home
RSS
My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama
October 18th, 2012

My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama

Editor's Note: Joanna Brooks is a senior correspondent for ReligionDispatches.org and author of "The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith."

By Joanna Brooks, Special to CNN

(CNN)–There are two moments and two moments only that made my soul sit upright during Tuesday night’s presidential debate:

President Obama, speaking about the loss of manufacturing jobs to low-wage economies like China: “There are some jobs that are not coming back.”

Obama, speaking about four lives lost in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya: “I am the one who has to meet those coffins when they come home.”

Morbid? Not at all. I’m just a believer in the gospel of hard truths.

And as I am the mother of two school-age children, a teacher at an underfunded public university and a progressive Mormon, hard truths about the challenges our nation faces are all that makes sense to me.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred.

As an educator, I have witnessed firsthand how failure to generate responsible levels of public revenue has significantly compromised generations’ worth of investment in our public schools and universities.

And as a Mormon, I grew up with a healthy sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. I was raised, after all, with a religious aversion to debt and a year’s supply of canned wheat, beans and powdered milk in the garage, as instructed by LDS Church leaders. The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community.

Profile of Brooks: Crossing the plains and kicking up dirt, a new Mormon pioneer

This nation is in a difficult season, and I listened carefully Tuesday night for a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. What I heard instead were the usual rhetorical swerves.

Mitt Romney offered personal anecdotes about “binders full of women” that have nothing to do with economic security for American families. He promised allegedly revenue-neutral $5 trillion tax cuts but refused to provide solid details on how he’d balance the books. And he made throwaway references to all people being the “children of the same God” without substantial reflection on how that should translate in terms of budget and policy.

What I really wanted from the debate was more of the hard truths that Obama seemed to be on the verge of saying:

“This recession is fundamentally different than other recessions, and there are no short-term fixes.”

“Our old strategies for managing Middle Eastern conflict through military intervention or propped-up dictators don’t work. And there is no easy way forward.”

“The only thing the $3 trillion Iraq war produced for the United States was a mountain of debt and a legion of disabled Americans.”

“We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.”

“Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

These are the kind of hard truths that speak to the same part of me that took notice when Obama at his inauguration quoted the Scripture: “It is time to put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13: 11).

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And given the challenges we face in bringing down deficits while investing sensibly in the nation’s future, here are some other Scriptures I’d like to hear:

“Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6).

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

Morbid? Not at all. But I do feel a sense of responsibility for keeping an eye on the worst-case scenarios. And a few months’ worth of rice and beans in the garage, like Mormon leaders teach me. And an ear out for the gospel of hard truths.

I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes. And I will vote to give him a second term.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Mitt Romney • Politics

soundoff (2,087 Responses)
  1. Chuck

Most of you are blinded by the canidates way of answering direct questions. Neither canidate is worth spending much time on, becuase they can not tell the truth and hide behide false staments and white smiles. You are further are blinded that the Congress are the one voting in policy in this country and making policy not the President. Congress are the most corupt body of government in the world-even in comparison to to third world countries. Congress has sold our souls to China. We will eventually implode and our form of government will not exsist any longer. We have lost sight in WE THE PEOPLE, ONE NATION, UNDER GOD–instead we believe in GREED. MORE MONEY, AND NO GOD. What a life–if any that will remain in the years to come.

October 18, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Andrew

Sounds like you need to give your Walther a beej.

October 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  2. Ezekiel Drews (age 25)

A new accurate Obama slogan in affiliation with Government Motors:

"From Hope to Nope, in just 4 years."

October 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  3. Josh

I keep seeing people call Romney a liar. I challenge someone to come up with indisputable evidence that points to him lying on an issue. BTW media links will not be counted.

October 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • James Thompson

If the "media" cannot be a source than what? Wikipedia? Puleeze!

October 18, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • Ridge

More than that, the notion that Obama doesn't lie. Puleeze

October 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
  4. John Scheid

So hard truths matter to you but in what context? You speak as though standing up and listing yourself as a "progressive Mormon" should make you an expert on how or what Gov Romney would do or how he believes when running the country. You credit Obama for speaking the truth when he says fixing the economy is going to take more than 4 years – did you vote for him last time around when he said that if he couldn't do it in 4 years that it would be a one term proposition?

You are a mother and a teacher working in an underfunded school. I applaud you for your desire to help others. I have learned however that folks who judge the world by only looking at it from their limited perspective really condemn only themselves. There are things called second and third order effects that most who view as you do don't really see. The French are finding out the hard way that taxing the rich to make them pay more of their 'fair share' isn't working for them. The 75% tax rate recently imposed on them has them jumping ship and leaving it to the poor and the middle class who can't afford the type of social welfare that Obama wishes for America. And it really is the rich who can afford to leave so where does that leave the rest of the Frenchies?

You claim to have listened for " a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios." and then said Romney only offered "the usual rhetorical swerves." Are you really so educated that you would base your vote on a two minute sound bite interrupted by disrespectful denials and a partisan mediator rather than do some research and study of the positions yourself. Okay, so you're a mother and busy with two kids but taking the time to read "No Apologies" and understand how Gov Romney would do if elected President is just too much for you? Are you really that shallow that you won't take the time to 'study it out in your mind' before you decide what is the real and right course?

I wasn't on board with Romney in the beginning of this whole thing either but I have taken time to read and find out for myself what each of these guys believe and I have become a believer in the policies and direction of Gov Romney. When he talks about 'binders full of women' he is not disrespecting anyone. He is looking for the right person to fill a job. One that is hired on merit instead of political cronyism. When he challenged the teachers union in Mass as a Governor he was looking for a way to fix education that had data to support the way to fix it instead of listening to popular one liners about how to fix it in the 'opinion' of the educators of the day who didn't do any research to back their one liner.

You vote your way and I'll vote mine. I choose freedom for the individual with reasonable regulations over socialism and the idea that we are all equal and must share equally in the pain. The guy who produces something of value by investing his time and effort into building a product with a company pays for your underfunded school from the profit he is able to make. You chose to work there and he chose to build his company. Are you truly that ungrateful that he pays your salary and begrudge the fact that he makes more than you because the people around you value what he produces and buys his products?

How much did you get paid for your 'op-ed' by CNN not because you really believe what you wrote but the fact that they could trot you out as a "Mormon" to try to sway others out there who might really vote against him because Gov Romney is a Mormon? If you think you are not being used by these left wingers then you really don't know what is going on in your world.

I don't expect that my post will change your mind but it certainly feels right to stand up for my family, my God and my country. I have put my life on the line for over 30 years to support folks like you who sell yourselves and your futures for flattery and pride. Perhaps you really do believe what you say in your op-ed but you don't even learn what you claim to believe in your scriptures. Pahoran really was fighting with folks like you when the Lamanites were trying to defeat Moroni and take away the lives and liberties of the Nephites. If the parallels in your own scripture does not wake you to a sense of what this country is facing then you really are a 'progressive Mormon' that probably should look for a new faith instead of trotting out on stage and claiming to be open minded when you really are a sheep in wolves clothing.

October 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • James Thompson

You lost me with your rhetoric "Socialism"? What a joke! Obama is no more a socialist than Trump. Please learn what a socialist is before commenting. Please go speak to someone who lived in a socialist country and ask them what they think about you calling Obama a socialist. Please learn some history and open your eyes to the balance of government and free market that our country has created over the years. Don't allow the rhetoric and propaganda of a single party cloud your judgement.

October 18, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
  5. Suzanne

I live in Salt Lake City. I have seen how the Mormons run a state. The thought of what they would do to a country scares me.

Romney sounded so ignorant when he said he had binders full of women. Why? Because he was lying. It wasn't a mis-speak, it was an outright lie. Mormons do not believe women are equal. There is no way they would fight for equal rights. I have watched their hiring practices. They hire male missionaries who just returned from a mission before they would consider an educated and qualified woman. As a hiring manager, I watched Senior Management bring in return missionaries with no experience in at a higher rate of pay than a woman with experience. Mitt’s wife is on Prozac just like so many other women in this state. Just watch her after a debate. The reason she doesn't look like she is there is because she's not. If you think this is just ranting, research the facts. There is a reason why Utah has the highest rate of Prozac Use. http://www.lifeaftermormonism.net/profiles/blogs/mormon-women-prozacr-and

Watching Mitt Romney is just like watching any other Mormon with money and power in Utah. I've watched enough of them to see right through his lies and games. He doesn't give specifics because he doesn’t have them.

My biggest disappointment is that my vote really won't count. I will vote for Obama, just like I did four years ago. But since I live in a Republican state, Romney will take the electoral vote for Utah. This will not stop me from voting. You can't stop progress, but you can delay it by putting the wrong person in office.

October 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Pat

Hear, hear! Mormon women are "help-mates," pressured to stay at home to tend to the children and to "fix dinner" (according to Mitt) for hardworking hubby when he gets home. The last place a Mormon male wants a woman is in a position of power in a business.

October 18, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • James Thompson

Pat, This just another reason I oppose Romney. As a Mormon he gives us all a bad name. My wife would laugh if she heard your assessment of ALL Mormon men. Not all Mormon men are as you describe them.

October 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • Pat

Some articles re: the church's position on the female role –

http://oaklandmormontemple.com/tag/mormon-doctrines ("... there is no more valuable sphere in which a woman can use her talents and abilities than in the home.")

And a few quotes:

"The most important thing for a woman in this life is to be the wife of a worthy priesthood holder and the mother of his children." - Boyd K. Packer
      Saturday, February 11, 2012, LDS Worldwide Training Meeting
      ---
      From 'LDS Young Women Manual 1, Lesson 5'

Objective
      Each young woman will understand her divine potential and learn how to find joy in it.

Preparation
      1. Invite an exemplary sister (preferably one who has married in the temple and has a family), who has been approved by priesthood advisers, to speak to the young women about the joy of being a woman. Ask her to relate some joys and challenges she has experienced, including some when she was the age of the young women in the class. She might tell about specific experiences and choices that helped her stay close to Heavenly Father and the blessings and joy that resulted. She should emphasize the joy of being a woman at every age. Suggest that she take about twenty minutes. Ask her to allow time for the young women to ask her questions and express their feelings.

OR

You may invite a grandmother, mother, and young married woman, who have been approved by priesthood advisers, to briefly express the joys of womanhood they are presently experiencing. You might suggest that they also mention joys they experienced when they were the age of the young women. Stress to each that she is allowed only five or six minutes. You might offer to time them and signal when their time is up.
      -–
      President Kimball cautioned, “Do not … make the mistake of being drawn off into secondary tasks which will cause the neglect of your eternal assignments such as giving birth to and rearing the spirit children of our Father in Heaven” (Ensign, Nov. 1979, pp. 102–3)
      -–

October 18, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  6. Ridge

You quote Obama on these "hard truths": “We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.” “Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”
    I fail to see how these are anymore than anecdotes you accuses Mitt Romney of presenting. Sure we need to have a discussion, but do you think it's really going to happen? As far as paying down debts by adjusting revenues, that screams more taxes number 1, but number 2 when is Obama just simply going to address spending? He's had four years and failed at both of these points. You're naive to think four more years of this is what the country needs.

October 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
  7. IndyMike

Andrew wrote:
    I'd take that all day and twice on Sunday over spineless Romney. They guy is literally unable to tell the truth, he talks out of both sides of his mouth like an experienced snake oil salesman. With Obama, you know what you are going to get, Romney is a wild card that we cannot afford at this critical time in the recovery.

Hey Andrew: We aren't in a recovery and won't ever get there with this administration's bungled actions and failed policies. Obama has accomplished NOTHING but to drive us into deeper deficits. You want 4 more years of that? Go to Greece and see how it is working for them.

October 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Andrew

All indicators are rising, we are going to recover. Economies are cyclical and the smart Republicans know that. If Obama wins, when the economy improves he will get the credit which, paves the way for Hillary/Castro in 2016. Republicans are desperate to win b/c they know if they don't, that the Dems will be in control for the next 12 years.

October 18, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • AmesIA

Look at the data. Taxes have actually gone down. Our involvement in Iraq isn't bleeding us dry at the rate it was before. Unemployment is down. Go to definitive sources for all of this information – e.g. congressional budget office and not some tin-foil-hat blog or AM radio talk show host.

October 18, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Dave

People love to say we're not in a recovery, but EVERY economic indicator proves we are, from housing prices (a lagging indicator) to manufacturing, to unemployment, and everything in between. Don't take my word for it, look up the numbers yourself. Are we recovering as fast as we'd like? Absolutely not. But try to remember that four years ago, we were on the verge of almost certain financial collapse, and our economy was bleeding jobs at a rate of 800k per month. The fact is, we ARE in a recovery. Deny it if you want, but that doesn't change the facts.

October 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
  8. buzz

Sure go ahead vote for Jim Jones I mean Mitt Romney, we know what happened to those poor souls.

October 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • DB24601

Maybe you can use SOME part of what you call a brain and show how you can compare Romney to Jim Jones. Sounds like the only one drinking kool-aid, furnished by the media and liberals, is you.

October 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  9. James Thompson

Thank you for this article. I too am a "Mormon" and voting for Obama. Listening to him and his wife speak reminds me much more of the values I grew up with in the church. Our values of hard work, helping one another, family and community are not exclusive to one party. Currently I feel that Obama represents them more so than Romney. Progressive Mormons need to stand up. There are more of us than people think, Mormons for Obama dot net.

October 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • IndyMike

Is that "mormon"or "moron"?

October 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • James Thompson

IndyMike, Cute but not very productive. As I tell my fellow Democrats and liberals "If we want people of faith to stop voting blindly for the Republican party we cannot belittle them or demean them." As for my intelligence, I had sufficient intelligence to get my Ph.D. and am currently working on cures for cancer and autoimmune disease.

October 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  10. ray

these romneys are a disgrace to any fate, they are all liars, racists, hypocrites and dishonest.

October 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
  11. maverick

Nice article. The simple truth is Obama is better for the US now than Romney. The whole world was in recession.. US is not an island. Obama tried. Romney cant do better.. In fact no president could have done better.
    OBama 2012

October 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
  12. Crazy

A lot of people don't seem deterred about electing a man who believes god is an alien from an imaginary planet and that black people are black because of a curse from god, and that some day we can all be gods of our own planets. It is very disturbing that a man who insists he will base his policies on these beliefs may become president. Republicans are literally INSANE!!!!!

October 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • John

As I recall, we have freedom of religion in this country. It's such a shame that people like you are so biased that you would take someones religious preference to help sway your vote. Shame on you.

October 18, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • So sorry 4 U

Man you are a twisted, brainwashed soul. I feel for you.

October 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  13. Andrew

What have Republicans done to make abortion illegal? They had both houses and the presidency for 6 years and that did nothing to protect the unborn. Abortion is the carrot they dangle in front of religious sheep to keep them on the treadmill. It is always there, dangling above them, but tantalizingly out of reach.

October 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • beezers

Kinda like Obama and gun control, immigration reform... you know what, why don't you see through the BS on both sides.

October 18, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  14. buzz

Her article is not about her religion/morman, it's about the truth according to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. There are no denominations/religious groups/cults in heaven. I belong to a denomination as well but like Ms. Brooks, I don't follow it's full doctrine if it's not the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Religions have a lot of stupid man made rules, nothing biblical about that. People are so naive and easily maniuplated from the truth and too lazy to understand facts but easily mislead to fiction/lies =Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan. .

October 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Andrew

"Religion is a crutch for weak minded people who need strength in numbers."
      Love this quote, Jesse Ventura nailed it. Unfortunately religion, in America Christianity, throws a blanket over the heads of its followers. It keeps them in line like the sheep they have let themselves become.

October 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Needs Work

I respect every citizen's opinions as to how they arrive to their voting choices, but do we really have the prerogative of a four-year experimentation? Romney, without a doubt, is a good, caring and charitable man. Yet, the demonizations and lies thrown at him are absurd.
      Obama and Romney will not get financially hurt no matter what the election results might be. It is the families, the uneducated, the young, the new hard-working immigrants, the sick and disabled are the ones that will suffer - not because of the election but because of the economic state of the nation - RIGHT NOW.
      Let's get to work, and do it right: Vote Romney-Ryan 2012.

October 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  15. Cami100k

This woman is not a representative of the LDS (Mormon) faith. If you want to know what the LDS church believes go directly to the source–Mormon.org and lds.org. Brook it is fine for you to choose what and the way you believe (Mormon, Democrat, liberal etc. etc.), but this is a very strange article and I'm sure most readers recognize this as just another crazy, awkward type of "Harry Reid" partisan nonsense. You do know Harry is losing his mind, don't you. I'm beginning to wonder what you have lost..... besides your mind.

October 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • James Thompson

Your comment is a little hurtful and not becoming a Christian. She never claimed to be a representative of the church. She does not claim to speak for the church. We have been counseled to participate in the political process. To serve our country. We have never been counseled to demean or belittle people. We have not been counseled to be contentious. We have been counseled to build upon common beliefs and love our neighbor. I appreciate all points of view but let us keep it constructive.

October 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • Dave

Here are some comments on her concerns:

First, outsourcing. Obama is an outsourcer.

After receiving a $500 million stimulus loan guarantee, Fisker Automotive is producing their $100,000 luxury electric sports car in Finland. (“Car Company Gets U.S. Loan, Builds Cars in Finland,” ABC News, 10/20/11)
      Nearly Half of President Obama’s $2.4 billion devoted to advanced vehicle batteries went to foreign companies in places like Russia, China, South Korea and France. (“Obama Sends Stimulus Aid to Foreign Firms,” Washington Times, 8/6/09)
      Sempra Energy was awarded a $337-million loan guarantee to supply panels for a solar power plant in Arizona. However, the company purchased its solar panels from the Chinese solar giant Suntech. (“Sempra Gets $337 Million Guarantee for Arizona Solar Project,” Bloomberg News, 9/28/11)
      Two South Korean companies – LG Chem and Dow Kokam – were given $303 million to produce car batteries in the U.S., but then brought in foreign workers. Local unions have criticized the company for filling jobs with foreign workers. (“Unions Say Foreign Workers Taking Stimulus Jobs,” CBS News, 4/13/12)
      “An April 2010 study by the Energy Department found that 60 percent of the 40 largest wind farms then financed by the stimulus relied on foreign manufacturers for their central components, including turbines.” (“Obama’s Record on Outsourcing Draws Criticism from the Left,” The Washington Post, 7/9/12)
      California-based Tezo Systems lost its bid for a ‘stimulus’-funded grant to install television monitors on California buses to a New Zealand company. (“Santa Clarita Rejects Protest, New Zealand Company Keeps Stimulus Contract,” NBC4 Los Angeles, 5/16/12)
      A federal investigation found that “at least $7 million in federal stimulus money intended to provide jobs to unemployed Oregonians instead paid wages to 254 foreign workers.” (“Federal Stimulus Money for Oregon Jobs Hired Foreign Workers,” The Oregonian, 10/20/12)

Second, Libya:

The Libya issue is such a lie. Perhaps Obama made an indirect reference to terrorism in the rose garden, but then he went on the View and Letterman (taking advantage of crises like he always does) to blame America by stating that the attack was due to some video no one has seen. Then, Clinton repeats the line along with the White House Spokesman several times. Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the U.N., went on five networks' Sunday shows and cast the attack as hardly a coordinated strike by terrorists. She said:
      "We are obviously investigating this very closely. The FBI has a lead in this investigation," Rice said Sept. 16 on "Fox News Sunday." "The information, the best information and the best assessment we have today is that in fact this was not a preplanned, premeditated attack. That what happened initially was that it was a spontaneous reaction to what had just transpired in Cairo as a consequence of the video. People gathered outside the embassy and then it grew very violent and those with extremist ties joined the fray and came with heavy weapons, which unfortunately are quite common in post-revolutionary Libya and that then spun out of control.
      "But we don't see at this point signs this was a coordinated plan, premeditated attack. Obviously, we will wait for the results of the investigation and we don't want to jump to conclusions before then. But I do think it's important for the American people to know our best current assessment."
      Meanwhile, Biden suggests in the VP debate they didn’t know what happened and Clinton takes responsibility for the fiasco. I give CNN some credit for standing up to the administration when they retrieved the Ambassador’s journal. However, they and the rest of the media have been quiet about the congressional hearings. PATHETIC COVERUP and embarrassing journalism!

October 18, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • mary

Goooooo Cami
      I agree. How many people in this country are so uneducated, unimformed, and can believe every lie that comes out of that man's mouth. Well, heres how I see O'bama. He can quote any scripture he wants, but he beilieves in gay marraige, why???? For the votes. To many people on welfare. drivers licenses and social security cards ..........but he gives out amnesty, drivers licenses and social security cards like candy to children, why???? for their votes. If there ever was a two faced man he's it. He might even be the antichrist.

October 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • sam stone

perhaps obama believes in gay marriage because it would be treating citizens equally.

October 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • James Thompson

Right on Sam. Thank you!

October 18, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • Ridge

How do you guys know Obama BELIEVES in gay marriage? Has he ever definitely stated this?

October 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • Cami100k

Hey Brook how many different names are you posting with here? Are you pretending to be a man the whole time or did you choose feminine names too.

October 18, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • Amy

You guys will please forgive Cami.....her prozac dosage is all screwed up. It makes her insultive and rude. Run along Cami....

October 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  16. obamaphone

Please vote for Obama America! He gave me my free obamaphone so I can call all my homies. Now with that and foodstamps and all my gov't handouts, I never have to worry about working! plus I have 8 kids so this is the shizzle! Obama makes this possible! If Romney wins, he will create jobs and make me have to work for a living. I would vote but I'm a convicted felon, so me and my homies are counting on you America! Vote Obama! Now I'm off to watch Judge Judy. HOLLA!

October 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • spartan74

Did you practice to become so ignorant or does it come natural?

October 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Tyrone212

Obama does have that swagger and has luv fo da streetz.

October 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • cherb

Are your hommies 64 or older....because if again you'd look at facts...most Regan/Bush phones (yes again fact is they weren't began by Obama) they are issued to more senior citizens. They are basically trac phones with 200 minutes...not iphones. A world wear people make up their own facts is a scary thing. As for the post...I truly hope this is from a real mormon...and she convinces other's that the church is not about greed.

October 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Tony

Stay off the LSD, go and see the dentist and take a shower for a change, freaking redneck.

October 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  17. Joan

There is a God whether you believe it or not. And he is not going to make Romney and his fakeness take over the Country. We
    who know God is praying without ceasing. God love American and the American people and he knows that Obama is the best to continue to take this country out of the horrible mess the GOP caused. Romney has zero plan to create jobs or pay down the debt. This man has been trying to be President for years now and don't have a clear, concise workable plan. Hello how stupid does this guy think we are. He is banking people who do not read and follow with current event to hear his lies and sound bites and go vote for him.

October 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  18. IndyMike

From the article: "I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes."

That all good but he has actually accomplished nothing except driving us deeper into debt.

October 18, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • spartan74

If you got your information from anywhere else besides fox "news" you would know that Obama's policies are the only thing that prevented this country from going into a full blown depression.

October 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • IndyMike

Spartan: I don't watch FOX. I did watch the debate the other night and was amazed that the moderator from CNN could be so obviously biased. Obama's policies are driving us to default. Quit letting the liberal left media think for you.

October 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
  19. DennisT

Who writes the headlines? "The Mormon Case for Obama"? This is "A mormon's case for Obama". This is simply a personal opinion, not backed up by anything "mormon", so calling the opinion "mormon" is misleading.

As for that opinion, I can't see anything other than listening to the lies from both sides and choosing to believe that Obama's empty words are somehow more valid than Romney's empty words. There is no record that demonstrates that is the case, however. At least Romney has some history, in business, of accomplishing some of the things he set out to do. That's why I'm going to give him a chance. Obama makes a lot of pretty promises, as does Romney, but Obama has proven that he can't fulfill.

October 18, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
  20. mn

I work with quite a few Mormans, and all I hear is we must all vote for Romney, we are obligated by our religion. Thank you for one of the more insightful articles. Thank you for being able to think independently, and at the same time be true to your religion. I am Catholic, and though I wasn't of voting age, I attended Catholic school and II was told that my parents would go to hell if they did not vote for Jack Kennedy. I come from a state where one of our representatives signed a pledge to vote against anything our President opposes, even if it is for the common good. I fervently hope that Obama is reelected and that congress will have seen through this campaign that they must work together to help a good honest man and thus the country out of this "hard season."

October 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • DB24601

The Mormons you work with are morons if they believe that. No Mormons are told to vote for Romney. Some are dumb enough to vote for Romney just because he's Mormon, while others vote for him because they are politically astute. But NO Mormons are told by the church to vote for Romney ... that's utter hogwash.

October 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Dave

mn is not telling the truth. The church issues a letter every year telling people to vote, but reminding them the church will not tell you who to vote for.

October 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • TJeff1776

I am confident that your statement is a lie. I am Mormon and intend to vote for Obama as do many of my Church friends. Put simply, we disagree with Romney's overall program. As for the Church itself, noone holding a leadership poisition voices, writes, or otherwise communicates a political position and thats the whole of it and the end of it.

October 18, 2012 at 12:19 pm |