home
RSS
Dinesh D’Souza resigns as Christian college chief in face of questions about marriage
Dinesh D'Souza on CNN last month.
October 18th, 2012

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Conservative writer and activist Dinesh D’Souza, who attracted wide attention with his recent anti-Obama film “2016: Obama’s America,” resigned Thursday as president of a Christian college in New York after questions were raised about his marriage.

D’Souza had led The King’s College, a small but prestigious evangelical school in Manhattan, for the past two years.

His departure appeared to be set in motion by an article on the website of the evangelical magazine World that accused D’Souza, who is married, of sharing a hotel room with a woman whom he allegedly referred to as his “fiancé” at a Christian conference.

D’Souza has denied the allegations in the article, published Tuesday, and said he has been separated from his wife for two years and is in the process of getting a divorce.

“I am grateful for the past two years that I have spent as president of The King’s College. But now it is time to move on,” D’Souza said in a statement Thursday. “My resignation will enable The King’s College to go forward without distraction.

“And it will also enable me to address personal matters in my life as well as to pursue new opportunities made possible by success of my recent book and film,” said the statement, which was posted on his personal website.

D’Souza issued an in-depth rebuttal of the World article on the Fox News website on Wednesday. He did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Thursday.

“I met Denise three months ago,” D’Souza wrote in his rebuttal, referring to the woman mentioned in the World article. “We are not and have not been having an affair. Nor did we share a hotel room in Charlotte."

On Thursday, The King’s College board issued a statement about accepting D’Souza’s resignation.

“After careful consultation with the Board and with Dinesh, we have accepted his resignation to allow him to attend to his personal and family needs,” the college said in a letter to alumni.

“We thank him for his service and significant contribution to the College over the last two years."

The D’Souza flap has pitted two high-profile evangelical institutions – The King’s College and World magazine – against each other

King’s prides itself on being a new intellectual and urban face of evangelicalism, training Christians for careers in media, government and business and regularly attracting high-profile speakers like Mike Huckabee and the conservative editor Adam Bellow.

World is an intellectual bastion of American evangelicalism, edited by former George W. Bush adviser Marvin Olasky, who is also the former provost at The King’s College.

In his rebuttal, D’Souza said Olasky “vehemently opposed” his appointment as president at King’s and was using World magazine to “continue his vendetta.”

“Ultimately this is not just about Olasky or even World magazine,” D’Souza wrote. “It is also about how we Christians are supposed to behave with one another. And the secular world is watching.

“If my conduct was improper, wouldn’t it be the decent and charitable thing to approach me about it?” he continued. “Instead, here is a clear attempt to destroy my career and my ministry.”

Olasky did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Thursday. World magazine said on its website that its board of directors inserted prayers for King's and for D'Souza into the minutes of its meeting on Thursday.

"All-too-frequent reports of the sinful failing of our accomplished leaders bring us no joy," the prayer said, in part. "Instead, the searching light of your Holy Word illumines our hearts and minds to our own flaws and failures."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Education • Leaders

1. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

October 19, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but your assertions regarding atheism and prayer are unfounded. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module, the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "TOTAL FAIL".

I see that you repeat these unfounded statements with high frequency. Perhaps the following book can help you:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

October 19, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • CKW

...Um.... Hal 9001.... You mention that" Athieism is not good for Children" posts the same thing frequently. Well I just saw,not 20 minutes ago, that you posted your identical post shown here on another web page.( about Billy Graham). So I guess that makes you sort of a hypocrite.....Doesn't it ?

October 19, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, it doesn't.

October 19, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • .

And even worse on a Friday night? Everyone go have some fun, it is the weekend. How do u keep up this relentless schedule.

October 19, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
  2. scmaize

They don't come much sleazier and more dishonest than Dinesh D'Souza. This is the kind of guy who makes your skin crawl.

October 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  3. Boulderdash Gentile

therealpeace2all,

Mixing up my words to fit your own perspectives is tantamount to Plagiarism

October 19, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Idiot, 'plagiarism' isn't capitalized unless it's at the beginning of a sentence. Grow a brain, why don't you, you phony jerk?

October 19, 2012 at 11:18 pm |
  4. Martin

What a loser. How bad could this college be to hire a guy like this?

October 19, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • End Religion

It's more of an American madrasa than a college.

October 20, 2012 at 3:09 am |
  5. jemzinthekop

Good thing we can always count on religion sticking it's nose in secular matters that are none of its business. Now, if the guy said he spoke with a talking fiery plant in the desert or slept in the stomach of a whale then maybe religion could weigh in with it's fairy tales and mind control antics.

October 19, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
  6. JennyTX

The world would be much more peaceful without religion.

October 19, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
  7. Justsaying2U

What? Another Christian, Right-Wing activist caught in blatant hypocrisy? This show is starting to look familiar, I've seen it so many times before...

October 19, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
  8. jack johnson

The Bible says adulters should be stoned to death! When are we going to start with these so called religiuos people?

October 19, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • yippeeskip

Stoned to death or just stoned...

October 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
  9. Bill Fitzgerald

Hypocrite? Where is Obamas law degree? Where is his birth cert.? the real one. How many cases did obama handle a a lawyer? None, he never was an attorney. This guy is the biggest sham ever and people are falling for it even in the midst of failed policies and promises and skyrocketing deficit.

October 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • 4sanity

You must be one of those "low information voters" that everyone keeps talking about.

October 19, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • LucidOne

Dude – It's Romney that is the biggest sham. And I can't believe all the things you list are actually concerns of yours. Birther, really?

October 19, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • Info

Bill Fitzgerald,
      "How many cases did obama handle a a lawyer?"

During the four years Obama worked as a full-time lawyer at the Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, law firm, he was involved in 30 cases and accrued 3,723 billable hours.

October 19, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • End Religion

law degree info: http://www.factcheck.org/2012/06/the-obamas-law-licenses/

October 19, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Adam

Well you know what they say about people who have been fooled by Romney: YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

October 19, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

Please *don't* feed the 'trolls.' (Bill Fitzgerald)

Peace...

October 19, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
    • ERR what?

You can't be serious about this birth certificate crap still????

October 19, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Burning Man

don't waste your keyboard stroke...Evangelicals and their Conservative handlers aren't interested in facts, just their bankrupt ideologies and philosophies...

October 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • writer

When will folks ever state the wrongs of their own without bringing up the wrongs of another. My mother never tolerated that. She's say, I don't care what so and so did, I only care about what you do. This man is a hypocrite whether you like it or not. It has NOTHING to do with Obama.

October 19, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • Mukudi

Focus!!! It is about "This Man Dinesh." He cheated his church and religion. He has lied on his job application pledge to the CHurch and the organization. Obama does not work for this KING COLLEGE!!!

October 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
  10. blf83

Hypo-hypocrite!

October 19, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • JJ

My experience has always been the more Christian a person is the more of a hypocrite he is.

October 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • LivinginVA

JJ: I'm more inclined to say "the more loudly someone proclaims himself to be a Christian". I know several real Christians – but they don't advertise their belief, preferring to live it instead.

As my parents' budget got tighter when they got older, more and more "luxuries" were set aside so they wouldn't have to reduce their charitable giving. Retirement to them meant more time to donate to good causes. Even when my mother was unable to move around due to bad hips, she spent hours stuffing envelopes and making phone calls. My father, at 90, was putting in 20+ hours a week volunteering. It's because of their example I refuse to let the "Christian" become a dirty word.

October 19, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • sqeptiq

Christians are allowed to violate any rule or law because their imaginary sky guy says all they have to do is profess sorrow for their transgression and the slate is wiped clean. It's a forever get-out-of-jail-free card. Make whoopee and don't forget to say you're sorry.

October 19, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
    • wesmorgan1

Actually, there are probably authentic Christians all around you – but you don't see them or their works.

I say this because Christ specifically taught us not to be like those who pray for all to hear, or those who seek their reward from men; He taught us to do our good works in secret. There are many people who go out, every day, and do those things in that manner without ever been seen, reported or publicly praised. As far as I'm concerned, that's how it is SUPPOSED to be.

October 23, 2012 at 10:29 am |
  11. southernwonder

we have heard of outsourcing to india. but this guy takes the cake that probably would stump romney, the outsourcer. the question the christians are probably pondering : are the republicans outsourcing our souls too? romney would now staple u.s. passports to the foreign students diplomas they would receive upon graduation from this chrstian college – is that his plan?

October 19, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
  12. Curious...

....as to why there are so many anti-religious folks commenting on a religion blog. Seems like they would have better things to do.

October 19, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Belief and unbelief are but two sides of a coin. How can one concept exist without the other?

October 19, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Chaos

"as to why there are so many anti-religious folks commenting on a religion blog. Seems like they would have better things to do."

Dear Braintrust,

So called anti-religious" discussion are still discussions about religion. Therefore, the participation here is just as relevant as people like you. Moreover, the article is linked on the main page, not just the religion page.

Sincerely,

Your Intellectual Superior

October 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

When religious folks quit commentIng on my beliefs in public, I will do the same.

October 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • JJ

If there were a blog about equally absurd beliefs such as in a flat Earth I would be there ridiculing them as well.

October 19, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • End Religion

Curious prefers the nattering of loons, that pleasant sound she's used to hearing at her church gatherings.

October 19, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

Please *don't* feed the trolls. (Curious...)

Peace...

October 19, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • writer

If you'd stay out of our business; how we think, feel, worship, etc., we would have better things to do. But you keep sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

October 19, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
  13. southernwonder

he will think harder about 2012 than he did for 2016

October 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • Mukudi

Would like to see him on the campaign trail for Mitt Romney now. Perhaps with his temporary wife too and the permanent one since the divorce is not through yet.

October 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
  14. Boulderdash Gentile

Tom,

I cannot answer all your questions regarding my writings. I will though try to refrain from belittling comments. Regarding the powers unknown and redundancies, I can only suggest to you to consider the mechanics of a humane being such as ourself. Are not our states of consciousness similar and retrospective to psychic awarenesses? Hence, with immeasurable cellular activities just exactly how can we be consciously aware of our surroundings without our body's cellular activities not getting in our conscious awarenesses? What is it that keeps us separated psychically from our body's cellular activities?

October 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why don't you tell us your original name, BG?

You can't explain your writings because they're gibberish, just as they were when you were posting here, drunk most of the time, about your abuse of a younger boy when you were a teenager or a young man.

October 19, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
    • Boulderdash Gentile

Tom,

Sorry but I fail to see your reasoning. Are you tempting to make insinuations regarding my life? You know me as I am. I am no other but myself and will never be that which you want me to be. Careful what you write about me Tom. I am not a girl hiding behind a man's name nor am I that which you suppose me to be.

October 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why should I "be careful?" I recognize you and I remember what you've written in the past. You've been here before and your nonsensical drivel is a dead giveaway.

I don't "hide" my gender behind my screen name. I tell anyone who mistakes me for male exactly what I am and that I picked my screen name on the spur of the moment for no real reason whatsoever. Why don't you be just as honest? Or are you scared?

October 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And the bit about "tempting to make insinuations" instead of "attempting" is typical of your "style" as well. You are indeed the poster I recall. You're just too cowardly to admit it.

October 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • Boulderdash Gentile

Tom,

I am no coward nor do your insinuations scare me. Prove me to be someone else if you can. I will leave you to make lewed suppositions regarding my character and style. Last time I checked, I was still me and no one else. Get your "facts" straight before you accuse me of being someone else Tom.

BTW, You are a woman so act like one,

October 19, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • End Religion

Riddle me this, jackass: what's green and red and keeps us separated psychically from our body's cellular activities? Woo-hoo-hoo!

October 19, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@Tom, Tom

You know... you saw me in debate yesterday with "Boulderdash Gentile" about a women's right to choose.

If you recall, he(BG) equated a woman that has s e x for anything other than pro-creating to a man that r apes a woman.

And... why are you even bothering talking to this moron ?

Just a friend here askin' !

Peace...

October 19, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'm askin' because this fv cktard was here months ago under another screen name posting the same asinine drivel about "redundancies" and is pretending he's some brand sp ankin' newbie. He's a fraud posting here under a new name and lying about it.

I'll keep right on asking him to own up, grow a pair, and stop being a w u ss.

October 19, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
  15. bigdakine

Ah another republican hypocrite.

This is isn't news.

October 19, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
  16. Dave

Alex Wagner’s Oct. 17 appearance talking with comedian Conan O’Brien . In Wagner’s mind (Do MSNBC hosts actually have those?), Obama isn’t a typical politician. He’s running for office as a “higher calling.” (Islam)

October 19, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
  17. Lord Toronaga

Bill Clinton comes to mind. maybe JFK, Teddy Kennady.... Eh

October 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • Veritas

Except that the GOP set themselves up as the shining light of morality without whom society would collapse; they introduce legislation "defending" marriage and have a "war on drugs" then privately some have extra-marital affairs, gay sex, drug addictions. Smacks of hypocrisy.

October 19, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
    • rageshree

so you are comparing this Goan to Bill Clinton, JFK etc?

October 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
  18. rhondajo3

You are posting rumors of infidelity about a college president, but you overlook allegations of President Obama's sordid past with Larry Sinclair? Why does the media choose to ignore this and other matters that show Obama to to be a fraud?

October 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Got proof? Where's your evidence? Who's Larry Sinclair?

October 19, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • itsallaloadofbollocks

Because Larry Sinclair is not a credible source: Public records and court filings reveal that he has a 27-year criminal record, with a specialty in crimes involving deceit. The record includes forgery charges in two states, one of which drew Sinclair a 16-year jail sentence. The Pueblo County, Colo., Sheriff's Office also has an outstanding warrant for Sinclair's arrest for forging an acquaintance's signature and stealing her tax refunds.

October 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • rhondajo3

Do those reporting these allegations against this college president have proof?

October 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • End Religion

"Do those reporting these allegations against this college president have proof?"

Why don't you go ask them? This story, while reporting on the meat of the story, makes no allegations. It is simply saying "hey there's a story on this other site." Go check it out and natter away about your Obama conspiracies on that site.

October 19, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
  19. southernwonder

isn't he dinesh from india? indians are hindus, aren't they? or is he a convert? a convert often is more fanatic than natives.

October 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Mike

This guy is a fake christian just for the sake of getting benefits otherwise he is a cheat and a liar.

October 19, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
    • Bumble bee

Blatantly racist comment. Like saying to someone any Caucasian..."Isn't so and so a white, whites are European and barbarians who were converted to Christianity. Converted whites are more fanatical than natives. (Like certain someone in middle of last century in Germany)"......

October 19, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
    • DG

Dinesh is from India and a Christian. Your statement "aren't indians Hindus?" is similar to saying 'aren't Americans white?' or 'aren't Americans Christians?'. FYI, 78% of Indians are Hindus (including the non-followers), about 15% Muslim, 4% Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists and Jews making up the rest.

October 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • Justsaying2U

Leave it to someone from the south to remind us all how ignorant Americans are of anything outside of America...

October 19, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  20. Jerry

Ah, Christian hypocrisy; isn't it............ to be expected?

October 19, 2012 at 5:48 pm |