home
RSS
Evangelist Billy Graham hospitalized
Billy Graham delivers a message during one of his crusades at Flushing Meadows Park, New York, in 2005.
August 12th, 2012

Evangelist Billy Graham hospitalized

By the CNN Wire Staff

Updated Monday 5:30 a.m.

(CNN) - Evangelist Billy Graham was admitted to a hospital overnight for treatment of a pulmonary infection believed to be bronchitis, a North Carolina hospital and his evangelistic association said.

"Upon admission, he was alert and in good spirits," said the statement, which was released both by Mission Hospital in Asheville and the The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

The 93-year-old also was hospitalized for pneumonia last November, six months after similarly being admitted to a hospital for the same condition. Since then, he has remained "in good overall health ... though he continues to remain at home due to age-related conditions," according to the hospital and the association.

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Billy Graham • Christianity

1. msadr

Reverend Graham is the last of the great evangelists. He has been the voice of wisdom and reason for millions, including Presidents and Kings. I'm so glad that he is still with us to provide an example and to shine a light in the ever-growing darkness. When his light goes out, I pray someone else will be there to lead the way out. But for now, I thank God that he's still shining. For all the haters out there, I can say only one thing – if the truth offends you, then you are on the wrong side.

August 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • TheVocalAtheist

I'll take the wrong side if that's the truth, any day of the week.

August 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • tallulah13

Perhaps you should prove that your god is real before you make that judgement.

August 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • tk007e

He is a great man indeed. A man of faith and prayer. I'd like all of us to join in prayer for this lost soul named "The VocalEtheist". He sounds like his soul is tortured due to his believing in nothingness and the void that is burning his soul. He is so unhappy that his restlessness leads him to reply to every post on this board that recognizes Billy Graham as having been the great servant of God. His jealousy and desire to draw attention to himself and his meaningless life leads him to spread the gospel of his religion of Atheism. I think he is scared silly of death. Talking about contradiction and hypocrisy!

August 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • exlonghorn

MSADR,

When you have to define "right" and "wrong" sides based on your religious views, you're automatically wrong.

August 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • tk007e

Billy Graham is truly a great man indeed. A man of faith and prayer. I'd like all of us to join in prayer for this lost soul named "The VocalEtheist". He sounds like his soul is tortured due to his believing in nothingness and the void that is burning his soul. He is so unhappy that his restlessness leads him to reply to every post on this board that recognizes Billy Graham as having been the great servant of God. His jealousy and desire to draw attention to himself and his meaningless life leads him to spread the gospel of his religion of Atheism. I think he is scared silly of death. Talking about contradiction and hypocrisy!

August 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm |

@tk007e

Really? You are a very simple minded individual. I don't have a soul and I am not tortured, sorry. By the way atheism is not a religion. Please educate yourself before posting something you know nothing of. Thank you!

August 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • exlonghorn

tk007e, I think Billy Graham is a man...nothing more, nothing less. Frankly we all thought Jim Baker, Jerry Falwell, and Jimmy Swaggert were all swell fellas before we found out who they REALLY were. The best I can say about Graham is that I don't know him. BUT, I do have a problem with him if he EVER guided a politician to make a policy decision based on their religious views. Just like msadr, the problem with most faithful is that they view their religion as some sort of club, and you're either in, out, or you're a potential in if they can convert you.

August 12, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Ruby

Perhaps you should prove him unreal.

August 12, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
  2. Chris

Looks like the planet is about to take a long-awaited dump.

August 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • ErickMN

Ramen!

August 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  3. genebrady

I find it very interesting how these people fight to stay alive. I would think they believe in "Gods WILL" but apparently NOT. When it comes time to meet their maker, they ALL fight that opportunity.

August 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm |

Fear of the unknown.

August 12, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • Nancy

We are humanoids and cannot help our emotions. Although many will go as you seem to think we all should.... willingly, calmly and with joy.... of course many are still fearful. We are humans. Do you think our emotions just stop when dying?

August 12, 2012 at 4:17 pm |

@Nancy

I think you finally nailed it, I couldn't figure it out until your post. I now know what a believer is!

humanoid |ˈ(h)yo͞oməˌnoid|
      adjective
      having an appearance or character resembling that of a human.

August 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  4. Jim Murphy

What a great testimony Rev. Graham has been to the multitudes.

We thank you for all that you do and wish you well

August 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • TheVocalAtheist

So, you are demonstrating your approval of a bigot and a liar? Real nice way to live there Jimmy!

August 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • JoeyE

Vocalathiest get a grip! Billy already asked forgiven, guess what, grace conquered everything only for asking forgiving even believe in Jesus, that's all it matters.
      looks like you just want to stir anger.. grow up! why are you doing here? pay respect or begone!

August 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm |

@JoeyE

I'm older than you, wiser than you and I can be here just like you, too bad.

August 12, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Jim Murphy

Come back when you have achieved .001% what Rev. Graham has done for humanity.Until then, Adios!

August 12, 2012 at 4:14 pm |

@Jim Murphy

Please Jim. enlighten me on what this guy has done for humanity?

August 12, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • TheVocalAtheist

What Jim? He's delivered a message of hate and bigotry? Do you want me to achieve that? Will I be a better person in your eyes? Grow-up!

August 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • HM8432

VocalAtheist: Billy's a bigot and liar? You keep repeating that, but aren't giving any examples or proof. I suspect that the 'bigotry and lying' you're talking about is really the standards dictated by God through the Bible that he preaches about. Otherwise, he flawed and human like the rest of us. His charity spends millions of dollars on humanitarian crisis' around the world, with a minimal amount going to him personally. That, and he's a registered Democrat who was the first to desegregate his tent revivals. So what have YOU done to better society? Nothing, I suspect, since that's what Atheists are all about, nothing, and doing NOTHING for their fellow man!

August 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm |

@HM8432

If you can't see that it's not the man I'm speaking to, it's the message, get it? Did I have to point that out to you, really? If you can't see the bigotry and hate in your bible then you are blind like the rest that believe. And your statement about atheists doing nothing is ludicrous, just plain stupid, sorry to say.

August 12, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Ting

' I suspect that the 'bigotry and lying' you're talking about is really the standards dictated by God through the Bible that he preaches about'

That's the problem. That's why the Bible is immoral.

August 12, 2012 at 4:35 pm |

@Ting

Yes, Ting, it's the bible and the message not the man, even though he does believe it, he's way off base here in reality.

August 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • exlonghorn

Funny how all these folks come out of the woodwork to laud Billy Graham and yet how many of them thank and praise these folks?

Louis S. Goodman and Alfred Gilman
      Willem Johan Kolff
      Jean-Louis Prévost and Frederic Batelli
      Craig Venter
      Alan Turing
      Robert Huber
      E. Donnall Thomas
      Paul Greengard

August 12, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  5. BHS

what the devil is he holding onto this life for at his age if there is a marvelous heavenly hereafter. He mus not believe what he preaches.

August 12, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  6. Reality

Everyone may believe as they wish but common sense would make one realize that the hatred of yesterday, today, and tomorrow is so often driven by religion. Moreover, how about someone actually prove something associated with a god? Oh right, that's not possible, except for drawings on toast, on a tree, or in the clouds....enjoy life while you can, because once it's over, you'll never knew it existed....unfortunately.

August 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • Danny

What makes you think you can just assume that there is nothing after this life, and that there is no possibility whatsoever of the existence of an all powerful deity? Thats what I can never and will never understand about atheists?

August 12, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • LinCA

@Danny

You said, "What makes you think you can just assume that there is nothing after this life, and that there is no possibility whatsoever of the existence of an all powerful deity?"
      Most atheists will leave the possibility open that there are gods somewhere. But without any evidence to support their existence, it's silly to believe they do.

You said, "Thats what I can never and will never understand about atheists?"
      Have you prayed to Mithra today? Thor? Any of the thousands of gods out there? Why did you pick the one that you believe in?

August 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • tallulah13

Danny, if verifiable evidence emerges that proves the existence of a god, I will believe. The same thing goes for big foot, mermaids, elves, vampires, werewolves, chupacabra, alien visitors, and all those other things people believe in without supporting evidence.

August 12, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
  7. Name*amaju ayiku

U are a mighty man indeed to ur generation,words can't xplain how much u have affected lives positively most xpecially for de kingdom of God.I wish u speedy recovery in Jesus name Amen.

August 12, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • TheVocalAtheist

How can you wish a very bad person well? Do you understand what this man has done and is still doing to humanity, do you?

August 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
    • Ting

Why is he in the hospital? A simple prayer from 'Atheism Is unhealthy for children and things' is all he needs. Right?

August 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • tallulah13

Great idea, Ting!

August 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • ErickMN

I wish you an education so you could learn to spell words. Maybe Billy the pig can help you with that?

August 12, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  8. billy beer

is already dead, sigh.

August 12, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  9. Everett Wallace

he has no place in Heaven or on Earth under Earth yes in HELL.

August 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • Pilgrim2

but you sure do....

August 12, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  10. Mr Everyman

Reasonable people pray for Billy Graham's recovery. If he does not recover, then, we hope he meets his maker and is rewarded in God's dimension or realm. In the process of getting medical services, we pray that Rev. Graham keeps his positive spirit since we believe depressed people do less well when ill. I pray he get well so he can embrace an ever growing Christian faith.

August 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • TheVocalAtheist

Reasonable people see right through his lies and his bigotry.

August 12, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  11. JoeyE

wow.. bashing on christian? Have you see any christian bashing back to you? get a grip! If you don't like christian or any related to God.. just be peace and be mature to respect others.. I believe in God, Jesus is our Savior! If you don't want to believe in God, it is your decision.. but do not bashing anyone who believe in Him.. so immature of you for disrespect others.. I'm always learn and working hard to be humble. Last note.. why are you coming to this page.. just to think of being foolish? Do not come to this page to be a fool!

August 12, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • joe moe

Christians are always bashing other people with their ridiculous conversion attempts. They are constantly trying to control everyone who doesn't think like they do.

August 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • JoeyE

perhaps you met wrong people then, could be fanatic or some christians who are as milk, probably are learning as well.. Honestly, many christians who think they are saved just because of church or bible.. no.. it is only saved if you surrendered to Jesus that believe in Him.. then those christians shouldn't bash anyone else.. if someone doesn't want to listen to any christian.. it is fine.. it will remove any christian's burden for reject their gospels.. that's all..
      For any Christian who does bash or insult others are either hypocrite or probably doesn't know enough..

August 12, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • TR6

“Have you see any christian bashing back to you?”

So threatening me with eternal torcher and damning me to hell isn’t bashing?

August 12, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Pilgrim2

"His Gospel Message?" I believe that is a bit presumptuous!

August 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  13. Tim Jordan

Too bad he'll die after Christopher Hitchens would've loved to hear Hitchens' send up of old Bigot Billy.

August 12, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  14. Colin

So, here are two of the great contradictions in the Christian superst.ition.

First, they pray for his recovery while assuring themselves he will "go to heaven". If their fant.asy about heaven is true, they should be praying for his immediate death, so as to get his to his blissful reward as quickly as possible.

Second, praying for a medical recovery is tantamount to asking an all-knowing, all-powerful, all-knowing being to change its mind. That is inherently self-contradictory.

August 12, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • TMaximus

It is quite telling how Graham & and like minded will insist OTHER victims of death are in a "better place" & it's "god's plan yet they themselves resist and refuse to obey the planner when being handed a one-way-ticket to that "better place".

They run to the hospital = insubordination, squared ...disobeying "god's plan" and insist they MUST, MUST, MUST own weapons to defend themselves to resist with blazing guns their paranormal planners schedule of beaming them up to a "better place". Why the resistance to standing on the holy holodeck ther allege takes them to paradise with an endless smorgasbord?

We witness day-after-day these Cafeteria Christians picking and choosing which biblical edicts they will
      ignores so much so, they've fired their deity years ago. censored the edict "thou shall not judge" and become "the judge" of everyone who isn't a punter for their Bigotry R Us manifesto or finance their ongoing ancient pyramid scheme perpetrated from behind the pulpits.

August 12, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  15. TheVocalAtheist

Do you know how many people in this world are dying right this second? What makes him so special?

August 12, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • TheVocalAtheist

Alright then, nobody told me why he is so special so here it goes: He fooled all of you out of zillions of dollars and he's still alive spending it. The best of everything a person on earth can buy this guy has. Do you want to bet he has the best medical right now? How about the poor sucker in an emergency room dying because he doesn't have the proper insurance?
      At the end of the day we all get hit in the face with the same shovel.

August 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • JoeyE

looks like you don't know him very well.. He already was rich before he became evangelist.

August 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm |

@JoeyE

I know him enough to know he's not a good person and I know enough that he's made zillions off of an imaginary being.

August 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • Nancy

Billy Graham has been a voice of reason and calm in turbulent times. He has stood as a moral compass for zillions of us Christians. Rev Graham deserves the accolades 10 times over as a primary spiritual leader of our times despite the many aethiests like yourself who decry just how special this man is. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to tell you why he was important to me.

August 12, 2012 at 4:08 pm |

@Nancy

So, it doesn't matter that he's a bigot to you?

August 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm |

@Nancy

You just don't get it, it's not the man it's his message. He's just another human like you or I. It's the message that is extremely harmful.

August 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  16. Lynn

God bless you Billy Graham. You are one of my heroes, and I want to thank you for pointing me towards my savior Jesus Christ. I look forward to meeting you one day in His kingdom, by God's grace. Praying you recover quickly. Thank you is just not enough to say...

August 12, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • TheVocalAtheist

So, a bigot is a hero of yours? Nice.

August 12, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • ja-coffalotte

He is a bigot who believes in a fairy tale, that's your idol? He should just get in a box already, hasn't he done enough damage to humanity?

August 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • Sam Harris

Read this comment with a sad face. Replies made me leave happy.

August 12, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • joe moe

He is a con man. There is no heaven or hell or an omnipotent, omniscient, all loving God who intervenes in this world. He convinced you of this fiction so he could steal your money.

August 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
  17. Ruby

You can decide to trust God or you can decide to be miserable.

August 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Casper

Or you can use your own brain and deduce the fact that religion is fake. Obviously fake. I mean you people are embarrassing yourselves.

August 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • NoTheism

false dichotomy, plus, it seems like you're proposing Pascal's Wager...
      Bad, bad, bad logic.
      On top of that, do you think that people can force themselves to believe? Even if I said to myself that there is no evidence, no good reason to believe in an invisible super friend, but I should think otherwise because ... yes, because I am going to hell if I don't...
      What an evil and miserable god you believe in.
      I can't imagine how many repercussions that type of reasoning has on the rest of your existence.

August 12, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • ja-coffalotte

Yep, Casper nailed it. ALL religious people are mentally ill on some level, believing in the fairy tale of immaculate conception and resurrection, sorry Joseph, somebody hit that.

August 12, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Woody

In China most do not believe in our God . They believe in building computers for christians to buy , and the nativity scenes, and bibles . We believe in God , and they believe in manufacturing . I guess we can live without a paycheck since God will fill our gas tanks with Allah's Oil . People in this country don't have a clue !

August 12, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • tallulah13

No, that's just you, Ruby. Some people have the ability to understand that there is no comfort to be had in believing in something for which there is no proof. A pretty lie is still a lie.

August 12, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • Randy

Well, I guess I'm mentally ill then. I just wish I could see your faces when you stand in front of my Lord Jesus Christ and realize that us Christians aren't so weird after all.

August 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • tallulah13

I wouldn't call you mentally ill, Randy. I'd simply say that you are one of the millions of people who are culturally indoctrinated in a faith that makes unsubstantiated promises of immortality.

August 12, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  18. Casper

He is going to be upset when he dies and finds out that Allah is the one true god.

August 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm |

A gay black

August 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • ArmyCSM

Or the Mormon's baptize him after he's dead.

August 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • tk007e

Who named God Allah? His grandson Muhammad the killer of so many people who refused to believe his perverted fairy tales. I believe that Billy Graham knows who God it is not what Muhammed chose to name him!

August 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • john

Casper, your Allah is a joke and you are even a bigger joke!

August 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • tallulah13

Nah. I'm thinking Anubis.

August 12, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • exlonghorn

Hehe.,..I really like it when y'all get into a tiff about who's imaginary deity is the REAL slim shady. Funny. Just clarifies the absurdity of the whole thing.

August 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
  19. james hotz

Sinners repent, and seek salvation, or go to eternal damnation.

August 12, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • NoTheism

Who are you calling a sinner?

August 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • tallulah13

Sinners repent, or Gozer the Traveler will devour you and you will know what it is to be roasted in the depths of the Slor.

August 12, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • exlonghorn

At least there's film and pictures of Gozer.

August 12, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
  20. TheVocalAtheist

93 year old bigot.

August 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • ArmyCSM

That's for sure. Although, his son is worse.

August 12, 2012 at 3:22 pm |