home
RSS
Dinesh D’Souza resigns as Christian college chief in face of questions about marriage
Dinesh D'Souza on CNN last month.
October 18th, 2012

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Conservative writer and activist Dinesh D’Souza, who attracted wide attention with his recent anti-Obama film “2016: Obama’s America,” resigned Thursday as president of a Christian college in New York after questions were raised about his marriage.

D’Souza had led The King’s College, a small but prestigious evangelical school in Manhattan, for the past two years.

His departure appeared to be set in motion by an article on the website of the evangelical magazine World that accused D’Souza, who is married, of sharing a hotel room with a woman whom he allegedly referred to as his “fiancé” at a Christian conference.

D’Souza has denied the allegations in the article, published Tuesday, and said he has been separated from his wife for two years and is in the process of getting a divorce.

“I am grateful for the past two years that I have spent as president of The King’s College. But now it is time to move on,” D’Souza said in a statement Thursday. “My resignation will enable The King’s College to go forward without distraction.

“And it will also enable me to address personal matters in my life as well as to pursue new opportunities made possible by success of my recent book and film,” said the statement, which was posted on his personal website.

D’Souza issued an in-depth rebuttal of the World article on the Fox News website on Wednesday. He did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Thursday.

“I met Denise three months ago,” D’Souza wrote in his rebuttal, referring to the woman mentioned in the World article. “We are not and have not been having an affair. Nor did we share a hotel room in Charlotte."

On Thursday, The King’s College board issued a statement about accepting D’Souza’s resignation.

“After careful consultation with the Board and with Dinesh, we have accepted his resignation to allow him to attend to his personal and family needs,” the college said in a letter to alumni.

“We thank him for his service and significant contribution to the College over the last two years."

The D’Souza flap has pitted two high-profile evangelical institutions – The King’s College and World magazine – against each other

King’s prides itself on being a new intellectual and urban face of evangelicalism, training Christians for careers in media, government and business and regularly attracting high-profile speakers like Mike Huckabee and the conservative editor Adam Bellow.

World is an intellectual bastion of American evangelicalism, edited by former George W. Bush adviser Marvin Olasky, who is also the former provost at The King’s College.

In his rebuttal, D’Souza said Olasky “vehemently opposed” his appointment as president at King’s and was using World magazine to “continue his vendetta.”

“Ultimately this is not just about Olasky or even World magazine,” D’Souza wrote. “It is also about how we Christians are supposed to behave with one another. And the secular world is watching.

“If my conduct was improper, wouldn’t it be the decent and charitable thing to approach me about it?” he continued. “Instead, here is a clear attempt to destroy my career and my ministry.”

Olasky did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Thursday. World magazine said on its website that its board of directors inserted prayers for King's and for D'Souza into the minutes of its meeting on Thursday.

"All-too-frequent reports of the sinful failing of our accomplished leaders bring us no joy," the prayer said, in part. "Instead, the searching light of your Holy Word illumines our hearts and minds to our own flaws and failures."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Education • Leaders

1. LB Colorado

We have all fallen short of the glory of God, for those spewing just plain mean stuff – good luck with that. This man and all like him will have to account for their actions.

October 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Which God?

Glory of who? Are you trying to say that a capricious, female hating tyrant, murderer of entire villages, hater of humanity and animals (flood), is a glorius god? Amazingly deluded.Your god is a loser, if it exists, which I sincerly doubt.

October 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Unless you ask forgiveness and repent....then you get off scott free.

According to that logic Jeffrey Dahmer is in paradise and Christopher Hitchens is punished forever.....how can that even be defended as moral?

October 19, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • ME II

Not to be mean, but it's not hard to surpass the "glory" of a likely nonexistent being.

October 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • James PDX

God allegedly created we imperfect beings and then decided to punish us for our imperfections. Only an imperfect being would do such a thing.

October 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  2. chris

I wish Hitchens was here to see this

October 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • ME II

Not sure Hitchens would consider it noteworthy. Isn't it a personal matter?

October 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  3. MSuken

When a Christian makes a mistake, it is the failing of the person. When a non-Christian makes a mistake, it is the failing of their religion or lack there of. This reasoning never made sense to me.

October 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

It is the same with their omnipotent god, he is all powerful, everything good that happens is due to his blessing but everything bad that happens is beyond his control and not his fault.

October 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  4. Sidprejean

I wonder how many articles this guy has penned touting the so-called "Defense of Marriage" amendment?

October 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • Keefster

Hopefully enough to pay off what his divorce is going to cost him. 🙂

October 20, 2012 at 5:19 am |
  5. vince

Jesus had quite a bit to say about hypocracy. I think a good deal of these so-called evangelicals should go back and actually read the gospels for once.

October 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  6. citizenmn

Another freak busted.

October 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  7. duckswheatie

for all of you that like to call Christians hypocrites: Christianity is BASED on the notion that we are all hopelessly lost sinners who need a savior–Jesus. It's the atheists who pretend to be doing just fine!

October 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • Damocles

Oddly enough, I am doing fine, no major complaints aside from needing a raise, but other than that, my kid is doing well in school, my friends and family are healthy, bills are paid up. Flog yourself all you want and bemoan the fact that you are alive but please keep your gloomy outlook to yourself.

October 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

But Christians believe that all the bad they do can be made right through psychic submission to a celestial overlord.

October 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • Damocles

@Doc

I think it's more of an excuse.... 'oh this book and my preacher say I'm already a sinner so I may as well go ahead and sin'.

October 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • R. Parker

The hopefully lost then should not be telling or teaching others how to live their lives and what is right vs. wrong.

October 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • EnoughAlready

There's rather a lot of religions, plus atheists, that don't buy into that whole Jesus myth.

October 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Yep,

Christianity gives us the disease (original sin) and the offers us the cure (Jesus).

That premise also has those who are "saved" act like they have answers the non-believers don't have. And the idea that if a flawed human does not believe that Jesus is god (a crime of thought) that person deserves to be punished for eternity but the believer can act the same way and yet ask forgiveness of Jesus and is therefor "rightous" and deserved to be saved. Hence the hypocracy.

October 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • duckswheatie

Just read the Bible or hear it preached, give it a chance. You got 80 years on this earth if you're lucky, why waste it on pursuing money, prestige, status, or something else. Why not think of eternity and look into it seriously. I guarantee that all you spewing hate have never even read the Bible. "The Most talked about book that no one's read!"

October 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • lisaspups

The Christians being labeled as hypocrites is not because they have faults. We all due. It is because they criticize and judge others for the same.

October 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

ducksweatie,

I have 12 years of Christian education, I am so familiar with the bible and christianity to understand it is absolutely absurd. I agree everyone should actually read the bible, if more people did, more people would come to the conclusion it is a load of manure.

As to your point of seeking mone, ect., ect., ....I seek to find out what is actually true and there is nothing original to the christian dogma that is anything but assertions and conjecture. Not to mention it fails on a philosophical moral basis.

October 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • One one

How is anyone to succeed at living a happy, productive, and emotionally healthy life if the foundation of their world and self view is based on the notion that we are all hopelessly lost sinners who need a savior ?

October 19, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
  8. Boston Guy

Too funny. Just another hypocrite spewing their hate towards anyone who doesn't believe just like them and getting caught with their pants down.....then lying about it. There is no place in heaven for liars!

October 19, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • Jason K

Then Heaven will be completely empty...

October 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  9. liz48

My experience with a baptist law school in Virginia was very similar...major bigots but seek to be politically righteous!

October 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  10. M.E.

Doesn't matter if you sin constantly when a book tells you that you get to be forgiven in the end. Go ahead, destroy your family with your selfish antics that your god told you not to do, he'll just pat you on the head and tell you it's ok in the end anyway. Such a great example of the christian moral compass. Do what you want, lie through your teeth, and wait for the atta boy in the end. The rest of us aren't so foolish.

October 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
  11. shiney

He's not having an affair, yet he's "going through a divorce" (present tense) & has been with this woman for three months.... YOU'RE STILL MARRIED!!! Why folks who unfortunately get divorced start dating & such in the middle of the divorce as opposed to waiting until the divorce is final is beyond me. And, people wonder what's wrong with the kids nowadays... no morals in the adults – that's what...

October 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • BobPitt

Do you also teach your kids to mind their own business?

October 19, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

BobPitt,

That is exactly the point, christians like him want to be in the "buisness" of others so they are fair game.

October 19, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  12. phillip raney

Religion destroys EVERYTHING!!!

October 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  13. David R

Just a note, everyone is a hypocrite... Being a Christian fundamentalist, I have to concur that D'Souza is not really biblical in his arguments and seems very contradictory.. When I say him on his interview with Retail Time with Bill Maher (though I agree with Bill Maher on religion and his certain view), I find D'Souza to be so speculative that I don't even sense any trust in any discernment in him.. At the end, his actions bears the fruits that shows where his heart lies... At times, I believe it is about money.. Not God....

October 19, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • David R

err don't agree with Bill Maher on religion

October 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  14. I do not trust

He really expects us to believe he did not do anything wrong. Dude you are committing adultery as defined in the Bible you preach from. Where in YOUR Bible does it say to spread half truths and hate as in your 2 bit movie? I do not care for mr. Obama but jerks like you and airhead Rush Limbaugh are forcing me to vote for him because of blasted speech and tactics

October 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  15. Bev

Don't forget Billy Graham. Mormonism has always been a cult. Oh no, I have changed my mind! I met Mitt Romney and I have removed 'cult' for our website. Now they are accepted as Christian. What a bunch of hogwash! And now that Dinesh has made a lot of money off of Obama's head, he too can sail off into the sunset. Shame, shame, shame! Charlatans, bloody charlatans!

October 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Tired of Idiots

I agree. Mormonism is a cult and these so called Christians that take to the media and the pulpit for personal gain, and there are far too many... will get there just deserves just after the big dirt nap...

October 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • BobPitt

That is correct, and if you press on them the answer will be "the lord works on misterious ways""
      as you said... HOG WASH...!!

October 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  16. joesmith

an battle worn marine once said,"there are no athiests in fox holes"; and it appears, the only hypocrites here are the sinless ones commenting negatively on this forum, go back to your glass houses, where you have no shame..

October 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  17. rdeleys

I love it!! Another one falls!

October 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  18. That too

Poetic justice from the non-secular world.
    Praise Jesus, God is Great, the suckers will buy your books.
    Don't worry, Fox, Beck or Rush have a lifetime job for you that will pay more.
    Switch to Mormon, get the on fast track.

October 19, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
  19. That too

Republicans, Christian conservatives, hypocrites, sociapaths.
    They are ready to lead America after the elections, into the ground.
    Trust them like Richard Nixon and Dick Cheney and Jiimmy Swaggart, for they have sinned by lying to us.

October 19, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  20. Jt_flyer

Another Christian hypocrite. Come on let's hear it. "I've sinned against you my Lord! [wimper, wimper...]

October 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm |