home
RSS
My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama
October 18th, 2012

My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama

Editor's Note: Joanna Brooks is a senior correspondent for ReligionDispatches.org and author of "The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith."

By Joanna Brooks, Special to CNN

(CNN)–There are two moments and two moments only that made my soul sit upright during Tuesday night’s presidential debate:

President Obama, speaking about the loss of manufacturing jobs to low-wage economies like China: “There are some jobs that are not coming back.”

Obama, speaking about four lives lost in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya: “I am the one who has to meet those coffins when they come home.”

Morbid? Not at all. I’m just a believer in the gospel of hard truths.

And as I am the mother of two school-age children, a teacher at an underfunded public university and a progressive Mormon, hard truths about the challenges our nation faces are all that makes sense to me.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred.

As an educator, I have witnessed firsthand how failure to generate responsible levels of public revenue has significantly compromised generations’ worth of investment in our public schools and universities.

And as a Mormon, I grew up with a healthy sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. I was raised, after all, with a religious aversion to debt and a year’s supply of canned wheat, beans and powdered milk in the garage, as instructed by LDS Church leaders. The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community.

Profile of Brooks: Crossing the plains and kicking up dirt, a new Mormon pioneer

This nation is in a difficult season, and I listened carefully Tuesday night for a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. What I heard instead were the usual rhetorical swerves.

Mitt Romney offered personal anecdotes about “binders full of women” that have nothing to do with economic security for American families. He promised allegedly revenue-neutral $5 trillion tax cuts but refused to provide solid details on how he’d balance the books. And he made throwaway references to all people being the “children of the same God” without substantial reflection on how that should translate in terms of budget and policy.

What I really wanted from the debate was more of the hard truths that Obama seemed to be on the verge of saying:

“This recession is fundamentally different than other recessions, and there are no short-term fixes.”

“Our old strategies for managing Middle Eastern conflict through military intervention or propped-up dictators don’t work. And there is no easy way forward.”

“The only thing the $3 trillion Iraq war produced for the United States was a mountain of debt and a legion of disabled Americans.”

“We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.”

“Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

These are the kind of hard truths that speak to the same part of me that took notice when Obama at his inauguration quoted the Scripture: “It is time to put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13: 11).

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And given the challenges we face in bringing down deficits while investing sensibly in the nation’s future, here are some other Scriptures I’d like to hear:

“Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6).

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

Morbid? Not at all. But I do feel a sense of responsibility for keeping an eye on the worst-case scenarios. And a few months’ worth of rice and beans in the garage, like Mormon leaders teach me. And an ear out for the gospel of hard truths.

I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes. And I will vote to give him a second term.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Mitt Romney • Politics

soundoff (2,087 Responses)
  1. CaribbeanQueen

We all ready to blame President Obama, but what you guys keep forgetting is that he took over the White House after a republican President and he left us in debts, is so easy to point fingers at Our President, trully in 4 years you can not fix all the stuff George W. Bush left behind, REPUBLICAN PUT US AMERICAN IN THIS MESS THAT WE IN RIGHT NOW, SO DON'T BLAME OUR PRESIDENT OBAMA. GOVERNOR ROMNEY WILL NOT BE THE RIGHT PERSON TO PUT IN THE WHITE HOUSE. AM ORIGINALLY FROM THE CARIBE, I'M A US CITIZEN AND I SAW BIG CHANGES SINCE PRESIDENT OBAMA TOOK OFFICE, SO YOU CAN'T TELL ME THAT PRESIDENT OBAMA IS NOT CAPABLE FOR A SECOND TERM. HE DESERVE TO FINISH UP WHAT HE STARTED. GOVERNOR ROMNEY CAN COME BACK IN 2016 AND FIGHT FOR THE WHITE HOUSE, BUT 2012 BELONGS TO PRESIDENT OBAMA. YOU GOT MY VOTE PRESIDENT, MAY THE GOD LORD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ALWAYS.

October 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • toad

mormon haters out in force today............typical democratic haters

October 18, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • beezers

You're right, Bush took us from 7 trillon to 10 trillion dollars in debt in eight years. And Obama has taken us from 10 trillion to 16 trillion dollars in debt in four years. That is a significant change.

So, you were saying... what exactly were those things that Bush did that "got us into this mess." In fact, do you even have a clue what started "this mess." Does "housing market bubble" ring a bell? "Lending to people who couldn't afford their mortgages" ring a bell?

It's no use, most Americans aren't bright enough to understand anything beyond political talking points. And Obama thinks we shouldn't worry about low wage low skill jobs... half of Americans unqualified to work in high wage high skill jobs are just SOL, I guess. Well, that's the 47%, and Obama certainly needs to keep those high numbers dependent on government if he wants to win.

October 18, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • Here's a quarter, go buy a clue

@Beezers

Does Iraq or Afghanistan ring any bells for you? Any money spent on the mortgage crisis is a drop in the bucket compared to military spending.

And since you brought it up, whose lax regulations precipitated the housing market bubble to even exist in the first place (hint: rhymes with kush)?

October 18, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  2. Common Sense

Senator John Kerry is a catholic and a former alter boy but most catholic voted for President George Bush. That's what America is all about and distinguishes us from the rest of the world.

October 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  3. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I don't know anything about Mormons but is it possible this woman sees Romney as an individual instead of Mormon who has been corrupted by just plain evil. A person normally doesn't go from one extreme to another without somewhere in the middle when his beliefs and religious teachings comes into check, I don't see that in Mr. Romney.

October 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  4. bob

I rather a Christ loving Mormon than an America Hateing muslim

October 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • yang

then it will be a pretty simple decision if you are ever faced with such a choice.

October 18, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  5. Captain Moroni

Johnna, I don't agree with your view on Romney's reference "that we are all children from the same God" and that he didn't need to say that. He did need to say it because people needed to know and understand that this promised nation was given by the hand of God. Furthermore, the church has asked us not use the church to influence others in political issues. Conversion takes longer for some than others.

October 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • MagicPanties

This nation was "given" by the hand of god?
      Why is it every religious nut thinks that wherever they happened to be born and raised, well gee, that must mean that god made it special.
      This is so narcissistic.
      Get a clue. There is nothing special about you, or about your religion.

October 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Epinoia

I do not believe in a God that lives near the planet/star Kolab. Nor do I believe that God had a father before him.

October 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • toad

"epinoia" where is your god and where did he come from?

October 18, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • ABM

So a liberal democrat mormon is voting for Obama. Shocking.

(PS – Joanna, do you agree with Harry Reid, another lib dem mormon, that Romney has "sullied" his religion? Haven't heard much from Bro. Reid lately, have we? My personal experience is that Lib Dem Mormons are the most intolerant, narrow-minded, conceited, patronizing people I've ever met. Joanna reaffirms that perception. Oh, and what's the deal about being so worried whether readers think she's morbid? Those two sentences made my whole soul sit up straight, and then stand up, and then run away laughing ... and only those two sentences.)

October 18, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
  6. John Scheid

Hi James,

I'm sorry I lost you in my "rhetoric". Too bad you question my understanding of socialism. You fall into the same category of folks whom I rhetorically speaking spoke about who only look at the world from their own point of view and don't recognize the second and third order effects of what they are doing.

How much time have you spent out there in a real socialist state? One that decides everything because the government knows everything and most important what is best for you. How many folks have you met that have actually come from that environment and can recount the horrors of life in which they were supposed to be equal but in reality were oppressed by those who were superior to them because they had the power of the state behind what they did. How many times does the comment caught off guard, "I'll have more flexibility after the election" have to be played before you begin to believe that there really are second and third order effects to putting in Obama for a second term?

You got lost in my rhetoric because like Ms Brooks, you are pre-disposed to believe that we're all in this together and that someone should pay your way instead of you getting out and pulling yourself out of the holes you dig. I prefer to pay my way and help out those whom I can along the way. I've been doing it all my life and think it's the better way than to be told that just because I put myself into a position of being better off than the rest of the 47% that I should do more to help them out. If they want help then stop sitting around collecting welfare without looking for a job. Stop using a free phone that I pay for to make plans to go out and have a good time Friday night and use it to find a job. Stop scheming for ways to make me give you more that you don't have to work for because I chose to work and make something of myself.

I learned along time ago that TANSTAAFL applied to all of us. Don't know what TANSTAAFL is then I suggest Economics 101 is where you need to start your research.

October 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Epinoia

Your materialist view is duly noted. So is your lack of compassion for your fellow human beings who are disabled. You obviously do not believe that you are your "Brother's Keeper", and a child of Cain.

October 18, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • carol

I take offense to the 47% comment. I worked all my life since I was 16 yrs old. I am now on SS due to cancer and fibromyalgia severe depression and the loss of my husband 3 yrs ago. I did not chose to have cancer and by the way I am facing cancer a 2nd time. This time I do not have my husband's ins. I cannot afford chemo or radiation along with all the other bills I am incurring for all the tests. I lost everything when my husband passed away because after 24 yrs he filed a worker's comp claim against his co and was informed by our attorney on a Tuesday that he was being terminated on Friday. The co did not even have the balls to let him know he was being terminated. Lastly he died waiting for medicare which he was 1 month away for eligibility. As a result of the astronomical hospital bills I was forced to file bankruptcy. I sleep on my sons couch all of my belongings are in storage. I literally lost everything. The waiting list for section 8 is 6 to 7 yrs. by then I will be dead. I just wonder how many other people are in the same predicament like Vietnam Vets.

October 18, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • GOP

@Carol

i wish freeloaders like you would just do us all a favor and join their loved ones in heaven. We're tired of paying for your sob storries.

October 18, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  7. Parley

Obama is responsibile for the largest explosion in the size of our debt. Ever. No other president has grown the debt as much as Obama. No other president has run annual deficits as large as Obama (!over $1 trillion for the last year!!). The president has not presented (nor the senate passed) a budget since President Obama took office. And this is the man you are choosing to "put your house in order!?"

I am a Mormon as well, but I voting for Romney not because he is a Mormon, but because of his courage to tell the truth to the american people, and like Martin Luther King Jr. said 'because of the content of his character.'

Every American should watch and read the words of the great American patriot Ezra Taft Benson (former secretary of agriculture). Find him on youtube. Please become informed about the issues we are facing, and what is really at stake.

October 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • MagicPanties

No other president inherited the pile of crap left after 8 years of GOP in charge, where they squandered a huge surplus left by the democrats.
      It takes more than 4 years to undo all the damage done by the republicans in 8 years.
      Get a clue.

October 18, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Mark

@MagicPanties, Democrats took Congress (both houses) in Jan 2007 and maintained until the 2010 midterm elections. The 110th US Congress passed the FY08 budget which ran from 1 Oct 2007-30 Sep 2008 and included spend projections thru 2012. Congressman Obama voted FOR that budget. Even in the next FY, and the next FY, that same Congress that passed the FY08 budget were still in power. Had the 110th US Congress, Democrat led, not passed the FY08 budget, it never would have made it to President Bush for signature. Isn't it fair to say that they have just as much blame since they are the ones who passed the FY08 budget before it was sent to President Bush for signature? My point is, the problem is not limited to one individual or one party. It was how our government, both the Executive Branch and the Legislative Branch, was operating at that time. Therefore, President Obama did inherit the economy. He helped create it.

October 18, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • toad

magic panties.... what was the nations debt in 2000 when bush becme president...and what the hell is does magic panties mean/

October 18, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
    • Patricia

People Should remember always a financial crisis won't be cleared in 4 years specially a recession of this kind. For those who think Obama increased the amount of the debt. If he didn't millions more would be in the turmoil without work. People should understand a little how economy works. you cannot fix a problem of this nature in 4 years it will take long. Once the country economics is steady than you try to do things to reduce the debt. Canada does the same. any economist will do the same. Obama is going in the right way. He deserves a second chance. USA needs a stable economy for that we need a stable politics.

October 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • beezers

Hey magicpanties, when Clinton came to office, the national debt was 4.5 trillion dollars. That number increased for the first seven years of his presidency to 5.8 trillion dollars. Yes, he left a surplus in the budget that lowered the debt his last year to 5.7 trillion dollars. Hm... I don't exactly see how Clinton was any better than any other president who continues to sink us into debt slavery. He just wanted to leave office making you think so much more of him. His last year, by the way, passed a surplus budget under a GOP congress.

Now, as to those horrible 8 years of GOP policies, do you even know what caused the latest recession? Are you an economist? Well, you might want to look into the GOP and DEM policies that created a housing bubble that popped under all that pressure.

October 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
  8. Jerry Lemieux

You might have been impressed by Obama quoting scripture, but if you read James H. Cone's book on Obama's religion, you will see that it is neither Christian nor theology. I tried posting a few quotes from the book which CNN would not publish (naturally). It is funny how Romney's religion is fair game but Obama's isn't.

Got hypocrisy?

October 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

"CNN would not publish (naturally). ... Got hypocrisy?"

Nobody is choosing to publish or not publish your posts. There is a word filter and you have used word fragments like t-it or c-um that violate the filter.

October 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Here's a quarter, go buy a clue

CNN doesn’t moderate this forum. Your quotes had words that are forbidden on this site such as constitution.

October 18, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Jerry Lemieux

For the two insignificant microbes that responded, I understand how filters work. I also understand how your collective brains don't work. I was simply making a point that some of the quotes in Mr. Cone's book will not get published. And this hateful garbage is what our President ascribes to as his basis for being "Christian."

October 18, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • Here's a quarter, go buy a clue

@ Jerry,

Who the hell said anything that could be considered hateful? Both posts were merely pointing out that there is no person screening the posts, and that it is done automatically by filters.

I understand how filters work Clearly you don’t, because if you did you wouldn’t have posted this asinine comment.

I think it’s time for a new tinfoil hat because your current one must have some holes in it.

October 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  9. Reality

Only for the eyes of Joanna Brooks,

For your escape into the world of Rational Thinking:

The Apostles' Creed 2012 (updated by yours truly based on the studies of NT historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven?????

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
    ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (References used are available upon request.)

October 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  10. Kate

Thank you, Joanna, for thinking hard about this election. Many Republicans, and members of your own faith, have made and will continue to make nasty comments here about your opinion and your choice. However, when they say the president has done nothing for this country....it's only because he's made choices they don't like. He's done a lot for this country, but not things that will make them happy because they aren't looking out for anyone but themselves. Greed loves greed...and that's why these people will vote for the man who puts the greediest among us at the top of his list. The other 47% don't matter. I congratulate you for thinking of others.

October 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Dale

Romney gave a very high percentage of his yearly earnings to help poor people. This equates to millions and millions of dollars that will be handled alot better than if it was given to a government to waste. Obama and the american government are very good at wasting money. Can you say SOLANDRA. Stop putting blinders on when things don't support your arguement. To say that he doesn't care is absurd. Please talk about all the facts not just catch phrases that support your idea. Many of these Republicans you talk about that worked hard and made alot of money give alot of money to charities. THEY CARE!!

October 18, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  11. John

This is pathetic. No wonder CNN is in the crapper. Why doesn't CNN go hire Chris Matthews and change your name to the Obama Cheerleading Network. Does CNN do any hard news stories anymore? Does it EVER even attempt to do anything that is remotely close to it's primary job, that being to expose to the citizens what our Gov't is actually doing? How about this topic, CNN. Why don't you explore why under the leadership of Obama and Hillary, our relations with other countries has worsened? Seriously, name one country where our relations have improved (Venezuela doesn't count). between CNN and MSNBC, I can't decide who is worse. I'm Jewish and I'm voting for Romney.

October 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  12. Objective

I think that everyone would benefit from reading the recently published Newsweek cover story, "HIt the Road, Barrack", for reality based perspective.

October 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • John

I think everyone should view this piece from CBS. As shocking that it is that liberal CBS did anything remotely positive about Romney, it sheds far more light on the man than anything CNN has ever done. Go to link: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7405692n&tag=api

October 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  13. Dave40

I am a supporter of the president but I will admit that I have been impressed by Mitt Romney's debating ability. His skills as a debater have even given me reason for pause and reconsider my vote. But when I sit down and really think it through I keep coming back to the fact that he is a member of the Republican Party. A Party whose platform is so divisive and "anti" everything (anti tax increases, anit gay marriage, anti abortion, anti imigration) that even if he seems somewhat reasonable at the debates he is not someone I could vote for. He's a member of the party of mean spiritedness. A party that is so unreasonable, so inflexible and so conniving. And I was a Republican for 30 years...this white, over 50, male plans to ride that donkey all the way to the White House. I sure hope Barack Obama is waiting for me when I get there.

P.S. Great article but Mormons are nuts...just read Krakauer's book, "Under the Banner of Heaven"

October 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • Kellie

Really? Read a book instead of actually visiting the church and learning about it there? Doesn't sound like good advice to me. And who's got the anti rhetoric now? Sounds like you, Dave40.

October 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • toad

"mormions are nuts........." from the party of inclusion.....

October 18, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  14. Elmer

Hard times.. it's going to take a while to fix these "hard times". Things will get fixed and it will take plenty of savy to keep a balance, limiting the pain the average joe/family will have to endure. Unlike some people, I don't hate Romney or Obama. I think both have pro's and con's. In fact, I expect that if there was a world where they could work together (I know...it crazy talk) things would get a lot better.
    Anyway, I'm kind of with Ms Brooks, in that Romney is short on details regarding his plans. Simply declaring taxes will be cut, debt will be paid down and all will be right with the world is great for the campaign trail, but I'm pretty sure we're going to be very disappointed when the "magic" doesn't work a year or two from now.
    There's no "magic", Mitt is a lot of things, but he ain't a wizard. The recovery will take some time. More money, i.e. taxes must be collected, spending has to go down, but in manner that doesn't create great hardship, and on and on. Nothing good is going to happen until our reps start working together again. And frankly, I don't think Romney or Obama can change that. They can only ask the "children" to play nice.
    Stop the hate, we're all in the same boat, if half goes down, the other half is going to follow...

October 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
  15. toad

did i miss the article for Mormons for Romney..........i think not 🙁

October 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
  16. Charissa

Joanna,
    Your perspective resonates with me and mirrors my own thoughts. The President is not one to embellish. He isn't putting forth a plan that is wrapped in a pretty bow – instead, his words consistently reflect the sobor reality of what he has seen over the past four years. Many want to be placated and to hang their hopes on empty promises of any easy fix, but the reality is that our economy, our nation and our world has changed and there are no simple fixes. Thank you for putting on paper somthing that we need to hear and seriously consider as we enter the voting booth in a few weeks.

October 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • ryanwin

Not one to embellish? What about all the unfulfilled promises he made when he ran in 2008? He said he could turn the economy around in 3 years. Was that naive? Was that just a figure of speech? Either he is incompetent or a liar.

October 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • John

Not one to embellish? The poster must be Chris Matthews. What planet do you live on? Obama is the biggest egomaniac this side of Bill Clinton and Richard Nixon. My lord – open your eyes!

October 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  17. RickH

MORE HARD TRUTHS about 'Our Miss Brooks'
    Ms. Brooks accepts Obama's 'same gender marriage' and REJECTS Mormon's "Family Proclamation"
    Ms. Brooks accepts Obama's disrepect / ignorring Israel and REJECTS ORSON HYDE's dedication of Israel for gathering of saints
    Ms. Brooks accepts Obama's 'borrow, print & spend' bankrupt America conspiracy and REJECTS standard budgetng constraints.
    Ms. Brooks accepts Obama's Afghan war without the slightest mention or criticism, doubling American deaths during his presdiency...and rejects the notion Obama should finally be accountable for his presidency...still blaming Bush for mideast woo's.
    Ms. Brooks accepts Obama's abortion rights for women and REJECTS Mormon notion ALL life sacred; no one has right to kill
    Ms. Brooks: I hope your Bishop reads this! You may have difficulty renewing that temple recommend!

October 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • justj

Hey- she did identify herself as a PROGRESSIVE Mormon.

October 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Mark

@justj, "Progressive" implies that something or someone is getting better. I think "wayword" is more appropriate.

October 18, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • josh

Why are you attacking the author just because you disagree with her views? This is one of the big problems we have in this country right now. It is called intolerance and is not far from racism. Stop hating those that have ideas that are not the same as yours. Learn from them, educate yourself about the ideas you have so you can inform others using truth, not lies, hate and fear.

October 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • HHH

If Mr. Romney is elected, wait and see – he will too!

October 18, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  18. El Flaco

Debates should not change anyone's mind. The choice is stark and clear:

Four more years of Barack Obama

or

Four more years of George W. Bush

October 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • lgortman

I'll take 4 more years of GWB anyday of the week! Best President in a long time and I enjoyed serviing under him as my Commander in Chief! ARMY STRONG! Go Mitt 2012, you have this with ease and I'm taking bets like Vegas.

October 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  19. palintwit

At long last ! A reality show teabaggers can call their own ! I'm referring of course to Honey Boo Boo. Typical southern white trailer trash inbreds. Or if you prefer you can call them... republicans !

October 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • toad

from the party of inclusion...........

October 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Chris

Haven't you heard though? Alana Thompson (aka honey boo boo) endorses Obama. 😛
      (FYI, this isn't an anti-Obama post, but rather a call to reason about sweeping assumptions)

October 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • Epinoia

They're some of the least educated in the country, and as such are wide open for the barrage of fallacious reasoning tossed at them by their idols. Their religion brainwashes them, along with their mentally and physically abusive fathers, to always respect authority figures, NO MATTER WHAT.

True Christians, however, are REQUIRED to always choose Logos (Logic/Reason) over Pathos (emotionalism) and Ethos (authoritarianism)

October 18, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  20. linefeeder

This lady needs to run for offie.

October 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • justj

Agreeeeeed.

October 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Chris

And where would she find offie?

October 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm |