home
RSS
September 5th, 2012

Catholic nun brings her star power to DNC

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) – Sister Simone Campbell got what may have been the biggest media platform of her life on Wednesday night, when she addressed the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina. But the Catholic nun had plenty of star power before that.

Walking around Charlotte this week, Campbell was repeatedly stopped by fans who wanted to pose for pictures.

They had seen her on "The Colbert Report," pushing back on the Vatican's crackdown on American nuns, or read about the "nuns on the bus" tour that Simone organized to decry Rep. Paul Ryan's federal budget proposal.

"One woman came up to me and said 'my husband loves you; I'd be jealous if you weren't a nun,' " Campbell, 66, said Tuesday night.

By asking her to speak at their convention, the Democrats appear keen to capitalize on Campbell's budding celebrity at a moment when the official Roman Catholic Church has been critical of the Obama administration, claiming that it is infringing on religious liberty.

And at a convention that is revolving largely around an alleged GOP-led "war on women," Campbell is a poignant feminist symbol. She has stood up to the Vatican's criticisms of American nuns for what the church says is their fixation on progressive advocacy at the expense of promoting socially conservative positions.

"We're certainly oriented toward the needs of women and responding to their needs," she told Colbert in June, defending the nuns against the Vatican. "If that's radical, I guess we are."
But Campbell isn't taking marching orders from the Democratic Party, either.

When party officials asked her to speak in Charlotte, she made it plain she'd do it only if she could give voice to her anti-abortion views.

And when Democratic handlers revised a draft of her speech in a way that sounded too political to her, she told them she was happy to give her speaking slot to someone else.

The handlers were more than happy to work with her to revise the revisions.

On Wednesday night, Campbell said that Obama's health care law and expanding Medicaid coverage "is part of my pro-life stance and the right thing to do." It was the biggest applause lines in her speech, which was filled with big applause lines.

"Paul Ryan claims his budget reflects the principles of our shared Catholic faith," Campbell said later in her speech. "But the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops stated that the Ryan budget failed a basic moral test, because it would harm families living in poverty.

"We agree with our bishops," Campbell said. "I am my sister's keeper. I am my brother's keeper.
Campbell, who has a law degree from the University of California, Davis, has always been political.

Her parents took her the Democratic convention in Los Angeles to see John F. Kennedy.

But she says her work has always been fueled by a passion for helping the poor. When she's not giving interviews and staging bus tours, she works as executive director of Network, a Washington-based group that describes itself as a "Catholic social justice lobby."

In 2010, the organization played an important role in promoting President Obama's health care act at a time when the Roman Catholic Church opposed the legislation. The church alleged that the Affordable Care Act used federal funds to cover abortion (Democrats deny that claim).

Campbell organized a letter of support for the Affordable Care Act that was signed by dozens of leaders from women's religious orders, giving the White House and Democrats political cover in the face of attacks from conservative religious groups.

At a celebration after the signing ceremony for the law, Obama thanked Campbell for her help: "He gave me a big kiss and said I was a tipping point."

Campbell, who joined a religious order after her freshman year at college, says her support for Obamacare grew out of a lifelong concern for the poor.

"I remember as a kid, driving back from visiting relatives in Colorado and going through Indian reservations," she said. "I would cry because it was so hard to see such poor people. Something touched me."

She got her J.D. with an eye toward advocating for pro-poor public policy but wound up hanging a shingle in Oakland, California, helping the working poor on family law cases.

"For me, it was about being the gospel and living like Jesus did," she said. "Following folks who were suffering and at the margins, struggling hard to make ends meet. I was like a parish for the unchurched."

Campbell later traveled the world as the general director of her religious order, the Sisters of Social Service, founded in the 1920s by Hungary's first female member of parliament.

At Network, Campbell's proudest accomplishment is helping pass Obamacare. But she also boasts of becoming an early thorn in the side of Paul Ryan, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney's running mate, by organizing the "nuns on the bus tour" in May.

The nine-state trip from Iowa to Washington was aimed at attacking the federal budget Ryan drew up as the chairman of the House Budget Committee.

The Ryan plan, in Campbell's view, "set up this total undermining of government services as a way for there to be additional tax cuts for the wealthy."

America's Catholic bishops also criticized Ryan's budget. But weeks before the nuns on the bus tour, the Vatican issued a bruising assessment of many American nuns, saying they offered a platform for "radical feminism" and played down church teachings on abortion and gay marriage.

To some church watchers, the nuns on the bus tour represented a thumb in the eye of the assessment from Rome.

But Campbell, who is not formally a part of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious, the group singled out by the Vatican assessment, has not been shy about saying that the church hierarchy is out of touch with the church's religious life.

"The shock made me numb at first, and then I was profoundly sad that my life as a woman religious and my commitment to serving the poor would be so denigrated by the leadership of our church,"

Campbell said this year, responding to Vatican criticism of American nuns.

Campbell didn't mention the nuns' tiff with Rome in her Wednesday night speech, but her mere presence raised the profile of women religious leaders at a time when the Democrats say women are under attack.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Catholic Church • Politics

1. ScottCA

September 6, 2012 at 1:53 am |
    • finman1960

Religion has no place in politics. Scribes and Pharisees as Jesus put it. The Catholic Church supported Hitler back in the day. You never saw Jesus support politicians. He just said give Caesar what is his (or pay your taxes).

September 6, 2012 at 2:15 am |
  2. Sister Mary Margaret

She's in rebellion against the truth and is, therefore, a false prophet. There is a scripture that says that even Satan appears as an angel of light, because he is so very deceitful. This lady would not be helping a party that comitts murder of unborn children on a scale not seen since Nazis Germany if she were a true follower of Christ. She is, therefore, wicked.

September 6, 2012 at 1:39 am |
    • emintey

You are no nun LOL No nun would speak the way you do.

September 6, 2012 at 2:02 am |
    • Arguenot

Actually, nun or not, this person is speaking from strict biblical teachings. The bible is not something to be followed only when it is convenient or dovetails with what you want it to. You can not pick and choose what you will follow and obey, then make up the rest based on your whim. This poster is correct per the teachings of the bible.

September 6, 2012 at 2:09 am |
    • emintey

Arguenot, I doubt very seriusly that Sister Simone will be having or counselling anyone to have an abortion, however Sister Simone has a passion for serving the poor which she has dedicated her life to, something that you certainly lack and which is one of the highest callings of the catholic church and certainly the sisterhood. I suspect that you and 'Sister' Mary Margeret have much to learn from her.

September 6, 2012 at 2:13 am |
    • nelsonleonard

If you strictly followed what the Bible says, you would be in trouble with society and with the law. Literally following all the dictates of the Bible would probably lead to insanity. That's why many religions kind of pick and choose those they find most important or relevant to their most favorite beliefs.

September 6, 2012 at 2:19 am |
    • Arguenot

Really? Insanity? Picking and choosing is not really an option, unless you or your faith have decided you know better, or understand better, or need to modernize, moralize, make exceptions (just insert excuse here)

September 6, 2012 at 2:23 am |
    • emintey

Most of us 'pick and choose' to eat shrimp, but then again that part of the bible must be outdated for the bible thumpers, or a part they choose not to pick. Be that as it may, I dont think anyone here can match Siser Simone's devotion to her faith, this thread is about POLITICS. Service to the poor is a moral issue.

September 6, 2012 at 2:28 am |
  3. Arguenot

A college professor gave a class. He started the semester by telling all his students, no matter how hard or little you work, you will get a B in this class. The lazy ones stayed lazy, and the over-achievers turned in a mediocre performances at best. This then is the lesson of Socialism.
    No Carrot as a reward, no punishment for poor behaviour, no striving, no need to excel. Anyone who thinks socialism is wonderful need only look at the situation in Europe. Those that expound a Socialist system are the ones in the worse shape. Those who strive are having to carry those that do not, and watch as this experiment fails, again, before our eyes.

September 6, 2012 at 1:37 am |
    • elaine

Are you saying students only work for grades? Surely some realize learning is the goal. There are also workers who take pride in the jobs they do.

September 6, 2012 at 2:03 am |
    • Arguenot

Really? And how long will those strive, when they find that those that do nothing reap the same rewards. Do you truly believe that the bulk of Americans will be happy to go off to work, and work as hard as they can, when they will realize no benefit what so ever from doing so? Socialism has never worked, ever.

September 6, 2012 at 2:06 am |
    • Arguenot

Logic and human actions dictate the outcome of Socialism, not whatever utopia one may wish for.

September 6, 2012 at 2:20 am |
    • Sabrina Desiree J

He didn't tell the whole story... what ended up happening is that ALL the students ended up giving up and failing the course. This really happened. At any rate, about this 'nun', she has spent her entire adult life (from teenager to 66) living in a SOCIALIST society where everything was provided for her. She is naive, and certainly NOT Mother Angelica. She is a pawn being used by the DNC. No, I am not a catholic, but NEITHER is this nun. She is violating the tenets of her religious order and doesn't know what she's even talking about. Seeing "poor indians" hmmm... she apparently doesn't know that the only way one stays 'poor' in the USofA is if one is either an illegal alien who snuck in here without any kind of education and no way to get one once here because of their illegality, or if one is a welfare bum. ANYONE can mke it here... maybe not to 'millionaire' status right away but ANYONE here can become a miliionaire if they SAVE 10% of their money. ANYONE can live on a janitor's pay IF THEY CHOSE TO AND SAVE MONEY. I've been living on my own since I was not yet a teenager and I am making it very well in this country. I didn't get a degree, I couldn't. I was without a home because my parents were drug addicts. But I could READ and I picked a (legal) profession and READ MY WAY INTO EXPERT LEVEL in that profession, and worked my way up to a more than 100K annual salary by the time I was 22. NOW at 27 I have a degree, but I was smart enough to DO MY RESEARCH and get an MBA from Heriot-Watt in Scotland without the necessity of a bachelor's degree. What did I do before I got a career? I cleaned apartments, milked cows by hand on a farm, picked crops. People who are on welfare for more than 3 months are sc* mbags and illegal aliens take jobs away from AMERICAN CITIZENS because there is NO job an AMERICAN will NOT do, and it's a lie to say that. Any woman with children who cannot make it without a govt. handout needs to lower her living expectations and GET AN APARTMENT WITH ANOTHER SINGLE WOMAN AND PULL HER OWN WEIGHT, NOT LIVE OFF mmmyyyy taxes. OBAMA WILL BE VOTED OUT IN TWO MONTHS AND HE CAN TAKE HIS UGLY FAMILY AND MOVE TO KENYA.

September 6, 2012 at 2:23 am |
    • Arguenot

Well said Sabrina. And yes, that was the end of the story.....kind of like the end of any Socialist regime. Absolute breakdown.

September 6, 2012 at 2:32 am |
    • Arguenot

Umm, Sabrina, just re-read the last line you wrote. Now, you had a great argument, factual, compelling, but then you mention the ugly family. Now, regardless of your personal opinion on their looks, you had it there, then poof. I also happen to share the XX chromosomes and, like you worked all my life, and had to self educate due to a challenging upbringing. I too, am sick of the generational welfare and illegal immigration that is helping to destroy this great country. But, stick to logic, and your arguments can not be beat. You will see those unable to refute you start to mudsling. I will say there has been ridiculous press on her fashion sense. I truly believe if a magazine photo shopped her wardrobe with another person's head, there would be negative reviews, not nearly what is reported now.

September 6, 2012 at 2:45 am |
  4. Mariam

The Nun doesn't turn off non believers and that is a great accomplishment. It says much about her reasoning power. Faith need not be unreasonable.

September 6, 2012 at 1:31 am |
    • Sister Mary Margaret

September 6, 2012 at 1:39 am |
  5. Arguenot

@Smeagel I am interested to know what your interpretation of Socialism is? This was on a prior post of yours, but I wanted to bring this subject to the top and make it easier to find.

September 6, 2012 at 1:19 am |
  6. Bizness

Um...Mittens has tons of money and I think he looks happy...LOL All BS aside...FORWARD 2012 OBAMA..

September 6, 2012 at 1:18 am |
    • Arguenot

All BS aside, we are about to hit the debt cap in December, again. All BS aside, it is both parties faults. All BS aside, the middle class will continue to suffer the most. They keep these political parties hot and angry at each other so the people do not start to really understand, it does not matter who sits in the White House....we are in deep trouble here. Better to argue with each other than look to all the politicians who got us here. ALL of them

September 6, 2012 at 1:31 am |
  7. Carolina

Excellent speech, especially when she ended with "faith, family, and fairness" She was inspirational, showed integrity, charity, and I'm not even a Catholic. Thank you Simone and thank you for all the great work you do on the bus and its great to hear voices like you in this way!!

September 6, 2012 at 12:54 am |
    • Smeagel4T

That is presumably because you share with the sister the same belief in the fundamental values taught by Christ regardless of what name your religion goes by. Even Ganhdi (a Hindu) said he liked the teachings of Christ. I myself am an agnostic, but believe strongly in the social teachings of Jesus. It is not necessary to dismiss the social teaching of Jesus just because a person may be agnostic or an atheist. To dismiss the social teachings of Jesus just because a person is an atheist is rediculous in my view.

September 6, 2012 at 1:08 am |
    • Brian

Who cares? She's a person that not even her group wants. The large majority of the conservative Catholics dislike her and the lapsed catholics already liked her. She's as much a new flavor as vanilla is

September 6, 2012 at 1:13 am |
    • Arguenot

Look, no matter the religion, or belief system, right is right. A general moral code can be agreed upon by most people. No killing, robbing, etc. But people seem to have equated the Welfare system with biblical teachings. Now a helping hand in time of need is one thing, but generational welfare, the very thought of sucking up money and not working is exactly against what the bible says.
      Proverbs 18:9
      One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys.

September 6, 2012 at 1:15 am |
  8. Cindy

Even more inspirational than Michelle's speech! I don't know how any human being could listen to the whole speech and not be touched by this courageous woman's stand for what's right, even in the face of criticism from her superiors in her own church and their dominant party. I LOVE how she calls them out and shows them what "Pro-Life" REALLY means. Raise the cry for social justice!!!

September 6, 2012 at 12:54 am |
  9. Smeagel4T

If the Republicans start trying to claim some kind of violation of separation of religion from politics, they'll establish a new record level of hypocrisy for themselves.

The right wing extremist fundamentalist "Christians" have been shooting their mouthes off unchallenged in the political arena for too long now. It is about time that the progressive followers of Christ's teachings start reasserting Christ's true message.

September 6, 2012 at 12:53 am |
    • Nietodarwin

I like to refer to them as "Talibangelicals"

September 6, 2012 at 12:55 am |
    • Arguenot

This should apply to both parties, and especially PAC's that are nothing but sneaky favor mongers

September 6, 2012 at 1:20 am |
  10. Rogue351

I cannot in good continuous vote for a party that the KKK, Arian Nation and NRA call their own. For this reason alone I will be voting for Obama. Hate, which is backed up every singe day by Limbaugh, Beck and Hannity is not the way forward for this nation regardless of political views. Hate was not in the original plan that founded this nation. Progress, unity, Acceptance not tolerance is what America is about. Acceptance for new and better ways of doing things. Acceptance of new emerging cultures inside our boarders. Acceptance that people love who they love and it is not your right or anyone else right to pass laws or discriminate against that. Acceptance of freedom of religion including those that choose no religion. I choose to vote against hate and choose to vote for Obama.

September 6, 2012 at 12:45 am |
    • Arguenot

I get the KKK reference, but really, the NRA as a Hate Group? I happen to own guns, and enjoy target practice. I can say that I do not hate any particular group. Or is this just one of those broad labels placed because you are personally anti-gun?

September 6, 2012 at 1:24 am |
    • Arguenot

You might also want to delve into history a bit more to truly understand how, and why our Country was formed, instead of soap boxing it.

September 6, 2012 at 1:28 am |
  11. yosemiteSlam

All you republicans slamming this nice nun are demonkind. I am an atheist but i dont ever slam a nun. Nuns are the best kind of humans even better than preists. Nuns share their motherly love with all people of any faith. Stop messing with the nuns you phonie cretons on the right your so called values just got checked into oblivion by a sweet Nun. LEAVE THE NUNS ALONE!

September 6, 2012 at 12:45 am |
    • Nietodarwin

True oh so true. Former catholic atheist here who agrees. She gave a good speech.
      8 million MORE women than men voted in 2008 The GOP is doomed

September 6, 2012 at 12:54 am |
  12. Smeagel4T

If anyone has seen Sister Campbell in interviews, they know that she doesn't wish to be political party partisan. In one interview she even said that she wished Ryan would sit down with her so they could have an honest discussion of each other's views. She invited Ryan to explain to her how he thinks his fiscal policies are actually in keeping with Christ's teachings.

Her only objective is to speak out on the issues that she believes violate the teachings of Christ, and on behalf of those who Christ spoke for. Her speech at the DNC was strictly to point out the Ryan budget was against Christ's principles, but she didn't endorse a candidate. Unlike most speakers, she didn't finish with "vote for Obama". Her speech was limited to pointing out that Obama's fiscal plan is more in keeping with Christ's teachings, and Ryan's fiscal plan is in conflict with Christ's teachings.

So she basically endorsed one budget plan over the other, and not one candidate over the other. The fact that one particular candidate happens to come with one budget plan, and another candidate happens to come with a different budget plan is something she left up to the voters to work out.

September 6, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • Arguenot

If it walks like a duck, has feathers and a beak, a makes a quacking sound, it is a duck. You can try calling it a horse, but nope, still a duck. Separation of church and state. Her behaviour should put the Church's non-profit status at risk. No matter the spin, as a representative of the Church she was out of bounds, and not following the Church's guidelines to begin with.

September 6, 2012 at 12:38 am |
    • Smeagel4T

Wrong, Arguenot. She met the exact same rules that Karl Rove's dark money PACs meet. Karl Rove's dark money PACs slide by simply by attacking Obama on issues and not endorsing any candidate. That is PRECISELY what the Sister did. She never endorsed any candidate. She strictly attacked the Ryan/Romney budget as being unChristian. The CONSERVATIVE Supreme Court would heartily uphold her right to do so.

September 6, 2012 at 12:59 am |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

Being an employee of an organization does not make you a representative that organization.

September 6, 2012 at 1:03 am |
    • Arguenot

A nun, speaking at any convention, for any party. Or any Religious figure, under the guise of any religion, has no place in this arena. No matter how you spin it, her speaking at this convention is easily perceived as an endorsement.

But, If figure no matter what party wins, the middle class loses. Take away the Dem and Reb labels, and in the end, they are all the same, eating steak in the expensive restaurants together after the cameras are off.

September 6, 2012 at 1:10 am |
  13. Thomas

What happened to the separation of religion and politics. She should not have been there.

September 6, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • Smeagel4T

Listen to her speech. She never endorsed any candidate. Churches are permitted to express their opinion on issues but not endorse candidates. It is the same rules that Karl Rove's dark money PACs operate under.

September 6, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • dm nash

So that would disqualify Romney right? Hallelujah!!!! He is a leader in the Morman church....(who knows what he preached? especially during period Mormans were called out -retroactivily when discovered – for Baptizing Jewish Holocaust victims and their ancestry.com project) .....and what about Huckabee speaking at the RNC and previously being in politics (and now just a lowly media figure -his words)....

September 6, 2012 at 1:48 am |
  14. Arguenot

The Catholic Church is one of the, if not The world's largest non-profit groups. One condition of that 501 3 c status is separation from politics. How does this not violate that very rule? Her opinions are valid, but as a representative of the Catholic church, I would think this, and other like actions, put their non-profit status at risk.
    It is amazing the number of people who join a religion, and then decide they do not like the rules. You do not feel this 2,000 year old organization is modern enough? Maybe the bible is not written as you would prefer? Seriously, join another religion that suits you rather than act as a Judas and assisting in undermining the Church under the guise of "freedom of speech" or some perceived higher moral ground.

September 6, 2012 at 12:15 am |
    • Smeagel4T

It's because she didn't endorse a candidate. Churches, like SuperPACs, are free to make issues statements but not endorse candidates. If you listen to her speech, you'll note that she never endorses a candidate. She limits her comments to the budget plans and does not say who to vote for. Just like Karl Rove's dark money PACs never actually endorse Romney.

It's not really debatable about whether she's speaking as a private citizen. She's using her position as a Catholic nun to help promote her message, so she's not speaking as a private citizen. So long as she doesn't endorse a candidate and only expresses an opinion on the issues, then she's functioning within the legal guidelines - exactly the same game that Karl Rove's dark money PACs play.

September 6, 2012 at 12:47 am |
  15. kevin

Interesting how CNN failed to mention that the Sister admitted – out of her own mouth – while on The Factor after being asked by Bill O’Riley what her solution to poverty would be: government controlled wages. She's done great work with the poor in the past but now she's just a puppet of the socialists. Go back to helping the poor Sister, they really need it, because supporting a president that has created more welfare recipients in history has created more need.

September 6, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • Smeagel4T

To paraphrase a line from Princess Bride, "You keep using that word socialist. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Sorry, but you Fox-heads have ground your over-use of "socialism" into the sand. Want to call me a socialist, feel free. If you want to call it "socialism" to stand up for a stronger society upon which a strong American future can be built, then I'll proudly wear the badge. America is fastly becoming tired of your anti-social behaviour.

September 6, 2012 at 1:14 am |
    • Arguenot

Smeagel, I am interested in your interpretation of Socialism. What is it? You may need to start a new thread so this stream does not go to another page

September 6, 2012 at 1:17 am |
    • dm nash

actually, Bush caused there to be more recipients when everything went into freefall

September 6, 2012 at 1:53 am |
    • dm nash

by my recollection, there wasn't a homeless problem until Reagan

September 6, 2012 at 1:55 am |
  16. leonard page

just read joe's comment about govt inefficiency versus the private charity. medicare overhead is 3-5%; insurance is double or triple that for cost of adm. average annual charitable contribution is $350 per person most charities take about 40% of that for fundraising and administration. just shows again that conservatives live in another dimension. fortunately time and common sense are on our side.

September 6, 2012 at 12:09 am |
  17. Kathy

I may not agree with some of the catholic church's teachings, BUT I admire this woman and her organization of compassion – AND I respect them which is a lot more than I can say for the patriarchs of the church.

September 6, 2012 at 12:01 am |
  18. Vincent

It seems crazy that the GOP 'claims' to be in favour of smaller government, and more choice ... but then wants to take away the choice of women?? And even if the GOP is anti-abortion, then why cut funding to the very programs that can help those newborns to survive? Why only care about the unborn? Does the GOP responsibility end after birth??

Im fiscally conservative, and socially liberal, and i think giving people a choice is the right thing to do to further our society AND be more ficscally resposible.

September 5, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
  19. judy

republicans are posting all over tonight. The sisters on the bus ripped them up. Elizabeth warren was on fire and Bill Clinton knocked it out of the park. He was so good debunking ryan and mittens . The repos will be sorry they used him . He showed them for the liers they are. Even the repo commentator said it was much better than the repo convention so far. Thats because it is diverse with real people telling real stories. Forward. 2012

September 5, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • Junebug

Totall agree, Judy. Instead of smugness and self-righteous back-clapping, the Dem convention has been about real people telling real stories without an overload of ugly accusation and blame. I loved Sister Simone's speach; she nailed so many points that are important, how America should be about people taking care of each other, being good to each other because it's the right thing to do... And i loved that she held fast to her pro-life stance; I am an Independent who is pretty much middle of the road, but I've never been a huge champion on abortion because I feel that life begins at conception....because it does. You can paint it any color you like, but that's reality. In a world that's going down the tubes, life should be embraced, not death. A woman should take all the precautions she can to avoid an unwanted pregnancy, because life and the body that was created to carry it should be respected. However, abortion should be a woman's choice. I just don't think she should choose it over and over because she's sloppy with birth control. It's not like you're extracting a tooth. You're extracting the life of a human being. Big difference.

September 6, 2012 at 12:11 am |
    • dm nash

...and birth control should be a choice and available....as a better alternative to abortion

September 6, 2012 at 2:02 am |
  20. chedar888

Great speech sister. You tell the truth. We should have compassion to one another and help each other. Life is not all about money. Money does not buy you everything nor happiness. We can always make money but happiness can not be boiught with money.

September 5, 2012 at 11:33 pm |