home
RSS
August 30th, 2012

Belief Blog's Morning Speed Read for Thursday, August 30

By Arielle Hawkins, CNN

Here's the Belief Blog’s morning rundown of the top faith-angle stories from around the United States and around the world. Click the headlines for the full stories.

From the Blog:

CNN: My Faith: My Sikh prayer for the Republican National Convention
On Wednesday Ishwar Singh, president of the Sikh Society of Central Florida, became the first Sikh American in U.S. history to deliver the invocation at a national convention. Singh reflects on this opportunity to share his faith with the nation.

Tweet of the Day:

[tweet https://twitter.com/DrNaif/status/241022076322975744%5D

Belief on TV:

Enlightening Reads:

CNN: Pakistan court postpones bail decision for girl accused of burning Quran
A Pakistani court on Thursday postponed a decision on whether to grant bail to a Christian girl accused of burning pages of the Quran in a case that has heightened religious tensions in the capital, Islamabad. The Pakistani authorities have come under pressure to guarantee the safety of the girl, identified as Rimsha, in a country where people accused of blasphemy have been killed by members of the public in the past.

New York Times: In India, Businesses Named After Hitler Defend Their Decision
What’s wrong with naming your business after Adolf Hitler? So asks Rajesh Shah, the co-owner of Hitler, a menswear store in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, which opened earlier this month. Mr. Shah said in a telephone interview that his shop is named after his business partner’s grandfather, who was nicknamed Hitler after he acted the role in a college play. The name stuck, owing to the grandfather’s strict disposition.

Huffington Post: Father Benedict Groeschel, American Friar, Claims Teens Seduce Priests In Some Sex Abuse Cases
In a recent interview with the National Catholic Register, Father Benedict Groeschel, of the conservative Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, said that teens act as seducers in some sexual abuse cases involving priests. In an interview with the National Catholic Register posted this week, Groeschel was asked about his work with the very conservative Friars of the Renewal, a breakaway order he founded 25 years ago. The conversation took an interesting turn, however, when the editor asked about the 78-year-old's work with sexual abuse perpetrators.

Religion News Service: Washington churches told not to collect funds for gay marriage fight
Churches in Washington state are being reminded that collecting money for a political cause is not OK - including a high-stake ballot battle over gay marriage. The state's Public Disclosure Commission recently learned that Roman Catholic Bishop Joseph Tyson of Yakima sent a letter to pastors in 41 parishes asking them to take up a special collection for Preserve Marriage Washington, the group that is trying to overturn the state’s same-sex marriage law.

Catholic News Service: Bishops say Pelosi misrepresented abortion teaching in TV interview
The chairmen of the U.S. bishops' pro-life and doctrine committees criticized House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, saying she "misrepresented the history and nature of the authentic teaching of the Catholic Church on abortion" in a nationally televised interview Aug. 24. Pelosi, D-Calif., who is Catholic, said in an appearance that day on NBC's "Meet the Press" that church leaders for centuries had not been able to agree on when life begins. An Aug. 25 statement by Cardinal Justin Rigali of Philadelphia and Bishop William E. Lori of Bridgeport, Conn., said the church since the first century "has affirmed the moral evil of every abortion."

Quote of the Day:

Atheists who remain silent about Islamophobia aren’t just missing out on a strategic opportunity to highlight the parallels between their own experiences and those of other disenfranchised religious minorities—they’re opting out of an opportunity to do what is right, to take the moral high road, and to demonstrate what we keep telling the rest of the world: that atheists can be "good without God."

Chris Stedman, the Assistant Humanist Chaplain and Values in Action Coordinator for the Humanist Community at Harvard, explains why “Atheists ignore Islamophobia at their own peril.”

Join the conversation…

CNN: Your Take: 5 reactions to Bill Nye's creationism critique
Bill Nye does not think that children should be taught to deny evolution, and a YouTube video of him explaining why has gone viral. The CNN Belief Blog's report on the video has generated around 10,000 comments and thousands of Facebook shares since Monday.

- A. Hawkins

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. OMf'nG Deitrich Bonhoeffer was a friggin atheist

I had NO idea !
    Take THAT Rainer Brandelein, you fvcking fraud.

August 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
  2. Atheism is not . . . AHHHH!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE INSECTS ALL OVER MY BODY!!!!! I'VE JUST PI$$ED MY PANTS, AND NO ONE CAN DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!!

Insanity changes things.

August 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • Indian Fighter

"I am Wind In His Hair! I am Wind In His Hair! Do you see that I am not afraid of you!? Do you see!?"

Wind in His Hair, being a worshipper of false idols, confronts Satan after being slain by the Pawnee.

Thinking quickly, the chief of the tribe decides to, "smoke a while".

It was at this point that Joseph Smith arrived with a "White Man's" hat and some magic golden plates! He was immediately wounded by an arrow of course and the Medicine Man was summoned to the teepee.

Many moons passed while Joseph Smith recovered from his injuries, during which time he spaketh the Mormon Gospel to Chief Ten Bears and a great friendship was forged between them.

At length, it was time for Joseph Smith to head westward. As he waved goodbye to his new Lakota Indian friends, a voice could be heard on the wind….

"Joseph Smith! ... Joseph Smith! ... I am Wind In His Hair! ... Do you see that I am your friend!? ... Can you see that you will always be my friend!? Can you turn down the heat? It is like furnace down here!”

August 30, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  3. I will not buy this Jesus, it is scratched

My Jesuscraft is full of eels.

Drop your panties, Sir Romney, I cannot wait till lunchtime!

My nipples explode with faithy delight!

August 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • Father Benedit says it's the victim's fault

August 30, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
  4. In Christ I Trust

In 2010, God cleaved an island-sized iceberg off of Greenland because they approved civil unions in 1996.

August 30, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Are you Pat Robertson or Fred Phelps? You sure sound like those ignorant morons.

August 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • niknak

That is kinda how the whole god thing seems to work doesn't it?

August 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • In Christ I Trust

August 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

OK I'm nowcallin poe.

August 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • sam

LOL

August 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • niknak

Yeah that's right, the poor defenseless put upon white males.
      So loving and gentle, so selfless and caring for others.
      So missunderstood.
      Obama is the racist right?
      I bet he will go after christianity next.

August 30, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • .o.

In Christ I Trust – "Obama fails to protect the most vulnerable of all minorities: White Christian Americans."

Do you mean even after that movie "Powder" people are still bullying those white people??

August 30, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  5. HeavenSent

The atheists at CNN are blocking my posts again. Scotty *cough* tommie tom can't stand it when I post God's truth on these articles. I need to go outside to get something from the fridge. Throw away that users manual, you have no eyes to hear His truth.

Amen.

August 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • Giggles McNuggets

"you have no eyes to hear His truth"

That's very funny! I hope it was the real HeavenSent and not a parody.

August 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • HeavenSent

@Giggles McNuggets

Typical of an atheist to come on these blogs and embaress me but you are the one with snakes in your belly. I still can't find my lady parts. Time to start your walk with Jesus before you spend eternity with your father satan, who is the devil.

Amen.

August 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • Ayn Rand

@giggles. How can you tell the difference?

August 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • Giggles McNuggets

Darn. A parody.

August 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
  6. Hour of Power

@What IF

I agree, and the monster is between their legs. For many believers, faith has become a habit rather than a true source if inspiration. I believe that this has turned many away from the God that loves and carresses them. But He has not left you and will never give up trying to have you.

August 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • Which God?

Hop, no, I think your god is a sadistic psychopath who kills and/or condemns those who don't follow it, when it wants you too. It will condemn children to die before they even have a chance to really live.

August 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Poe's law confirmed once again.

August 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • .

Too many are misinformed.

August 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • Ayn Rand

Yes that's a great example of misinformation

August 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • niknak

Carresses?
      Wants to get in bed and snoggle?
      You are sounding creepier and creepier the more you post.
      But like I have found out from working with fundies, scratch just below the surface of a fundie and you will find some really creepy stuff.

August 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • niknak

You posted that before, Hour of weakness.
      I see your schtick now. You just repost previous posts with someone else's name in the @.
      Most likely not even your original drivel, but someone else's drivel.
      Thought for a second you might have a rational mind and could actually have an adult discussion.
      Silly me for thinking that could happen with a fundie.

August 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
  7. Hour of Power

@niknak

I am sorry to say you are right about some things. Many horrors have been carried out in the name of God. But these were not God's evil deeds, instead they were carried out by sad unappy people. You seem sad too niknak. The God I believe in loves us all unconditionally and wants to crawl into bed with us and cuddle.

August 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • sam

Ok, this is funny as hell.

August 30, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

"The God I believe in loves us all unconditionally and wants to crawl into bed with us and cuddle."

At least we have confirmation that you're a POE. Pathetic but a POE none the less!

August 30, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • niknak

Quite the contrary Hour, I am happy and love every minute of my life.
      Have a great family, heaps of friends, a good personal and financially rewarding job, I am in excellent health, and I am looking forward to many more years of all of the above before my atoms that I am renting disperse into the environment.
      And I have done all of this without a shred of religion.
      And you don't need to say it has happend because some god guided it, as again, you have zero proof of that claim.

August 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • What IF

HoP,

We can tell so much about a person by how he says his imaginary god behaves (from myriad possibilities). Yours seems to be a teddy bear. Nice. Unfortunately, way too many believers have a real monster on their hands (and in their heads).

It seems that this fantasy is helpful in getting you through the day and to sleep at night. Peace to you... and to us all.

August 30, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Answer

A To-do List for you religious people...

Start this today: Explain to yourself why Zeus doesn't exist for yourself.

Do this for tomorrow: Explain to yourself why Odin doesn't exist.

And on each following day after name and refute another god's existence. I'm sure your kind would love to take this task on because I have included your favorite phrase of "prove that NO god exists" in that sentence structure. You're so sure of your stupidity in your own god .. now prove to yourself that any and all of the other god(s) do not exist.

August 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • .

More than ever, misinformed.

August 30, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  8. Agnostic Atheism is Healthy for Kids and Grown-Ups Too!

School has begun, and now more than ever, we have to thing about young, impressionable minds. Time to make sure we are building strong minds.

It's really best for all people including children to have an agnostic approach to god, and an atheistic approach to all religion. It keeps things simple for kids, and let's them be all that they can be. They just need to be taught that some things, like all religion, are just made up by salesmen and politicians from long ago; and that other things, like god, we really don't know a damn thing about.

Atheists have strong minds, and don't run and hide their misdeeds within their religion (and by doing so, disserving society).

So instead of praying to make-believe people, get a good cup of tea and go on and sit down and collect your damn thoughts. My goodness.

mama kindless

August 30, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • Agnostic Atheism is Healthy for Kids and Grown-Ups Too!

mama has to correct her typos – on first line: think, not thing

August 30, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Hour of Power

@Agnostic Atheism is Healthy for Kids and Grown-Ups Too!

Belief in nothing is better than a belief in the artificial, however, if you open your soul to the Father you feel something that you may have forgotten really existed in this world. Love. Children know. When they are troubled or confused, the turn within and what do they find there? A loving God. Don't push Him away, embrace His possibilites.

August 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm |

Agnostics are misinformed.

August 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • niknak

You and yours are exactly who we are afraid of.
      You ways closes minds, ends discovery, and leads to violence and death.
      Religion is a dead end street.
      The only thing you fundies understand is a clenched fist.

August 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • .

More and more misinformed.

August 30, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • .o.

"A loving God. Don't push Him away, embrace His possibilites."

i was thinking of becoming religious, but then forgot i am allergic to capital letters.

August 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • Ayn Rand

@.
      That dark, incoherent passion within you, which you take as the voice of god is nothing more than the corpse of your mind.

August 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
  9. Hour of Power

Many of you are arguing against my sentiment. I hear you and I know you are in pain. Some of you are divorced and feel betrayed. Some of you have lost love ones or are experiencing financial dificulty. Some of you were abused.

I say to you only this, you cannot see or prove the God is there and cares for you. You can only feel His love. If you turn off that part of you that can detect His place in your heart and soul, then naturally he will not materialize for you. It takes two.

Evidence is a fleeting concept. God was here before us, he is here now, and he will be here when we are long gone. Will there be any evidence that you existed a million years from now? No. But obviouly you do and you did.

August 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm |

**+**
      ____

August 30, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • sam

Now I'm just trying to figure out who you really are, House of Poecakes. You're doing a pretty good job.

August 30, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • Hour of Power

sam

ding ding ding!!!

You always get me lol, it is I Sports Fan

August 30, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • niknak

And you can't prove any of that Hour of P.
      Prove god was here, is here, will be here.
      You have nothing except your belief that there is a god and that god behaves the way others told you it does.
      Open you mind and free yourself from religion.

August 30, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • Hour of Power

@niknak

You have not read my posts friend. My realtionship with God is personal. Not learned from a book. Sure, I find the Bible and excellent source of wisdom, but to know God is to invite him into your heart. He can hear your voice. He knows his children.

August 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • niknak

Why not the koran?
      Or the torrah?
      Or any of the countless thousands of religious texts that have been invented over the years?
      Why the bible?
      I know why, because you were born into a household that used that particular text, out of all the others.
      That is the only reason you put faith into it, not because you have an open mind and chose it from the others.
      I have read your posts, and there is nothing new or novel about anything you have posted.
      I have heard/read all of it before. You are not original.
      Your relationship with your imaginary friend is your problem and I could care less.
      But I do care when you and your ilk try to force it on the rest of us, and try to pass laws and regulations based on your imaginary friend whom you have zero evidence for.
      If you want to howl at the moon, go ahead. But don't demand that the rest of us have to howl along side of you.

August 30, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • sam

Sports Fan, you know you're my favorite.

August 30, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Sports Fan

I am reminded of how deceptive the knuckle ball can be in the major leagues.

August 30, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • Jake-413451

to paraphrase Hour of Power
      God wants to crawl into bed with us and cuddle.

HoP, I believe the phrase would be
      Obvious Poe is obvious.

August 30, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • Ayn Rand

@hop. if you didn't learn about god from a book – where did you learn about god? Presumably you're talking about the christian god – how did you get to choose that one specifically?

August 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
  10. Hour of Power

@Jake-413451

Unlike many Christians, I am realistic when it comes to the Bible. My relationship with God comes not from within the pages of a book, clearly written by men in a different time in human history. Much can be learned mind you, but it is not to be taken literally. My God does not condone man's inhumanity to man. Nor do I. Jake, drink in the fresh our of His reality on your own playing field. We are not clones nor sheep. We are all a part of Him.

@TruthPrevails

You do not have to lump me in with those you have ill will towards. You have turned away from God out of frustration. He does not easily reveal himself. So much so that men of invented stories to support him and control others. You see TP, your relationship with God starts from within. You forgot the very thing you were born to remember. You are loved.

@blogger formerly known as Who invited me?

I enjoy the wisdom and comfort I find in the Bible, but I will gladly put it down for I can see the face of the Lord in everything, including you. I am very please that you are a good person. I am asking you to also care for yourself. Sometimes we can be too unselfish.

August 30, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

I simply see no evidence to support your god any more than I see evidence to support any other god. You're not going to convince me or any other Atheist we are wrong, just as we are not likely to convince you.

August 30, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • Jake-413451

@TruthPrevails:
      You have to read HoP's entry about cuddling with god to know their other posts are demonstrations of Poe's Law.

August 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  11. Hour of Power

@TruthPrevails 🙂

Indeed, we are not sheep to be herded. However, we are children with very limited faculties to comprehend the vastness of our universe and creator. Humble yourself to the truth that we are small and He is big. Let the Lord embrace you and ease your fears.

August 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

I have chosen a different path in life that works for me and that makes me happy. Telling me to to follow your god is futile when obviously I do not believe in your god. If following your god makes you happy, so be it but please do not assume that it is the only path to happiness or good in this world. As previously stated I have no problem with your belief providing it does not over step the bounds. The second your belief makes you start to tell people how to live; how to raise their children; who to love; who to hate; what to do with their own personal body is the second your belief fails and the second I speak out against it.

August 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • niknak

You are a sheep dude.
      You belong to a "flock."
      You believe in imaginary beings as told to you by others.
      Your religion is what you were born to, because had you been born in Saudi Arabia you would not be xtian but muslim.
      All that you parrot is nothing new, but taken from other people.
      And when you die, you will be exactly where you were the moment before you conception, which is nowhere.
      There is no magin man Hour, just your imagination of one. Sorry you can't understand this.
      Enjoy the rest of your ride into oblivion.

August 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  12. harold

cnn has spent the whole week trying to defend barrack. it cant be done. report the news and quite trying to defend the worst president in history

August 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Hour of Power

harold, rather than acting out against that which you dislike, offer some constructive criticism to help CNN offer up a more balanced an fair approach to their reporting. As a Christian, I respect the president and I say let the best man win on election day.

August 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • sam

When you can't even come close to spelling his name right, your opinion on the job he's done isn't likely to be valid.

August 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • Hour of Power

sam, harold cannot spell, it is true. But bless him for trying and I hope he can lose some of that anger.

August 30, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
  13. Hour of Power

Atheists are full of hate and vitrol because deep down they know they morally bankrupt without Jesus in their heart. The sad, hollow place where their soul should be aches for comfort from the one true God.

Atheists, pick up a Bible, pour yourself some hot chocolate and find the truth you seek. Take some time off work and just read. In time, you will be enlighted. Praise Him and bless you.

August 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • Huebert

Christians are morally bankrupt because they believe they have divine approval to behave in an abhorrent manner.

August 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Hour of Power

@Huebert

Your hatred comes not from a dislike or misunderstanding of Christians, but instead from an internal knowledge that you are missing something profound in your life. That missing element is Jesus Christ.

August 30, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Huebert

Oh I found Jesus long ago, the sneaky fcuker was hiding in between the couch cushions.

August 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

HOP: Wow, you know making false assumptions makes you look like an ass! If you asked my good christian friends they'd tell you without a doubt that as an Atheist my moral compass and my love for human nature is better than most christians...I don't have a book to tell me who to love and who to hate and who to judge!! I am capable of telling right from wrong on my own!

August 30, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Hour of Power

Huebert, bless you. I see you acting out and you are clearly distressed. My friend life can by very difficult. But you are strong and you can be successful. Jesus can help if you turn to him. Why not give it a try? You are already miserable so you have nothing to lose. I wish you only the good things.

August 30, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • sam

Your approach really leaves a lot to be desired.

August 30, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Hour of Power

@TruthPrevails 🙂

I am sure you are a very good person, but yet I can sense an agressivness that belies a tortured soul. It is not enough to be morally sound. You must also love yourself. Look within, there is something missing. That something is your true father, the Lord.

August 30, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • Hour of Power

sam, my approach is only to guide lost sould. You can listen to my comforting words or choose not to.

August 30, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • sam

Never mind. I call poe on this one.

August 30, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • Jake-413451

@HoP
      So do you agree that slaves should obey their masters, the implicit approval of slavery the bible contains within the New Testament, and the overt approval it is given in the Old Testament?

Or were you capable of deciding that slavery is an immoral act all on your own? Even if God was perfectly fine with it, even beating them so badly they had to be in bed for a few days (Exodus 21:21).

August 30, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

HOP: Once again with the false assumptions! No aggressiveness at all. I am like most Atheists, a recovering christian. We have been your path and we see no reason to accept it as truth due to the overwhelming lack of evidence to support it. It is nothing against the people, except those who use the threat of hell on us, it is strictly the belief and how it tends to impede on the basic rights of others by telling them how they should and shouldn't live; how they should and shouldn't raise their children; what to do with their own bodies; who to love. I do not judge anyone until given reason to.

August 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • blogger formerly known as Who invited me?

wh ore of power
      your opening statement is a lie.

I am an atheist, love my life, have many friends, hobbies and interests. I practice random acts of kindness, and help people whenever I see the need. All of this without need of the crutch of religion.

Put down your bible and engage in humanity, not fiction, supersti tion and myths.

August 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

@Hop. Problem with your statement/ We did pick up the hole-ly book of BS. Found it to be silly beyond belief. What sacrifice my son? Man walks on water> Virgin bith by a 'being that is two or more in one? Genesiss I & 2 reversed, and not consistant to each other? And it was dictrated to be his word?? It's perfect, you say? Babbling-Book- of- Bullshyte.

August 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • Huebert

You represent a great deal of what I hate about religion. You are so deeply indoctrinated that you cannot imagine happiness outside of your religion. and thus you erroneously as.sume that everyone else is miserable. You also as.sume that I was never a christian, which is again a fiction. I was a believer for years, right up until the time i decided to really explore my faith and read the bible. I have a wonderful life and am in no way miserable, I know I can never convince you of this, but your religion does not have all the answers. Honestly, I'm not sure that it has any.

August 30, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • Huebert

Previous comment is @HoP

August 30, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • OTOH

Hour of Power,

You (and many evangelists) seem to be under the impression that we non-believers just rode into town with a load of pumpkins.

Many (if not most) of us know your book very well, and were even once believers. Sometimes I feel sort of like an ogre telling you that there is no-one out/up/over/under there. Your book is not "holy". There is not a shred of verified evidence for the supernatural beings and events told about in your book.

August 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm |

.........

August 30, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  14. Jake-413451

I do like the closing statement about atheists and "Islamophobia".
    Atheists should not be silent on it. We should speak out about it.
    So, let's explore it.

A phobia is classified as an anxiety disorder. It is an irrational persistent fear of something which poses little or no danger to a person.

That does not apply to "Islamophobia", Islam has a very bloody history, that history continues today. The justifications for those bloody actions are not being made up out of whole cloth, but come directly from the fundamental teachings of Islam.
    Non-muslims are to be subjugated
    Some fellow believers are to be tolerated
    Atheists are considered kafir in Islam. The Quran doesn't directly say to hurt them only "They shall have none on this earth to protect or help them." In other words, neglect them to death.

There is no such thing as Islamophobia, because fearing what Islam would do, because of what they have shown they will do, is not an irrational fear.

August 30, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • truth be told

August 30, 2012 at 11:56 am |

Nonbelievers are misinformed.

August 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Hour of Power

@truth be told

Do not lower yourself to the cause of hatred, but instead use a firm and loving hand to stroke the goodness out of the atheists. They need guidence, not condemnation.

August 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

TBT: Repeating it over and over doesn't make it any more true!!

August 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Jake-413451

@tbt

Do you mean that makes it okay?
      If those people had been kil.ling in order to advance atheism you might have a point, but they weren't.

So you don't.

@HoP

I have a similar feeling for believers. I use small words when speaking to them, big words and complex subjects often confuse them. Hence their regular retreat to "god did it".

With patience we may yet teach them that "I don't know" isn't so scary and is the first step into investigation.

August 30, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Hour of Power: Pot meet kettle. The only guidance we require is our own moral compass. We are not like you, we do not require a shepherd to herd us...we are not sheep!! We think for ourselves...too bad you can't say the same!

August 30, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • truth be trolled

No again TBT. once again you refuse simple education. Stalin was outwardly Christian at various stages of his life. Pol Pot, a Buddhist, Hitler, a Christian. But, it's silly to define the characteristics of anyone, religious, atheist, or other, in terms of these few power crazy individuals in history. Rational people know not to make these kinds of silly as'sociations. What is more important is noticing when religious organizations have at various times in history engaged in murder, torture and various other forms of disenfranchisement of multi'tudes of people to meet their immediate agenda. And this continues with all religions.

August 30, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • sam

@truth be told – this again? Honestly. Atheists kill, yes. But I have yet to hear of anyone who killed *in the name of atheism*. There's a huge difference.

August 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • hal 9000

truth be told wrote: "Atheists have tortured and murdered more people in the last 100 years than were killed in all previous centuries. Bloody islam?"

I'm sorry, "truth be told", but the evidence against your statements about atheism is overwhelming.

I see you have been corrected on these points numerous times, yet you continue to state these falsehoods. Perhaps I can recommend a book for you that might help: I Still Do: Loving and Living With Alzheimer's by Judith Fox.

August 30, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • Just the Facts Ma'am

Let's do some math:

in 2004 there were an estimated 490,000 intentional murders.

As of the same year 98% of the world claimed belief in one of the major world religions.

It is safe to assume then, that the religious count for about 480,000 murders every year, and that does not include the history of violence almost every religions past holds, thats just their adhereants supposedly practicing what they preach.

99% of the current prison population claim some religious affiliation with 96% having gone into the penal system with the religion while 3% find their faith while incarcerated.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm....

August 30, 2012 at 1:11 pm |

Still misinformed.

August 30, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  15. .

FATAA

August 30, 2012 at 8:43 am |
    • Huebert

I read your blog, I found it to be poorly written and unconvincing.

August 30, 2012 at 10:37 am |
    • Steven

You can remain a fool

August 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

I prefer this blog...such a more entertaining story 🙂

August 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • .

You also, can stay the foo.

August 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  16. Tom, Tom, the Other One

Mike Hucakabee- "I care far less as to where Mitt Romney takes his family to church than I do about where he takes this country."
    Even the most conservative fundamentalists can have a pragmatic core. God can be set aside for a while if that's what it takes to put a Republican in the White House.

August 30, 2012 at 8:11 am |
  17. No gods exist and proof is everywhere

Atheist Hunter, I leave this here for you. It is a turd. I knew the taste would be familiar and comforting for you. Enjoy.

@

August 30, 2012 at 7:50 am |
    • Ned

I leave you a carrot because you are fat and need a new lifestyle. Enjoy!

^

August 30, 2012 at 8:32 am |
    • Shart the Jesus

Ned, that is the lamest comeback I've seen today. I guess your god hates you. Better give it up. You really suck at this.

August 30, 2012 at 8:37 am |

+-+

August 30, 2012 at 10:13 am |
    • Ned

Shart, that wasnt a comeback, thats just telling the good ol' truth.

August 30, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
    • sam

Ned, you can actually see through your monitor and know when someone is fat? That's magical.

August 30, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  18. Skepticism is healthy

Skepticism is good. Skepticism works.

August 30, 2012 at 7:34 am |

August 30, 2012 at 8:33 am |
  19. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

August 30, 2012 at 7:22 am |
    • hal 9000

I'm sorry, "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but the evidence against your statements about prayer and atheism is overwhelming.

August 30, 2012 at 9:28 am |

..+..

August 30, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • chris hitchens

@hal
      here's a book that might help you... the Holy Bible

August 30, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • just sayin

There is no credible evidence anywhere that contradicts the simple Truth that prayer changes things. God bless

August 30, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • BS Burner - I dispose of all religious books using fire - and your god does not exist

Everytime I burn a bible or koran it proves your god does not exist.
      Every time someone interprets their religion differently than someone else it is proof your god does not exist.
      Every day, every second that there remains multiple religions that contradict each other on this earth is proof your god does not exist.
      There is nothing you can point to as proof of your god.
      You deny your false faith every single time you pray.
      You deny your false faith every single time you say you have proof.

Everything shows me your god does not exist. You are just a kid who thinks his sky-daddy is going to save him from the big bad stuff, but your Jesus is dead, your god is fake, and your prayers never work but you love to pretend they do.

August 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • just sayin

God has revealed Himself to us in these last days in the person of His Son Jesus Christ. God bless

August 30, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • another repentant sinner

Prayer changed my life !

August 30, 2012 at 11:26 am |

..+..+++

August 30, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • HeavenSense

Hi prayerbot.

August 30, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things. Proven. I prayed for jeebus, and he and I got it together. So ‘HeavenSent’ a night it was. ‘TruthBeTold’, it was just carnal. That ‘Deacon’ guy told me all about it. He had a ‘CatholicEngineer’ and someone from ‘MiddleRiver’ arrange it all. Changed me for sure. I’m carnal for jeebus

August 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm |

Misinformed.....

August 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • Veritas

Then you should pray for some imagination.

August 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
  20. Simran

INTELLIGENT DESIGN OR RELIGIOUS PROPAGANDA

1. Intelligent design (ID) is a form of creationism promu.lgated by the Discovery Inst..itute, HQs at the Center for Science and Culture. The Inst.itute defines it as the propos.ition that "certain features of universe and living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undire.cted process such as natural selection" and want to redefine science by invo.king supernatural explanations.
    2. The overall goal of the movement is to "defeat the materi.alist world view" represented by the theory of evolution in favor of "a science con.sonant with Christian and theistic convic.tions".
    3. Who started it – a group of American creationists who revised their argument in the creation–evolution controve.rsy to circu.mvent court rulings such as the United States Supreme Court Edwards v. Aguillard ruling, which barred the teaching of "Creation Science" in public schools as breaching the separation of church and state . ID movement is a direct outgrowth of the creationism of 1980s.
    4. All leading ID proponents are fellows or staff of CSC. Nearly all intelligent design concepts and the associated movement are the products of the Discovery Inst..itute.
    5. Leading ID proponents have made conflicting statements regarding ID. In statements directed at the general public, they say ID is not religious; when addressing conservative Christian supporters, they state that ID has its foundation in the Bible. Phillip E. Johnson has stated that cultivating ambiguity by employing secular language in arguments that are carefully crafted to avoid overtones of theistic creationism is a necessary first step for ultimately reintroducing the Christian concept of God as the designer.
    6. According to Thomas Dixon, "Religious leaders have come out against ID too. An open letter affirming the compatibility of Christian faith and the teaching of evolution, first produced in response to controversies in Wisconsin in 2004, has now been signed by over ten thousand clergy from different Christian denominations across America. In 2006, the director of the Vatican Observatory, the Jesuit astronomer George Coyne, condemned ID as a kind of 'crude creationism' which reduced God to a mere engineer."
    7. The scientific community rejects the extension of science to include supernatural explanations in favor of continued acceptance of methodological naturalism and has rejected both irreducible complexity and specified complexity for a wide range of conceptual and factual flaws.

August 30, 2012 at 6:17 am |
    • Simran

That was just the overview. Now all those who want to support ID, please explain the following:
      1. They proposed that natural selection is not how it happened. Now they say natural selection happened but was guided by God?
      2. The very goal of the movement is to fit the concept of god into science, not to find the truth.
      3. ID is just an extension of Creationism, and they simply changed their argument from blatant creationism to ID when they lost ground. (How good can such scientists be?)
      4. Well, the movement is only at one centre (fortunately) – do you mean to say that all the other scientists of the world are atheists?
      5. Fifth point just shows their hypocrisy.
      6. See, even your own flock doesnot agree! (BTW, that seems to be the rule, not the exception as far as religion goes).
      7. Now when you overcome these factual flaws, please get back to the actual scientists.

August 30, 2012 at 6:18 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

There are efforts by some to slip in the components of ID to be assembled later. Punctuated equilibrium (PE), a real feature of evolutionary dynamics , should be on the watch list. It is introduced to be used as evidence of the hand of God at work.

August 30, 2012 at 7:49 am |
    • Simran

@Tom,
      Why am I not surprised? 🙂
      This reminds me of a popular Hindi phrase : Khisiyani billi khamba nochey
      Well, I dont know if if will sound as hilarious in English, but I will try to explain – Frustrated cat starts scratching the pillar.
      Ever seen frustrated cat videos!

August 30, 2012 at 8:10 am |