home
RSS
August 17th, 2012

Conservatives see Family Research Council attack as more evidence of what they call war on religion

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

Washington (CNN) - For many conservative Christians, this week's Family Research Council shooting that wounded a security guard and that the FBI is investigating as a possible act of domestic terrorism was hardly a one-off attack.

“It's easy to brush aside this incident as one act of a crazy man until you consider the past two weeks,” activist Dana Loesch wrote on the conservative site Breitbart.com in a piece titled “A literal war on religion?”

Like other conservatives and officials at the Family Research Council, Loesch tied the shooting to recent criticism of Chick-fil-A, the restaurant chain that recently came under attack for remarks its CEO made that appeared to oppose same-sex marriage. CEO Dan Cathy said he supported "the biblical definition of the family unit."

Conservatives decried the outspoken opposition to Chick-fil-A - which included some high-profile American mayors saying the restaurant chain wasn’t welcome in their cities - as evidence of the purported war on religion and religious liberty.

The suspect in the Family Research Council attack, Floyd Lee Corkins II, was carrying 15 Chick-fil-A sandwiches in his backpack - along with a pistol and extra ammunition - and told a security guard, “I don’t like your politics,” before opening fire Wednesday, according to a criminal complaint filed by authorities.

“The Family Research Council is affiliated with Chick-Fil-A,” wrote Loesch, who is a CNN contributor, on Breitbart. “Chick-Fil-A came under fire due to the free speech of CEO Dan Cathy by militant anti-Christian and anti-free speech activists.”

The American Family Association, a conservative evangelical group, also tied Wednesday's attack to what it said was a broader liberal offensive.

"This near-tragic incident marks an alarming turn in our cultural battle over values," the group said in a statement Thursday. "The left’s war on religion and Christianity has now gone from symbolic to literal."

For decades, conservatives have alleged a liberal war on religion, dating the effort to the 1963 Supreme Court decision that outlawed state-sanctioned school prayer.

Conservatives renewed their argument this year after an Obama administration rule that requires employees to be given free contraception coverage in health insurance plans, even if they work for a Catholic institution.

A recent campaign ad from presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney says that "President Obama used his healthcare plan to declare war on religion, forcing religious institutions to go against their faith.”

In a press conference Thursday, Family Research Council President Tony Perkins pinned blame for the attack partly on the Southern Poverty Law Center, which had labeled the council a hate group over its pronunciations against homosexuality.

While saying the alleged gunman was ultimately responsible, Perkins said that he "was given a license to shoot an unarmed man by organizations like the Southern Poverty Law Center that have been reckless in labeling organizations hate groups because they disagree with them on public policy."

“The cornerstone of our society is freedom of speech and freedom of religion,” Perkins said. “If we lose those, we lose our future.”

In an interview with Fox News Channel, Perkins framed the incident as an attack on Christians everywhere.

“Terrorism is designed to intimidate, to drive people back and make them fearful,” he said, adding that the incident was designed to scare “the Family Research Council and by extension family values supporters and Christians across the nation.”

Liberal groups said efforts to paint the Family Research Council incident as an attack on religion were disingenuous.

“Religious Right groups have long equated any criticism of their positions or tactics as attacks on their freedom of speech and religion,” the group People for the American Way said in a post Friday on its “Right Wing Watch” site. “Now they are taking it a step further to say that critics must stop calling out their hateful rhetoric and naming it as such. ...

“FRC was not labeled a hate group because of a simple policy disagreement, as FRC's backers would have you believe,” the post continued. “The SPLC (Southern Poverty Law Center) cited very specific examples of FRC's wildly inflammatory anti-gay language."

But Erick Erickson, a conservative blogger and CNN contributor, framed this week's attack as part of a campaign against Christianity that extends past American shores.

"Christianity has become an acceptable target for an increasingly secular western world," he wrote in an e-mail message. "In much of Europe and Canada, preaching orthodox Christian tenets about gay lifestyles, etc. can see a preacher punished by the state.

"While the left routinely accuses mainstream Christian leaders of intolerance," he continued, "what many Christians see in turn is a secular media and society showing increasingly open hostility toward Christians for believing what secular society considers incorrect values."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity

1. MaryLeaky

God is able to defend his cause. The devil is a liar and we will not be silenced. I would rather die than deny the truth of the living word of God.

My prayer is that God will reveal hinself to those who are in the valley of decision, whose eyes have been blinded to the truth. As the days of Noah, so shall it be when the end comes. Just give him a try, you will never regret. You can can overcome whatever you thought you coul dnever overcome. He can deliver from the chains of addictions, desires of the fresh, unbelief and all ungodliness. God open our eyes, that we may see.

August 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

August 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • ME II

Sorry, but apparently you aren't praying hard enough.

August 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • nofaith

Sounds like a bad line from a Stephione King novel.

August 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • JWT

It's not an issue as there are no gods.

August 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • saneCanadian

Mary Leaky alright. Spilling brains.

August 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • sam stone

wow.....desires of the fresh.....save me jeebus

August 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • nofaith

I go to the beach and look at the sunset while holding my wife's hand. That's looking at the face of god. I don't need religion to tell me if that is right or wrong, or how I should walk with my wife, or how I should look at the sunset. All religion does is get in the way of our innate appreciateion for the wonderful world around us.

August 17, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • nofaith

That was supposed to be "appreciation" in my last post – sorry for the mis-spellings 🙂

August 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
  2. RayJacksonMS

Christians are a bunch of hate mongering bigots like all cult followers. How dare they complain about the recent trend of others finally doing unto them as they have always done unto others. Maybe after a few more shooting like this one they'll be less gleeful in their warmongering, murders, and oppression of others. After all they seem awful worried after just one of received an equal amount of hate as the FRC has put out.

August 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  3. Joe B.

So all your anti-religious bigots, the bottom line is: they had it coming.

Thanks got it.

August 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • cedar rapids

nah thats not the bottom line at all, and by the way...bearing false witness is a no-no, you know that right?

August 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  4. Ray

Since we will enter the age of Aquarius soon (dec21 ) either Jesus has till then to show up, or he's already been here and gone(J. Hendrix)and we all missed the boat!!! Hail Atlantis!!

August 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  5. Scott Pilgrim

I would agree that Christianity is one of the "acceptable targets" still left today for people to attack. Just read the comments here. I don't necessarily think that this was a "war on religion" movement though. The sooner we all just let people believe what it is they want to believe without attacking them (and that goes to some mean-spirited atheists on here too), the better.

August 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • cedar rapids

"The sooner we all just let people believe what it is they want to believe without attacking them"

except people like the FRC attempt to influence and dicatet how other people live their lives by pushing a christian view on legislation rather than keeping a personal faith, personal.

August 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • jamest297

Well, I'll leave them alone to believe what they choose to believe if they will the rest of us alone trying to tell us what to believe.

August 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Scott Pilgrim

Well cedar, I never advocated them either. I don't think what they're doing is right, just like I don't think people on here throwing the term "sky-fairy" around is right either. As a society we all just need to live and let live.

August 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Keep your hands off my guns

Pilgrim, your general sentiment makes sense: letting people believe what they want. Your particular stab against "mean spirited atheists" however disqualifies you from further discussion. You do exactly what you accuse atheists of doing. You are a very mean spirited narrow minded little one. And yes, typical christian whining. The only target left? Give me a break. I could name examples of violence against gays, other religious people, other political views and other cultures, coming directly from the hypocritical christian right wing. No, not all christians act like that, but you seem to fit the mold of "mean spirited".
      And people like you think we would really want to spend eternity with the likes of you? Arrrrgh, yuk.

August 17, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • nofaith

The reason that christians are "under attack" is not because of what they believe, but because they are trying to legislate thier beliefs to force the rest of us to follow them. Religion (and christianity in particular) is a shoddy product "sold" at the point of a sword. Back off and we'll do the same. No sane person wants to experience or hear about violence like this, but if the christian right insists on maintaining their "take no prisoners" approach to social issues I fear more and more people will feel threatened enough to engage in the unnecessary, unproductive behavior seen in this story.

August 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Me

Umm, guns? What sheltered world did you grow up in where 'mean-spirited' is a stab? Are you serious? I bet you weren't allowed to say 'fart' when you were a child...

August 17, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  6. Keep your hands off my guns

Now, now children. This incident has nothing to do with anything. It's just an example of guns don't shoot people, people shoot people and the guy's first amendment rights. Oh, and his 2nd amendment rights. Yes? It's an isolated case. Don't read too much into it. Nobody is making war on your religion. This is just another one of those typical American shootings that we're soooo used to. ...........UNLESS we all get tired of too many guns and nutcases around and we DO SOMETHING about ALL Those GUNS> Amen.

August 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  7. Andy Smith

Where is the outrage about the attack at a Sikh place of worship in Wisconsin? Isn't that a "war on religion" or does "war on religion" only apply to Christianity?

August 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • cedar rapids

when these guys talk, they only mean christianity, they dont care about sikhs, muslims or anyone else.

August 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • Keep your hands off my guns

Great point you make, Andy. It's always me, me, me and my Christian religion. What about other religions? What about other people, simply. Maybe this is not a war but a disease in this country: too many guns available for too many nut cases.

August 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

Christians vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of theirs. What a crock!

August 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Me

I recently read an article about that very thing. A 'war on religion', but it included all religions, and spoke about the tragedy in the Sikh community. But it was on FoxNews, so according to most people leaving comments here, it's right-wing garbage not worth my time.

CNN would never give up the opportunity to single out Christianity in order to make it a target. Duh.

Blind allegiance is what is fueling the hate from both sides, left and right, religious and athiest, etc. Then again, bi-partisanship is a myth, right?

Can't we all just get along?

August 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  8. wm

Why not? Religion has been making war on us for centuries.

August 17, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  9. cedar rapids

“Chick-Fil-A came under fire due to the free speech of CEO Dan Cathy by militant anti-Christian and anti-free speech activists"

"Perkins said that he "was given a license to shoot an unarmed man by organizations like the Southern Poverty Law Center that have been reckless in labeling organizations hate groups because they disagree with them on public policy. The cornerstone of our society is freedom of speech and freedom of religion,” Perkins said. “If we lose those, we lose our future.”

But Perkins, the SPLC were exercising their right of free speech in labelling you a hate group. Make your mind up here.

August 17, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

"Came under fire from people exercising their freedom of speech, so its hardly anti-free speech activists then is it? "
      came under fire because they put their money where their mouth is. they donate massive amounts of money toward bigotry. they invest money in hate. came under fire? haha. just like they expressed freedom of speech - so are the people protesting them. what's wrong with that? oh, you want chick fil-a to have freedom of speech, but no one should be able to say anything against what they say? ridiculous. think before you type.

August 17, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • cedar rapids

erm, you may want to reread what i wrote bootyfunk.

August 17, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  10. William Demuth

What this country needs is a really scary militant Gay militia.

Imagine something like a cross between the Black Panthers and The Village People.

All we need is a really wacko sounding name.

Any suggestions?

August 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm |

Pink Panthers?

August 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm |

The Navy Squeals?

August 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • ME II

Aren't the Village People scary enough?

August 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I always thought T. Roosevelt's "Rough Riders" sounded kind of gay. But I think the name is already taken for a brand of condoms made in Malaysia .

August 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • asdf

The Mercenary Maries.

August 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • Hmmm

The Back Panters...

August 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm |

The Dagger of Dionysus

August 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm |

Tom

I like it!

August 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

the secret hideout where they meat is called The Steaming Manhole.

August 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm |

Spectacular Operations
      Sea-men (of course)

August 17, 2012 at 1:56 pm |

The Nittany Lions?

August 17, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • jamest297

GREAT question and I love the replies up to the moment –

August 17, 2012 at 1:59 pm |

Jerry Sandusky's Kids?

August 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • William Demuth

What about their all Lesbian Division?

The Girls Gym Teachers?

August 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@William,

Love it, what a concept!

the Pride Liberation Front
      the GLAAD Revolutionary Army
      the Friends of Dorothy Brigade
      the Pink Panthers
      the Social Justice League (think of the tights)

there are many combinations that would include pejoratives. I'll avoid them here.

August 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm |

I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I like the tights reference.

I see uniforms akin to a synchronized swim teams!

August 17, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • Ting

Use Tom's suggestion and change Teddy's last name to Haggard.

August 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm |

Militia Ethridge?

(saw that the other day)

August 17, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Rogered Rangers
      The Queen's Own Regiment (no, that one is real)

August 17, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

The Queer Avengers
      The Queens Regiment or The Queen's Gown Regiment
      Camp Crusaders

August 17, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • William Demuth

The Royal Canadian Lumberjacks (Tip of the hat to the circus!)

August 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Sturm-und-Drang Troopers

August 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Mary's Marauders
      The Boy Scouts (no, that one's taken)

I'm trying hard to stay away from references to show tunes, and words like Nancy and the more directly pejorative terms. It's hard coming up with something that is simultaneously both camp and menacing. (Which if you think about it, is the whole purpose of camp.)

August 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm |

I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I agree! I know a few gay folk that would make this a party game!

You want to get the message across with some subtlety

August 17, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@William,

know a few gay folk that would make this a party game! Indeed.

and they wouldn't be the least bit afraid of using the fa-, dy- and po- words, where I am much more reluctant. These words would be misinterpreted here as either deliberatly pejorative, or offensive rather than ironic.

August 17, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • My belly hurts

You guys are nuts, stop it. My colleagues are looking at my office, I am laughing so loud I can't take it anymore.
      The Twinkies
      The Hung Squat
      Fella.tio.ship of the Ring
      Backdoor Boys?

August 17, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • My belly hurts

I am begging forgiveness from the gay community. We are just using this as example of 'making fun of paranoid fanatics" so, I mean no harm. my apology.

August 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • sam stone

The Brown Panthers?

August 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Wrath of Summer Stock
      Drama Commandos
      Queens own Dragoons

August 17, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  11. Bootyfunk

"Rather, they say the incident is the latest evidence in what they allege is a growing war on religion from the left, an offensive they say extends from the Obama White House down to the liberal grass roots and even foreign governments."

these people are DISGUSTING. when a religious idiot goes shooting up an abortion clinic or when the KKK (a christian organization) terrorizes people i don't hear them saying it's religion attacking others. some maniac with a gun has nothing to do with the religious/secular debate.

August 17, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

amen!

August 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  12. Bryan R

Good. We need a war on religion.

August 17, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  13. Colin

Dear Family Research Council:

God Here.

First, I do not exist. If I did, I would hate you for being so fvcking stupid. I would probably smite you. The concept of a 13,700,00,000 year old being, capable of creating the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies, monitoring simultaneously the thoughts and actions of the 7 billion human beings on this planet is ludicrous.

Second, if I did, I would have left you a book a little more consistent, timeless and independently verifiable than the collection of Iron Age Middle Eastern mythology you call the Bible. Hell, I bet you cannot tell me one thing about any of its authors or how and why it was compiled with certain writings included and others excluded, nor how it has been edited over the centuries, yet you cite it for the most extraordinary of supernatural claims.

Thirdly, when I sent my “son” (whatever that means, given that I am god and do not mate) to Earth, he would have visited the Chinese, Ja.panese, Europeans, Russians, sub-Saharan Africans, Australian Aboriginals, Mongolians, Polynesians, Micronesians, Indonesians and native Americans, not just a few Jews. He would also have exhibited a knowledge of something outside of the Iron Age Middle East.

Fourthly, I would not spend my time hiding, refusing to give any tangible evidence of my existence, and then punish those who are smart enough to draw the natural conclusion that I do not exist by burning them forever. That would make no sense to me, given that I am the one who elected to withhold all evidence of my existence in the first place.

Fifthly, in the same vein, I would not make about 5% of the human population gay, then punish them for being that way. In fact, I wouldn’t care about how humans have $ex at all, given that I created all of the millions of millions of species on the planet, all of whom are furiously reproducing all the time. Human $ex would be of no interest to me, given that I can create Universes. Has it ever occurred to you that your obsession with making rules around human $ex is an entirely human affair?

Sixth, I would have smited all you Christian activists, and all evangelicals and fundamentalists long before this. You people drive me nuts. You are so small minded and speak with such false authority. Many of you still believe in the talking snake nonsense from Genesis. I would kill all of you for that alone and burn you for an afternoon (burning forever is way too barbaric for me to even contemplate).

Seventh, the whole idea of members of one species on one planet surviving their own physical deaths to “be with me” is utter, mind-numbing nonsense. Grow up. You will die. Get over it. I did. Hell, at least you had a life. I never even existed in the first place.

Eighth, I do not read your minds, or “hear your prayers” as you euphemistically call it. There are 7 billion of you. Even if only 10% prayed once a day, that is 700,000,000 prayers. This works out at 8,000 prayers a second – every second of every day. Meanwhile I have to process the 100,000 of you who die every day between heaven and hell. Dwell on the sheer absurdity of that for a moment.

Finally, the only reason you even consider believing in me is because of where you were born. Had you been born in India, you would likely believe in the Hindu gods, if born in Tibet, you would be a Buddhist. Every culture that has ever existed has had its own god(s) and they always seem to favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams and prejudices. What, do you think we all exist? If not, why only yours?

Look, let’s be honest with ourselves. There is no god. Believing in me was fine when you thought the World was young, flat and simple. Now we know how enormous, old and complex the Universe is.

Move on – get over me. I did.

God

August 17, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

thanks for clearing that up.

August 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

well said, colin.

August 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • Scott Pilgrim

I saw you post this a month ago. Get new material. Actually, do some more productive than ram your views down someone's throat.

August 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • jamest297

RAOTFLMFAO

August 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • jamest297

@ Scott Pilgrim

I see you are having a crisis of faith my son. So what if Colin's material is all of one month old. The message of dog is over 4000 years old and it has not been allowed or permitted to chance by even one dialectic mark since then. Capiche – PROFESSOR?

August 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • nofaith

Nice! Thanks God 🙂

August 17, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Keep your hands off my guns

Pilgrim, WHY should he get NEW material???? You have been blabbing the same old same old junk for 2,000 years, and you don't even allow updates and new interpretations, amendments and so on?
      Geeeeeeze you really don't see how you wallow in a mud hole, same mud over and over.

August 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  14. Tracy

when a conservative christian kills, oops.. he just snapped... simply crazy... but one guy goes after a conservative its a "war" And they use the "hate crime" laws that we have worked so hard for (and they always criticized)
    You know what I Hate? I hate what these corrupt and evil men have done to our country (and world) for their own greed and power using God as a shield. Evangelicals ...much like Radical Imams and Warlike- Rabbis are all in it for themselves and have poisoned our world. Like that creepy guy "Kony" in Africa... God used as a base for profit and a weapon of oppression... Yep Call me Hater! Because I hate every last one of you fake moral outrage psychos.

August 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • Me

Compared to you, who seems to be an immoral outrage psycho?

August 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

tracy is right on the money.

August 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  15. therealpeace2all

They are labeled a 'hate' group for very good reasons. The majority of conservative groups in this country are 'not' labeled hate group. For instance...The Family Research Council's, 'Peter Sprigg' has stated..."H o m o s e x uals should be 'exported' " and that there should be "criminal penalties and sanctions" against gays. And that's just for starters. Let's not get into their apparent stance on the Ugandan Law that was to put gays to 'death' and imprison them. They have tried to deny this... but, we're not fooled by them, given their extreme beliefs.

The SPLC classifying them as a hate group is spot on. We need to watch these idiots. They will stop at virtually nothing to take away the rights of other humans who they deem possessed by "Satan" etc... 😯

As is often the case throughout history, and it appears it is happening in the here and now, secular society has to spear-head bringing the ultra-religious 'kicking-and- screaming' into modern times, and equality based for everyone.

Peace...

August 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • Eric G

The world is only 6000 years old.

August 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  16. Jean Sartre

Look, Christians have been shoving their "imaginary man in the sky" along with inserting "GOD" into everything secular that they can... for centuries!

Fact: ONE sort of strange guy does not a war make...

I would like to suggest that if Christianity has as its ultimate goal: to die and be with HIM forever, that they get creative and do just that, because I have have, as many other Americans, way too mch of this foolish and crazy stuff...

August 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • Me

And THAT comment puts you in the ring with the preacher who said that gays should be rounded up and put inside and fence to die out.

Congratulations, you're now irrelevant and completely insane.

August 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  17. Mike Scott

I get so tired of hearing this crap from them. There is a huge difference between having the freedom to express your religious beliefs and going to great lengths to prevent the people whom you disagree with from achieving equality. That is just mean-spirited "hate", plain and simple!

August 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  18. Dyslexic doG

"attacks on christian religious freedom" is a concept invented by republicans and FOX News!

August 17, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  19. William Demuth

I wonder where the gay version of Sirhan Sirhan, Gavrilo Princip, Lee Harvey Oswald, or James Earl Ray is?

An appearence by any of their modern equivalents would certianly offer a more interesting political convention season don't you think?

We have already gone so far right, that even a single assasination might tip us right into fascisim.

August 17, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@William,

This topic really disturbs and works me up. The hipocracy of conservative movements like the Tea Party that profess liberty as a plat'tude yet support the suppression of liberty (Patriot Act, extraordinary rendition) and spew hate for anything non-WASP*) makes me spit.

The very use of words like "Patriot Act" and "War on Terror" puts me in mind of Orwell and 1984. "We are at war with terror. We have always been at war with terror." The IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH message shines through the writings of the right-leaning believers here. We are just a half step away from either a facist uprising or a proletariat revolt (Occupy etc). The most disturbing thing about facism is just how willing the religious in Germany and Italy were to embrace it.

I love the way so many of the ignorant believers here like to post that Hitler was atheist when he would have been nothing without all those 'good' German, goose-stepping, zieg-heiling Lutherans and Catholics.

thank's for the ligher Gay militia posting above. Looking at the silly side helped me this morning.

* with a waiver for neocon and fiscal conservative Catholics and more reluctantly Mormoms)

August 17, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  20. Dyslexic doG

Top Ten Signs You're a Christian
    10 – You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.
    9 – You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.
    8 – You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.
    7 – Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!
    6 – You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.
    5 – You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.
    4 – You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs – though excluding those in all rival sects – will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."
    3 – While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.
    2 – You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.
    1 – You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history – but still call yourself a Christian

August 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • Keep your hands off my guns

Amen to that list. Add to it the incest Adam and Eve and their off spring engaged in, since they were the first humans.
      On top of it, Cain and Abel must have had some curious gay relationship otherwise how would they have reproduced. Oh, I forgot, there's always Eve as mother breeder.

August 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm |