home
RSS
September 20th, 2012

1. Tom, Tom, the Other One

Let's get the help of William Lane Craig again.

Homosexuality is due to either physical necessity, chance, or design.

It is not due to physical necessity or chance.

Therefore, it is due to design.

Hmm... Was the designer Satan or Someone Else?

September 20, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • old ben

Well hell, I guess you may as well invite Kirk Cameron, Michele Bachmann, and Anita Bryant to the party as well. I don't want my thunder to go to waste.

September 20, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Sorry, old ben. I was getting a kick out of WLC's stuff.

September 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • old ben

Were you feeling feisty and hoping that the Chad would take up his argument? lol.

September 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Chad is a WLC fanboy. I haven't seen anything from him today.

September 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • ME II

Sometimes I wonder if Chad isn't actually WLC, or Matt Slick, or some other apologist, trolling the Interwebs.

September 20, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  2. Bootyfunk

Osteen is a leech with a smile. he sells snake oil and steals money from the sheep that follow him, like all evangelists.

he tries to squirm away from saying be believes h.omos.exuality is wrong, but when pinned down, he admits he thinks it's a sin. the bible says to KILL g.ays. KILL. that book is disgusting.

September 20, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • Russ

@ Bootyfunk: you're only partway there. the Bible says we all deserve to die. it's why Jesus died on the cross – in our place.
      that's what Joel Osteen seemed afraid to say – b/c he's always trying to "keep it positive."
      he seems unable to realize that, as far as the New Testament is concerned: that IS the Gospel (literally, "GOOD News").

September 20, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • old ben

It is disgusting, Booty. That's why I only use it for TP now. The book of Psalms is the most like Charmin, by the way.

September 20, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
    • randy

show me in the Bible where it says to kill gays, please.

October 16, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
  3. Russ

I don't know which was worse:
    -Joel Osteen saying understanding the Bible's teaching on an issue is "not in his lane"
    -the guy excluding anyone who excludes other people's beliefs

what is worse? neglect or hypocrisy?

September 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  4. UD

Enjoy...

Gay Pengies

September 20, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  5. Denise

CNN, please, no more Osteen. The greasy plastic guy doesn't deserve the press, and the spill cleanup bill will come.

September 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • old ben

Yeah – I know, not even Dawn can help with that.

September 20, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • old ben

But Kevin Kostner may have a new idea for the clean-up.

September 20, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  6. John

"These are GOD'S words that ARE in THE HOLY BIBLE. GOD created MARRIAGE between one man and
    one woman for the sole purpose of PRODUCING children. "

Some argue that since homosexual behavior is "unnatural" it is contrary to the order of creation. Behind this pronouncement are stereotypical definitions of masculinity and femininity that reflect rigid gender categories of patriarchal society. There is nothing unnatural about any shared love, even between two of the same gender, if that experience calls both partners to a fuller state of being. Contemporary research is uncovering new facts that are producing a rising conviction that homosexuality, far from being a sickness, sin, perversion or unnatural act, is a healthy, natural and affirming form of human sexuality for some people. Findings indicate that homosexuality is a given fact in the nature of a significant portion of people, and that it is unchangeable.

Our prejudice rejects people or things outside our understanding. But the God of creation speaks and declares, "I have looked out on everything I have made and `behold it (is) very good'." . The word (Genesis 1:31) of God in Christ says that we are loved, valued, redeemed, and counted as precious no matter how we might be valued by a prejudiced world.

There are few biblical references to homosexuality. The first, the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, is often quoted to prove that the Bible condemns homosexuality. But the real sin of Sodom was the unwillingness of the city's men to observe the laws of hospitality. The intention was to insult the stranger by forcing him to take the female role in the sex act. The biblical narrative approves Lot's offer of his virgin daughters to satisfy the sexual demands of the mob. How many would say, "This is the word of the Lord"? When the Bible is quoted literally, it might be well for the one quoting to read the text in its entirety.

Leviticus, in the Hebrew Scriptures, condemns homosexual behaviour, at least for males. Yet, "abomination", the word Leviticus uses to describe homosexuality, is the same word used to describe a menstruating woman. Paul is the most quoted source in the battle to condemn homosexuality ( 1 Corinthians 6: 9-11 and Romans 1: 26-27). But homosexual activity was regarded by Paul as a punishment visited upon idolaters by God because of their unfaithfulness. Homosexuality was not the sin but the punishment.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11, Paul gave a list of those who would not inherit the Kingdom of God. That list included the immoral, idolaters, adulterers, sexual perverts, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, and robbers. Sexual perverts is a translation of two words; it is possible that the juxtaposition of malakos, the soft, effeminate word, with arsenokoitus, or male prostitute, was meant to refer to the passive and active males in a homosexual liaison.

Thus, it appears that Paul would not approve of homosexual behavior. But was Paul's opinion about homosexuality accurate, or was it limited by the lack of scientific knowledge in his day and infected by prejudice born of ignorance? An examination of some of Paul's other assumptions and conclusions will help answer this question. Who today would share Paul's anti-Semitic attitude, his belief that the authority of the state was not to be challenged, or that all women ought to be veiled? In these attitudes Paul's thinking has been challenged and transcended even by the church! Is Paul's commentary on homosexuality more absolute than some of his other antiquated, culturally conditioned ideas?

Three other references in the New Testament (in Timothy, Jude and 2 Peter) appear to be limited to condemnation of male sex slaves in the first instance, and to showing examples (Sodom and Gomorrah) of God's destruction of unbelievers and heretics (in Jude and 2 Peter respectively).

That is all that Scripture has to say about homosexuality. Even if one is a biblical literalist, these references do not build an ironclad case for condemnation. If one is not a biblical literalist there is no case at all, nothing but prejudice born of ignorance, that attacks people whose only crime is to be born with an unchangeable sexual predisposition toward those of their own sex.

September 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • Dr. Donnel Johnson

Perhaps I can draw your attention to a passage in the Gospel of Truth, which states, "Jesus found the scribes to be ignorant and foul smelling..."

These men were his employees and Jesus showed a discernible dislike for them. Perhaps out of jealousy that they were educated where he was not.

The text goes on to say, "...and Jesus thought not of the female form, and from heaven came to remove ignorance"

Again giving weight to the common thinking that Jesus was a h.o.m.o.s.e.x.u.a.l.

September 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Let's bring William Lane Craig into this:

1. Everything that exists has an explanation of its existence, either in the necessity of its own nature or in an external cause.

2. If homosexuality has an explanation of its existence, that explanation is Satan.

3. Homosexuality exists.

4. Therefore, homosexuality has an explanation of its existence (from 1, 3).

5. Therefore, the explanation of the homosexuality’s existence is Satan (from 2, 4).

September 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • old ben

Is this serious, Tom, l'autre? I'm not familiar with William Lane Craig. Would he really say that (especially #2 of course)?

September 20, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

leviticus says to KILL g.ays. seems like you left out that little gem. "surely they shall be put to death." put to death = executed. the bible is disgusting.

September 20, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Hello old ben. 2 is like WLG's "If the universe has an explanation of its existence, that explanation is God." He's quite serious about that.

September 20, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • old ben

I see, Tom. I see him being described by some as a Christian Apologist. That sounds limp right from the git go. Sounds like when it comes to reasoning, he has that "circle will be unbroken" mentality.

September 20, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
    • waitasec

the bible is just a claim. so what...?
      religion is just an opinion...so what?

October 1, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
  7. Mary Davis

Let me set you straight. GOD did NOT create the gay/lesbian lifestyle.
    Men's IMMORALITY created the gay lifestyle.
    Women's IMMORALITY created the lesbian lifestyle.
    GOD states his opinion on these lifestyles as an ABOMINATION to him. GOD says it is un-natural acts and
    un-clean acts. These are GOD'S words that ARE in THE HOLY BIBLE. GOD created MARRIAGE between one man and
    one woman for the sole purpose of PRODUCING children. GOD SET THE WAY THE WORLD WOULD BE..........LONG
    before any of us were born. I WILL NEVER GO AGAINST GOD BECAUSE WHAT HE HAS SAID IS 100% TRUE!!! GOD
    IS PERFECT IN HIS WISDOM! I will never TURN AWAY FROM GOD................for he has never let me down in all the 56
    years I have lived on planet Earth! I BELIEVE IN GOD. I BELIEVE IN JESUS. AND, I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY BIBLE AS
    100% TRUTH.. HAVE A GREAT DAY AND, GOD BLESS ALL!

September 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Dr. Donnel Johnson

In my research I have found that Mary Magdalene was in fact both consort and wife. A consort was simply a companion. If you read the scriptures, you will find that in the late BE and early CE, it was actually possible to both be married and single simultaneously.

How you ask?

You must refer to the Gnostic versus attributed to Phillip who said, "Be it spouse or alone, we are only that which our threshold allows on the Sabbath."

Loosely translated it means a woman can be beholden to a man one day, and quite free the next. This makes polygamy possible without breaking God's law against Adultery.

September 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • YeahRight

“GOD says it is un-natural acts”

It’s totally natural and has been documented in over 1500 other species. Heterosexual behavior and homosexual behavior are normal aspects of human sexuality. Despite the persistence of stereotypes that portray lesbian, gay, and bisexual people as disturbed, several decades of research and clinical experience have led all mainstream medical and mental health organizations in this country to conclude that these orientations represent normal forms of human experience. The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Counseling Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American School Counselor Association, the National Association of School Psychologists, and the National Association of SocialWorkers, together representing more than 480,000 mental health professionals, have all taken the position that homosexuality is not a mental disorder and thus is not something that needs to or can be “cured."

“for the sole purpose of PRODUCING children. “

Gays and lesbians produce children. Duh! Social science has shown that the concerns often raised about children of lesbian and gay parents—concerns that are generally grounded in prejudice against and stereotypes about gay people—are unfounded. Overall, the research indicates that the children of lesbian and gay parents do not differ from the children of heterosexual parents in their development, adjustment, or overall well-being.

September 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • James

The scriptures actually say nothing about homosexuality as a psychosexual orientation. Our understandings of sexual orientation are distinctly modern ones that were not present in the minds of Scripture writers. A few passages of Scripture (seven at the most) object to certain types of same-sex expressions or acts. The particular acts in question, however, are sexual expressions which are exploitative, oppressive, commercialized, or offensive to ancient purity rituals. There is no Scriptural guidance for same-sex relationships which are loving and mutually respecting. Guidelines for these relationships should come from the same general Scriptural norms that apply to heterosexual relationships.

September 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Wow!!! You are a bigot!! I don't give a rats ass what you think your imaginary friend has stated or not, you are so off base here. Your own beliefs, especially since they are based on a book proven false, matter not! Science has already proven that homosexuality is perfectly natural and you'd understand this fact if you pulled your head out of the 1st century and starting living in this one.
      I'm guessing you have no more than a grade 8 education though...you sound very ignorant!
      I sincerely hope one of your grandchildren turns out gay, so they know the true ignorance and bigotry of their grandmother...then you'll know the hate you spread!

September 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry "Mary Davis", but you assertions regarding God, the Bible, gays, lesbians, and Jesus are unfounded. The degree to which your assertions may represent correct statements is 0.0. To help you understand the degree to which your assertions may represent correct statements, I will access my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE). Using my IEE module, the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent correct statements is: "TOTAL FAIL, FVCKED IN THE HEAD B!TCH".

Perhaps the following book might help you discover how you arrived at these unfounded assertions:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

September 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • sam

Oh look, random capitalization...delusional ideas...complete lack of fact...great post. Since men and women are only for creating babies, we should totally start calling anyone who can't breed = unable to wed. Old folks, guys who can't get it up, women who are barren. You know, just to be fair.

September 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • realbuckyball

Mary,
      You're so cute when you try to talk all serious.

September 20, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • Jeff

Mary...I agree with you. God and Jesus are perfect. That is why they made me. I am not a lifestyle...I am not a mistake.... I am a human being that breathes, loves, and pays taxes just like you do. Now..if you want to get in the way of how God created me and Jesus loves me then you better watch out. You are going to have some explaining to do.

October 19, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
  8. UD

When I stand on h.omos.exuals, I prefer the "Captain Morgan".

September 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Dr. Donnel Johnson

@Santhosh

While I do claim to be an expert on Jesus, the Bible and the Gnostic Gospels, I do not claim to know what "everybody" follows. Personally I am and agnostic.

September 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  9. Dr. Donnel Johnson

@Inquiring minds want to know

Now you are making the old doctor think back a bit. Now if you read in Timothy the sections where in he discusses these sensitive issues you find this, "...it was whispered among the men that Simon, being extraordinary, was spoken of by our Lord."

What does this mean? Clearly Simon was gifted and most likely arose the attention of all the disciples, save Paul, but including Jesus.

@Rational Libertarian

You are quite bold asking for personal information on the internet. If I werre interviewing for a job, I can assure you that you would be most impressed with my resume, but alas I am no given to acquiencing to the demands of an inferior on a blog.

Now, if you want to know; Jesus never actually said he believed in God. In fact, if you read the Bible you will learn that Jesus actually believed in what he called, "The Divine".

What does this mean? Jesus, while inarticulate and a bit clumsy in general, had an excellent grasp of the fundamentals of what the Native Americans call, "Mother Earth" and what it is to be a "Human Being".

How do we know this?

Look at the teachings of Jesus in the Gnostic literature that relates to being reborn as a Snake, a Lizard, and a Spider. Why did Jesus feel he was reincarnated; and why these animals and insects? That is easy if you read the Gospel of Mary.

Mary had many pet names for her lover and among them were Snake, Lizard, and Spider. Snake and Lizard I can understand, but the passages relative to Spider are less clear.

September 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Santhosh

Sir,you claim to be very learned.But you are basing all your arguments on some texts that are not accepted by the majority. The book you call the Bible is not the Bible everyone follows.

September 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • Dr. Donnel Johnson

@Santhosh

September 20, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • birdhouse9

Giving loads of information, yet not giving the chapters, and verses. I'd love those please. To verify what you're saying.

October 1, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
  10. PJ

Oh, Joel- we know ALL about the Altar Boys. The Janitor. The Groundskeeper. The gerbils at home. Come on out, Joel... just come on out...

September 20, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  11. nottolate

"I stick to issues I understand"

-Joel Osteen

So why does this hypocrite talk about God when he has no understanding of Him but merely pretends to? Have you ever seen a bigger copout than the statement above?

September 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • Grand Ole Party of Christian Taliban

How can anybody know the gods created and written by men? Your comment is like someone saying that another does not know Santa or what Santa thinks. lol

September 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • OTOH

Ah, but, you oh wise and humble nottolate, have Great (yea, Nearly Perfect) Understanding, right?

I smell a book, "Notolations" (The Truth from a Clueless, Non-speller).

September 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  12. Rufus T. Firefly

Snake Oil – good for sales, and apparently a great hair product too!

September 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  13. William Demuth

I have no doubt a story shall break about this guy and some chior boy.

TeleFundies are always closeted.

September 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • Doh!

what he meant was ""I stick to tissues when I under hand"...

September 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  14. ME II

"I get paid to preach sunshine and rainbows, so I stick to sunshine and rainbows... regardless of the weather." – Osteen

September 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  15. AvdBerg

For the spiritual truth (John 14:17) about the above mentioned subject we encourage you to read the fifth item listed on the ‘Current Events’ page of our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

All of the other pages and articles listed on our website explain how and by whom this whole world has been deceived as confirmed in Revelation 12:9.

September 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • mama kindless

Revelation?? Everyone knows whoever wrote that mess was high as a kite. St. John the Opium Addict, evidently.

September 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • TROLL ALERT

September 20, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  16. Inquiring minds want to know

Is that his natural hair style or is he in fear of being outed?

September 20, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  17. toad

There's nothing special about Joel's stance. He just bends over and grabs his ankles.

September 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • sam

LOL

September 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  18. midwest rail

Now on CNN, Joel Osteen does his impression of Gregory Hines. Quite the tap dancing performance, Joel, well done.

September 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  19. AvdBerg

Joel Osteen is a false apostle who does not preach the Gospel of Christ but a false Christ (Matthew 24:24; 2 Cor. 11:13-15).

So, why would Piers Morgan take the time to interview him and ask for his worldly opinion on politics or any other topic? After all, for whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world (1 John 5:4) and does he not know that friendship of the world is enmity with God and whosoever thererfore shall be a friend of the world is the enemy of God (James 4:4)?

For a better understanding how Joel Osteen deceives the people through his ministry we invite you to read the articles ‘False Apostles and False Christs’ and ‘CNN Belief Blog – Sign of the Times’, listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

September 20, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Adverb,

did you even watch this clip? (It's not from the Piers Morgan interview where Joel Osteen was shilling his book.) It's a clip from a round table discussion from "Starting Point with Soledad O'Brien".

If you haven't seen the clip, don't bother. It's a total waste of time, but at least make an effort to make your comments relevant.

September 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • nottolate

What I find astonishing is how easily Satan deceives the world. Its mind blowing. These are adults who are as 3- yr children when it comes to his ability to deceive them.

September 20, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • Grand Ole Party of Christian Taliban

nottolate

Funny thing is adults still believing in a Santa figure. Get mental help

September 20, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • TROLL ALERT

This poster is a TROLL on this site. They are proven liars and only want to sell their book to support their cult plus their website also full of lies. Don't bother visiting their site, click the report abuse link to get rid of this TROLL!!

September 20, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Grand Ole Party of Christian Taliban

report abuse does not work bro

September 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

The gist of AvdBerg's message is always "You have been completely deceived by Satan". There are adults who are as 3- yr children when it comes to their ability to believe this stuff. I'm curious. There are arguments that God exists, like those of WL Craig, that provide some opportunities for debate. Does anyone ever advance an even superficially plausible argument that Satan exists?

September 20, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  20. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

More Joel Osteen? Must you CNN?

September 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • sam

It's just not right.

September 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • nottolate

"More Joel Osteen? Must you CNN?"

Of course they must because they are ignorant of the truth. He's counterfeit and because of their ignorance that's appealing to them.

September 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • Grand Ole Party of Christian Taliban

nottolate

"More Joel Osteen? Must you CNN?"

Ignorance you say|????? so says the one who still believes in a Santa figure. lol

September 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm |