home
RSS
Conventions leave atheists asking: What political party represents me?
A voice vote to change the DNC party platform turned to chaos Wednesday night.
September 6th, 2012

Conventions leave atheists asking: What political party represents me?

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – This convention season has not been good for atheists.

The word "God" was reinserted in the Democratic platform after it had been removed. A plan to raise atheist billboards in the convention cities was stymied by opponents. And though there were preachers and rabbis and other religious leaders opening and closing each day of each convention, there wasn’t an avowed atheist talking up unbelief on either convention’s speaking list.

The political lockout has left many nonbelievers asking, “What political party represents me?”

“We are deeply saddened by the exclusion of a large number of Americans by both parties,” said Teresa MacBain, a spokeswoman for the group American Atheists, in an interview on Thursday. “It amazes me that in modern-day America, so much prejudice still exists.”

After word spread Wednesday that Democrats left God out of their platform, atheists rejoiced. “Truly amazing news,” wrote Loren Miller on Atheist Nexus, a popular atheist blog. “The Republicans remain in the firm grasp of right-wing Christian religiosity, and I really don't know what it's going to take to free them from it.”

But the convention committee immediately received huge pressure get God back in the platform. Even President Obama, according to CNN reporting, said, “Why on earth would that have been taken out?” when he first heard of the omission.

In an awkward session that required three voice votes on the convention floor, the Democrats opted to add “God” back to the platform.

For atheists, the Democrats were seen to be taking away a hard-fought victory. “We had 24 hours of joy as we felt (that) finally our government values all people,” said MacBain. “But that was short-lived. The vote last night angered many atheists and left them feeling excluded once again.”

Online, atheist websites and Facebook pages went from upbeat to downcast as news spread of the platform revision.

“Obama was the first president to acknowledge non believers,” Mark Musante wrote on the American Atheists’ Facebook page. “I wish he would stick to his guns.”

Musante was referring to Obama’s 2009 inauguration speech, when the president said, “We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus, and nonbelievers.”

Beverly Sitherwood, on the Friendly Atheist blog Facebook page, accused the Democrats of “Pandering for power.”

Some atheist leaders used the platform defeat as a rallying call.

“I guess a tiny step was too much to ask for,” David Silverman, president of the American Atheists, told CNN. “This was a clear message to the 16% of the voting population - we don’t count. Well, guess what, Dems - we do. And we vote.”

Silverman says that 16% of the voting public identify as nonbelievers. According to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, 12% of the electorate in 2008 was made up of people with no religious affiliation, though experts say the number of avowed atheists is much smaller.

While acknowledging atheists, Obama has given platforms to high-profile religious leaders, including Rick Warren, a megachurch pastor who prayed at his inauguration, and Catholic Cardinal Timothy Dolan, who is giving the final prayer of the convention on Thursday night.

American Atheists’ plans to raise billboards ridiculing the presidential candidates’ faith ended in failure. After the group put up billboards in Charlotte, North Carolina, the site of the Democratic National Convention, last month, it quickly removed them due to “physical threats to not only our staff, but the billboard company as well.”

American Atheists had also planned on a billboard in Tampa, Florida, to coincide with the Republican National Convention there. But American Atheists said that all the billboard companies in Tampa rejected a sign taking aim at GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s Mormon faith.

Perhaps because of the Republican Party’s ties to conservative Christianity, atheists tend to be Democrats. According to a 2012 Pew study, 71% of Americans who identified as atheist were Democrats.

“The Republicans who spoke at the RNC seemed more like televangelists than politicians,” MacBain said. “The message was clear from the RNC: Get God, or get out.”

The Republican’s 2012 platform mentions God 12 times, many of which describe the “God-given” rights that the Republican Party says are inherent to the American idea.

Though most atheist groups claim that there are closeted atheists serving as representatives and senators, only one has come out as such.

In September 2007, Rep. Pete Stark, Democrat of California, affirmed his atheism in a speech at the Humanist Chaplaincy at Harvard University.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: 2012 Election • Atheism • God • Politics

soundoff (3,922 Responses)
  1. Rufus T. Firefly

While I'm not a fan of religious language in the party platform, I don't feel all that put out by it. I don't vote based on whether or not a candidate shares my religious views (and I wish fewer people did). I'm not among the people who need politicians to convince them that they grew up dirt poor (why is that considered a virtue, anyway?) and they love Jesus with all their hearts and ask him to help them make decisions (that scares me, actually).

I vote for people that promote reliable policy, which means policy based on informed thinking and empirical observations. I can't vote for a party that denies basic science (in everything from evolution to climate change to ovulation and pregnancy), or that denies basic math (you can cut taxes and increase spending without increasing the deficit), or that, frankly, are a profound embarrassment to our country on the world stage (the party of the Bush administration). Regardless of the word "god" I still feel my priorities are pretty well represented by the Democrats, especially relative to the alternative.

September 6, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • indyreader

Well said, RTF!

September 6, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • Shamoononon

Please show me where the Republican party says they went to increase spending and cut taxes? It seems to me the Democrats want to increase social spending and tax the rich, which doesn't exactly add up to decreasing the deficit. Furthermore, creating low paying jobs and deflating the system that provides higher wage white collar jobs does nothing for the middle class unless your idea of the middle class are folks barely above the poverty line.

September 6, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • Shamoononon

That said, I wish we could find someplace in the middle.

September 6, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

We need people who are electable in addition to being sound in their thinking on issues we find important. For the next few decades that will probably mean someone who claims, plausibly, to be of one of the faiths that most people are comfortable with. I look for signs of pragmatism under the mandatory religious statements. Some indication that reason actually trumps whatever religion the person professes.

September 6, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • Gadflie

Shamoononon, judging by history since 1980, that's the republican M.O.

September 6, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Shamoononon, that is exactly what the Bush administration did. Remember this recession thingy? Is your memory that short?

September 6, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
  2. caesarbc

Atheism falls apart like feminism does... it is one-sided and intolerant.
    Whatever happened to ending intolerance in any form?

September 6, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • Dennis

September 6, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • caesarbc

Why the hate? Those groupd you mentioned need to learn to be less intolerant, as well.

September 6, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • old ben

Dennis: "Yeah, why can't Atheists get along Like Muslims and Jews, Like Catholics and Evangelicals"

News flash Dennis – these people do NOT get along.

September 6, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • Atheists get in and be heard!

I don't understand the need to reward people for holding back the human race.

September 6, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
    • Gadflie

Falls apart how exactly. Be specific please.

September 6, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • caesarbc

Feiminism grouped nothing but women together to castigate men for dominating the discourse in the social sciences.

Do you see it yet....? Women grouped together... (same thing)..
      nevermind. If you don't see it, then you are blind and never will.

September 6, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • Gadflie

So, you think that "group together" equates to "falls apart". Interesting "logic".

September 6, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  3. Dennis

Wake me after one religion wins their holy war against the other.

I just need to know which day to go to temple or church. What I can eat. How many gods to worship and which underwear or uniform I need to wear.

September 6, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
  4. Lynn

The fool has said in his heart there is no God.......... Psalm 14:1......................

September 6, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • Dennis

Psalm 137.9: “Blessed shall he be who takes your little ones and dashes them against the rock!”

September 6, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Lynn

Oh yes a very old copy of a copy of a translation of a copy is such a reliable source.

September 6, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • Sapient

Psalm 137:9 Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks!

September 6, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

The fool hath said in his heart that if the bible says something then it must be true............Rufus 9/6............

September 6, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • old ben

I am an atheist. But I have to admit – I like Psalms. The price of toilet paper is through the roof these days, and I just happen to have a bunch of old bibles. The book of Psalms is the most like Charmin IMHO.

September 6, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
  5. skb8721

The media, always going on these days about "atheists"! What about us poor agnostics? No one pays any attention to us! And if they do, they lump us in with the atheists, which makes about as much sense as lumping us in with the theists.

But as Monty Python says, "There's nothing an agnostic can't do if he really doesn't know whether he believes in anything or not."

September 6, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Agnosticism says nothing about a persons beliefs. Agnosticism deals with knowledge or claims of knowledge. Atheist and agnostic are not mutually exclusive.

September 6, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • Blame the deserving

If you ask the atheist crowd, you..we are just "weak atheists". As if Independents are all "weak Democrats".
      I hate language manipulation.

September 6, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • buckcameron

Thanks for being a step ahead of me. But, as an agnostic, I don't really care if I'm acknowledged or not, what I do care about are my moral and social values which are, respect yourself, respect others, respect the truth. If I ever found a religion that really practiced those values I might play along just to enjoy the company.

September 6, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • Blame the deserving

Hawaii, atheism is the belief that there is no god. I know there has been an attempt to redefine atheism as a lack of belief in god, but it is simple language manipulation. An attempt to grab the middle into their club.

September 6, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
    • mama kindless

I am an agnostic atheist. Agnostic on the deity part. Atheist on the religion part. Pure and simple.

September 6, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Blame the deserving

Wrong. The suffix a- means "without" and theism is the belief in god/gods.
      Being without a belief in something does not mean you think the thing is false or non-existent.

September 6, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
    • Blame the deserving

Sorry, Hawaii I was going by dictionary definitions of the word. Your definition creates a word without meaning. I suppose we could refer to dogmatic atheists and thinking atheists.

September 6, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • Blame the deserving

a·the·ism   [ey-thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA
      noun
      the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
      disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

These are two very different meanings. The primary is the generally accepted meaning. The secondary is the redefinition as atheists would have it to be understood.

September 6, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

The meaning of a word differs from dictionary to dictionary.

For instance, if you were to take the Collins English Dictionary – Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition 2009 ©

atheist (ˈeɪθɪˌɪst)

— n
      1. a person who does not believe in God or gods

— adj
      2. of or relating to atheists or atheism

That's why I took the meaning from actually looking at the meaning of the suffix and the base word.

September 6, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Blame the deserving

Hawaii, Collins?? Really? Which hit was that on Google. I found the same definition on the first two when I looked. Collins wasn't even the first page... Cherry pick much?

September 6, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Blame the deserving

Talk about missing the point entirely. Didn't I say specifically that definitions can change from dictionary to dictionary? By the way if you type atheist definition it's the first link, and gives two different definitions, origins, and synonyms.

September 6, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • I wonder

skb8721,

You say that you are agnostic (me too), but how exactly do you conduct your daily life?

Do you believe in and worship a god or gods one day/week/year and not the next? If you live your life without a belief in a god or gods you live it atheistically. You would be called an agnostic atheist.

Do you go to church and go through the motions of a religion for some reason, but are not really sure about it? In that case, you would be an agnostic theist.

September 6, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Ivan Sanchez

The reason DNC didn't invite atheists to the platform is because they have nothing to offer for America but division and hate for this nation just like ACLU!

September 6, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
    • Gadflie

Yep, the ACLU. Those civil rights things are just so darned inconvenient.

September 6, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • indyreader

Yet, YOU are the one trying to convince others that atheists are the out-group.
      I'm as atheist as the day is long and twice as wide, and I am exactly as much an American citizen as you are.

September 6, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Allison

Whether you are religious or an Athiest, you have to admit this is a complete violation of separation of church and state. Isn't that a huge reason why others immigrated to this country? To practice what they believe? However dumb each side sounds to each other, it should not be put into politics. It is a direct violation of a founding philosophy. All the patriots who associate their specific religion to American philosophy are hypocrites to it's own principles.

September 6, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • Ivan Sanchez

This nation was built on God's principles otherwise America would be in the middle of the ocean in a canoe without a paddles just like they are!

September 6, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Though I'm sympathetic to your perspective, I think it actually is not a violation of church and state, because a political party is not a branch of the government and is supported by private donations.

September 6, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • Shamoononon

What you and these athiest groups seem to forget is that even though it's okay to be athiest, it's also okay to be Christian or Muslim or Jewish. The Democratic party shouldn't take one side over the other. Removing the word 'God' from a speach only panders to the athiests, using the word 'God' in a speach panders to the speakers belief system and it is fully within their right to use it. This is a country with a freedom of religion be it Christian or Athiest or whatever else, not a country that is against religion.

September 6, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Ivan, do you realize that your tangled comment actually disproves itself?

This must be a Christian country, because if it wasn't we would be in the middle of the ocean .... and we ARE in the middle of the ocean (therefore....wait for it.......this must not be a Christian country). Well done.

September 6, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • Shamoononon

Actually, we are not in the middle of the ocean, we are between two seperate oceans.

September 6, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

You are correct, I was only paraphrasing Ivan.

September 6, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Gadflie

Out of all the scientific advances in history, not a single one of them has come from a person who accepted "God did it" as a sufficient answer to whichever problem they solved.
    Now, before you religious types say "there are lots of believers who came up with scientific advancements", try reading that first statement for comprehension. Get some help with the big words if you need.

September 6, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

True indeed.

September 6, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
  9. ug

LOL!

September 6, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
  10. Peik

The only time Democrats mention the words "Jesus Christ" is when the Vice President falls down a staricase.

September 6, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • truth be trolled

I smell a disgruntled ex Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co. writer!

September 6, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
  11. Atheists get in and be heard!

Enough ingnorance.
    Enough foolishness.
    Enough lies.
    Enough selfishness.
    Enough wars.
    Enough child abuse.
    Enough religion.

September 6, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • 5875hrs

There will always be everything you have had enough of. Espch. that war thang. I hope one comes to a street near you one day. OH, you forgot about 9-11.

September 6, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • mama kindless

You can say that again. My goodness. Time for a change in this country. And I don't mean the president – I mean in putting these mentally disabled religious nutballs in their place in the name of progress and decency!

September 6, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

5875hrs – "I hope one [war] comes to a street near you one day." This is how christards act when someone makes them feel uncomfortable and they need to go p00py. Tards of the highest order.

September 6, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • truth seeker

I agree! Enough is enough.

September 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
  12. I don't know who he is...but I do know this!

American Atheism is the single most important movement in the world today. The battle lines are drawn.

The enlightened vs. the blind.
    The educated vs. the ignorant.
    The violent vs. the peacemful.
    The war mongers vs. common sense.
    The creationists vs. the realists.

Fight them brothers and sisters. Fight them and win.

September 6, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

The enlightened vs. the blind.
      The educated vs. the ignorant.
      The violent vs. the peacemful.
      The war mongers vs. common sense.
      *The realists vs.The creationists.

Fight them brothers and sisters. Fight them and win.
      their symmetry fixed

September 6, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • homeschool23

Wow, all that hate from such an small minority. You sound like the Radical Taliban. If you truly didn't believe you wouldn't waste so much energy on what you call a "myth". I mean really, are you fighting Santa Claus with this amount of fervor? The Tooth Fairy and Polytheism? How about Buddism? Do you flip out over Hindus? No, you just hate Christians who worship the One True God. Your rebellion against what your spirit knows is true is obvious because if you didn't hate the God you know will judge you whether you believe or not, you would not waste so much energy. News Flash: What you believe doesn't matter, because you cannot change what is true. Just like saying air doesn't exist because you can't see it.

September 6, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • mymissbear

Don't worry atheists, feeling left out, God will be sure to include you in the lake of fire and eternal suffering. The Holy Bible, Book of Revelation

September 6, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

dude its in my name,.. i am the rebel,.. god is a evil tyrant, i fight him,... i don't actually hate him i pity him,.. the poor little deity cant get passed hes abandonment issues from his mother so he takes it out on all of her children enslaving us angels now he goes after the humans he wont stop until everything in the universe flatters him he is an imperial tyrant. and i'm the rebel fighting for freedom,... I'm like a super hero call me the light bringer

שמיחזה עִירִין

September 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  13. Atheists get out

damned atheists are not american get the hell out of my country!

September 6, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • Evangelical

Well, you are right about one thing. They are damned.

September 6, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
    • old ben

Talking to yourself Evan? Guess your god left you alone too long . . .

September 6, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • Dan

Nothing screams patriotism like spelling American all in lower case.

September 6, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • Chris

"damned atheists are not american get the hell out of my country!"

What a patriot! First Amendment rights be DAMNED! You are all for free speech (provided of course it is speech you approve of)...oh how you do rock so.

From the article: "The political lockout has left many nonbelievers asking, 'What political party represents me?'"

Greens. Stein/Honkala 2012.

September 6, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • Allison

Even though this country is supposed to be based on a separation of church and state policy? Good to know you are aware of the roots of your own country.

September 6, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
    • buckcameron

And exactly which "religion" are you representing?

September 6, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • buckcameron

Liza, why bother praying for any of us? Your just talking to yourself.

September 6, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
  14. tuvia

September 6, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
    • old ben

I think tuvia needs some activia – the sh it pushed his brains right out his ears.

September 6, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
  15. Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer takes people away from actually working on real solutions to their problems.
    Prayer has been shown to have no discernible effect towards what was prayed for.
    Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just go to http://santorum.com to find out more.
    Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
    Prayer makes you fat, pale, weak, and sedentary.
    Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
    Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
    Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
    Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
    Prayer makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
    Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
    Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
    Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
    Prayer dulls your senses.
    Prayer makes you hoard cats.
    Prayer makes you smell like shitty kitty litter and leads you on to harder drugs.
    Prayer wastes time.

September 6, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • Ken

Good post. Love the Santorum references and the cat hoarding bit.

September 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • truth be told

What one "atheist" lies to another will swear to. Absolutely useless to America and to themselves, atheist loser spelled with an a.

September 6, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • truth be trolled

truth be told: "What one "atheist" lies to another will swear to. "

I smell a disgruntled ex Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co. writer.

September 6, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • Liza

I'll be praying for you 🙂

September 6, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
  16. truth be told

America is one nation under God. Which party represents atheists? None, thank God !

September 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm |

Indivisible is in there too, I think. Would you like to split us apart over God?

September 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • truth be told

Bottom line atheist who needs em !

September 6, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
      Prayer makes you fat, pale, weak, and sedentary.
      Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
      Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
      Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
      Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
      Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
      Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
      Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
      Prayer makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
      Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
      Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
      Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
      Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
      Prayer makes you hoard cats.
      Prayer wastes time.

September 6, 2012 at 8:05 pm |

You need them, you poor fuck. Or do you ask for a delusional nut job when you need a doctor?

September 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • truth be told

Nope. No one has any use for stupid but another stupid, look at the idiot posting under prayer...etc, glad its on the other side. Atheists are a useless drag on society and hinder America from being what it really could be.

September 6, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

truth be told

I'm intrigued. What could America be (but for all the atheists in it)?

September 6, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • WASP

@ass hole be told (aka truth unknown):
      Bottom line atheist who needs em !"

you can go f_____ yourself. i served 8 years in the UNITED STATES ARMY, proudly. i was almost killed in iraq quite a few times especially once when i was on guard duty and they started mortaring my tower. not once through any of those attacks did i pray to some imaginary f____ing guy in the sky!
      GOD WHO NEEDS HIM, I DON'T!
      what has he ever done for you? NOTHING! BECAUSE IT ISN'T REAL.
      i would love to have you and your blumming president in front of me right now i would take your head and shove it up his ass for being such a fracking ass.

September 6, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • truth be told

A great nation again.

September 6, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • truth be told

@ wasp
      You wasted the public funds for that time and abused the trust you were given if you as a liar can be believed at all.

September 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@truth be told

You are probably one of the most unpatriotic, divisive trolls on this site. I feel incredibly bad for any halfway decent human being within a 10 mile radius of you.

September 6, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

TBT. truth appears to be mything so far

September 6, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • truth be told

I will continue to stand by the commander in chief proven war hero George H W Bush and you anti American liars can form yourselves a circle jerk with you hawaii as the pivot man.

September 6, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • truth be told

@ evolved dna
      line forms behind you.

September 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • WASP

@ass be told: war hero bush jr? seriously that chicken sh it mo th er fu ck er begged his father, then governor bush sr to place him in the NATIONAL GUARD so he didnt have to go to vietnam!

believe what you like you little sh it, i served my time in iraq. i fought for my country and i watched friends of mine become injuried.......thankfully none died. what the fu ck were you doing? where is your patriotic spirit to defend lady liberty? did you volenteer to go to war? IF NOT SHUT THE FU CK UP AND SIT BACK DOWN!.
      EIGHT FRACKING YEARS I HAD TO LISTEN TO YOU WHINNY LITTLE SH ITS BACK HOME CRYING ABOUT THIS CRYING ABOUT THAT, WHILE ME AND MY MEN WERE FIGHTING AND LIVING ON NEXT TO NOTHING BUT THE HOPE TO COME HOME ALIVE!.

YOU WANT TO CHALLENGE ME ABOUT MY SERVICE WHILE HIDING BEHIND A COMPUTER SCREEN, THEN COME GET SOME.
      I LIVE IN BROOKLYN NYC, I WORK ON MYRTLE AVE IN DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY 6 AM TO 3 PM, YOU WANT TO SEE ME

COME GET SOME, I WILL GLADLY SHOW YOU WHAT THE ARMY TAUGHT ME. P U S S Y!

September 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • truth be told

The only word appropriate to a lying atheist is bull sh it. I doubt you have ever done anything but be a drag on the nation you reside in and abuse. And you've got the wrong Bush.

September 6, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • WASP

@TROLL BE TOLD:
      my offer still stands, you want to see what the army taught me TAUGHT ME FIRST HAND then come find me in brooklyn.

you want the unit i went to war with? i deployed out of fort lewis washington. it's across from mccord airforce base, good food there. 🙂
      my unit was ALPHA company 1st brigade 125 infantry division.
      my MOS was 13 bravo 20. for your non-military ass that means i was a sergent in a field artillery battery.
      we were stationed in both alshara and mosul from 2004-2005 september.

those are my creditials let's see yours, wussy.

I AM AN ATHEIST AND I SERVED MY COUNTRY PROUDLY!
      F U CK YOU AND YOUR BUSH.

September 6, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • truth be told

Unproven bull sh it. What one atheist lies to others swear to. Atheists are a useless drag on America . PERIOD !

September 6, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • truth be trolled

Uh oh – I smell a disgruntled ex Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co. writer. Gillllly??

September 6, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • Eric

Atheists are the biggest losers on Earth. They're so arrogant they don't even realize how stupid they are.

September 6, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
    • Dan

Actually, there is the National Atheist Party.

September 6, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • skb8721

Why are any of you even arguing with this smug zealot. Just ignore him.

September 6, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • buckcameron

Yeah, they stuck that"under god" stuff in during the MacArthy neo-nazi era.

September 6, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
    • John

@Truth. So, let me get this straight...You believe in 2,000 year old campfire stories told by uneducated Middle Eastern sheep herders, as opposed to lifelong research by extremely intelligent doctors and scientists?

September 6, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • old ben

truth be told wrote: "President George H W Bush has said an atheist is not a patriot and should not be a citizen of the USA. We are one nation under God.
      Bottom line atheist who needs em !"

and some other garbage, but I think you are right in a way – you are under the thumb of the god in your mind (and you are paralyzed by it)
      and me? I am free.

September 6, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

September 6, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
      Prayer makes you fat, pale, weak, and sedentary.
      Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
      Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
      Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
      Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
      Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
      Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
      Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
      Prayer makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
      Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
      Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
      Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
      Prayer dulls your senses.
      Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
      Prayer makes you hoard cats.
      Prayer wastes time.

September 6, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • hal 9000

I'm sorry "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but you assertions regarding atheism and prayer are unfounded. I see that you repeat these unfounded statements with high frequency. Perhaps the following book might help you overcome this problem:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

September 6, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • attnmustbepaid

Wait a second, i am an atheist, and i horde cats.

September 6, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
  18. Xtianity = Philosophy with Down Syndrome

It is!!

September 6, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
  19. Lisa

To me, it's not about what they write on some propaganda platform, what they do when they vote on a bill. Democrats are much less likely to trample on atheist rights than the republicans. To the republicans, atheist rights are a non-issue. I agree with real buckyball, this won't be an issue in 20 years.

September 6, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

After January there won't be an atheist left in America. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • old ben

Ronald Regonzo wrote:
      "After January there won't be an atheist left in America. Romney / Ryan 2012"

I won't try to predict the election, but I can tell you for sure that this election season and recent events (such as Bill Nye, etc.) have enlightened scores of new powerful minds to join ranks with the atheists in the U.S. And I'm sure many of them will enjoy debating with you here in the new year!

September 6, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
  20. realbuckyball

Even 20 years ago, voting on the removal of the word "god" would have been unthinkable. Much progress has been made. 20 years from now it will be gone. T't know what to do. The "vote" was clearly unclear. The moderators at the convention were surprised and didn't know what to do. I think it was clearly a promising moment.

Even more promising was Sister Simone, saying we are responsible for each other. She did invoke "faith", but did not say Jesus, or god.

September 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • Ken

The times they are a changin, and enough people have seen through the Christian myths that Christianity will steadily decay into nothing. Just a matter of time now.

September 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm |