home
RSS
August 8th, 2012

1. jimmer

Good thing jeebus made that commie fall off of the balance beam.

Otherwise I would only have won the bronze.

August 13, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  2. 111Dave111

Mormon God is a Space Alien, LOL
    Mormons Baptize Dead People, L&LOL
    Mormon Religion, Big Money, Big Bigotry. L&L&LOL
    Mormon man in white underwear, a reference to special Mormon garments. L&L&L&LOL

August 13, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  3. james hotz

It's OK , to thank God for all we have.

August 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Mister Jones

It's a little retarded, but yeah ... it's OK. I look at it the same as kids writing thank you letters to Santa.

August 14, 2012 at 10:33 am |
  4. Oregon Alley Cat

A persons religion is a little like their reproductive organs. Nothing wrong with having them. Nothing wrong with being glad that you have them. The problem starts when you start exhibiting them in public. There is a certain kind of indecency about the way the celebrities of any kind use their fame as a platform for spreading their beliefs. They should keep it to themselves, and if they dont they should be just a little embarrassed.

August 12, 2012 at 5:25 am |
    • woodscape

Indecent is an interesting description for sharing a belief. We share our beliefs of a recent movie we've been to, or a restaurant at which we have eaten. Viewpoints, beliefs, experiences on every level are tweeted, blogged, and shared 24/7 on all types of topics. Perhaps someone sharing their belief in God, sharing their adoration for the Creator really just frightens you because then you see people realizing and deciding for the truth – that there is more to life here on earth and that you and everyone will spend eternity somewhere. And perhaps you have yet to decide.

August 13, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • Oregon Alley Cat

No, people sharing their religious faith doesnt frighten me in the slightest. As I said, I only view it with the kind of bemusement that anyone would have if they viewed someone exposing themselves in public.
      Why do you assume that there is anything after death? Upon what evidentiary foundation to you base this viewpoint?

August 13, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
  5. Simon

I think there are some athletes who actually thank God whether they win or lose.

August 11, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
  6. debbie338

If God helps certain athletes win, then they're cheating. Simple as that.

August 11, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

Debbie338...At the bottom of Bach's music he used to write the letters sDg (Soli Deo gloria...Latin for Glory to God Alone). I think that captures the reason for why these Athletes are making their "God-Statements"...They know (by faith) Who created them and gave them the ability (and Who sustains them and gives them opportunity), and they DON'T want to rob Him of His glory...win or lose. When they do win they believe all the more that God has placed them in the spotlight in order to bring attention, glory & honor to Him. We were ALL created to be "worshippers", and we all have our little "gods" or "some-thing" we worship in our own way (from one degree to another) but they (we) have come to the faith that says the "something" is a "Someone"; The God of the Bible. Tebow didn't always win but he still gave God the glory with thanksgiving in his heart. Wouldn't you want a friend like that? If you owned a business, wouldn't you want an employee like that? I'm not saying they will not fail you but they (we) are striving by faith to be a good witness of Him Who will NEVER FAIL YOU if you trust in JesusNotReligion...sDg...Bob Dylanxwas right when he said, "Ya gotta serve somebody"

August 11, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • Jamie

@JesusnotReligion

Man oh man. No, no, incorrect, wrong, no, no and no.

August 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • Ron

Perfect comment!

August 13, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Ron

Excellent observation Debbie338!

August 13, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • jimmer

So how does god choose between two people who believe the exact same thing and both pray to win?

How does god decide who is more jesusy?

Does he consult Tim Tebow?

August 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

I would say the answer is that He is glorified REGARDLESS of WHO wins if both are willing to make Him known through their efforts...However, God is glorified in ways far beyond how our finite minds can imagine or figure out. He was most glorified in the crucifying of His only begotten Son (John 3:16), and most of the world still shakes their head at Him with mocking voices like those who were actually there when it happened...like you are doing in your posts herein...It wasn't too late for that one mocking thief who repented right then and there on his cross, and received JesusNotReligion. Admittedly, he is the exception not the rule, but God's arm is not to short to save ANYONE, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME...It may just be you tonight!

August 13, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • jimmer

@JesusNotReligion

Nice deflection 1diot.

You didn't answer the question.

Again, if two people who share the exact same religious beliefs both pray for the same outcome, who's prayers does god answer, and who gets fvcked?

You christards insist that the magic sky wizard and his boy wonder answer prayers. So if two people pray for the same thing, who's prayer does he asnswer, and who's prayer does he ignore. Somebody gets the shaft. God puts the blocks to somebody.

How does he decide?

Why don't you just admit that you don't know, or that it is all just bullzhit, and there's no magic fairy listening to the voices in your head?

August 14, 2012 at 9:17 am |
  7. Jennifer Holland

God doesn't exist.

August 11, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • Simon

Deep and profound statement, Jen. Are you enjoying your new Hannah Montana backpack?

August 11, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

I suppose Abraham Lincoln didn't exist either since all I have is the testimony of those I've never met...Now does that make logical sense? No...No more than someone looking at a Rembrandt and saying, "Nice accident"...or at Creation and saying "God doesn't exist"...
      JesusNotReligion ~~~>~~~~~Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.....>.......

August 11, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Dumb azz, there are photographs of Lincoln.

Got any photos of God? Jesus?

Idiot.

August 11, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

Really, Tom Tom?...Does anyone else who read his comment see the "faith" he has? Let this "idiot" (as you've judged mecto be) make you aware of the fact that any picture you THINK is Abraham Lincoln still requires you to believe that it really is him.
      Btw...God's "picture" is all over His creation..."The heavens declare the glory of God" (Psalm 19:1)...believe it or don't believe it...
      Notice I replied without attacking you personally...You oughta try it sometime...Peace in JesusNotReligion >

August 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Are you REALLY going to go there, you moron? Do you REALLY want to claim that there are no photographs of Lincoln? That there are no extant do c uments bearing his signature? That he was just a figment of the imaginations of millions of people in 1860?

You just go right ahead and do that. I'll be all a-twitter to see how much traction you get with that claim.

August 11, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

As for the existence of earth and humans "proving" there's some invisible fairy, you are both daft. The existence of life is not "proof" that goddidit.

If you have something else, do notify the national media. Everyone on Earth would be most interested, as none of you has produced an iota of evidence for any god, ever.

August 11, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

Ok...Last one from me because your posts are self-evident of who you are...I know you by your words, just like you know that a genius (a person) was behind the creation of the statue of David, or behind Minuet (7) by another person (Mozart)...Your own words (not) mine are your accuser...Your ignorance is showing and everyone reading them sees YOU! Try clothing yourself in the forgiveness of JesusNotReligion...or you can keep on shaming yourself for all to see...DONE.

August 11, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You're "done" all right.

Game, set, and match: me.

Sayonara, sucker.

August 11, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • Dorcas

If God doesn't exist, then you don't exist either because He created you in His image.

August 11, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

JNR, I have to say that you've certainly "won" in one category: that of absolute inanity. I've seen a lot of gibberish posted here, but your posts really surpass all other entries for disjointed thought, ungrammatical language usage, lack of structure, and an almost astronomical lack of any discernible meaning whatsoever.

Congratulations! You're the worst poster I've met yet!

August 11, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Dorcas, Dorcas, Tsk, tsk. Have YOU seen God? Is God male? If so, I'm certainly not created in His image. Is it female? Then my husband isn't created in Her image.

If I don't exist, who is writing this to you?

Are you an idiot? Did 'god' create idiots in his image?

August 11, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

Tom Tom...Last one (promise)...I will say this, you've made us all shake our heads with laughter and a compassionate form of pity. I hope you will come to Jesus...You've been warmly invited and lovingly warned...I will now defer to the infamous "I'm rubber your glue" debating technique of signing off...
      JesusNotReligion

August 11, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hey, sweetie, it's "I'm rubber, YOU'RE glue."

You wonder why I laugh at your silly threats. That's why. Because you're DUMB AS DIRT.

August 11, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • JessicaC

Why do you exist?

August 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • Bob Davis

I feel so sorry for you. May God bless you.

August 13, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • jimmer

"You've been warmly invited and lovingly warned"

OOooooohhhh the big scary lake of fire.

August 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

jimmer...This Post turned out longer than I wanted – my apologies:
      1) Jesus said "repent or perish"...Take up your problem with Him regarding the consequence for the type of "faith" that you have that "believes" the Bible is NOT trustworthy when it both warns all of us equally, and holds out the offer of salvation without prejudice...I am not some self-righteous wacko, jimmer. I have been the recipient of "grace" (undeserved/ unmerited favor: mercy) given to me 26 years ago after I opened up for John Waite. I can't make you believe but I can, at the risk of abuse, hold out the free offer of the gospel...
      2) "Hell" has lost its context if it is not understood "relationally" – i.e. Being separated from all that is good, pure, loving, true, righteous and full of light; GOD/Jesus Christ. If you don't want to embrace JesusNotReligion now by faith for a brief lifetime, then you will have all eternity to live with that faith-based decision...apart from Him; i.e. Hell
      3) You don't need to be sarcastic. This is a serious topic for ALL OF US. We all need to know WHO we are, WHY we are here, and WHERE we are going when we die...and WHY death even exists (effecting both those who believe in Jesus as the Object of saving faith, and those who don't)...The problem is "ritualistic religion" and the domesticating of the "Jesus of the Bible" has got those who don't believe, like yourself, disgusted at the wrong thing – though the Bible clearly teaches we ALL have a bent towards self-rule, self-righteousness, and self-destruction. And God is not obligated to be "Merciful", because mercy can NOT BE UNDER OBLIGATION...but He is obligated to be "Just"...I realize people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care...This forum does not fully reflect who I am or who you are for that matter, but I do write because I care – that is a truth you can not change – though you may still think I'm dillusional. JesusNotReligion saves by grace alone, through faith alone IN CHRIST ALONE...take it or leave it.

August 13, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • jimmer

"This is a serious topic for ALL OF US"

You believe in a 2000 year old iron age work of fiction, cobbled together by nearly illiterate, scientifically ignorant, peasant goat fvckers.

You believe in magic sky beings, virgin births, talking snakes, walking dead, and resurrections.

There is a shred of seriousness in one damn part of anything you believe.

Fvck you, suck my dick you sanctimonious delusional self righteous inbred backward blowhard.

August 14, 2012 at 9:23 am |
    • jimmer

"We all need to know WHO we are, WHY we are here, and WHERE we are going when we die...and WHY death even exists"

You should have paid more attention in biology class you stupid fvck.

I know exactly who I am. I have a passport and a birth certificate and a drivers license that all say who I am right on them. When you die, you are just dead. There is no such thing as soul. It is an imaginary human construct. When the electrical energy within the brain that is your "conscious" is no longer biologically supported by the body, you will simply be dead. Your will be cremated, or you will rot in the ground. Death exists, because biologically humans have a finite existence.

August 14, 2012 at 9:29 am |
  8. JesusNotReligion

LinCA...I didn't say you had to believe it what I wrote...That's not my job. You can receive Jesus by "faith" or you can continue rejecting Him by "faith"...
    1) Isaiah 7:14 (700-800 BC)
    2) Micah 5:2 (700-750 BC)
    3) Zechariah 9:9 (450 BC)
    4) Zechariah 11:12 (450 BC)
    5) Psalm 22:16-18 (1,000 BC)
    6) Zechariah 12:10 (450 BC)
    7) Isaiah 53 (700-800 BC)

August 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • LinCA

@JesusNotReligion

Having trouble finding the "Reply" option?

You said, "LinCA...I didn't say you had to believe it what I wrote."
      Don't worry, I won't. It's complete bullshit.

You said, "You can receive Jesus by "faith" or you can continue rejecting Him by "faith"..."
      I'll reject him by reason, thank you very much.

You said, "Here are my PROPHETIC REFERENCES fulfilled in a real Historic PERSON...Where are yours?
      1) Isaiah 7:1.... blah, blah, blah
      "
      Don't you think the people who concocted the jesus myth knew about these? Your fairy tale proves nothing, other than that there are adults who still believe in that bullshit.

August 11, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

LinCA..."concoted myth"...statement of faith..."fairytale"...another statement of faith...Both are based on you BELIEVING that you have logically reasoned CORRECTLY – trusting in your unbiased mind – and if you're good with that then so be it. But if you are going to attack my God and my faith you better be prepared to present a logical, reasonable argument without all the smoke-screen ranting. Therefore, I will not let your unreasonable statement about some mythical Egyptian pagan god named "Horus" cloud the fact that you have ignored not only the reasonableness behind the prophetic passages & historic "BC" dates that I cited for you, but my request to present your prophecies concerning Horus being fulfilled in an historic PERSON. Also...How do you self-concoct being born of a virgin, being born in Bethlehem, or being turned over by a friend for thirty pieces of silver? And no gained anything from propogating a LIE, did they. You try to gather up 13-15+ ofcyour friends to all be tortured and put to death for a concocted story...Good luck with that...
      Btw...I specifically chose not to use the "reply" button...Try not being so arrogant and rude in your reply...Just because you choose not to believe in God it doesn't give you license to be abusive in your own way to others...or does it?
      It would also be good for you to read my post to "pockets" below...If you can't find it then tap my picture box and then the activity button...Remember, it's JesusNotReligion...a RelationshipNotRitual that SAVES.

August 11, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • LinCA

@JesusNotReligion

You said, "LinCA..."concoted myth"...statement of faith..."fairytale"...another statement of faith...Both are based on you BELIEVING that you have logically reasoned CORRECTLY"
      I have the absence of any evidence in favor of your fairy tale on my side. Unless you can provide some support for your myth, it is unreasonable to believe any of it.

You said, "But if you are going to attack my God and my faith you better be prepared to present a logical, reasonable argument without all the smoke-screen ranting."
      Your god is a figment of your imagination. An imaginary friend. It doesn't exist. Unless you have some evidence to back up your assertion that there is such a creature, I'm calling bullshit.

You said, "Therefore, I will not let your unreasonable statement about some mythical Egyptian pagan god named "Horus" cloud the fact that you have ignored not only the reasonableness behind the prophetic passages & historic "BC" dates that I cited for you, but my request to present your prophecies concerning Horus being fulfilled in an historic PERSON."
      Horus was the model for your baby Jesus. Virtually everything that is attributed to Jesus was stolen from the Horus myth. Your Jesus may, or may not, have been a historical person, but even if he was, he was likely no more special than anyone else. There is no reason to believe he, if he existed, was anything other than a gullible believer that was deluded into thinking he was special.

Just because his mother refused to admit to an illicit affair, doesn't mean he was born to a virgin.

None of the prophecies that you claimed were fulfilled, actually were. They all have been post-mortum assigned to your guy.

You said, "Btw...I specifically chose not to use the "reply" button."
      Chopping up a conversation by not using the reply function is lame, but whatever.

You said, "Just because you choose not to believe in God it doesn't give you license to be abusive in your own way to others...or does it?"
      You felt abused? Is your faith not strong enough to stand up to a little criticism?

August 11, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

LinCA...The more you write the more you rant, and insult...I have dealt with more logical criticisms then you are straining to put forth – and from those with at least some good will. You keep making more and more blanket statements of faith and still have not address my original question. You are obviously not of good will......cut and paste that.
      You'll have to forgive me for bowing out now...but I'm sure you have something nice to say before do – though that would be an illogical statement of faith in you, wouldn't it?
      JesusNotReligion is the answer – just ask the right question!

August 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Translation of above post: I can't refute any of your assertions, as i have no facts to cite. So I'm going to run away and claim you're a bully, while crying in my beer.

August 11, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
    • LinCA

@JesusNotReligion

You keep claiming I "rant" and "insult", yet you don't refute anything. You seem to be seriously deluded to think that you somehow have the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. But when you boil it down, all you have is a fairy tale. You don't have a shred of evidence to back up anything you've said. You have nothing.

I get it, you feel insulted because I insinuated that the guy to have your life devoted to was nothing more than a thoroughly deluded individual. You probably didn't like it when I insinuated that his mother was a whore.

But, without evidence, my version is far more likely than yours. I don't expect you to believe me. And really, I couldn't care less. But if you aim to convince any rational person that your boy was special in any way, start by providing some evidence. May I suggest that you start by showing that his dad was anyone other than a roman centurion looking for a good time.

August 11, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
  9. JesusNotReligion

pockets...and all anti-christ bloggernauts: See if you are SMARTER THAN A PhD...
    Jesus asked, "Who do YOU say that I am?" (Matthew 16:15 emphasis added)
    1) I was born of a virgin and called Immanuel (lit. "God with us")...WHO AM I?
    2) I was born in Bethlehem; One who came from eternity...WHO AM I?
    3) I, the King of Israel, humbly rode into Jerusalem on a donkey...WHO AM I?
    4) I was betrayed for thirty pieces of silver...WHO AM I?
    5) They pierced my hands and my feet; they cast lots (gambled) for my clothing...WHO AM I?
    6) I was pierced in my side and mourned for as one mourns for an only son...WHO AM I?
    7) I was pierced for sinners; the chastisement for their peace was upon me; by the whippings I received they (who believe) are healed (lit. Forgiven); I was Sovereignly sent to be put to death but I saw the light of day (resurrected) because the grave could not hold me...WHO AM I?

***If any of you fine, loving people said it was "Jesus" that these above statements (7 out of 300+ more) were referring to, YOU ARE SMARTER THAN A PhD! But I do have a secret for you. ALL of the above are references are from the Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures) dating 400-1000 BC (Before Jesus was even born). The gospel of Jesus (Messiah) was preached from the Old Testament BEFORE IT WAS EVER WRITTEN DOWN IN THE "NEW"...
    Thanks for the opportunity to share my faith-based "worldview" over and against yours...JesusNotReligion >

August 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • LinCA

@JesusNotReligion

Does the following description sound familiar?
      – Born of a virgin on December 25th in a manger.
      – His birth was announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.
      – Was carried out of Egypt as an infant
      – He had twelve disciples
      – Performed miracles such as feeding bread to the multitude and walking on water.
      – He raised a man from the dead.
      – He was known as the Messiah, God's anointed Son, the Son of Man, the good shepherd, the lamb of God, the Word, the Morning – Star, the light of the world.
      – He was "the Fisher," and was associated with the lamb, lion and fish
      – He was crucified, buried in a tomb and resurrected.

Of course, but I'm sure you knew that already, the above list describes the god Horus. But don't let facts get in the way of your little delusion.

August 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • Jamie

Huh? Are you seriously using the bible as a historical reference? I wil try to quickly explain how evidence-based belief works. Step one: You see the sun rise at 7am. Step 2: others observe the same thing the next day, except a minute later. Step 3: everyone in your region observes the sun rise 1 Minute later everyday. Final step: The sun has a 99.999999% chance of rising one minute later each morning. You see dummy, that is the way we create medicines, technological advancements, and make life on this planet better. And I say we, because most of them are atheists. Aspirin works bett than prayer everyday, but just because it only works 97% of the time for 99% of he population does not mean that prayer is true. Just like all this insane amount of evidence for evolution, the age of the universe, and the non-existence of a god, with a penis no less, has only a 99.999999% of being true, doesn't mean that the .0000001% possible margin of error allows for the existence of anything. We don't believe in god just lie we don't believe in dragons. You need to do wayyyyyy more research before you are allowed the privilege to debate with someone of average intelligence like myself, much less all the historians and scientists that prove your argument...well...nonsensical. Just as a side note, hospitals raise people from he dead everyday all over the world. This sorta makes your savior seem inadequate with his who miracle magic show. And, these medical professionals do it with equipment that was most likely invented and/or perfected by nonbeleivers. What irony!

August 12, 2012 at 12:55 am |
    • JesusNotReligion

Jamie...And you said all of that to say what? That you don't have FAITH when you take an "aspirin" or a prescription filled by someone you don't know? Or that all your statistics simply reduce the "amount" of faith that you need?
      I am really not writing to you as much as I am writing to all those who will read this in response to you because it is obvious you are not of good will...When will you people realize that personal attacks cause readers to disregard your comments. And I am not in this for a "debate"...I gave you "internal evidence" (7 Old Testament Prophecies from the Bible) with an "external" historic Person who fulfilled those Prophecies. I am not a debater nor am I writing anything herein to convince you to have "faith" in Jesus for Salvation...
      The Bible has stood the "test" of time more than any other historic literary work of antiquity. It has 25,000+ manuscripts (copies of the original), the 1st one dated as early as 25-30 AFTER Jesus crucifixion/resurrection. So there is no time for "myth" or "legend" to develop since witnesses were still alive. Compare that number of manuscripts to Homer's "Iliad" (written 900 BC), which has 643 manuscripts – the first copy dated 500 years AFTER the original. Here are some stats for the "stat-man" (woman)...
      40 different writers – written over 1500-1600 years, 3 different languages, written on 3 different continents YET ONE COHESIVE & UNIFIED THEME/PLAN: "Redemption" (Salvation) through the Promised "Messiah", who was to be fully God and Fully man. Btw...I didn't have the time or the space to reference the 300+ other Prophecies like the 7 I quoted in my post...
      I hope you will turn in faith to JesusNotReligion...and I hope there is just one person out there that will be encouraged in the faith by what I have had the opportunity to write in response to you...Thank you for that! (I apologize for any typos – gotta run)

August 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
  10. Thus Spoke a Modest Proposer

When you encounter someone who professes to be an Atheist, take the most personally advantageous action: eat him. Atheists are high in protein and a good source of B vitamins and amino acids. They tend to be greasy, so otherwise watch your intake of fats and cholesterol. Shield your activities in this matter from the attention of the authorities until Atheists are recognized as game animals by the state. Remember, you have nothing to fear except law enforcement as long as you have braised, roasted or broiled the Atheist to an internal temperature of at least 180 degrees.

They are also good in casseroles and fricassees.

Touching briefly on the subject of tenderization: Since Atheists almost always are the product of a somewhat affluent background, they seldom will require long immersion in marinade-– though the rarely encountered elderly Atheist can be among the toughest of meats, rendered fit for eating only by stewing or by incorporation into sausage.

Some within our movement have brought to my attention that since only a small percentage of the US population identifies as Atheist, a domestic shortage will soon ensue. The problem of the importation of foreign stock is a real one, and though logistically challenging, should be met with by the harvest of readily available European animals. Atheists have become common in Europe since the great conflagrations of WW II and the Cold War. The horrors perpetrated by Nietzschean inspired Fascism are not easily forgotten. And the long and grueling Cold War– a necessary defense against the wholly Atheistic social and economic philosophy of Marx and the realized atrocities of Stalin, et al.–has left Europe moribund and stagnate. The irony that so many Europeans have responded to the historical atrocities of Fascism and Communism by embracing Atheism themselves is delicious. I suggest we take advantage of that delicious irony: literally.

Make no mistake. I am an Atheist myself. But I will never reveal this to the world. It serves my interests to call myself a Believer.

Do not bore me with notions of how I should obey my "inner moral sense". My moral sense and empathy are nothing more than a genetic imprints, primitive survival advantages I have outgrown–much as I have outgrown the need for God. I can discard them both easily. They are worthless to me. After all, God Is Dead and the only good is what is good for me. I am the Superman. I am Beyond Good and Evil.

August 11, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  11. samstubbs

You know it's kind of interesting. The extremely vocal skeptics keep railing on faith and religion. But this whole article shows a bunch of people who are none the worse for their religion.

Clearly these Olympic athletes aren't feeling "shackled down" by their faith, quite the opposite in fact. So, why do you even care?

August 11, 2012 at 8:32 am |
    • pockets

Her's the thing. I do not care. "Prayer to the supernatural" is nonsense. Religion is a mental illness.Where was this god when the Nazi's were throwing his 'chosen' people in ovens? Where was this god when the Nazi slaughter 10 million Russians. Where? Oh I see up in "heaven" watching the killings. Religion Poisons Everything. Its a cancer on the planet.

August 11, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • NorrisT

The Nazis created their own "religion" based on the philosophy ot Nietzsche. The "fuhrer" was the Nietzschean "superman". You failed to mention the purges of Stalin in Russia and Mao in China. Atheists both. Current countries controlled by Atheistic political dogma: China, Cuba, North Korea. I would have also mentioned Venezuela, but of course long time Atheist and Marxist Chavez has suddenly started believing in god–after he was diagnosed with cancer.

August 11, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • JesusNotReligion

Pockets...What do you offer? Tell us "mentally ill" people out here WHO you are, WHERE did you come from, WHY are you here?, and WHERE you are going when you die? (And why do we all die for that matter – regardless of being moral or immoral, spiritual or atheistic?)... And please don't give us any of your ad hominem or sarcastic remarks. Answer the questions as intelligently as you can. It's easy to set up your own straw-man argument so you can then make yourself look good by knocking it down. You really have nothing to offer. One day of your life is unfortunately blurring into the next until you will be just as dead as all those who have gone before you shaking their fists at God while "believing" He doesn't exist. Btw...Know ahead of time that any answer you do give to the above questions will be "faith-based" My word and hope for you is JesusNotReligion...Believe in HIM or continue to believe in YOURSELF - both require FAITH!

August 11, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  12. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes otherwise rational adults into believing in imaginery friends like children do.

August 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • niknak

I thought you were the fundie who keeps believing in prayer.
      Or has your screen name been jacked?
      If so good, cause prayer changes nothing, except what you said about otherwise rational adults to believe in fairy tales.

August 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

I believe in the power of prayer to change otherwise rational adults into believing in imaginary friends.
      What else can do that? Can you think of anything else that can make rational people so irrational?
      Prayer is a powerful force indeed.

August 10, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
    • Prayer changes things

Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things. Proof provided by name thief. When you see a Truth like atheism is not healthy for children and other living things over a lie, it is obvious to all but the most gullible that the name has been stolen.

August 11, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
  13. IslandAtheist

If God is picking the winners, what's the point?

August 10, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • WASP

@island: lmfao he's not picking the winners, he knows whom will win and betting on them. lmfao

August 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  14. Reality

ONLY FOR THE NEW VIEWERS OF THIS BLOG:

Time for truth in Twittering:

The Apostles' Creed 2012 (updated by yours truly based on the studies of NT historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven?????

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
    ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (References used are available upon request.)

August 10, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • 2357

If Jesus was a mere man and not God in human form, not only is the Bible the single greatest deception in the history of the universe, but every professing Christian is supporting a criminal organization of the most destructive kind. It's not a mere delusion of the intellectual kind. It's about concrete influence in the practical course of humanity. No civic law on the planet should tolerate Christians if Jesus is a fabrication. You know the cosmically outrageous things he said: "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends" "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you," Lies Lies Lies! It is imperative that these lie believers be wiped off the face of the earth.

If you truly believe that Jesus was just some mamzer guy whose mouth was posthumously stuffed with godlike claims of greedy churchmen, you just can't be passive about the current existence of Christians, because they SPREAD. Please pursue your reasoning to its purest logical end, assault, imprison and exterminate all Christians you can find, before they pollute one more mind with their fantasy about God, love, forgiveness and heaven. You've seen by now that dissuasion is futile, and the simplest logic is hopelessly beyond their grasp. It should be evident to any sensible citizen of the world that there is no other recourse. Just do what ever it takes, to put each and every one of them out their misery. ASAP. Today. ok?

August 10, 2012 at 1:25 am |
    • Reality

READ AND LEARN:-–>

AND THE INFAMOUS ANGELIC (RELIGION) CONS CONTINUE TO WREAK STUPIDITY UPON THE WORLD

Jesus and his family had/has warmongering Michael, gay Gabriel, and Satan, the latter being a modern day demon of the demented. (As does BO and his family)

Joe Smith had his Moroni. (As does M. Romney)

"Latter-day Saints like M. Romney also believe that Michael the Archangel was Adam (the first man) when he was mortal, and Gabriel lived on the earth as Noah."

Jehovah Witnesses have their Jesus /Michael the archangel, the first angelic being created by God;

Mohammed had his Gabriel (this "tin-kerbell" got around).

Jesus and his family had/has Michael, Gabriel, and Satan, the latter being a modern day demon of the demented. (As does BO and his family)

The Abraham-Moses myths had their Angel of Death and other "no-namers" to do their dirty work or other assorted duties.

Contemporary biblical and religious scholars have relegated these "pretty wingie/horn-blowing thingies" to the myth pile. We should do the same to include deleting all references to them in our religious operating manuals. Doing this will eliminate the prophet/profit/prophecy status of these founders and put them where they belong as simple humans just like the rest of us.

August 10, 2012 at 8:00 am |
    • Reality

Only for those interested in an update:

1. origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482

“New Torah For Modern Minds

Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions – the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years – have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity – until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine docu-ment. “
      prob•a•bly
      Adverb: Almost certainly; as far as one knows or can tell.

2. Jesus was an illiterate Jewish peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations (or “mythicizing” from P, M, M, L and J) and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a ma-mzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus). An-alyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Ludemann, Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen, ) via the NT and related doc-uments have concluded that only about 30% of Jesus' sayings and ways noted in the NT were authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan sects.

The 30% of the NT that is "authentic Jesus" like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus' case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hitt-ites, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.

earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

For added "pizzazz", Catholic theologians divided god the singularity into three persons and invented atonement as an added guilt trip for the "pew people" to go along with this trinity of overseers. By doing so, they made god the padre into god the "filicider".

Current RCC problems:

Pedophiliac priests, an all-male, mostly white hierarchy, atonement theology and original sin!!!!

2 b., Luther, Calvin, Joe Smith, Henry VIII, Wesley, Roger Williams, the Great “Babs” et al, founders of Christian-based religions or combination religions also suffered from the belief in/hallucinations of "pretty wingie thingie" visits and "prophecies" for profits analogous to the myths of Catholicism (resurrections, apparitions, ascensions and immacu-late co-nceptions).

Current problems:
      Adulterous preachers, pedophiliac clerics, "propheteering/ profiteering" evangelicals and atonement theology,

3. Mohammed was an illiterate, womanizing, lust and greed-driven, warmongering, hallucinating Arab, who also had embellishing/hallucinating/plagiarizing scribal biographers who not only added "angels" and flying chariots to the koran but also a militaristic agenda to support the plundering and looting of the lands of non-believers.

This agenda continues as shown by the ma-ssacre in Mumbai, the as-sas-sinations of Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh, the conduct of the seven Muslim doctors in the UK, the 9/11 terrorists, the 24/7 Sunni suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the 24/7 Shiite suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the Islamic bombers of the trains in the UK and Spain, the Bali crazies, the Kenya crazies, the Pakistani “koranics”, the Palestine suicide bombers/rocketeers, the Lebanese nutcases, the Taliban nut jobs, the Ft. Hood follower of the koran, and the Filipino “koranics”.

And who funds this muck and stench of terror? The warmongering, Islamic, Shiite terror and torture theocracy of Iran aka the Third Axis of Evil and also the Sunni "Wannabees" of Saudi Arabia.

Current crises:

The Sunni-Shiite blood feud and the warmongering, womanizing (11 wives), hallucinating founder.

4. Hinduism (from an online Hindu site) – "Hinduism cannot be described as an organized religion. It is not founded by any individual. Hinduism is God centered and therefore one can call Hinduism as founded by God, because the answer to the question ‘Who is behind the eternal principles and who makes them work?’ will have to be ‘Cosmic power, Divine power, God’."

The caste/laborer system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence are problems when saying a fair and rational God founded Hinduism."

Current problems:

The caste system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence.

5. Buddhism- "Buddhism began in India about 500 years before the birth of Christ. The people living at that time had become disillusioned with certain beliefs of Hinduism including the caste system, which had grown extremely complex. The number of outcasts (those who did not belong to any particular caste) was continuing to grow."

"However, in Buddhism, like so many other religions, fanciful stories arose concerning events in the life of the founder, Siddhartha Gautama (fifth century B.C.):"

Archaeological discoveries have proved, beyond a doubt, his historical character, but apart from the legends we know very little about the circu-mstances of his life. e.g. Buddha by one legend was supposedly talking when he came out of his mother's womb.

Bottom line: There are many good ways of living but be aware of the hallucinations, embellishments, lies, and myths surrounding the founders and foundations of said rules of life.

Then, apply the Five F rule: "First Find the Flaws, then Fix the Foundations". And finally there will be religious peace and religious awareness in the world!!!!!

August 10, 2012 at 8:05 am |
    • Kevin

The gentleman below me makes an excellent point. I really enjoyed reading his ideas on this. He stated, in part, that "If Jesus was a mere man and not God in human form......the Bible the single greatest deception in the history of the universe.' The problem is that the entire argument is based on this idea. There are and have been many Bible-readers out there – Thomas Jefferson to name one – who do not read Jesus' divinity into the scripture. Anyone who knows anything about the history of the Bible knows that the early Christian texts that did not claim Jesus to be divine were excluded from the collection that later came to be known as the Bible. There are thousands of versions of "The Bible" and they do not all say the same thing. I do not believe that Jesus lied, but there are not tape recordings nor direct translations of what he actually said. The books about him were, at best, written decades later, and in some cases centuries later, often with political leanings. The question of Jesus' divinity has historically always been up for debate. We are asked to choose between one of the following scenarios: During this one time in history, every natural law ever created was broken (or) some human hundreds of years later got it wrong, either in the original writing, during the translation, or during the selection of the books that ultimately made it into the Bible. I don't believe that Jesus was a liar because I don't believe he ever said what some people claim he said. God, or whomever, also gave us a brain with the ability to reason and use common sense. To not use our power of reasoning is the biggest travesty.

August 11, 2012 at 11:00 am |
  15. 2357

God bless athletes and contenders
    God bless nationhood and humanity
    God bless sport and game
    God bless persistence and toil
    God bless strength and courage
    God bless confidence and honor
    God bless smiles and laughter
    God bless the many faces and diverse bodies
    God bless many languages and exotic foods
    God bless inquiry and understanding
    God bless love and kindness
    God bless friends and lovers
    God bless mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters
    God bless the babies and grandparents
    God bless gentleness, hope and peace
    God bless life in the universe
    God bless the new heaven and earth eternal
    God bless Yeshua the Christ, for in Him was life!
    And God bless the atheists for being so truthful about their feelings.

August 9, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • Tess

Thank you, 2357, for your blessings on all, even those who do not appreciate it. They say there is no God. They'd better be right!

August 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • niknak

If all this stuff was preordained by your magic man in the sky, then why would it have to still be "blessed?"
      Shouldn't it have been "blessed" from the very start?
      And what about when bad things happen? Like the shooting in Co recently? Wasn't that also preordained by your magic man and therefore already "blessed?"
      Or does it work differently for bad things? When people do bad things then is that somehow going against the preordained stuff?
      Is your magic man not powerful enough to stop the bad things?
      Or powerless to stop childhood cancer or other horrible birth defects?
      Or could it be you have just invented something that does not really exist?

August 10, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
    • niknak

Tess, whey would you thank 2357 for his blessings?
      How can a mortal man bless anything? Isn't that the realm of your magic man in the sky?
      Don't you think your magic man might be upset at you for giving another person the power to bless when it is the magic dudes power?
      You best do some repenpin' or you won't get to have any ice cream when you get to heaven.

August 10, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  16. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

August 9, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • kindless

Actually, atheism is wonderful for children and all people!

Atheists have strong minds and are good at helping weak-minded people work through their struggles with other people or the imaginary forces or obstacles that men have made up. Atheists encourage people to take responsibility for their actions within society instead of having their misdeeds excused and often hidden within their religion (comforting their weak minds, but simultaneously disserving society).

Break the matrix of deception by all religions.

If the thought leaving your imaginary friends behind is just too much, or makes you want to go p00py, then try Atheism Lite™ (agnosticism) for a period of time to ease your way into a much more rewarding, peaceful life.

It is written.

heavenSnot

August 10, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • Jesus

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs! , .

August 10, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • TR6

If prayer is so powerful why does the pope need a built proof pope-mobile? Doesn’t seem to have much confidence in f prayer or god

August 10, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

August 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  17. Oil of Man

My name is Boffer Bings. The Death of God has been met with sadness by some. It kindles in me the spirit of opportunity. God and the associated baggage of his “moral order” were impediments to progress. Nowhere is this more evident than in the sphere of commerce. Some years ago, I developed a most useful medicine. Taken internally it is a cure for disorders of all kinds and acts as a general tonic. Applied topically, it is a remedy for gout and psoriasis and posses an SPF of 15. The precise recipe is, of course, a trade secret and is protected under US Patent. While God lived, the oppressive machinery of society stood in the way of the production and release of my curative. The Death of God, I hope, will occasion its availability on the free market.

I speak of Oil of Man.

Oil of Man really is one of the most useful medicines ever discovered. Its availability has been somewhat limited by the natural reticence of society to make the ultimate sacrifice for the afflicted. During research and development for Oil of Man, I was, in fact, forced to requisition unwilling donations of certain vital ingredients for my vats. The destruction of the logically inconsistent but simple moral system of the theists will, I hope, increase availability of the necessary raw material. I tire of having to spirit shrouded “donors” through the rear door of my oilery. A godless society is perfect for the production of Oil of Man. The attempts of the Godless to construct a logically consistent system of ethics sans theos are a failure and are easily discarded by the pragmatic and enterprising among us. Empathy is nothing more than an vestige of genetics. Some free thinking rural physicians in my area have been utilizing my tonic for years now-sending patients to me (the only dispensing pharmacy) with a prescription they are pleased to designate as __OL. Hom.__

Thank heavens for the progress of free thought. The elimination of society’s detritus (unwanted children, the elderly, the poor, opposing political parties, etc.) and their incorporation into Oil of Man will be of great general weal to humankind as it hurdles into a future free of outmoded concepts like good and evil.

August 9, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
  18. Bill Maher Nails It

August 9, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

Maher does nail it. But he does not invalidate belief. He just indicts "Christians" who really are not Christians at all.

August 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
    • Really-O?

@LLR in Manitoba –

Wow! Textbook "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

August 9, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • just sayin

True Christans love thy enemy, and stone to death adulterers, disobedient children and anyone who worships other gods as they are commanded to do.

August 9, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

I am not a Christian and was actually not defending "Christianity". The no true Scotsman argument fails in this case.

August 9, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

@just sayin.

I am not a Christian, but I have some familiarity with the Bible. You are obviously ignorant of its teachings.

August 9, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • Really-O?

@LLR in Manitoba –

Sorry, but that is at textbook "No True Scotsman" fallacy. If you can't see it, that's your problem.

August 9, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
    • just sayin

@LLR, how am I ignorant? Through the Bible we know to love they neighbors and enemies and also to murder adulterers, disobedient children and anyone who worships other gods, as we are commanded to do.

August 9, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

No it is not. There is a huge epistemological difference between thel terms "Christian" and "Scotstman"

August 9, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • Cindy

just sayin, adulterers, disobedient children are atheists. You fools are so blind, it's would be laughable if it weren't evil.

August 9, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

@just sayin:

You continue to show your ignorance of what the Bible says. I tell you what, just copy and paste the verses that say what you claim. With the magic of google it should be very easy.

August 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • Really-O?

@LLR in Manitoba –

No, it is a "No True Scotsman" and your 'There is a huge epistemological difference between thel terms "Christian" and "Scotstman"' post simply exposes your ignorance and foolishness. Do you even know what epistemological means? Quit before you bury yourself.

August 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
    • Really-O?

I'm starting to think "LLR in Manitoba" is another Chad in the making. I think the forum should nip-this-in-the-bud and simply ignore "LLR in Manitoba". We certainly don't need another Chad mucking-up the works!

August 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

Basically, it is the study of the validity of knowledge.

August 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • Really-O?

@LLR in Manitoba –

And how, exactly, is your use of the word correct? And, how, if you understand what a No True Scotsman fallacy is, does your "There is a huge epistemological difference between thel terms "Christian" and "Scotstman" make any sense at all? Seriously, you're making a fool of yourself.

August 9, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@LLR in Manitoba

Hi -LLR...

In response to your comment to @Really-O?:

Actually, your comment is a version of the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. Some Christians quite often use this argument as a 'Red Herring' to side-step when a Christian acts or behaves in ways that Christians aren't apparently supposed to act. Other groups, besides Christians do this as well.

Real Christians don't ever do (x). Therefore, since this person did (x), then... that = or means they can't be a "True Christian."

However... I'm open to learning something new. If you have direct refutation to the contrary, I'd love to see it.

Regards,

Peace...

August 9, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • Really-O?

@LLR in Manitoba –

At least show some common sense and walk away from this one. Continuing the fight just makes you look ignorant and silly. Live to fight another day.

August 9, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

Maher is only pointing out the hypocrisy of people certain people who identify with the historical religion called Christianity. I simply pointed out that this is not an indictment of all believers. His comments about Ghandi were wonderful: "he was so f.ucking Christian, he was Hindu."

August 9, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The people bit@hing about Maher ought to grow a sense of humor. He's a comedian. There is plenty of truth in what he says. The fact that you Christians are so offended by it says more about you than about him.

August 9, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

I love Maher. I think he is very smart and very funny.

August 9, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@Tom, Tom

Love me some Bill Maher LOL ! 😀

Peace...

August 9, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Agree. That the conservative Christians get their hair in a braid about his act is telling. Stereotypes always have a kernel of truth. And it just gripes their azzes.

August 9, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@LLR in Manitoba

Your original post: " He just indicts "Christians" who really are not Christians at all. "

I still don't see any refutation, that your comment, as pointed out by @Really-O?, is somehow 'not' a version of the "No True Scotsman Fallacy."

Peace...

August 9, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

Christianity is not an objective quality. It is a process.

August 9, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@LLR in Manitoba

Hi -LLR...

Last post you said: " Christianity is not an objective quality. It is a process. "

O.K... at first 'you' nominalized and used the word..."Christian." You have now changed it to "Christianity"

You now have *euphemism drift* going in terms of your argument.

Once again, the equation is this: "No 'true' (fill in blank) would say/do (x). Since, (fill in blank) did/does (x) they 'can't' be a 'true' (fill in blank).

Utilizing 'euphemism drift' on your part from "Christians" in your initial argument to "Christianity...and it's a "process" now, doesn't refute your original post.

If you want to discuss "Christianity as a 'process' that's fine" but that is a different conversation.

Regards,

Peace...

August 9, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • Cq

LLR in Manitoba
      What do you mean by Christianity being a process? From what I understand no Christian is immune to sinning, or causing harm. If that's true then why disown Christians who happen to be caught behaving badly? Isn't it expected that "backsliding" happens, and that merely muttering the "saved" formula of accepting Jesus doesn't magically make one a perfect human being? It's something to work at, right? Just like we all have to work at being better people, even we atheists. It's a universal desire.

August 10, 2012 at 1:06 am |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

Christians speak with forked tongues. They always have. This attribute started with the earliest Christian church and has been there ever since. The writings in the NT of often contradictory to the words and ideals of Jesus, so it is no surprise that Christians would not be "fork-tongued". They love with Jesus, and they wage war and disenfranchise others with all the other characters. Very simple to see really. But when this nasty attribute is made too obvious, that's when you start hearing the phrase "that Christian is not a real Christian". The BS is so obvious and so sickening.

August 10, 2012 at 10:06 am |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

I wrote: "of often contradictory"

This should be: "are often contradictory"

August 10, 2012 at 10:09 am |
  19. art

Atheism is a Religion that deplores other people's Religious Beliefs. Congratulations Atheists! Very Rational Indeed!

August 9, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • John

You should watch this video. You will learn many things.

August 9, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • John

I will embed it for you so you do not have to copy and paste:

August 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • LLR in Manitoba

Not all Athesits are religious. Some are. The "superhuman crontrolling power" for them, are simply the laws on nature

August 9, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • Cq

art
      Atheism, as well as not being a "religion" (because belief in the supernatural is necessary for an opinion to be called "religious"), only deplores those beliefs that really do cause harm. When the Taliban's treatment of women was first shown many Christians dropped their usual call for tolerance of belief to speak out against it and, in the same spirit of that, we atheists speak out against the Christian treatment of gays, science and some other things we find abusive. When one sees abusive behavior isn't it rational to speak out against it?

August 10, 2012 at 12:47 am |
    • WASP

@cq: bravo very well said indeed.

August 10, 2012 at 9:14 am |
  20. WorkInProgress

Like moths to a flame, atheists cannot help but come to an article regarding Christianity and ridicule and mock others for their beliefs. It is ironic that self-proclaimed enlightened thinkers feel their insults resemble intelligence.

August 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Kafir

Nothing wrong with mocking beliefs that merit the mocking they receive. After all, beliefs are not people, so they don't have feelings.

August 9, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • just sayin

@WorkInProgress, do you have any unjustified claims to share?

August 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • TR6

“It is ironic that self-proclaimed enlightened thinkers feel their insults resemble intelligence.”

It is unfortunate that self-proclaimed anointed of god feel their dogma resembles wisdom

August 9, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • BillyJ

And in articles about atheism many Christians also feel obliged to remind us that we're condemned to hell for not believing. Two differing views of the world expressing themselves, that's all that's going on here, wouldn't you say?

August 10, 2012 at 12:51 am |
    • Cq

Kafir
      The problem is that they consider God to actually be a real being and not just an idea. A powerful being with feelings that can get bruised, and a temper that can get them hurt in the collateral damage caused by his wrath, see?

August 10, 2012 at 12:58 am |