home
RSS
Dinesh D’Souza resigns as Christian college chief in face of questions about marriage
Dinesh D'Souza on CNN last month.
October 18th, 2012

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Conservative writer and activist Dinesh D’Souza, who attracted wide attention with his recent anti-Obama film “2016: Obama’s America,” resigned Thursday as president of a Christian college in New York after questions were raised about his marriage.

D’Souza had led The King’s College, a small but prestigious evangelical school in Manhattan, for the past two years.

His departure appeared to be set in motion by an article on the website of the evangelical magazine World that accused D’Souza, who is married, of sharing a hotel room with a woman whom he allegedly referred to as his “fiancé” at a Christian conference.

D’Souza has denied the allegations in the article, published Tuesday, and said he has been separated from his wife for two years and is in the process of getting a divorce.

“I am grateful for the past two years that I have spent as president of The King’s College. But now it is time to move on,” D’Souza said in a statement Thursday. “My resignation will enable The King’s College to go forward without distraction.

“And it will also enable me to address personal matters in my life as well as to pursue new opportunities made possible by success of my recent book and film,” said the statement, which was posted on his personal website.

D’Souza issued an in-depth rebuttal of the World article on the Fox News website on Wednesday. He did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Thursday.

“I met Denise three months ago,” D’Souza wrote in his rebuttal, referring to the woman mentioned in the World article. “We are not and have not been having an affair. Nor did we share a hotel room in Charlotte."

On Thursday, The King’s College board issued a statement about accepting D’Souza’s resignation.

“After careful consultation with the Board and with Dinesh, we have accepted his resignation to allow him to attend to his personal and family needs,” the college said in a letter to alumni.

“We thank him for his service and significant contribution to the College over the last two years."

The D’Souza flap has pitted two high-profile evangelical institutions – The King’s College and World magazine – against each other

King’s prides itself on being a new intellectual and urban face of evangelicalism, training Christians for careers in media, government and business and regularly attracting high-profile speakers like Mike Huckabee and the conservative editor Adam Bellow.

World is an intellectual bastion of American evangelicalism, edited by former George W. Bush adviser Marvin Olasky, who is also the former provost at The King’s College.

In his rebuttal, D’Souza said Olasky “vehemently opposed” his appointment as president at King’s and was using World magazine to “continue his vendetta.”

“Ultimately this is not just about Olasky or even World magazine,” D’Souza wrote. “It is also about how we Christians are supposed to behave with one another. And the secular world is watching.

“If my conduct was improper, wouldn’t it be the decent and charitable thing to approach me about it?” he continued. “Instead, here is a clear attempt to destroy my career and my ministry.”

Olasky did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Thursday. World magazine said on its website that its board of directors inserted prayers for King's and for D'Souza into the minutes of its meeting on Thursday.

"All-too-frequent reports of the sinful failing of our accomplished leaders bring us no joy," the prayer said, in part. "Instead, the searching light of your Holy Word illumines our hearts and minds to our own flaws and failures."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Education • Leaders

1. Sam Yaza

stop his hes destroying the sanctimony of marriage by getting a divorce

October 18, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
  2. STOP MURDER OF CHILDREN , Human be aware of hindu filthy dog's of hindu Atheism, self center ism , DENIAL OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD.

Human I have a 6 passenger flying carpet for sale, no flying experience needed, just sit on it and say where you want to go, it has a built in GPS. No reasonable offer will be refused.

October 18, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • STOP MURDER OF CHILDREN , Human be aware of hindu filthy dog's of hindu Atheism, self center ism , DENIAL OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD.

from hindu, lair used car sales man, use your own ID, hindu, ignorant to sell your fake carpets.

October 18, 2012 at 8:56 pm |

it is a real deal Hindu, denier of my business, I inherited from my goon father, he was a thief of Baghdad, not Saddam, if you think, crook say, "Talaq, Talaq, Talaq" three time and get yourself a new ID, like you goons change wives.

October 18, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
  3. STOP MURDER OF CHILDREN , Human be aware of hindu filthy dog's of hindu Atheism, self center ism , DENIAL OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD.

why the fuss about his affair, not confirmed, with a woman beside's his wife, hinduism, corruption of truth absolute, they profess as their faith, hindu Mithra ism, savior ism relabeled as Christianity is fundamentally based on bigamy, professing by hinduism, deception to obey one truth absolute GOD, but split "HIM" in two. Way of follower's of hindu Pharisees, criminal self centered, Christian's, every hindu infidel Christian follow's as his god. for more visit limitisthetruth.com

October 18, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
  4. Don 66

Wow – DSouza really got his just desserts! Whatta traitor!

October 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
  5. Boulderdash Gentile

therealpeace2all

Religions of the worldly kind parlor toward those who instill and incite to the capitalists' money trees in order to stay afloat upon the seas of societal generalisms. A woman who searches for a mate should do so without attempting to mate with them. Therefore, a man who pushes a woman into compromising their positional stance being no, then yes is no different than a man forcing himself upon her. Women hold the keys of Creation, not man! Women who allow men into them are but harlots and have no righteous scruples in which to lay claims to that which they sooner or later create!

The Art of love and the arts of love-making are 2 very different ideologies.

October 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Poe's law

October 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
    • blmarcus

No comprendo, was that english?

October 18, 2012 at 8:32 pm |

hindu, stupid, woman does not hold the key to creation, man does, woman mother's child of a man. Get some education, hindu, lair.

October 18, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Lair? LAIR?

What is wrong with you?

October 18, 2012 at 8:46 pm |

hindu, hindu, ignorant, ignorant, get some sense to realize truth absolute.

October 18, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • Boulderdash Gentile

blmarcus,

Are you a high school graduate or did you drop out? Surely you are no college quizno,,,,,

October 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Moby,

yep, called Poe on this 'un a couple of days ago.

October 18, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
  6. thecollegeadmissionsguru

No Dinesh, if you want to be a Fundie, you have to accept that you can't act the way you did. Idiot.

October 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
  7. The Church Lady

Well isn't that special?

October 18, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
  8. thecollegeadmissionsguru

D'Souza is an idiot. I once saw him debate, the man is a train wreck.

October 18, 2012 at 7:45 pm |

You gotta be a Donkey to say that, oh I mean Democ rat. Meet your family.
      [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYNXC3FaFLg&w=640&h=360]

October 18, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • tammy

Oh my I can't watch that. Hindus sacrificing donkeys. Poor things.

October 18, 2012 at 10:58 pm |

tammy,
      I insist, you watch entire video, your kind, goons, mole sting poor donkeys in the end, absurdity of Democ rats.

October 19, 2012 at 9:48 am |
  9. t3chn0ph0b3

2016 is no 1984.

October 18, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
  10. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I thought these two comments were funny:

"King’s prides itself on being a new intellectual and urban face of evangelicalism (hipsters for Jesus?)

"World is an intellectual bastion of American evangelicalism (born again William F. Buckleys?)

It begs the question: So what's an intellectual evangelical?

October 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Ooops – probably should have replied to @therealpeace2all

October 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@GOP

It's O.K. my friend... good to know that I wasn't the only one who found some of these statements to be quite...hmm... humorous ? 😀

Peace...

October 18, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

"So what's an intellectual evangelical?"

Excellent question.

October 18, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I believe that would be an oxymoron.

October 18, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Good evening Rufus-

Intellectual evangelical? Not contradictory – just another well-read madman.

October 18, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
  11. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Meow, Christian catfight. Saucer of milk, table for two!

In one corner, former George W. Bush adviser Marvin Olasky, who is also the former provost at The King’s College and now edits 'World' is an intellectual bastion of American evangelicalism.

In the other corner, Conservative writer and activist Dinesh D’Souza, who led The King’s College, a small but prestigious evangelical school in Manhattan, for the past two years and attracted wide attention with his recent anti-Obama film “2016: Obama’s America,”

One wonders what it was about D'Souza moving to the The King's College that must have ticked off Olasky and caused him to point the finger at the ("not an affair") relationship with "Denise" the fiancée (surely with two 'e's unless there's more to tell about Denise/Denis?)* while D'Souza claims to be separated from his wife for two years and is in the process of getting a divorce.

* Just pointing out the usual editorial standard here – no extra gossip.

October 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

D'Souza dishes back on Fox:

"Olasky was on the search committee when I interviewed to be president, and he vehemently opposed my candidacy. Olasky publicly admitted that he was resigning his position as a consequence of my appointment. The reporter who wrote this story, Warren Smith, also used to work as a consultant for King’s until I decided not to renew his contract. And what was Olasky’s gripe against me? As he put it, I was seeking to make King’s a non-denominational “mere Christianity college” in the image of C.S. Lewis. This for Olasky was simply intolerable. Having nursed his grievance for two years, now apparently Olasky is using World to continue his vendetta."

Meow.

October 18, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
  12. Moby Schtick

Anybody who has critically listened to this guy debate knows he is a weasel.

October 18, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  13. DMV

Of course Mr. D'Souza did not treat President Obama, a Christian, with the respect Mr.D'Souza expected his Christian critics to give to himself. The King's College should have never hired a person who was so focused on discrediting the President. He should have focused on the school, the students and ultimately glanced a few times into the mirror of his own soul. My daughter is a senior at the school. She and all the other students are owed an apology.

October 18, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • End Religion

Every child, such as yours, attending a Madrasa should receive an apology for the institutional and intentional retardation of her critical thinking skills.

October 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  14. ;p;

Whoops. Yet another 'morally upright' person screwing up in front of the world.

October 18, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • End Religion

The fraud of religion is plain to see. They simply don't want to see it.

October 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
  15. GOOD NEWS

Dinesh,

open your eyes and see,

Jesus thus calls you to the right Path,

in the beginning of this Third and Last DAY (=MILLENNIUM) here! (John 6/27, 40)

****UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES****

October 18, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
    • FifthApe

Delusion – you speak pure delusion.

October 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  16. therealpeace2all

FROM THE ARTICLE:

" King’s prides itself on being a new intellectual and urban face of evangelicalism, training Christians for careers in media, government, etc... "

Hmm... "new intellectual"...??? "training Christians"... Now, those are funny. This is basically training future fundies on how to put even more evangelical fundie christianity into media, government, business.

Yes, let's really prep these people on how to get more God back on radio, TV, internet... put creationism, as a 'science' into schools, re-write the textbooks and history books,... make sure we get that reaaallly conservative message of pro-life, or...**Forced Gestation** ™ as I like to call it, and only marriage for straight/het-ero, etc... 😯

Yep... just what this country needs more of.

Peace...

October 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • Boulderdash Gentile

I am a pro-life person who believes that life begins at the moment of the sperm burrowing into the egg and the genes from the sperm and from the egg combine to form the basis for Life's creation anew. I am sorrowed whenever I think about what an aborted fetus might have become,,, a DaVinci, a Bach, an Einstein. Why should abortion be the crowning jewel in a woman's freedoms? Suffer the little children whose mother rejects them before being born!

October 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • ;p;

@boulderdash – good for you, don't have an abortion. And keep out of other people's business.

October 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

" I am sorrowed whenever I think about what an aborted fetus might have become,,,"

or a Hitler, Manson or Jim Jones.

October 18, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@Boulderdash Gentile

What @ ;p; wrote was a good response to you. And, I felt the need to respond as well.

You Wrote: " I am a pro-life person " and... " Why should abortion be the crowning jewel in a woman's freedoms? Suffer the little children whose mother rejects them before being born! "

Um... Interesting that you picked out of what I wrote that 1 thing. Hit you where it hurts I see, yes...?

When you say..." I am a pro-life person" you are saying...*you* are a **Pro-Forced Gestationer** ™ 😯

Sorry... you want to force women to *not* have a choice. I'm just not with you Bible-thumpers on that one, and so far... and hopefully it will continue is the *law.*

Peace...

October 18, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • Boulderdash Gentile

therealpeace2all,

My being pro-life is neither political nor religious. It is my personal belief and I believe any woman who engages in acts for less than creationism is no better than a man forcing themself to be inside a woman. The pleasures of creationism do not come without due course. Humanity cannot be without creationism and creationism cannot be without purpose lest it undermines the truth for creating new life. Do not implore religion to disgrace my stance for being pro-life. I am not that religious.

October 18, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@therealpeace2all,

intellectual and urban face of evangelicalism: hipsters 4 Jesus?

intellectual bastion of American evangelicalism: Born again W.F. Buckleys? This defies categorization.

A bunker mentality I get. We see that here every day.

October 18, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Boulderdash Gentile

Blessed are the Cheesemakers

or a Hitler, Manson or Jim Jones.

"There is always a perverted negative in the batches!"

October 18, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Fvcking idiot. If you're so enamored of a fetus, then make sure you never engage in s3x unless you are absolutely certain that it can never result in pregnancy or that the woman you are boinking is willing to bear your spawn.

Otherwise, your say is nil. Nada. Zilch.

October 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@Boulderdash Gentile

You Wrote: " It is my personal belief and I believe any woman who engages in acts for less than creationism is no better than a man forcing themself to be inside a woman. "

What the Fvck !? So... you are stating that if a *woman* has s -e- x for any other reason than pro-creating, you are saying it's = to or the 'same' as a man that *r apes* a woman ? Really ? 😯

This is my opinion, but I believe that 'your' 'belief' is *very* distorted and warped.

While you say you are "not that religious" whatever that means, your view is very similar to the views held by evangelical christians, and even the catholics, with the 'no s e x unless for pro-creation' non-sense.

You Wrote: " The pleasures of creationism do not come without due course. Humanity cannot be without creationism and creationism cannot be without purpose lest it undermines the truth for creating new life. "

Spoken like a true, pro-lifer... I mean a true... ***Pro Forced Gestationer*** ™

Peace...

October 18, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Boulderdash is a moron. That is all.

October 18, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • End Religion

Boulderdash Gentile supports the American Madrasa

October 18, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
    • tallulah13

What exactly is a Boulderdash? Is it a sprint in Colorado?

October 18, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • Damocles

@tallulah

Yes, Boulderdash is named for the city in which it first took place back in 1885. It is a rather complicated game due to the fact that it was created by drunkards, but as I understand it, 2 falooples beat 7 crugs, but only if the 3 goalies on the opposing team have imbibed their weight in adult beverages.

October 18, 2012 at 11:26 pm |
    • Boulderdash critic

@boulderdash: ehmmmm if a particular fetus had been aborted, my sister's oldest (adopted) no good, always in trouble son would not have gotten police records, would not have threatened his adopted mother with physical violence, would not have fathered at least 2 babies as of the lastest count, none of which he takes care of or has even seen and visited.

My entire family wished that that particular fetus just wouldn't have made it through, like millions of 'natural abortions' happen all around us all the time, when the woman's body rejects the implant. Nobody "likes" abortions, but they happen, naturally and medically enforced. Colleague of mine has two adopted children, they are nothing but trouble, as much as they are loved. Sometimes it's better to let go. It's not just the next Einstein waiting to be born, there are Hitlers and Pol Pots and Stalins in the making too, particularly if they have bad upbringings...

October 23, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  17. FifthApe

Caught trading down (up??). He's 51 and she graduated high school in 2002 (sounds worse this way 🙂 ). None the less, I will enjoy watching this toad fall. He famously squeaked on about morality in his debates with Hitchens and its just sad Hitch is not around to see this.

October 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • End Religion

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V85OykSDT8&w=640&h=360]

October 18, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
  18. Blessed are the Cheesemakers

One of the top Christian and Catholic apologists can't follow their religious teaching but is able continue the Catholic Churches history of shifting the blame for their failures.

October 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  19. Tom, Tom, the Other One

His book What's So Great about Christianity was as inspiring as his personal life.

October 18, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • Veritas

Another GOP Rep. exhibiting a huge difference between what he says he believes and what he actually does – Scott DesJarlais impregnated a patient and pressured her to have an abortion some 10 years ago.

October 18, 2012 at 5:33 pm |