home
RSS
Yom Kippur started Tuesday night. What are you atoning for?
September 25th, 2012

Yom Kippur started Tuesday night. What are you atoning for?

(CNN) - What have you atoned for? What would you atone for if you were into that sort of thing?

Tuesday evening marked the beginning of Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement, which Jews consider to be holiest day of the year. It's marked by a day-long fast.

Photos: Yom Kippur in Israel

In the spirit of the holiday, we put the question "What would you atone for?" to Twitter and got a range of responses, from silly to serious:

@JuneMDriedger
For faithlessness.

@heatherjochens
I would atone for my laziness and impatience. However, I am Catholic and I atone for about 40 days in Spring also.

@PennyofaThought
I don't need to atone for anything. Jesus Christ already atoned for every wrong thing I've ever done or will do.

@llieNOtreB
in 3rd grade I pushed my sister down the stairs and blamed it on the dog.

What about you? What are you atoning for? What would you atone for if you did celebrate the holiday?

Or maybe you already did some serious atoning this year, during Lent or Ramadan. Whatever the case, share your atonement stories with us, and we'll update this post with the best responses.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Holidays • Judaism

1. hinduMithraism Christianity baseofhindufilthyracism.

they need to atone for being hindu Jew, filthy self centered, secular, denier of truth absolute and be Hebrews, dedicated to truth absolute and follow truth absolute as their God, not of hindu Jew's, hindu, devil, denier of truth absolute as their god.To learn more visit limitisthetruth,com and click on word Choice on website to open file.

September 26, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  2. staratwordpress

JustaJew -

Perhaps people don't yet understand that it's NOt the personification of the man Jesus but the way He approached Life: the thinking and doing that leads to salvation. It is interesting that the word atonement ,when taken apart ,can mean
    "at onement" with our Source,

On this day of atonement, may all of humanity fully realize and live the GOD within and bring to fruition the regeneration of this world.

September 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  3. Vid

Were I the one who had asked, I would be atoning for asking, "What have you atoned for? What would you atone for if you were into that sort of thing?" BECAUSE THAT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

September 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  4. Rick McDaniel

All religion is nonsense. They are ALL control devices for the bad behavior of human animals.

I try to live my life, as we all should, with respect for each other, and each others rights as human beings. Religion is not necessary to do that. It simply is more convenient for some, to have that held over their heads, to make them behave properly.

September 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
  5. bibi

oppression of the Palestinians; apartheid wall; deathly blockade of Gaza; warmongering; and illegal, immoral occupation of Palestine; etc.

September 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
  6. Aaron

The holy days of GOD foreshadow His plan of redemption for mankind. So, having meaning that goes far beyond tradition, the day of atonement will be a day in the future that determines who qualifies for the first resurrection at the return of Jesus Christ. The qualifiers are simple and delineated in Revelation 14:12: those who keep the commandments of GOD and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

The problem is that "Christians" have tossed out God's commandments as "archaic", and Rabbinical Judaism has denigrated Jesus of Nazareth, the true Messiah, thereby disqualifying most groups from the first resurrection and putting each in danger of the second death, though there is another resurrection of the dead whereby many will believe and be saved from the second death, as the two harvests of the holy days foreshadow.

Source: Prophets of the TNK / Revelation (both say the same thing)

September 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Huebert

In a way I envy you. You live in a world with gods, demons, and magic; that's so cool. But I pity you because you are so removed from reality.

September 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
  7. Kami

anyone else read the headline to the tune of "war, what is it good for?"

September 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  8. Judas

What are you talking about, atonement? I didn't do it and you didn't read me my rights. I'm not saying anything till I talk to a lawyer, Jesus Christ you guys, you are supposed to forgive me, weren't you paying attention to that part? Some friends and disciples you turned out to be, really, I didn't do it.

September 26, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
  9. Convert

Being a regular reader of the comments on CNN articles, it's safe to say there's a LOT for which those who write comments on this site have to atone!

September 26, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  10. SokrMom

Ever having voted Republican.

September 26, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  11. bobble

I'm Catholic so every day I know I need to atone for each and every time I yanked my doodle.

September 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
  12. Rob

For reading yet another worthless article in "Belief Blog." I can't believe you get me so often!

September 26, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
  13. pinkhaze

Jesus was a practicing JEW! So all of you who pray to Jesus are praying to a JEW. We pray to Elohim not a human being. Stop attacking those who believe differently then you do. You are showing disrespect to others. Just who the #$#$ do you think you are? You are no better than anyone else in this world. Thankfully, we live in America, otherwise we may be shot for our thoughts or words. Grow up!

September 26, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

"We pray to Elohim not a human being. "

So you pray to a made up spirit in the sky. Yeah thats much better.

September 26, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
  14. Jon

For those who wonder: Atonement is not for God, it is rather for the offender to help his change become real.
    Forgiveness can be given in an instant, but reform of one's life is a process, usually difficult, sometimes painful.

September 26, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  15. Joshua Tilghman

Atonement was originally about something that happened "within" us, and it had nothing to do with sins as we understand them today.

September 26, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  16. reddragon

I am sorry I spent the last few minutes reading that long comment.

September 26, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  17. heartpeace

Wishing all the Jewish Community, a meaningful fast today! As a devoted follower of Yeshua, I as many others are also in observance of Yom Kippur. "For this day He will forgive you, that you be cleansed from all your sins before God" Lev. 16.:30
    Praying also for the peace of Israel. Shalom.

September 26, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • RealChristian

AMEN to that my brother!

September 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • QMAX1234

Amen, as a follower of Yeshua I too celebrate Yom Kippur. May God shine his blessings on the Jewish community.

September 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • ALamb

Amen. I too follow Yeshua and observe the appointed times.

Joel 2
      "The day of the Lord is indeed great and very awesome, and who can endure it? “Yet even now,” declares the Lord, “return to Me with all your heart, and with fasting, weeping and mourning; and rend your heart and not your garments. Now return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, abounding in lovingkindness and relenting of evil."

I pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

September 26, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
  18. Ryan

I guess "JEW MAGGOT" is acceptable to the administrator but not miy little rambling on objective and subjective morality. Oh well, was probably falling on deaf ears and hards hearts anyways...maybe not.

September 26, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  19. talesfromthemotherland

This is part of my own blog post on Tales From the Motherland. I did not convert, but have raised three Jewish children and have participated in Jewish life for 25 years now. I find it very odd that so many people chose to post Christian debates in response to CNN's query. We can all take a moment to reflect on things we might change or feel "remorse" for. Why does it need to come down to talking others out of their faith? So, I am answering this question sincerely.

I speak to faith, my own thoughts on this holiday and my ideas about "atonement" in my blog post: http://talesfromthemotherland.me/2012/09/26/the-middle-atonement/

I am sorry for those I may have hurt in this past year, knowingly or unconsciously. I am sorry for the times I spoke without thinking and said things that caused pain, or insult. I could say that I didn’t mean it, but in moments of anger I know I have. In other moments I have perhaps hurt when I didn’t intend to. I offer atonement.

To my daughter, I am sorry that my choices so early in my life led to such difficulties for you in your religious life. I cannot say that I would change those choices, as we each choose our own paths, and learn from that. However, I’ve often wondered if I would do it differently, had I known the hurt and struggle it would one day cause one of the lights of my life. I know you will grow from your own journey, and that you are a strong and determined woman, with deep convictions. I simply offer atonement for the role I played in your struggle, though I also smile in knowing how you have grown.

I am sorry for the times that I have not been honest: with myself, with others, in my heart or my thoughts. I want to do better with this. I believe in honesty and I offer atonement for the times I did not remember that.

I am sorry for the times I have judged others harshly, including myself. I struggle with this, but offer atonement as I work to improve this way of thinking.

I’m sorry for my dining room table. It’s getting better… but. I offer atonement for clutter.

I am sorry for things that I’ve held onto, that have long passed. I hope to let them go over this next year and truly make peace with them. I offer atonement for the ways in which my holding on has held me back.

I am sorry that a dear friend and I have let distance sit. I will change this, in whatever way I am responsible for. I offer atonement and hope for healing.

I am sorry for the times I should have just said I’m sorry, and didn’t. Letting go of the need to be right, that may take a while.

I am so very sorry for all the times I didn’t really listen to my mother and what she wanted. I am sorry for the times I belittled her, or judged her because of her disease. I regret the impatience and shortness I showed. I love her, and miss her and I offer atonement for the times I forgot that…

I am sorry for the times I have fallen short with my children. I will continue to work on personal change, and know that they love me and see that. All the same, for the times that my inadequacies got in the way, I offer atonement.

September 26, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • snowboarder

i expect that the majority of commenters are in the u.s. so their view of religion is viewed through christian colored glasses.

September 26, 2012 at 11:44 am |
      • talesfromthemotherland

It is a real shame that some people feel they need to mock and denigrate other's faith, ideas, etc to make a point. Good point Snowboarder... However, it's too bad that this is how the U.S. responds then.

September 26, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • deb

Dear Tales

I atone for all you mentioned. I also made alot of mistakes while raising my daughter and am living the consequences of my choices as she is.
      God is with us on this Journey and I am grateful for that.
      I also seek forgiveness for speaking things in anger that I always regret later. Praise God for working with me on this as I am able to control my tongue more than I used to.
      I also seek forgiveness for the disrespect I always showed my mother who passed away 2 years ago. God allowed me to spend 2 wonderful months and especially the last 2 weeks by her side and atone for my sins against her.
      I also ask God to forvie me for not making enough time to be in His prexence and I pray for the will and determination to do better.

September 26, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • pinkhaze

thank you!

September 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • LittleOne

Wow, you've got to go easier on yourself. Why not try to forgive yourself. The rest will follow.

September 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
      • talesfromthemotherland

Thanks. I am not that hard on myself... but this is a good time to look at a lot of things. But thanks for the thought...

September 26, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  20. yoshi

What kind of article is this?

September 26, 2012 at 11:38 am |