home
RSS
My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama
October 18th, 2012

My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama

Editor's Note: Joanna Brooks is a senior correspondent for ReligionDispatches.org and author of "The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith."

By Joanna Brooks, Special to CNN

(CNN)–There are two moments and two moments only that made my soul sit upright during Tuesday night’s presidential debate:

President Obama, speaking about the loss of manufacturing jobs to low-wage economies like China: “There are some jobs that are not coming back.”

Obama, speaking about four lives lost in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya: “I am the one who has to meet those coffins when they come home.”

Morbid? Not at all. I’m just a believer in the gospel of hard truths.

And as I am the mother of two school-age children, a teacher at an underfunded public university and a progressive Mormon, hard truths about the challenges our nation faces are all that makes sense to me.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred.

As an educator, I have witnessed firsthand how failure to generate responsible levels of public revenue has significantly compromised generations’ worth of investment in our public schools and universities.

And as a Mormon, I grew up with a healthy sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. I was raised, after all, with a religious aversion to debt and a year’s supply of canned wheat, beans and powdered milk in the garage, as instructed by LDS Church leaders. The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community.

Profile of Brooks: Crossing the plains and kicking up dirt, a new Mormon pioneer

This nation is in a difficult season, and I listened carefully Tuesday night for a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. What I heard instead were the usual rhetorical swerves.

Mitt Romney offered personal anecdotes about “binders full of women” that have nothing to do with economic security for American families. He promised allegedly revenue-neutral $5 trillion tax cuts but refused to provide solid details on how he’d balance the books. And he made throwaway references to all people being the “children of the same God” without substantial reflection on how that should translate in terms of budget and policy.

What I really wanted from the debate was more of the hard truths that Obama seemed to be on the verge of saying:

“This recession is fundamentally different than other recessions, and there are no short-term fixes.”

“Our old strategies for managing Middle Eastern conflict through military intervention or propped-up dictators don’t work. And there is no easy way forward.”

“The only thing the $3 trillion Iraq war produced for the United States was a mountain of debt and a legion of disabled Americans.”

“We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.”

“Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

These are the kind of hard truths that speak to the same part of me that took notice when Obama at his inauguration quoted the Scripture: “It is time to put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13: 11).

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And given the challenges we face in bringing down deficits while investing sensibly in the nation’s future, here are some other Scriptures I’d like to hear:

“Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6).

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

Morbid? Not at all. But I do feel a sense of responsibility for keeping an eye on the worst-case scenarios. And a few months’ worth of rice and beans in the garage, like Mormon leaders teach me. And an ear out for the gospel of hard truths.

I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes. And I will vote to give him a second term.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Mitt Romney • Politics

soundoff (2,087 Responses)
  1. Judge Much?

Bravo, Joanna, bravo.
    Obama found that you can't fix 8+ years of stupid in 4 years and he was up-front about that in his 2008 campaign.
    If Romney wins, he won't be able to fix it in 4 years, either, even though he naively believes he can. It'll be "Bushness" as usual.

October 18, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

I wish that Obama would come right out and say that during a debate. That would make a great tag line.

October 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Rick

"if I don’t have this done in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition." - Barack Obama, 2009.
      President Obama was upfront about it, all right. He set the very standard by which he should be judged.

October 18, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  2. Brian

Joanna Brooks, you aint no mormon. If you were, you wouldn't be supporting a radical islamist president.

Romney/Ryan 2012

October 18, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Phineas

Brian, kindly get new parts for your head.

October 18, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • STOP MURDER OF CHILDREN , Human be aware of hindu filthy dog's of hindu Atheism, self center ism , DENIAL OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD.

You must be in hind, love with Muslim's.

October 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  3. Vince

I'm Republican and I'm voting for Obama. I was going to vote for Romney but I listen to too much NPR so I actually know the facts. He's kind of terrifying. He's a true politician - do whatever it takes to get what he wants, fame, money, influence.

October 18, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • SAM246

Vince, What about Mirror-Man, I love myself I should be a star Obama.
      Wasn't for gay marriage, now is!! Ran out to CA to dedicate Chaves statue. Now would you say that Mr. O is saying and doing anything for votes??

With Obama, it's all about him and his star!!!

October 18, 2012 at 3:24 pm |

Pharisee, a pseudo Jew, self centered.

October 18, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Brian

Hahaha and you want us to believe you? You sound like any other lib to me...

October 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Phineas

Vince, it was kind of slim pickings for presidential candidates for your Party this year. Did you have anyone you'd like to see run who didn't, or did someone run that you liked who wasn't nominated?

October 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Joe

You are so full of it! I don't know a single republican that would vote for Obama! He is a socialist bordering on a Marxist Dictator. I know plenty of Democrats that won't be voting for Obama, but not the other way around this time. Not after seeing what a mess he has left this country in. Fannie and Freddie were the biggest causes of this recession and they were the democrats fault! No matter how you slice it, Bush had nothing to do with the Mortgage Mess. Say thank you to Barney the Madam Franks for that one! And for all of those too young to know. He was a democrat!

October 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • CA Conservative

Wow Vince, there's never been a clearer contrast in philosophy and you're voting for Obama? Not sure how you could be a Republican and not recognize O's desire to turn our country upside down into Euro-socialism. Sad. Too many don't recognize and appreciate what our founding fathers gave us. Kind of like spoiled children who don't appreciate their toys.

October 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • OneTruth

Joe. Marxist dictator!! Do you have examples to support your ridiculous claim.

October 18, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Veritas

Joe. The mortgage crisis was not caused by Freddie, Fannie, or Franks. Freddie and Fannie did get involved later on but that was caused by Goldmann, Deutche, etc. speculating and then lenders providing loans to people who they knew couldn't afford the mortgage in order to feed the speculation.

October 18, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  4. Honey Badger Dont Care

What I took from this article is that she is a progressive (good for her) and her religion has no bearing on the decision that she has made to vote for President Obama.

Keep religion out of politics and keep religion out of schools!

October 18, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  5. PassengerInThisLife

I am with you. Mitt Romney is a dangerous person. He would say anything to get your vote. But I do NOT believe he works for the majority of Americans. I do believe he protects the very rich. His immediate response toward Capital Gain Tax was very clear on this.

Over the years, I gradually build a feeling that there is a class of population in the USA who do not care about the poor or the not-so-rich class. As long as they build richness for themselves, they would care less about the nation or the society.

I hope this great nation does not turn into what is described in Luke 16: "The Rich Man and Lazarus".

October 18, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Franky

I do believe Mitt will say anything to get elected but I don't believe he is a dangerous person and I'm a staunch liberal and democrat. My concern is most importantly the GOP. I think their world view is archaic and is not the way forward but more importantly during Obama's presidency they were all to willing to put party ahead of country. We hate the Affordable Care Act, why, It was a republican plan from the 90's? Obama supports it so I must hate it, the mandate , republican idea, Obama supports it , so I must hate it. Their hate of Obama fundamentally brought congress to a stand still and that is dangerous for the American people. When a party says it's number 1 priority is to see the President fail people should take pause. They didn't say it was to create jobs, spur the economy, heck it even wasn't to implement core Republican ideals ... it was to see the president fail. Not my words, but the Mitch McConoughs and he isn't even one of the extreme republicans. I fear this party in power they have all to often led us down the path of disaster, the GOP 150 years ago were the progressive , today they have become the party of intolerance , bigotry, and lack any resemblence of fiscal responsibility.

October 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  6. Todd

FYI – She is NOT a mormon. She was raised but is no longer affliated with the CHurch in any way. People are always looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

October 18, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • Phineas

I'm sure you'll be kind enough to share with us the credentials you have to make that judgement for her.

October 18, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • ;p;

yeah, the moment someone disagrees with the hive mind, they're 'not a real Mormon'. Whatever

October 18, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • Brian

Yes i agree. She is a fool and will be shocked on Nov 6.

October 18, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • Todd

Here it is....

October 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • CA Conservative

She's Mormon, her husband is Jewish, and they're raising their children in both faiths. Yeah, that seems workable.

October 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Phineas

Todd, it would be accurate to say she's not affiliated with the church, but not so to say she's not a Mormon. It would seem she still retains core church beliefs.

October 18, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  7. Phineas

One thing I've very curious about and have thus far been unable to find a good answer: how charitable are Mormons generally toward non-Mormons. I hear a lot about Mormons helping Mormons, but not a lot about them being charitable toward non-Mormons. If anyone has a good source for that information, I'd appreciate it.

October 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Todd

Mormons are one of the most charitable organizations in the world. Check out these links

October 18, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • CA Conservative

LDS Charities is driven PURELY by donations from its members. Tens of millions of dollars, literally, are raised annually from members of the LDS faith and spent on emergency relief, wheelchairs, clean water, and other needs around the world. The LDS church partners with hundreds of other charities– strong partnership with Unicef, Red Cross, Islamic Relief, Catholic Charities, etc. You can read more here: http://ldscharities.org/?lang=eng

October 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Phineas

Thank you both for a point in the right direction. I appreciate it.

October 18, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Jack

October 18, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • JusticeIsNonexistent

Check out Wikipedia, they have pretty good list of the Mormon humanitarian services. Most Christians give to their church who in turn provide those funds to people in need. In my church (non-Mormon), members of the church in need can request assistance and receive it, but funds also go to people outside the church. Some approach the elders on their own and request assistance, others are helped through outreaches during disasters and still more are helped through organizations like those for battered women, groups that provide assistance with utilities, food, clothing, etc.

October 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • Carrie

Joseph Smith himself taught that we are "to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all."

Then this explains way he wants to get rid of the healthcare law, right?
      There's people in the U.S. that are hungry so his answer it to cut food stamps and make fun of these people.
      Widow, well give them a voucher for healthcare.
      I respect his right to his own religion but , but how is he squaring this with what Joseph Smith said himself.

October 18, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • gabycha15

I lived in Switzerland for 4 months and it would have been the hardest 4 months of my life had it not been for a neighbor who showed me what being selfless really means. Since she did not know that I also spoke English, she began leaving magazines, toys, and sweets for my daughters at our doorstep. You have no idea how these little things made each one of my lonely days. Then she realized that I spoke English after a failed French introduction and we instantly became good friends. I was very depressed before and during our stay in Switzerland and I needed to go to a therapist but I did not have anyone to help me with my girls. I was ashamed of what I was going through at that time and she offered to babysit my two girls while I went to the "osteopath". This woman was always so happy, so positive and even though she did not know about my depression, she helped me get over it just by being awesome. We usually had picnics with our kids and lunch at our homes, and we talked about everything except about religion. I could tell that she was a believer, but I've never really cared about that type of conversation. So to make this lame story short, two weeks before we came back to the US I invited her and her family over for a fancy dinner at our place just to say thanks for everything. That night when I offered her and her husband some wine they explained that they did not drink and her daughter said Mormons don't drink. This was the first Mormon family I ever met, and they broke all my prejudice against them. My dear friend was not the weird self righteous bigot we expect Mormons to be. I've kept in touch with this awesome woman and when the Mormon missionaries knocked at my door at my Missouri home I could just not say no to their visit. I let them know that I was not interested on their church, but I just liked them. I broke my foot shortly after that and when they visited me again they asked if they could do anything for me. I of course refused...I did not want to owe a favor. But like three days later when I woke up all the leaves of my front yard were picked up, I asked my neighbors if they had anything to do with that and after a couple knocks at their doors, one of them told me that she saw two young men doing that job. The missionaries did not come back as I had asked them and I never got to thank them. So answering to your question. By personal experience I can tell you that Mormons do help other people in spite of their religious affiliation. Maybe we should learn more about their culture so we can figure out how to be as happy as they are

October 18, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Phineas

Gabycha15, I don't think your story is lame at all; I think it should serve as an inspiration to all of us, not because the woman who helped was Mormon, but because she helped you because you were in need. Similarly, when I was very young and on a car trip with my parents to the upper Midwest from Los Angeles, my father's car broke down. I was too young to remember, but he told me that the small town we broke down in Utah was nothing buy Mormons who did all they could to help my parents, no questions asked. I appreciate that type of person, regardless of their faith. Thank you for sharing.

And again–thanks to all who responded to my question about the Mormon church's charitable reach.

October 18, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  8. John Sowa

David Stockman, who was Reagan's budget director, showed exactly why Romney is trying to hide his financial details. Bain Capital made their money on "windfalls collected from gambling in markets that were rigged to rise." They never created any jobs. They manipulated the market, lied to investors, loaded companies with debt, and sold out just before they collapsed. For details, just Google "stockman romney".

October 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Phineas

Dave Stockman has a lot of interesting things to say these days, but when you mention he was Reagan's budget director, you also should mention he was fired as same...

October 18, 2012 at 3:17 pm |

He is Monsanto boy.

October 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  9. Utahn

I will be glad to tell you that 95% of Mormons will vote for Mitt Romney because he represents their values. Just because there are a few liberals out there does not represent the view of the whole. CNN is always reaching to look for anti-Romney news, even from very unknown sources. Like it or not, Romney is the face of Mormonism, and Senator Reid and even Joanna Brooks are definitely not...

October 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • John Sowa

Please read what David Stockman said before you attribute any Mormon values to Mitt Romney, He's a con man, who represents the worst of the worst of Wall Street.

October 18, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
  10. CA Conservative

So Joanna's a liberal Mormon. Not easy since the LDS church is conservative. I guess she figures she knows more than her prophet regarding Prop 8? Maybe abortion isn't a big deal to her? Even though her church teaches her our country was spared to be found for religious freedom and "restore the gospel", yet she's OK with the Dem party removing God from their platform, and from everything else they can? I'm surprised she still claims to be a Mormon. Give her a few more years to get offended by someone in her church and drop out. THERE'S a real understanding of Christ's teachings.

October 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • Phineas

Like it or not, this is a secular nation. I have no problem with "In God We Trust" on our coins, but neither would I have a problem with removing it. As for party platforms, I have no problem with the absence of God from those, either. God is better off left in homes and churches than in politics.

October 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Tom

Approximately 25% of Mormons identify themselves as liberal or progressive. Ever hear of Harry Reid? Yes, he's a Mormon.

October 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • CA Conservative

What world do you live in Tom? I know hundreds of LDS people and 5% are liberal Democrats. The LDS church's beliefs do NOT go along with liberal thinking, just like most Christian faiths imo.

October 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  11. HawaiianBoi89

Why would Romney say what he's going to do? So obama can copy? I love how people try to speak for Obama, and try to say things like,"Obama was about to say this" or,"What Obama really ment was this". If that was what he really ment, why didnt he just say it?

October 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • ;p;

Better not to say stuff than to rattle off a bunch of nonsense like Romney often does

Guy would lie about his own name if it wasn't printed on banners behind him

October 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Ob@ma2012

It is like John Stewart said about Romney: " I know how to make money and create jobs, but I won´t tell you unless you vote for me". In other words, romney says if you don´t vote for him, he wishes you get $crewed.

October 18, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  12. Rob-Texas

We can bicker all we want. Here is the facts. On election day, the people who are unemployed with get up early and vote out the sitting president, unless you are FDR. Obama is no FDR. FDR was elected to 4 terms and people wanted to make him king. That is why we now have presidental term limits. It wasn't just the New Deal, people felt comfertable with him. He did not polorize people. I think you should start getting used to the words President Romney.

October 18, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • Phineas

Rob, and when Gov. Romney loses, what will your excuse be?

October 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  13. ABM

A Lib Dem Public School Teacher in CA (who happens to be Mormon) is voting for Obama.

Did I mention the Mormon part?

October 18, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • SAM246

A black Morman I suspect!!

October 18, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • ;p;

Just because your reading comprehension is lacking doesn't mean ours is

October 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  14. SAM246

Hey Joanna,
    If Obama states anything about the Morman faith, Jeremiah Wright returns with the gd America line.

Now lets see, which is worst??? Your turn Joanna!!

October 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  15. AgentProvoca

Mr. Reality: most people reading this blog think that a more apt screen name for you would be Mr. Imbecile. They just don't understand that you're actually a genius.

We need to prevent those Mormons from infiltrating the government. Every single one of them is a danger to this country. Unlike you, they're extremists I tell you.

Yikes! It's too late! Turns out you can't just worry that Romney is a Mormon advocate for the interests of the fanatic Republican conservatives. The fanatic Democrat liberals already have their own Mormon infiltrator to advocate their causes - Senate majority leader Harry Reid.

Yeah, Harry Reid badmouths Romney at every opportunity. But God forbid that Republican and Democrat politicians start cooperating a little once Romney is elected president. American's are increasingly convinced that Romney has what it takes to fix the economy. Who knows where that could lead. Obama certainly didn't lead effectively, and his bogus CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN era comes to an end on November 6. We're doomed.

October 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  16. Jerry Lemieux

@Here's a quarter, go buy a clue:

Here are some quotes from Mr. James H. Cone's book on Liberation Theology of the kind that Obama ascribes to:

"Whïteness ïs the symböl öf the Äntï-chrïst."

"The göäl öf bläck theölögy ïs the destructïön öf everythïng whïte, sö thät bläcks cän be lïberäted fröm älïen göds."

"The bläck experïence ïs the feelïng öne häs when ättäckïng the enemy öf bläck humänïty by thröwïng ä Mölötöv cöcktäïl ïntö ä whïte-öwned buïldïng änd wätchïng ït gö up ïn flämes. We knöw, öf cöurse, thät gettïng rïd öf evïl täkes sömethïng möre thän burnïng döwn buïldïngs, but öne must stärt sömewhere."

"Bläck theölögy seeks tö änälyze the sätänïc näture öf whïteness änd by döïng sö prepäre äll nönwhïtes för revölutïönäry äctïön."

"We häve reäched öur lïmït öf töleränce, änd ïf ït meäns deäth wïth dïgnïty ör lïfe wïth humïlïätïön we wïll chööse the förmer. Änd ïf thät ïs the chöïce, we wïll täke söme hönkïes wïth us."

"Tö be bläck ïs tö be cömmïtted tö deströyïng everythïng thïs cöuntry löves änd ädöres."

October 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • OneTruth

Please provide evidence that Obama subscribes to this view.

October 18, 2012 at 3:14 pm |

There are no hindrance, race but one race of humanity, brother's and sister's, proven by Quantum physics, divided by hindu magi's, criminal in to races by color, way of hindu's criminals to deny humanity their equality.

October 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Jerry Lemieux

Öh, änd by thë wäy, I'm ä cömplëtë rëtärd, töö.

October 18, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  17. jj

Well reasoned. Just because you belong to a religion doesn't mean that you have to vote for people of the same religion.

October 18, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • Michael - Son of Adam

Exactly. Most people go a long with their church folk or political party because they're too lazy, stupid, or ignorant to pay attention to what is going on or being said. Being a member of any faith is not going to protect you from making grave errors, tiny errors, or any errors at all. It will most often only make you feel like a sheep if you fail to pay attention and actually make a conscious, intelligent, informed choice.

October 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  18. jerry

I noticed here on CNNs election courner it's all about Romney oposition. Good try CNN, you rig the debate and support obama at every turn...and you are losing anyhow. We American's are not as stupid as you think we are. But you do appeal to the ignorant left wingers...and they deserve you.

October 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm |

hindu, cry baby.

October 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • YOUR NEW HINDU DAD

HEY

TELL YOUR MOM TO MAKE SURE DINNER IS READY ON TIME WHEN I GET HOME OR I'LL SHOW YOU BOTH THE BACK OF MY BIG HINDU HAND

October 18, 2012 at 3:09 pm |

hinduism, absurdity of a hindu, ignorant.

October 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • 1010101010

Jerry: LEARN TO SPELL!

October 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Apostrophe Fail

"We American's are not as stupid..."

You may or may not be stupid. I don't know, as I've never met you. However, you incorrectly used an apostrophe in your rant. The plural of "American" is "Americans," not "American's" as you wrote.

October 18, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • YOUR NEW HINDU DAD

DON'T TALK BACK TO ME BOY

ALTHOUGH I'M NEVER SURE IF YOU ARE OR NOT SINCE YOU DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH

October 18, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • David

Funny how the left wingers are the ones driving this economy. Look at the places that produce the least amount of GDP in the US and they are all conservative states. And the few that contribute anything is because of oil. No inovation no carrying us into the future. It is time we redo the electoral college and base it on GDP your state provides. I am tired of listening to these free loading states thinking they have a say, when they are the ones s*cking on the federal teet the most.

October 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Ob@ma2012

You call left leaners "ignorant", but look again at the map and see that all the ignorant people actually vote Republican. Look at all the red states – texas, alabama, mississippi, georgia, all retrograde states that either support or defended segregation, deny women´s rights, civil rights, etc...

October 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Phineas

David,

What about biomed in North Carolina, technology in Florida, auto manufacturing in Tennessee and Mississippi?

Your point is well-taken, but surely you realize that the American South isn't the stereotype?

October 18, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  19. nonMormon

I think what Joanna said is the messages from Obama is more realistic than the empty promises from Romney. All I heard is promises but no real tangible facts to support Romney vision. Oh well, the American memory and vision always short sighted anyhow.

October 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • Pinewalker

good thing we have 4 years of BS burned into our brain now

October 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • ;p;

Pinewalker will eventually have something to add that's more meaningful than what rolls down his leg when he doesn't wipe properly

October 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Undecided, but leaning right

I do not know how anyone can talk about broken or unfulfilled promises and not frown at Obama. How many promises did he make while campaining 4 years ago that he has not completed? I understand that there are party related challenges, but they face every president and Obama himslef that if he could not deliver on many of those promises that he did not deserve a second term. I don't know that we have seem enough improvement these past years to give Obama a second term, even though I voted for him last time.

October 18, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  20. amazing55

...the above intended for ;p;

October 18, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • ;p;

I know, I know, the reply link is so hard to use

At least you didn't turn my screen name into another fucking stupid smiley face this time. Tomorrow we'll work on colors and shapes!

October 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm |