home
RSS
Dems: God never left our party
Democrats pray at a morning gathering at the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC.
September 6th, 2012

Dems: God never left our party

By Steve Kastenbaum, CNN

Charlotte, North Carolina (CNN)–Heads are bowed in prayer inside room 211 at the Charlotte Convention Center.

Last night, Democrats put the word 'god' back into their party platform following some strong criticism. For the folks at this daily prayer session though, god and the party never parted ways.

Delegates here are fine tuning the message that you can have deep religious convictions and still vote for a Democrat. It's a puzzle the party has been trying to crack for years.

“The notion that one party holds a cornerstone on Christianity, that’s breaking and that’s what one of our goals is – to break that stereotype because the reason that we’re Democrats is because we are Christians,” says Christina Forrester, founder and president of the group Christian Democrats of America.

“I really believe that people are excited because we’re talking about the ideas that really resonate with people across the spectrum in terms of faith," Harkins said.

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/58804188" params="show_artwork=false&auto_play=false&color=ff2b44&liking=false&show_comments=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

Read the full story on CNN's Soundwaves.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Christianity • Politics

1. Lost

You don't need to pretend to brag about love of God or living with faith, especially when you are building a foundation that upholds the best virtues granted to us by God, through actions and works, and compassion. The Obama administration has been doing just that...building a stable foundation that will continue to extend fellowship to all human beings. He has not once used God or faith to attack and soil the virtue and beliefs of others...as many of his opponents have done. God bless him, and now let us move forward...never go back!!!

September 6, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  2. therealpeace2all

FROM THE ARTICLE:

" It’s up to Reverend Derrick Harkins to make sure that people of faith see their values reflected in the party’s platform. He’s the National Director of Faith Outreach for the DNC.

“I really believe that people are excited because we’re talking about the ideas that really resonate with people ***across the spectrum*** in terms of faith," Harkins said. "

__________________________________________________________________

Sure, the RNC and the Republican party, as a whole, believe that they are the 'true' people of faith and have a cornerstone on Christianity. The RNC is not necessarily open to people of of other religions.

However, the DNC and the Democratic Party, at least in concept, is supposed to be more open to people of *all faiths* ("across the spectrum" as Rev. Harkins says above) or ... *no faith.*

That's one of the things I prefer about some of the more 'inclusive' aspects of the Democratic Party.

Peace...

September 6, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
  3. Reality

The Christian god left the Democratic Party when Clinton was elected. Obama's election did not persuade him to come back. Why is that?

Obama "mouths" that he is Christian i.e. believes in gay Gabriel and war-mongering Michael the Archangel and Satan. BO's support of abortion/choice however vitiates has Christianity as he is the leader of the Immoral Majority who are now the largest voting bloc in the country. Immoral Majority you ask??

The 78 million voting "mothers and fathers" of aborted womb babies !!! (2012 -1973 Rowe vs. Wade = 39.
    39 x 2 million = 78 million. Abortion rate in the USA as per the CDC is one million/yr.

And the presidential popular vote in 2008? 69,456,897 for pro-abortion/choice BO, 59,934,814 for "pro-life" JM. The population of the Immoral Majority in 2008? ~ 70 million !!!!!!

September 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  4. umm..

Which god remained back?? Yhwh? Jeebus? Allah? Vishnu? Zeus?

September 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  5. Hindu

How come Dems always rediscover their love for God right around election time ....

September 6, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
  6. Hindu

Actually Dems are right. God never left their party. The Dems left God.

September 6, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
  7. Hindu

"Dems: God never left our party" - He just goes on vacation between elections and then returns just in time for next election cycle ...

September 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
  8. Sam Yaza

do you all want to know what the most funny thing is; Jesus is so their c0nst!t43nt, think about it

hes a; V@gr@nt, Socialist, Wino and a Witch, who hates families

i mean they guy is practically a democrat leader

September 6, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Hindu

Yes - only think you dont like about Jesus is that He talked about God and being Son of God. Other than that minor detail, He is a democrat leader ... NOT!

September 6, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

no i don't like him because he is a Socialist , a wino and he hates families, being a democrat just add to my dislike of the guy

September 6, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

i love witches... I ♥ corked noses

September 6, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
  9. Jake-413451

So long as there are a few Democrats with a predisposition of suffering from delusions and possible hallucinations god will not have left their party.

September 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • Hindu

A few? According to LA mayor - 2/3rd of the delegates is a pretty good number, isnt it?

September 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  10. MennoKnight

I will vote for who I think who has the better policies not the faith they follow.

But I have a question for my Evangelical Christian brothers and sisters. You often say you must vote for the Christian. Then by that standard you should vote for Obama.
    He is the Christian in this election.
    The other guy is a Mormon.

I myself will vote on policies that line up with my faith, not rhetoric about faith.
    And for me those policies will revolve around the following in order of what I think is important:
    social justice,
    taking care of the poor and the oppressed,
    traditional family values,
    rights of the unborn

September 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • Topher

Obama claims to be a Christian but his fruit isn't showing him to be so. His policies aren't Christian. He's the most pro-abortion president in history and that coupled with his recent changes of mind lead me to not vote for him. That being said, I'm not sure I can vote for Romney for similar reasons.

September 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • MennoKnight

Topher,
      I agree with you about Obama and Romney.

September 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • Topher

MennoKnight

"So since we have only two choices which one has a better platform for helping the economy for the average guy and takes better care of the poor and the oppressed?"

I think Romney's better for the economy (his VP choice helps that, too). Obama is better on helping the poor ... on the surface. The problem I have is that I don't think some of this stuff is the government's job. I think it is ours. Christians should be giving someone down on their luck a handout out of their own pockets or through the church. If I want my money to go to, let's say, Habitat for Humanity, then that's where it should go. The government should not have to force me to help people and decide where that money goes.

What do you think?

September 6, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Topher

That's the problem though. You can't just say that if someone needs help, it should be up to the community, not the government, to help them. No incentive means that most impoverished people will stay there and without the government getting their backs, the problems would be compounded.

That;s my issue with most republican policies when it comes down to it. They believe that if you take the government out, people will fill in the holes and help people out of the kindness of their hearts, but we know thats not true. Without regulation, people take advantage of the system, without government welfare, people will just end up starving waiting for the help that will never come.

I won't say that there is no such thing as charity, clearly there is. But a lot of the money goes towards the church itself, the other money goes towards helping and proselytizing to the poor, which is why a fair amount of people don't accept the help.

September 6, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • Topher

Chuckles

September 6, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

"Are you saying the poor will turn down food and clothes because they might have to hear about Jesus?"

Are you saying that they must hear about jesus to receive food and clothing?

September 6, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Topher,

September 6, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • MennoKnight

Topher
      I see your logic in many places. The problem I have with Mitt is he wants to cut taxes even further to the rich, spend even more on the military, and he wants further deregulation of the banking sector that got us into this mess in the first place.
      Obama doesn't seem to fair any better though. He wants to spend huge money on health care (good for the poor) but seems to have no plan on how to pay it.

I personally would like to see a GST set up right across the board like they did in Canada in the late 80's that was put in place to pay off the deficit. Then everyone pays, both rich and poor the same percentage.
      But the governing party that brought in that economic saving tax was so decimated in the polls that it ended up ceasing to exist and the next governing party(s) have lived off the back of that smart/intelligent but very unpopular tax.

I also agree in most part with your assessment about people of faith need to step up and take care of the poor more. Habitat is a great example, Jimmy Carter based it on the Mennonite Disaster Service model. But as a person who has volunteered at both Habitat and MDS it is essential to have governmental help / partnership in this.

September 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • Topher

Chuckles

"I'm not saying they might, I'm saying they have. There was a fantastic dock.mentary done not too long ago (i forget the name, but I'll look it up in a moment) that interviewed some homeless people on the street. A lot of them avoided the heavily christian soup kitchens and shelters, even during the coldest nights of the year, because it was so heavy on the jesus message that they would rather brave the elements than deal with that."

Well, I suppose that's their choice. There's plenty of secular charities.

"To go one step further though, because of the separation of church and state, when the government helps, they can't push a singular religion. Not only are we as a society beholden to each other and should help, but we should do it without pushing our own personal agenda and the only way to do that is through government programs."

Ah, but you see, Christians see an additional problem besides the hunger. You might have a bigger problem in that you have sinned against God. So if we only feed you, but don't help you with a much more dangerous problem, did we really help you at all?
      If I feed you, but never tell you of the salvation available only through Jesus Christ, and you die in your sins and get sent to Hell, won't you be angry at me for not warning you about the wrath you've incurred from God?

September 6, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • Chuckles

@Topher

Yes, there are secular charities out there, but the overwhelming majority, especially in smaller towns, is religious except for government run stuff. We could hope that in li.eu of government welfare both secular and religious charity would take its place, but most likely it would just be religious inst.itutions, and that doesn't help people who avoid places like that.

In your opinion you feel people need just as much spiritual help as physical help, but I can turn this around on you easily. Let's say you're wrong and islam is right, or hinduism, or buddhism or any other religion. You going after these people, potentially converting them is giving them a one way ticket to hell in the "right" religion, wouldn't they be even angrier? Or worse still, atheists are right and there's nothing after and you've convinced someone to stop living their life for them and live it for something that doesn't exist.

I understand the importance it is for you to try and convince everyone you are right, but it's one thing to give a person a bible and ask them to read it, it's another to go full on missionary.

September 6, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • MennoKnight

religion; a way to control the weak minded,
      I have a question for you. Do you serve at the soup kitchen? If so why?

When I serve at the soup kitchen I get asked why I am doing this. I tell them it is because of my faith and relationship with Jesus Christ.
      You might call that proselytizing, I just call that telling them about why I live the way I do. They asked, I told.
      There is a wise man that lived 900 years ago that taught, "In all things preach the good news of Jesus Christ. When necessary use words."
      My actions will show my faith, when asked about my faith I will talk about my faith.

September 6, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

"I have a question for you. Do you serve at the soup kitchen? If so why? "

No I don't, why are you asking? I do give time to other things in my community, however. The reason, because I want to. It has nothing to do with faith or god. If I didnt want to, I wouldn't.

September 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • Chuckles

@MennoKnight

That's not proselytizing, that's answering a question. proselytizing would be if you quoted jesus to every person who came down the soup line, or gave them a bible, or walked around asking people while they're eating food if they heard the good news yet. I have no problem if you answer that you work at a soup kitchen because of jesus, if that's your answer that's fine.

September 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • Hindu

A christian is known by the practice of Christian values ... not the one who supports murder in name of abortion and dilution of marriage and family ... NOT Christian in name only (CINO) ... Christian in practice ....

September 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
  11. uvula

!

****

Media Release : Charlotte, NC USA

Democratic Mormons have Promised Land to Abraham and Issac and Jacob. According to Democratic minority leaders, their seed is an everlasting inheritance.

**#

President Obama is quoted as saying that this addition to the Mormon/Jewish bi-partisan platform is a step towards further world confusion and should lead to nuclear war with any luck.

Rabbi’s around the world are converting to Mormonism in a show of solidarity amongst Israeli Mormons.

September 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  12. tuvia

MEDIA RELEASE: JERUSALEM, ISRAEL

B"H

LET MY PEOPLE GO SENETOR HILLIARY CLINTON
    AND PRESIDENT OBAMA. LET JONATHAN POLLARD GO NOW
    LET JONATHAN POLLARD GO NOW. WHAT WAS IS AND WILL BE
    IN THE FUTURE. LET MY PEOPLE GO. LET JONATHAN POLLARD GO.

September 6, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
    • William Demuth

Pollard needs to be buggered to death in prison.

He is a traitor and sub human

September 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • sam

This guy is actually making me long for the prayer troll.

September 6, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • old ben

I would shave myself from head to toe after looking at this moron, but I already did that yesterday when I started seeing this garbage. But yes, that Pollard would be a danger to anyone if he were to be let go.

September 6, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
    • 1+1=2

@ William. No William, he'd die happy being buggered! Better an AK up there, on full auto.

September 6, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  13. tuvia

B"H

LET MY PEOPLE GO SENETOR HILLIARY CLINTON
    AND PRESIDENT OBAMA. LET JONATHAN POLLARD GO NOW
    LET JONATHAN POLLARD GO NOW. WHAT WAS IS AND WILL BE
    IN THE FUTURE. LET MY PEOPLE GO. LET JONATHAN POLLARD GO.

September 6, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • William Demuth

Death to Pollard.

Feed his corps to the starving Palestinians left orphaned by his brethern

September 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • old ben

Agreed, William. Pollard is nothing but bad news.

September 6, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  14. Colin

I guess every party has its extremists who still believe in Bronze Age supernatural nonsense. Throw the simpletons a line or two to keep them happy, then let the adults get back to making policy.

September 6, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • HeavenSent

@Colin

Statistics prove that the more devout someone is, the higher IQ they have. Read the Bible. It is 100 percent accurate in every facet. My bed pan is full but I figure the couch will soak up most of it. It makes me smile to know that people will be tortured in hell for eternity.

Amen.

September 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Colin

Does the real HeavenSent still even comment on this site? I haven't seen aything from her in ages.

September 6, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • William Demuth

Colin

tuvia is Hevensent

September 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • Fake HeavenSent

She hasn't been here for at least two weeks, except for her prayerbot posts if that is still her doing it.

September 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
  15. WASP

and here i had such high hopes for a religion neutral democrats; guess they had to please the plebs by mentioning their angry sun god. lmfao

September 6, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
  16. uvula

!

Media Release, Charlotte, NC USA

**#

September 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  17. uvula

Media Release, Charlotte, NC USA

~~

September 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  18. Bob

It would have been hard for god to leave since he was never there to begin with, and doesn't even exist.

September 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • William Demuth

Sort of like Truth Justice and the American Way?

September 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  19. uvula !

****

Media Release, Charlotte, NC USA

**#

#stop.!

September 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  20. William Demuth

Please

Of course he has, the just need the idiots for a few more election cycles

September 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm |