home
RSS
First on CNN: Atheist group targets presidential candidates' faith with billboards
A billboard criticizing Christianity is going up in Charlotte, North Carolina, host city of the upcoming Democratic National Convention.
August 13th, 2012

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) - A prominent atheist group is using next month's Democratic National Convention to take aim at the presidential candidates' religion, putting up billboards targeting Mormonism and Christianity in Charlotte, North Carolina.

“Our political system is rife with religion and it depends too much on religion and not enough on substance," said David Silverman, president of American Atheists, sponsor of the ads.

"Religion is silly and religion has components that are inherently divisive. … There is no place for any of that in the political system,” he said.

The billboards go up Monday in Charlotte and will stay up for a month at a cost of roughly $15,000. The Democratic convention runs September 3-6.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The billboard targeting Christianity features an image of Jesus Christ on toast and this description of the faith: "Sadistic God; Useless Savior, 30,000+ Versions of ‘Truth,’ Promotes Hates, Calls it ‘Love.’ ”

The billboard targeting Mormonism lambastes - and, Mormons would say, distorts - specific Mormon doctrines: "God is a Space Alien, Baptizes Dead People, Big Money, Big Bigotry.”

The Mormon billboard features a man in white underwear, a reference to special Mormon garments.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Both billboards feature the line "Atheism: Simply Reasonable."

American Atheists had wanted to put the anti-Mormon billboard in Tampa, Florida, to coincide with the Republican National Convention there later this month. Presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney is a Mormon. When no billboard company in the city would lease the group space for such a sign, Silverman said the organization decided to focus solely on the Democrats in Charlotte.

“Presidential conventions are for ideas, not ideology - platforms, not platitudes," Silverman said. "If a person believes stupid things, we have every right to question his or her judgment, and that directly impacts how the nonreligious voter votes.”

CNN Belief Blog: Atheist leader hopes to mobilize closeted nonbelievers

Some religious leaders said the billboards showed a misunderstanding of how faith works.

"That billboard makes the most common high-school error when it comes to atheism," wrote the Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit priest and author, in an e-mail to CNN. "It's not arguing against the existence of God, but against religion. The American Atheists need to go back to school on this one."

Martin also questioned the language used on the billboard: "And as for 'promoting hate' they're doing a bang-up job themselves with that billboard."

Terryl Givens, a Mormon professor at the University of Richmond, called American Atheists "petty and vindictive."

“If this example of adolescent silliness is what atheists mean by being reasonable, then neither Mormons nor other Christians have much to worry about," he said of the billboards. "When atheists organize to serve the poor and needy of the world, they will be taken more seriously."

CNN Belief Blog: Unbelieving preachers 'come out' as atheists

It's not the first time the American Atheists group has released in-your-face billboards. Earlier this year, the group put up two billboards in heavily Muslim and Jewish enclaves in New Jersey and New York bearing messages in Arabic and Hebrew.

“You know it’s a myth … and you have a choice,” the billboards said. At the time, Silverman said the signs were intended to reach atheists in Muslim and Jewish areas who may feel isolated because they are surrounded by believers.

In addition to the billboards, Silverman said his group plans to stage protests at both conventions.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: 2012 Election • Atheism • Barack Obama • Christianity • Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Politics

soundoff (7,477 Responses)
  1. Julia

Diety or lack there of is an individual choice. I hope we do not loose sight of individuality. Collectivism seems to be ruling the thought process of late when discussing religion. Live and let live.

August 24, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Julia,

I would be happy with "live and let live". Christianity and many religions do not have a good history (or present for that matter) of live and let live. I would never want religion banned or censored in any way by the gov't. Religion wants to be in the marketplace of ideas, and since that is the case they better get used to being criticized like any other idea, they will not get a free pass.

August 24, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
  2. guy2213

I attended a catholic high school so we learn about the church and its history, it has a scary past and yes for the most part many Catholic's and Christians do try to shove our religion down others peoples throats. Not all Catholics and Christians are like that, my senior year religion teacher taught us that atheists, Jews, Muslims, etc. would make it to heaven as long as they live a good life on earth. My best friend is a great guy and would do anything for pretty much anyone on the street, I believe there is a heaven, hell and purgatory and honestly I believe my best friend would go to heaven although he is an atheist. As for my hate for other Gods I don't have a hate for other God's. Also Catholic's, Jews, and Muslims all believe in the God of Abraham. I believe we all have the same God, only thing is our teachings are a little different. I do not know exactly what happens after we die, I believe in a God and try to live the best life possible on earth. Honestly maybe all religions are a little right and we just don't know it. That seems to be pretty logical.

August 24, 2012 at 4:47 pm |

@guy,

we understand where you are coming from. Live and let live are great words to live by. Not all believers in this country feels the same way that you do. Part of the reason you are content to live this way is that you are a Catholic.

Catholics in the United States have a long history of being oppressed – particularly the Irish in the 19th century and now the Hispanics in the late 20th and early 21st.

Our country has incubated one of the most fundamentalist and judgmental beliefs the world has ever seen. This belief system overthrew its government in a violent and bloody civl war that spread into multiple international conflicts. Eventually the people of that country realized that living in a theocracy with an army to police religion was no fun and after a couple of regime changes, the government settled down and eventually changed their laws to permit the practice of other faiths.

But here it lived on. Despite the near miraculous foundation of a government with NO religion, and possibly because of the religious freedoms we enjoy, this belief system flourished and morphed itself into something that today wants and strives for a h0mogeneous Christian country with religious laws that are indistict from Sharia. It is opposed to immigration because that just encourages more Catholics to enter this country.

What do we call this judgmental belief? We call it Evangelical Protestantism and it holds the leash of one of the two parties in our political system.

August 24, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  3. guy2213

why is there this huge hate between atheists and Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. I am a Catholic but I do not shove my religion down others people's throats at all, I stay quite for the most part. I have many friends that are atheist's including one of my best friends. One thing I have noticed is that most atheist's are very hostile and try to convince me my God is not real, etc. Why are atheists very hostile and have this hate for God could any atheists out there answer this for me. I hope I don't offend anyone I am merely looking for an answer on this topic.

August 24, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • Damocles

Are you seriously looking for a response or just trying to stir the pot even more?

I can only speak for myself. I don't hate anyone, its too time consuming to keep trying to hate everyone who disagrees with what I may or may not say. My problem arises when people use their belief either as a shield to cover up their personal hatreds, or when they try to hijack science to try and spin some kind of justification for their beliefs.

If you hate, fine, then say YOU hate, not 'my deity hates this and that so I'm OK'. Stop trying to hammer science into following your religious beliefs, it can't work that way and just gets downright confusing.

August 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Whiteman

I’m an atheist. I have many atheist friends and can’t think of a single one who hates christians; although I know a great many christians who think that I will be eternally tortured because my beliefs are evil.

While I do not hate christians, I do fear them because they are constantly proselytizing. This isn’t just an individual christian wanting to share their beliefs with me, they desire to use the power of the state to force their beliefs on me and I have to say that your church is one of the worst offenders. This strategy was used historically by virtually every denomination and is still in use today. At least in my case, don’t mistake fear for hate.

August 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

guy,

I am a former catholic now atheist. For the most part atheists hate the "belief" not the believer. Christians identify themselves with the "belief" to such an extent that they feel personally attacked when the dogma is criticized. Most people who I know consider themselves christians. For the most part your type of personal belief is non-invasive on others, but if you really look at what is being pushed by other christians in this country (anti gay rhetoric and laws, trying to get gov't to endorse christianity, blaming natural disasters and tragedies on atheists) you would understand where it comes from.

August 24, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • What IF

guy,
      " Why are atheists very hostile and have this hate for God"

Do you have hostility and hate for Allah? Vishnu? Zeus? Ra?

When you understand why you dismiss all other gods, perhaps you will begin to understand why we dismiss yours.

August 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Observer

guy,

"Why are atheists very hostile and have this hate for God"

Logic failure.You can't hate something you don't think exists.

August 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

Guy, satan hates God, and those who reject God and by rejecting Him became satan's captives, have hatred toward God which satan, their father puts in their hearts. That's not to say that all unbelievers are satans offspring, becaue some are God's lost sheep that's not yet found. But when people like some of the ones on this and other belief blogs say things like they are saying, it is obvious that they are reprobates and have crossed certain point where God turned them over to reprobate minds and all that's left for them is to find out that they were fooled and lead by their noses by the enemy of their souls, while refusing the only hope they had, the salvation of their souls in Christ Jesus our Lord. I believe that we are living in days when the pits of Hell itself have spewed out demonic forces that the Word of God f may be fulfilled for the days ahead to come, when all things from the bargaining of time will culminate in the last chapter of human history as we know it. There ar some fearful times coming on this earth, in which the hearts of mankind and intents of then will be weighed in the balance. Yet, those which God calls fools will not understand, but peopel of His flock will understand and find their strength in God's amazing grace and promises of His Word. But it is not surprising to see such hatred toward Christ Jesus and f His people, because that's what He said that would happen. Because satan has no problem with other religions, he has no "rival" in them. They Are originated by him anyway. But it is the Name of Jesus Christ that he hates.....because he knows WHO HE IS!

August 24, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
  4. pg13

Rev. James Martin is the one making a "high school" error. Atheism is more about not following a religion than it is about being against an imaginary god.

But what do you expect a religious person to say? And especially a "Reverand."

August 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  5. Rufus T. Firefly

Chad, does it really not give you a moments pause that you are trying to bring people to respect Christianity, and yet a substantial portion of the regulars on this blog consider you to be a downright dishonest person?

Do ya ever consider you might be going about this all wrong?

August 24, 2012 at 10:26 am |
  6. Tom, Tom, the Other One

Chad: " 95% of atheists would become Christians if they had even a basic understanding of what Christianity is.."

If he is up for it, I hope Chad will explain and represent the biblical concept of atonement.

Chad, what is atonement? Does God require it or is there something that God is subordinate to that requires it?

August 24, 2012 at 2:51 am |
    • Mike

95% of atheists were Christian but soon realized the absurdity of religion.

August 24, 2012 at 3:29 am |
    • Tony

95% of Atheists are still mad at Daddy.

August 24, 2012 at 3:40 am |
    • 2357

Commandments of God are contingent on the attribute of God's person that overrides all other attributes, namely his holines. atonement, or what God requires as propitiation for sin, reflects God's absolute and perfect hatred for sin. Logical question is "why then did God create the possibility of sin?". The answer is contingent on the next attribute of God's person, namely his glory. The name of God is glorified when sinners turn from darkness to delight in the light. God feels joy when people recognize the futility of all that is not God, and acknowledge that he is holy and good. God is also glorified when satan and his followers are forever pinned under his white-hot wrath. They become an eternal burnt offering, whose aroma God finds pleasing. There is no such thing as "eternal separation" from ther person of God, as many churches have taught. Hell is the separation from his grace.

August 24, 2012 at 6:27 am |
    • josh1

So God created sin to feel 'personal' joy when people see the futility of all that is not God?? So... God is selfish??

August 24, 2012 at 7:08 am |
    • Huebert

@Tony

95% of Christians suck at making up statistics.

August 24, 2012 at 9:58 am |

@2357,

If God loves us, and wants us to be with him for eternity in paradise, why does he send us into the world to test us in the first place?

Oh, that's right – you explained "the next attribute of God's person, namely his glory".

So God is an egotistical meglomaniac who gets a feel-good rush when we kiss up to him?

weird.

August 24, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • Simran

"The name of God is glorified when sinners turn from darkness to delight in the light."

Why does God need us to feed his ego???

August 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • Simran

" They become an eternal burnt offering, whose aroma God finds pleasing. "
      God is a SATANABILISTIC then??? He finds the aroma of Satan burning very pleasing!!! Yum, I smell a tasty chicken.

August 24, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • jim

@2357
      "There is no such thing as "eternal separation" from ther person of God, as many churches have taught"

Seriously all the churches got it wrong but You have it figured out, you have the correct answers! Lol where can i send my money!

August 24, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • 2357

Lol. If a man thought of himself this way, yes he would be a worthless egomaniac. But if you're creator of time space and matter, it would be dishonest to diminish your greatness, even just a little bit. Its a wonder that God wants to save any of us at all, we being lovers of sin. None of this is actually new, just read the puritans. And send your money where Yeshua is exalted, uber alles.

August 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"But if you're creator of time space and matter, it would be dishonest to diminish your greatness, even just a little bit. Its a wonder that God wants to save any of us at all, we being lovers of sin."

2347,

I expect a lot better from the "creator of the universe" and his son. He should not need to be a petty, selfish, egomanical, immoral pri.ck. No one forced him to create us, he is entirely responsible for all outcomes. It is the fact that your god (the creator of the universe) is so flawed, that the belief becomes absurd.

August 24, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • 2357

Cheesemaker, i used to feel a similar revulsion. Then i realized that Yeshua has already moved on to the next universe. He truly meant "all things" when he said "I make all things new". No reason or ranting can change what is "finished".

August 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • tallulah13

@Tony. I had my differences with my father, but I loved him very much, and I miss him now that he is not longer living. I don't know what that has to do with the fact that I don't believe in any god.

If you are trying to say that atheists are "angry at god", then why don't you just say that? Then we can point out that it's silly to be angry at something that doesn't exist. Then we can ask you why you are so mad at Zeus and Odin. Then maybe you'd realize how lame your statement was.

August 24, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

2357,

Why is your god's actions any less revolting just because (in your mind) he has moved on to the next universe? If you are saying he is no longer active in this universe that would not get him out of being an immoarlly bereft jerk.

August 24, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • 2357

If the life giver sends his son to humbly submit to torture and murder, isn't it sufficient proof that he cares about our awful, cursed existence, that he desires to feel the suffering that we go through? He shields us from the fullness of his holy presence, because he knows it would kill us where we stand. Is he really evil, or immoral, for simply knowing and sharing his terrifying awesomeness?

August 24, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • Huebert

@2357

If the Flying Spaghetti Monster sends his only meat ball to humbly submit to torture and murder, isn't it sufficient proof that he cares about our awful, cursed existence, that he desires to feel the suffering that we go through? He shields us from the fullness of his noodleie presence, because he knows it would kill us where we stand. Is he really evil, or immoral, for simply knowing and sharing his terrifying pastaness?

This is how loony you sound.

August 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

2357,

No. It is absurd that the creator of the universe had to send his son, who was himself, to be a blood sacrifice, in order to create a loophole for a rule and situation he himself set up. He is the creator of the universe, he could handle it any way he wanted, but he had to torure and kill to get his point across. It is just more proof your myth is immoral. Like I said, I expect better from a creator who can do anything....and you should too. But that is proof the myth is false.

August 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • Observer

2357,

"our awful, cursed existence"

You are really trashing God for the world he created. Well done.

August 24, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Let me re-ask my original question without sarcasm:

If God loves us, and wants us to be with him for eternity in paradise, why does he send us into the world in the first place to test our worthiness to be with him?

Really, I just don't get this aspect of Christian philosophy. It is irrational – or clearly God's love is conditional.

And just where are our 'eternal' souls before conception?

August 24, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
    • 2357

Whatever suffering and injustice we see around us is the direct result of God's curse. Its different from damnation however. Curse of God is so that observers of suffering would ponder, inquire, and eventually arrive at the suffering servant on the cross. There is grace mingled with his curse. It has been a day of grace for almost two thousand years. Tomorrow is the Judgement.

August 24, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • 2357

God loves us not because we're cute and nice. He loves us because when he looks into a human he sees his own self, a buried glimpse of it at our core. He cursed Adam because he desired to save some of him, the parts that were remorseful of sin. Had he no grace he would have destroyed everything and saved none. Every day is a parsing out of Adam's remorseful seed from among the fallen. Before you were conceived your soul was in the fallen soul of Adam, the first son of God in the flesh. That's why babies cry coming into the world.

August 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Adam didn't need any saving if God hadn't put the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the middle of the garden of Eden and then said to Adam (who at that point still has no concept of good and evil) "now don't eat the fruit of that tree".

As soon as Adam eats the fruit he jumps out and says "gottcha, you sinned, begone". Adam can't even know he has sinned until after the fact.

Again, why is God perverse? Why does he do this to beings he supposedly loves as being made in his image?

August 24, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • 2357

More than testing Adam, God was testing Satan. I don't know why god wants to build a case against the father of all lies. Perhaps the fate of other angels are at stake. But i do know his holiness requires the most perfect purging of heaven and earth when all is said and done. Every condemned son of Adam will compound the punishment that he will suffer, as if the death of the Christ were not criminal enough.

August 24, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

" If a man thought of himself this way, yes he would be a worthless egomaniac. But if you're creator of time space and matter, it would be dishonest to diminish your greatness, even just a little bit. Its a wonder that God wants to save any of us at all, we being lovers of sin. None of this is actually new, just read the puritans. And send your money where Yeshua is exalted, uber alles"

Let the Name of Yeshua be exalted above everything that exists, world without end –

A-M-E-N and AMEN!!!

August 24, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
  7. John Bunyan

VERSE 1
    Gladly would I leave behind me
    All the pleasure I have known
    To pursue surpassing treasures
    At the throne of God the Son
    Worthy of unending worship
    Love and loveliness is He
    By His precious death were millions
    From the jaws of death set free

VERSE 2
    Gladly would I give to Jesus
    All affection, everything
    For the washing of His mercy
    Makes my ransomed heart to sing
    "Holy, holy!" is the chorus
    Rising up from those who see
    Christ exalted, bright and burning
    Full of pow'r and purity

CHORUS
    Where else can I go?
    Jesus, You're the One
    That I was made to know
    What else can I do?
    Jesus, You're my all
    I gladly run to You

VERSE 3
    Gladly would I flee temptations
    For their troubles fill my life
    Turn and seek my God and Savior
    For His goodness satisfies
    Earthly treasures, all are passing
    Thieves break in and rust destroys
    But in God are awesome splendor
    Love, and everlasting joys

TAG
    Gladly would I give to Jesus
    All affection, everything
    For the washing of His mercy
    Makes my ransomed heart to sing

August 24, 2012 at 1:04 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheese Makers

Generals gathered in their masses
      Just like witches at black masses
      Evil minds that plot destruction
      Sorcerers of death's construction
      In the fields the bodies burning
      As the war machine keeps turning
      Death and hatred to mankind
      Poisoning their brainwashed minds
      Oh lord yeah!

Politicians hide themselves away
      They only started the war
      Why should they go out to fight?
      They leave that role to the poor
      [ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/black+sabbath/war+pigs_20019418.html ]
      Time will tell on their power minds
      Making war just for fun
      Treating people just like pawns in chess
      Wait 'til their judgement day comes
      Yeah!

Now in darkness world stops turning
      Ashes where the bodies burning
      No more war pigs have the power
      Hand of God has struck the hour
      Day of judgement, God is calling
      On their knees the war pig's crawling
      Begging mercy for their sins
      Satan laughing spreads his wings
      Oh lord yeah!

August 24, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

To Blessed Are the Cheesemakers – like! like! like!

August 24, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  8. 2009 Pew Research poll of scientists religious affiliation

Mainline Protestant: 16%
    Catholic: 10%
    Jewish: 8%
    Evangelical Protestant: 4%
    Other religion: 10%
    Refused to answer: 4%
    Nothing in particular: 20%
    Agnostic: 11%
    Atheist: 17%

1 Discussion of the beliefs of scientists is based on a survey of members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), which partnered with the Pew Research Center on the survey. AAAS is the world's largest general scientific society and includes members representing all scientific fields. However, the survey of AAAS members may not be representative of all scientists in the U.S.

August 24, 2012 at 12:49 am |
    • Atheist B.S. watch, a public service

Wow. From Pew research. Wonder how the axe grinding, deity possibility hating minions of the militant, Atheist Right are going to try to spin this little factoid?

August 24, 2012 at 1:00 am |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Yup – radically different from the average.

2009 Science .... 2007 total ... relative
      -------
      Evangelical Protestant: .... 04% .... 26% .... 0.2X
      Mainline Protestant: ......... 16% .... 18% .... 0.9X
      Catholic: .......................... 10% .... 24% .... 0.4X
      Jewish: .......................... 08% .... 02% .... 4.0X
      Other religion: ................. 10% .... 03% .... 3.3X
      Nothing in particular: ....... 20% .... 12% .... 1.6X
      Agnostic: ........................ 11% .... 02% .... 4.6X
      Atheist: ........................... 17% .... 02% .... 10.6X
      Refused to answer: ........ 04% .... 01% .... 5.0X

Scientists are 10X more likely to be atheists than the average population.
      Scientists are 0.2X as likely to be Evangelicals than the average population.

August 24, 2012 at 1:07 am |
    • Atheist B.S. watch, a public service

Well, from the overwhelming tenor of the posts by Atheists on the Belif Blog threads, that makes 83% of the scientists in the United States idiots. Because, as we all know, if you are not an Atheist, you are an idiot. I am not suprised at the 17% figure at all. More power to them. The figure is a very far cry from the repeated 93% figure parrotted over and over on this thread.

August 24, 2012 at 1:14 am |
    • Atheist B.S. watch, a public service

72% of US scientists believe in some form of a "Sky-Fairy".

August 24, 2012 at 1:19 am |
    • therealpeace2all

Survey completed back in '96 on the NAS.

Puts the figure lower than the 93% that -Atheist B.S. watch is confirming.

Peace...

August 24, 2012 at 1:22 am |

@Chad,

where do you get the number of 93% being "parroted"?

I find it significant that in the scientific community atheists are dramatically over-represented* and evangelical protestants are dramatically under-represented*.

* Compared with national averages.

I don't find this datapoint surprising in any way. Evangelical Protestantism is the religion of anti-science after all.

August 24, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  9. Interesting study on "overwhelmingly" Atheist scientists

Even more Atheist Bologna uncovered,
    From Discover Magazine 4/13/2010:

Are Top Scientists Really So Atheistic? Look at the Data

by Chris Mooney

Elaine Howard Ecklund is a sociologist at Rice University; we cited her work on the topic of science and religion in Unscientific America. Now, she is out with a book that is going to seriously undercut some widespread as.sumptions out there concerning the science religion relationship.

The book, soon to be out from Oxford University press, is ent.itled Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really Think. And let me give you just a taste of her answers, from the book jacket (I haven’t dug in yet):

In the course of her research, Ecklund surveyed nearly 1,700 scientists and interviewed 275 of them. She finds that most of what we believe about the faith lives of elite scientists is wrong. Nearly 50 percent of them are religious. Many others are what she calls “spiritual entrepreneurs,” seeking creative ways to work with the tensions between science and faith outside the constraints of traditional religion…..only a small minority are actively hostile to religion. Ecklund reveals how scientists–believers and skeptics alike–are struggling to engage the increasing number of religious students in their classrooms and argues that many scientists are searching for “boundary pioneers” to cross the picket lines separating science and religion.
    Incidentally, the universities whose scientists were surveyed for the book are: Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Penn, U.C. Berkeley, UCLA, U. of Chicago, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign, U. Michigan, U. Minnesota, UNC Chapel Hill, U. Washington-Seattle, U. Wisconsin-Madison, U.S.C., Washington University, and Yale.

August 24, 2012 at 12:34 am |

You're an idiot.

August 24, 2012 at 12:36 am |
  10. Chad

Chad
    I find it endlessly intriguing that atheists spend so much time and money hating and opposing the Judeo-Christian God , something they know nothing about.
    amazing

personally, the first thing I would do if I hated something, would be to investigate it thoroughly to get more ammo.
    atheists dont do that though.. why?

weird.

August 23, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why would they need to expend the effort, Chard, when you supply all the ammo needed?

August 23, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • b4bigbang

August 23, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Pot, meet kettle. Times two.

August 23, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Chad

@b4bigbang "Why should they investigate further to get more ammo when they appear to be quite content to twist, distort and misrepresent the little info they already have?"

=>right, well said..

still it's weird, first thing I would do in their situation is go digging for more ammo. After all, if you are confident a position is nonsense, the more you learn, the more you can tear it apart.. On the other hand, if you were subconsciously terrified that it was true, you would obviously not want to learn anything about it.

August 23, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

b4 and The Chard (sounds like a TV sitcom and will probably be funnier than one), why don't you two team up? Maybe between the pair of you, you can actually answer a question honestly. I doubt it, but give it the old college try.

Speaking of which: Chard, did you ever connect your god to the Big Bang or evolution? I hope I didn't miss it!

August 23, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gee, Chard, how come you don't apply the same reasoning?

Did you ever finish that discussion on how your god initiated the Big Bang? Did you provide evidence? What was it? Inquiring minds want to know.

*laughing at you, not with you*

August 23, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
    • I Don't Get It

This "God" supposedly thinks that its words and will are all important, but 'he' continues to send out uncredible and easily dismissed spokespeople, when 'he' could so simply communicate his existence and wishes to all.

weird.

August 23, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
    • b4bigbang

@Chad: I'm beginning to suspect that the atheist mindset is a bit like a used car salesman.
      When he begins his career the lies bug him a bit, but if he stays in the job, after awhile he 'sells himself' on his entire rant and ends up believing his own lies.

August 23, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

Didn't you already try this, Chad? And you got blown out of the water by people who referenced the Pew Forum survey that showed that atheists are the most knowledgeable about religion, and Protestant Christians are the least. So, you thought you would just move here and try with a different audience, I guess.

The relative truth or falsehood of the things you say makes no difference at all to you does it, Chad? Show some integrity, man.

August 23, 2012 at 11:20 pm |

nice try,, but no 🙂

atheists attack the God of Abraham, VIRTUALLY EXCLUSIVELY
      fact

why?

does that make any sense at all?

August 23, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
    • Consumer Reports

b4,

Funny... that's how I rate Paul of Tarsus.

August 23, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

It is the opinion of Chadwatch, a public service, that Chad and b4bigbang may actually be the same person. Changing handles is fine, but when you stage conversations with yourself using your alternating handles it's not only dishonest, but downright desperate (and a little weird).

August 23, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • b4bigbang

@consumer reports: Just Paul? No one else? Or others, but Paul gets special attention?
      Please supply a 500 word detailed essay with references here as your answer.
      Thanks!

August 23, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

""'a used car salesman... sells himself' on his entire rant and ends up believing his own lies.""

funny...but that's a fair picture of Chad, if one is feeling generous. The less generous alternative is that he is indeed self-aware and simply lacks integrity. The jury is out....

August 23, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The Chard opines: "you know virtually nothing about Him, and you feel He doesnt exist.. Why expend so much energy attacking, and so little attempting to gain any understanding?"

Hmmm. Maybe, Chard, you should rephrase it this way: You know virtually nothing about them and you feel they don't exist. Why spend so much energy attacking and so little attempting to gain understanding?"

Now apply that to yourself in regard to atheists.

See?

August 23, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • Consumer Reports

Chad,
      "atheists attack the God of Abraham, VIRTUALLY EXCLUSIVELY
      fact
      why?"

Guess what... this is a Western world audience.

Here are 101 pages of atheists in India:

I'm not sure how free they are to speak there, but I'll bet that they have a thing or two to say about Vishnu, Shiva, and the rest of them...

August 23, 2012 at 11:31 pm |

@Chadwatch,

no, not without being really careful about handle and style management.

b4bigbang (while the handle is very consistent with Chad's beliefs) doesn't do this:

@Chawatch: Chad and b4bigbang may actually be the same person
      @b4bigbang: Sigh ...

==>
      Please supply a 500 word detailed essay with references ...

August 23, 2012 at 11:31 pm |

See?
      no, I would have to say no..

what piece of evidence do you feel I am not familiar with?
      that is what I accuse atheists of, namely not understanding the information on the God of Abraham (the bible).

for you to apply that to me, would mean you have some information that I havent investigated thoroughly.
      like what?

August 23, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Goodness, Chard. I must have hit a nerve. You usually can't be bothered to respond to my posts.

I don't think you know sh!t from shinola about atheists. I don't think you have a clue about what they think or believe. And furthermore, I don't think you give a ripe fvck.

August 23, 2012 at 11:41 pm |

you say: "atheists attack the God of Abraham, VIRTUALLY EXCLUSIVELY

Perhaps that's because it is mostly Abrahamists that attack us and tell us we will burn in the eternal lake of sulphur and be devoured by the eternal worm* all the time?

I seem to remember us ripping on the Scientologists during the TomKat split.

If there were Hindus who keeped telling us that Ganesh would shit on us for eternity, we'd likely pick on them too – but they have that whole reincarnation thing going.

Don't seem to find any judgmental Buddhists or Taoists picking fights with us – just sanctimonious Christians.

* I'm not sure how the eternal worm doesn't get burned by the lake of fire. I guess its like a fire retardant tapeworm.

August 23, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • Chad

@Consumer Reports "Guess what... this is a Western world audience.

Here are 101 pages of atheists in India:

=>wow, where to start..
      show me the atheist presence on Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim sites.
      there are virtually none
      why?

interesting Google "why do atheists hate christians so much"

and best of all: . all of the atheists in India can be listed on a Wikipedia page!!! PRICELESS!!

August 23, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Ooops – "keeped" that's funny. How about kept.

I'm tired.

August 23, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Chad, allow me to play your little game of cut-and-paste:
      First, you asserted, "atheists attack the God of Abraham, VIRTUALLY EXCLUSIVELY" Then you followed this with "fact" for some added (false) certainty.

Now, this is for you:

Actually you should do some anyway. Seems like you would want some ammo, but you clearly know nothing about what you are trying to fight against.

weird, right?

August 23, 2012 at 11:45 pm |

@GOPer,

incredibly irrational response.. Christians are the only ones that think you are heading in the wrong direction?
      what?

again..
      what?

Muslims think you're going to hell
      Buddhists/Hindus apparently think you're going to take a step backward and come back again as a lower form

EVERY other religion predicts a baddddddd future for you..

August 23, 2012 at 11:47 pm |

@Chad,

as soon as they attack us here, we'll take a crack at them too.

In the meantime, here you are saying "Please sir, may I have another?" and you claim not to understand why.

weird.

August 23, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

notGOP, I see what you are saying, but I also suspect The Chad is indeed slippery enough to be mindful of such details. We at Chadwatch have actually witnessed him answer under the wrong handle in the past. But, we at Chadwatch are aware of the pitfalls of confirmation bias and false pattern recognition, and thus openly admit that we may be wrong on this. Again, the jury is out...

August 23, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
    • Consumer Reports

b4bigbang,

Paul got that special attention because he was the main PR expert in the 'selling' of the new Christian religion all around the region over there. His letters to the various target audiences make up almost half of the books of the NT. I don't care to write a 500 word essay.

August 23, 2012 at 11:52 pm |

@Chad,

You're not like the loonies who are completely oblivious to their hypocrisy when they preach hate. You don't do that and we appreciate it.

August 23, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

http://www.ansirh.org/_docu ments/research/late-abortion/FetalPain.FactSheet.6-2010.pdf

August 23, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • Chad

@Rufus T. Firefly "It is time we recognized—and obliged the Muslim world to recognize—that “Muslim extremism” is not extreme among Muslims. Mainstream Islam itself represents an extremist rejection of intellectual honesty, gender equality, secular politics and genuine pluralism. The truth about Islam is as politically incorrect as it is terrifying..." Sam Harris

=>
      1. Harris is ONLY attacking muslims for their actions and NOT for being stupid to believe in Allah.
      right?
      A dramatically different attack.

2. One statement about the culture of Islam.. you are trying to say that somehow demonstrates atheists attack muslims as much as Christians?
      really?
      lol

again, the virtual absence of attacks by atheists against other religions is far more compelling..

August 23, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
    • b4bigbang

@consumer reports: Your animosity towards the apostle will be used to polish the jewels in his crown....

August 23, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Chad, before you fly off the handle, let me point out that I am well aware that Islam is Abrahamic as well. I should better have quoted your comment that referenced Christians/Jews.

It points out your ignorance a bit more specifically.

August 23, 2012 at 11:56 pm |

@Chad,

since you find it so compelling, what is your thesis as to the cause?

August 23, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
    • Consumer Reports

Chad,
      "show me the atheist presence on Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim sites.
      there are virtually none
      why?"

- They are private sites and dissenters are banned..., that's why. Free press, like we have here, generally does not exist in their regions.

" all of the atheists in India can be listed on a Wikipedia page!!! PRICELESS!!"

- Who said that's ALL of them? It's only some of the famous, declared ones.

August 23, 2012 at 11:59 pm |

@Your Exellency,

let me point out that I am well aware that Islam is Abrahamic

Chad didn't pick up on my use of Abrahamist either, but it is late.

August 23, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheese Makers

b4bigbang,

It was the used car salesman mentality of the christians that drove me away from the christian dogma. I couldn't (and still can't) get an intelligent answer from any of them that makes any sense. You guys need to get your story straight. Chad is not helping your cause.

August 24, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • Chad

@I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV "when you bait people they bite back. But you understand that. It's what you do. I'm not sure why."

=>I was looking around for a good example of baiting/trolling.. do you think this qualifies?

I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV
      Here’s my list of the top ten most irritatingly stupid ‘arguments’ that religionists make here. I need a number ten and want suggestions.

see the complete list at https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/10/controversial-mosque-opens-in-tennessee/comment-page-3/

August 24, 2012 at 12:01 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheese Makers

"Your animosity towards the apostle will be used to polish the jewels in his crown...."

That's some good cult logic there!

August 24, 2012 at 12:03 am |

@Chad,

oh yes, that's an excellent example. It seems to have served it's purpose well. It pleases me no end that you have marked it for future reference.

I'll happily paste it again someday when I get frustrated.

August 24, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • Chad

@Chad, "show me the atheist presence on Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim sites. there are virtually none why?"

@Consumer Reports "They are private sites and dissenters are banned..., that's why. Free press, like we have here, generally does not exist in their regions."

=>all muslim/hindu/buddhist sites on the internet are private..

the things I didnt know.. amazing

August 24, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

There's that bait-and-switch AGAIN.

Chad: "you are trying to say that somehow demonstrates atheists attack muslims as much as Christians?" thus, implying that you originally claimed atheists attack Muslims somewhat less than Christians.

That is miles away from what you actually said. You stated "VIRTUALLY EXCLUSIVELY" in all capital letters! Followed by the word "fact." Those are pretty straightforward superlative words, Chad, you can't really back out of those.

Are you making it clear that you simply don't actually mean what you say, no matter how emphatically you might say it?

August 24, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • Chad

@I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV "since you find it so compelling, what is your thesis as to the cause?"

=>you dont attack muslim/hindu/buddhist for believing in their god for the same reason I dont.. who cares? it's nonsense. If they want to believe that, go right ahead.
      you attack Christians/Jews for believing in the God of Abraham because He is real, and it is threatening to you.

August 24, 2012 at 12:07 am |

@Chad

"you attack Christians/Jews for believing in the God of Abraham because He is real, and it is threatening to you

Bwaaa Haaa Haaa, thanks Chad. That was a good one. It did make me laugh.

And here was me thinking that you Christians attacked atheists because you are afraid that we are right after all and when you die – nothing. No St. Peter and the Pearly Gates. No sitting at God's dirty feet. No Satan and the eternal lake of Sulphur.

August 24, 2012 at 12:11 am |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Nope, notGOP, I think this cinches it – Chad actually doesn't realize that Islam is also based on the god of Abraham.

Chad: "you dont attack muslim/hindu/buddhist ... you attack Christians/Jews for believing in the God of Abraham ..."

Chad, I thought you were the utmost authority on religious wisdom? You REALLY need to do some reading.

August 24, 2012 at 12:11 am |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

Excellent. On the very thread that The Chad starting by claiming that atheists know nothing about religion, an atheist has to explain to him the basic fact that Islam, Judaism, and Christianity are all Abrahamic religions.

You've outdone yourself, Chad.

August 24, 2012 at 12:21 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

HIgh five, guys. Masterful job!

August 24, 2012 at 12:23 am |

@Chad,

perhaps the reason we vigorously respond to the attacks of the Abrahamists, is in no small measure due to the fact that it is precisely these kind of beliefs that we have rejected as hokum.

Having turned our backs on the majority our willingness to conform like sheep is castigated. It really is purely self-defense – plus having rejected them we know exactly why we think these beliefs are nonsense.

August 24, 2012 at 12:27 am |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

not a GOPer, I agree and I think that is one of the two primary reasons that atheists are more vocal regarding Christianity:

1. (as you stated) most US atheists came from a Christian background. That is what they rescued themselves from, and thus that is what they speak out against.
      2. It is Christianity, not other religions, that is a continual threat to religious freedom.

In regard to the latter, Christians are so accustomed to having their way, that they are shocked when they find out they are not supposed to (for example) have the coach take their public high school team to church every week before a game (Georgia), and they feel so entitled that they think they are persecuted if they can't. Atheists fight Christianity because if we didn't, you guys would institute religious law in a heartbeat. We simply don't have that problem with Hinduism in the US.

August 24, 2012 at 12:43 am |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

The Chad has left the building.

August 24, 2012 at 12:49 am |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

The tilting finished and favors won, and long past the setting sun, this even's jousts are done.

It it time my gude knights and ladies to retire from the lists to pavillions warm and cushions soft.

August 24, 2012 at 12:50 am |
    • sam stone

i find it endlessly amusing that those of faith feel that people can hate something in which they do not believe. it is like they have never taken a logic class

August 24, 2012 at 7:46 am |
    • Chad

so to summarize the responses to "why do atheists hate the God of Abraham" so much
      1. We dont, that's why we continually scream at you Christians
      2. We hate all gods, it's just that only Christian bashing sites are public.. the others are all private and we're not allowed on them
      3. All the atheists live in the "western world" where Christianity is the only religion practiced
      4. Christians are the only ones that think we have a bad afterlife coming. It's not like muslims think we're going to hell, or buddhist/hindu think we're coming back as a garden snail or anything..
      5. It is Christianity, not other religions, that is a continual threat to religious freedom.(yeah.. I dont know what that means either..)

did I miss any?

August 24, 2012 at 9:36 am |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Did you miss any? I don't think you actually hit any. You did manage to provide another illustrative example of #7 on the list of dishonest practices – twisting and misrepresenting other peoples words to your advantage.

Nice try, as you say.

August 24, 2012 at 9:43 am |

did I miss yours rufus?

check out #5, it's a cut and paste from one of your posts.. did you have any others?

August 24, 2012 at 9:59 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The Chard simply can't wrap his little mind around the fact that atheists don't "hate" his god. They just can't stand people like Chard.

August 24, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Yup, since you couldn't understand number 5, you were forced to simply write it accurately rather than exaggerate or restate it in a misleading manner.

(I was referring to violating the separation of church and state, of course – I even provided an example from the news)

August 24, 2012 at 10:18 am |
    • Chad

Rufus, how would you describe the "separation of church and state", what does that mean?

August 24, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

The Chad has just been totally busted for (1) not knowing that Islam is an Abrahamic religion, and (2) purposefully misrepresenting other people's comments.

So, as expected, he plays innocent and tries to quickly steer the conversation down a different path. Fail.

If you don't know what the separation of church and state is about, for God's sake Chad, DO SOME READING.

August 24, 2012 at 11:19 am |

@Chad,

we're not for a moment taken by the notion that "Atheist B.S. watch, a public service" is anyone other than you.

Chadwatch's handle clearly had the intended effect.

August 24, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • Chad

@Rufus T. Firefly "First, you asserted, "atheists attack the God of Abraham, VIRTUALLY EXCLUSIVELY" Then you followed this with "fact" for some additional false certainty."
      @Chad "yep, what I said was accurate.. right?

==========

@Rufus T. Firefly ""It is time we recognized—and obliged the Muslim world to recognize—that “Muslim extremism” is not extreme among Muslims. Mainstream Islam itself represents an extremist rejection of intellectual honesty, gender equality, secular politics and genuine pluralism. The truth about Islam is as politically incorrect as it is terrifying..." Sam Harris
      Now, if you want to claim that Sam Harris is not a high-profile atheist then you should do some reading..."

@Chad "was Sam Harris attacking the existence of Allah, like he attacks the existence of the God of Abraham?
      or was he attacking the behavior of that group?

why does Harris relentlessly assert that the God of Abraham doesnt exist.. but never says anything about Allah?
      why does Harris relentlessly assert that the Jesus wasnt the Son of God.. but never says anything about Mohammed?

weird?

August 24, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
    • Chad

GOPer: sock puppets arent my thing..

just look at the grammar, and verbiage.

August 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm |

@Chad,

OK. I'll take your word for it.

August 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Words like 'God' and 'Allah' must go the way of 'Apollo' and 'Baal' or they will unmake our world.
      Sam Harris (The End of Faith, 2004)

Wow, Chad. That took like 2 seconds to find. Nice try, though (not really – that was sarcasm).

August 24, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

"Can you prove that Allah is not the one, true God? Can you prove that the archangel Gabriel did not visit Muhammad in his cave? Of course not. But you need not prove any of these things to reject the beliefs of Muslims as absurd. The burden is upon them to prove that their beliefs about God and Muhammad are valid. They have not done this. They cannot do this." (Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation)

No wonder you're wrong about this, Chad, these quotes are hidden from you "on the internet" and "in books."

August 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

The Chad is 0 for 3. I guess that's why he skulked away...

August 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  11. wassupUSA

It's one thing to promote your beliefs, but it's something else when you publicly attack someone else's. The left speaks of "tolerance", but are completely intolerant of anyone that thinks differently from them.
    Also, I challenge those cowards to make a billboard that attacks Islam.
    I hope Christians wake up and stopping voting for a party that consists of people that demonize them.

August 23, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • Chris

" I challenge those cowards to make a billboard that attacks Islam."

God, that gets old. It's been done repeatedly. Wake up and read the newspaper sometime, son.

August 23, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
    • Gadflie

They took that dare back in March. It and one targeting Jews were the first in this series.

August 23, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • wassupUSA

If they have, it should be reported as much as the Koran burnings.

August 24, 2012 at 12:53 am |
    • wassupUSA

August 24, 2012 at 1:01 am |
    • Chad

@Chris" I challenge those cowards to make a billboard that attacks Islam."

=>where?
      compare google searches of "atheists attack Islam" vs "atheists attack Christianity"

I mean, dont bother if you want to continue living with the illusion,, but just in case you want to know the truth..

August 24, 2012 at 10:05 am |

August 24, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • wassupUSA

Tom, the video you posted completely reiterated my comment.

"WRONG! They didn't make billboards that specifically insulted Islam. They made a sign stating that religion, in general, was a myth and claimed it was directed at Jews and Muslims. I want to see if they have th guts to create one that specifically insults Islam (as they did with Christianity). Even better, place the billboard in a nation that is predominantly Muslim."

I want them to create a billboard that attacks specific teachings of Islam (e.g. attacks against Muhammad), as they did with Christianity. Until they do, I will call them cowards.

August 24, 2012 at 11:51 am |

You funny.

perhaps you should google images of "Christian Billboard" and see Christ's love for atheists shining through his followers – not!

Anti-God is Anti-American
      Anti-American is Treason
      Traitors Lead to Civil War

Why Do Atheists Hate America?

ATHEIST – Someone who believes that nothing made everything – A Scientific Impossibility!

August 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm |

Anti-God is Anti-American
      Anti-American is Treason
      Traitors Lead to Civil War
      Why Do Atheists Hate America?

@Chad "those are very unusual, the result of a specific congregation no doubt. You have an uphill battle trying to convince anyone that atheists are being persecuted in a similar way to the targeted campaigns by atheists against Christians.

and, as you no doubt found out, googling "Christian Billboard" showed far more negative billboards from atheists than Christians.. lol

========

@Chad "I definitely agree with this one, as I'm sure you do too. that's your entire philosophy (up to the hyphen), correct?

August 25, 2012 at 12:33 am |
  12. 2357

When the son of God took sin upon himself, he had him killed and dipped in hellfire. And now he's coming after you. He holds the off switch to your life. What makes you so bold and brash, if not the demons you've invited into your heart? There will be no audience at the judgement to applaud your mockery. Your sense of shelter is an illusion

August 23, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • tallulah13

There is no evidence of the supernatural world with which you threaten. Sorry.

August 24, 2012 at 12:07 am |
  13. More Atheist Bologna

There was a recent post pointing out that very few great artists in world history have been Atheists. The rabid group of "people who just lack belief" and have NO OTHER AGENDA, LOL, responded by claiming that a few major Artists in world history have been Atheists. The primary names mentioned were: Pablo Picasso, Raphael, Frank Lloyd Wright, Claude Monet and Henri Matisse.

Sorry, Atheists: Wright, Monet and Matisse were Deists. Anyone who cares to do a little research can verify this for themselves.
    Raphael was a member of the Catholic Church who attemped to gain entrance to the College of Cardinals. The only "evidence" for his being an atheist is one sentence by the Renaissance historian Vasari. It is certainly not clear that Varsari knew anything about the ture religious beliefs of Raphael. Vasari is known to have embellished much of his "Histories" and this line probably simply means that Raphael was simply unorthodox in his belief system.

If you go to some of the rabid Atheist websites, you will see all sorts of famous people described as Atheists: Albert Einstein, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, etc.

None of these men werre Atheists. They were all, like Voltaire and Spinoza, Deists. A Deist is NOT AN ATHEIST.

The OP was right. There are almost no major artists in world history who were Atheists. Pablo Picasso, yes. Take Picasso, please. The man was an Atheist and probably a bi-polar sociopath to boot.

Sorry, John Lennon does not qualify as a "major world artist".

August 23, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • Gadflie

Einstein specifically described himself as an agnostic actually. And, by what definition is John Lennon not a "major world artist"?

August 23, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

Real art inspires deep thought and beautifies our human experience. What is called art today is a mockery to all those who lived before us and leaving their inspiring work to bless our lives with! Much of what's called art today is worthless rubbish.
      John Lennon was lacking much as an artist.

August 23, 2012 at 9:40 pm |

@gadflie,

Albert Einstein is very careful to define himself as a believer in Spinoza's God – a form of deism.

Baloney is quite correct on this datapoint.

August 23, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

You may not like Mr. Lennon, but this might prove to be accurate:

Christianity will go.. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first — rock and roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me. – John Lennon

August 23, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

Sad to say, but the old John put his foot in his mouth too soon. He knows it now!

August 23, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I wonder who will remember you 25 years after you die, Prissy.

I wonder who even remembers you now.

August 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You liar. How about the musicians I posted? Did you just "forget" about them?

You're a disingenuous moron.

August 23, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • Mark From Middle River

John Lennon I also think was not that much of an artist but that is in essence art. Each to his or her own. What moves one might not move another. Some love the Beatles... Except for a single son...I can not stand them.

But the opening guitar rift from AC/DC "For those about to rock"..... Pure musical art. 😀

I am split of the Rolling Stones.

August 23, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • b4bigbang

@gadfly: Are you implying that Einstein avoided labeling himself 'atheist', preferring 'agnostic'?
      And if this is so, what, in your opinion would cause him to do this?

August 23, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • tallulah13

Huh. Well I love to paint and draw, and I've made my living as a graphic designer for over 20 years. I may just be a hack, but I still create art. You don't need fame to be an artist. And you sure don't need religion.

August 24, 2012 at 12:15 am |
    • jim

What a tiered old argument! When there is no freedom of religion you can't claim every citizen as being a true follower. No one wants to be put to death by the religious crackpots.

August 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • tallulah13

Prism is mistaken. The "greatness" of art is subjective. Every individual has their own opinion about what is brilliant and what is trash. We are all our own authority.

For instance, I personally believe that Thomas Kinkade's work is little more than mass-produced tripe cynically aimed at American christians. However, those who love his work believe it to be beautiful and spiritually meaningful, and it is not my place to tell them their personal emotions are wrong. There are artists who will be celebrated and remembered more than others, but with art, as with most things, beauty is indeed within the eye of the beholder.

August 24, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • J.W

Without God we would not have the beautiful music of Nicki Minaj.

August 24, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
    • tallulah13

Eye of the beholder, J.W. Eye of the beholder.

August 24, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
  14. Just a man...

MORMONISM : God Is A Space Alien (What would you rather a "god" be.) Baptizes Dead People (How is that wackier than baptizing living ones?) CHRISTIANITY : Sadistic God (Would you then believe in a god if it were NOT sadistic? And, since you claim God doesn't exist, how can it be sadistic?)

Just one reason why I'd never join American Atheists.

ATHEISM : Simply Mediocre

August 23, 2012 at 7:37 pm |

@Just a man

A lot of people don't agree with David Silverman. I certainly don't give him any money.

But that doesn't make me want to believe in God.

August 23, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the message on those boards either. I would think that something more thought-provoking and supportive might be more effective, and make fewer enemies. Maybe something like, "It's okay to question your religion. Ask the hard questions, and insist on straight answers" or "Doubting God? You're not alone." I'm sure there's lots of good ideas out there, but these billboards are just alienating and immature, and my do more harm than good to their cause.

August 23, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
  15. Hitchens

What can be asserted without proof, can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

August 23, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • Hitchens

Dead guy, throat rotted out on him after years of blasphemy and abuse. Relatively young man early 60's as compared to the servant of God, Rev. Billy Graham recently hospitalized in his 90's. Think about it.

August 23, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Roger

To the second Hitchens that has to be the most illogical argument ever, what a stupid thing to say.

August 23, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • Hitchens

Illogical and strangely true. Go figure.

August 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • Roger

It's not true at all and here I thought lying was a sin in your religion.

August 23, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Mass Debater

Dead child, throat rotted out on her after only a year of cancer. Relatively young woman early 20's as compared to the servant of God, Rev. Billy Graham recently hospitalized in his 90's. Think about it. God loves to kill.

August 23, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • Observer

Hitchens,

He lived twice as long as Jesus.

August 23, 2012 at 7:59 pm |

POW!!!!

Observer scores!

August 23, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • Hitchens

Jesus still lives , hitch rots in hell. Go figure

August 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • tallulah13

Of course, the christian "hitchens" doesn't have a shred of proof about heaven or hell or god or anything supernatural. He likes to think that he will go to heaven some day, but in all likelihood, he will die, decompose (or be cremated) and be forgotten. Just like the rest of us.

August 24, 2012 at 12:20 am |
  16. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things:

August 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • Jesus

Prayer does not, you are such a LIAR. You have NO proof it changes anything! A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work and their children died. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested.

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs .

August 23, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • Hitchens

James Randi has exposed all you religious trolls. Provide proof that prayers work and win one million dollars from James Randi Educational foundation. Nuff said. Religous trolls are liars and frauds, just like Pope Jesus.

August 23, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
    • Hitchens

James Randi has exposed some frauds. The main problem as I see it is that those who reply do not have a clue as to what prayer is. Randi,a slight of hand magician, has never done any work of any kind regarding prayer.

August 23, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • Dan

Yep it sure does to those that believe it. However it has never EVER regenerated a lost limb. I guess all amputees are unworthy of your "god's" grace to help them with a new limb. Wonderful prayer. What a 50/50 cop out...

August 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • truth be told

Do you have confirmed proof of that Dan?

August 23, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • PARROT ALERT

Dude calling himself 'Jesus' is a PARROT!

August 23, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Dude who calls himself Jesus has a reflexive habit of pasting the same resonse everytime he sees the 'prayer changes things' troll.

So by your definition the 'prayer changes things' troll is a "parrot" too?

August 23, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
    • PARROT ALERT

Yes he is, a regular nuisance!

August 23, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Chad

amazing

atheists dont do that though.. why?

weird.

August 23, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • john

August 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • Hitchens

Chad crybaby, respect is earned. bible is full of hate towards non christians. Jesus makes it worse and promises an ever lasting hell for non christian, what a joker.

John 15-6
      If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

August 23, 2012 at 5:47 pm |

@Chad,

why do you assume most atheists know nothing about religion?

Most of us who post here were likely raised in a Christian tradition and after experiencing that though childhood have rejected it in adulthood as hokum.

Given that for many this process takes some 'soul' searching and usually study of comparative religion, it is no surprise that atheists score rather higher than the average believer in religious knowledge.

August 23, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • Patrick

Just like Christians spend so much time and money against gays which they show they know nothing about.

August 23, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • Roger

Chad I've read some of your posts but after just a few it became obvious you are not that well educated.

August 23, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • Jeebus

Chad, you're just wrong. Atheists consistently score higher than most denominations in religious knowledge tests (along with Jews): http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/09/28/us-religion-survey-idUSTRE68R43320100928. The problem is that some Atheists become as righteous as fundamentalists of any religion. Its part of human nature. I'm an Atheist who was raised a Catholic, but I came to my own conclusion that there was no reason for me to believe in a God of any kind – it just doesn't fit in with my system of logic. But I cannot speak for anyone else. You are more than welcome to believe in whatever makes you happy. I won't interfere with your life and I would hope that you wouldn't interfere with mine. But it never works out that way with politics. We have people who believe they know more than everyone else about something that is fundamentally unknowable, and they insist on arguing about it. I think the political debate should be about economics and other issues that are, at their heart, much more debatable. Obviously, the billboards are placed so that people will find them incendiary, so why is everyone surprised?

August 23, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Mass Debater

Chad, now you are being blatantly dishonest. You know full well that the majority of atheists, especially the ones posting here, are not only very familiar with your beliefs and your bible, but often more so than the Christians who claim to have faith in it.

And I have no idea how much money any atheists have supposedly spent on these pointless billboards (they do not represent my or even a majority of atheists who almost by definition refuse adhereance to any one group) but I do know it's a tiny tiny fraction of the amount spent by Christian groups that sell their faith in bulk the world over.

August 23, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

August 23, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • scatheist

August 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • Chad

@scatheist "Is that a joke? Christians totally avoid the parts of the bible they don't like."

@Chad "such as?"

August 23, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • Chad

@Tom, Tom, the Other One "Chad, I hope this doesn't mean that you feel that we are all anything but friends here. I've enjoyed our occasional discussions."

@Chad "I havent figured you out yet, you seem to ask the same question over and over and over. I havent figured out yet if you are just pulling my chain and continually sending me off to collect information endlessly which is never consumed, or what..

August 23, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

Chad, you know very well that polls show atheists on average actually have a better knowledge of religion than believers do. I know you know that because I have seen people point the studies out to you (and it's not like you would miss them, one of them was a pretty mainstream headline just a year or so back).

So, I have to agree with others here that you are being blatantly dishonest. You know very well that atheists on average are just as knowledgeable about religion as believers are, and that this is largely a result of having investigated it pretty thoroughly. Shame on you.

August 23, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Chad

In your original post, you make the claim, and all you have to ever say when people bring up things in the bible or christianity you disagree with is say "nope, go read it again, nope read it again, nope read it again".
      Why don't you say what you really mean, that people don't agree with your interpretation and spin on christianity, therefore they're wrong and need to agree with you or they're just stupid.

August 23, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • Chad

@Jeebus "you're just wrong. Atheists consistently score higher than most denominations in religious knowledge tests (along with Jews): http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/09/28/us-religion-survey-idUSTRE68R43320100928."

@Chad "that test was on ALL religions, only a portion (~30%) was specific to Christian/Jew. It WAS NOT on biblical knowledge"

August 23, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • Observer

Chad,

Yes, Christians did know the least.

August 23, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

Observer, you are injecting those facty things into this again. Perhaps you need to do some reading....

August 23, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Chad

Here's the quiz, how much of it has to do with biblical knowledge?

1. Which Bible figure is most closely as sociated with leading the exodus from Egypt?
      2. What was Mother Teresa's religion?
      3. Which of the following is NOT one of the Ten Commandments?
      4. When does the Jewish Sabbath begin?
      5. Is Ramadan…?
      6. Which of the following best describes the Catholic teaching about the bread and wine used for Communion?
      7. In which religion are Vishnu and Shiva central figures?
      8. Which Bible figure is most closely associated with remaining obedient to God despite suffering?
      9. What was Joseph Smith's religion?
      10. According to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to lead a class in prayer, or not?
      11. According to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to read from the Bible as an example of literature, or not?
      12. What religion do most people in Pakistan consider themselves?
      13. What was the name of the person whose writings and actions inspired the Protestant Reformation?
      14. Which of these religions aims at nirvana, the state of being free from suffering?
      15. Which one of these preachers participated in the period of religious activity known as the First Great Awakening?

August 23, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • Chad

@john "I studied to be a minister... To believe in God you must accept that magic is real. Yes magic. Nuff Said."

@Chad "so, what was it that caused you to fall away?"

August 23, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

This is classic Chad bait and switch tactics. Here is your original claim, "I find it endlessly intriguing that atheists spend so much time and money hating and opposing something they know nothing about."

You said nothing about Christianity or the Bible, you are referring to what atheists oppose, which is religion.

Now, that you are being proved demonstrably wrong – that atheist know more about religion than believers on average – you are changing your story and trying to run down a different path. You are one slippery character, Chad.

August 23, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Chad

What does your little list have to do with anything? It has little to do with actual doctrine or biblical accuracy (which you constantly avoid), and more to do with "guess that religion".

August 23, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

It is interesting, given that The Chad puts himself out there as the only one who has any real expertise in the bible, that The Chad demonstrates over and over that he is completely unaware of (or completely disinterested in) that "not bearing false witness" passage.

August 23, 2012 at 8:33 pm |

@Chad,

Thank you for referencing the Pew Forum RELIGION questionnaire.

It never proported to be a BIBLE questionnaire and nor – as Rufus pointed out, did you remotely mention the bible in your original post.

Atheists generally know a lot more about world religions than Christians do. I'm sure we'd suck at Jeff Foxworthy's bible quotes TV game show, but quoting chapter and verse is not the same thing as familiarity with the tenets.

August 23, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • Chad

@Rufus T. Firefly " you are referring to what atheists oppose, which is religion."

LOL
      the only problem is, the deafening silence from atheists regarding every other religion beside Christian/Jew.

funny try though 🙂

August 23, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I can't believe Chad reposted exactly the same post – with one exception, the addition of "the Judeo-Christian God" as the something we atheists purportedly 'know nothing about'.

August 23, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • Chad

always looking to communicate in a clear and precise manner...

August 23, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh? Do tell! Then you should be frothing at the mouth to tell me whether you've managed to provide any evidence that your god is connected to the Big Bang or evolution, Chard.

But you never do. Why is that?

August 23, 2012 at 11:14 pm |

@Chad,

OK, thanks for 'explaining' it. Here was me thinking you wanted a mulligan after the pasting you took here.

weird

August 23, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

DId the Chard get a beat-down AGAIN? Say it ain't so, Joe!

What a surprise!

August 23, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

At least a baker's dozen posters attacked his thesis without bothering to answer his question – which appeared to be rhetorical anyway.

So he started it up all over again. Frankly I don't understand the purpose.

August 23, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

He's trying to avoid having s3x with his wife, using the excuse that 'someone's wrong on the Internet, honey."

August 23, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

In that vein I had a really nasty quip lined up related to his postings yesterday on polygamy and incest – he was pretty preoccupied with that.

I just don't want to do it now, feels too much like kicking someone when they're down.

August 23, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Aww, come on! Don't pull any punches here. You know damn well the Chard wouldn't hesitate to go for your throat if the shoe was on the other foot.

August 23, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

No, can't do it. At least not today.

Maybe some other day if he starts up with the polygamy and incest again.

August 23, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Chad, allow me to play your little game of cut and paste:

Now, this is for you:

weird, right?

August 23, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
  18. Hitchens

Christians suffer from Schizophrenia, a mental disorder that makes it hard to: Tell the difference between what is real and not real.

August 23, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • Hitchens

Only the Christian has eyes to see and ears to hear what reality is.

August 23, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
  19. The Dude

Ugh... More religous hatred. Look, not saying that Atheists don't have some points, but petty insults and anger are not "reason". Take the moral high ground, people. You don't have to be any religion to simply care for one another and be polite. You'd be surprised what you can learn from others, no matter the belief.

August 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • john

See you call it hatred but it's not. Religious people are making fantastic claims about the nature of the universe. They have the burden of proof not Atheists. Besides Christians don't respect other people's beliefs anyway. The Bible is very clear about having to pick a side. If I told you that I worshipped the Easter bunny for instance, would you "respect" my belief? Would you even tolerate it if you thought I was serious or would you have me committed? What if I wanted Easter Bunny prayer in school? After all, how can we expect the bunny to bless this country with his eggs if we don't pray? (God = Easter Bunny) Get it?

August 23, 2012 at 5:56 pm |
    • JecBeans

Not sure that I understand most of the posts here – we all have different beliefs (or non-beliefs). So if you believe in God, the Easter Bunny – whatever. That's your choice. You don't want to believe in God. Don't.

I think we just need to agree to disagree and move on already. I'm up for debate, but these comments here aren't debate – they just barbs back and forth.

August 23, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
    • Mike

Religious people make false claims about non-religious people. Furthermore religious people tend to be more judgmental than none religious people.

August 24, 2012 at 3:31 am |
  20. Beatrice

There are very interesting people who believe in God who made a difference in the world: Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King... There is so much stupidity coming from some religious group, I understand the anger of nonbeliever. But atheist shouldn't put everybody in the same basket, we are not all stupid!

August 23, 2012 at 3:11 pm |

@Beatrice,

who says we do? Many of the self-professed atheists who have posted here, don't like these billboards. I'd like to say most, but I haven't (and won't) count 6,000 posts to make sure.

Some condone them as being no different to the anti-atheist billboards erected by evangelical groups, but in my opinion, that's no excuse.

August 23, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • ME II

"But atheist shouldn't put everybody in the same basket,..."
      Are all atheists in the same basket of putting "everybody in the same basket"?

August 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • john

I like the billboard. It does not attack anybody. It simply re-states the positions of the religions in question. Further, you don't have to be stupid to be religious. You just have to be born to religious parents. 99 percent of people believe what their parents believed. It's that simple.

August 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • scatheist

You all believe in unsuppoted fairy tales.

August 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm |