And guess what, If the court allows a religious symbol on land paid for by the state, through tax dollars, THEY. ARE. WRONG.
      You really are unbelievable fred. You really don't care anymore how dishonest you have to be do you?

August 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm |

"Turrets"? TURRETS?

Derp.

August 8, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • fred

Tom tom
      Hawaiiguest was shooting off at the mouth (as in gun turret). He was also projecting out from the ivory tower of atheism (turret).
      You on the other hand sometimes exhibit Tourette's syndrome when replying to Christians. Oh, one more thing $#@%&*# opps.........what's the name of you doctor it seems to be catching.

August 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@fred

If you don't want me to call your posts bullshit, then don't post bullshit.

August 8, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, please. fred, you're not credible when you're sincere, but when you lie, you're past ridiculous and well into the territory of Schadenfreude.

You meant Tourette's in the first place; you just fvcked up. And now you're lying about it. Shame on you.

August 8, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
    • fred

Hawaiiguest
      You are the one disagreeing with the latest Supreme Court decision on military crosses on public land. The decision was 5-4 and had nothing to do with my opinion. The Cross stays. Sit tight you may be right next go around but for now all you will hear is the buzzer sound when you say the cross cannot be on public land.
      As to my interest in taking down the cross you are possibly correct as before my experience with God that would not have even been on my radar. If anyone brought it to my attention I would have thought it a waste of time and money. If an atheist cannot handle a WWII cross memorial that has stood over 50 years I would see that as his or her personal issue in need of attention.
      Your agenda is clear. If we put all the religious symbols in a big private museum believers will subconsciously think all gods are the same.
      Reality check for you Hawaii is that the Cross has power to this very day. Reality check for you Hawaii even the President of the United States must pretend to be Christian if he or she has any hopes of getting elected. Reality check non Christian believers and the godless have been attempting to kill of Christ and the Cross for 2,000 years. That power remains strong as ever and the light of truth cannot be extinguished. Care to argue that point? Reality check the Cross stands and the military might of the entire world and scientific advances have failed to tear it down !

August 8, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • fred

Tom tom
      My schadenfroh view of christ on the cross is inconsistent with Schadenfreude!

August 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@fred

Useless and irrelevant tangents seem to be your new specialty fred. Here's a fucking newsflash for you, I don't care what "power" you say the cross has. I care about the law and the constitution. I don't want my tax dollars supporting a single religion over all others. Unlike you, I actually want real freedom of religion, and unlike you, I actually care about the proper application of the seperation of church and state. You see fred, unlike you, I'm actually open to be proven wrong through logic and coherent arguments, instead of fallacies and assumptions.
      In short, I value intellectual honesty, unlike you.

August 8, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

fred, it's a good thing you can laugh at yourself. Everyone else is.

August 8, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
    • fred

Hawaiiguest
      Here is your declaration: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights”…..yes the heart and soul of America. You want to tell me that your logic and reason exceeds those who established this country? The truths are self evident to those with an open progressive mind.
      You can harp all you want but you cannot escape that which is obvious. Atheists, communists and the host of non believers that have attempted to tear down the Cross or stop the power of the Cross have failed. Unbelievers have 6,000 years of failure to strip away the power of the truth but that Cross still stands. But, please tell me more about your logic and reason in the face of “Truths that are self-evident”. Please tell me how the knowledgable scientific man to this day lacks the ability to take down the simple cross of a bunch of sheepherders. Get real and take off those blinders

August 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

fred, the words you quoted are from the DOI. The DOI is not and never has been the basis of law in the US. The Const itution is, and it never mentions god or creator.

Get a clue.

August 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • fred

Hawaiiguest
      You can harp all you want but you cannot escape that which is obvious. Atheists, communists and the host of non believers that have attempted to tear down the Cross or stop the power of the Cross have failed. Unbelievers have 6,000 years of failure to strip away the power of the truth but that Cross still stands. But, please tell me more about your logic and reason in the face of “Truths that are self-evident”. Please tell me how the knowledgeable scientific man to this day lacks the ability to take down the simple cross of a bunch of sheepherders. Get real and take off those blinders

August 9, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I can repeat stuff, too, freddy. Is your "turrets" acting up again??

Get a clue.

August 9, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • fred

Tom tom
      The heart and soul of the men who laid the beginnings of this country are clear. You cannot separate the heart and soul of a man from actions. We all proceed based on what we believe. The knowledge of the Creator was the corner stone of the pursuit for freedom and the cornerstone for the writing of the const-itution. Just because you deny the creator does not change that which was self-evident at the formation of this country. Interesting how truths were self-evident to the funders yet to you they are hidden. I don’t think you need any Bible verses to see where your problem originates.
      As far as your current thoughts go and the nonsense of the communists, atheists and nonbelievers on this site these 56 men also said in that declaration “Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes”
      Given that 56 out of 56 signed the declaration I would be interested to know how your logic and reason of no Creator is self-evident. I can tell you that it is not because you have no consensus and all scientific evidence points to one thing. The origin of life is not known by non believers. Now, just how is it these 56 fools found it otherwise?

August 9, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@fred

You know, I'm done. I can't deal with your dishonesty anymore. You're becoming just as bad as Chad is, and frankly I don't want to even bother with you anymore. Trying to have a conversation with someone so dishonest is just plain useless to me.

August 9, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • fred

Hawaiiguest
      I gave you hard facts and you run because you cannot logically refute what is clear. There is not one thing dishonest about my statement. By unanimous agreement 56 out of 56 representatives of the American Congress (strong upright intelligent men like; Hanco-ck, Franklin, Adams, Jefferson, etc) declared; It was self-evident that men were endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights then concluded the declaration with “We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world……
      You sit here 236 years later and claim God was not at the heart of the founding of America then claim to have greater logic and reason then the men who founded the greatest superpower the world has ever known. The disconnect is not on my side because the endowment by our Creator is self-evident. These brilliant men specifically said “we hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator.
      Sorry hawaiiguest you can twist all you want but these words are recorded and not subject to change. Truth is truth regardless of your temporary opinion in time. If you find comfort in words like dishonest it clearly does not apply to the fact all these men knew the Creator and source of America’s strength.
      The truths of the Creator are self-evident to those that would appeal to the Supreme judge of the world when charting a course for our very existence. These truths are not self-evident to you by your own admission. All you scientific evidence and rules of logic are an excuse, a smoke screen to hide the fact you reject the very thought of bowing down. It is why you cannot understand worship and think of it as a negative evil rather than an outpouring of love and respect that fills the soul of a believer.

August 9, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@fred

We weren't talking about the founding fathers, we weren't talking about the Declaration, we weren't talking about the very beginning of our country, and by the way, where in the Declaration does it specify the Christian god you deluded little moron? We were talking about the Constitution and the proper application of church and state. Then again, you don't really care do you? Anything to make yourself feel like you've won something. Anything to try and twist a conversation to suit what you want it to, instead of staying honest. Screw you fred, you lying, moronic, blind little sheep.

August 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
  10. William Demuth

Ironic

We are expected by political correctness to ignore the obvious racial disparities in Olympic results, yet we are now asked to accept a religious factor?

If we did actual research we would find race and reproductive orientation are huge factors, and "belief sysytems" of any variety are statistical insignificant.

Alas we lack the courage to actually perfom any such review.

August 8, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  11. AverageJoe76

Seems like a flaw in design if man is born a sinner. Two defective products (Adam & Eve), which were 'perfect' before they ate from that mysterious tree, were the start of ALL sinners down the road. The OT God is so flim-flam. He loves us, now he's disgusted, Oh.... I love you, now I'm gonna kill everything..... And my faith in God should be unwavering?!? Puh-lease. I mean, am I to scare myself into faith?

August 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  12. ME II

I suspect that a statistical analysis would show little difference in number of victories between professors of faith and non-professors. Furthermore, I suspect that such analysis would also show little difference between professors of faith in the various religions.
    Sadly, this article did not cover the tweets of "Allahu Akbar" or "Praise YHWH" or "Glory to the ancestors" etc.

August 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • A Frayed Knot

Kim Jang-Mi credits Buddhist mindfulness training for Olympic gold.

August 8, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

"A Frayed Knot
      Kim Jang-Mi credits Buddhist mindfulness training for Olympic gold."

I think in laymen terms that would mean concentration? Nothing mysterious or supernatural about it.

August 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • William Demuth

Me

My guess is the Kenyan God of Track And Field would have an impressive score in anything above 400 meters.

August 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • A Frayed Knot

VOR,

I agree... I just posted it as a counterpoint.

August 8, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • ME II

@William Demuth,
      lol.
      Good point, although I think the Caribbean god might have something to say about that:
      Men's 400m
      Gold – Granada
      Silver – Dominican Rep.
      Bronze – Trinidad

August 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • William Demuth

ME

Note I said ABOVE 400.

Kenyan God = Endurance

Jamaican God = Speed

August 8, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • ME II

Sorry, I misread/didn't see the "above" part.

August 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@William Demuth

Hey big willy d- !

I'm thinking they all pray to the holy one who is known as... "banned substances that they are able to fool the test results" God 😀

Peace...

August 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • William Demuth

therealpeace2all

Can The Rastas spoke de Ganja when day runnin man?

Jah want man with da Ganja, Brother Marley has taught us!

August 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@William Demuth

LOL.... I think that Bolt, Blake, Fraser-Pryce, Campbell-Brown all... "spoke de ganja" as you say in the 100 meters.

Probably going to happen in the 200 too.

Go... Allyson Felix !!!!!!!! U.S.A. 😀

Peace...

August 8, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  13. J.W

It is a fact that belief in God helps these athletes win gold medals.

August 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@J.W.

😀

Peace...

August 8, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • J.W

Peace did you say that you were from California?

August 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@J.W
      "It is a fact that belief in God helps these athletes win gold medals."

Where's the proof?

August 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

Not only can it help you win gold medals, it can help justify flying planes into a buildings. Basically, it depends on, "Am I completely bat-ish, or am I just bat-ish by association?"

August 8, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • J.W

Flying planes into buildings? That is not an olympic sport that I am aware of.

August 8, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

just saying.... God seems to grant power to all sorts of people in all sorts of situations. Good and bad. I'm sure the truest of villians have asked God for help from time to time to aide in thier 'endeavours'. And I bet some of those wicked prayers were answered.

August 8, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • Huebert

How in the world did you get to calling that particular bit of unsupported speculation a fact?

August 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

@Hubert – I thought you knew this already; if you can concieve what God does/wants, "it's a fact". They don't have to prove it because........1) "God's in their heart" 2) "God works in mysterious ways" 3) "He revealed this to me....."

You try it! Make something up and say you got the 'stamp of approval' from God. AUTO-MAT-TIC fact. It's like magic...

August 8, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • J.W

There is no other possible explanation for all the gold medals.

August 8, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@J.W.

Yes... I'm in California.

Peace...

August 8, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Huebert

@J.W.

You're right it must be their belief in god that allowed them to win all of those metals. How silly of me to think that it was due to genetics, thousands of dollars of equipment, and the years of training. The athlete's belief in God is the only possible explanation.

August 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@J.W
      "There is no other possible explanation for all the gold medals."

Alright, I have had enough of your insanity. There are no words that can describe how fu*cking stupid you are. You really should be put away and get some help, I'm not kidding when I say this. You are a sick, sick individual that needs a psychiatrist.

August 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • J.W

August 8, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • JA

obviously Voice of Reason hasn't been here long enough to see that J.W likes to spark a conversation. I think you need to ask the Doc (Mr. V) to prescribe you some Chillaxin.

August 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@J.W
      "Well I think you are very hateful. I would rather be stupid than have as much hate an anger as you."

Frankly I could give a sh*it what you think about me BUT at least you admitted that you are stupid, thank you.

August 8, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
    • J.W

I didnt say I was stupid I just said I would rather be stupid than to always be angry.

August 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  14. William Demuth

These folks are marketing themselves.

They need to spout the puke so they can sell some sneakers.

Large numbers of them are gay (and thus Christian hating), many are drug addicts, but business is business.

For example, I DOUBT the Chinese Olympians are tweeting God, because of the consequences if they do.

We are just the opposite, we do as we do because we are afraid of the consequences if we don’t.

Having felt the pressure to lie, or at least keep quiet, I am quite confident they experience the same pressures.

It takes real courage to openly reject Jeebus, and many non-believers remain quiet out of fear.

Some even parrot the pabulum so they can cash in.

August 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • Kalessin

Wow Billy....bitter much?

August 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • William Demuth

Who me, bitter?

I find it joyous predictable and amusing.

It's like the African Americans who worship Jeebus, while denying their ancestors that were kidnapped and sold into slavery were Muslims.

It seems that by using either a big enough carrot or stick, most people can be compelled to bow to whatever imaginary God is in favor at the moment. Sheep are eaily herded.

For example, I wonder how many Greeks tweet reverence for Apollo?

August 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • Kalessin

Perish the thought that any of these people arrived to their faith by study, observation and introspective thinking.

Better for the athiest bigots to just assume they are sheep.

August 8, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • Jesse

August 8, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

Unfortunately William, America has done such a mind-job on African Americans, the true effects of EVERYTHING is crazy. What happened to them is text book on "How To Completely Unravel People". The lost of their true religions is but one chapter in that book.

August 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • A Frayed Knot

Jesse,

Yes. King David said in Psalm 46:10:
      "He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
      I will be exalted among the nations,
      I will be exalted in the earth.”

A euphemistic way of saying, just SHUT UP and BELIEVE (what I (David) say).

August 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • Kalessin

Jesse- "If you arrive at faith by study, observation and introspective thinking, you’ve done it wrong and need to check your work."

Your opinion and not very unique.

August 8, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  15. Voice of Reason

After taking all of one minute to think this through; I am leaning towards thinking that people who believe in superst*itions and god(s) are a subspecies to critical thinkers. They just haven't evolved intellectually.

August 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • Eric

How so?

You cant group people together like that. Should we group all athiests with Stalin or Mao?

August 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm |

Eric

How so?

Knuckle dragging christians already do. LOl

August 8, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • Eric

Um no. I am a christian and do not. Now yes there are judgemental people in every group. I do question though those that behave that way and call themselves christians. They may or may not be that isnt for me to decide, but it doesnt track.

August 8, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • just sayin

There only a handful of true "Christians" in this nation. Perhaps you are one of them.

August 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • Eric

I dont consider myself a true anything. I am just a sinner like everyone else. I have however accepted Jesus as my savior. I am trying to live the life I am called to. But yeah I screw up alot. I was not always a believer I was the opposite.

August 8, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Eric

Sin is made-up and please provide proof that it isn't also please provide proof there was a jesus thingy.

August 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • Chad

well said Eric, nice job!

August 8, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • Kalessin

@Voice of Reason- Don't be a bigot.

August 8, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Kalessin

Voice of Reason- "Sin is made-up"

Prove that.

August 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Eric

Even the theories we use today and for some take as fact will be very different in the not to distant future.

The one thing that does not change is the word of GOD. And the more we discover about our natural universe the more it points back to GOD.

August 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • Pete

Except for the fact that it has changed numerous times over the last 2000 years.

August 8, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Eric
      "And the more we discover about our natural universe the more it points back to GOD."

I can't wait to hear the how and the why of that statement, please expound.

August 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • Eric

I will though ask a couple questions.

Why do people suffer from a guilty conscience? Notice the word suffer.

Why does and can guilt make a person physically sick?

August 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm |

Eric

"The one thing that does not change is the word of GOD."
      Now Eric I have to call BS on this lol

August 8, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • Eric

Stress which is a huge killer would be a non issues if we trusted in GOD. He is our provider. He set the universe in motion laid down the natural laws.

If we want to keep just to observable fact the universe is just under 14 billion years old but the measureabe universe so far is 46 billion light years accross. If that is true the speed of light must be being excided. Which relitivity says can not happen.

August 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Eric

@ just sayin why do you say that? Ancient text have been discovered that are verbatium what is in the bible.

I am approaching this from the position the bible is GODs word.

August 8, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • just sayin

I am by no means an expert but I did find this:

"The most precise estimate of the universe's age is 13.72±0.12 billion years old, based on observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation.[32] Independent estimates (based on measurements such as radioactive dating) agree at 13–15 billion years.[33] The universe has not been the same at all times in its history; for example, the relative populations of quasars and galaxies have changed and space itself appears to have expanded. This expansion accounts for how Earth-bound scientists can observe the light from a galaxy 30 billion light years away, even if that light has traveled for only 13 billion years; the very space between them has expanded. This expansion is consistent with the observation that the light from distant galaxies has been redshifted; the photons emitted have been stretched to longer wavelengths and lower frequency during their journey. The rate of this spatial expansion is accelerating, based on studies of Type Ia supernovae and corroborated by other data."
      In all I have more improtant things to relaly focus on in daily life...like enjoying it.

August 8, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Eric
      "There is plenty of evidence that points to sin and consequence. I could list statistics but if you dont have ears to hear or eyes to see it would be lost.

First off I have a perfectly working brain as well as eyes and ears, please list your statistics of your evidence for sin and consequence.

"I will though ask a couple questions."
      "Why do people suffer from a guilty conscience? Notice the word suffer."

Suffer? One might feel bad if they felt they did something unacceptable but the suffering thing sounds like a religious thought. A guilty conscience is a psychological turmoil between something you acted on and you feel a sense of remorse for it. I would imagine someone growing-up and indoctrinated into a a religious thought would be more likely to "suffer" do to the nature of their belief. A normal, healthy person would basically feel bad or upset and mad at themselves for doing something so stupid and in turn attempt to make amends. This is all natural phenomena your talking about, there's no need to bring a god or religion into unless you want to suffer.

"Why are there STDs having a biblical marriage relationship will keep you from that problem?"

A biblical marriage relationship? I am going to assume you mean a marriage between one man and one woman?

"Opponents of marriage equality often appeal to the Bible to support their views. So what is this "biblical standard for marriage" we keep hearing about? Marriage in the Bible is not restricted to one man and one woman, or in fact to any one model. There is, however, a unifying theme to the diverse pictures of God-ordained marriages in the Bible, and it is that different kinds of unions are accepted in different places and times, evolving in tandem with broader cultural shifts."
      Esther J. Hamori
      Associate Professor of Hebrew Bible, Union Theological Seminary

"Why does and can guilt make a person physically sick?"

Guilt is in the mind and the mind controls your bodily functions. A negative experience in the psyche can create all types of physical problems.

August 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm |

Eric

I am approaching this from the position the bible is GODs word.

And ancient text from other religions thousands of years prior to God's Children arriving on the scene that confirm the same stories were used and borrowed upon. God's Word does not hold much vlaidity when it is copied and borrowed from older ancient religions. You do realize there were ancient civilizations prior to the story of Adam and Eve and the whole tree and fall from heaven etc?????

August 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Eric

"Well VoR it is called faith. We all have faith is something. We do not and can not know everything. "

Speak for yourself. Faith is a useless excuse for believing something without good reason.

August 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Eric

I hope you do. I also enjoy life. The closer my relationship grows with GOD the greater the joy in my life.

And I have enjoyed our discussion thank you for your time and thoughts.
      I too have things to take care of.

August 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • just sayin

Now now Eric, you arent going to run off now are you. lol Or should I call you Tolpher?

August 8, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • just sayin

What I find interesting in some case on this blog where Christians are faced with certain facts, they scatter like roaches fleeing from any form of critical thinking. I find that facinating. Out fear they grasp at their as sumptions, rather than being driven to understand the deficiency in their thinking. If things are not adding up and facts being presented that reveal flaws....one would think that they would want to understand why or seek a "true" answer or "true understanding"..rather than defaulting back to as sumptions and running away.

Curious to see how Eric will respond.

August 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • Eric

@just sayin yes there may have been and if you read the bible closly it does not dispute it. Now it says GOD created Adam then Eve from him. They had 2 sons Cain and Able(to start with) Cain kills Able get banished from the land. He was afraid the other people would kill him (gen 4:14) when he leaves the land. CaIn also finds a wife (gen 4:17) So yes you could conclude there are other people preasent on earth at this point. So there is alot that isnt told.
      Also there is a reference to the sons of GOD and daughters of men in Gen 6 also the Nephilim This is a source of debate we really do not know.

All this is good to know about but what is really important is GOD loves everyone he wants us all to come to Jesus. To believe in Jesus does not mean you give up your intelect or rationale.

I do need to get going thanks again for you time.

August 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • William Demuth

Eric

Finds a wife? From where? Other people? Who and where did they come from?

Two people have two kids, one kid kills the other.

The remaining one marries? Who? His MOTHER.

Sheesh!

August 8, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • Eric

I will gladly continue this discussion at someother time I have chatted with you before. I do have things i need to take care of.

I understand and believe there is merit to most modern theories I will not say they are 100% wrong. I can say however they are not 100% correct. This is whay it is a theory not a law.

Anything called a theory is not complete fact.

And even if they were it still deoes take away that GOD created the universe and all the laws of nature. This point can never be proven either way using imperical evidence. You can believe what you want to believe. we have free will.

August 8, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • Eric

@William Demuth we dont know for sure. I do not claim to.

Ok i really do need to run

August 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • just sayin

"Maybe 1 group is neanderthal but who knows. And as for when this all occured we also do not know. Do I beleive the earth is 6000 years old by no means and the bible doesnt date it,. Men have. "

Um they were around thousands and thousands of years before Adam showed up. These neanderthals were reading and writing thousands and thousands and thousands of years before the Chosen Ones of God learned to read. You also have a huge problem of when the OT was first written 700 to 500 BCE.

"All this is good to know about but what is really important is"

Critical thinking and not as sumption..how about first validating what men say of the Gods and if that cuts the mustard work on the God relationship. If you cant see the HUGE credibility issue then you havent quite grasped critical thinking. Your God and his story is not original nor did he originate from the Chosen Ones. That is before you at your feet. What do you have prior to 700 BCE? If you find something, is it original or was this story told before and by whom?

August 8, 2012 at 3:03 pm |

---

Possible ? Sure. However with critical thinking you rule out the BS Gods. The OT is copied and hardly original starting around 700 BCE. Jewish God = BS borrowed stories. I have yet to find a God to believe in. So far the only thing presented is rehashed Gods of past created by men. So I live quite peacful enjoying my life while still alive because so far I have only heard hollow threats from men/women speaking on behalf of their "god". I dont give much credibility to a God that requires men to speak on his/her behalf.

August 8, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Robert Brown

The first five books of the bible were collated about 500 bc from writings dating to 1000bc. The idea that God was borrowed is unsupported opinion.

August 8, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Just sayin,
      The people aren’t threatening you. They don’t know you but care enough to tell you the truth. Don’t believe them, find out for yourself, then God will speak to you.

August 8, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Robert Brown

No religious garbage has been demonstrated to be true, and until that time, all it is is self-righteous babble and threats in an attempt to scare people into believing what they do.

August 8, 2012 at 3:24 pm |

Robert Brown

Sorry if the same stories predating a couple of thousands of years... one cannot give to much credit to after the fact. More and more light is being shed on ignorance. There was a time the Roman Gods were worshipped....but of course they now sit on a shelf called Mythology. Through studying and critical thinking we can map their origins. The Jewish God is no different. We are finding more and more the same stories in even more ancient religions well before the OT. I could have an "opinion" that it is unsupported that the Roman Gods are false. But I would look quite foolish under the "oinion" of others. This is the part where the individual has to conduct their own critical thinking and really digest the past and prior to the OT.

August 8, 2012 at 3:26 pm |

Robert Brown

Just sayin,

Um I was Born Again at one time. lol At some point in my "faith" it led me to desire to seek Truth and a true relationship with God. Through that process I ended up where I am at now. lol

August 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • just sayin

I didnt seek it out of doubt rather the opposite. Which I never dreamed or thought I would be where I am at now.

August 8, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • Ernst

Those texts were backdated and stolen from the Lord's truth. Just like the atheists back date their sites, literature, misc materials today or take situations out of context to repeat the opposite of truth so if heard long enough, some of their baloney will stick. All changing dates to make them look legit.

August 8, 2012 at 5:57 pm |

Ernst

HeavenSent, what texts are you talking about???????? You following the same post????????????

August 8, 2012 at 7:01 pm |
    • just sayin

Ernst/HeavenSent, I don't think you even know what I am talking about so please "name the texts" you speak of. If you cannot then it is obvious you are assuming by default for your biases.

August 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Anything that is claimed to have been written before God's Truth is a lie and fraud.

Amen.

August 8, 2012 at 7:10 pm |

Wow HS, truly amazing logic

August 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  16. A Frayed Knot

Athletes are notoriously superst'itious... lucky clothing or charms, precise dressing or other preparatory rituals, etc.

"From team GB’s star heptathlete Jessica Ennis, who insists on using a lucky tape measure for lining up starting blocks, to hockey player Alex Danson, who spins her taped-up stick around 15 times before a match, sportsmen and women will try anything to be the best (Taekwondo star Jade Jones admits to even wearing lucky Union Jack pants and socks during events).

And the Brits aren’t the only superst'itious sports personalities around. Serena Williams wears the same-style socks for every match; Rafael Nadal has to ensure his water bottles are all facing the same way at Wimbledon and Andre Agassi stopped wearing underwear after winning his first round match of the 1999 French open whilst going commando. Legendary basketball player Michael Jordan wore an additional pair of shorts during one NBA championship, and Brazilian footballer Pelé once sent someone to retrieve a shirt he’d given to a fan as he believed his performance had suffered since giving it away. Once the shirt was once again in his possession, he was back to his goal-scoring best."

August 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • just sayin

Superst i tion is the foundation which religion is created upon. Where are meee lucky charms?

August 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • A Frayed Knot

Superst'ition:

a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation

b : an irrational abject att'itude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superst'ition

August 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  17. WASP

i love how these folks give away their hard earned training in favor of some imaginary friend doing all this just for them; here's the main question, what about the american athletes that didn't make the olympic cut or the american athletes that brought home bronze or nothing at all? didn't they know that if they quoted a 2000 year old book and gave thanks to it's invisible creator that they could bring home gold as well. lmfao

August 8, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • HORNET

Jealous cuz my stinger is bigger?

August 8, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • WASP

@hornet: nah i doubt your stinger is larger than mine; however you can lay it out here and let's see. lmfao
      other than that, let's stay on topic please. 🙂

August 9, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  18. just sayin

And to the Christians who did not win, God did not favor you and you were a poor example as a Christian

August 8, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  19. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Let me guess. Lack of oxygen in the brain? Excessive enorphins? What's interesting about these OCD freaks anyway?

August 8, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Troll, if you're going to use my name at least learn to write.

August 8, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  20. Chad

May God bless all you Christian athletes!!!

August 8, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Chad, they are freaks. Blessed the way you are with the minimum of what it takes to spew absolute bullshit.

August 8, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Troll, I prefer to speak for myself. Get your own moniker and stop using mine to post your opinion.

August 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • just sayin

Chad, I am assuming you are wishing the blessings from the Sumerian God.

August 8, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
    • realbuckyball

He probably does mean the Sumerian god. Yahweh was one of the 70 sons of El Elyon ... straight from Sumeria.

August 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • sam stone

Why just the Christian athletes, Chad?

August 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

Root post has been identified by Chadwatch as possibly the longest string of words composed entirely by Chad, without the use of cutting and pasting.

Well done, Chad.

August 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • Bobby

That is only because his mom wrote it out on a piece of paper and left it by his computer, and I'm not sure that should count.

August 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm |