home
RSS
Marriott head praises Romney for bringing Mormonism ‘out of obscurity’
September 2nd, 2012

Marriott head praises Romney for bringing Mormonism ‘out of obscurity’

By Rachel Streitfeld, CNN Political Producer

Boston (CNN) - The head of the Marriott hotel chain, in deeply personal and reflective remarks at a New Hampshire church Sunday, credited Mitt Romney with changing Americans' perceptions about Mormonism.

J.W. Marriott Jr., a hotel magnate from one of America's most prominent Mormon families, spoke during services at the Wolfeboro branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - where Mitt and Ann Romney were also in attendance.

In his testimony, Marriott said he saw the church "coming out of obscurity" thanks to Romney's prominence as the GOP presidential nominee, and marveled that 90% of the media reports on Romney's Mormon faith had "been favorable."

Read the full story on CNN's Political Ticker.

- shirleyhenrycnn

Filed under: Mitt Romney • Mormonism

1. donner

Six months ago, I knew nothing about the Mormon church. Now that I do, not only will I not vote for Romney, I want Utah back.

September 5, 2012 at 12:30 am |
  2. pastmorm

Take it from someone that's been there, done that...

September 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • Amanda

I am a member of the LDS faith myself...I didn't get very far into the video before I wanted to scream. Whomever told that poor girl that Satan is gay and that her father was a pervert, etc. shouldn't be involved in leadership in the church any longer. That isn't NOT something that is a general belief in the church. Whomever that was injected their own opinion into the situation. It is SO unfortunate. Golly, I wish I could give her a hug....

September 5, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • pastmorm

Oh Amanda, I hope you had a good scream. Oddly enough, I'm a 7th generation mormon and I've been taught the exact same things that the woman in the video was. It seems that you attended a mormon church that told you to get onto chat boards and deny they truth about their cult? Thank goodness I'm no longer a part of the lies.

September 6, 2012 at 11:06 am |
  3. Captain Moroni

Moroni 10:3-5

September 4, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • Jesus Christ

moroni sounds like a pizza topping. Still, giving your so called "scripture" reference falls upon uninterested ears since we all believe your book to be a book of man made fairy tales created by two crooks.

September 4, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  4. I am Here

September 4, 2012 at 11:00 am |
  5. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer really changes things
    Proven

September 4, 2012 at 4:39 am |
    • hal 9000

I'm sorry "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but you assertions regarding atheism and prayer are unfounded. I see that you repeat these unfounded statements with high frequency. Perhaps the following book might help you overcome this problem:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

September 4, 2012 at 8:50 am |
  6. Q

Watch the Morman episode of South Park if you want a good description of what Morman's believe and how it started.

September 4, 2012 at 2:45 am |
  7. tonia barringer

won't be staying in Marriott hotels anymore- to bad they lost a silver elite member- stayed in one last night.

September 4, 2012 at 12:00 am |
  8. Colin

Actually, far from promoting his faith, Romney has avoided it like the plague. And who can blame him, because believing in the Joseph Smith story, Planet Kolob, post-mortem baptisms and all the other neo-mythological garbage that makes up Mormonism would brand him a complete nutjob (which he clearly isn't BTW).

September 3, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Clearly there is a lot of unwanted and embarrassing baggage associated with the Mormon faith. If you try to bring it up with a Mormon you get a blank stare followed by a hasty suggestion that you learn something about the "real" Mormon faith. They need a few centuries to get it all behind them. People still know about the conman who read "Reformed Egyptian" through a rock in his hat.

September 3, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
  9. Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

September 3, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
  10. Jesus Christ

Mormons were never hidden in obscurity...they are always "in your face" about their beliefs. Another reason to NOT have a mormon in the White House.

September 3, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  11. Chick-a-dee

Marriott... another business to add to my list of "Do not patronise".

September 3, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  12. sn0wb0arder

i had a couple of very attractive female mormon missionaries stop me on my run the other day.

i have to hand it to the mormons. if you are going to send out missionaries. send out the ones that are enjoyable to look at. i never even would have paused had it been a couple of guys.

September 3, 2012 at 9:41 am |
  13. Colin

Time to replace all Bibles and Books of Mormon with Dawkin's "The God Delusion" and David Hume's "An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding".

September 3, 2012 at 9:29 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Maybe there'll be a time when all books on the subject are just curiosities and considered strange.

September 3, 2012 at 9:44 am |
    • old ben

Well in the mean time, bibles or qurans can comes in handy as bath tissue. I find the Psalms part to be the most like Charmin.

September 3, 2012 at 11:00 am |
  14. Reality

Why the Christian Right no longer matters in presidential elections:

Scroll back to p. 2.

September 3, 2012 at 7:54 am |
    • Mirosal

Ever notice how the Christian (or religious) "right", is seldom, if EVER, right?

September 3, 2012 at 8:03 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

The religious right: "We may not always be right, but by God we're never wrong."

September 3, 2012 at 9:00 am |
  15. AvdBerg

Mitt Romney’s faith does not stand in the teachings of Christ but rather an image of the spirit and god of this world and a false Christ (Matthew 24:24; 2 Cor. 11:13-15).

For a better understanding of the history of the Mormon Church and his quest for the Presidency of the United States of America, we invite you to read the articles ‘Mormon Church – Cult and Spiritual Harlot’ and ‘Barack Obama – President of the United States of America’, listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

All of the other pages and articles listed on our website explain how and by whom this whole world has been deceived as confirmed in Revelation 12:9.

September 3, 2012 at 7:10 am |
    • mama kindless

Revelation?? Of course all of it is fairy tales, but someone actually wants to cite that crap? Everyone knows some dude was high as a kite and crashed his camel into a lake of bath salts or worse to write that mess. My goodness.

September 3, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

No offense, but that book has been written by so many people, then edited by more people. Nothing in that book can be attributed to "christ"

September 4, 2012 at 8:47 am |
  16. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

September 3, 2012 at 5:39 am |
    • hal 9000

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

September 3, 2012 at 10:29 am |
    • JPX

Atheism is very healthy for children. Why teach your children make-believe? How will that help them in life? I hate to break it to you but there is no magical man in the sky. The fact that you constantly feel the need to post suggests that perhaps you don't really believe what you're saying.

September 4, 2012 at 11:29 am |
  17. Churl

I will never stay at a Marriots now. Thank you CNN.

September 3, 2012 at 1:59 am |
    • Mark From Middle River

So, how is this different from some other person saying that they will not go into a business because the CEO or owner is African American, White, Jewish, Gay, Muslim.. etc.. ?

Why do all yall' on the extremes all sound the same no matter who your hatred is directed at?

September 3, 2012 at 3:24 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Bed bugs, Gideon Bibles, Mormonism ... there's a list and I could go on.

September 3, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • Chick-a-dee

Romney has had a close, long-standing, personal and business connection with Marriott International and its founders. He served as a member of the Marriott board of directors for many years. From 1993 to 1998, Romney was the head of the audit committee of the Marriott board.

During that period, Marriott engaged in a series of complex and high-profile maneuvers, including "Son of Boss," a notoriously abusive prepackaged tax shelter that investment banks and accounting firms marketed to corporations such as Marriott. In this respect, Marriott was in the vanguard of a then-emerging corporate tax shelter bubble that substantially undermined the entire corporate tax system.

Son of Boss and its related shelters represented perhaps the largest tax avoidance scheme in history, costing the U.S. many billions in lost corporate tax revenues.

September 3, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  18. Alpa Chino

Huh? How has he changed the way anyone thinks about Mormonism? What did I miss...?

September 3, 2012 at 12:42 am |
  19. Lisa

Of course he is going to praise him taking into account Willard Mitt Romney was named after his father, j. Willard Marriott a close family friend of Mitt's parents. They probably raised like close relatives. I still think that there is something funny and/or strange about his religion.

September 3, 2012 at 12:32 am |
  20. migi

I'll never stay at another Marriot.Bet he won't show us his tax returns either.

September 3, 2012 at 12:25 am |
    • googleman

Well, I will only stay at Marriots to offset you not staying at Marriots.

September 3, 2012 at 12:33 am |