home
RSS
Creationists hit back at Bill Nye with their own video
"The idea of deep time ... explains so much of the world around us," Bill Nye said in the viral video.
August 31st, 2012

Creationists hit back at Bill Nye with their own video

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN) - Bill Nye's viral YouTube video pleading with parents not to teach their children to deny evolution has spawned an online life of its own, with prominent creationists hitting back against the popular TV host.

"Time is Nye for a Rebuttal," Ken Ham the CEO of Answers in Genesis writes on his website. Answers in Genesis is the Christian ministry behind the Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky.

Nye's criticism of creationism went viral earlier this week, after being posted last Thursday.

"I say to the grownups, if you want to deny evolution and live in your world, that's completely inconsistent with the world we observe, that's fine. But don't make your kids do it," Nye says in his Big Think video, which has been viewed nearly 3 million times.

Ham writes that Nye is joining in with other evolutionists who say teaching children to deny evolution is a form of "child abuse." That idea comes in part from the atheist scientist Richard Dawkins, who in his book "The God Delusion" argues against exposing children to religion before they are old enough to fully understand it.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

"At AiG and the Creation Museum, we teach children and adults the truth concerning who they are in the Creator’s eyes — and where they came from," Ham writes. "We tell people that they do have purpose and meaning in life and that they were created for a purpose. "No, we are not just evolved animals as Nye believes; we are all made in the image of God."

Ham is the public face of a group that academics call Young Earth Creationists, though they prefer to be called Biblical Creationists. They believe in a literal interpretation of the creation account in the book of Genesis found in the Bible.

The Creation Museum also produced its own rebuttal video on YouTube that features two of their staff scientists, both Ph.Ds, David Menton and Georgia Purdom.

"[Nye] might be interested to know I also teach my young daughter about evolution and I know many Christian parents who do the same," Purdom says in the video. "Children should be exposed to both ideas concerning our past."

For the past 30 years, one popular method for Creationists to advance their cause has been to make an equal-time argument,with Creationism taught alongside evolution. In the late 1980s, some state legislatures passed bills that promoted the idea of a balanced treatment of both ideas in the classroom.

In 1987, the issue made it all the way to the Supreme Court, where a Louisiana "equal-time law" was struck down. The court ruled that teaching creationism in public school class rooms was a violation of the Establishment Cause in the Constitution, which is commonly referred to as the separation of church and state.

A key point between most scientists and many creationists is the timing for the origin of the world.

Your Take: 5 reactions to Bill Nye's creationism critique

Nye's argument falls in line with the vast majority of scientists, who date the age of the earth as 4.5 billion years old and the universe as 14.5 billion years old.

"The idea of deep time of billions of years explains so much of the world around us. If you try to ignore that, your worldview becomes crazy, untenable, itself inconsistent," Nye says in his viral video.

Young Earth Creationists say the weeklong account of God creating the earth and everything in it represents six 24-hour periods (plus one day of rest) and date the age of the earth between 6,000 and 10,000 years.

"Yes we see fossils and distant stars, but the history on how they got there really depends on our worldview," Purdom says in the museum's rebuttal. "Do we start with man's ideas, who wasn't here during man's supposed billions of years of earth history or do we start with the Bible, the written revelation of the eyewitness account of the eternal God who created it all?"

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Polling from Gallup has shown for the past 30 years that between 40-46% of the survey respondents believe in Creationism, that God created humans and the world in the past 10,000 years.

The most recent poll showed belief in atheistic evolution was on the rise at 16%, nearly double what it had been in previous years. The poll also found 32% of respondents believe in evolution guided by God.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Creationism • Science

soundoff (5,973 Responses)
  1. Tigrr

Idiots all.
    Yeah, a souce some call God created life... he used a process called Evolution. Get it?
    Even the genesis sequence in the bible is a sequence of evolution. Efuff said.

September 1, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • sn0wb0arder

there is no reason to believe that whatsoever.

the creation story in the bible is just that, a fanciful story used by ancient men with little understanding of the natural world to explain what they did not understand.

September 1, 2012 at 11:17 am |
  2. Andrew

You can believe in evolution AND God. One is not exclusive to the other!

September 1, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • sn0wb0arder

but you can not be a literal biblical creationist.

September 1, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • .o.

You absolutely can, Andrew. And you would be an idiot. And if you were Christian, you would be a Christard.

September 1, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  3. Goose66

I teach my children that the story of Genesis is a fable told to men who didn't even understand their place on the earth, much less in the cosmos. I also teach them that God gave us, His children, brains and curiosity to discover what we can about the World around us.

In the beginning, there was nothing. And in an instant God created with a touch of his finger the heavens and the Earth and everything in the World, and set it all in motion, according to His plan. See, there is no reason for the story of creation to be inconsistent with the big bang.

September 1, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • Troy

You realize of course, that you are still making it up as you go. I teach my children what we actually know, and that assuming to know things that we don't is turning away from reality and truth.

September 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
  4. NN

Nye is NOT a scientist, he is an engineer. His credentials are laughable, and so is his appearance.

September 1, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Darwin

And like a typical christian NN, you judge and hate people. Bill Nye didn't come up with the idea of evolution...why don't you attack your school books instead?

September 1, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What are YOUR credentials, NN?

September 1, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • James PDX

And yet is he wealthy, famous, and his credentials and IQ far outweigh yours. Yet I bet you also have an opinion. The difference is, nobody care about yours.

September 1, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • putty

His credentials as what, as an engineer? Are you saying that he is not certified to be an engineer, because that is a serious charge.

September 1, 2012 at 11:36 am |
  5. Darwin

Thank the earth for evolution! If it weren't for ignorant christians, we, the human race would be so much more advanced and loving today.

September 1, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You finally got something right.

September 1, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • Darwin

Yeah that's the imposter... True atheism there... Just like when they take credit for Gods work!

September 1, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  6. Rob

Evolution is a fact. Whether or not it is responsible for the development of all species on earth seems a bit far fetched. There isn't one person on the planet that can explain the meaning of our existance. It is the responsibility of each individual to form their OWN opinions based on life experience and education. As far as religious beliefs, these are not your opinions but of those who would like you to believe theirs through brainwashing. Live life, respect all life! and be happy.

September 1, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Goose66

I don't think you can say Darwinian evolution, i.e. survival of the fittest, is a fact. A major detractor of the theory is the speed at which it happens. Random mutations can't account for how quickly and how perfect many species have evolved to fit their environment. I believe that the evidence leaves room for there to be something more special at work - something encoded in our DNA, by God, perhaps, that gives us the ability to evolve, not in a random way, but according to our environment and/or some type of overall plan that is in sync with the Earth. I am not saying I believe this is the truth, there just appears to be more at work here than random genetic mutations.

September 1, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • Rob

Evolutions is a fact, whether or not it is a result of environment or other influences who can say for sure? A lot of this world or universe is unexplainable. Consciousness is also a tough one to deal with. But it would be hard not to accept there is something greater at work than what we can see. But I think it is dangerous to blindly accept the beliefs of others.

September 1, 2012 at 11:39 am |
  7. Darwin

Remember the scientist that created a universe anywhere? Yeah me either!

September 1, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • Darwin

But then again, I don't see how God created the Universe. After all, he won't come to me...well he does when I don't take my meds on time.

September 1, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • putty

You see what the physicists at CERN are doing? Sadly, that could have been the glory of the US, but we wouldn't allow the collider to be built on our soil. Ridiculous.

September 1, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • The Son At Dawn

It's only sad until you consider that Europe is producing a very large 'low pressure system' of energy by accelerating particles according to the Bernoulli principle. Some 'high pressure' rock from space will probably annihilate it some day since high pressure naturally 'gravitates' towards low pressure. Or maybe it will pull CERN closer to the sun, who knows, but they didn't really think that one out. Where's Einstein when you need him to warn scientists about doing stupid things. Didn't they see the movie Young Einstein with Yahoo Serious?

September 1, 2012 at 11:24 am |
  8. The Son At Dawn

I plead to those true believers to end the creationism in schools debate. Sure there's a creator, but it's a sin to reveal the "working mechanisms" of His creation. So let's allow for schools to teach our young people about the physical properties of the universe such as physics, chemistry, biology and evolution. Evolution is just one of G-d's tools that He used during the 7 days of Genesis and it's interesting to know how the world looked as it was changing to be made ready for us to live out the ultimate dream of creation. However, evolution theories has, in my humble opinion, some perspective problems, and it makes assumptions that nature has no ultimate goal that is evolving us towards. In fact both science and religion need to take a step back and reassess their positions and their assumptions before continuing forward, because the marriage of science and faith although inevitable, needs to be done at just the right time. The road towards the revelation that there is a creator is a deeply personal and often difficult path to walk down, and I personally believe religious initiation should not begin until "the call goes out".

September 1, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • sn0wb0arder

that is fascinating.

September 1, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • The Son At Dawn

Hey Me, your grammar sucks man!
      Shuddap man I just woke up!
      Oh I'm not cutting you any slack dude, if your grammar is wrong, so is your argument!
      Oh Me, you're such a jerk some times.
      I know.

September 1, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • putty

I've always loved the idea that studying evolution was studying God's mechanism, although I suppose that idea upsets people because it posits a deist view of God (the view of our founding fathers, by the way).

I take issue with your statement "makes assumptions that nature has no ultimate goal that is evolving us towards." We so not make assumptions about this – we know it as fact. Science does not accept assumptions. You cannot publish a paper with an assumption, and papers are the currency of science. Evolution can only work on the previous iteration, not create something entirely new from scratch. The result is that all biological bodies are extremely inefficient. In the lab, where there are no such constraints and we design what we like, we can create vastly more efficient organs, muscles and skeletons.

September 1, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • The Son At Dawn

Yep, these experiments operate outside of the time constraints of the current stage of evolution that we are in. The big bang banged, and we're still in the middle of it. Who is to say that the evolution of our bodies isn't leading towards stronger muscles and the eventuality of eternal life? Our souls are still being tempered and tested, and it's likely everything about creation is still being modified. Why? Because we exist within a time frame, if we existed outside of this 'variable' we would already be in our perfect states, which have already been determined because those events would have already have taken place. In fact we exist in a world where the paradigm is such that I exist in both places at the same time, in a perfected state outside my perception while simultaneously experiencing the work that it took to get to that point.

September 1, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • sn0wb0arder

son at dawn – your second post is interesting, but is based on nothing at all. it sounds as if you made it up on the spot.

September 1, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • The Son At Dawn

What was made up on the spot was the order of those ideas and the fact that I'd not brought them together in that way or this context before. I could attribute the idea that we exist in both places at once to The Matrix, but for me it comes from personal experience. 'The big bang still banging and the evolution of our bodies and souls existing within a specified time frame on the road to perfection'... that is actually something I meditate on frequently. These eyes have seen a truth that cannot be unseen. Beyond the sadness that ignorance kept me blissfully unaware of is a truth, and the gap between my understanding of that truth and how it relates to this world and my misgivings about it is the source of my sadness and the sadness of scholars.

September 1, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • The Son At Dawn

Hey Son At Dawn your grammar still sucks and you have extra words!
      Damnit I need to stop hitting that 'Post' button so quickly!

September 1, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
  9. Troy

I don't want to live in the world anymore.

-Hubert J Farnsworth

September 1, 2012 at 11:10 am |
  10. Fladabosco

Once again people choose ancient scripture, full of edits and changes and chosen to be scripture by a Roman emperor, over common sense and observation of the REAL world. Just because some idiot creates a 'museum' and makes a video with other idiots telling you to lie to your kids doesn't mean they have any sense. They obviously don't and are blinded by their desire to have faith, as these people are sometimes knows 'liars, idiots and/or hypocrites.'

Don't these people realize the rest of the world is laughing at them and feeling sorry for their children?

September 1, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • Andre Lavigueur

Andre Lavigueur here. Yes Fladabosco I thank you for adding that specific problem to my general comment,
      the kids should not be pressed upon with beliefs, as beliefs are a personal process coming with experience as we age.

September 1, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  11. Carlin123

There used to be a SEPARATION between church and state in America. Sadly that is disappearing.
    America is becoming the very thing it fears most, a Theocracy.

September 1, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Goose66

Your viewpoint is unusual. If you look at the history of the U.S., its foundation on Christianity and Judeo-Christian values has eroded tremendously over time. God, religious symbols, and prayer has been systematically cast out of the public square, public schools, TV and media, and the like. I don't see how any rational person can believe that religion is becoming MORE entangled with Government and society. Just the opposite has happened.

September 1, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • putty

Goose – I'm just glad we're not burning witches in Salem anymore.

Religion is having increasing impact on public policy. Politicians increasingly want to impose their religion on the rest of citizens. The content of biology textbooks is now something that is voted on, and can include lovely tidbits such as man living with dinosaurs and loch ness monster as fact. Interestingly, no one votes on the content of physics and engineering textbooks, only books that have elements in violation of Scripture.

September 1, 2012 at 11:27 am |
  12. cmh01

Our grandkids will wonder what the hell we were smoking when they hear we still believed in the Bible in a modern society. Either that or we'll go back to burning scientists at the steak for 'round world' heresy. We can't have both, because reason is the enemy of religion.

September 1, 2012 at 11:08 am |
  13. Darwin

Remember the scientist that grew that plant from the molecules of the earth? Yeah me either!

September 1, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Jesus Christ

Wow little Darwin, you've really struck out with that comment. I'm about to laugh myself right off my cloud! LMFAO! Would you please provide proof that I or my father, your supposed god, did indeed create molecules? And what science labs have you been in lately?
      What rock are you living under?

September 1, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • Fladabosco

Your post has no meaning. I can't create a human but that doesn't mean I have to believe fairy tales about burning bushes, reincarnation, walking on water, etc and I certainly don't have to believe this garbage about the earth being created in one 24 hr. day.

Geez!

September 1, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Darwin

Forgive me Lord and Savior... I just want to be as witty as these atheists... They seem to be so smart but it troubles me that the take Glory of our Father and place it upon themselves.

September 1, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • ME II

Remember that supernatural being that spoke (without body or air) and created everything? Yeah, me neither.

Remember that guy that was dead for 3 days and rose again? Yeah, me neither.

September 1, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  14. Marriah

OK, everyone who responded to my post: I'm not talking about whether evolution or creationism is real or not...my point was that it is idiocy to believe that a parent will actively teach a child something contrary to his/her own beliefs. I know of some atheists who teach their children nothing at all, although by not teaching they are teaching anyway, right? Why would any parent say, well, I don't believe this, but YOU should. It's stupid, no matter the the veracity of any topic.

September 1, 2012 at 11:07 am |
    • sn0wb0arder

marriah – you know atheists who teach their children nothing? i'm calling BS on that one.

September 1, 2012 at 11:10 am |
  15. Surthurfurd

Those who complain that Public Schools are failing our kids also tend to enjoy undermining any effort to teach real science or history content without their twist on things.

September 1, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  16. Andre Lavigueur

In my sense, as many's already, there are no inconsistencies between billions years evolution process and creation driven process. It is a creation of all that there is after all, isn't it, whatever form was behind it. Anyhow, the facts out there do not worry about our yet quite blind, human-downsizing habit of explaining things to secure ourselves -belief and science wise- as well as our over-sizing of the consequences of our errors of perception. But lets not forget that our need for security is also part of the natural process and is proportional to our being the most complex stuff of the known universe, aren't we "lucky"!. Facts out there will remain whatever is said down here, so lets not worry too much, science and belief will keep on stimulating each other toward the big picture, end of comment, NO.

September 1, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • Fladabosco

I agree with you but people like us are not the problem. It's people like the idiot head of the Texas school board who believes that humans walked with the dinosaurs, that the earth was created in one day, that the earth is barely older than ancient Egypt.

You want to believe god is a turnip? I don't care, enjoy, but don't try to force wacky, inane ridiculous history on public school children.

September 1, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  17. Jorge

Evolution is not sience is theory, and must scientist do not believe in it, that is also lie, they are so many loop holes in the theory is worth using the law of science to observe it, that is true science. you do not use theory to teach fact

September 1, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • eric@meister.net

Are spelling and grammar just theories too? Or did your home schooling teach you some new (de)EVOLVED version of English?

September 1, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • Old Sailor

Huh? What are you saying?

September 1, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • Avery

Jorge: That sentence needs to evolve into something we can read…that is a fact.

September 1, 2012 at 11:15 am |
  18. Darwin

Remember the other day when that random act nothing produced a cow that could speak English? Yeah ne either!

September 1, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • Old Sailor

Yes, and the Cow's name was Darwin!

September 1, 2012 at 11:15 am |
  19. Martha Prodanovich

Shame on you! In your first paragraph you use the contraction, it's as the possessive its! I have seen this mistake more than once by CNN. Who is your editor? My 6th grade English students know this! Stop the dumbing down of America!

September 1, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • Pookie Adams

I agree.

September 1, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  20. Goose66

"Nye's argument falls in line with the vast majority of scientists, who date the age of the earth and the universe as 4.5 billion years old." Wrong! Scientists believe the earth is 4.5 billion years old. The universe is more on the order of 14 to 15 billion years old, going back to the big bang.

September 1, 2012 at 11:04 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69
About this blog