home
RSS
August 8th, 2012

1. Reality

Time for the truth in Twittering:

Reiteration is great for the learning process. As is reading and rational thinking followed by conclusions based on all of it.

To wit:

How much money would the following save the US taxpayers ?: And how many “souls” would be saved?

Saving 1.5 billion lost Muslims:
    There never were and never will be any angels i.e. no Gabriel, no Islam and therefore no more koranic-driven acts of horror and terror LIKE 9/11.

– One trillion dollars over the next several years as the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan will end.

– Eighteen billion dollars/yr to Pakistan will stop.

– Four billion dollars/yr to Egypt will end.

Saving 2 billion lost Christians including the Mormons:
    There were never any bodily resurrections and there will never be any bodily resurrections i.e. No Easter, no Christianity!!!

– The Mormon empire will now become taxable as will all Christian "religions" and evangelical non-profits since there is no longer any claim to being a tax-exempt religion.

– Saving 15.5 million Orthodox followers of Judaism:
    Abraham and Moses never existed.

– Four billion dollars/yr to Israel saved.

– All Jewish sects and non-profits will no longer be tax exempt.

Now all we need to do is convince these 3.5+ billion global and local citizens that they have been conned all these centuries Time for a YouTube,Twitter and FaceBook campaign!!!!

BOTTOM LINE: SAID SAVINGS WOULD PAY FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE !!!!

August 9, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

I suggest taking your message to the hills of Pakistan and preaching your gospel there.

August 9, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Reality really thinks himself to be illuminated as he ushers in the NWO which ushers in the one they worship, satan.

August 9, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Been reading "Watchtower" again, nitwit?

August 9, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I'm not a JW witch. My life got destroyed by the Illuminati that run this country.

August 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • Reality

Apparently, some missed this part of Truth in Twittering:

Saving 2 billion lost Christians including the Mormons:

– Saving 15.5 million Orthodox followers of Judaism:
      Abraham and Moses never existed.

– Four billion dollars/yr to Israel saved.

– All Jewish sects and non-profits will no longer be tax exempt.

August 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  2. Timmy

As an American this is very embarassing that they are spewing their delusions and belief in talking snakes, burning bushes, ghosts and other supernatural paranormal to the entire world. And 99% of all our children look up to these athletes than they do to a Nobel Prize winner in Science.

August 9, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • KEKC

Yes, it's a little embarrassing to see how Americans are still religious compared to other developed countries.
      On a positive note, religion is in decline even in the US.

August 9, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • HeavenSent

You're not an American. You're a trader if you don't know or abide in Jesus Christ's truth.

August 9, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
  3. KEKC

God, really?! Come on, people, it's 21st century. God is obsolete.

August 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Only to the big egoed atheists that have no eyes to see, nor, ears to hear His truth. Our country was founded on Jesus Christ's principles, you'd know that if you studied our founding fathers work instead of re-writing it to your perversion.

August 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
  4. Dyslexic doG

Why should these athletes not thanks Santa Claus? Given there is no more proof of the Christian god than Santa Claus, why should I believe. You seem to think that the Bible is proof? I can name countless books about Santa and there is no more proof that anything in the Bible is real than any of the Santa books. Why do christians discount the Tooth Fairy? Leprechauns? Thor? Zeus?. There is no evidence for them either, just ancient stories the same as the christian bible?

Athiests aren't know it alls ... they just look at christians with their jaws dropped in incredulity at the fairy tale that you believe and how manically you defend a book that is indefensible in its inconsistencies and contradictions and outright laughable unbelievability.

August 9, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • Santa Claus

I do exist. Have you never seen me in the face of a child on Christmas morning?

August 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The story of Santa Clause was taken from Jesus' truth for little children to learn about when He was conceived. Sorry it's over the atheists mindless masses.

August 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  5. Timmy

Well, that's just nice that Jesus is helping these people get their shiney new medals and his favorite football players get TDs, etc. I wonder how many children died in the dirt with bloated bellies while he was hanging out in London.

August 9, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

amen!!

August 9, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

Are you Atheist hyprocrites feeding them?

August 9, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • Really-O?

@LLR in Manitoba –

Do you donate to Unicef or do you just pray for the souls of the starving so you can feel righteous without actually providing any tangible help?

August 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

I am no saint, but I donate to several charities. I am not the one hurling stones.

August 9, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • Really-O?

@LLR in Manitoba –
      I'm happy to know you provide tangible help through donations (I hope they're not to "missionary" charities); however, don't you think "Are you Atheist hyprocrites feeding them?" is "hurling stones"?

August 9, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

August 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • Really-O?

@LLR in Manitoba –

Well then, you've exposed your lack of reason. Thanks for playing.

August 9, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

A hypocrite is a hypocrite. It was a statement of fact, nothing more.

August 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • Really-O?

@LLR in Manitoba –

Keep going...dig the hole deeper.

August 9, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Probably because folks like Timmy just talk to complain and do nothing to help others.

August 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
  6. SC

Don't make yourselves look stupid in London by tweeting God. At least save your faces there, want until you get back home and do it because home crowds already know that you are crazy enough to do such things.

August 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Gd

You look stupid !

August 9, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • Matt

You sound idiotic !

August 9, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Colin

I'm a Canadian and, like the vast majority of Canadians, a non-believer. God (pardon the pun) I find it so strange that our closest neighbours, the US, couldn't be more different. Would someone PLEASE explain why so many of you believe in God and feel the need to broadcast it all the time? I just don't get how one of the smartest nations on earth could be so weird when it comes to the farcical belief in a supreme being.

August 9, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

Colin, read a book called "The God Virus" which explains.

August 9, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

"The Canadian Ipsos Reid poll released September 12, 2011 ent.itled "Canadians Split On Whether Religion Does More Harm in the World than Good," sampled 1,129 Canadian adults and came up 30% who do not believe in a god. "

Source: Wikipedia

August 9, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • Timmy

Christians are the most vocal group in the US. The main tenent of their faith is to prosyletize and convert everyone else into their cult and delusions.

August 9, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • Denise

Very accurate Timmy, and sad state of affairs. I do hope that one day America will put Christianity and other witchcraft away and become great again.

August 9, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The Queen is the keeper of Jesus Christ's truth SC. Just something else you atheists didn't know.

August 9, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
  7. Thus Spoke a Modest Proposer

When you encounter someone who professes to be an Atheist, take the most personally advantageous action: eat him. Atheists are high in protein and a good source of B vitamins and amino acids. They tend to be greasy, so otherwise watch your intake of fats and cholesterol. Shield your activities in this matter from the attention of the authorities until Atheists are recognized as game animals by the state. Remember, you have nothing to fear except law enforcement as long as you have braised, roasted or broiled the Atheist to an internal temperature of at least 180 degrees.

They are also good in casseroles and fricassees.

Some within our movement have brought to my attention that since only a small percentage of the US population identifies as Atheist, a domestic shortage will soon ensue. The problem of the necessary importation of foreign stock is a real one, and though logistically challenging, should be met with by the harvest of readily available European animals. Atheists are more common in Europe since the great conflagrations of WW II and the Cold War. The horrors perpetrated by Nietzschean inspired Fascism are not easily forgotten. And the long and draining Cold War–necessary defense against the wholly Atheistic social and economic philosophy of Marx and the realized atrocities of Stalin, et al.–has left Europe moribund and stagnate. The irony that so many Europeans have responded to the historical horrors of Atheistic philosophy by embracing Atheism themselves is delicious. I suggest we take advantage of it: literally.

Make no mistake. I am an Atheist myself. But I will never reveal this to the world. It serves my interests to call myself a Believer.

Do not bore me with notions of how I should obey my "inner moral sense". My moral sense is nothing more than a genetic imprint, a primitive survival advantage I have outgrown–much as I have outgrown the need for God. I can discard them both easily. They are worthless to me. After all, God Is Dead and the only good is what is good for me. I am the Superman. I am Beyond Good and Evil.

August 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • paco128

YOU SUCK!!!!!!! MAY YOU LEARN WHAT YOU ARE MISSING...GOD IN YOUR LIFE

August 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • Huebert

@modest

I don't know what is funnier, your post or Paco's reaction to it.

August 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@Thus Spoke a Modest Proposer & @paco128

ROTFLMFAO !!!!!!!! 😀

The 'both' of you... now 'that' was funny !

Peace...

August 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  8. Seriously

Consider these quotes, and how you might feel if you lived in a country where these sentiments were mainstream:

“Our leader was not elected…he was appointed by Allah.”
    “Those who refuse to submit publicly to the eternal sanctions of Allah…must be denied citizenship."
    “I, your Provincial Governor, do hereby proclaim… a day of prayer and fasting for our country.”
    “Allah called me to this government position…my family fasted for three days to make sure it was true.”
    “"I would not put a Christian among my advisors, or in my government."
    “(our founding doc.uments) are quite clear that we would create law based on Allah of the Qur’an and Sharia Law, it’s pretty simple.”
    “I hope I will live to see the day when…we won't have any public schools. The Mosques will have taken over them over again and Imams will be running them. What a happy day that will be!"
    “There will never be world peace until Allah's house and Allah's people are given their rightful place of leadership at the top of the world."

These statements should rightfully alarm you. Now consider this, YOU DO live in that country, and these are not Taliban quotes. In the above quotes the religious references have been changed. They are quotes from prominent, politically powerful Americans who would establish religious control over America’s government. Here are the actual quotes:

“George Bush was not elected by a majority of the voters in the United States, he was appointed by God.” –Lt. General William Boykin, US Army
    “Those who refuse to submit publicly to the eternal sanctions of God by submitting to His Church's public marks of the covenant–baptism and holy communion–must be denied citizenship." –Gary North, Inst.itute for Christian Economics
    “I, Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim August 6, 2011, to be A Day of Prayer and Fasting for Our Nation.” –Rick Perry, Texas Governor and Republican Presidential Candidate
    “God called me to run for this office, and my husband fasted for 3 days to make sure it was true.” –Michelle Bachman, US Senator and Republican Presidential Candidate
    “"I would not put a Muslim in my cabinet, or in my administration." –Herman Cain, Republican Presidential Candidate
    “(Our founding doc.uments) are quite clear that we would create law based on the God of the Bible and the 10 commandments, it’s pretty simple.” –Sarah Palin
    I hope I will live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken over them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!" - Jerry Falwell
    There will never be world peace until God's house and God's people are given their rightful place of leadership at the top of the world." –Pat Robertson

These statements should be no more frightening in an Islamic or a Christian context – this kind of rhetoric is a serious threat no matter who it comes from. Theocracy is dangerous no matter whose God is invoked. We hear these things from pious politicians every day and are likely desensitized to them, but even momentary consideration reveals them to be un-American to the core. Religious fundamentalists make no secret of their goal of controlling our government and establishing their narrow beliefs as law. We must not let that happen – not here, not in our country.

It happens in small steps – the Ten Commandments in courthouses, prayer and creationism (“Intelligent Design”) in schools, revising science, history, and civics textbooks in Texas, State-endorsed prayer rallies, faith-based initiatives, and on and on – and because these steps may individually seem harmless, many people underestimate their consequences. That is why we must stay alert and fight to keep church and state separate. We should shudder whenever a politician or policymaker alludes to his or her religious beliefs as a justification for public policy. We should be deeply suspi.cious of anyone who claims to be chosen by God to lead us. We should aggressively defend our free society against any religious group who would hope to gain control over it.

Do not underestimate the importance of defending the separation of church and state. Stand up for it at every opportunity with your voice and your vote.

August 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Weird Logic

I wholeheartedly agree with the seperation of church and state.

August 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • lilred

Seriously, I agree with you entirely. One of our forefathers said "If facism comes to America it will come waving a flag and carrying a cross."

August 9, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

Perfect!

It's a shame that the media isn't shouting this same message!.

August 9, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • Perfection'stheGoal

Your last paragraph is unfortunately chronologically inaccurate. The things you mentioned have been around from the beginning of the nation and are just recently being removed. Don't act like they are a creeping poison. To do so is to say that the USA was born ill and is only now healing. If you believe that, then say it. I'm not countering your points (it would be hard to in this arena), but rather I am stating that they are not well made.

August 9, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  9. Drewid

Its one thing to not believe in God.... Its another to make fun of God and those who follow.... Judgement day will be very sad for one group of people in particular, joyous for another. Tell me what makes atheist so angry for something they cannot prove? Do you ever ask yourself 'why am I like this" maybe yours was just an especially dirty piece of dust?

August 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • Kafir

It's one thing to ridicule people, and another thing to ridicule ridiculous beliefs. Nothing wrong with the latter.

August 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Drewid

Kafir you have whats called "knowitallism". Atheist seem to be harbingers of this very dangerous disease. Unfortunately the only way to cure is to lower your pride and open your mind, can you do that? Do you get shivers down your spine after sneezing and someone says God bless you?

August 9, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • Kafir

You don't need to know everything to know that certain things are logically invalid. Do you need to know integrals in order to solve the quadratic equation?

August 9, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • TheTruth72

Kafir, what you just said is not logically sound. So if I asked you the question if you knew everything there is to know in the universe, you probably would say no. Logically, I can come to the conclusion that it is possible that God is in that percent you don't know. What most atheists are hinged upon is the lie of evolution. You take that away and they don't really have anything else to fill it with so that they won't have to believe in a God. Go study what is being taught in the textbooks at school and you will see that the "science" they are teaching you isn't really science, but is just lies. Check out Kent Hovind.

August 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Kafir

@TheTruth,

I repeat, do you need to know integrals in order to solve for the quadratic equation?

Let me dumb this down for you. Do you need to know how to do long division in order to understand that 2 + 7 = 9? The answer should be no. Likewise, it's clear when an argument that purports to demonstrate the existence of something like a god to be replete with logical errors. You can preach up and down that maybe god exists in a place we haven't discovered, but if it does, then it certainly DOESN'T exist in the tireless flawed arguments that theists trot time and again, believing they are logically sound. They're not, and understanding this doesn't require omniscience, because the errors are self-evident (at least to the educated).

August 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

@TheTruth72 – Evolution is a lie?

............ let me guess; Global Warming is also a lie. The Earth is flat. Humans and dinosaurs lived like the Flintstones.

(sigh) What kind of applications are running in that brain of yours?

August 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • just sayin

Hello you clearly haven't been to the creation museum

2800 Bullittsburg Church Road Petersburg, KY 41080
      (888) 582-4253

***Please note where it is....lol...surprised it isnt next to Dolly Parton Land. God bless the ignorant and stupid South.***

August 9, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • just sayin

" exhibits promote young earth creationist claims, including the idea that humans and dinosaurs once coexisted, and that dinosaurs were on Noah's Ark."
      All I can say is WOW 😮

August 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Drewid

Correct me if I'm wrong Kafir but I do not believe you have backed up your statements with fact. Do you think that voice you hear in your head came from dust as well? Fact is you do not know anymore than me or a 1 day old baby for that matter on how we came to be. The fact that a book that you do not believe in choreographs creation makes you angry and want to belittle others. Only problem is all is all you succeed in doing is reaffirming a believers faith so thank you and good day.

August 9, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • K Kim

Kafir,

It is you who is taking a leap in logic to go from "there is no scientifc proof acceptable to me so far as I know that God exists" to "there is no God". To be logically correct, you need to have all relevant and necessary information/knowledge. Unless you know everything there is to know, you are simply speculating that there is no God. Think of logic as an apparatus like a computer or a calculator that needs proper input in order to get the right answer.

August 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

Will Jesus participate in the "Naaaaa-Nana-Naaaaaa-Naaaa" song christians so desperately want to perform for the atheists and agnostics when you ascend to heaven?

Some Christian posts speak of this 'day' where they will be vindicated for enduring the trials and tribulations of keeping their faith in Jesus. And we, the nonbelievers, will perish while left on Earth.

...... and of course, THIS is all I'm supposed to hear to convince me to join 'Team Jesus'.

August 9, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • TR6

“Tell me what makes atheist so angry for something they cannot prove?”

But atheists aren’t angry at things they can’t prove. I am not at all angry at god, Santa Clause or UFOs and for exactly the same reason, they don’t exist. However self-righteous theists that want to force everyone else to live by the theists rules do exist. Just look at the burned down mosque or the teabag party. Yes I am very angry at them for trying to impose their will on me. Wouldn’t you be angry at a group that was trying to control you against your will?

August 9, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • Kafir

@Drewid & K Kim,

I never claimed that no gods exist. And frankly I'm not here to defend such a claim. Believe what you want, just don't expect erroneous claims to be unchallenged in public whenever they're made.

August 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

@just sayin – Yeah, I saw some snipettes of this Creationist Museum, and I'm truly amazed at how much money can be wasted. Just like some movies that don't deserve sequels.

August 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

As I get older, I realize how arrogant it was for man to even once believe they could have a personal relationship with a being of such immense power. Like we (humans) have a personal relationship with germs.
      So arrogant to think we know it.
      Arrogant to think you know what it wants.
      Arrogant to think it would create an entire universe, then pick a choosen few.

August 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • Drewid

lol, TR6 you do not realize that you are no different than said Theist you speak of. Call it passion but not all christians are the same and neither are all atheist. Anger manifest more anger.

August 9, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

but you do exactly the same thing about every other God and all of their followers!

August 9, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • Drewid

Actually Joe your facts on the bible are backwards. Jesus came to the world to show that we are all the same and can be saved from our inner demons. He spent his time with the "averageJoes" of the world not the high and mightys. Nice twist of the use of the word arrogant by the way, nothing is arrogant about Christianity in its truest form.

August 9, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Root post by 'Drewid' contains a form of the flawed argument known as Pascal's Wager

August 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
  10. RCC

Love a free country. You can tweet your love of the Lord, hate on a Christian and call them stupid for believing in a supreme being, pretend you you know everything or just be an observer, either way let's grab a Chick Fil A!

August 9, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • Kafir

Derp

August 9, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  11. My Name is Boffer Bierce

The Death of God has been met with sadness by some. It kindles in me the spirit of opportunity. God and the associated baggage of his “moral order” were impediments to progress. Nowhere is this more evident than in the sphere of commerce. Some years ago, I developed a most useful medicine. Taken internally it is a cure for disorders of all kinds and acts as a general tonic. Applied topically, it is a remedy for gout and psoriasis and posses an SPF of 15. The precise recipe is, of course, a trade secret and is protected under US Patent. While God lived, the oppressive machinery of society stood in the way of the production and release of my curative. The Death of God, I hope, will occasion its availability on the free market.

I speak of Oil of Man.

Oil of Man really is one of the most useful medicines ever discovered. Its production has been somewhat limited by the natural reticence of society to make the ultimate sacrifice for the afflicted. During research and development for Oil of Man, I was, in fact, forced to requisition unwilling donations of certain vital ingredients for my vats. The destruction of the logically inconsistent but simple moral system of the theists will, I hope, increase availability of the necessary raw material. A godless society is perfect for the production of Oil of Man. The attempts of the Godless to construct a logically consistent system of ethics sans theos are a failure and are easily discarded by the pragmatic and enterprising among us. Some free thinking rural physicians in my area have been utilizing my tonic for years now-sending patients to me (the only dispensing pharmacy) with a prescription they are pleased to designate as __OL. Hom.__

Thank heavens for the progress of free thought. The elimination of society’s detritus (unwanted children, the elderly, the poor, opposing political parties, etc.) and their incorporation into Oil of Man will be of great general weal to mankind as it hurdles into a future free of outmoded concepts like good and evil.

August 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Weird Logic

Atheism will necessarily result in great morality among an enlightend populance.

20th century examples:

Nietzschean inspired Facism: 66,000,000 DEAD
      Mao's purges: 40,000,000 DEAD
      Stalin's purges 20,000,000 DEAD

All products of Athesit philosophical systems.
      Care to take a leap of faith and put a group of Athesists in power?

August 9, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • Huebert

@weird

Atheism is not a philosophical system, it is a lack of belief in the supernatural. Mao and Stalin were simply power mad, evil people.

August 9, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
    • Weird Logic

Oh, no. Tthey were not inspired to murder by a lack of belief. Lack of belief simply justified their means. And did so quite readily.

August 9, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • WASP

@WEIRD: " an enlightend populance." seriously? enlightened by a 2000 year old cut and paste to fit your needs book? that isn't enlightened that's the beginning of the "dark ages". lmfao i love how the religious know next to zip about anything, yet profess we atheists are the ones in the dark. if you researched the dark ages, it was during the time the church was in power, not secular thought. the age of enlightenment was when we started to break away from the church and discover our world as it truly is; a drop in the celestrial bucket.

August 9, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • WASP

@weird.....again: "belief simply justified their means. And did so quite readily." you mean kindof how religious people used their bible to justify the massacre/relocation of my ancestors, or the way they refused to give females equal rights, or how religious people under the banner of the popes from the year 300 C.E. have pillaged every known corner of this planet for THEIR own benefit? you mean that kind of justifying their actions............or did you mean the kind of action like blowing up abortion clinics and universities, or crashing boats and planes into things? or did you mean the type of justification where they go through and create cults, that dominate and abuse women and children kind of like WACO? the men religious folks like to group in with us atheists, we just power hungry meglo-maniacs,bent on world domination. they didn't care whom they did away with.

August 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • WASP

@last my last post. lmao typing too fast and meant "were just power hungry" not we lmfao

August 9, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • Weird Logic

The Atheists have simply been more efficient in their extermination processes. No one doubts there have been some realiy rotten "believers" in world history (though most of them probably believed in nothing more than the Will to Power)...but the FACT is that the atrocities committed in the name of religon pale in comparison to those that have been justified by the logical consequences of Atheist philosophical systems.

August 9, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • CHOIR LOFT

Since that time, millions have testified to the merciful hand of the Almighty upon their lives and the lives of their families.
      Millions have also testified as to their bigotry against religion and they've done so by force, by imprisonment and by murder. It didn't work. No matter how many times a brutal government or society has tried to oppress the faithful, they've never been successful.

Enlightenment does not include atheist bigotry. Enlightenment does not include atheist narrowmindedness. Enlightenment does not include the effort to restrict a man from running a business or from speaking his opinion without repressive demonstrations.

There is no enlightenment in America when a single man cannot express his opinion without repressive and criminal methods being used against him, his business and his employees.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

August 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • CHOIR LOFT

Wierd Logic – You live up to your moniker. The truth is that WWII is a prime example of war prosecuted by atheist powers. Conservative estimates are that nearly seventy million people died during that time. Some estimates are nearly one hundred million. All the religious wars in history COMBINED do not even come close to that total.

Be an atheist if you are so convinced. Believe a lie if you want to, but do not expect the rest of the world to share your fantasy or your self-deceptions.

As for me. Keep your lies to yourself. They do not suit you or your bankrupt philosophy.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

August 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Kafir

Given that atheism neither promotes nor condemns moral behavior, it's always amusing to see someone trying to pin something on it. I suppose your lack of belief in unicorns is responsible for you excessive water wasting? or your lack of belief in Russell's teapot results in a preference for coffee over tea?

Weird logic indeed.

August 9, 2012 at 1:40 pm |

@CHOIR LEFT:

I think you misread my post.

August 9, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • Weird Logic

@ Kafir: Atheism neither promotes nor condems ethical behavior. True. If I am in power I can do whatever I want. The end justifies the means. There is no "right" there is no "wrong".

August 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • Jesse

@Choir

In the world of make-belief, your ‘facts’ might mean something, but here on planet earth, they are nothing more than conjecture where they will remain forever.

August 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • Kafir

@Weirdo,

You can certainly try, but we have established laws to protect people from abuse and harm. Laws that were tweaked and massaged over thousands of years in order to create a society that most humans value. And thankfully religion plays an increasingly marginal role in those laws.

August 9, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • Commenter

CHOIR LOFT
      "GOD DIED. That's a fact, but three days later – ON EASTER MORNING – He rose again. DIDN'T STAY DEAD. That too is a fact."

No, those are not facts. Sorry.

August 9, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • Weird Logic

Laws are made by whoever is in power. This is obvious. What is your point?

August 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • Humanity

Weird

You didn't listen. Atheism is not a philosophical system or a belief system or any type of system. It is a belief about a singular issue, namely the existence of a god or gods.

August 9, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"Atheism neither promotes nor condems ethical behavior."

What utter b u l l s.h i t .

Atheism promotes bot.tom up morality, specificly that of empathy. We base our personal morality upon our experiences of observing other humans going through trials and make moral choices based upon other peoples outco.mes. Religion likes to claim it's top down morality, that God sent law down from on high to the lowly stupid humans who would sl.it their own grandmothers throat if they felt like it without God's laws. This is the single most insane concept that comes out of organized religion and is so far from truth anyone with half a brain can see it for what it is, absolute horse s h. i t.

August 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • WASP

@ weird: how can you attempt to blame everything caused by human ignorance on a group of people that merely don't believe in any god/goddess at all?
      defintion of atheist:"One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods."
      atheist

1570s, from Fr. athéiste (16c.), from Gk. atheos "to deny the gods, godless," from a- "without" + theos "a god" (see Thea). A slightly earlier form is represented by atheonism (1530s) which is perhaps from It. atheo "atheist."

now a person may commit horrible acts and not believe in a higher power but it doesn't mean they commit such acts and find justification from being atheist; however on the other hand religious people have always used their flavor of religion to justify their hatred of others.

August 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Weird Logic

Oh, yes. Stalin and Mao and the Supermen of the Third Reich dispalyed great empathy. Explain the history of the twentieth century and the influence of Athesitic philosophyt upon it.

August 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Weird Logic

The Nietzschean Superman is the logical consequence of Atheism taken to its ultimate conclustion. Who do you think inspired the concept of the Fuherer?

August 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Weird Logic

You should change your post. It's more like the totalitarian dictatorship philosophies. But then again, that wouldn't let you have your little talking point would it? And the most important thing is attempting to discredit others for you, even if what you say is inaccurate, or just plain lies right?

August 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • Weird Logic

Totalitarian dictatorships with Atheism as their philosophical justification. Correct. What exactly are the lies?

August 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Mass Debater

" Explain the history of the twentieth century and the influence of Athesitic philosophyt upon it."

Okay. After a thousand years of violent religious governance by the Church, a handful of despotic facist dictators pushed back against the power of the Church and decided to become as violent as the Church, and some like Hitler used the Church for all it was worth having his soldiers, supermen included, swear fealty to Hitler and the Catholic Church with their right hands on a bible. Was their method of cleansing their people of religion right? Moral? Of course not, it was as violent and depraved as their predecessors the Church had been.

August 9, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

I'm gonna let mass debater handle this, I actually have work to do.

August 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • Huebert

@Weird

The problem with most people have with morality form an atheist's point of view is that it is utterly individual. Their is no organization, no scriptures, or code of any kind. Some philosophers come up with their own moral system but those systems are in no way binding. So yes, this can allow individuals to justify committing atrocities. But people have been committing atrocities for thousand's of years and the vast majority of those individuals were not atheist. The only reason that Mao and Stalin were able to kill so many is they lived in the modern industrialized world.

August 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • Mass Debater

Weird – "Suggesting something supernatural; uncanny"

Logic – "Reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity: "experience is a better guide to this than deductive logic".

I'm thinking a better name might be "Weird Wishing" because you use absolutely no logic in your posts as that would require some experience of validity.

August 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Kafir

Laws have been increasingly made by consent of the governed, but with basic protections. This isn't a coincidence. Enlightened societies discovered that tyranny is unfavorable, quashing the whole "might makes right" ideology. As such, you won't find too many people agreeing with such obsolete ideas... unless of course you're brainwashed and follow a mainstream cult.

This is the product of secular values. Atheism never needed to play a role in it.

August 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • Weird Logic

Oh, no. The murders of world Atheist leaders in just the 53 years between the deaths of Stalin and the deaths of Nietzsche far surpass the total of those killed in all historical religious "purges". By many, many degrees.

August 9, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • Huebert

@Weird

Nietzsche never killed anyone, nor did he order anyone to be killed. You cant lay blame for any death's at his feet.

August 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Kafir

@Mass Debater

Atheism does no more to guide moral behavior than theism does. Being that it's not a moral system, I don't see how you could say otherwise. The best you could say is that in the absence of religion, an atheistic worldview would rely on another source for morality, but even then, that source is not atheism. Should I dumb it down further?

August 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"far surpass the total of those killed in all historical religious "purges". By many, many degrees."

Except that they don't unless you have a very narrow definition of religious "purge". If you make a claim like that try backing it up with something resembling facts. I have seen the numbers of people killed in this last century and while staggering, they cannot come close to the numbers going back 6,000 years of organized religions violently forcing their beliefs on unbelievers. Also, the totals from this last century cannot be solely attributed to atheism and infact when you look closer at many of the totals, such as the Jew's murdered by Hitler, you will see a strong religious excuses used by many justifying their wickedness.

August 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Weird Logic

Your points are valid and have already been addressed.

August 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Kafir

@Weirdo,

You'd have an uphill battle trying to demonstrate that atheism was the driving force behind their actions, over, say, political ideology, economic disparity, territorial demands, etc.

In reality, atheism was more of a property of these individuals, like the color of their hair, or their shoe size, as opposed to a driving force. But you're free to show otherwise.

August 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"Atheism does no more to guide moral behavior than theism does."

You are right, though I had said that atheism merely "promotes" a bot.tom up morality, since without the top down morality being force fed, you have to make choices based on something else, and that something else is your own personal morality that whether you want to believe it or not, has been effected by watching others around you and seeing how they make moral choices and seeing the outcomes, then making your own moral choice based upon that experience.

August 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • Weird Logic

They simply practised what they preached.

August 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
  12. Your Religion Might Be Bullshіt If...

August 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Lance Koehnen

Love it. Religion is certainly an elixir for the feeble minded-too bad it is striking this planet like the plague.

August 9, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  13. Howie

Anyone who professes to believe in a mythical sky fairy is not a good role model for anyone.

August 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • McCraken

Yep, god did not give you those medals. You did through hard training.

August 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  14. Dyslexic doG

I'm sure a lot of the losing athletes are far more devout christians than these medal winners. Why has God forsaken them?

what a crock!

August 9, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Santiago

August 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

given there is no more proof of your god than Santa claus, why should I believe. I can name countless books about Santa and there is no more proof that the Bible is real than any of the santa books.

August 9, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  15. blaqb0x

Since these athletes attribute their success to God shouldn't they give their winnings and medals to their church? how about 10% of it?

August 9, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • darquarious

They might.

August 9, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • Santiago

So you come to the CNN belief section because there is not Atheism section yet.... It is your turn to scorn the Believers, in a while you will get your payback, since you are mocking God.

August 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • blaqb0x

If God doesn't like getting mocked by me, then she is more than welcome to come down and tell me to my face. (not holding my breath)

August 9, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  16. zzz666

Well, this is disappointing to hear how all these Olympic athletes are idiots who believe in a god. But, hey, they're all just jocks anyhow. Can't expect too much I guess.

August 9, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • darquarious

You're the idiot who thinks life, thinks people, thinks the world, planets, universe are all accidents. Created by what? Dust? Al Gore?
      Fool!

Most of the world believes in God. You're a fool.

August 9, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Huebert

@darquarious

actually every thing is created from dust. After the big bang the universe consisted of giant clouds of hydrogen, helium and lithium atoms, essentially cosmic dust. Every atom in existence is made from this dust.

August 9, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"Most of the world believes in God. You're a fool."

Most of the world would have trouble passing a 5th grade equivilency test, and the majority of those who would fail are likely either Christian or Muslim based on the supposed numbers of adhereants. So who's the fool?

August 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • Santiago

It is your turn to scorn the Believers, in a while you will get your payback, since you are mocking God, get ready.

August 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • Huebert

@ Santiago

I love it when Christians threaten me. Be nice or my imaginary friend will get you after you die. Oooh I'm so scared.

August 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • Mass Debater

" in a while you will get your payback, since you are mocking God, get ready."

That has been said for several thousand years now and the only payback that has come is in the form of believers torturing and killing unbelievers with their own hands, not Gods.

August 9, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • just sayin

Huebert

@ Santiago

They might sick Puff the Magic Dragon on you

August 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  17. Duh...

Wow.. tweeting God... these are terrible Christians.. Maybe instead of competing they can do as God commands in the bible and do more than compete against their non-Christian adversaries:

"If a man or woman living among you...has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars in the sky...take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death." (Deuteronomy 17:2-7)

August 9, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • TheVocalAtheist

Unless you can prove your commanding god exists what you say is meaningless.

August 9, 2012 at 11:32 am |
    • Duh...

Being sarcastic 😉

August 9, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • darquarious

VocalAtheist,

Unless you can prove that you love your mom and dad, then nothing you say matters.
      Prove your dad loves you.
      Prove that you aren't g@y too.

August 9, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Huebert

@darquarious

Major logic fail. Duh... was being sarcastic, but the logic of his sarcasm was based in the belief that god exist thus Vocal's challenge, while unnecessary, was logically valid. You are asking Vocal to prove items that are not at issue.

August 9, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • J.W

They did not follow the verse "thou shall not tweet God."

August 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Kafir

@Darq,

Maybe he has no interest in demonstrating love for his parents. A claimant always has a burden of proof, but they have to be claiming something in the first place.

August 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  18. KMW

Missy Franklin is my hero. What a wonderful role model for young people today. . You are the best.

August 9, 2012 at 10:48 am |
  19. just sayin

New day for Christians to fight freedom , liberty and civil rights. Cant wait.

August 9, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • AGuest9

What "new day"? Xtians have been fighting freedom, liberty and civil rights for a long time. The South during the 50s and 60s as historical proof. Need more? Look at how science was held back by the church for centuries, especially medicine, physics and astronomy.

August 9, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
  20. Ben

The good thing about Chemosh, God of Moab, is that He is Lord of Heaven and Earth, the One and Only, whether or not you choose to believe in Him.

August 9, 2012 at 9:19 am |