home
RSS
My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama
October 18th, 2012

My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama

Editor's Note: Joanna Brooks is a senior correspondent for ReligionDispatches.org and author of "The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith."

By Joanna Brooks, Special to CNN

(CNN)–There are two moments and two moments only that made my soul sit upright during Tuesday night’s presidential debate:

President Obama, speaking about the loss of manufacturing jobs to low-wage economies like China: “There are some jobs that are not coming back.”

Obama, speaking about four lives lost in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya: “I am the one who has to meet those coffins when they come home.”

Morbid? Not at all. I’m just a believer in the gospel of hard truths.

And as I am the mother of two school-age children, a teacher at an underfunded public university and a progressive Mormon, hard truths about the challenges our nation faces are all that makes sense to me.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred.

As an educator, I have witnessed firsthand how failure to generate responsible levels of public revenue has significantly compromised generations’ worth of investment in our public schools and universities.

And as a Mormon, I grew up with a healthy sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. I was raised, after all, with a religious aversion to debt and a year’s supply of canned wheat, beans and powdered milk in the garage, as instructed by LDS Church leaders. The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community.

Profile of Brooks: Crossing the plains and kicking up dirt, a new Mormon pioneer

This nation is in a difficult season, and I listened carefully Tuesday night for a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. What I heard instead were the usual rhetorical swerves.

Mitt Romney offered personal anecdotes about “binders full of women” that have nothing to do with economic security for American families. He promised allegedly revenue-neutral $5 trillion tax cuts but refused to provide solid details on how he’d balance the books. And he made throwaway references to all people being the “children of the same God” without substantial reflection on how that should translate in terms of budget and policy.

What I really wanted from the debate was more of the hard truths that Obama seemed to be on the verge of saying:

“This recession is fundamentally different than other recessions, and there are no short-term fixes.”

“Our old strategies for managing Middle Eastern conflict through military intervention or propped-up dictators don’t work. And there is no easy way forward.”

“The only thing the $3 trillion Iraq war produced for the United States was a mountain of debt and a legion of disabled Americans.”

“We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.”

“Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

These are the kind of hard truths that speak to the same part of me that took notice when Obama at his inauguration quoted the Scripture: “It is time to put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13: 11).

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And given the challenges we face in bringing down deficits while investing sensibly in the nation’s future, here are some other Scriptures I’d like to hear:

“Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6).

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

Morbid? Not at all. But I do feel a sense of responsibility for keeping an eye on the worst-case scenarios. And a few months’ worth of rice and beans in the garage, like Mormon leaders teach me. And an ear out for the gospel of hard truths.

I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes. And I will vote to give him a second term.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Mitt Romney • Politics

soundoff (2,087 Responses)
  1. Russ

I wonder if the percentage of Mormons voting Obama
    is roughly the same as
    the percentage of African Americans voting for Romney...

October 18, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • Mogo

I seriously doubt it. Romney is such a horrible candidate that I expect most people to support Obama regardless of their personal hang-ups.
      Time to wake up, son. Going through life with a chip on your shoulder isn't going to help you figure things out.

October 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • Russ

@ Mogo: son? chip? how about some facts instead of rhetoric?
      Here's what I just found on Gallup... (as I suspected)

Mormons: 84% Romney; 13% Obama

African Americans (roughly, I'm avg their gender separated numbers): 88% Obama; 5% Romney

October 18, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • John

Mormons voting for Romney is more like 99.9999%

October 18, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  2. buzz

Genesis 6:5: The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.

Mark 10:21Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Luke 16:14The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus.

John 8:42: Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me.

Proverbs 22:9: The generous will themselves be blessed, for they share their food with the poor

Matthew 5:3: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:9: Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

ughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.

October 18, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
    • pockets

I wanted so much for Obama to start punching Romney in the face, over and over and over. I have come to hate Romney much more than I thought possible, and its his arrogrance that has done it. His dis-respect fot the Presidency told me alot, if he shows that kind of contempt for the President of the United States of America ,Barack Obama, then what do you think he will do with the American people. Not hard to figure out is it.

October 18, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  3. Randy

Well, I am Mormon too. So what? Most of those of my faith, to what I have been able to observe, will be voting for Gov. Romney. This is because most of us are conservative, not because of his faith. Harry Reid is LDS, too – but I couldn't support him with his current views (and lack of morals, IMO). Joanna just goes to proove that more than faith defines us and that we can still love each other even with opposing views. Just saying...

October 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • jonathan

Please tell me what morals Harry Reid lacks that Mitt possesses

October 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Well for one Mitt has not made any comments regarding Harry Reid's status as a "good Mormon"

October 18, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
    • John

I'm a Mormon, I'm conservative, and I'm voting for President Obama because I believe in freedom.

October 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • John

I'm a LDS, I'm conservative, and I'm voting for President Obama because I believe in freedom.

October 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  4. Tim

Ms. Brooks, thank goodness your views will be of no consequence this election, or they would guarantee for you all that you want to avoid. You are concerned about the percentage spent on educating the young. But percentages don't matter when the whole pot is draining fast. Fix the pot, then begin to fill it, and THEN we'll talk percentages. 5% of a very large number can be much better than 50% of a very small number. You are myopically wooed by percentages, and thus you miss the larger point.

October 18, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
  5. buzz

Romney created jobs in China and India meaning those are the kind of jobs he brag about creating, those type of jobs pay slave wages and they certainly don't have health insurance. He said he like firing people that's on tape too, but he will say I didn't say that. He became successful by closing manufacturing plants thoughout the country by way of firing american workers and he outsourced the jobs overseas to China, India and who knows where else. That is not creating jobs for the American people.

October 18, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • Jakson

Funny, because Pres. Obama created jobs in other countries with the stimulus money (read: taxpayer money). Just one example is $500 million in loan guarantees to Fisker Automotive to produce cars in Finland. Nice.

October 18, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  6. Confused

What is a Progressive Mormon? The principles and ideals of Obama are in direct contrast in so many ways to the beliefs of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. ( i.e. free agency, failing is a part of learning and is essential to progress individually, abortion, gay marriage, etc.)

October 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • jonathan

you are confused. The first belief you espouse is "free agency" but you don't want people to be free to choose abortion, gay marriage, etc.

Sorry but mormon doctrine does not say we should let people go hungry or sick. More importantly, Jesus never taught that

October 18, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  7. Joyce

There are plenty of educated people who are unemployed or under employed. Investing more in education will only increase these numbers; we can't afford over educated poor people – we need jobs.

Supply follows demand, not the other way around. The more educated people we put in the market does not create more jobs. Sure, some of them will start businesses, but realistically, not everyone has the drive and insight to run a business.

October 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • klur

Well, it would have helped if you were a little more educated. The US is lacking people with a better education to fill skilled technical jobs.

October 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • Vash

Supply/demand- it depends on what kind of education you are referring to. There are jobs that cannot be filled because the right skills are in short supply. Obama is talking about education that would fill these jobs, through emphasis on science and technology. Joyce seems to be talking about degrees in fields like literature or history. I mean no disrespect for those fields- I respect those graduates highly on an intellectual level-, but they don't satisfy the needs for a technologically qualified workforce, which is what we need now. So in a way you are correct- we don't need to put out college graduates that don't have necessary skills, but we have a great need for American kids with knowledge of math, science, and current technology. That is exactly what Obama is trying to promote. There are jobs around the private industry, if you care to look.

October 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  8. c heinze

I'm 100% in agreement Joanna.
    My vote goes to Obama for all the reasons you stated.

October 18, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  9. John

Hard truths do matter:

Obama promised to lower the unemployment rate in 36 months or he would not run for re-election. It wasn't lower, and he's running for re-election.

Obama promised to cut the deficit in half. It has skyrocketed.

Obama said that he and Eric Holder did not create "Fast and Furious" but that it was a holdover from Bush's term. Bush's program was call "Wide Receiver" and it was shelved two years before Obama took office.

Obama promised that with the passage of Obamacare, insurance premiums would go down. They've gone up.

Yes, hard truths matter. As a candidate for President and as the President, Obama can't stop lying and deceiving people. He trashes Romney's numbers on taxes, but offers none of his own. Why not? "RAISE TAXES ON THE RICH!" he says, but how much will he take in?

Obama is a liar. Truth matters. He won't get my vote.

October 18, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • ;p;

What a bunch of boo-hoo rhetoric. Stop acting like the guy quit boning you for someone with a bigger dick

October 18, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • klur

You can not be such a fool that you thought the depression created under Bush's series of deregulations and tax cuts would be rectified so easily. It is unrealistic to think that the economy would get back on track in 3 years. Obama has not been perfect but he has slowly been working to turn around the train wreck created by the Republicans. And, please, don't even talk about lieing. Romney has reversed gears on practically every issue between the primaries and his campaign for the presidency- abortion, education, contraception, foreign policy, taxes, etc....

October 18, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
    • Twins1994

Well stated....and good use of facts. Something the liberals have a hard time warping their arms around. Easier to lie and make up sound bites.

October 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • ABM

Sure, but didn't YOUR soul sit up straight when Obama said (or appeared on the verge of staying) stuff?

October 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • Jakson

To Klur: Who do you think was the fool who "thought the depression created under Bush's series of deregulations and tax cuts would be rectified so easily"? Obama made the promises, didn't he? Who's the fool?

October 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  10. Billy

Yeah, I am sure Obama's love of abortion will throw us right into that curse.

October 18, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • James Thompson

What parties policies have lowered abortion rates? Guess what, it's not the Republicans. You want the government out of your life but want them to control other peoples lives? If you care about children then support education, support contraception, support the mother and the child, push to subsidize the adoption process.... Abortion is a wedge issue that has allowed the Republicans to hijack an entire religion.

October 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Billy

James,

Republican shave made many good programs. Do you know one of the states with the lowest abortion rates....UTAH!!! Coincidentally where the Mormons reside to a great number, and strongly Republican.

October 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • James Thompson

Billy,
      You make a good point. If you want to change society then do it socially. Take your own advice and don't rely on the government to dictate your morality. Utah's low abortion rate has more to do with the social acceptability of it than the laws dictating it. Also I wonder what the neighboring states abortion rates look like? If you must legislate it then first I want to see you legislate options. Don't let politicians rule you with wedge issues.

October 18, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
    • Billy

I agree with the Republicans on many issues, and the Libertarians with other issues. I could care less if someone lights up a joint.

I'll just continue to support changing over to a priority voting system, that way we can break the two party nonsense.

October 18, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • James Thompson

BTW I oppose abortion. That is why I support any Democratic policy which would lower the numbers of people who rely on it. I support contraception coverage. I support education. I support planned parenthoods efforts to give free contraception and health care for women. I support helping single mothers and children of low income families. I support any legislation that would facilitate adoption.

October 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • Mikey

@Billy...and your point is? Texas has one of the highest abortion rates in the US. The reddest of the red states....

October 18, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  11. kelly

very well written.

October 18, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • ABM

yes, and that's what really matters here...beautiful speeches and prose will save our country

October 18, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • ;p;

@ABM – who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

October 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • Bret

I have noticed this is a very divided election down party lines. If you are a Democrat then Obama can do no wrong, and if you're a Republican, Romney can do no wrong. So I am guessing you are a Democrat, since you thought the story was well written. Both sides are so thick headed these days that neither can get anything done. If we are going to come out of this recession, we are going to have to make hard decisions. We need the rich peoples money one way or another to start the economy, but do we rip it from them in taxes and watch them seek for loopholes to keep their money, or do we work with them and make them want to use it to help themselves, and others. It's funny how both sides say the other doesn't have a plan. Have you been listening to anything out there lately. Both parties have specific plans, just the Republican plan requires a little more faith that people will respond the way Romney is hoping they will respond. Obama wants to care for everyone but will never be able to raise enough money in taxes to do so. I believe people of faith and good works should be Voting with Romney, those who don't want to offend other people and try to make sure the poor and middle class have everything the rich have, should be Voting for Obama. One more thing, instead of changing the definition of marriage, just change the definition of Man and Woman. That way marriage can still be between a man and a woman, just one person in the relationship would just have to change his or her gender definition. Just about as dumb as changing the definition of marriage. Think about it.

October 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  12. Mike

Some of what Joanna said also struck me as too "soft" or touchy-feely for many peoples' tastes. But you know what: in taking it all in I heard a quiet but determined and essentially pragmatic person explaining that she's quite conservative when it comes right down to it and, by the way, she thinks shouting punditries won't get it done. She doesn't sound like she believes Obama is necessarily "the absolute best person for the job" but that he seems to work in a way much closer to recognizing the realities that she sees and with the touch in his approach that is closer to what she identifies with than does Mitt Romney (or the Republican party). As for myself, I guess I largely agree with her, but I also was happy just to see someone express a desire to see a sensitive AND practical approach to the profound issues facing the US. I hope she's right (enough) about Obama.

October 18, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  13. daknife

Joanna your logic simply does not work. You criticize the 3 trillion in debt from the wars, you cite your concern about the debts your children and grand children will have to pay off, yet you stand by the president who has spent us further into debt during his 3.5 years than all the previous presidents combined, he's more than doubled what Bush did during eight years of much more expensive warfare than what Obama has had running.

Right or wrong the wars were during the Bush years, Romney didn't have a thing to do with them and he, like many true fiscal conservatives (remember Bush was a Neo-Con) were appalled at how badly spending flew out of control during those years of a strong economy. But Obama came into a struggling economy and has spent more, faster. Your faith has nothing to do with this, your inability to think logically is very key. We simply cannot afford another four years of run away spending. Romney knows how to balance a budget, he knows how to make the tough financial decisions, and he can do it very well, for every steel mill Bain shut down (after trying for a decade to keep it profitable and open) there is a Staples inc, or a Home Depot. Do some real research, don't just parrot the party line.

October 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Bermille

And yet Romney wants to create more wars, he wants to have McCain be his defense adivsor. That means he wants to be a war monger.

October 18, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • mwriters

Daknife,
      What you don't understand is that the success of Staples and Home Depot did *not* create jobs, they destroyed them. As Romney, an MBA, and everyone who has taken introductory college economics understands, creating monopolistic or oligopolistic markets–which is what Bain did in promoting the success of these huge nationwide chains, thus putting out of business tens of thousands of truly small, family hardware and office supply businesses–actually results in *fewer* jobs at lower wages than existed in the businesses that were destroyed.

October 18, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • Phineas

True, more debt has been added to the US total debt during the current Administration than any other. But suppose, that we had instead cut an equal amount of spending from total outlays in each of the last 4 years? What would our economy look like now? Federal outlays pay for programs, and that money ultimately funnels into the hands of private citizens. Every military plane built, every welfare check, every Pell Grant.

Tell me which $1.3 trillion dollars would you have cut? And be specific. Keep in mind the entire Dept. of Education spends around $70 billion. Medicaid is $270 billion. Medicare $485 billion. Cut all that and you're half way there.

October 18, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • mwriters

Daknife,
      Whatever way you cut it, Romney's work at Bain eliminated, not created jobs. See these articles at these sources, which aren't exactly noted for being liberal! Just as I said previously, if you look at the overall picture, Romney's Bain bankrupted thousands of small family business by propping up Staples and Home Depot. And created an overall job loss in the thousands to tens of thousands.

October 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • RF Beischer

Try a math check. Going from 11 trillion to 16 trillion is horrible, it is not however a doubling. Not being able to cancel the ridiculous Bush tax cuts may have a great deal to due with the debt issue. 17 out of 24 of Romney's foreign policy advisers are from the Bush years, that's comforting. And unless you reject math and open-eyed logic, the Ryan plan combined with an increase in defense spending (already the world's largest by a factor of 2) will drastically increase the debt. You do not have to like Obama, if you can name one candidate who kept all their election promises please let me know. Romney was about profit and his ego without regard to the fallout. His Olympic balanced budget was after a 2 billion dollar state and federal bailout, he left Mass with a 1.2 billion dollar debt. Both situations were probably beyond his control. So why does he still lie about them? Do you really want that in your president?

October 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  14. Marjorie

I watched Ann Romney on the VIEW show today. She loves her husband that is crystal clear, but she has no clue as to the catastrophic direction her husband wants to take this county to gratify his misguided ego.

October 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • ABM

Funny, that's EXACTLY the same thing I thought after watching Michelle Obama on the Show the other day.

October 18, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • amazing55

How come the Obama's got mostly "warm & fuzzy" feel good kind of questions directed at them while on the View, but Ann Romney had to defend herself and her husband 90% of the time?
      Ann Romney was very truthful and genuine in her responses, she will make a wonderful first lady – Go ANN!!

October 18, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • ;p;

Probably because Ann's job is mostly sitting around being rich and trying to look pretty

October 18, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

What is Michelle's? Planning vacations?

October 18, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • ;p;

@Bill ...defending Ann, huh? don't tell me you're going to suck Romney's dick on election day – you post like a big flaming Catholic and voting for the cult bishop is going to piss off your god

October 18, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  15. St. Clement of Alexandria

I am a Mormon and an independent who voted for Obama in 2008 who will surely be voting for Romney (not because we share a religious affiliation, but because after weighing the issues, I think he is the clear best candidate for the job).

Nonetheless, I respect and appreciate Sister Brooks and her viewpoints. I don't really agree with her (indeed, I think several of the arguments posited are clear strawmen), but I respect her charisma and thoughtful character as a fellow American and a fellow Mormon Christian nonetheless.

October 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  16. ABM

I think what Joanna is trying to say is this:

Mormons who truly believe in being prepared for a worst-case scenario should vote for Obama.

Agreed.

(Those kids are really lucky to have you as a teacher, Joanna. You're so smart.)

October 18, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • amazing55

Love this!

October 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • daknife

No, Mormons who desire to see a worst case scenario should vote for Obama. But don't be concerned, Joanna represents a very small minority of the LDS Faith. Most of us, simply cannot see how one can support a party that takes the moral stances the Democratic party does. We don't say she can't be a faithful member and be a liberal, we just don't see how she can claim to be one and support the party and it's platform.

October 18, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • amazing55

daknife – EXACTLY what I meant....
      If we want to see the worst case scenario – another 4 years under the misguidance of President Obama(and his also very inexperienced advisors) will land us there without a doubt!

October 18, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • James Thompson

Anyone, Mormon or otherwise who can, with a clear conscience, call the Republican party the "moral" party, is just lying to themselves.

October 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • ;p;

You smug dipshits are adorable.

October 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  17. Barack

Joanna:
    You are deluded and naive. I forgive you.

October 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • ;p;

Most religious people are

No one needs your forgiveness

October 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • Deb

Well she is a Teacher, they are almost always a Democrat and since the majority of Teachers graduated, got a degree then a teaching job they have never been in the real world to mature and understand anything.

October 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • ;p;

@Deb – that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

October 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  18. Marine Christian Anti Socialism

Why can't Americans get the truth from CNN? They have a socialism anti Christian anti Military Agenda who would rather give up every Americans rights as long as it doesn't affect them or illegal immigrants. What ever happened to people being responsible for themselves in good and wrong. Another words social responsibility with when you break the law you go to jail, you choose not to work you lose you stay poor, but if you do chose to work you are up to your ability and initiative. I'm not rich, in fact I've served this country at a minimal pay, willing to give up my life if need be, but now I chose to say no longer with Obama and this socialist anti Christian movement. If you want this way of life get off your tail and fight for this country for low pay and no respect. Things do need to improve, but not at the cost of becoming socialist in a non-Christian nation. What did our founding fathers fight for, it wasn't this.

October 18, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Barack

Amen, you are completely correct my friend.

October 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • midwest rail

" socialist anti-Christian movement. " Um, no.

October 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • James Thompson

So is Obama the Corporate shill you call him one week or the Socialist Pig you call him now? No really I want to know.

October 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • DLP-CA

Between CNN, MSNBC, CBS and ABC news, Saturday Night Live might get a little jealous about people laughing more at the news than at a real comedy show.

The stupid and silly things these stations try and shove down people's throats is ridiculous. I guess if you have most of the news networks in your pockets like Obama does, they'll risk their own journalistic credit by running huge stories about binders, big bird and god knows what else just to deflect people from focusing on the poor job Obama has done while at the same time trying to make people who have no common sense to vote again for Obama.

Why can't people wake up and think for themselves. We do not moderators from any of these channels trying to coach Obama during a debate or leave clues for him so he can try to stay close to Romney.

I voted for Obama 4 years ago and where is this nation now. It is really that simple, if you don't do the job, we the people have the power to replace you with someone else.

Obama may not have a future as a security consultant but the lecture tour may fair well for him.

October 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • ;p;

Faux News is there for you in your time of need.

October 18, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • 1010101010

Hey. Do you know anything about Jesus. If Jesus was here today he would have been a socialist you ignorant facist.

October 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Paul

This is a "blogs.cnn.com" site... this person's individual opinion, not CNN News. They seem to have editorials on both sides of the issues, but even if they don't, these should not be confused with "actual News".

October 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  19. unblvble

SO WHAT? Who Cares to whom you are going to vote?

October 18, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Ridge

Bermille, what are you basing that on, b/c he's republican? I never got the sense that Mitt has been pushing any kind of war efforts.

October 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  20. Dewhitt Bingham

OMG where are the Joanna Brooks' of the world?! Virtuous woman!

October 18, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • Markie

They're stuck in binders.

October 18, 2012 at 2:53 pm |