home
RSS
Christian college student's idea leads to rally for burned mosque
Surveying the destroyed Joplin mosque.
August 8th, 2012

Christian college student's idea leads to rally for burned mosque

By Josh Levs, CNN

(CNN) - When 20-year-old Ashley Carter heard about a mosque burned to the ground in her town this week, she was shocked.

"I was very saddened," she told CNN on Wednesday. "I thought it was very evil."

So Carter, a student at Ozark Christian College in Joplin, Missouri, texted a friend, suggesting they organize an event "promoting acts of love."

But quickly, the idea changed: They would organize a "rally of people coming together, from all walks of life, all religions, a really diverse group of people trying to promote this radical love."

She called Kimberly Kester, spokeswoman for the Islamic Society of Joplin, whose worship house serving about 50 families in the southwest Missouri city burned down Monday. Investigators have not determined the cause, but the mosque has been attacked in the past.

My Faith: After my mosque was torched

Kester supported the idea. So Carter and some of her friends created the plan for the rally and announced it on a Facebook page. The next day, Tuesday, word began to spread. By Wednesday morning, more than 400 people had posted that they would attend the event, scheduled for Saturday, August 25.

Carter said she was inspired by "my love for Jesus. And I know that Jesus calls us to love people."

"With everything that's been happening in the news this week" - which includes a shooting Sunday at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin that left six worshipers and the gunman dead - "I was pretty discouraged," Carter said. "Regardless of what you believe, I think everybody's entitled to loving whoever."

Kester told CNN she and other members of the mosque plan to attend the rally.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

The response to the burning from people throughout the community has been "outstanding," she said. "There were representatives from different churches, different organizations at the site that afternoon speaking to the Imam. People have been calling anyone that they know that has been involved with the mosque, offering to help."

St. Philip's Episcopal Church in Joplin is hosting an iftar - a meal eaten by Muslims after dark during Ramadan - on Wednesday evening. The Council on American-Islamic Relations announced that speakers will include members of the interfaith community. Sponsoring groups include the South Joplin Christian Church, the United Hebrew Congregation, the First Community Church and Peace Lutheran Church, CAIR said.

Representatives of various Islamic groups will attend, Kester said. They will discuss the future and what provisions are needed to continue Sunday school and prayers.

The mosque is holding daily prayers at someone's house now, and expects to rent a new place as soon as this week, although numerous religious institutions have offered their facilities, Kester said.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

"We're hoping for security and that type of support from our community," she added.

Members say this is an opportunity to kind of start over and improve on things that we've always wanted to improve upon, like our security system or Sunday school facilities," she said. "It's a time for us to unite and focus on supporting each other. And yes, it's a tragedy ... but we want to focus on coming together and building a stronger community."

No final decision has been made on whether the mosque will move to a new location, but there is a consensus to move inside the city limits, Kester said. "We feel that the response time for fire employees would be less if were in the city limits and it would offer us a little bit more protection and security."

No definite plans will be made before an investigation is completed into the burning, said the mosque's treasurer, Navid Zaidi. "We need to get this crime solved, before we do anything."

He said he hopes the rally is safe and that authorities keep everyone protected. Assuming the fire was arson, the perpetrator "is out there - he is loose," Zaidi said.

Zaidi described the support coming from the community as "tremendous."

A fundraising effort to help rebuild the mosque is off to an auspicious start.

The website of the official campaign shows a goal of $250,000, with more than $40,000 pledged by Wednesday afternoon.

A video for the campaign refers to the mosque as "our refuge in a crazy and hectic world." It shows what the mosque looked like, followed by images of the charred wreckage.

Arsalan Iftikhar, an international human rights lawyer and founder of TheMuslimGuy.com, tweeted that he will donate a dollar for every retweet of his message. He quickly got hundreds of retweets.

Iftikhar is a frequent contributor to CNN.com.

Carter says she expects donations to be taken at the rally. And anyone who wants to donate money to cover the costs of staging the rally can through the Facebook page.

Different kinds of bands will play, including religious bands, she said. And speakers will talk about "promoting love."

"When there's an act of hate, you have a choice to make it something beautiful. So that's what this is all about: making things beautiful from things that aren't."

–CNN's Anna-Lysa Gayle contributed to this report.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Islam • Missouri

soundoff (1,091 Responses)
  1. Keith

I don't think Elijah would have raised $$ to re-build anything dedicated to Baal or Ashteroh. This young girl is very naive. If she was a true Christian, she'd point these muslims to the ONLY Savior, Jesus Christ. Don't lie to them. Don't sugar coat it. This ecu.menicalism is a bunch of bull.

August 9, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • Wheeler

This act of kindness moves me to return to my local Christian church. This act of kindness reminds me of the love Christ showed all of us through his sacrifice. It saddens me that you use this opportunity to call this girl naive and foolish when she sought to express Christ's message through a first act of charity and love. I will pray this Sunday for you Keith.

August 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • J.W

Keith will go to hell if he does not straighten up his act.

August 9, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Meanwhile, he makes it hell for everyone he meets here on earth.

August 9, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

LMAO at Tom Tom. You got that right!

August 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
    • VoiceOf Truth

I understand where you're coming from, and your zeal for the Lord is good. But in this particular case, this girl's act of kindness and love would be more effective in spreading the Gospel than directly telling them to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Recall how Jesus approached the woman at the water well. He didn't come out and say, "I am your master, so bow down and worship me." He simply asked her for water and engaged her in conversation about her live in boyfriend and her past relationships. It was this extraordinary act that convinced her to believe. Also, in the Old Testament, God gave credit to a certain heathen group that were zealous in their faith to their god. The Lord said He wished the Israelites had faith as string as theirs. I say this not in a spirit of disagreement, but to say there's more than one way to approach people of other faiths besides directly telling them to serve the Lord. The "doing" is usually much more effective than the "saying."

August 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

VoiceOf Truth wrote: "and your zeal for the Lord is good". No it is not good. This is the problem with much of Christianity is that their "zeal" amongst the often contradictory tenets of the NT are used in such hateful ways. It is worse than lemon zest that has gone bad.

August 9, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • Keith

Wheeler, Is that right? Well, I simply don't believe you. What kind of person are you that reacts to emotional whims? I think you're a troll.

August 9, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Laughing at Keef. Pot, meet kettle.

August 9, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Keith

slap some sense ,
      Yes, many of laugh AT tom, tom.
      But seriously, you people have no clue what the future has for you if you reject Christ as Savior.

August 9, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Keith

VoiceOf Truth,
      Rick Warren may put koran in the pew with the Bible, but I will not. At some point, even dirtbags like Warren(if they truly are Christian) have to man up an tell these people the Truth.
      Jhn 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

August 9, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Sikhs are not Muslims Keith but we wouldn't expect children to comprehend that. Now be a good child and go play.

August 9, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • Keith

Liarprevails, Look dumba$$, this article is about a burned out mosque-not a sikh temple.

August 9, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • Keith

Go back to Canada you commie qu.eer.

August 9, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

KEEF! says, "I don't think Elijah would..."

You think you're qualified to speak for Elijah, now?

Wow. What an ego. Does pipe-fitting qualify you to speak for prophets?

August 9, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Go back to Canada, you commie qu eer."

Gosh, KEEF! Were you raised to be an azzhole or is it a natural talent?

August 9, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Keith: a) my mistake for mis-reading...maybe if your country got it together and you religitards would stop fighting over who has the bigger imaginary friend it wouldn't be so hard to keep things separate
      b) kind of hard to go back to my country when I never left it you child. Jealous that we have it together and you don't??? Your hate is pathetic. Canada is the USA's biggest ally and closest exporter/importer. So don't sit there and pretend like Canada doesn't matter to the USA, we have mutual interests. As a matter of fact Mrs Clinton has been called in to our wonderful country to deal with a coastal issue happening about 5 hours from where I'm at.

August 9, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
  2. Citizen

The gullibility and naivete of some people never ceases to amaze.

August 9, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  3. bxgrrl

Maybe this country can be turned around after all, and healed from the damage done by the rabid right wing haters.

August 9, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • Keith

Telling these people that there is more than one way to God is hate. Jesus Christ is the ONLY WAY to God and eternal life. To tell them anything else is what real hate is.

August 9, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

Uh oh, someone done woke up Carrie's grandpappy! (Keith)

August 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, he's a real piece of work. And ever since he first heard the phrase "kool-aid drinker", he's been using it every chance he gets.

He's a bit behind.

August 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • Keith

Tom, tom(the stalker), Kool-aid chugger in your case. If Anderson Cooper told you the world was flat-you'd believe him. You've received a lethal dose of "no brains" somewhere along the line.

August 9, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ooops. Amendment to my post. He's a BIG BEHIND.

August 9, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Oh c'mon Tom Tom...don't you know by now that Keith is the authority on his imaginary friend? He has insider info that only his one-celled brain can have...after all every child knows their imaginary friend like no other person can.

August 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
  4. paperjihad

Reblogged this on Paper Jihad.

August 9, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  5. Honey Badger Dont Care

Burn down all places of worship or tax them all. Easy solution.

August 9, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • JoePub

...Including Atheist organizations.

August 9, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

JoePub: Care to point us to an Atheist organization? Unlike churches, we are taxed!

August 9, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  6. Joplin resident

Just wondering if they had insurance...

August 9, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
    • paperjihad

It's a small community, so I'm sure they were operating on a shoestring budget. If they did, it was probably under insured.

August 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • Jack

Willing to bet they did but I hope they didn't and don't rebuild.

August 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • Joplin resident

I know of several churches in the area that have 50 or less members and they are fully insured. $250,000 to rebuild?

August 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
  7. dude

I'm an atheist, but I contributed to this rebuilding because I believe in religious freedom. I also hate racist Christian thugs who think they own this country.

August 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Chad

explain "think they own this country"

August 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
    • Seriously

An explanation for "think they own this country""

Consider these quotes, and how you might feel if you lived in a country where these sentiments were mainstream:

“Our leader was not elected…he was appointed by Allah.”
      “Those who refuse to submit publicly to the eternal sanctions of Allah…must be denied citizenship."
      “I, your Provincial Governor, do hereby proclaim… a day of prayer and fasting for our country.”
      “Allah called me to this government position…my family fasted for three days to make sure it was true.”
      “"I would not put a Christian among my advisors, or in my government."
      “(our founding doc.uments) are quite clear that we would create law based on Allah of the Qur’an and Sharia Law, it’s pretty simple.”
      “I hope I will live to see the day when…we won't have any public schools. The Mosques will have taken over them over again and Imams will be running them. What a happy day that will be!"
      “There will never be world peace until Allah's house and Allah's people are given their rightful place of leadership at the top of the world."

These statements should rightfully alarm you. Now consider this, YOU DO live in that country, and these are not Taliban quotes. In the above quotes the religious references have been changed. They are quotes from prominent, politically powerful Americans who would establish religious control over America’s government. Here are the actual quotes:

“George Bush was not elected by a majority of the voters in the United States, he was appointed by God.” –Lt. General William Boykin, US Army
      “Those who refuse to submit publicly to the eternal sanctions of God by submitting to His Church's public marks of the covenant–baptism and holy communion–must be denied citizenship." –Gary North, Inst.itute for Christian Economics
      “I, Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim August 6, 2011, to be A Day of Prayer and Fasting for Our Nation.” –Rick Perry, Texas Governor and Republican Presidential Candidate
      “God called me to run for this office, and my husband fasted for 3 days to make sure it was true.” –Michelle Bachman, US Senator and Republican Presidential Candidate
      “"I would not put a Muslim in my cabinet, or in my administration." –Herman Cain, Republican Presidential Candidate
      “(Our founding doc.uments) are quite clear that we would create law based on the God of the Bible and the 10 commandments, it’s pretty simple.” –Sarah Palin
      I hope I will live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken over them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!" - Jerry Falwell
      There will never be world peace until God's house and God's people are given their rightful place of leadership at the top of the world." –Pat Robertson

These statements should be no more frightening in an Islamic or a Christian context – this kind of rhetoric is a serious threat no matter who it comes from. Theocracy is dangerous no matter whose God is invoked. We hear these things from pious politicians every day and are likely desensitized to them, but even momentary consideration reveals them to be un-American to the core. Religious fundamentalists make no secret of their goal of controlling our government and establishing their narrow beliefs as law. We must not let that happen – not here, not in our country.

It happens in small steps – the Ten Commandments in courthouses, prayer and creationism (“Intelligent Design”) in schools, revising science, history, and civics textbooks in Texas, State-endorsed prayer rallies, faith-based initiatives, and on and on – and because these steps may individually seem harmless, many people underestimate their consequences. That is why we must stay alert and fight to keep church and state separate. We should shudder whenever a politician or policymaker alludes to his or her religious beliefs as a justification for public policy. We should be deeply suspi.cious of anyone who claims to be chosen by God to lead us. We should aggressively defend our free society against any religious group who would hope to gain control over it.

Do not underestimate the importance of defending the separation of church and state. Stand up for it at every opportunity with your voice and your vote.

August 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • Huh?

"President Bush said to all of us: 'I am driven with a mission from God'. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

Mr Bush went on: "And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East'. And, by God, I'm gonna do it."

August 9, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • Paul

"George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did.""

The irony to it all was he lied about it.

August 9, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

I've been around since before Nixon, and George W. Bush was the worst, the most most unqualified, and the most dangerous President in recent US history. He is an embarrassing stain on our country.

August 9, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • sam stone

chad: christians seem to want to use their faith to deny others's their civil rights

August 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Aside from exercising their right to vote, how have they done that sam?

August 9, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Bill Deacon,

in this context the premise is that self-professed Christians burned down the mosque – affecting their right to exercise religious freedom.

Certainly that is getting ahead of due process. We don't know that it was arson and we don't know that it was done by self-professed Christians, but it's a plausible hypothesis.

August 9, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

great post, Seriously. You would think if someone stayed even half awake in high school government class, they would get the importance of that simple concept, but obviously education is a big part of the problem.

August 9, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • VoiceOf Truth

@Seriously: "Theocracy is dangerous no matter whose God is invoked. "

Nah, it's not the fact that a country has theocratic leanings that's the problem. It's when government, regardless of its form, tries to mandate that all citizens practice a certain religion under penalty of prosecution that's the problem. You can have a theocracy without criminal penalties for opting out.

August 9, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

WAIT A MINUTE! I didn't think the arsonist had been identified. Are we assuming a little something here?

August 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

So it's safe to assume that Christians want to deny others their civil rights because it's plausible that someone, however tangentially connected to some form of religion somewhere might have burned this mosque? I don't think I can even begin to address the ignorant bigotry, guilt by association and violation of due process this thinking involves.

August 9, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Well, then, why don't address the ignorant bigotry with which you responded to my post regarding the Crusades, Billy?

August 9, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Bill Deacon,

Is it arson? we don't know. Given that the mailbox was destroyed, then the sign was shot up, then burned then there was an attempted arson on July 4, then the mosque burned down, there's reason to suspect so.

So who's the likely candidate? A rival Muslim sect? Ummm, no.
      Wiring problem? Maybe, but in the wee hours of the morning? With the history here? Unlikely.
      Stupid children? Maybe – but only because their hate-filled parents filled their heads with fear.
      Some dumb redneck Christian in an act of hate and fear of the 'different'? More than likely.

No one's been arrested or charged. I don't think due process is hindered by internet speculation.

What's your more plausible hypothesis?

August 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

Bill Deacon wrote: "So it's safe to assume that Christians want to deny others their civil rights . . ."

That's actually as far as you have to go. Since the beginning of this country Christian want to deny other their civil rights. Period. You actually can just stop there and change "plausible" to "probable" because that's the problem. The founders knew it would be a problem and they tried their best to protect us from that problem, but it will always be a problem.

Now back to your beef – don't be so presumptuous. Maybe "dude" would want to contribute regardless of the who committed the crime just based on his own feelings towards the victims in this case and maybe even some of the ugly reaction he is reading.

August 9, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV: Is there another plausible answer other than arson? I agree that it is yet to be determined but the mere speculation naturally exists. All I can honestly say is if it was arson, it was probably not an Atheist that did it...we don't tend to go attacking like that. 🙂

August 9, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Still waiting for Billy the Christian to own up to his error. Not holding my breath, however. I'll bet he won't be able to admit he was wrong in his assumptions.

August 9, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@TruthPrevails,

Bill D seems to think we're bigots for suggesting that this was likely a crime of arson, commited by rednecked Christian bullies.

August 9, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You're presuming Bill D. thinks.

August 9, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Yes, I think people are bigots who presume a set of people whom they disagree with are criminal just because of their beliefs and without evidence.

August 10, 2012 at 8:52 am |
  8. sipon

What people actually get after they killed these innocent people attacking on the these peacefull worship houses , whoever are worshiping to a god they are the most peaceful people in this earth

August 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  9. Gregory Adamson

This story is what christianity is supposed to be about. Christianity isnt supposed to be about hating gay people and
    fighting to keep everythin g the way it is. Christianity should be about loving one another regardless of differences.

August 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Indeed so.

August 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • IdahoPlant

Amen!

August 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Mohammed_Islam

So the Islam is.... as the literal translation of Islam in Peace... about the freedom of belief explains a lot that let everyone decide their belief and you just let the people know.... as we all will be standing in front of Him on that day...

la ikraha fiddeen... mean – there is no compulsion in religion.... Al Quran 2:256

The word Muslim meaning – the one who believe in One and at the same time submits himself to the same One and all the prophets and messengers were just a prophet or messangers to show the mankind the straight path including Jesus the son of Marry.... and this is where all the prophets called as Muslim including Jesus and Moses....

Peace...

August 9, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • Jack

mohammad...all that is a falsehood. Your religion talks about peace but there is nio peace. If you belive it's peaceful then you're braiwashed. take your religion back across the sea

August 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • Homie

John,

I am Native American. I welcome Mohammad, and I am not a Muslim. I do wish your ancestors, who invaded my ancestors home, would have just stayed in their home, and left my ancestors alone. That would mean that you would probably be on a different continent, and we wouldn't have to deal with a bigoted xenophobic, like you. You have your freedom, to worship, or not, as you see fit, as should those of any religion, or no religion if they want.

August 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • just sayin

Jack..Islam is as false as yours. You both have origins to an ancient religion which your Gods were copied. You sound foolish pointing the finger.

August 9, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • srgntyork

Jack your religion was not founded in this country so pack it up and take it back to Europe where it belongs. YOU are a great example of everything that is wrong with our country. What a jerk...

August 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • Jack

Justsayin....I'm not religious so your comment is wrong.

August 9, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Jack

Homie...I feel bad for the Indians but all of Europe and asia came over here and took the land. In fact from the looks of indians more than likely Asians giot here before anyone. We don't even know if you're really an American Indian, many claim to be so they write things like you just have.

August 9, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • Jack

Imposter, betting they are muslim. Jesus Christ is my savior.

August 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Jack

Srgntyork....I belong to no religion...I probably have a lot of right to be here. May family fought in all major wars and my father fought in North Africa, Itally and more. If you said that to my face I'd knock you back to private

August 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • sam stone

Jack(ass): 1st Amendment...freedom of religion. If you don't like it, leave.

August 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • sam stone

Jack(off): Oooh...threats....go home, boy, and get your shinebox.

Free people do not need saviors, so get back on your knees, slaveboy

August 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

I wish I could agree with you Gregory, but the nicer points of Christianity that you describe are only a part of what it has been from its very beginnings. All along the way, it has been "human" and at times very "un-Christ-like" and political and this nature of Christianity is also evident in the bible, so it make me cringe when I hear some people describing that book as the word of god. But I think the subject of the article truly has good intentions.

August 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  10. naturechaplain

As a non-believer. . .no, as a human being, I commend this young woman for organizing her town. The hope is that the goodness of transcending faith and politics and race and anything else that divides, will bring a new wind of understanding, reason and peace to that troubled area. Will it change the polarizations in our country? No. But it takes a small step in the right direction. I've posted this link on the Beyond God blog at wordpress. Peace to them all.

August 9, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • VoiceOf Truth

What does "the goodness of transcending faith" mean? That can be a potentially divisive statement, actually. This person in the article responded as a result of her faith, not in spirt of it.

August 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  11. tonyh110

Nice gesture but I have to ask whats the result – rebuild another breeding ground for the Islamic fundementalists that believe anyone not muslim is an infidel and disposable

August 9, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • J.W

Maybe the people there are not Islamic fundamentalists.

August 9, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • SPA Knight

Tony – Sikhs are not Muslims. They are a very loving faith community that seek to live in peace, live a moral life and promote charity.

August 9, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • Pedro

I think you are a fundamentalists!

August 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • Mohammed_Islam

Doesn't Christianity believes that if you do not believe in Jesus as your savior, you will not be saved and you call them as infidel? even within the Christianity one denomination says the other is not correct... where do you fall in this regards dear Tony....
      Let The Creator decide on that day who is what and lets live this life with peace by being a good neighbor to each other....

Peace!!!

August 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • fandancy

Has it ever dawned on you that not all Islamist's are not terrorists? Only a tiny % promote hate, just like only a tiny % of christians promote hate. Most only want to live peaceful lives and raise their families just like you & I. Try to leave your hate behind or you are just like the ones you are afraid of.

August 9, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • Jenny

Seriously? Really are we gonna go there?

August 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • just sayin

"just like only a tiny % of christians promote hate"
      Wrong..large %.

August 9, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Homie

You have a hatred in your heart, that didn't come from Jesus Christ. I will pray for you.

August 9, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@just sayin,

let me make sure I understand you. You are saying that a large % of Christians hate, right?

August 9, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • VoiceOf Truth

@Mohammed_Islam: We don't use the term "infidel." You are either for Jesus or against Him. If you are against Him, you are simply an unbeliever.

August 9, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

i think a large % of christians speak with a forked tongue. they are raised from birth to speak love with jesus' words, and then wage war and disenfranchisement using the words of all the other characters from the NT. much harder to "spin" jesus words to use as hate and judgment, but say someone like the self-proclaimed apostle Paul – whewww – watch out! lol.

August 9, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  12. An Agnostic Person's view

This is my view, and by no means is it a direct attack to any race or anyone here. This is protected by my freedom of speech, and anyone who attacks me over this with replies will be ignored so do not even post if you are going to do so. However, intelligent responses will be read and possibly responded to.

This is sad, burning down a Mosque because of religious intolerance. Where is the freedom of religion? The problem is they would say "this is protected by the freedom of speech" as they burn mosques and Korans, wait a moment since when is doing something destructive considered speech? All because of a select few in power in this country decided to use their power to cause the intolerance to increase. And confusing the Sikh religion as a "Muslim" religion, what is wrong with this country when the freedom of religion is thrown aside because fear and hatred? Those who rather have no religion except the ones that are "God" followers and "Christian" like.

This hatred goes back thousands of years but this is the 21st century, I thought by now we grown past such things but apparently not. Racism, intolerance, hatred, and bigotry is getting worse and worse it seems. I see religion as a scapegoat for the real reason of being hateful and want to rid this nation of anything not "White" or "Christian". People go nuts and become a fanatic and go and kill innocent people in the name of "God" and "The Master Race". I thought that in the "Bible" one of the commandments is "THOU SHALT NOT KILL" yet they go and kill people at a SIKH house of worship, burn down Mosques, burn Korans. They still lynch African Americans (Neo-Nazi's/KKK) why? "White power we are the master race and if you are not white we will kill you in the name of the Aryan race." Um get over it the war was lost and all you are doing is committing crimes and hurting innocent people.

As a Native American, we did not escape the murderous escapades of the fanatics. We are still having prejustice attacks against us to this day. 138 years later and still the "White Government" is doing everything to take the last of what we have away so they can control the lands to steal the riches. They went over to the other side of the world to steal the $$$ Oil and $$$ Opium so that the select few evil people in power can get richer and richer. War criminals like Bush, and Cheney get away with it while our children are forcefully sent to fight a war they started so that they can get richer and we are here getting poorer.

And because of this war, look at the results, people are so fearful thanks to FOX NEWS, the media controlled by the Republicans who instill the fear so they can get those involved in the burning of this Mosque to cause the distrust to get worse so they can laugh to all the way to the bank by making the war perpetual because of the response to this. I do not believe in any religion because I see it as a lie. I do believe in a higher power, but I rather not be involved with all that dogma.

I am by no means a supporter of the Democrats either. There has to be a change, otherwise this will keep escalating, if this goes unchecked this may cause another Civil War (which is what "they" want) so they can declare Marshall Law and take over and destroy America and turn it into their country.

I am not happy with how things turned out all because of the very very very rich controlling DC to cause what happened to the United States in 2001 to get richer and killing off the poor. If they had their way fully they would kill every poor person so they can only "have their kind" around and hoard all the money. I do not understand why they want to do that they cannot take it with them when they die. Greed that is all it is, they think "Lets get everyone scared and distrustful of each other where they will kill each other and then we get their riches so I can feel powerful!" mindset.

The .1% do not care all they want is more and more money so they can feel like "Gods". And if this country does not wake up and realize what is going on, likely they will win and the world will indeed end as we know it. Do you all really think that this is what "God/Alllah" wants us to do? Why would he want his most loved creation to do this? IT MAKES NO SENSE!

I do not think so. But until the blind fools stop and the veil that blinds them falls there will be more and more senseless violence and murders. PEOPLE SHUT OFF FOX NEWS AND DISCERN ALL MEDIA OR LIVE IN BLINDNESS AND LOSE IN THE END.

I am getting tired of this tirade that is going on with the intolerance in this nation. All because the people who do this are angry, hateful, and fearful people who destroy what they do not understand. This will never stop until they stop instilling it. I weep for the future. It is bad enough these creatures came from another country and nearly wiped us Natives out so they can have full control because they are greedy.

All of this for what?

Until this stops, I will remain an Agnostic Native American. This is how I see it.

August 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Deb

Well said-The Native American people have been ripped off for hundreds of years-AND it makes me sick when I hear that Columbus discovered America (and let's give him a holiday)-NO he did not our ancesters were here way before christopher columbus came by on a boat. The best way to look evil in the face is to love thy neighbor no matter what race unless they are from hate groups.

August 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • JusDav

Well, did not read your book, but did note the "native american" part.
      fall off your high horse my friend, you are simply the descendants of the first immigrants.
      just because you got here a few thousand years before others does NOT may you "native"
      Africans, native. aborigines, native (maybe, kinda, sort of) US Indians ... not.

cheers
      JusDav

August 9, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

Yes, well said. I laugh, but hate when Christians say things like "this country was founded on Christianity" and "God has blessed this country". BS on so many levels. Of course the first statement is just plain wrong and shows that someone slept through their government class in school; and I would think it pretty presumptuous to say was God was blessing the good ole USA when the founders really started laying into the native americans when they arrived. And of course the kinds of Christian groups that spout this uneducated garbage are the ones that claim to be experts on what does and doesn't make a family, a marriage, etc. etc.

August 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

It's the term everyone uses, Jusdav. Jerktard of the highest order.

August 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • VoiceOf Truth

Good post. I agree with the gist of your comment, and I am a Christian (though not white – for me, those skin color labels are part of divide and conquer as well). A few notes, though:

"I thought that in the "Bible" one of the commandments is "THOU SHALT NOT KILL" yet they go and kill people at a SIKH house of worship, burn down Mosques, burn Korans. "

The guy who did this may claim to be a Christian, but as you allude, anyone who claims to be a follower of Jesus Christ, yet does not do what He commands, is not a believer. Period. An analogy would be policemen. If a person comes to your home at 10pm and pounds on your door, and you ask who is it, and he says he is the police. you would ask him to show you proof. If he does not show you a valid police badge, you know he is not a police officer. Similarly, we have to compare the actions of a person claiming to be a Christian with the direct, Bible-described actions of Jesus. Jesus re-affirmed behavior laws regarding murder, and even took it a step further and sais if you even have intense, hateful anger for your brother in your heart, you have committed murder. So if Jesus urged His followers to do this, and yet you find someone murdering especially in this manner, then is that person "for" Jesus or "against" Jesus? And if He is against Jesus, then who is he for? Answer: Satan.

Regarding partisan politics, both parties are two sides of the same coin...literally! There is no difference. They are playing a "good cop, bad cop" sham on the masses. It's also similar to when the good mom (Democrats) allow the kids to do certain things that the mean father (Republicans) would not allow. In the end, the two are still married and make love to each other at night when the children (the masses) sleep. So it is with Democrats and Republicans and all the citizens who condition their own selves to believe in this beastly lie.

August 9, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  13. Honey Badger Dont Care

Shes not a very good xtian. The bible is very clear that anyone of another religion, or teaching people about another religion, should be put to death.

August 9, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • J.W

When did Jesus say that?

August 9, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • cheddarwizard

Jesus said he gave a new commandment as the old law was fulfilled: love one another as he loved them. No qualifiers. Also, there was the command to make disciples of all nations. Instead, folks like you, who are not Christian, spread hate and exclude all unlike yourself. These are not only not supported in the New Testament, they are the exact opposite of the commands of Jesus Christ. You, sir, are either in the service of Satan or just a jerk, depending on what you believe. Enjoy it. Then try growing up.

August 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • upside down

You are incorrect, Honey. No where does it say that.

August 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Commenter

upside down,

Looks like you don't know your Bible's 1st Commandment very well:

1st. Commandment, Exodus 20:3 “Thou shalt have no other gods before me”.

- Punishments:

- Deuteronomy 17:1-5 “And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heavens, which I have not commanded. Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing and shalt stone them with stones, till they die”.

- Deuteronomy 13:6-10, “If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is of thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. Thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the Lord thy God."

- Exodus 22:20 “He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed”.

August 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  14. Jack

Folks, read back over these comments and you will see that when a person starts losing arguments they start calling names and the names get worse the more they lose.

August 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm |

Whine on, troll.

August 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I do think it's funny when you "address the crowd" on a board as if you were in some position to make pronouncements. Do you really think anyone is taking you seriously? Do you think anyone here takes anyone else seriously? Really? How naive are you? This is the internet and this is an anonymous forum. It's nothing but a pastime. If you're picturing everyone "out there" stopping to listen to you like E.F. Hutton when you call out "Folks", you're daft.

August 9, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • USAisAOK

Tom Tom you're an edi0t. and who are you to tell someone they can't address "folks"? when you comment on a board it can only be addressed to one person? you're an unintelligent toushee. you're like those clowns who comment on a posters typos or grammatical errors. what a waste of life.

August 9, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Jack

USAisOK...You have her figure out. She speaks with no direction and only throw insults when she's losing.

August 9, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Keith

Jack, That broad is going to blow a gasket in her brainpan one of these days-she sure does get wound up.

August 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Shakira

That is funny coming from you Jack, when someone doesn't agree with you, you call them a closet Muslim or Muslim sympathizer. Pot, Kettle, Black anyone?

August 9, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Aww, poor little Jack. You know you're a loser when you have pals like KEEF the pipe-fvcker and USA.

Speaking of that, USA is an idiot, when did I stop your little friend/sock puppet from addressing anyone? He can do so. He just did. He has that right. And I have every right to point at him and laugh.

Don't like it? Cry me a river, honey. No one said you had a right not be ridiculed and scorned.

August 9, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
  15. Keith

Just how much money has she raised in support of those burned out and murdered by muslims overseas? She sounds like a Rick Warren chrislam type to me.

August 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Keith

The very people she is so willing "love" on will be all to willing to cut her head off if she doesn't convert to islam. She is naive. She is 20, hopefully she gets smarter with age.

August 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm |

You haven't.

August 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • lisa

And you have raised how much money for anyone besides yourself? The fact is this country was founded on several intangeble truths, we all have the rigth to freedom of religion, we all have the right to freedom of speech and the freedom to assemble together all of which were threatened when this building was burned down. I really hate when short sighted people forget these things becuase I don't see people like you makeing these same comments when Timmothy McVeigh parked a van loaded with bomb material outside of a building that housed a daycare, good CHRISTIAN that he was. People who committe acts of violence against others in the name of any religion are wrong, period. Get off the muslim train, we have to many problems that start at home to point fingers at anyone else

August 9, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • Mohammed_Islam

I think we should encourage people doing good things and stop spreading the hatred.... this is not a regular healthy human’s activities…

Peace!!!

August 9, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • J.W

She is raising money because this happened in her community. If a church was burned down in her community I bet she would do this too. As a 20 year old college student she probably does not have the resources to raise money for victims of every atrocity around the world.

August 9, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

More hate from Keith! It must be Thursday.

So Keith are you busy working today to ti-the for the missions? Still telling all the heathens (through your missionary proxies) that they'll eternally burn in a lake of fire if they don't accept Jesus as their personal lord and saviour and then start donating to Christian churches to perpetuate the cycle of theological conquest?

Where's that monopoly on the truth come from again? I've forgotten.

What's the difference between Islam and Christianity again? Each has one God, each loves its converts.

August 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • Keith

Look, if you kool-aid drinkers would bother getting your news from some place other than mainstream media, you'd see what islam does to minority religions in other countries.

August 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, look, here's Keef the pipefvcker, complaining yet again about the bias of CNN and all the while posting here for free.

Do you see yourself as some sort of prophet, you moron? Nobody needs the help of some Neanderthal like you.

August 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  16. abbydelabbey

A person's character is shown not just by what they say alone but also by what they do.

But someone may well say, "You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works." James 2:18

August 9, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
  17. 2/8

And for the usual crowd who finds it appropriate (for some arrogant reason) to say that "We're logical and reasonable so we say God doesn't exist", just go away. You have the right to believe what you want to believe, but try not to stomp all over the beliefs of others. Reasonably speaking, nobody knows whether God exists or not unless you've died and come back (and don't lie and say that you have to prove a point), so logically, your comments don't hold water. The funny thing is, there ARE people out there who have died and been brought back by medical doctors and they say YES there is something there. They're not saying that everyone has to do this, or do that, they just say that there is something there. Of course the usual crowd of people who consider EVERYONE liars just shrug and blame it on other things, even though they were not there. There is plenty of proof, but if you're too ignorant to see it then that's your problem.

August 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • Andrew

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours

August 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@2/8, .... or is that 0.25?

You say: And for the usual crowd who finds it appropriate (for some arrogant reason) to say that "We're logical and reasonable so we say God doesn't exist", just go away.

You don't find "just go away" to be a tad "arrogant"? How charmingly ironic.

Blind faith is indeed blind – to many things.

Matthew 7:5: You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

August 9, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Nabun

I agree with you 100%, it should also be the reverse. If I dont want to believe in god, stop pushing your god on me. Stop forcing my kids from saying under god in the pledge of allegiance, stop using a bible in US courts where they are supposed to be secular. Stop pushing God on my money as in, "In god we trust".
      Hmmm, you have a really good thought there, lets make sure it applies to everyone, after all the USA is a secular country.

August 9, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@2/8

And why do you feel atheists want to "stomp all over the beliefs of others"?

Granted, there are some who behave that way. Most of us really just want to live and let live, but refuse to stand by silently when theists want to impose their "self-righteous regulations" on others who don't believe the same way or proselytize hatred.

We won't stand for that.

August 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • granny25

I believe in the afterlife. The way this world is turning into a stinking cesspool makes me almost anticipate going to the "other side".

August 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • Person of Interest

Nice to know this crap gets posted under an article about understanding and love for others that don't believe in what you believe. Kinda hypocritical, kinda non-constructive, but mostly d!@k!$#. I applaud you for taking the conversation in the completely wrong direction. Do you do children's party's? I bet your a blast.

I don't care what you believe. Two good friends of mine are preachers, I'm agonostic. They respect my feelings on this though greatly disagree with them and ask me monthly (if not weekly) to go to Church with them. On occassion I show up to see them preach. I admire their faith though I don't share it, we are just loyal to eachother due to 20+ years of friendship, trust, and understanding.

I'm ignorant of very little, I've been around the world, made friends with Muslims, Hindus, Christians, and Buddists. So please go away yourself afterall you've been posting alot and: "Well....what do you know. There's Americans out there who do accept people who are different than themselves. Your country needs more people like that. A LOT more."

Sounds very...arrogant.

August 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • just sayin

Andrew

Don't count on it. Without critical thinking, Christians will be swimming in a pool of self imposed ignorance. The world evolves around them and their Jesus period...there is nothing else.

August 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
  18. Nabun

I call these people true PATRIOTS. God bless them for making the USA a better place for all.

August 9, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • Andrew

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

August 9, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • correctlycenter

I will pray for you. Don't worry, my LORD and Savior Jesus Christ will not ever push Himself on you. John 3:16 , John 14:6 and Acts chapter 4 says that faith in Christ in the ONLY way to heaven. Today's politically correct "co-exist' world has a problem with that. What the LORD is saying is that those who separate themselves from God while alive on the earth will also be separated from God eternally! Think about that... God bless!

August 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • didn't drink the koolaid

@correctlycenter

Why would anyone want to go to heaven if they had to spend an eternity with people like you? Keep believing in Casper!

August 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • KeyWester

Correctly Center: Please explain why Christians start pouting Bible quotes to make their point to people who don't believe the same way you do not take quotes from the Bible as the proof of anything? Why pray for people who do not want your to pray for them?

August 9, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  19. Mohammed_Islam

Quotes : Mahatma Gandhi on Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Mahatma Gandhi, statement published in “Young India”, 1924:

“I wanted to know the best of the life of one who holds today an undisputed sway over the hearts of millions of mankind… I became more than ever convinced that it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days in the scheme of life. It was the rigid simplicity, the utter self-effacement of the Prophet the scrupulous regard for pledges, his intense devotion to his friends and followers, his intrepidity, his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and in his own mission. These and not the sword carried everything before them and surmounted every obstacle. When I closed the second volume (of the Prophet’s biography), I was sorry there was not more for me to read of that great life.”

August 9, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Mohammed_Islam,

that's a nice quote. The haters don't care. They don't want to understand that Ghandi was assassinated by Hindu nationalists who hated him for trying to restrain Hindus from opressing Muslims in post-part.tion India.

The do not seek to understand. All they are willing to see are the hate and lies broadcast at them by the minions of Rupert Murdoch. They consume and reguritate hate, and they vote.

August 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • Mohammed_Islam

You reminded me Malcom X who was also assassinated by his own people...

O our lord help us all and guide us all...

Peace