home
RSS
September 5th, 2012

Democrats update platform with Jerusalem, God reference

By Jessica Yellin, CNN Chief White House Correspondent

Washington (CNN) – Democrats voted to update their party's platform Wednesday evening at their convention to include a reference to Jerusalem being the capital of Israel, as well as the insertion of the word "God," neither of which was included in their platform this year but was in previous platforms.

The change, proposed by Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland immediately after the convention was gaveled into order on Wednesday, required a two-thirds voice vote, but was declared as adopted after three voice votes which brought delegates to their feet, shouting their yeas and nays. Democratic sources told CNN prior to the vote that it was to take place by acclamation.

"I am here to attest and affirm that our faith and belief in God is central to the American story and informs the values we've expressed in our party's platform,"Strickland, who chaired the party's platform committee, read. "In addition, President Obama recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and our party's platform should as well. "

FULL STORY
- Dan Merica

Filed under: 2012 Election • Israel • Jerusalem • Politics

1. mfsbt

so obvious the DEMS wanted to launch the idea and see the reaction. that is all

September 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  2. Thinker23

My rationale was that those not interested in the subject of the discussion should find something they're interested in instead of staying here suffering from boredom and complaining about it.

September 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

I think niknak is probably very interested in Israel. I presume he/she is tired of hearing about America's devout support of a fairly evil nation, who have evicted most of the non Jewish population and continue to terrorize those still there.

Also, being tired of hearing about something doesn't imply lack of interest. I too am tired of both parties bringing up religion to get the retard vote. It doesn't mean I'm disinterested.

September 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  3. BRC

@Rational Libertarian,
    Thinker has an abiding urge to make sure their screen name remains ironic.

September 6, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  4. niknak

These are the two things I am very tired of hearing about.
    Why is Isreal so damn important? It is the little sh_itty country that has destabailized the world.
    We did not include that Brasilia is the capitol of Brasil, or for that matter any other country, EXCEPT that one.
    They are not on our side. They are only out for themselves.
    When we have any natural disasters like Katrina, Isreal does not lift a finger for us. Never has, and never will.
    Same for god. Tired of hearing about that pos too.

September 6, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • Thinker23

If Israel is not important to you WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

September 6, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

What is your rationale for that response thinker?

September 6, 2012 at 11:30 am |
  5. tuvia

WORLD VS ISRAEL. HILLARY CLINTON-THIS IS A MESSAGE FOR YOU – LET MY PEOPLE GO. FREE JONATHAN POLLARD NOW. LET MY PEOPLE GO BARRAK HUSSEIN OBAMA – NOW!
    The Land of Israel is the Promised Land given to our forefathers Abraham Isaac and Jacob and is given to us, their seed, as an everlasting Inheritance.

September 6, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • tuvia

!!!!

September 6, 2012 at 10:28 am |
    • snowboarder

you post this nonsense over and over. why?

September 6, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • Reality

origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482 NY Times review and important enough to reiterate.

New Torah For Modern Minds

“Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions - the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years - have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity - until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine doc-ument.

The notion that the Bible is not literally true "is more or less settled and understood among most Conservative rabbis," observed David Wolpe, a rabbi at Sinai Temple in Los Angeles and a contributor to "Etz Hayim." But some congregants, he said, "may not like the stark airing of it." Last Passover, in a sermon to 2,200 congregants at his synagogue, Rabbi Wolpe frankly said that "virtually every modern archaeologist" agrees "that the way the Bible describes the Exodus is not the way that it happened, if it happened at all." The rabbi offered what he called a "LITANY OF DISILLUSION”' about the narrative, including contradictions, improbabilities, chronological lapses and the absence of corroborating evidence. In fact, he said, archaeologists digging in the Sinai have "found no trace of the tribes of Israel - not one shard of pottery."

prob•a•bly

Adverb: Almost certainly; as far as one knows or can tell.

September 6, 2012 at 10:59 am |
    • pastmorm

CNN moderator!!!! PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF TUVIA! HE IS THREATENING OUR PRESIDENT AND HILLARY CLINTON! HE IS COMING ACROSS AS A THREAT TO HOMELAND SECURITY. AS PART OF THE PATRIOT ACT IT IS AN AMERICANS DUTY TO REPORT THIS!!!!!

September 6, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • old ben

This is bull sh it. Also this Jonathan Pollard is a highly unstable traitor. Keep him where he is.

September 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
  6. RFBJR

Well, this just proves that the democrats are like most people on this blog, godless and anti-semitic. Is this news? Especially the God part, I mean, liberalism is marxism light.

September 6, 2012 at 10:02 am |
    • hogwash Dao

Yeah Marx got it right. Religin is opium for the mindless. 😉

September 6, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • snowboarder

not falling for the whole jewish promised land thing is not anti-semitic.

September 6, 2012 at 10:57 am |
  7. hogwash Dao

every 4 years they trot out GOD to do their bidding then visit the strips clubs to help out sisters of the poor 😉

September 6, 2012 at 9:24 am |
  8. Bill Deacon

Also added to the democratic platform "Oops!"

September 6, 2012 at 9:16 am |
    • Kell

Bill's platform is missing more than a few bolts but he's a nut, that's for sure.

September 6, 2012 at 11:51 am |
  9. BRC

This was so incredibly dissapointing. I can get over the Jerusalem part, that's expressing a view on foreign policy; but adding the word "God" back in is a step backwards. It's exclusionary and unnecessary, and REALLY poorly executed. The worste part, is that they very publicly showed that many of them realized it was a bad change, and yet they forced it anyway.

In a way, I've never been a fan of the democratic party, so watching them flub massively on national tv is funny to me. But since the "conservative" side of the two parties doesn't just stand for keeping government out of people's lives and allowing people's live, but is deeply and abidingly entwined with the Religious Right; I CAN'T stand by, with, or even anywhere near them (mostly because they no longer operate in reality). SO, Democrats, stop f-cking up. Much as I may not like it, we need you and you were very close to getting it right.

September 6, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  10. Rational Libertarian

The Dems have sold out. Vote w.hores. And Michelle Obama is a fame w.hore.

September 6, 2012 at 8:42 am |
    • sam stone

both sides have their share of vote wh-o-re-s

September 6, 2012 at 8:48 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

I agree 100%.

September 6, 2012 at 8:49 am |
  11. Reality

As with the 2008 presidential election, abortion will be the deciding issue in 2012 and that is why it is front and center on the Democratic Party's platform.

Added details:

Once again, all the conservative votes in the country "ain't" going to help a "pro-life" presidential candidate, i.e Mitt Romney, in 2012 as the "Immoral Majority" rules the country and will be doing so for awhile. The "Immoral Majority" you ask?

The fastest growing USA voting bloc: In 2008, the 70+ million "Roe vs. Wade mothers and fathers" of aborted womb-babies" whose ranks grow by two million per year i.e. 78+ million "IM" voters in 2012.

2008 Presidential popular vote results:

69,456,897 for pro-abortion/choice BO, 59,934,814 for "pro-life" JM.

And the irony:

And all because many women fail to take the Pill once a day or men fail to use a condom even though in most cases these men have them in their pockets. (maybe they should be called the "Stupid Majority"?)

The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the Pill and male condom have led to the large rate of abortions ( one million/yr) and S-TDs (19 million/yr) in the USA. Men and women must either recognize their responsibilities by using the Pill or condoms properly and/or use other safer birth control methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs.

i.e. IF THE PILL AND MALE CONDOMS WERE USED PROPERLY, ABORTION WOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE AND OBAMA WOULD NOT BE PRESIDENT.

September 6, 2012 at 8:33 am |
  12. Irish lad

St. Patrick got it wrong, running all the snakes off of the Emerald Isle. Would have been much more productive if he ran off all the priests and ministers and burned all the churches.
    Intresting that the Democrats did not have the cojones to put the resloution to a proper vote, just another example of the religious ramming their agenda down the throats of those that do not agree wit them.

September 6, 2012 at 7:34 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

There's nothing wrong with having priests, ministers and churches. It's when these things are inst.itutionalized, as was the case in Ireland, that problems arise.

September 6, 2012 at 8:53 am |
  13. doctore0

America falling for the oldest and most silly scam in history.. religion

September 6, 2012 at 6:07 am |
    • saggyroy

Are we falling for it, or is it just being imposed on us against our will?

September 6, 2012 at 6:19 am |
    • doctore0

It's a sheep thing that is imposed on you from birth... being poor is something Gawd loves.. rich people have the hardest time getting to the eternal blizz in hevn.. unlike the poor slaves who will get their reward AFTER DEATH.
      Religion is made for just this...

September 6, 2012 at 6:22 am |
    • Pie in the Sky

You will eat, bye and bye
      In that glorious land above the sky
      Work and pray, live on hay
      You'll get pie in the sky when you die.

September 6, 2012 at 6:30 am |
    • Iwonder

doctore0 must be a Muslim.

September 6, 2012 at 7:38 am |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

"doctore0 must be a Muslim."

What logic are you using....they clearly do not single out one religion, but all religions.

September 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  14. Thinker23

Do you guys have something more substantial to support this assertion?

September 6, 2012 at 5:43 am |
    • saggyroy

The burden of proof is on you to prove he exists.

September 6, 2012 at 6:20 am |
    • saggyroy

We're waiting. 2000 years not long enough?

September 6, 2012 at 6:28 am |
    • Thinker23

saggyroy... When I see a car I take is as a proof that there was someone who built it. When I see a building I take is as a proof that someone built it as well. When I see a book I take it as a proof that someone wrote and published it. Don't you?

Now you may recall that we all see the world we live in...

September 6, 2012 at 6:53 am |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

If you cannot differentiate between the construction of inanimate objects and how animate living organisms procreate and evolve then you are too stupid to shed your religious delusions.

September 6, 2012 at 7:06 am |
    • Robert

Criminals don't want to believe or follow any rules.

September 6, 2012 at 8:15 am |
    • Thinker23

0G... I do not call my opponents stupid (even if they believe that planets and stars are "living organisms that procreate and evolve").

I prefer to let these people arrive to this conclusion on their own. Enjoy!

September 6, 2012 at 8:17 am |
    • Brother Maynard

I'll take a stab at this

Proof god does not exist
      I cannot see him like I can a rainbow
      I cannot smell him like I can a flower
      I cannot touch him like I can a brick
      I cannot hear him like I can a symphony
      I cannot taste him like I can a cheeseburger
      I cannot build a machine to measure any hypothosis of him like I can a windmill
      I cannot deduce a mathimatical equation of him like I can with the pythagorean theorem
      Therefore god is non-existent

September 6, 2012 at 8:31 am |
    • snowboarder

you think that is the only argument opposing religion? you're a dolt.

religion is an imaginary line that divides humanity and it is constantly used to defend trampling the rights of individuals.

September 6, 2012 at 8:36 am |
    • Thinker23

September 6, 2012 at 8:41 am |
    • sam stone

"So far the ONLY argument of those opposing religion is "God does not exist because I say so"."

1, the same could be said of those supporting religion.

2. how do you equate religion with god?

September 6, 2012 at 8:50 am |
    • sam stone

For that matter, Thinker, how do you make the leap form a creator to a "God"?

September 6, 2012 at 8:53 am |
    • sam stone

"form" = "from"

September 6, 2012 at 8:53 am |
    • BU2B

September 6, 2012 at 8:55 am |
    • Bill Deacon

I see him in the twinkle of an old person's eyes
      I smell him in the air after a rainstorm
      I touch him in the face of my loved ones
      I hear him in a child's laugh
      I taste Him at communion
      We built a machine called civilization on his instruction
      I can project his existence on faith

September 6, 2012 at 9:08 am |
    • snowboarder

bill – it often amazes me the things people can convince themselves they see.

September 6, 2012 at 9:11 am |
    • Brother Maynard

Thinker23 sez:
      "Brother Maynard... 100 years ago all your "proofs" were applicable to black holes PROVING (apparently) that black holes did not exist. Today, however, we KNOW that blach holes DO exist. The same is true about the Big Bang, dark mater, dark energy, Higgs boson and millions of other things we did not know abouut in the past or do not know today... According to you very few things EXIST, indeed..."

Ah yes ... but 100 years nobody was making the claim that blackholes DID exist ( like you are with god ). It was only after the observation through telescopes and mathimatical anomolies of orbits of stars that the hypothesis of blackholes came to be.
      Also the other examples you give dark matter dark energy have hypothesis that can be tested. And even if these hypothesis were tested 50 or 60 years later ... they CAN be tested. I have not seen one 'test' for god.
      That being said ... I do get what you are saying, it is a classic philosophical question. Does something exist prior to our attaining knowledge of it. I don't really have an answer to it .. however IF god falls into this category ... man ... ALL man has not attained any knowledge of it.

September 6, 2012 at 9:22 am |
    • Thinker23

Sam Stone:

"1, the same could be said of those supporting religion"... True. Religion is a BELIEF, a FAITH that doies not require PROOFS.

"2. how do you equate religion with god?"... I don't (see above).

"how do you make the leap form a creator to a "God"?... I don't. I was talking about a Creator having the knowledge and technology to create Universes.

BU2B: ""Thinker", using your car logic, your god then requires a creator. Circular logic anyone?"... Not necessarily. The Universe we livein had a beginning commonly referred to as the Big Bang. This leaves us with two possibilities: either the Universe was CREATED by someone knowing how to do it or, alternatively, the Universe came nto existence all by itself from nothing. We can not say that the Creator had a beginning, however.

September 6, 2012 at 9:28 am |
    • Huebert

"When I see a car I take is as a proof that there was someone who built it. When I see a building I take is as a proof that someone built it as well. When I see a book I take it as a proof that someone wrote and published it. Don't you?"

"Now you may recall that we all see the world we live in..."

The first part of your post is a false analogy. We all agree that cars and buildings are designed. We do NOT agree that the universe is designed. The second part of your post is simply begging the question. Yes I see the world. No I don't as.sume that it was designed, just like I don't as.sume that clouds or the sun were designed.

September 6, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • SDY225

Good people are allowed to suffer and evil people are allowed to triumph.

Most likely and most comforting that the guy doesn't exist.

Also possible he's an manipulative overseer that likes to make people squirm, and that he is worthy of neither respect nor praise.

September 6, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

My argument is that you follow a "holy book" considered holy by the authors and follower. Those authors were mere mortals who wrote the book to control people. The book was not written or inspired by god. The people who wrote about jesus never knew him but only wrote about him 40-100 years after his death. Then other people came along later and edited the book to fit their agenda of money, power and control. This cannot be disputed. You blindly follow the words of many men over many years. This is the history of your religion.

September 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • agnostic

When I see a car I wonder who built it? When I see a painting I wonder who painted it? Okay when people claim there is a God with no evidence, (pick your God) in which many people shave swore up and down was real, allah, Yah-weh, Zeus, when one declares a God don't they also wonder who created that? Infinite regression? The religionist have no case and when they realize it they cite faith. If they had actual proof they wouldn't need faith. Thereby they must also believe ghosts, ESP, telekenis, demons, –I mean don't get rational and scientific all of the sudden. Want to see a Christian deny a God. Ask them about Islam. Suddenly they are skeptics!

September 6, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
  15. Religion is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes nothing, but it is a good way to make a childish @ss of yourself talking to imaginary friends.

September 6, 2012 at 4:45 am |
    • truth be told

September 6, 2012 at 4:52 am |
    • Robert

Only criminals hate Jesus.

September 6, 2012 at 8:17 am |
    • snowboarder

robert – hate jesus? why would anyone hate jesus?

if jesus ever actually lived, he was probably an eccentric, a philosopher, or even a genuine good guy who's life was embellished in the writing and retelling.

September 6, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • sam stone

robert: get back on your knees and open your mouth....jeebus is coming again

September 6, 2012 at 8:54 am |
    • truth be trolled

truth be told: "your statement is not unlike you on the internet, reality is prayer changes things and is a million more times effective than the stupid rant you just posted"

I smell a disgruntled ex Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co. writer.

September 6, 2012 at 10:10 am |
  16. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things.

September 6, 2012 at 4:39 am |
    • ScottCA

Hey prayer bot. i keep telling you that you are right prayer turns other wise intelligent adults into imbecilic children talking to their imaginary friends for which they have no evidence of existing. But that is all it does.

September 6, 2012 at 4:42 am |
    • truth be told

@scot
      and you keep getting told you are wrong. Should you ever post anything that is right we will let you know, as it is you are batting zero and should consider another calling. At least we can be thankful your stupidity is on the other side.

September 6, 2012 at 4:47 am |
    • Robert

So many criminals on this site posting that they hate the law.

September 6, 2012 at 8:18 am |
    • snowboarder

when faced with a problem it is far better to have just one man with a strong back and a quick mind than 1000 men on their knees in prayer.

September 6, 2012 at 8:39 am |
    • snowboarder

robert – hate the law?

September 6, 2012 at 8:40 am |
    • hal 9000

I'm sorry "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but you assertions regarding atheism and prayer are unfounded. I see that you repeat these unfounded statements with high frequency. Perhaps the following book might help you overcome this problem:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

September 6, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • snowboarder

like everything else in religion, i suppose if you repeat it enough someone may fall for it.

September 6, 2012 at 10:59 am |
  17. ScottCA

September 6, 2012 at 4:38 am |
    • truth be told

Video of dead wanna be atheist guy whose blasphemous throat rotted out of him at an early age. Does it do all your thinking for you scotty?

September 6, 2012 at 4:49 am |
  18. AvdBerg

For a better understanding of the history of the Middle East and to put things in a spiritual context we invite you to read the articles ‘World History and Developments in the Middle East’ and ‘Clash of Civilizations’ listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

Also, please read the article ‘Barack Obama – President of the United States of America’. It explains why politicians and the media continue to mix religion with the country’s political agenda.

All of the other pages and articles listed on our website explain how and by whom this whole world has been deceived as confirmed in Revelation 12:9.

September 6, 2012 at 3:19 am |
    • ScottCA

The penalty for someone leaving Islam is death. The penalty for blasphemy in Islam is death. And in Islam the penalty for drawing a funny cartoon parody is death. I believe we know more than enough about the Middle east and its religions.

September 6, 2012 at 4:40 am |
    • Robert

This guy watches too much TV or videos.

September 6, 2012 at 8:19 am |
    • snowboarder

berg – you're one of those people who believe in revelation. that says it all.

September 6, 2012 at 8:41 am |
    • mama kindless

Revelation?? Everyone knows someone was high as a kite when they wrote that mess. My goodness

September 6, 2012 at 10:15 am |
  19. ScottCA

September 6, 2012 at 1:52 am |
  20. ScottCA

To argue on the side of religion against the process of rational and logical deduction of the natural world, is to paint yourself asinine, for you doom yourself to be proven wrong. A small thing called reality keeps getting in the way.

September 6, 2012 at 1:51 am |
    • Robert

The only asses on this site are the atheists.

September 6, 2012 at 8:20 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

Are you implying that Jesus rode an atheist into Jerusalem?

September 6, 2012 at 8:43 am |
    • sam stone

robert.....back on your knees, slaveboy

September 6, 2012 at 8:55 am |
    • I AM

LOL. "Proven wrong?" If you were rational you would recognize that you cannot "Prove" it. You can only give the explanation of your position and of why you believe that your evidence supports your conclusion. <-- is there anything illogical in what I have said here? I think NOT. Unless you START with the belief that your suppositions against religious thought are true. And then, you LIMIT your evidence to only those things that support your suppositions. It's so silly to think that debate class tactics are sufficient to address the more important questions of the universe.

September 6, 2012 at 9:30 am |