home
RSS
My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama
October 18th, 2012

My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama

Editor's Note: Joanna Brooks is a senior correspondent for ReligionDispatches.org and author of "The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith."

By Joanna Brooks, Special to CNN

(CNN)–There are two moments and two moments only that made my soul sit upright during Tuesday night’s presidential debate:

President Obama, speaking about the loss of manufacturing jobs to low-wage economies like China: “There are some jobs that are not coming back.”

Obama, speaking about four lives lost in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya: “I am the one who has to meet those coffins when they come home.”

Morbid? Not at all. I’m just a believer in the gospel of hard truths.

And as I am the mother of two school-age children, a teacher at an underfunded public university and a progressive Mormon, hard truths about the challenges our nation faces are all that makes sense to me.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred.

As an educator, I have witnessed firsthand how failure to generate responsible levels of public revenue has significantly compromised generations’ worth of investment in our public schools and universities.

And as a Mormon, I grew up with a healthy sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. I was raised, after all, with a religious aversion to debt and a year’s supply of canned wheat, beans and powdered milk in the garage, as instructed by LDS Church leaders. The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community.

Profile of Brooks: Crossing the plains and kicking up dirt, a new Mormon pioneer

This nation is in a difficult season, and I listened carefully Tuesday night for a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. What I heard instead were the usual rhetorical swerves.

Mitt Romney offered personal anecdotes about “binders full of women” that have nothing to do with economic security for American families. He promised allegedly revenue-neutral $5 trillion tax cuts but refused to provide solid details on how he’d balance the books. And he made throwaway references to all people being the “children of the same God” without substantial reflection on how that should translate in terms of budget and policy.

What I really wanted from the debate was more of the hard truths that Obama seemed to be on the verge of saying:

“This recession is fundamentally different than other recessions, and there are no short-term fixes.”

“Our old strategies for managing Middle Eastern conflict through military intervention or propped-up dictators don’t work. And there is no easy way forward.”

“The only thing the $3 trillion Iraq war produced for the United States was a mountain of debt and a legion of disabled Americans.”

“We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.”

“Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

These are the kind of hard truths that speak to the same part of me that took notice when Obama at his inauguration quoted the Scripture: “It is time to put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13: 11).

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And given the challenges we face in bringing down deficits while investing sensibly in the nation’s future, here are some other Scriptures I’d like to hear:

“Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6).

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

Morbid? Not at all. But I do feel a sense of responsibility for keeping an eye on the worst-case scenarios. And a few months’ worth of rice and beans in the garage, like Mormon leaders teach me. And an ear out for the gospel of hard truths.

I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes. And I will vote to give him a second term.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Mitt Romney • Politics

soundoff (2,087 Responses)
  1. Jim

I wonder what the dept would look like without the wars? They weren't even on the book the first few years.

October 18, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  2. Rosie

Yay! A voter who is thinking instead of following old party lines! Thank you Joanna.

October 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  3. Rebekah Filson

While I respect Joanna as a fellow member of my faith, her arguments in support of President Obama are laughable. She argues he is tough on China, which is a joke. China is able to manipulate its currency to keep its labor costs far below ours because President Obama fails to punish them in any way for it.

I could barely get through her ridiculous notion that this president is fiscally responsible. He has raised deficits and debt more than any other President in history. Most of his programs have done little for the economy and have sucked private sector money and investment into the public sector where it has no potential growth.

Joanna is a very liberal and non typical Mormon. That is fine, she has to vote her own conscience, as we all do. However, I would hope her vote is more educated than she espouses here, as her facts are flimsy at best.

October 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • Anchorite

You Mormons never have been big on accepting anyone who deviates from your religious party line. Why should I vote for a candidate who was a bishop in a church that kicked out members of my family so their elders could have more of the young women as wives? Why would I vote for a president who only has love for the wealthy whites he grew up with?

October 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • OutPastPluto

There are a number of campaign talking points and their associated debate questions that are laughable. They come under the heading of "hard truths". On the one hand we would like our leaders to speak frankly to us, on the other hand we realize that we the electorate would never tolerate it. Some notions are just incompatible with how the world works, or how the economy works, or how America is supposed to work.

Controlling the price of any freely traded commodity would be a good example.

October 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • Davis

Wow, Anchorite! You are an uneducated fool at best.

October 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • Get a clue

We all know you're lying Anchorite. Bishop's do not have the ability to kick anyone out of church. Nice try though

October 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Corey

Well first of all she did not mention China once in this article. So I don't know where that came from. Second this president inherited a 1 trillion dollar fiscal deficit. And lest us not forget how our government works. It is the congress's job to write our budgets and to have the senate ratify them. Then and only then does it go to the presidents desk. If you remember what the GOP ran on in 2010 is jobs, jobs, jobs. Yet they seem content on fighting for their social issues instead of tackling the deficit and debt. They have symbolically voted over twenty times to repeal the affordable care act. Which is a pipe dream because they should know it would never pass the senate or be signed by the president. So to me that is wasting time for the things that they ran on which is jobs. I always here the complaint that Obama hasn't produced a budget. Yet like I just stated it is the house and senates jobs to do that. And this notion that the Democrats are/were unwilling to work across the isle is laughable. Every time they move closer to the center the right moves further to the right. If you remember when the whole need to cut spending was introduced it was around 18 billion a year. Democrats reluctantly agreed. Then the GOP said well we want more no. And again the Democrats agreed to only be pushed further. Now you tell me who is compromising and who isn't? You know the last time we had suck a large military spending and a economic disaster in the 40's our leaders did the responsible thing and raised taxes to pay for the war and to get people back to work with projects such as the hover damn and many other programs. If you want to talk about expanding the government let us take a look at agencies that were Republican formed. The one I always find ironic is the EPA. It was founded under Nixon who also started the EPA. More recently we have the TSA and Homeland Security brought to you by no other than the GOP. So lets be honest when who we are talking about when we say so and so is increasing the government. If you look from 1980 and compare military spending to the nation debt they go hand in hand. Yet you man Mitt want to increase spending and do no cutting to it. I might add that the military is part of the government. And tell the millions of military that the government doesn't produce jobs. Last I checked they get their check from uncle sam. Not to mention all the businesses that benefit from those jobs. The difference is not that the GOP doesn't want to spend. The difference is what the two parties want to spend on. I for one would rather spend it on Americans than the military. It's not like we will be invaded. For one no country has the navy to do the job and two even without the military we are the most armed nation in the world. So I would think twice before you claim one party is more credible with spending and fiscal responsibility.

October 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • Corey

I meant the second agency Nixion started was the DEA not the EPA twice.

October 18, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  4. ken99

So many comments. So many bumper-stickers....
    Do your own research. Look at actual, verifiable FACTS not what one party or the other wants you to think about the other guy. The debates mean nothing if you go look at real numbers, each candidates ACTUAL voting record and prior decisions they have made. There is a pretty stark contrast and we all have an important choice to make.

October 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
  5. Welfare Nation

Obama is the best welfare president ever! I give him that. He has made it possible of ANY lazy American that wants to not work, sit at home and leach off our tax payers money with all these gov't handouts, to do so with ease. That Mr. Obama, you have done a great job of doing! That is the only thing you have done besides being a coward, and that is why your days are numbered. Romney is a true leader and will protect this country. ROMNEY 2012!!!

October 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • Tom

Please provide stats/figures/sources for the amount of welfare dished out.

October 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • AUSY12

How do you know he is a great leader. He has not led anything yet. So how do you know, or are you one of those lazy people of whick you speaketh. In your case a little lazy upstairs, if you get my drift.

October 18, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • Davis

Amen to this!!!
      And this author would pick this failure to serve a second term? Please don't take this article seriously. I know Mormons abhor the welfare system this country is destroying itself with. But this clown would continue the support of it.

October 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Anchorite

Insert any name here you don't like. Despite Reagan, Bush, and Bush II being bigger welfare presidents than any Democrat has ever been, you still vote for them because you like tax breaks, since you don't care my children will have to pay for your corporate welfare.

October 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Davis

Google it yourself Tom. Do some work for yourself.

October 18, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • AUSY12

Oh I almost forgot, seeing as I was once a devout Mormon, as a young man, I can honestly state that in addition to being Liars and Cheats, Mormons are also Cowards.

October 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • Tom

Well the point is if you make an accusation, generally you back it up. By being saying it is fact that Mitt Romney is a Nazi doesn't just hold up. Also I have looked over several sites and I can't see any figure which shows a dramatic welfare 'emergency' that Welfare Nation is alluding to.

October 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • Carol

President Obama has been trying to help his nations people, who because of trickle down economics of too many years of Republican administration, were left without jobs oursourced to overseas, and other blunders they have made to increase the 1% sponsers of them. He has had a phenomenal job and did it with logic , good sense, and good people in his administration helping.

October 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • Davis

Go back to CNN and look it up. Even this liberal leaning site reports the facts on welfare. Oh, and today they reported a 46,000 jump in jobless claims. I just gave ya that one.

October 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • Davis

Ausy12 you are posting big stuff on a comment section anonymously. Coward, that's about right buddy.

October 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • ABM

Hey Ausy, you paint with a pretty broad brush don't you? Thanks. Very insightful commentary.

October 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Tom

Again, the point was missed. When you state something, you back it up with facts and figures, none of which were given. http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/23/politics/fact-check-welfare/index.html

October 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Davis

Please, people all over any news blog cite opinions all the time. That's what it's for. You want facts go back to the main page. D-bags.

October 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  6. Chris Ryan

Hard Truth: A Mormon who believes in hard truths is an oxymoron. There are zero factual justifications for the Mormon faith.

October 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • Huebert

There isn't any factual justification for any faith. That is why it is called faith.

October 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • Rob Lapointe

Very true. What sort of Mormon makes millions on tobacco, anyways?

October 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Lionel

You must be a Repubtard attacking this woman for voicing her opinion.

What I say in the debate was no specifics from Romney but leading us back to the same policies of Bush / Cheney.

We do not need another war and do not need to give away trillions more in tax cuts to the super wealthy.

October 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • ABM

Sorry? Which religion (anywhere) does have a factual basis for its faith? Missed it. Would you mind making that distinction for us again...

October 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
  7. tnfreethinker

In 2009, President Obama was handed a country in crisis when he took office. On top of the financial collapse, he had the unfunded wars to contend with. In my opinion, he has done an amazing job, despite the least productive and most obstructive Congress since the Civil War.

Republicans, especially Boehner, have been largely successful in blaming the rapidly rising deficit on Obama’s policies. However, multiple non-partisan studies show that most of the debt is a direct result of the Bush tax cuts, the wars, and the unfunded Medicare drug benefit (kickback for big pharmaceuticals). While almost $5 trillion has been added to the debt during Obama’s presidency, only about $1.5 trillion is the result of Obama’s policies (and half of that is the from the stimulus).

Government spending routinely increases during an economic downturn, which increases the need for government assistance, such as unemployment benefits, welfare, food stamps and Medicaid. With a record 46 million Americans on food stamps, Republicans have dubbed Obama the “food stamp president.” While there are way too many people abusing government assistance, the greater problem is the reason for the need.

While recovery has been slow, we have seen recovery. We have had 31 straight months of job growth in the private sector. The DOW has rebounded, the auto industry has rebounded, and home prices are rebounding. After losing nearly 50,000 factories between 2000-2009, manufacturing is rebounding. Our exports are near record levels , and we are less dependent on foreign oil than we have been in the last 20 years.

We are headed in the right direction. FORWARD.

October 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • AbbiesDad

Thank you. Well said.

October 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • themorningdawn

he was not handed anything. he willingly accepted it knowing what shape it was in after 2 years of a democrat lead house and senate and thought he could fix it. instead he has made it worse. time to give the job to someone who actually knows how to manage money, people, jobs, and take it from the guy who sold drugs and orginzed communities.

October 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
      • tnfreethinker

@themorningdawn, if you believe the financial crisis of 2008 was the result of the prior 2 years policies, you are sadly misinformed. Inform yourself!! There is no excuse for blatant ignorance.

October 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Zarnold

Forward to what? What are the plans? Tax the rich ? Tax the small business owners? Sorry Obama isnt just for taxing millionaires, its also people who make 200k or more. That is the middle class, that is small business owners. Increasing health care costs and record gas prices, yup he has done well alright.

October 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
      • tnfreethinker

Yes, tax the rich, bring the manufacturing jobs back that were lost during GW’s years, invest in infrastructure, education, green energy. Obama’s plan is well known with specifics. Romney’s plan is to go back to policies that created this mess. AT least that’s what Romney said during campaigning, but who knows. This guy clears his etch-a-sketch daily.

October 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Bookenz

A voice of reason, finally.

October 18, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • Get a clue

Pretty sure Obama had a majority in Congress when he came into office and he did nothing except pass a healthcare bill that most Americans do not want.

October 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
      • tnfreethinker

Look again, CLUELESS, Americans are finally starting to actually learn about the healthcare bill even though the details were always available. Something had to be done about healthcare when the US offers below average care for the most cost. And Obama had an economic crisis to deal with, and prevented this country from sinking into another Great Depression. Get a clue!

October 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • bob

Very well stated and I hope that enough Americans vote Obama and do not buy the Romney promises of good times for his friends with lots of money. Romney does not state what he will do to pay down the deficit. His only response to real questions during debates has been "do you want 4 more years of Obama? " My answer is Yes!!!!

October 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • JAIcolorado

Country in crisis; yup. Obama started out with absolutely no experience in running anything; didn't get any better at it over time. Very little verifiable history. A record of non-voting for almost everything. And an outcome of total disaster. Can't blame Bush for the last 4 years results.

October 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
      • tnfreethinker

No, we can blame the obstructionists in the house. Wake up!

October 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • ij

I can't imagine anyone would have wanted to take over as President AFTER Bush. When he left office he left the country in ruin. (Two wars, job losses in the hundreds of thousands each month, financial meltdown, housing Armageddon, auto industry dying, credit crisis, etc.) Can you imagine Obama's first day on the job??? Bush hands you the keys to his disaster and skips away into the sunset... I can't believe McCain or Obama wanted to take over at that point of time. We have a short memory. We came to the brink of total financial meltdown and survived thank goodness. Let's put aside the party differences and focus on working together to fix the country. All this in fighting between the President and congress gets us no where.

October 18, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  8. spartan74

It's reassuring to see that there are people of faith who are still able to think independent of their church and base their political beliefs on facts rather than religious doctrine and conservative propaganda.

Well Done Ms. Brooks.

October 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • ABM

You're right - her beliefs are firmly grounded in liberal propaganda. BIG difference...!!!

October 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • KiminIndy

Amen

October 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
  9. daveinla

Really? this is like the Socialist case for Romney.

October 18, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  10. not2blue

Little does Mrs. Brooks know, but she's about to be become and EX Mormon.

October 18, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  11. buzz

Ann Romney is a Stefford wife/robot/slave to her husband

October 18, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

But Michelle has Moved On Up to the East Side. See how ignorant that sounds when it gets turned around?

October 18, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Rebekah Filson

Thank you for displaying complete ignorance of all LDS women. I believe Joanna would strongly argue against what you said, regardless of her political beliefs.

October 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
  12. tnfreethinker

Obama/Biden 2012

October 18, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • powpow

Tru dat my homie! We be takin tha power back! Obama has dat swagger dis country needs. HOLLA!

October 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • Anchorite

Oh hey powpow, your blackface makeup is coming off a bit around your mouth.

October 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
  13. Bobby

Number of people that can truthfully say "I'm a Mormon, and I'm voting for Obama": Oh, maybe a few hundred.
    Number of people that can truthfully say "I'm a Moron, and I'm voting for Obama.": Millions.

October 18, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Jim

How come so many people named Bobby are idiots ?

October 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • Rob Lapointe

Really deep. brother.

October 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Rick

Bobby, that is mean.

October 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • GetBent

Huh?

October 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • Bode

Why is difficult for people to discuss intelligently withour resorting to crude, cruel and insulting insinuations? Attempting to cram down insults down others ears by the loadful make you seem uncourt and unable to hold your own in a conversation. Talk straight make your points and respect others opinions, afterall, you are not alone in being capable of thinking and making rational decisions, or are you? I'm a Democrat leaning, nonetheless, I have good friends and relatives that are GOPers, does that make them targets of my insults? Just because they have differing opinions from mine. We need to grow up and stop behaving like play-area bullies!

October 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
  14. Roundtownman

Lets face it. This is politics, the article is political, and the author is a being true to her democratic party. Nothing new here. Just another article meant to idce readers readers into believing something other than a party line view.
    To mn: the president had a majority house and senate, he basically had just about whatever he wanted. Welfare is higher than ever and the the national debt is SINKING our future. It is a clear sign that we need a significant change in direction. It also means we need a significant change is political collaboration. The good of our country should be the focal point of all discussions and ultimately all decisions. To mn point, that may mean we need to support the president, whoever that may be, when they are getting things right.

October 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  15. John

I am glad she lives in California where her vote makes no difference.

October 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  16. ABM

Joanna Brooks speaks for less than 1% of Mormons. Too bad CNN won't provide views from a conservative Mormon. Not surprising though... (PS – nice job shilling for Obama, Candy.)

October 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Anchorite

Won't provide a view from conservative Mormons? You do realize they gave Glenn Beck his own column for years? Kind of launched his career?

October 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
  17. Dave

I agree – The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

October 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Anchorite

You're right. Mormons are typically pretty racist and class warfare oriented.

October 18, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  18. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Thank you Ms. Brooks. As the saying goes, united we stand, divided we fall and if we're indeed one nation under God, this is the time for us to come together and unite and help move the country forward. For the past four years the republicans have done nothing but divide this country with their bigotry and racism and their hate for people who don't fit their view of who should be qualified to be American. Mitt Romney had no problem whatsoever throwing 47% of the American people under the bus when he met with his rich friends behind closed doors. Now, he says he cares about 100% of the American people only because he's concerned that his insensitive and disrespectful comment would cost his key votes. But the reality is Romney doesn't care at all about the American people and he will do anything to get in office so he could look after his rich friends.

For the past four years, Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, Todd Akin and the republican party have wage a gender war against women and a class war against the middle class and the poor by slashing domestic programs geared towards getting people out of poverty and strenghtening and growing the economy and the middle class. The republicans like to accuse President Obama of class warfare but when you slash domestic programs that average Americans depend on especially in hard economic times, that is called REVERSE CLASS WARFARE. Furthermore, when you deprieve public employees of their collective bargaining rights, deprieve them of promotions and pay raises they've earned, force them into early retirements and furlough days without pay and force public employees to pay as much as 7% into their pensions, that is called REVERSED CLASS WARFARE. When you take away 5 million dollars of Earned Income Wages from millions of low income working families and slash millions of dollars in domestic funding for nursing homes and funding for dialysis patients across the country and continue the Bush era tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires, thet is called REVERSE CLASS WARFARE.

At the last debate Romney boast that he balanced the budget in Massachusetts and the Salt Lake City Olympic budget successfully. But perhaps someone should tell Mitt Romney that balancing a budget in one state has no parrallels to balancing the budget of the United States government. Furthermore, I doubt Massachusetts inherited an economic crisis and two wars when Romney was Governor. Furthermore, while Romney boasts about balancing a budget in Massachusetts, he's yet to explain why job growth in Massachusetts was a dismal 47th in the country. And if he could grow jobs in one state, one has to wonder how he'd be able to grow jobs in 50 states.

What was further appalling at the last debate was how Romney reaffirmed that he did in fact call for the auto industry to go bankrupt but yet defended his position. However, what Romney don't seem to realize is that when he said he's concerned about creating jobs, the reality is that had the auto industry gone bankrupt, an additional 1.5 million Americans would have been unemployed today. Furthermore, for months on the campaign trail, Romney has been complaining that President Obama's economic policies are not working and that the President is not doing anything to help unemployed and struggling Americans. Then Romney said there are 23 million Americans unemployed and if elected POTUS, he'd create 12 million jobs by end of his first term if elected. Well, what about the remaining 11 million that he'd leave unemployed after his first term? And by the way, I'm sure it would be much easier to create 12 million jobs after the Obama administration has already stabilized the economy and stop the bleeding. And sure enough, it would be much easier creating 12 million jobs when you don't inherit two wars and a divided congress that say their main goal is for the President and the country to fail. And by the way, I'd expect Romney to say that he'd be able to create 23 million jobs given all his so-called business experience and due again to the fact that the free fall economy has already been stabilized.

Obama/Biden 2012 by a LANDSLIDE.

October 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Reload

Great post. Didn't read it. It' way too long. But I know that I disagree with you.

October 18, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
  19. Dave

I know it is really terrible when a state tries to promote family values, work hard, live within your means, etc.

October 18, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • sam stone

depends on your definition of family values

October 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
  20. John F. Hudak

Thanks. I am Catholic, also. But, I will not let the church, Pope or Bishop tell me how to vote. They are unable to keep their own house in order. Yes, their house; the Lord doesn't reside in the unmoral place they have prepared. I have no respect for the Churches moral teachings it needs change.

October 18, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

John, I can't tell if you are indicting the failures within the Episcopate or the teachings of the catechism. I, and certainly no one I know condones the broad range of personal, and human failures who have darkened the Church throughout history, not the least of which in the last two decades. But, if you are actually condemning the teaching of the Church, could you please state the teaching you oppose and the argument against it?

October 18, 2012 at 12:17 pm |