home
RSS
Romney speech touches on faith
August 30th, 2012

Romney speech touches on faith

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Tampa, Florida (CNN) - In a few hours the spotlight will shine on Mitt Romney at the Tampa Bay Times Forum and in excerpts released of his acceptance speech the GOP presidential nominee is shedding light on his personal faith.

In the excerpts, Romney a lifelong member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, plans to speak often of his faith although the excepts make no mention of the LDS Church or Mormonism by name.

But Romney, who has both led a Mormon congregation as a bishop and a regional group of churches as stake president, will speak to specific practices of his church and his experiences.

"Like a lot of families in a new place with no family, we found kinship with a wide circle of friends through our church. When we were new to the community it was welcoming and as the years went by, it was a joy to help others who had just moved to town or just joined our church," the excepts say.

A common practice in Mormon churches is to organize local congregants to help church members move, both in packing up at the old location and moving into the new one.

Convention’s Mormon speakers expected to shed light on Romney’s faith life

"We had remarkably vibrant and diverse congregations of all walks of life and many who were new to America. We prayed together, our kids played together and we always stood ready to help each other out in different ways," Romney also says.

Attendance at Mormon services is based on location as opposed to preference. Unlike many other denominations in the United States, there is no church-shopping among Mormons. Members are assigned to wards near their homes. As a result wards, or church meeting houses, can be much more reflective of the neighborhoods where they reside.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

"And that’s how it is in America. We look to our communities, our faiths, our families for our joy, our support, in good times and bad. It is both how we live our lives and why we live our lives. The strength and power and goodness of America has always been based on the strength and power and goodness of our communities, our families, our faiths," the campaign said Romney will also say.

Before Romney delivers his speech, other Mormons will be featured in the evening's events. Ken and Priscilla Hutchins, who served with Romney at the same ward in Massachusetts will deliver the invocation to begin the evening.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: 2012 Election • Belief • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Politics

1. tuvia

B"H
    LET MY PEOPLE GO SENETOR HILLIARY CLINTON AND hussein OBAMA. LET JONATHAN POLLARD GO NOW
    LET MY PEOLE GO

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=947by3X6_RU&w=640&h=360]

September 5, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • tuvia

!!!!!

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVw3EQ3-Ndw&w=640&h=360]

!!!

September 6, 2012 at 10:29 am |
  2. tuvia

SHALOM, THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING.
    YOU SHOULD ALL HAVE A GREAT SHABBOS.
    HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND.

September 5, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • tuvia

??

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVw3EQ3-Ndw&w=640&h=360]

September 6, 2012 at 10:30 am |
  3. Lord Golob from Kolob

All your Mitts are belong to me. And they will need to wash their magic underwear if they lose the election and feel my wrath.

September 4, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
  4. Jennifer

Faith does too much touching, at least as far as Catholic priests in the news go (too far).

September 4, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
  5. Sally

They lose me when they yell about how much they care about the unborn child (I care too) but then they say let people die that can't afford insurance or outrageous medical cost.Thier approach is let the child become conscience of life and then tell he/her tough luck unless you have money.Not the Christ I belive in ,he help the less fortunate.How they can justify I guess I will never understand but I'm sure in thier mind they can.

September 4, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • Dale

If you truly believe that Christ is going to save you, then why do you need any kind of insurance?

You are an infidel and not a true Christian.

September 4, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
  6. Captain Moroni

Moroni 10:3-5

September 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
  7. Saved by Grace

September 2, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
  8. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer really changes things

September 2, 2012 at 7:00 am |

hal 9000
      I'm sorry "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but you assertions regarding atheism and prayer are unfounded. I see that you repeat these unfounded statements frequently. Perhaps the following book might help you overcome this problem:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to... by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

September 2, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  9. Timewilltale

Romney is what America needs. So shall it be written,so shall it be done!

September 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
  10. Hales

This article gives a good short glimpse into Latter-Day Saint life. Thanks!

September 1, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
  11. AvdBerg

Mitt Romney’s faith does not stand in the teachings of Christ and the Word of God but rather an image of a false god and a false Christ (Matthew 24:24; 2 Cor. 11:13-15).

For a better understanding of the history of the Mormon Church and what spirit Mitt Romney serves (Luke 9:55) we invite you to read the article ‘Mormon Church – Cult and Spiritual Harlot’ listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

All of the other pages and articles listed on our website explain how and by whom this whole world has been deceived as confirmed in Revelation 12:9.

September 1, 2012 at 7:39 am |
    • Jonah

If Paul were here today, what church would he belong to? Paul actually answered that question in 1 Corinthians, " 10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
      11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
      12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
      13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
      14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, abut Crispus and Gaius;
      15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name."
      It is pretty obvious that Paul would not approve of the Lutheran church, or the Methodist, or the Baptist or any of the evangelical churches of the day. He said himself that he would only belong to the Church of Jesus Christ, and if he were alive today, he would belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Days. You can learn more at mormon.org.

September 1, 2012 at 8:39 am |
    • Jonah

Paul would be absolutely disgusted by the Mega Churches who sell the word of God and rake in millions. Ron Hubbard was heard to say that if he wanted to make a million dollars, he would start a church, and that is exactly what he did. Christianity has apostatized from the truth! Jeremiah said, " 11 Hath a nation changed their gods, which are yet no gods? but my people have changed their glory for that which doth not profit. " 13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water."
      People no longer worship idols but they have replaced the idols with false churches – churches who preach watered down Christianity, churches which have no power to save them from their sins; churches that have no priesthood authority to perform the sacred ordinances, churches led by uninspired usurpers who pardon sinners in exchange for their money! Well did Christ say of them, "1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber." (John 10) Of these he will say, " 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." A man or woman who is too proud to admit they are wrong and accept the truth will never see the Kingdom of God!
      “22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
      23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

September 1, 2012 at 8:40 am |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

Who should care about the pompous self-proclaimed "apostle" Paul? Thanks to the gibberish from that politician, often conflicting with even the most basic of Jesus' ideals, contradiction is built right into Christianity, allowing Christians to this day to be experts at speaking with a forked tongue.

September 1, 2012 at 11:18 am |
  12. Mike Blackadder

It makes sense that Romney would discuss his religion in a forum where he can speak freely and clearly and not before that point. At the GOP convention he can be sure that his remarks will be reported in its entirely and not taken out of context. He's a pretty smart guy.

August 31, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
  13. Jesus is the most powerful figure known to mankind (Fact)

"Only a fool says in his heart there is not GOD"- King David
    For atheist/non-believers a very simple verse
    John8:47-"Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to the words of God. But you don't listen because you don't belong to God."
    John 10:26-"but you do not believe because you are not my sheep."
    John 3:16-"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
    It is impossible for the unchosen to believe this, only the elected saints hear this truth and believe it. If you do not believe this it is because you are not of GOD nor do you belong to GOD. If you do not belong to GOD then you belong to satan. According to the word of Christ Jesus not MYSELF, satan and all who belong to him will inherit hades for all of eternity (on going time with no end) May GOD Almighty be with you and may all who are of the light come to the light. Peace be with you

August 31, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • truth be trolled

BULL SH IT ALERT!

September 1, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • ....

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
      how very original of you
      think for yourself often?

September 1, 2012 at 8:08 am |
  14. IndianaJonz

I'll chime in on how Mitt's faith plays into the election for me. As a Mormon I paid attention to Mitt Romney early on because he was Mormon. Since then I have done my research including reading his book "No Apology" and Obama's book, and now I can say I am strongly aligned with Mitt Romney and the GOP. His faith certainly peaked my interest but the politics are what sold me. (Read Romney’s book!)
    To the goofy string of comments above I would add that as I study the teachings of Christ in the Bible and Book of Mormon at home and at church I find myself being slower to get angry, faster to help and forgive others, and little by little I gain a greater understanding of God's great plan for us all.

August 31, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
  15. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things.

August 31, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • kindless

Actually that's not true at all! What is true is this:

Agnostic Atheism is Perfectly Healthy for Kids and Grown-Ups Too!

It's really best for all people including children to have an agnostic approach to god, and an atheistic approach to all religion. It keeps things simple for kids, and let's them be all that they can be. They just need to be taught that some things, like all religion, are just made up by salesmen and politicians from long ago; and that other things, like god, we really don't know a damn thing about.

Atheists have strong minds, and don't run and hide their misdeeds within their religion (and by doing so, disserving society).

So instead of praying to make-believe people, get a good cup of tea and go on and sit down and collect your damn thoughts. My goodness.

mama kindless

August 31, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • hal 9000

I'm sorry "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but your assertions about prayer and atheism are unfounded. I notice that you continue to repeat unfounded ideas and falsehoods. Would you like me to recommend a book on Alzheimer's? It may help with this problem.

August 31, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • Saved by Grace

Kindless ..just don't get it. Children know there is a God. Teaching them that there is not causes confusion. Christ said sufer not the little children to come un to me, for such is the kingdom of heaven.

September 1, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
    • Saved by Grace

Prayer wil change everything

September 1, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
  16. Phillip C. Smith

Thank you for your fair article. I see attempts on the part of many to try and get it right about us. Writers and respondents should keep in mind the following by Krister Stendahl (1921-2008), Lutheran minister and former professor at the Divinity School of Harvard University, famous in part for outlining very insightful guidelines for discussion:
    Stendahl’s Three Rules of Religious Understanding
    (1) When you are trying to understand another religion, you should ask the adherents of that religion and not its enemies.
    (2) Don’t compare your best to their worst.
    (3) Leave room for “holy envy.” (By this Stendahl meant that you should be willing to recognize elements in the other religious tradition or faith that you admire and wish could, in some way, be reflected in your own religious tradition or faith.)
    Continue to try and raise the level of religious commentary. I am sorry for the critics who persist in violating the above rules.

Phillip C. Smith, Ph.D.

August 31, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • pockets

If ever we needed common sense it is now. Unfortunately the man who led this parade has died. His name is Christopher Hitchens, perhaps one of the most intelligent spokesmen for the athiest and non-believers out there. RIP Hitch, you were right. Religion Poisons Everything. At least your books will 'live on' and provide insight into the disease called Religion.
      Its embarassing to listen to people like romney stand in front of a crowd and talk about an invisible diety in the sky, worshipping, can you believe that, worshipping, something that does not exist and never has, its frightenting.

August 31, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • witness for Jesus

well Pockets since there is nothing there why are you afraid????
      that's illogical 🙂 🙂 🙂

August 31, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  17. Johnnie Martin

Why are you even trying to discuss religion which is something you all know nothing about!!! For 99% of the people they just pay mouth service to it–Like our politicians! If one is a christian he wouldn't spin facts but would tell the truth!!! The truth is only what they want it to be! Just as we all do. We lie ,cheat, steal , and claim to be religious! Being religious YouPractice It Every Day--Not on Sunday!!!! Just ask them to tell the Truth!!!!

Johnnie Martin

August 31, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
  18. IslandAtheist

Magic Mormon Underwear http://youtu.be/6cbfgmorIGE

August 31, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • IslandAtheist

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cbfgmorIGE&w=640&h=360]

August 31, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • ScottCA

LMAO great video

August 31, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
  19. GOP Word Association

WORD = GOP Association
    Old People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Sick People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Poor People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Female People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Non-white People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Non-christian People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Unemployed People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Gay People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Glob of cells in a womb = Something we PRETEND to care about just to get votes.
    Gun Control = Something ELSE we PRETEND to care about to get dumb redneck votes.

August 31, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  20. pastmorm

And yet we live in a country that was BASED on the SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. Now we are thinking of becoming a Theocracy again? Really??? People, WAKE UP!

August 31, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • witness for Jesus

no you wake up it's already coming atchu real hard you better duck 🙂 🙂 🙂

August 31, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • witness for Jesus

I agree with you morm .. but what can you do? religious is as religious does... like the serpents in the bible, Psalm 58 they never hear you only themselves..Matthew 23-33,.. Luke 3:7

August 31, 2012 at 3:20 pm |