home
RSS
My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama
October 18th, 2012

My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama

Editor's Note: Joanna Brooks is a senior correspondent for ReligionDispatches.org and author of "The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith."

By Joanna Brooks, Special to CNN

(CNN)–There are two moments and two moments only that made my soul sit upright during Tuesday night’s presidential debate:

Obama, speaking about four lives lost in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya: “I am the one who has to meet those coffins when they come home.”

Morbid? Not at all. I’m just a believer in the gospel of hard truths.

And as I am the mother of two school-age children, a teacher at an underfunded public university and a progressive Mormon, hard truths about the challenges our nation faces are all that makes sense to me.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred.

As an educator, I have witnessed firsthand how failure to generate responsible levels of public revenue has significantly compromised generations’ worth of investment in our public schools and universities.

And as a Mormon, I grew up with a healthy sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. I was raised, after all, with a religious aversion to debt and a year’s supply of canned wheat, beans and powdered milk in the garage, as instructed by LDS Church leaders. The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community.

Profile of Brooks: Crossing the plains and kicking up dirt, a new Mormon pioneer

This nation is in a difficult season, and I listened carefully Tuesday night for a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. What I heard instead were the usual rhetorical swerves.

Mitt Romney offered personal anecdotes about “binders full of women” that have nothing to do with economic security for American families. He promised allegedly revenue-neutral $5 trillion tax cuts but refused to provide solid details on how he’d balance the books. And he made throwaway references to all people being the “children of the same God” without substantial reflection on how that should translate in terms of budget and policy.

What I really wanted from the debate was more of the hard truths that Obama seemed to be on the verge of saying:

“This recession is fundamentally different than other recessions, and there are no short-term fixes.”

“Our old strategies for managing Middle Eastern conflict through military intervention or propped-up dictators don’t work. And there is no easy way forward.”

“The only thing the $3 trillion Iraq war produced for the United States was a mountain of debt and a legion of disabled Americans.”

“We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.”

“Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

These are the kind of hard truths that speak to the same part of me that took notice when Obama at his inauguration quoted the Scripture: “It is time to put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13: 11).

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And given the challenges we face in bringing down deficits while investing sensibly in the nation’s future, here are some other Scriptures I’d like to hear:

“Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6).

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

Morbid? Not at all. But I do feel a sense of responsibility for keeping an eye on the worst-case scenarios. And a few months’ worth of rice and beans in the garage, like Mormon leaders teach me. And an ear out for the gospel of hard truths.

I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes. And I will vote to give him a second term.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Mitt Romney • Politics

soundoff (2,087 Responses)
  1. K from AZ

it is truely amazing that so-called intelligent Americans could vote for someone whose ideology & goal is to turn America into a "worker's paradise". Lenin, Mao and countless others have tried but, NEVER with any success. Man is basically unrighteous and left to himself will always choose wrong. Comrade Obama is NOT the exception!

October 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • jonathan

Funny because whenever someone comes out with a study about the happiest countries, it always includes the socialist western european countries and Canada

October 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • jordans

obama made it clear some jobs would not come back from china. That is because in china they house their workers behind barbed wire in dorms with 100 people sharing a bath and all wit low pay. The president thinks people who work should not have to live that way, they should work hard and earn what they get. This little halucination your having may require medication.

October 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  2. Rob-Texas

Seems you were only listening to what you wanted to hear. I find it is that way with allot of people. Every time I listen to one of the candidates, I try to set aside my views and listen to what the candidate is saying, and whey they say they will do. I thought both offered good points. In the end, I felt that Obama fell short of expliaining how. The answers were not there, with lots of rehtoric. On both sides for sure. To say that Mitt just hap hazardly said "I believe we are all children of the same God.", seems that you were hearing things the way you wanted to hear them. To me it was not just an off the cuff comment. If you put 100 people in a room with a speaker, each one will have a different view of how things went. I am glad you are voting and personally believe you are making the right choice. Its your right as an American Citizen. I am not suprised your article is on CNN.

October 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  3. breezy

it couldnt be any more simple – if you arent super wealthy you should be voting for obama. there is nothing else that matters

October 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • Rob-Texas

What a short sided lack of thinking on your part.

October 18, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  4. Alger Dave

She may be the only one...

October 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
  5. Rainer Braendlein

Happiness for the whole people, the whole America

"As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred", Mrs. Brooks said.

We have the same problem in Germany. Many voters of today are pensioners or will be pensioners soon. Hence, politicans have to make sure that they fulfill the wishes of the pensioners in order to get their votes again. And, of course, every Dollar which you use for the pensioner's wealth you cannot use anymore for the education of the children. This is the harsh reality.

This problem is a structural problem of democracy because assumed Mr. Obama would reduce the funds for the pensioners he would not get elected again.

Hence, this problem can only be solved by a monarch, and that is what the US needs right now and also Europe.

We need a pious, faithful monarch like Frederic the Great, King of Pruzzia, Promoter of Enlightenment or a man like Benjamin Franklin, who doesn't consider the demands of any special group but the wealth or happiness of the whole people.

So, dear Americans, seek for a righteous, virtuous man from your midst, make him your ruler, and your problems will be solved in the twinkling of an eye.

October 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • STOP MURDER OF CHILDREN , Human be aware of hindu filthy dog's of hindu Atheism, self center ism , DENIAL OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD.

Here comes a wanabe hindu gentile, filthy slave of hindu criminal King. get lost child of Lucifer,

October 18, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  6. nathan

Unfortunately for America not many people listen towhat is actually being said and its implications like the author. I believe Romney will win this election because he is a salesman and most Americans have too short an attention span to hear what is being said. I don't mean "Binder" or "Big Bird". The comments the author pulled from Tuesday's debate speak volumns about the diffrence in these two men. It also speaks volumns about the direction they will take us. I firmly believe that Romney is the political version of the Trojan Horse. The disparity in quality of live will grow further apart for the wealthy and the rest of us. Go help us if he is elected.

October 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • Sheila Robbins

Since all reporting seems to be one sided, I thought I would bring your attention to the article in US Weekly. It discusses the cost of the dresses. Some would think that Mrs. Romney's dress would cost more but this is not the case. Nor, is this disparity reported due to the bias of news reporting agencies.

The cost of the dresses might have had some sticker shock when they saw a headline yesterday breaking the news that Ann Romney's debate-night dress retails for $1,690. But it turns out Michelle Obama's debate ensemble cost twice as much.

The US Weekly piece went on to report this, but somehow the Obama outfit pricetag was not mentioned in the headline.
      That headline read: "Ann Romney Wears $1,690 Oscar de la Renta Dress to Presidential Debate" The announcement might have fit well with President Obama's references during that debate to the Romney family's enormous wealth. The president joked at one point that he doesn't look at his own pension, because it's not as big as Romney's. But both families, it turns out, can afford very nice clothes. While Ann Romney was sporting a "short-sleeved crimped cotton silk dress by Oscar de la Renta," that is not yet in stores, as US Weekly reported, the first lady was wearing a "hot pink" outfit of her own - that together cost $3,290. "Obama, 48, styled a shift dress and cropped jacket from Michael Kors' 2013 resort collection. The dress retails for $1,795 and the jacket is $1,495," the magazine reported.

Romeny donated more money in one year than some would hope to make in a lifetime. The percent donated (vs. income) exceeds Obama's. Don't think Obama is not wealthy; he just harps on those that make more than he does.... maybe he is just jealous.

October 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Uneducated middle class voters

If Romney gets voted in it will no doubt be by many of the uneducated and quite frankly racist side regardless of economic status. If those on the short end of the economic disparity want to vote him in, I will become more and more desensitized to the "plight" of the middle class. If candidates could tell it like it is, they'd be completely honest in that many of those looking for work are seeking that $35 hr factory or union job that no longer exists. 23 million are going to remain unemployed because they simply don't have skills and don't want to be retrained or get a degree that is in demand. This country has had the luxury of looking for "jobs you like" for many years. Those days are over. Life is hard.

October 18, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  7. Sarah

Supporting Romney or not, Mormons are celebrating this "Mormon moment" as a time when their true story is finally being brought to light. Media treatment of Mormonism during this campaign has focused on misconceptions the religion has faced over the years since its inception 180 years ago and Mormon guests and contributors in the press have celebrated the fact that their faith is being drawn into the mainstream with the Romney candidacy.

This story about a Mormon who is not supporting the Mormon candidate does not begin to address the fundamental problem with electing an LDS president. There has been very little investigation in the media of the tenets of Mormonism that may create an inherent conflict between being a Mormon and being a political representative. Any church member who is granted access to a Mormon temple must take an oath to obey a living prophet and follow the instructions he decrees. They must acknowledge that "failure to sustain those in authority is incompatible with service in the temple."

This matters. Think what you will about Mormon culture, but Romney has taken an oath to follow the instructions of a living man whom he believes to be god's spokesperson. Surely we can't allow those instructions to determine our national policy.

For more:

October 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm |

Sarah word is derive from Latin word Se, Sa, means dry Ra, Re means river, Sarah means dry river, lady of bad luck in Pharisee, corruption of GAWD, ignorant of Hindu goon.

October 18, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • Tawanda

You misunderstand. Romney's policies need not, and indeed have not, reflected the teachings of the LDS Church in the past.

October 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • newt

You are actually extremely misinformed, friend. Mormons do not swear an oath to follow any man. We are only promise to follow God. We are encouraged to think for ourselves, and if one disagrees, sure, there are those who will look down on that person. But that is true with all groups of people. Look at how Joanna Brooks is treated. Some Mormons embrace her, and some don't. She isn't on my list of most favorite people ever (because I think there are a lot of "truths" she teaches that just are not true... and maybe that is a product of being a mormon in Utah?). BUT, I respect that she has a voice and is using it in the attempt to make things better for people.

October 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • newt

AND, though I don't agree with a lot of her views, I absolutely would be proud to have someone like Ms. Brooks as a part of my congregation. Peace.

October 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
    • Sarah

For Newt-

Actually, looks like you ARE committed to follow the instructions of the prophet and other general authorities if you have a temple recommend.

From LDS.org:

"You must sustain the General Authorities and local authorities of the Church. When you raise your arm to the square when these leaders’ names are presented, you signify that you will sustain them in their responsibilities and in the counsel they give you.

God has called prophets, seers, and revelators, and others as General Authorities. It is a commitment that you will follow the instructions that come from the presiding officers of the Church."

Whoops. Maybe its you who's misinformed. Hope for your sake you've been obeying the prophet even though you didn't know you had to.

October 18, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • newt

(yawn)
      Sarah,
      You are correct in that a member who holds a recommend commits to sustain the prophet and other church leaders. However, nowhere in any church doctrine does it say that we must blindly follow anyone like mindless sheep or puppets. Isn't that what you are trying to get? That Mormons must blindly follow and never question? We are taught that God is perfect, but that the prophet and other church leaders are human beings, and as such, they are subject to human mistakes. We are taught to take everything to God and seek our own answers. Yes, I sustain the prophet, AS LONG AS HE IS ACTING IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE WILL OF GOD. So far, I haven't witnessed the prophet say or do anything that would lead me to believe he isn't following God. If that ever happens, I will question. If that ever happens, I seriously doubt that I will be the only one questioning. Again, I refer you to the work Ms. Brooks is doing here. Though I do not agree with much of her ideals, she is reaching out and is trying to find answers to her questions. I have yet to find any church authority speaking out against Ms. Brooks, and from what I understand, she is still a member of the church in good standing.

October 18, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
    • zapper

Newt wrote: "Yes, I sustain the prophet, AS LONG AS HE IS ACTING IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE WILL OF GOD. So far, I haven't witnessed the prophet say or do anything that would lead me to believe he isn't following God."

How convenient that your "prophet" is doing everything right. I'm sure you are the best of judges....

October 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  8. Rainer Braendlein

"President Obama, speaking about the loss of manufacturing jobs to low-wage economies like China: “There are some jobs that are not coming back.”", Mrs. Brook said.

What about that?

This is even wanted by American leaders of national economy. Goods shall be produced where they can be produced most cheaply. It is only that America has to render a counter performance in order to be able to buy this goods. And this is, of course, the sector of high technology. But this causes a very high pressure for the American children to become scientists and engineers and the like who can design the high technology.

Better America would produce its simple goods itself, because than also the labourers had jobs, and their would be less pressure on the youth to get a very high education.

October 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
  9. ABM

Joanna,

If Pres. Obama has worked steadily and patiently (through such a uniquely difficult season...waaaaaaaah!!!), then where is the improvement? In anything?

Seriously, beyond realizing some jobs are gone forever (wait, what?) and meeting coffins, what are your real reasons for voting to give this guy a second term?

(PS- why do Lib Dem Mormons see themselves as so Precious?)

October 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • jordans

Where is your disdain for the guy that shoved whole country and economy into a bottomless pit? So sorry this guy cant pull us out all at once especially when from day one the Rep party voiced their goal of making sure he got nothing through congress so they could win back the presidency. Obama tried to his detriment the first two years to work with them, his own party got sick of him for doing it. All the slack in the world for the economy destroyer and none for someone willing to take it on with one party willing to destoy the country for their own gain. GWB was stunned about the economic collapse on Sept 18 2008 when he was told if he did not pass stimulus we would have no econmy the following Monday. Both he and candidate Mcain had been touting the strong economy in the run up to the election. We are a fast fix society but in some cases it just can't happen that way.

October 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • ;p;

You're stuck in one special-snowflake way of seeing things, we get it.

October 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  10. gfromchicago

Believing in a god is what will destroy this country.

October 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • The Truth

belief in nothing is better than belief in falsehoods and lies.

October 18, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
  11. Sarah

For more: http://open.salon.com/blog/sjr/2012/10/17/mitt_romney_is_a_good_mormon_and_why_that_should_worry_you

October 18, 2012 at 2:26 pm |

hindu Gentile, ignorant slave, stupid goon Sar Ra, denier of truth absolute ALLAH.

October 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • Really?

@Sarah,

Your scare tactics are rubbish. Your fear is unwarranted and your paranoia is showing. Does Harry Ried take secret orders from church leaders too? YES, Mormans are out to RULE the world! Lock up your children!

October 18, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • IDSpud

Conservatives are often castigated for being into conspiracy theories. Sarah, do you actually believe that Pres. Monson has a direct line to Harry Reid telling him what to do as leader of the Senate? More than any church, the LDS church is pretty strict about being politically nuetral. The same way that the Pope didn't dictate policy to Pres. Kennedy, neither will the LDS Prophet do so with Mitt or any other LDS politician.

October 18, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Sarah

H,i Really? and ID Spud.

Don't take it from me. LDS.org puta it more clearly with this quote from their website:

God has called prophets, seers, and revelators, and others as General Authorities. It is a commitment that you will follow the instructions that come from the presiding officers of the Church. Likewise you should feel loyalty toward the bishop and stake president and other Church leaders. Failure to sustain those in authority is incompatible with service in the temple."

So no, no direct phone line. Just principles that say if you don't follow the instructions that come from the presiding officers of the church you can't go the the temple.

October 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • newt

Sarah, what exactly is your point? You think President Monson is trying to take over America? Or maybe he is trying to take over the world! Yeah....

Try actually going to a Mormon church and learning about Mormons from actual Mormons. You might find out that you are wrong about a few things.

October 18, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
    • Sarah

Hey there Newt.

Born and raised a Mormon. Spent enough hours in a Mormon church to know what I'm talking about.

October 19, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  12. d50

Hey CNN; you going to do a "Evangelical Christians for Romney" article? Do you even realize what a joke you have become? Seriously, you have lost ALL credibility as a news source.

October 18, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • The Truth

I wasn't aware the Belief "Blog" was a souce for "News" or ever claimed to be.

October 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • ;p;

It's an opinion blog, dumbass

October 18, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
  13. tysonf

"progressive Mormon"..... does anyone know what that is? Isn't a Mormon a Mormon? I've looked up Brookes and see that she is married to a non-member. That's fine. She's also a feminist. That's fine. She's voting for Obama. That's fine. Why does she identify herself as a "progressive" mormon.

Isn't that like a Protestand being a "progressive" Catholic?

October 18, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Rob-Texas

So they can post her article on CNN of course!

October 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  14. beth

Mormons believe that Lucifer was Jesus brother, they don't believe in the Holy spirit, They believe Jesus was a mortal man...women are taught to be submissive- Joseph Smith taught that the celestial kingdom itself is subdivided into three "heavens or degrees" Only those individuals who are sealed in celestial marriage to a spouse in a temple while alive (or after death by proxy) will be permitted to enter into the highest degree of celestial kingdom. These individuals will eventually become "exalted" and will be permitted to live "the kind of life God lives" as literal gods and goddesses, as Doctrine and Covenants 132 explains. The nature of the other two degrees within the Celestial Kingdom have not been described, except to say that the people who go there will become "ministering angels". This religion is a cult- Mormons should ask the Deacons and Bishops to actually write down for them-how women will give birth to gods for eternity ( how fun is that- eternal birthing..fun times. People wake up!!- this is a cult- just like Scientology. Read the last verse of the bible- thou shall not add anything For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: Mormonism is a made up religion.

October 18, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • ABM

So what?

October 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • Really?

@Beth

am Mormon and just had a good laugh at your attempt to summarize Mormon doctrine. I would say about 60% of your regurgitation was either completly wrong, or half correct. Not to mention, your arguments are weak and feeble minded.
      Oh, and by the way....ALL regions are "made up" by man, so what's your point? You're obviously a misinformed bigot. Try not to hate other people choices so much. You'll live longer.

October 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • St. Clement of Alexandria

@beth

Nothing in what you said was true about Mormons.

October 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • MormonCandidate dot com

Yep... Mitt Romney is a Mormon... That is the deciding factor in this election. Do you want a black man, or a mor man?

October 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • Bret

Revelations was written before other parts of the bible. How do you reconcile that with your comments? I'm amazed at how affended people are by the idea that God - all loving and the Father of mankind - would continue to guide and speak to his children as he did in the past. As has been said before, assuming he does not speak to us through prophets today, it is either 1) because he cannot, 2) because he doesn't want to or 3) because he doesn't care.

October 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • jonathan

Please explain which of those things aren't Mormon doctrine. Most of the things she says are in fact doctrine. I know that's not what you want people to learn first about lds doctrine, but that doesn't make it untrue.

October 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • IDSpud

@Jonathan. Why don't you simply go to lds.org and read up on the doctrine. To respond directly to Beth's half-truths and distortions would simply take too long.

October 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  15. Majesty Rider

Thanks but I still think Mormonism is a cult.

October 18, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  16. Jen

Bezzer....I grew up in Utah going to the Mormon church.....I did not say that calling oneself a pastor is not in the articles of faith what I said was I have never in all my years of going to a Mormon church ever heard of anyone in the leadership referred to as a pastor....so did Mitt Romney feel he had to say he was a pastor..not a bishop which is the same as a pastor???

October 18, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • beezers

Um, so his calling himself a "pastor" is your reason for not voting for him? That's wonderful. Go back to Utah... or you could go anywhere else in the country and get to know some real Mormons who don't care if you call him a pastor or a bishop. If you're ever in Wisconsin, you're welcome to come visit my ward and you can sit down with our "pastor." Personally, if a politician didn't use a word that related to a larger portion of the populution, I'd question his intelligence.

October 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • Tanner

It's a good question, actually, one that most people would totally overlook. The reason is that most people think of "bishop" in the Catholic sense, who would lead a diocese, which is a much larger unit than a Mormon ward. "Pastor" is another term used in the Bible corresponding to a Mormon bishop which would make a more accurate correlation in the minds of most Americans.

October 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • ;p;

Nothing but misleading crap comes out of the guy's mouth, this is just one more thing to try and make himself more palatable to the public at large. Guy will say anything to get elected, he doesn't even know what he really thinks anymore.

October 18, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
    • Greg

How about clarity of communications -- most people would have a better realistic understanding of "pastor" than "bishop" -- ditto for congregation vs ward -- . I think it is an exercise in being aware of culture.

October 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  17. Scott W

Joanna – You're smarter than this. All you're doing here is throwing up (I meant "placing" but "regurgitating" works, too.) a bunch of worn out superficial, strawman arguments that you know don't hold water. Seriously, "binders full of women" and "$5 Trillion Tax cuts". I wouldn't expect that from a sincere, or simply thoughtful intellectual, let alone an LDS one. You know that there is substantial detail and meaning behind those "throwaway" references. Pandering to a rabid democrat base and trying to sway less than serious voters by trying to tie your throwaway references to the Mormon Church/doctrine with completely irrelevant references to food storage. Unbelievable, to me that you'd quote Malachi and Kings – implying somehow that Obama and his minions in Congress have demonstrated any regard for preparedness? for the future? I've respected/defended some of your work in the past but this is pretty weak sauce. I have a hard time believing many Mormons are going to be moved by this – but that wasn't really the intention was it?

October 18, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • The Truth

Scotty angry. Scotty no likely. Scotty gonna cry because someone with the same religion see's their candidate for what he is, a shill for the religious right movement that is destroying America. Poor baby... boo hooo. Obama will win in November and Romney will be a comedy scetch on SNL for a few months then disapear and good riddence.

October 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • Really?

@Scott W.

You hit the nail on the head! This article (propaganda) is rubbish.

October 18, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  18. buzz

Iif heaven were a religious and place of demonations we'd all be in trouble, there would be everlasting life Thank God it's not, there are no denominations in heaven=morman etc

October 18, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  19. ThePragmatist dot org

WE NEED TO SOLVE THE NATIONAL DEBT CRISIS... and after watching the second debate I know how to do it! Sell tickets to a Pay-Per-View boxing match between Obama and Romney. Who wouldn't pay $1,000, $10,000, $100,000 to see that. Sad thing is, that would probably be more productive than listening to all the "malarkie" that comes out of both candidates mouths.

October 18, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  20. Tziggy

Joanna, you inspire me I share your values. I am a Roman Catholic, but, I follow my conscience. I am a first generation immigrant from Africa. When I became a United States of America citizen, I went to register for an affiliation to a party. But, I had no idea the different party's values, so I asked my husband, an American by birth. This was what he said: "I asked my father the same question before registering to vote, and, he said: NO REPUBLICAN President ever did anything good for the poor person." Over the years, I concluded my late father in law was right.

October 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • ThePragmatist dot org

Your late father in law could have gone back to the very first Republican... Abraham Lincoln, and think about what your life would be like in the US without him.

October 18, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • ThePragmatist dot org

The Republican and Democrat Parties are both filled with good people who care about their country. Both have good ideas... at different times... what we need is a president with pragmatic solutions, not partisan talking points.

October 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Germanicus

Seriously, Would Abraham Lincoln be a Republican today?
      He was against overly strong states rights, He criticized the dehumanizing of minorities, He didn't go to church and belonged to no religion (though he believed in god.) and was the guy who started the Federal income tax.

Starting in 1964, many of the core beliefs of both parties began a steady trend of switching places. No serious historian believes Lincoln were he alive today would be a Republican. Regardless of the Branding of "the party of Lincoln."

October 18, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • beezers

Germanicus, you're hilarious... "no serious historian"... well, I'm a serious historian and I believe that if Lincoln were alive today, he'd be a really pasty old white guy... and most of those guys are Republicans today.

In all seriousness, though, to try and debate whether someone in the past would be a Democrat or Republican today... that's a discussion no serious.. or intelligent historian would ever try participate in. If you think Obama and JFK ("ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country) can be equally compared, you are one mistaken individual.

October 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm |