home
RSS
September 4th, 2012

Christians take discrimination cases to Europe's top court

By Richard Allen Greene, CNN

Four British Christians urged Europe's top court Tuesday to rule that they faced discrimination because of their religious beliefs.

Two women accuse their employers of refusing to let them wear crosses openly at work.

Alongside them, a woman who declined to register gay civil partnerships and a man who did not want to give sex therapy to same-sex couples say they were unfairly dismissed from their jobs.

Gary McFarlane, the relationship counselor, said he was pleased with the way Tuesday's hearing went.

"Today, for the first time, I heard somebody talking about my rights," he said. "Surely I have some rights. I am a member of society. I have some beliefs."

He called it a "tragedy" that the case had gone all the way to the European Court of Human Rights.

He blamed "overzealous employers" who "would not consider reasonable accommodation" for his religious beliefs.

He never refused to treat a specific couple, raising his religious objections only in the abstract, said Andrea Williams, director of the Christian Legal Centre, which is supporting him.

He and the other three Christians are fighting the British government, saying it failed to protect their rights.

The case could help to draw a clear boundary in cases where religious views contradict laws against discrimination. It will have implications across 47 countries on the continent. The court ruling will not be binding in Britain in the way that a Supreme Court ruling would be, but the country is legally obliged to take it into account.

The four - Nadia Eweida and Shirley Chaplin, who wanted to wear crosses; registrar Lilian Ladele; and McFarlane, the relationship counselor - have lost every round of their battles through the British legal system.

They're now making their claims under European human rights law, focusing on guarantees of freedom of religion and freedom from discrimination at work.

Eweida, who works for British Airways, said she experienced discrimination from 2006 to 2007, when she started wearing the cross visibly and was transferred to another job. The airline has since changed its policy on uniforms to allow employees to wear religious or charity symbols.

But Chaplin, a nurse, ultimately lost her job after her employer changed its uniforms to include V-necks, which made her cross visible. Her manager asked her to remove it for fear it could lead to injury when she was working with patients, according to court papers.

She refused.

Both women lost their cases in British employment tribunals.

Eweida's tribunal ruled that wearing a cross was a personal choice, not a requirement of Christianity, while Chaplin's tribunal found there were legitimate health and safety reasons to bar her from wearing the symbol around her neck.

Chaplin said Tuesday that she didn't believe it.

"The council that runs risk assessment said they have no previous cases of injury from crucifixes," she said after the hearing concluded.

Ladele and McFarlane also lost employment tribunal battles, with the tribunals finding that their employers could require them to perform their jobs.

Their employers were entitled to refuse to accommodate religious views that contradicted British laws banning discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation, the tribunals found.

All four Christians were denied hearings further up the British legal chain, pushing their cases to the European Court in Strasbourg.

Its rulings normally take months after a case is argued.

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Britain • Christianity • Church and state • Europe • Religious liberty

soundoff (1,277 Responses)
  1. prophet

the name jesus is invented by man i.e the greeks etc and this shows that they have been deceiving people. Our Saviour didn't even know the names isous kristous etc, how dare man change what God has Given.

September 4, 2012 at 11:50 am |
  2. prophet

Mr Meacham, i ask you believe in God and not christianity, your very misled as well. The Son Of God is not jesus or lord etc, His Name is

Yeshua of Natzeret

He always was Named this, and the chrsitians have been lying to you.

September 4, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Another looney!

September 4, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

lol you gather all of your information from a bronze aged book written and edited by men. Congrats.

September 4, 2012 at 11:51 am |
  3. garrisongold@msn.com

I know, let's feed them to lions and crucify them on crosses. That will put a stop to their religion.

September 4, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

More like, get them some professional help.

September 4, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • notraitors

Another example of tolerant humanism.

You can bring the lions and crosses, and I'll bring the stakes and firewood. How does that sound?

September 4, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • Michael

From the way they act, you'd think that was already being done. Instead what we have is "I don't get to wear my idol around my neck!" even though no evidence has been presented that any other religions are allowed to do this at this business either (thus no discrimination) and "I have to work with people I hate!" Well... so do racists unless they're self-employed. Get over it.

September 4, 2012 at 11:50 am |
  4. NickZadick

Freedom of religion is a joke!! Why are people allowed special dispensation for beign too uneducated to know that organised religion is myth and fairy tales? you religious nûts need to wake up and stop talking about your ridiculous beliefs... you have apparentely no idea how fôôlish you sound !! Atheists on here do not ridicule you to TEST your faith, we come here to try to and encourage you to join the rest of the thinking human race!!

September 4, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • notraitors

I guess you're unfamiliar with the 1st Amendment. And if I want your brand of enlightenment, I 'll ask you for it.

Maybe you can go to live with all those thinking people in North Korea

September 4, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • LaLa

... because the surest way to convert someone to your way of thinking is to make fun of them & insult their intelligence. NOT. One thing most religions have known for a long time that atheists should consider if they truly want to enlighten others is that you must honor a person's culture & current belief system before trying to change it. Leading by good example (rather than by snark & biting criticism) is the surest way to get people to want to be like you.

September 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • 1234

You sound like a bitter, angry person. Nope, do not want to be like you.

September 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • NickZadick

The first amendment permits you to believe any fairy tale you want? good for you!! What arguments would you have me make appart from ridiculing you? you DO believe in fairy tales...how else can I put it? And no....I am not angry or bitter... simply completely amazed that you are so gullible... I will indeed stop posting here because you are simply too brainwashed to help! I encourage you to educate yourselves and maybe one day you will stop believing in ancient myths..but like I see often here...I don't think so.....

September 4, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
    • 1234

@NickZadick: Insulting or belittling others who do not share your point of view will get your nowhere. I don't want to think like you, just like you don't want to think like me. But I will not hold it against you or call you stupid, as you have done so succinctly.

September 4, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
  5. Michael

I came here with an open mind, ready to hear these Christians' side of the story even though time and again Western Christians have cried persecution when having to deal with issues that EVERYONE ELSE (read: non-Christians) has to deal with. And unsurprisingly, I find more of the same here, not discrimination at all.

September 4, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • notraitors

I'm sure if they were Muslim you'd be the first to scream "Islamaphobia"

September 4, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • John

I'd like a specific example or two, please, of any modern, Western nation that denies atheists the right to their beliefs or symbols of their non-religion. There are a number of examples available of Christian orgnaizations being shut down and of individual Christians receiving negative treatment from sanctioned, governmental organizations. I do not mean private individuals; I will stipulate that religious people may oppose atheist action. But what modern government does so to the same degree as to which they oppose visibly Christian actions? Again, specific examples in the modern, Western nations, please, not the Crusades, and not underdeveloped nations. Thank you.

September 4, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Michael

Actually, no, I find Islam to be even more barbaric than Christianity (which is quite an accomplishment)! But having said that, if they actually WERE being discriminated against, I'd stand by them. If it were a situation like this where they were feigning discrimination over not being able to wear a religious symbol in the workplace, or not being able to discriminate against gays, I'd be just as quick to call it nonsense.

September 4, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  6. George

Welcome to UK socialism; Part II of the Obama version coming this fall to a state near you.

September 4, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Jesus was a socialist.

September 4, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • tony

A lot less homeless n the streets and desperately poor, merely because they merely became sick and un-insurable.

September 4, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • WASP

@george: socialism works, if humans could for-go their urge to be greedy.
      pop quiz: what establishment is the greedist of all establishments........................
      answer: the roman catholic church. 🙂

September 4, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • Alverant

Obama is NOT a socialist. Learn what the word means before you use it.

September 4, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

George is still living in the Joe McCarthy era.

September 4, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • John

Respectfully, Jesus was not a socialist. Socialism is a governmental structure giving the central planners control over key means of production; this is closely related to Marx's recommended policies that take "from each according to their ability and to each according to their need". Jesus directed His followers to give of *their own* money to do good works- not to create a government that taxes money from others to do works (some good, some not so good). Jesus did not get involved in government in any such fashion- recall "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's."?

September 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • cedar rapids

"Respectfully, Jesus was not a socialist"

i am sorry but at the very least he was a liberal if he wasnt a socialist.

September 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  7. Godoflunaticscreation

September 4, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • George

I suspect he thinks differently now.

September 4, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You "suspect"? Based on what evidence, Georgie?

September 4, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

You suspect many things. None of them true. Thats the problem.

September 4, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  8. phillip meacham

I read some of these comments and frankly have a hard time believing what I am reading ,some of you are vicious with your attacks on christians,if you dont believe in God and Jesus what are you afraid of , christians are no threat to you,vengance is mine says the Lord he will deal with you,I dont have to but I will pray for you that God will open tour eyes and deal with your heart before it is to late.God have mercy on their souls for they know no better.

September 4, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Why are YOU afraid of Mohammed? I mean you don't like sharia law. Must be afraid of something. Maybe you believe in the wrong sky demon.

September 4, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • WASP

@phil: what scares us about your "god and jesus" is his followers don't act like your "jesus". that is one of the points, the other is how much the religious like to attempt to bend everyone else not of your faith by passing laws that help you push your propaganda off on our children,women and families.

September 4, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • Giordano Bruno (1548 – February 17, 1600)

",if you dont believe in God and Jesus what are you afraid of ," YOU BURNED ME ALIVE! What do you think we are afraid of? You gullible monsters kill people if you think "God" is angry. You sent people to die in concentration camps for not worshiping "Jesus." You flew two planes into the World Trade Center because someone didn't believe in "God." Your Spanish Inquisition used to snip off people's fingers for not being religious enough. What are we afraid of? YOU!

September 4, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • VoiceOf Truth

Amen, phillip meacham

September 4, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ahhahha! Christian nuts are in favor of denying the rights of others.

September 4, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Reagandem

You do know you are arguing for non-christians. It's not good to assign or associate talking points to the wrong side.

September 4, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Primewonk

" some of you are vicious with your attacks on christians,if you dont believe in God and Jesus what are you afraid of"

Because you nutters seek to force your religious myths into our secular nation, and our public schools.

You nutters wage a war on women.

You nutters wage a war on gay folks.

For god's sake, half the nutters in Mississippi say that interracial marriage should be illegal!

You wacko's are free to live YOUR lives as you want. You are not free to try and force eveyone else to live as you live.

September 4, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • notraitors

Bruno, you need to read history before you spout your secular propaganda. Hitler was not a Christian. Much of the Nazi narrative came from Germanic mythology. Hitler was a big believer in your savior Darwin's theory of evolution as it justified his attempted extermination of the Jews (since the Jews aren't fit to live so it's ok to send them to the gas chambers). He also believed in astrology which is why Churchill put an astrologer on the government payroll to find out what advice Hitler was getting.

I think you'll find secularists have done a fair amount of persecuting as well (i.e. the pagan Roman Empire persecuting Christians)

September 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Where? Are the Romans here now? If that's the best you've got, find a new cause.

September 4, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • cedar rapids

"Hitler was not a Christian. Much of the Nazi narrative came from Germanic mythology. Hitler was a big believer in your savior Darwin's theory of evolution as it justified his attempted extermination of the Jews (since the Jews aren't fit to live so it's ok to send them to the gas chambers"

oh please, hitler was a catholic, he even stated that by killing the jews he was doing god's plan.

September 4, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  9. cor

I'm a Christian AND I oppose gay marriage. That being said, I also believe that if you have a job where you are required to register partnerships (straight or gay) then you are required to do your job. If you have any kind of reservations about it go find another job. What are they supposed to do? Ask if they can please speak to a "non-christian" employee?!

September 4, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • Reagandem

Nailed it. For centuries we as Christians have argued that if you don't like it too bad.

September 4, 2012 at 11:56 am |
  10. palintwit

There is no difference between the flatulence that is organized religion or the flatulence of teabaggers.

September 4, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • notraitors

Your expelling flatulence right now so stop contributing to global warming

September 4, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • freqflyr

Help me out, what is the difference between 'organized religion' and 'religion' and 'beliefs'?

September 4, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  11. TiredODaCrap

Good to see some other countries recognizing that Christians DO have rights, too. For all that we hear about how advanced the U.S. is with preserving the rights of it's citizens, it's amazing how Christians are being persecuted on a daily basis.
    If you don't have faith, don't worry, I'm not here to go after your rights (or condem you to Hell). Do what you want, but quit taking away my rights to do the same....Yes, this does include my right to speak about what I believe.
    Still shocking to me that those who claim Christians "shout down" every other group are too busy yelling to hear their own shouts of hate every time a story involving God is printed. You don't want to believe, fine by me. Even if I can find a way to bring it up, not my job to shove anything down anyone's throat!

September 4, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

You are delusional. Why do you people believe it is your right to infringe on other peoples rights? Then you cry like babies about persecution. Sorry it's hard to hear your cries over the gun shots and bombs you rain down on people who disagree with your false god.

September 4, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Jake

"For all that we hear about how advanced the U.S. is with preserving the rights of it's citizens..."

Uh, where are you hearing this, Fox News? Just got back from living in London for 3 years and trust me, they're not exactly jealous about our civil rights! Religion is still a problem there, but it doesn't have the level of stifling presence over the population that it does in the US.

And fyi, the rest of the western world thinks it's atrocious (and it is) that the rich's country in the world doesn't even provide universal healthcare to its citizens! We don't even have the most basic of rights here, thanks to the religious right!

September 4, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • earthling

What a silly comment. How did you miss the fact that the story was about a group of Christians losing their battles against perceived discrimination, not "other countries recognizing that Christians do have rights"?

September 4, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • Alverant

Yes christians have rights, but forcing other people to obey their religion is not one of them.

September 4, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • TiredODaCrap

Thanks for proving my point, folks. No group is more persecuted and put down in the U.S. today than Christians. Don't think so, why not read the comments that not only YOU wrote, but those from the rest of the loving, accepting atheists on this and every other message board.
      It's not enough to say, I don't agree with you – you have to jump into bombing others (don't think I've done that, ever), infringing on other's rights (I guess, "live how you want to" is nothnig but hate speak), or denying others health care, etc (I guess no Dem has EVER voted for war, or against programs that may help anyone).
      Those who hate God and those who do believe are not happy with just a "you're wrong" – which if you look, I did not even put in my comment. As soon as you see God, Christian, etc, the fire and hatred shoots from your mouth (or through your keyboards in this case). POINT PROVEN!
      Again, live as you wish. You're not going to change how I believe any more than my lack of a hate-filled, non-Hell condeming comment will change your beliefs. I would ask – since you showed so much malice toward me – Do I not even have the right to speak my mind??? Doesn't sound like the Christian is the one holding back the views of the other side in this example. Again – thanks for playing and proving how horrible I am!!

September 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • TiredODaCrap

Alv – How have my comments FORCED anything on you?

September 4, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

" For all that we hear about how advanced the U.S. is with preserving the rights of it's citizens, it's amazing how Christians are being persecuted on a daily basis"

Oh you mean like what christians do? Dis...cri...min....at..ing against people because of their se...xu...al orientation?

September 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You aren't being forced to do anything. You aren't forced to visit this site and you don't have to read the comments. No one does. Even if you were being forced to read them, so what? Are you being forced to become an atheist? How?

I don't think you have a clue as to what you're talking about. There's no "forcing" here; you just don't like what you're reading. So? Don't read it. Simple!

September 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

"No group is more persecuted and put down in the U.S. today than Christians. Don't think so, why not read the comments that not only YOU wrote, but those from the rest of the loving, accepting atheists on this and every other message board."

LOL comments made on a discussion board are different than taking the rights of people away because of your religion. you need thicker skin there buddy.

September 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • Reagandem

This lie that Christians are being perscuted in industralized, democratic countries is just that, a lie. Just becuase you can no longer discriminate, marginalize or inflcit your will on people out side the confines of your organization does not make you a victim. There is nothing stopping people from joining your organization, delving into any practice or belief, but just because the government refuses to actively support your particular belief system over any other nor give you free reign to attack citizens who do wish to follow you belief system but deserves the same protections as you and from you, does not equate to discrimination. It's called equal protection. Why don't we as Christians try living harmoniously amoung others. Just because we once dominated large populations does not mean it was right nor is it ordanined by God, especially if the people we once oppressed have no say in it.

September 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • Reagandem

You're comments are all over the place. There is no train of thought. They are so incoherent, where do you begin? Take a break; deep breath and read what you wrote. I would suggest you study the history of Christianity.

September 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • cedar rapids

sorry tired but you moan about comments made then ask if you are not allowed to make comments.
      plus there is a difference between people making comments here and actually putting things into place that discriminate. A comment here is not discrimination.

and if you do not like the comments then do not make the statement that christians in the US are persecuted. They are arguably by far one of the strongest influential political groups in the country. You try running for any form of public office and claim you are an atheist and see how you fare.

September 4, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  12. Striker

Yes I am a believer in Jesus Christ, but I dont go around shoving my religion down your throats. Its up to you to believe in what you want. Its your choice what your beliefs are. Ive made my choice make your own and stop harassing blaming this and that on other peeps. Own up to your own decisions

September 4, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • Sandra kulvo

Please read and act

September 4, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  13. Peace 2 all

The prophet is correct in what he says

September 4, 2012 at 11:32 am |
  14. lindaluttrell

I see some of these cases as no different from that US chicken joint. People bringing their PERSONAL beliefs into the workplace. When you show up for work, leave the personal baggage at home...where it belongs...

September 4, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  15. palintwit

The Brits need their own version of Sarah Palin. She can ride back and forth across England in a double-decker bus, dispensing her sage advice and pearls of wisdom.

September 4, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • Bible Clown©

Sarah could tell the Brits how King George III gave us our independence from Paul Revere and his atheist army, then solve all their problems by explaining which members of their society should be targeted on fringe websites and shot down.

September 4, 2012 at 11:50 am |
  16. eeyore

...really? discrimination because they cannot openly wear their crosses? are other religious followers allowed to openly wear their symbols? if not...then too bad...that is what the employer requires...cant believe these conservative christian nuts, after years of castigating followers of other religions and discriminating them in one way form or another, are now crying discrimination...for not being able to show the world what a nut job they are? sighs...

September 4, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • Bible Clown©

Did she try pinning the X to her shirt instead, or just run crying "Lord help, a atheist done has got me fired?"

September 4, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • notraitors

September 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • cedar rapids

"And if these women were Muslim, you'd be the first to screech about "Islamaphobia""

not if their moan was not being allowed to wear a crescent pin we wouldnt.

September 4, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  17. liz

If you can not perform the legal requirements of your job, then it's time to look for work elsewhere.

September 4, 2012 at 11:30 am |
  18. Raj Alexander

38 “Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the
    Lord!”“Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”
    39 Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!”
    40 “I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”

Do the courts actually think they can silence the Gospel?! Kudos to these Christians for their witness.Blessings.

September 4, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • Jake

Do you actually think that post was in any way coherent? I should post Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven" and then write "What is wrong with these Christian nuts?"

September 4, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • cielo62

Such BS proclaim the sane! If you can't do your job using the uniform required by your employer, then find a different job. If you need a symbol to bolster your "faith" then its not much of a faith to begin with.

September 4, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • WASP

@raj: so which of the 30,000 versions of your "holy book" should the courts listen to? how about which religion should they follow? maybe you would like it if the court chose to follow islamic biblical law? so know your roll..............

September 4, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • Bible Clown©

52. These fundies are nuts.
      75. They make up scriptures.
      32. Verily, they shall tie dogs to their wagons and flee.
      96. How long, oh Lord, how long must we listen to this stuff?

September 4, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • VoiceOf Truth

Amen, Raj Alexander

September 4, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Primewonk

Thank you for the random meaningless verses from your holy book. In the spirit of fairness, here are some random verses from my holy book, the Primewonk bible. I happen to think that my random verses make a lot more sense than yours –

ADVISORY: There is an Extremely Small but Nonzero Chance That, Through a Process Know as "Tunneling," This Post May Spontaneously Disappear from Its Present Location and Reappear at Any Random Place in the Universe, Including Your Neighbor's Domicile. God Will Not Be Responsible for Any Damages or Inconvenience That May Result.

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any Use of This Post, in Any Manner Whatsoever, Will Increase the Amount of Disorder in the Universe. Although No Liability Is Implied Herein, the Believer Is Warned That This Process Will Ultimately Lead to the Heat Death of the Universe.

Einstein 16:24 Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Gould 1:15-16 Human consciousness arose but a minute before midnight on the geological clock. Yet we mayflies try to bend an ancient world to our purposes, ignorant perhaps of the messages buried in its long history. Let us hope that we are still in the early morning of our April day.

Bohr 2:11 Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it.

Szilard 88:16 I'm all in favor of the democratic principle that one idiot is as good as one genius, but I draw the line when someone takes the next step and concludes that two idiots are better than one genius.

Sagan 22:1 For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reàssuring.

Feynman 110:55 …it doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are - if it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

Hawking 41:61 A machine that was powerful enough to accelerate particles to the grand unification energy would have to be as big as the Solar System-and would be unlikely to be funded in the present economic climate.

Hippocrates 14:5 Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance.

Galileo 12:16 It is surely harmful to souls to make it a heresy to believe what is proved

Carlyle 2:2 It is a mathematical fact that the casting of this pebble from my hand alters the centre of gravity of the universe.

Fermi 1:1 The weak nuclear force does not change over time.

Oliver Heaviside 62:3 Shall I refuse my dinner because I do not fully understand the process of digestion?

C. P. Snow 5:3 Innocence about Science is the worst crime today.

Paul Valéry 3:6 One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall.

A.C. Doyle 14:8 It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts.

Clark 19:17 Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Roddenberry 68:12 We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.

deGràsse Tyson 1:1 God is an ever receeding pocket of scientific ignorance.

September 4, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • Raj Alexander

@ to my fellow forumers who replied

Jesus said “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

What the courts do is a moot point, all I can say is the Gospel will find a way, as it did to my forefathers who were worshipping idols.So as for me and my family we praise the Lord everyday and will continue to proclaiming His matchless name.Blessings.

September 4, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  19. prophet

another atheist has just shown who he is by the language, their own behaviour shows who and what they seem to be..

September 4, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • truth be trolled

DISGRUNTLED EX EVANGELICAL FORTUNE COOKIE CO. WRITER ALERT!

September 4, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • WASP

@prop: and theists have always shown their true colors by viewing themselves more worthy of equal rights than other people, mainly anyone that doesn't follow their faith.

September 4, 2012 at 11:32 am |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

The difference is that Atheists fight injustice with words while Christians, Muslims, Jews infringe on peoples rights with guns and bombs. Very telling indeed.

September 4, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • Jake

The thing you seem to not realize is that you can't generalize atheists, because we don't have a set of beliefs we agree on like religious people do. We simply recognize that the religious concept of a "god" is crazy. Anything beyond that is not about atheism, but about individual views of different atheists.

September 4, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • tony

Atheists have the same right to publicly state their lack of religious belief as believers do. I can't count the enormous number of offensive church billboards I have to see as I drive by.

September 4, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • Bible Clown©

"another atheist has just shown who he is by the language" Yes, most English-speakers are atheists these days. God, send Thy followers back to school.

September 4, 2012 at 11:56 am |