home
RSS
Creationists hit back at Bill Nye with their own video
"The idea of deep time ... explains so much of the world around us," Bill Nye said in the viral video.
August 31st, 2012

Creationists hit back at Bill Nye with their own video

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN) - Bill Nye's viral YouTube video pleading with parents not to teach their children to deny evolution has spawned an online life of its own, with prominent creationists hitting back against the popular TV host.

"Time is Nye for a Rebuttal," Ken Ham the CEO of Answers in Genesis writes on his website. Answers in Genesis is the Christian ministry behind the Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky.

Nye's criticism of creationism went viral earlier this week, after being posted last Thursday.

"I say to the grownups, if you want to deny evolution and live in your world, that's completely inconsistent with the world we observe, that's fine. But don't make your kids do it," Nye says in his Big Think video, which has been viewed nearly 3 million times.

Ham writes that Nye is joining in with other evolutionists who say teaching children to deny evolution is a form of "child abuse." That idea comes in part from the atheist scientist Richard Dawkins, who in his book "The God Delusion" argues against exposing children to religion before they are old enough to fully understand it.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

"At AiG and the Creation Museum, we teach children and adults the truth concerning who they are in the Creator’s eyes — and where they came from," Ham writes. "We tell people that they do have purpose and meaning in life and that they were created for a purpose. "No, we are not just evolved animals as Nye believes; we are all made in the image of God."

Ham is the public face of a group that academics call Young Earth Creationists, though they prefer to be called Biblical Creationists. They believe in a literal interpretation of the creation account in the book of Genesis found in the Bible.

The Creation Museum also produced its own rebuttal video on YouTube that features two of their staff scientists, both Ph.Ds, David Menton and Georgia Purdom.

"[Nye] might be interested to know I also teach my young daughter about evolution and I know many Christian parents who do the same," Purdom says in the video. "Children should be exposed to both ideas concerning our past."

For the past 30 years, one popular method for Creationists to advance their cause has been to make an equal-time argument,with Creationism taught alongside evolution. In the late 1980s, some state legislatures passed bills that promoted the idea of a balanced treatment of both ideas in the classroom.

In 1987, the issue made it all the way to the Supreme Court, where a Louisiana "equal-time law" was struck down. The court ruled that teaching creationism in public school class rooms was a violation of the Establishment Cause in the Constitution, which is commonly referred to as the separation of church and state.

A key point between most scientists and many creationists is the timing for the origin of the world.

Your Take: 5 reactions to Bill Nye's creationism critique

Nye's argument falls in line with the vast majority of scientists, who date the age of the earth as 4.5 billion years old and the universe as 14.5 billion years old.

"The idea of deep time of billions of years explains so much of the world around us. If you try to ignore that, your worldview becomes crazy, untenable, itself inconsistent," Nye says in his viral video.

Young Earth Creationists say the weeklong account of God creating the earth and everything in it represents six 24-hour periods (plus one day of rest) and date the age of the earth between 6,000 and 10,000 years.

"Yes we see fossils and distant stars, but the history on how they got there really depends on our worldview," Purdom says in the museum's rebuttal. "Do we start with man's ideas, who wasn't here during man's supposed billions of years of earth history or do we start with the Bible, the written revelation of the eyewitness account of the eternal God who created it all?"

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Polling from Gallup has shown for the past 30 years that between 40-46% of the survey respondents believe in Creationism, that God created humans and the world in the past 10,000 years.

The most recent poll showed belief in atheistic evolution was on the rise at 16%, nearly double what it had been in previous years. The poll also found 32% of respondents believe in evolution guided by God.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Creationism • Science

soundoff (5,973 Responses)
  1. Davin

Deism is the way.

September 1, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

No it isn't, although it's a damn sight better and more reasonable than theism.

September 1, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
  2. Davin

I vote for Bill Nye to be our leader.

September 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • Hehe

Cause you're too stupid to vote any other way.

September 1, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
    • Sam Dawkins

Losers et al flock together.

September 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • mama kindless

Well, I don't think he would be appropriate to lead for all things, but they ought to make a department of the government that can see that separation of church and state is properly enforced interpreted to the latest extent of the law and I certainly would make him head of that.

September 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
    • Davin

At He he, your name says it all, you're the joke.

September 1, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
    • Hehe

It won't be a joke when you come face-to-face with our creator – we'll see what smart&%^ remarks you have then.

September 1, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • Gadflie

It's funny how Christians generally end up using God as nothing but a bully threat. "Just wait, you'll see". Nope. Sorry kid, fiction isn't convincing.

September 1, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • Hehe

Fair enough – just do me a favor, and make note of this conversation for later in life.

September 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
    • Gadflie

I'll be happy to if you promise to quit making your fictional god into nothing but an enforcer of lame arguments.

September 1, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
  3. Tony B

I've seen so many people calling scientists arrogant. The only thing we want is evidence that can back up assertions. The Bible is not evidence by the way.

September 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Really!!

If you haven't read it or tried to study it, you have no idea what you're talking about – which makes you stupid.

September 1, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • vincent

Ok, put your money where your mouth is: name one event in either the Old or New Testaments that has been scientifically shown and proven not to have occurred.......Just one....I don't want your opinion on the event, Just prove it did not occur. You are so big on evidence proving or disproving a theory, just give me one event proven to have never occurred......................................................................................................just what I thought

September 1, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
    • Gadflie

Vincent. Even you should know that it is always impossible to prove a negative. On second thought, you probably don't.

September 1, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • Really-O?

@vincent –

Hey, vince...

Put your money where your mouth is: name one event in either the Old or New Testaments that has been scientifically shown and proven to have occurred.......Just one....I don't want your opinion on the event, Just prove it did occur. You are so big on proving the bible, just give me one event proven to have occurred......................................................................................................just what I thought

You're a fool, vincent.

September 1, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • Mikey

There's a lot of people here who have not read the Bible and are just talking out of their rear end. They talk simpleton talk because they are too lazy and full of themselves to even try to learn any other side besides their side. That is why they are just fools. A good debater on the side of evolution (although none found on this string) learns all the sides of a subject to present a good argument – unlike what I've seen here. Here, you just have a bunch of stupid people mouthing off as if they think they know something when in fact, they don't even know how to put up a half decent argument for something they don't really know much about to begin with.

September 1, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
    • Tony B

I am amazed that I have been called stupid by someone here. All I ask for is evidence.
      Now Vincent. you want want me to provide evidence that the Bible has something factual wrong in it . Let me turn this around – you reject the Koran I take it? Can you prove to me that it is incorrect. The same false logic applies.
      Mikey – I am not mouthing off, look at what is written here. Evidence please !

September 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
  4. eyeswideopen

As a former atheist, when confronted with the question of Jesus Christ, I simply could not rebuke his existence. Thousands of people were witness to His healings, let alone His complete control of all things. Simply amazing. So say what you want, I don't care. I was an hard core atheist for 46yrs,but not anymore. I have a soul and my life has a purpose that I never could see while living in the dark all these years. Go ahead my fellow former atheists argue all you want, I've been there on your side for so long. I argued all the reasons that you all do now. My eyes have been opened and I've been allowed to "see". I wish you all well in your lives. Remember St Paul was a persecuter of Christians- an atheist. In fact most of the apostles were just that-non believers. Simon was a tax collector working for the Romans.An atheist,just like the rest of you.

September 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

Mental delusion should be medically checked. Also, my guess is Simon was looking for a 13-some. Remember when Jesus told his followers to leave their wives and families. We all know why.

September 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

If Jesus was a god he sure did not have anything new to say. A son of the creator of the universe should be able to impart wisdom that man did not know about.

September 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • where does god go for vacation

Paranoia central. Atheists are out to get christians or any other religion. Just pointing out the huge flaws involved in believing that texts from centuries ago contain the truth about anything, let alone denying verifiable science.
      Did you conversion involve a medical procedure?

September 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

What he really means is blessed are the makers of all dairy products.

September 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • vincent

Gadflie: Occam was a man....I am a man, you are a man.....we are equal in that regard......I am talking of a Designer......Honestly, I was hoping for a better anwer than a reference to Occam. That is like appealing to Carl Sagan for answers to the universe. He was as flawed as me, as you, and as Occam....... Like I said, no one has been able to answer the Designer question to me. All i have gotten are questions about the depth of my intellect and intellectual dishonesty. Again, it is as if you all have it figured out, but the rest of the world hasn't quite caught up to you......Why is it that man cannot grasp the idea of One more infinitely powerful than himself? Simple....pride......Anyway, I cannot go on any more tonight, I got to get back to my cave, light the fire, and feed my kids the stegosaurus I killed today. By the way, read the comment posted from "eyeswideopen". Once you have, go to amazon and order the book, "Darvwin's Black Box" by Harvard professor Philip Johnson. You may not have the whole story. Then practice a bit of intellectual honesty yourself.....

September 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

Who designed the designer Vinny?

September 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • Gadflie

Vincent, sorry kid, but Occam's observation is valid. Just because you don't like it doesn't change that fact. But, facts really aren't your friend, are they?
      Ok, let's check your intellectual honesty. Just for amusement. Let's see exactly what evidence would you accept as sufficient to show that evolution is indeed a fact. How about the absolute gold standard? If I can show you sufficient evidence of every single evolutionary step between two different species (species defined by the strictest scientific standard, they do not interbreed), each step testable and verifiable by any test or standard that you like, would you then accept that as sufficient evidence that evolution is indeed a fact? If not, why not?

September 1, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
    • Harald

Eyeswideopen:
      "Thousands of people were witness to His healings..............". How do you know ? Have you been there ? Do you have first hand witness accounts ? Proof of nay kind ?........Or, did you get your "knowledge" from a book that was written over the span of several hundred years by a number of completely unconnected people ? and translated many times.
      You are not talking about facts or even evidence but just tell us about what you believe for some unknown reason. This is fine, but not more than your personal opinion.

September 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
    • check it out

eyeswideopen – good for you.

The world is full of fools, as you can see by the below writings. They can reject God as God loves us so much, He gave us the ability to make choices. If they want to reject Jesus, they can. And when they die, he'll just grant their wish.

September 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
    • Gadflie

Check it out. Omniscient god. Free will. Pick one, you can't have both in the same universe. It's an obvious impossibility.

September 1, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • mama kindless

I know, RL, isn't it obvious. Why don't people see through that crap.

September 1, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
    • mama kindless

Sorry, RL – add question marks where appropriate. Mama kindless do get careless with punctuation after a rye manhattan. my goodness.

September 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"And when they die, he'll just grant their wish."

What happend to love your enemies and forgiveness....a moral god would not care if we believe or not...

September 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
    • End Religion

@eyeswideopen: i think we all understand this scenario. It's prevalent in jailhouses, hospitals and retirement homes. You're old and frightened to think of what will become of you after death. You do not need to be afraid. It's a tough concept to grasp, understanding that death is the end for us all. Believing in a creator makes it all a lot easier: where we come from, why are we here and where do we go after death? These huge questions... we have real answers for but they're no very reassuring. It is more comforting to put it all in the hands of someone else. We do understand your fear.

September 1, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
  5. WASP

this video said it all; lacuna coil "heaven's a lie"

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wfRHPsRGkk&w=640&h=360]

September 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
  6. vincent

Gadflie: I have posted several times tonight, asking a simple question: If evolution is deemed true, why has there been no official pronouncement of that fact, oh yeah, it is still theory.....I cannot get a simple answer from all the intelligent folk on this site as to how it all began without a Designer, not ONE.......Until someone, anyone, can tell me how the elements came together, how they survived in the soup, how design appears everyfrigginwhere throughout the universe, how even the smallest bacteria resulted in this creature called man, then all other attempts to convince me to abandon my belief in that Designer, are doomed to end in frustration.....

September 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

Who designed the designer?

September 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • Gadflie

Your ignorance is not much of an argument. First, like gravity and plate tectonics, evolution is both a fact and a theory. The fact is because there is no actual scientific doubt that it happens. The theory is our explanation of it. And, teaching you evolution really isn't something that I need to do. If you were actually interested in aleviating your ignorance, you would do some study on your own. But, since it is willful ignorance, I see no reason to bother.

September 1, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • Gadflie

Vincent, ponder this though. Your "theory" (no, it doesn't actually qualify as a theory in the scientific sense) requires that a more complex being (god, the most complex being imaginable) has to exist before a simpler thing (the universe) can happen. William of Occam is rolling in his grave thanks to your intellectual dishonesty.

September 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

You show you ignorance when you don't know a scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment.".

September 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • .o.

Rational Libertarian – "Who designed the designer?"

Who else? JC (Penney)

September 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • .o.

I think it is often obvious when you don't have a firm answer to something, but where other answers – even if embedded in tradition, are just obviously wrong.

September 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • matt

a lot of people wonder who God is, where he came from? but we dont understand eternal "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word WAS God" He is his law. "Logos" "system of laws" "codex of the universe" all he ever tells us about himself (we default to masculine pronoun?) is just that "I AM" alpha and omega what happens when the beginning and end are the same? so from him, we describe the universe around us. we only define the laws that already exsist

September 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • matt

It goes on to say the word became flesh and dwelt among us (Jesus) There are other parts in the Old Testament when it talks of him coming down, but never living as one of us. Interesting.

September 1, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
    • nostrilpenetration

The Pope has officially announced the "reality" of evolution. Actually the last 3 Popes all did.

September 1, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
    • niknak

Just because you are ignorant to what the theory is, does not mean the theory is not valid.
      I bet you know nothing of quantem mechanics, but that does not mean is does not exist or is not true.
      Vinnie, try reading a book, or going to a natural history museum or even educating yourself about evolution on the internet.
      Next, try understanding what the definition of the theory means.
      I have the feeling that you have no idea what proof it even requires for science to deem something a theory.
      And is your standard for believing something is so high, how the hell can you believe the fables of 2000 year old goat herders?

September 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
    • matt

1.618...... its everywhere just look around there is a design and structure to the universe

September 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
    • niknak

So that is all you need Matt, some obscure reference in a book that was written 2000 years ago by unknown authors.
      I guess the religion scammers need to eat too. Which is where you come in.
      Keep up the good work Matt, and be all that little sheep that you can be.

September 1, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • matt

"obscure reference" its the basis of Christianity... The authors of the New Testament are well known!!! Their names are on there books!!! Matthew, Mark, Luke and John??? lol!!! And yes they wrote them as seperate accounts of Jesus approximately 2000 years ago. The Old testament is much much older

September 1, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • donna

Evolution is an observable fact.

September 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  7. jim

I am a scientist who was trained in an d who works in the field of evolutionary biology. As far as religious beliefs go I am a Bokononist which is a religion that appeared in "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut. Its one tenet is "All religions are lies. Live by the ones that make you healthy, happy and wise." But when it comes to science there are some rather strict rules that must be obeyed. If it is not possible to conduct an experiment to falsify a hypothesis it cannot be considered. In other words if you can't do an experiment to prove a hypothesis is wrong it is not a scientific hypothesis. Since no one has come up with an experiment that can be conducted to disprove the existence of God, or the creation stories advanced by various human societies they cannot be considered in a scientific context and have no place in science classes. As a scientist I have no opinion to advance on religious questions because I have no tools that allow me to consider the various answers. There is no experimental evidence to argue that Christianity is any better than Islam or Judaism or any other religion at least from a scientific point of view. For this reason science is ill equipped to answer religious questions because it is not allowed to invoke supernatural causes to explain things. Similarly religion is not equipped to answer scientific questions because it operates under a different set of rules. So I do not weigh in on religious questions. I suppose I have my own beliefs about religious questions but I have no way of knowing if they are any better or worse than what anyone else thinks so I keep them to myself unless directly asked for my opinion. But I can evaluate answers to scientific questions and I can know when I am right or wrong and the degree of certainty that I can attach to things. Religion and science are two fundamentally different ways of looking at the world and they should remain separate. It is like using a hammer to saw a piece of wood. You need to use the right tool for the job and religion is not equipped to answer scientific questions.

September 1, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
    • vincent

Jim you have great points to offer.....However, your logic does not seem to resonate with those who have already determined there is nothing to Intelligent Design, or to a Designer......They have it all figured out, and because they are so super smart, they insult those who believe otherwise....Whew! So glad they have it all figured out.....There is tremendous design everywhere in the universe, yet we are to just swallow the lie that it just happened......Are you kidding me? That idiotic nonsense. Honestly man, I am not the sharpest crayon in the box, but you cannot tell me from the observable evidence that there is not a Designer......You want me to believe that from original chaos we got order in the universe???!!! If you believe that, then pardon me, but you are not only ignorant, but deceitfully so.......

September 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • Harald

Vincent, in science we prefer to talk about theories rather than facts. The term "fact" is too absolute and often, what was considered fact (e.g. flat earth) was eventually proven wrong.
      So, it's better to talk about theories. However, theories have different probabilities of being true. The more evidence supporting a theory, the more likely it is that this theory is true.
      Now, the "theory" of an ID has a very low probability of being true because there is no evidence (an the scientific sense) supporting it as far as I'm aware of.
      Science doesn't just come up with some crazy idea and says this is a new truth. Everything is based on lots of research into the particular topic and not only that, theories are also peer reviewed. In other words, there must be agreement in the scientific community before something will be accepted.

September 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
    • where does god go for vacation

You're right. We cannot prove or disprove god. By extension a lot of christians therefore believe that that the bible is the literal truth. As a scientist you know that science proves that a lot of the bible is not true. Evolution is a fact; the earth is way more than 6-10,000 years old, etc. Given that science has an explanation for pretty much everything that religion attributes to gods – does it make sense that gods are real or the product of ignorant minds. (I mean ignorant in the sense of an ancient tribe 1000s of years pre-science).

September 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

He probably goes to a playground. That's like a candy store to god.

September 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • Hehe

Read The Bible.

September 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • End Religion

@vincent: Your "observable evidence" is in fact not measurable evidence. You have something backward... we are not asking you to believe anything. There are facts about how the world came to be. You can disregard them because you find them hard to swallow, but your disregard doesn't make them less factual.

September 1, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • donna

The same standard of evidence should be applied to all investigation of the universe whether people consider it's in the religious category or a scientific one. If magic doesn't exist when you are asking a question about gravity, it's not going to suddenly exist because you ask a question about a deity.

September 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • frespech

Sorry Jim but this is to Donna
      What observable evolution have you seen in your lifetime? Simply wondering because I am 63 and have not seen anything, but perhaps I am not looking in the correct place.

September 5, 2012 at 9:33 am |
    • Horus

@fres – domesticated dogs.....human evolutionary experiment yields breeds for specific purposes (we created them).....

September 5, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

frespech, antibiotic resistance and changing flu shots not only happen in your lifetime, but in a matter of months and years.

September 5, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

frespech, this one's a little harder to comprehend, but if you are 63 do you have children and grandchildren that inherited a combination of your traits and those of their other parent? Are they like you but not exactly like you? And do they pass some of those traits on to their children? You are observing evolution.

September 5, 2012 at 9:49 am |
  8. GunnerGA

The EARTH is 4.5 billion years old, not the Universe. The UNIVERSE is at least 14 billion years old - and possibly much older. Dating the Universe is merely function on our ability to see fainter objects where the light reaching earth has been traveling the longest - close to the time of the Big Bang.

September 1, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  9. Davin

Bill Nye for president!

September 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
  10. Jason

I read an article the other day about how an implant let a dead guy hear for the first time. My immediate though after "how cool is that" is that it was science that brought about his miracle and not religion.

September 1, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • Jason

Deaf guy, lol not dead guy. But then again, there are a lot of dead people brought back by science in our hospitals too.

September 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • End Religion

@jason: yes, i suppose that'll be next on the creationist agenda if not already. We are learning how to bring people "back from the dead" so to speak, in that we are learning how to revive people who've been "clinically dead" for longer periods than we've been able to in the past. In particular, some surgery now uses this discovery to bring body temperatures way down so that when the heart is stopped the body can survive "in death" for longer periods before brain damage begins. I suppose jesus freaks will begin claiming this as evidence jesus could have "come back from the dead" even though they likely would have tried to do that with leeches during that period in history.

September 1, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
  11. Gadflie

I fully believe in teaching children in public schools about the evidence supporting evolution and the evidence supporting creationism. But, that would ignore creationism too, wouldn't it?

September 1, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

Teacher- OK class, today we will be discussing the scientific evidence for creationism.

Crickets chirping.

Teacher- Class dismissed.

September 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • Jason

I'm sure they could do a number on why creationism is crap.

September 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
  12. Michael

Which isn't a truthful statement. Telling kids, "Evolutionists think people evolved from monkeys, and that's wrong," is dishonest and indoctrination. It isn't TEACHING them *anything*.

September 1, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
  13. Sam Yaza

mono theism is a lie he whole book is a lie Abraham worshiped multiple gods
    El Elyon was his most high not Yahweh

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZY2eeozdo8&w=640&h=360]

Yahweh is a lair

September 1, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

Isn't Yahweh El's son in some mythology?

September 1, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

no El Elyon mad Asherah buy speaking to the waves of the sea,.. he then slept with Asherah, and gave birth to the other gods,.. then he died and gave life to the universe Ahserah got lonely hooked up with Baal gave birth to Yahweh,.. abandoned him because she had a prediction of evil he came baked and wrecked hell on earth, Lilith cast him into pandemonium,.. we he killed Baal,. then escaped from pandemonium went to heaven enslaved his mother and all the angels,.. turned his mother into his concubine,.. she gave birth to
      משטמה, Mastema -the judge rules over hell in Baals place
      מטטרון, Metatron – the voice is a total duche
      שמיחזה, Samyaza, is the most beautiful regards of what that @ss hat Iofiel tells you,. i was once knowledge know rebellion

and their the family lineage,.. incest run in the family with good for some reason,.. but once you marry a human ever one gets mad

September 1, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • End Religion

In early cultures incest likely HAD to be common practice so the race could survive, likely even with youngsters. Its a disturbing chapter in human ascendency. Fortunately populations expanded and we slowly realized incest was then holding us back with birth defects. As with with religion, some cultures simply cannot seem to move beyond tradition even though those traditions have been proven harmful, so there are still cultures participating in incest. In this regard, incest and religion go hand in hand.

September 1, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
  14. vincent

Ok, here we go again for those of you who believe in evolution, yet do not believe in a God who began the processes......Most, I shall repeat for those of you who are a bit slow, MOST of the people in this world believe in a Designer, who is higher, and infinitely more intelligent than the designed( yes, that includes you too, Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son). Does that mean that MOST of the people in the world have incredibly high IQ's? Of course not.....But it does show that MOST of the people look at the observable universe and come to the humble conclusion that they are here due to Someone else, not emanating from a swamp. Most of those MOST people also believe that only arrogant and prideful folk can look at the same universe and conclude that man is king.....How arrogant you are.....If evolution was a FACT, we could all throw our outdated beliefs away, and be as intelligent as you......One day, you will know whether we are created, or the elements of a primordial soup.......Don't let your arrogance and pride keep you from common sense. MOST of the people living, and who have ever lived have looked into that same universe and concluded there is a DESIGNER.......But you, the intelligent among us, ignore the evidence of design and resort to stupid name-calling, and fatuous blather......Satisfied??????

September 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • rocinante

Which of the 30 thousand creation myths is the correct one, vincent?

Or are you claiming they are all correct?

September 1, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • Gadflie

What evidence exactly?

September 1, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

People listen to Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. People are idiots. You are the arrogant d.ickheads who ignore evidence. Also, globally, the usually idiotic majority actually come good and believe in evolution.

September 1, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • Harald

It's always amazing to see people like Vincent talk nonsense with a conviction that one might believe they are talking science.
      Vincent, if you look at the universe and "conclude" that there must be some kind of a designer then you are telling us about your belief which most likely is a result of your impotence to understand the universe.
      For the rest of us, we see the universe as an amazing structure that still has a lot of unsolved riddles for us and the goal for SCIENCE, not church , is to find the answers to those questions.
      As to mankind and anything else in the universe: I know you hate to hear it, but there is no deeper purpose to anything (at least not until somebody can provide proof to the contrary).
      Life is easy......much easier than religion makes you believe. We only have one goal and this is living life as best as we can because it's the only one we have.

September 1, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
    • Really-O?

@vincent –

Textbook argumentum ad populum. Look it up. And, once again, evolution is both a theory and a fact. I've included a link to an article from the National Academy of Sciences explaining these concepts. Read. Learn.

September 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • dmcentire

Ok, as a religious person, I sure wish religious people would think before they answer. Science has tools that consider how things happen, and it uses those tools to the best of their ability but also limited to the "how" question. Religions (and philosophy) try to look at the "why" question, and the tools here are different and also limited to this question. Taking the Bible as a science manual is misreading it, because the Bible isn't interested in science, it is interested in why. Science might be able to tell us how we got here, but it cannot tell us why. Science cannot comment on the value of life. So for those of you who like to bash religious people, consider that only religious/philosophical viewpoints actually consider our purpose and value (science cannot and will never be the judge as to whether these are right or wrong). The creationist/evolution argument is a waste of time, because it is like basketball players and football players using the rules of their games to play baseball.

September 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
    • End Religion

@ vincent: unfortunately most people in the world do not understand the earth from a scientific viewpoint. Because they do not, they make up stories about its origins to soothe their fears. The easiest story to make up, when one does not understand how the earth came to exist, is that something or someone smarter than you made it. It quickly solves the dilemma for you without needing to actually understand stuff that is indeed not all that easy to understand. But there's no reason to go on with the fantasy. We know how the world came to exist and it didn't involve any deity. Embrace that fact and celebrate that we can now move forward in a world of facts, reason and logic, and not based on fantastical nonsense.

September 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • niknak

OK Vinny, show me in your bible where it talks about intelligent design.
      Guess what, intelligent design is never mentioned.
      Because intelligent design was just invented as a "theory" about 20 years ago by creationists to try to keep their magic man in the equation somehow.
      It was deemed factually insufficient, and a judge said it could not be taught in our public schools.
      Why is it so hard for you to let go of your fairy tale?
      Why do you fundies have such a hard time saying "we don't know?"
      Just becuase we don't know, yet, how everything started does not mean a god was behind it.
      Why does that bother you so much?

September 1, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
  15. Michael Swartz

Without question I support Bill Nye. To support the creationist is just asking to go back to the Dark Ages.

September 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • frespech

End Religion- Where did whatever particles that you imagine that began this great concept come into existence from. You see its the nothing from nothing argument.

September 5, 2012 at 9:51 am |
  16. Phazon

The bible mentioned the earth was round far before science figured it out read Isiah. Who could have possibly known the way Jesus was to die and how he would be buried far before he was even born.

September 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • Gadflie

It also mentioned that it had corners. And the prophesy that Jesus repeated the most often didn't come true and his self-imposed deadline has passed.

September 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • Michael

Actually, Phazon, do your research. When it calls the Bible round ("the circle of the earth" being its exact words), it's calling it a DOME. Complete with hatches at the top that the rain falls through. Medieval artists actually painted pictures of the Bible's description of the Earth.. it's quite humorous.

September 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
  17. Phazon

You cannot make something from nothing do you people know nothing of physics? God is there false religion and false christianity ruins God for most people. People if you would actually close your eyes and realize that there is a rebellious spirit named Satan you would understand that false religion, political affairs belief in aliens, evolution is all a means to turn people from God so much easiar for him when people refuse that there is a God all together bible truth thers is no hell only a certain amount go to heaven when they die. The fact of the matter is that if everyone was a true Christian we would have love peace and honesty and justice world wide. The problem is this no body wants to leave their false beliefs cause people dont want to be held accountable

September 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm |

Did the lobotomy hurt?

September 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • Davin

Read Steven Hawkins theory.

September 1, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • where does god go for vacation

you seem to believe that a god can come from nothing or just exist. So why don't you believe that a universe can come from nothing or just exist.

September 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • End Religion

@phazon: you rely on a god to tell you what to do because you do not want to be accountable for your actions. Something can come from nothing.
      [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUe0_4rdj0U&w=640&h=360]

September 1, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  18. elijahi34

God has taken the foolish things to confound the wise. Just like many before him, his spiritual eyes will awaken when passes on. The Lord says that His salvation goes from generation to generation. The last time I checked the bible was still around. You O man will die. When those that hate God are dead and gone, His Word is still hear going on from generation to generation.In this corner the undisputed heavy weight champion of the world, THE WORD OF GOD! Everybody along with every Kingdom that has come up against the Word of God has failed. Rome, Greece, Babylon and Egypt just to name a few countries that were once great and powerful. Heaven and earth will pass, but My Words will stand. Jesus baby!

September 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm |

Read above comment.

September 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • vincent

well said.....it is interesting to note that if evolution were true, why does man still live only three score and ten years( on average), as it is said in the Old Testament.....I would think that if we were evolving, and natural selection would be at work, well, certainly by now we would be seeing longer and longer life spans.....In some ways we do, but at the cost of degenerative ailments, and dementia/alzheimers....... Oh no, could it be that the OT is true? No way, the Intelligentsia among us have proven by their sophistication and mental acuity that that could never be the case. They have it alll figured out.....So- I would think since evolution is now proven fact, all the theological text books from every corner of the world would be thrown into a huge bonfire, and mankind could celebrate it's liberation from morality......Yet, in a remarkable twist.......the books still abound while "the fool says in his heart, there is no God"...............

September 1, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Gadflie

Vincent, really? That's your best? From an evolutionary standpoint, any years after the last reproduction doesn't count. Even you knew that, right?

September 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Harald

Vincent you are amazingly ignorant of how evolution works. What has the life span of an organism to do with evolution ????
      PLEASE, get yourself educated before posting nonsense.

September 1, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
    • End Religion

@elijah: i imagine the bible will now live on for the lifespan of man, since it made it through to the time of the printing press, surviving mass book extinctions practiced by Chinese, Aztec, religious authorities and others until this day when it is relatively trivial to preserve and reproduce any book. But I long for the day when, in general, the world looks back in disbelief at how anyone who trusted its words as truth could be so deluded.

September 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • where does god go for vacation

@vincent. even though life-span has nothing to do with the point you think you're making – average life-span has only just reached 70ish.

September 1, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  19. Mopey

"...pleading with parents not to teach their children to deny evolution has spawned an online life of it's own, with prominent creationists hitting back against the popular TV host. [sic]"

"It's" is a contraction, meaning IT IS. "Its" is the possessive form, and would have been appropriate here. I see that budget cuts have had caused problems for your proofreaders.

September 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

If grammar, semantics and punctuation are your thing, avoid the comments section. You'll be here 'til Christmas making corrections.

September 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
  20. MDB5582

We'll let you teach Creationism in school when you let us teach Evolution in Church.

September 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • Mopey

Oh. I didn't realize that you had the ability to make that kind of decision.

September 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Mopey...creationism is religion and as such has no place in school science programs...and again what is there to " teach" about creationism? You can only say it is a story.. on par with and as true as a Harry Potter movie.

September 1, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69
About this blog