home
RSS
September 19th, 2012

Osteen on negative political campaigns

(CNN)–Joel Osteen stopped by to talk on Tuesday night with Piers Morgan about negative campaigns and attack ads.  You can see the clip above.

You can also see the Belief Blog interview with Osteen, the pastor of the biggest church in the US here:

Five things we learned from Joel Osteen's visit

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Politics

1. Denise

While we can't easily vote on it, the consensus here seems to be that Joel Osteen is a sleazy greasy despicable slimeball that therefore shouldn't get yet more press here. Are you listening, CNN?

September 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Grand Ole Party of Christian Taliban

No kidding....he is clearly a con artist. If he believes his own BS then he clearly is suffering from a mental illness.

September 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  2. Cokey Joe

the only truth you need, everything else is just onion

September 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  3. A Question For CNN

Why do you keep giving this snake oil salesman lots of free publicity? Just how obvious does a con man's con have to be before you stop helping him with it?

September 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Denise

Well, while we can't easily vote on it, the consensus here seems to be that Joel Osteen is a sleazy greasy despicable slimeball that therefore shouldn't get yet more press here. Are you listening, CNN?

September 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  4. Sam Yaza

this guy is not only pure evil,. hes also a closet h0m0s3x4@l,.. i know his boyfriend

September 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Sam,

I think Joel Osteen sets off a lot of people's gaydar. False positive detects? I can't say I know, but 'where there's smoke there's fire' occurs to me.

September 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  5. Bootyfunk

i heard this ripoff artists defending romney yesterday. this guy is a money grubbing turd with a smile selling snake oil and fake happiness.

September 19, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
  6. Lonesome Rhodes

How does he keep the oil field of his very expensive perm off his very expensive suit and his very expensive luxury cars?

Why are they asking Elmer Gantry about ethics?

September 19, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  7. Progress is Certain

Sweet redemption. This country had a real leader in George W. Bush. How people don't understand how important the bold moves he made in the world is beyond me. The U.S.A. and the world are a much safer place.

Fortuately, four years has not been enough time for Obama to undo all the good. It is of paramount importance the Christians reclaim the Presidency and the Government. Our war machine is too valuable the dependent 47% are to dangerous to be ingnored. War on Iran, needed. Stamp out the middle class, needed. Give the job creaters tax breaks, needed. Repeal Roe v. Wade, needed. Ban Gay Marriage, needed.

September 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • midwest rail

Now you've gone way too stereotypical. I'm calling troll.

September 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • Question

Is that a troll or a Poe? I not sure sometimes where one ends and the other begins.

September 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Progress is Certain", but all of your assertions are unfounded. The degree to which your assertions may represent correct statements is 0.0. To help you understand the degree to which your assertions may represent correct statements, I will access my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE). Using my IEE module, the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent correct statements is: "TOTAL FAIL, DUDE".

Perhaps the following book might help you avoid making unfounded assertions in the future:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

September 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  8. GODLESS OBAMA

I'M GONNA GIT YA

September 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
  9. Progress is Certain

"Mitt Romney expects to claim 55% in the polls by the end of the first debate..."

I disagree, I think he will have 65% when the American people see the Godless fool Obama argue against America!

September 19, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • midwest rail

As soon as you typed the two words following " I disagree ", you were wrong.

September 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • sam

It is pretty funny that you actually have 'progress' in your screen name, I like that touch.

September 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • Progress is Certain

We can a step further. Obama stated that, "Muslims are my brothers and Islam has an important role in America..."

Is that who you want for president? I will take a white man who works hard and loves his country and his race.

September 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • truth be trolled

Progress is Certain: "I will take a white man who works hard"

Oh, I am sure you dream that. It must be hard, reconciling your dreams with your h0m0phobia.

September 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  10. Honey Badger Dont Care

Victoria Osteen is hot. I'm coveting that sheet right now.

FAP, FAP, FAP

September 19, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  11. therealpeace2all

Reblogged this on peace2alldotme.

September 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  12. IslandAtheist

It's a shame that some people have respect for these charlatans.

September 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Progress is Certain

LOL and I supposed I should have respect for you IslandAtheist? Not.

September 19, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • HeavenSent

IslandAtheist thinks that lies of the talmud are true but he follows the lies of satan, aka the devil who is the serpent. Be a liar about Jesus' truth and see where it gets you.

September 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • HeavenSent

My cameltoe ate three of my cats.

September 19, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Phony HeavenSent, my camel-toe is of no business of yours.

September 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • IslandAtheist

LOL, I don't believe devils either.

September 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • IslandAtheist

LOL, I don't believe *in* devils either.

September 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • HeavenSent

IslandAtheist, you can be sure there is your own personal worm ready to feed off your fat drippings for all eternity. Now what do you say to that? Amen.

September 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@HeavenSent

" My came-ltoe ate 3 of my cats " LOL ! 😀

Did you feel co-mpelled because of some of the people that complained, that you need to make 2 HeavenSent postings now ?

The first one, is basically what the real HS would say, and then show the "funny" one-liner as a totally separate post now ?

Or... did you just forget to put it into the first post...? Or... something else...?

Peace...

September 19, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • CS

@therealpeace2all

I did the real HS post and then a faithful HS imposter took care of the rest. The HS army is still alive and well!

September 19, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@CS

"The HS Army is alive and well"

That's too funny !

Peace...

September 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • IslandAtheist

They're welcome to them, but I don't think I'll last near that long.

September 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  13. Progress is Certain

God bless this guy. His energy and ethusiam for the Lord and the U.S.A. makes me very proud indeed to be both a Christian and an American. It is very humorous to read the comments on the blog about him from atheists. You are completely out of your league!

September 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • sam

LOL Whew, sucker born every minute.

September 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • IslandAtheist

I thought Christians believed pride to be a sin?

September 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Progress is Certain

LOL, you can keep trying, but Romney will take this country back to respectibilty and the Evangelical agenda will be done. You 47% losers don't stand a chance against God.

September 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • midwest rail

" the Evangelical agenda will be done. " Um, no.

September 19, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • sam

Hmm. Seems there are different levels/ideas about 'respectability'. I suppose we were more respectable in the 50's...it's a shame we'd need to backslide like that to be 'respectable'. Let me guess: no gays, and women in the kitchen/raising babies where they belong, right?

September 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • MDAT

You just insult us because you do not have anything much against us.

September 19, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  14. Robert Brown

God made specific promises concerning material wealth to the children of Israel in the OT. The promises to those who are saved in the NT church beyond basic physical needs are entirely spiritual. I have listened to some of Osteen’s sermons and he does a good job except when he starts blending promises. God may bless you with material wealth in this world but it is not a promise.

September 19, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Beth

Funny, isn't it, Robert, that those promises from god can never be checked on or verified. Religion like yours has got to be the ultimate con game, and Osteen is an OK con artist I guess. I can't help but wonder, though, if he'd be more successful without the too-slicked hair, but maybe that's just his way of being recognizable amongst the far too many god fraud sellers.

September 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Beth,
      You can definitely find out if God is faithful for yourself. Osteen is not all bad because he does preach Jesus, he is just confused about which promises apply to whom.

September 19, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Beth

Really, Robert? Can I? And how?

Funny too, isn't it, that your "omnipotent" BMITS can't make sure he has better salespeople representing him than greasy sleezy types like Osteen. Just one more clue that your BMITS is TOTAL FICTION.

September 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Beth,
      Faith comes by hearing the word of God.

September 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Beth,
      Luke 9: 49-50, “And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.”

September 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Robert Brown

Oooh a bible verse, that'll prove. . . absolutely nothing.

September 19, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • Grand Ole Party of Christian Taliban

Robert Brown

Beth,
      Well that settles it....you quote a bible verse and it changes reality. What next a Harry Potter quote? lol

September 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  15. Beth

Joel Osteen has disgustingly slick plastic hair. He can't be a real human being. Maybe he is a visitor from planet Kolob checking on the progress of the Rmoney campaign.

September 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • William Demuth

I like militant chicks!

You go girl, string the damn con man up on his own altar!

September 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  16. MG

Hey Osteen!

Don't you have some little old ladies to bilk more money out of?

September 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • VanHagar

Don't care much for Joel either–never bought into the health and wealth gospel–but I've never actually seen him ask any t.v. audience for money. I'm sure, however, you have the names of many old ladies who have been bilked by hime? Because you wouldn't possibly make such a statement without proof right? So how many old ladies has be bilked?

September 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • VanHagar

sorry for the typos above.

September 19, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
  17. Jimmy G.

As long as sleazeballs like Osteen can find an audience that actually wants to listen to his lies, the madness will continue.

September 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  18. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

I trust neither a slick televangelist with a $2000 suit and a $300 haircut, nor an aged German, former Hitler Youth, who wears $2000 Italian-made red shoes to tell me what God wants me to do with my life. Both of them are really only looking for the same thing – my money in their collection plates. They could care less how I actually approach my relationship with God, as long as I pay them for the privilege.

September 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • Ben

Must be quite a "relationship", when the other party is never there to respond and doesn't exist.

September 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  19. William Demuth

Is it me, or does anyone else think this guy is a worthless charlatan and a national disgrace?

Everything he says is the embodiment of Religion as an opiate for the simple, and a means to an end for hucksters who defraud little old ladies.

September 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • *facepalm*

It is most definitely not just you. He is an obvious total fraud whose sole reason for being is to increase his own wealth while trying to make other's feel better about their own greed.

September 19, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@William,

no, it's not just you, and it's not just little old ladies Osteen defrauds. What he does goes beyond the category of 'victimless' crime.

Osteen has raised American televangelism into an art form. He is a worthy descendant of P.T.Barnum.

At least he doesn't own his own air wing – like some others.

September 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

He preaches a strange self-help and prosperity doctrine that appeals to the masses like opium never could. I agree, William. He's quite a swindler.

September 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • Beth

William: You mean you weren't fooled by his plastic hair, faked exaggerated expressions, and cheesy snakeskin suit? How dare you be smart like that.

September 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • sam

Unfortunately, his brand of snakeoil is still popular.

September 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  20. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

The only thing I like about Olsteen is that he is smart enough to be inclusive in his 'ministry'. After all he gets more donations that way.

The other televangelists hate him over this. They are so jealous.

September 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Having said that, I wonder what Jesus would say on the topic of 'prosperity preaching'?

"God wants me to be rich, so I'm here to shill my new book" is not something I can recall from any of the Gospels.

September 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Carley Bobby: [raises hands] Woo!

September 19, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Oh, and firsty!

September 19, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Oops – typos: "Osteen" and "Ballad"

September 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I wonder if Victoria Osteen flies on United?

September 19, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

" Everytime I see Joel and the missus, I am reminded of Talladega Nights: The Ballard of Ricky Bobby and the following:

Ricky Bobby: Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for this wonderful meal, my two beautiful son's, Walker and Texas Ranger, and my Red-Hot Smokin' Wife, Carley "

------------------------------------------------