home
RSS
My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama
October 18th, 2012

My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama

Editor's Note: Joanna Brooks is a senior correspondent for ReligionDispatches.org and author of "The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith."

By Joanna Brooks, Special to CNN

(CNN)–There are two moments and two moments only that made my soul sit upright during Tuesday night’s presidential debate:

President Obama, speaking about the loss of manufacturing jobs to low-wage economies like China: “There are some jobs that are not coming back.”

Obama, speaking about four lives lost in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya: “I am the one who has to meet those coffins when they come home.”

Morbid? Not at all. I’m just a believer in the gospel of hard truths.

And as I am the mother of two school-age children, a teacher at an underfunded public university and a progressive Mormon, hard truths about the challenges our nation faces are all that makes sense to me.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred.

As an educator, I have witnessed firsthand how failure to generate responsible levels of public revenue has significantly compromised generations’ worth of investment in our public schools and universities.

And as a Mormon, I grew up with a healthy sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. I was raised, after all, with a religious aversion to debt and a year’s supply of canned wheat, beans and powdered milk in the garage, as instructed by LDS Church leaders. The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community.

Profile of Brooks: Crossing the plains and kicking up dirt, a new Mormon pioneer

This nation is in a difficult season, and I listened carefully Tuesday night for a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. What I heard instead were the usual rhetorical swerves.

Mitt Romney offered personal anecdotes about “binders full of women” that have nothing to do with economic security for American families. He promised allegedly revenue-neutral $5 trillion tax cuts but refused to provide solid details on how he’d balance the books. And he made throwaway references to all people being the “children of the same God” without substantial reflection on how that should translate in terms of budget and policy.

What I really wanted from the debate was more of the hard truths that Obama seemed to be on the verge of saying:

“This recession is fundamentally different than other recessions, and there are no short-term fixes.”

“Our old strategies for managing Middle Eastern conflict through military intervention or propped-up dictators don’t work. And there is no easy way forward.”

“The only thing the $3 trillion Iraq war produced for the United States was a mountain of debt and a legion of disabled Americans.”

“We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.”

“Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

These are the kind of hard truths that speak to the same part of me that took notice when Obama at his inauguration quoted the Scripture: “It is time to put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13: 11).

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And given the challenges we face in bringing down deficits while investing sensibly in the nation’s future, here are some other Scriptures I’d like to hear:

“Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6).

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

Morbid? Not at all. But I do feel a sense of responsibility for keeping an eye on the worst-case scenarios. And a few months’ worth of rice and beans in the garage, like Mormon leaders teach me. And an ear out for the gospel of hard truths.

I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes. And I will vote to give him a second term.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Mitt Romney • Politics

soundoff (2,087 Responses)
  1. Dansf

Is this author a Democrat? I'll bet that she is. The fact that she is a Mormon has nothing to do with anything. It's just a trick to make her sound more credible and is totally irrelevant.

October 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  2. Dansf

Why didn't the author say which political party she belongs to and who she voted for during the last election? She is trying to use the fact that she's Mormon to sound more credible in voting for the non-Mormon candidate. Nice try. If she had mentioned that she' s Democrat (I'll bet you anything she is), then the credibility would have been out the window. Let's hear some Op-eds from legitimate Independents please.

October 18, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • PerryRip

Dansf,

She did state her political affiliation – PROGRESSIVE. Very much a left brain persuasion.

perryrip

October 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  3. Gene Cole

Did I miss the "African-American Case for Romney" article?

October 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • Concerned Citizen

Find an african american who's voting for romney and wants to write an article.......

October 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
    • Matt

When 96% of African Americans vote for Obama no one mentions anything about racism. If 96% of whites voted for Romney all we would here is how racist America is. Can anyone explain?

October 18, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Russ

@ concerned citizen: as I posted earlier, the percentages are similar.
      Here's what I just found on Gallup...

Mormons: 84% Romney; 13% Obama

African Americans (roughly, I'm avg their gender separated numbers): 88% Obama; 5% Romney

October 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Concerned Citizen

@Russ

I fail to see how that answers anything. I didn't see black people voting for Romney were nonexistent (there's Herman Cain....and some other people) but like I said to Gene here. If you want to see an article by a black person voting for Romney, then find him or her and get him/her to write an op ed.

October 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  4. David

So in essence you're voting for 4 more years of the same thing we got the last 4 years. Anyone can say "hard truths" what I'm looking for is someone with a plan (unlike Oblama) to work our selves out of these issues. He's saying all those hard truths because he couldn't fix them himself and has no idea how too....great vote.

October 18, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • K Kim

And who is this presidential candidate with a plan that you are talking about? You are criticizing Obama for not having a plan but you don't actually say that Romney has a plan. Which is quite notable if you are a Romney supporter since Romney doesn't have a real plan either; only a plan to plan. BTW, I won't vote anymore bc I now view democracy as contrary to God's good and pleasing will; and even on a secular level, at best only marginally better than every other form of gov't.

October 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • Jose

Romeny DOES NOT have a plan. He doesn't even want to show us his tax files for starters. Can't even be transparent about his own "house in order" and we are just supposed to believe him and trust him until after he is elected??

October 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • DandyStryker

Romney has a plan to do more of what Bush did to cause the problem. In any sane universe, that's a worse option than Obama. At least Obama's plan has led to a better economy than the one he was handed by the Republicans.

October 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • PerryRip

Kim, Jose,
      Come on folks. Where's your mature, logical thought process. Trust in a politician? Hard truths? Give me a break. It's all about voting for a lessor evil, and choosing not to vote is even more evil, it's abdicating your civic duty. How does your brain rationalize keeping a failure in office for four more years? I don't love the alternative choice, but if you can't get the job done give someone else a shot at it. What's the definition of insanity???

October 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  5. barbara

Thank you so much for saying all the things that I've thought. Obama gets my vote.

October 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  6. Mormon Bishop

I'm a Mormon bishop and I'm also voting for Obama. Romney does not represent our church , neither his lying character represent who we really and what values we have. His policies are not good, his arrogance is worse and in general his people's skills are way off. Beside, he claims that he was a Mormon pastor???? We don't have pastors in our church , perhaps he is not Mornon ???

October 18, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • bshinkle

You are as much of a Mormon Bishop as I am.

October 18, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • Jen

Thank you for addressing that pastor comment also! I can't beleive he said that. I also being raised in Utah and attending a Mormon church have NEVER in my life heard anyone in the Mormon leadership called a pastor! As a Mormon that was a Hugh insult to my religion.
      All I can say is at least with Obama we know what to expect....just remember people he also made many, many promises...just like Romney is doing..and we have really no idea what he will actually do. Sad to say but this country is in big trouble.

October 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • AlphaUmi

Better study up on your Articles of Faith "Bishop".

October 18, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • hillplus

SUUURE you are a Mormon Bishop. ^wink, wink^

October 18, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • Mormon Bishop

Thanks Jen. I agree with your comments . Also, for thoese of you who don't belive I'm a bishop , too bad for you, because I'm , if this wasn't such a public forum I would give you all my information. Also, when I was set appart in 2008 as a bishop, my stake president set me apart as a "bishop" noty a pastor.

October 18, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • Mormon Too

Yeah, bishop right. And pastor was used so that most _ other than mormon's – would understand what he was talking about. What about Reid's lies? Atleast we kow what we have in Obama. Sure do, and you like it?

Ms. Brooks. Progressive Mormon?? Progressive about what? Supporting the killing of babies?

October 18, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Mormon Too

Moron Bishop, if I were in your ward I would lift my hand to oppose

October 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • newage42

Perhaps your not a Mormon minister either, how would we know from words in comments section. I do not believe Romney lies, if you believe that than back it up with known facts. People in here say lots thing that are untrue, because they want there person to win. I take what people here say with grain of salt... does not Obama lie when keep saying Romney wants protect the rich, when in facts Romney says the opposite?

October 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
    • Yea right...

A mormon bishop would not give his political opinion while trying to sound like an authority on the subject just because of his position in the church. If you are a bishop then you check your "pride meter".

October 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
    • Mormon Bishop

Mormon too , you need to look at the lds.org website there is a link to mormon media where the church post the church's position in different topics read this about abortion , since you are referring about that:
      Now you can see that our church does accept abortion based on thoese exemptions . Also, you may learn that the church does not support , neither opose any legislation in favor or againt abortion,. I'm from Vegas and Harry Reid is a good friend of mine and he is a great guy and good member of our church. You only know what the right media says.

October 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • LC

It's not about religion, "bishop." It's about jobs, lowering the debt, leadership, and the many failures of the current president.

October 18, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • PerryRip

Mormon Bishop,

I thought the Mormon Church had some prerequisite that you had to know how to spell and compose with correct grammar?

October 18, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • LC

Sixth Article of Faith:

We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

October 18, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • Mormon Bishop

LC , I agree, this is why I'm voting for Obama. I only reference I'm mormon because this is what this article is about , otherwise I would have not brought it up.

Good luck to all in November . May God bless our country !
      Respecfully.

October 18, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • Mormon Independent

I generally assume that all politicians are ethically lacking, but I have not heard any examples that would suggest that Barack Obama is of higher moral character than Mitt Romney. Although I am still undecided, I am leaning toward Obama, but my decision is based on issues and philisophies rather than religious affiliation or outstanding moral character shown by either candidate. However, as a Mormon, I don't feel like Romney has done anything to embarass our church. His use of terms like "pastor" are meant to help others identify with his ecclesiastical assignments. The term "bishop" means something different to most of christendom, and few out there would understand what he meant by "stake president".

October 18, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • John Scheid

Dear Bishop, you should be ashamed of yourself and what you are doing on this site whether you put your name out there or not. Whether you claim to be a friend of Harry Reid or not. The last time I checked the Church forbids the use of position to influence elections and political stances. That you put yourself out there means you don't read or understand your handbook. You have a right to your political views and to express them as an individual. You could have used your name on the post and simply indicated you supported Obama and that you were a Mormon. But you couldn't do that could you? You instead try to use your position in the Church as a method to influence those who might be undecided or even to influence those who might change their mind because a "Mormon Bishop" said it was okay.

You have some serious repenting to do Brother. You also have some serious study to do of the people and issues – oh and don't forget the study it out in your mind and asking the Lord if it is right part...

The First Presidency position is as follows:

"the First Presidency letter issued on 16 June 2011 is a re-statement and further clarification of the Church’s position on political neutrality at the start of another political season. It applies to all full-time General Authorities, general auxiliary leaders, mission presidents and temple presidents. The policy is not directed to full-time Church employees.

"General Authorities and general officers of the Church and their spouses and other ecclesiastical leaders serving full-time should not personally participate in political campaigns, including promoting candidates, fundraising, speaking in behalf of or otherwise endorsing candidates, and making financial contributions.

"Since they are not full-time officers of the Church, Area Seventies, stake presidents and bishops are free to contribute, serve on campaign committees and otherwise support candidates of their choice with the understanding they:

•Are acting solely as individual citizens in the democratic process and that they do not imply, or allow others to infer, that their actions or support in any way represent the church.

•Will not use Church stationery, Church-generated address lists or email systems or Church buildings for political promotional purposes.

•Will not engage in fundraising or other types of campaigning focused on fellow Church members under their ecclesiastical supervision."

October 18, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  7. bshinkle

Ms. Brooks – What I gleaned from your opinion piece is that you are voting for Obama because of truths he "almost" said and scriptures you'd like to hear?

Makes sense to me.

Looking forward to this cult-like Presidency finally coming to an end on November 6.

October 18, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  8. Todd

Thankfully most Mormons are much brighter than Ms. Brooks and will vote overwhelmingly for Mitt Romney!

October 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • Richard G

Same could be said of you. Not all mormons are voting for Romney. He's just a person with his own opinions. He's not god nor the messiah, as some saints, like you, seem to think.

October 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Maria Carvalho

I beg to differ. Smart Mormons are for Obama and are kind of embarassed by Romney.

October 18, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • hillplus

Todd is correct.

October 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  9. Rick

Quite an irresponsible attempt at normalizing the extremism of the president by this author. Reducing debts and living with reduced revenues means difficult choices for all. And the current state of affairs in the public shools of the country is horrible at best, not due to diminished funding, or one party slashing support. No, schools are a mess becasue the countries moral fiber has take a serious turn to the down swing. Children run roughshod over the parents and an inability to deal with them appropriately in the school settings due to inane laws restricitng discipline embolden the slacker school age crowds. Arcane tenure rules continue to support many poor educators over better performing educators and this must stop.

Funding for anything in this country relies on a strong economy to support the need. The current administration has shown little or no regard to empower the economy to start running. More likely, the admin has weakend the economy further thru restirction and regulation. Reducing oil permits on federal lands restricts the future of engergy independence. When corprate tax rates are compared wit hour neihbor north of the border, we look like Stalinistic follower rather than the leader of the free world. A strong economy enables much and a weak economy ruins all. Obama has no clue how to enrgise this economy and his track record backs that up. Romney;s track record backs up his promises of bringing prosperity back to the country, and if fact Romey is an exelllect example of pursuiing the american dream. The opportunity for the dream is there to be take by all legal citizens, but it must be earned thru hard work and commitment, sacrifice and effort. The oportunity is given to all who desire to try, but cannot be given to those that would not.

October 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • AlphaUmi

Absolutely correct. To believe what any politician says about what he will do during a lame duck term when his fist term actions speak the opposite is problematic.

October 18, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • PerryRip

Rick,

"Steel on target brother"! Well stated. Amazing how gullible and ignorant so many intelligent Obamaites can be.

October 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
  10. Eric

Mythical Jesus please come back from planet kolab to removeth thy magic underwear deep from within Romney's ass.

October 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • bshinkle

You spelled "Kolob" wrong, dimwit.

October 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • Eric

I didn't realize that pretend planets have proper ways to be spelt.

October 18, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • zaohod

I like it a lot.

October 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  11. hotairwarrior

I just don't understand why anyone would vote for Romney given his clear flip flopping on so many issues. Who knows what he would really do if egged on by a teaparty congress.

October 18, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • agathokles

Agree. He'll say anything to get elected. Pander to anyone. Look at the numbers of extremely wealthy people donating to his campaign through super PACs and that should tell you he doesn't have the Middle Class' concerns to answer to.

October 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • newage42

Guess you never changed your mind about anything huh?

October 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  12. CitizenJP

Ms. Brooks is a smart lady with a smart choice. The election is not for head of a church but the head of a Government.

October 18, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • Mitt RobMe

Amen, Agree 100%

October 18, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  13. martha

openion matters; you have the pre-agency to choose, keep your openion to yourself joanna brooks!

October 18, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • umm..

openion? open-ion? ope-nion..?

ope-nion-style !!

October 18, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • English Teacher

your "openion " doesn't count , because you can't even spell .

October 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • tnwolf

This is America, where everyone, even you are not only allowed but encouraged to express their opinions, most especially at the ballot box.

October 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • Church of Suicidal

I think it's a variety of onion. It's good on Cheepeseburgers with bapecon.

October 18, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • ;p;

This is an opinion blog, you dumbass.

October 18, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  14. Reality

Only for the eyes of Joanna Brooks, (since she has not thanked us, we are resending)

For your escape into the world of Rational Thinking:

The Apostles' Creed 2012 (updated by yours truly based on the studies of NT historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven?????

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
    ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (References used are available upon request.)

October 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  15. MomonNotVotingForObama

Did he tell you the hard truth about Libya?

October 18, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • MomonNotVotingForObama

Has he told an ounce of truth about Romney's character?

October 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • MomonNotVotingForObama

How about the "fee" in Obama care ... is it hard truth that these are really taxes?

October 18, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • Ridgerunner

IIt appears that Limbaugh and Hannity have become your Hosts Of Hosts? From Scripts To Scripters eh?

October 18, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • Romney'sIllegitimateDaughter

Yes he did. And Romney showed why isn't morally qualified to be CIC. He also isn't tough enough. He's disrespectful to the President. He won't get elected, and I'm glad. I hate to see any man down, but Romney going down will be pleasing to watch.

And thank god he'll never get any media attention again, for he deserves nothing. His FIVE sons who DID NOT SERVE their country is something Americans don't want to see in the White House, or anywhere near it. Ann is a disgusting person, so is Mitt , and so is their son who said he wanted to "punch" the President. That shows it all right there. the right wing is finished in this country, finally. Thank you Jesus!

October 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • steve

Obama told the truth about Libya and then did the "Presidential" thing...he took full responsibility. Funny, I never heard GW Bush take responsibility for 9/11. 3000 Americans died on his watch when he was in charge of the security of this nation. I did not hear either a Democrat or Republican call him out on that. That is why Republicans are such hypocrites on this matter. They should have dropped the matter entirely, lest the skeletons in their closets come back to haunt them.

October 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • WEB

When will you republican lemmings realize that what we need, is a president who will govern this country! Most of you seem to forget that govern is part of the word government. Instead, all you appear to focus on is "what is in it for me?" Lower my taxes! You don't want to hear about the real problems this country is facing. In fact, it appears most of you want to make them worse by voting for Romney.
      I can't believe the banners around my neighborhood for Romney that say "Believe in America" what a joke! I want to take a permanent marker and write on the bottom of each "Send Jobs Overseas" which is what Romney did and if President what he would allow corporations to do more readily. He would also work at getting rid of the regulations that have been put in place to help make sure we don't have a repeat of what led to our recent problems.
      I believe the expression "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it" is one that the republican party and its followers should really think hard about. However, I really don't think they ever will because I have come to believe, after hearing what Romney, Ryan and other republican "leaders" say, that GOP is not an acronym for Grand Old Party but for Get Others to Pay!

October 18, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
  16. hotairwarrior

Good opinion piece ,since I agree with the writer. Romney promised to deregulate industries and close down the EPA to boost the economy, but just remember it might be your well that gets polluted or your new housing development that is built on a toxic waste dump. Everyone seems to forget "Love Canal" and the sick people from that mess.

October 18, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  17. NavyMom

I'm from Florida nad we have a Republic Governer. I remember when he was running for office he said that he could get jobs in Florida because he has so much business experience and now Florida has one of the most unemployment rates in the nation. That goes to show you that having business experience doesn't mean that you can turn an economy around!

October 18, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  18. Doug

Thank you for stating "The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community." There have been cases where the Mormon family in the neighborhood supported the whole neighborhood during an emergency, providing warmth, food, and shelter during extended power outages, etc., because they believe in Scouting and being prepared for problems. The food storage program started when it was realized that the church could not take care of all of its members during a disaster coming out of the Depression. It has nothing to do with End Times Paranoia. Having food to live on in case you loose you job or there is a disaster has helped many families in recent years. It was beneficial to families located around the World Trade Center shortly after the 9/11 attack.

October 18, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • martha

great post, i think all should practice food storage ith regardless of any religion affiliation! and live within our means....

October 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Romney'sIllegitimateDaughter

It has everything to do with End Times paranoia. I've been a leader in the LDS for 43 years. Please get your facts straight skippy.

October 18, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Doug

"Romney'sIllegitimateDaughter:"
      I have to differ from you. A general authority recently gave a talk warning us not to get caught up in the right-wing, end-timers. It is true that as "Latter Day Saints," we believe we're in the latter days before the "Scond Coming," so everything we do is for the last days, but the food storage system isn't. According the the book published by the church on the Welfare System history, the Home Preparedness program was started when the General Authorities realized the Church's welfare systm was being designed to meet the welfare needs of needy people, but the church could not adequately respond to the size of its membership if a disaster would happen. It is true that stakes are frequently asked to help out other stakes in responding to disasters, but the church responds internationally to about two disasters a day. The federal Emerergency Management folks have started advertising to do not only food storage but disaster preparation, too. The Second Coming could be centuries away.

October 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  19. Salero21

Millions of jobs will not return, that's an inconvenient truth. The world is not made up of only the US of A, that's also and inconvenient truth. Other people work harder, for longer hours, for lower wages and the cost of living in their countries is lower than ours, those are also inconvenient truths.

The worst and most inconvenient truth is; That the current generation of americans have become lazy, obese, slow, addicted to a host of drugs and stimulants and the biggest group of INGRATES, MALCONTENTS and STIFF-NECKED people the History of the world has ever know. On top of all of that and much, mucho more, they act and talk like if God in Heaven owes it to them.

That is a very dangerous posture to take, because the one [GOD], who gave it ALL freely, who handed out and handed down ALL [GOD], can also in one day even in one hour take it ALL away and give it to somebody else. Who may be just a little more GRATEFUL.

October 18, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • DIY Diva Unleashed

Well said, Salero, well said.

October 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • zaohod

I like it a lot...

October 18, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  20. Average Joe

"Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

Gee, I would love to be able to follow that philosophy in my personal life. Can't pay my bills? Give myself a raise! Yay! Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. The reality is that debts don't get paid down without adjustments in spending.

October 18, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Steph

Revenue adjustment: I can't pay my bills so I get a second job. Spending adjustment: I can't pay my bills so I grocery shop at Aldi and buy less food. In my family, we do both.

October 18, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • joe

Or you could get a second job.

October 18, 2012 at 4:25 pm |