home
RSS
My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama
October 18th, 2012

My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama

Editor's Note: Joanna Brooks is a senior correspondent for ReligionDispatches.org and author of "The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith."

By Joanna Brooks, Special to CNN

(CNN)–There are two moments and two moments only that made my soul sit upright during Tuesday night’s presidential debate:

President Obama, speaking about the loss of manufacturing jobs to low-wage economies like China: “There are some jobs that are not coming back.”

Obama, speaking about four lives lost in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya: “I am the one who has to meet those coffins when they come home.”

Morbid? Not at all. I’m just a believer in the gospel of hard truths.

And as I am the mother of two school-age children, a teacher at an underfunded public university and a progressive Mormon, hard truths about the challenges our nation faces are all that makes sense to me.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred.

As an educator, I have witnessed firsthand how failure to generate responsible levels of public revenue has significantly compromised generations’ worth of investment in our public schools and universities.

And as a Mormon, I grew up with a healthy sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. I was raised, after all, with a religious aversion to debt and a year’s supply of canned wheat, beans and powdered milk in the garage, as instructed by LDS Church leaders. The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community.

Profile of Brooks: Crossing the plains and kicking up dirt, a new Mormon pioneer

This nation is in a difficult season, and I listened carefully Tuesday night for a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. What I heard instead were the usual rhetorical swerves.

Mitt Romney offered personal anecdotes about “binders full of women” that have nothing to do with economic security for American families. He promised allegedly revenue-neutral $5 trillion tax cuts but refused to provide solid details on how he’d balance the books. And he made throwaway references to all people being the “children of the same God” without substantial reflection on how that should translate in terms of budget and policy.

What I really wanted from the debate was more of the hard truths that Obama seemed to be on the verge of saying:

“This recession is fundamentally different than other recessions, and there are no short-term fixes.”

“Our old strategies for managing Middle Eastern conflict through military intervention or propped-up dictators don’t work. And there is no easy way forward.”

“The only thing the $3 trillion Iraq war produced for the United States was a mountain of debt and a legion of disabled Americans.”

“We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.”

“Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

These are the kind of hard truths that speak to the same part of me that took notice when Obama at his inauguration quoted the Scripture: “It is time to put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13: 11).

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And given the challenges we face in bringing down deficits while investing sensibly in the nation’s future, here are some other Scriptures I’d like to hear:

“Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6).

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

Morbid? Not at all. But I do feel a sense of responsibility for keeping an eye on the worst-case scenarios. And a few months’ worth of rice and beans in the garage, like Mormon leaders teach me. And an ear out for the gospel of hard truths.

I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes. And I will vote to give him a second term.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Mitt Romney • Politics

soundoff (2,087 Responses)
  1. Joe

“it is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high today and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now.” John F Kennedy, 1962
    Also, look to the economic collapse of 1921, and the Harding administration cutting taxes AND spending, and the economy jumped upwards. You may have heard of the Roaring 20's? Anyway, when Kennedy and Reagan cut taxes, the economy also increased.
    Now, dear sir, where is your evidence?

October 18, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • Karl

"I can quote things that are neither on-topic or relevant to any discussion too!" – Karl
      Since I quoted something that means I am right. The internet told me so. See?

October 18, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No kidding, Karl. This is 2012, not 1962. Too bad Joe is unaware of that.

October 18, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
  2. sqeptiq

God, I wish Fox would open up its comments lines again so all these foxbots would go back to koolaid land.

October 18, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • Karl

Is that what happened here? Why don't they all spontaneously combust? I would be glad to hear of them doing so.

October 18, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
  3. Pennee

The writer described herself as a "Progressive Mormon". For those of you who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, there are very few women in the church that would describe themselves Progressive Mormons.
    If by progressive, she means that she is more comfortable picking and choosing those doctrines of the church that fit her liberal mindset and ignoring the teachings that don't, then I guess progressive is as good a description as any.

October 18, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • Mark Cluff

Very well articulated Pennee

October 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

but Jesus was a progressive and a liberal
      the pharisees were conservative and close minded

October 18, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • tnfreethinker

If picking & choosing scripture is your definition of Liberal, then all Christians are Liberal.

October 18, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

actually Jesus is the father of socialism

October 18, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • Dan

That's about as egregious of a judgement I have heard another member cast upon another in many years. To me, progressive means being able to see the grey, or "having ears to hear," as Christ used to say. A key component of the LDS church is continuing revelation, or essentially, change, or progress, so why should we fear change in our country? Too many of us are stuck in the past and are afraid to embrace the future. As for me, I am LDS, and also will likely not vote for Romney. I loved him as governor, but don't have any clue who this guy is running for office. He had me at "hello" but that was a long time ago...

October 18, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
  4. Sam Yaza

my take i'm a Pagan and i finally left the republican party, and why I'm Voting Jill Stine,...short answer I'm not an idiot.

October 18, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

October 18, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
  5. fullclarity

Joanna, you go girl!

October 18, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
  6. sunnymurchison

I voted for Romney, last week, by mail-in ballot.

October 18, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gee, how impressive. Aren't you special!

October 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
  7. gatorfldennis

This woman has a very distorted view of our history and policies. this isn't an economic downturn unlike any other-it was considerably worse under Reagan and he fixed in one term and worked with both parties to do so. And we have only intervened militarily twice in the middle eastsince dealing with the "barbary Pirates" and that is if you consider Afghanistan in the middle east. The middle eastern dictators whose regimes are at the center of middle eastern conflict (Libya, Syria,Iran) have never been propped up or supported by t he US- ever. This person neds to read some books and spend less time on twitter!

October 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • TR6

" this isn't an economic downturn unlike any other-it was considerably worse under Reagan"

I was there for Reagans "downturn" and it wasn't anything as bad as it's been now

October 18, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • Karl

Look out! We got a geezer here! Stand back! (kidding)

October 18, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • BG

Q. Why should you never fvck with an old geezer?

A. He'll kill you.

October 18, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
    • Cynicrat

I've often thought that BG and TR6 are the same person. Well, BG? Am I right?

October 18, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • BG

Nah. I'm just me. Similar style though, you're right about that. When I do change names it's usually to add emphasis to my post.

October 19, 2012 at 12:02 am |
    • GB

Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya

Game. Set. Match.

October 19, 2012 at 4:17 am |
  8. Bill Fitzgerald

Seek some help johanna, your ideas are whacko and make no sense.

October 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • sqeptiq

Wow, what a substantive reply. And you probably think of yourself as an adult.

October 18, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • Jean

Yet another Republican who can't beat the sound statements of someone with a different view fairly, will just resort to name calling. Your own recollection of history is inaccurate.

October 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
  9. sue

I'm not Mormon, but I agree with Joanna. A vote for Romney is a vote for tax cuts for the rich paid for by additional taxes on the poor and middle class, even higher deficets, additional unnecessary spending on war/defense, setting women's rights back decades, and a nation that has no concern for the poor, seniors and even our children.

October 18, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
  10. florida boy

I have a question for all Obama supporters. Please think of at least two things that Obama that has helped you or your family have a better life. Can't think of anything? That is why he must go!!

October 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • Joe

Once I figure out how eat Hope and pay my bills with Change, I'll be set 🙂

October 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

1) He prevented a total melt-down of the US economy 2) He brought the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq to an end

And 3) He isn't Bush. He actually has a brain.

Did you think you had a point, boy-chik?

You're a moron.

October 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Once you figure out how to grow a brain, Joe, alert the media.

October 18, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • Joe

Dear Tom-Tom, It turns out almost all of the spending to "save" the economy were done under Bush (See TARP, the initial Auto Bailouts, Loans to AIG, etc). As far as "ending the war in Iraq", it was following the exact same policy to leave decided under the Bush administration by the military leaders. Turns out, Obama really just followed what Bush was doing (That most fiscal conservatives, like me, derided). And, you're right, he isn't Bush, but "Actually has a brain?" can you honestly say that anyone intelligent enough to have better average grades at Harvard than John Kerry or who ascends to the governorship or presidency doesn't have a brain?

October 18, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • Joe

Dear CNN, apparently I should let you know I have a brain. Apparently, acknowledging that things are far more complex than people like "Tom Tom" et al means I have one. Oh, and, buddy, get a sense of humor and take the Obama poster off the ceiling above your bed.

October 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • sqeptiq

I'm really sure that the Obama tax cuts helped me and a lot of working Americans. I'm sure the healthcare act is helping many people with pre-existing conditions...who Romney couldn't care less about. I suppose the Lily Ledbetter act should be praised by every woman in America...but Romney doesn't think fair pay is really a big deal.

October 18, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Joe, if you were a plant, we'd have to water you.

October 18, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • florida boy

To Tom,Tom, the idiot! The last time I heard the military is still in Afghanistan, so how has the war ended there when we have brave soldiers dying everyday? How has he helped prevent an economic meltdown? By putting us 6 trillion dollars in debt? So, TOM you are the moron!

October 18, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And Joe-Pye, if you HAD a brain, you'd have figured out that Bush is the one who got us INTO the war with Iraq for no valid reasons whatsoever and wasted billions of dollars and thousands of American lives as a result.

Bush was a disaster from start to finish. The fact that he left the economy in free-fall isn't Obama's fault, you azz. Obama kept the worst from occurring. I suggest you get a degree in finance and economics before you shoot off your big mouth.

October 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • Joe

Tom, if you were intelligent, I might care about your opinion. Be intelectually honest, Obama hasn't "saved" anything. Economies boom and bust. The recession was caused by bad economic decisions which were allowed by loosening of regulations under Bush AND Clinton. The growth in the economy has much more to do with the housing market finding it's bottom. Also, really, is $6 Trillion worth the few thousand jobs we're "up" on when Obama took office? Doubt it.

October 18, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • dsmm

FIrst off, in response to your challenge, I have health insurance again after not having it for a few years. I have a pre-existing condition and when the economc bad times came, I had to let my old insurance go, and then was unable to replace it when my income improved. 2. I lost my house and my business went from being on the brink to being a going concern again. I own a house again too. NO mortgage this time because I bought a foreclosure. So, you see, President Obama has helped me a lot. He supports equal rights for women, choice, and gay rights which are important to me, and he wants to get us out of all these extrraordinarily expensive wars. He got Bin Laden killed. He is working to save the middle class, not the multimillionaires who send jobs to China–all important to me. As I mentioned already, he brought the economy back from the brink. We have experienced many months of solid growth now and the real estate market is growing again too. The economy is about to take off. All with NO help from obstructionist Republicans who prefer to wreck the economy just so they can take back power and ruin things again. I want to fire every one of them!

October 18, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hilarious, Joe, that you dream you're some sort of economic or financial wizard, yet you have yet to figure out how apostrophes work or how to form a plural noun. Get back to me when you're actually literate, you boob. You're an idiot.

October 18, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • Joe

Hind Sight is 20/20, isn't it? Who spoke out about the war in Iraq BEFORE it happened? Who in Congress, including Saint Obama the Divine, voted to defund it? I have my own opinions that Iraq was more to create a democracy in the Middle East to counter-act extremeism, but those opinions are my own. Truly, it was NOT about WMD's. But, regardless, the point I'm making is Obama is happy to take credit for things that were going to happen anyway, but happier still to blame Bush for all the ills of the world. News Flash, Dems controlled the House, Senate and Presidency for TWO YEARS! He could have pulled us out of Iraq on Jan 3, 2009, but he didn't. Seriously, tell me what Obama has done that can be verified to have improved the economy? What has he done so different from what Bush said was the plan in Iraq? What, precicely, has he done to earn another 4 years?

October 18, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

That facts are that had Obama NOT stopped the free-fall of the economy, we'd be in far worse shape than we are now, by far. Repubs like Joe the Poe would love to pretend otherwise, but you can bet mopes like him don't have a clue what might have occurred had their idol McCain been elected.

They're sore losers, with the emphasis on LOSERS.

October 18, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What's Romney done to earn 4 years?

October 18, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • Joe

Funny, I thought apostrophys and "proper nouns" were part of English, not Economics? Maybe I'm wrong. I don't declare myself some sort of economic genius, but I quite clearly have pointed out that you have no knowledge on the subject. Get back to me when you have facts to support your opinion. Unlike your limited level of intelligence, calling me a "boob" does not make you a debate winner.

October 18, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Furthermore, what's the Romney "plan," anyway? What guarantees can you make that the economy won't continue to improve regardless? What will Romney "do" to speed up the recovery? If the economic cycle is what it is, then why would electing a different President matter at all? To hear Joe blather on, the President has little if any effect anyhow, so why vote for an unknown who isn't going to improve anything anyway?

October 18, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Being an illiterate azzhole doesn't make you a debate winner, Joe, sweetie. I didn't realize that being an economics wizard precluded understanding common English grammar.

If you can't express yourself without looking like a high school drop-out, it's not my problem.

October 18, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Not only have you not acquitted yourself in the area of English, but you've posted not a single thing that proves your candidate will be able to do anything to turn the economy around, Joe. When you can substantiate your claims, alert the media. Until then, go back to school and figure out how to write.

October 18, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
    • Joe

Just because Obama is not my idol, does not mean McCain was. I did vote for him, because I believe someone who's spent his life in service to his country (not to mention had gotten re-elected at least once) had more experience in a dangerous time. You base your belief that Obama's spending "saved" the economy on Keynesian economics. It's a theory, and not one I've ever seen facts backing directly. Spending to help sure up the "safety net" is one thing I agree with, but buying an auto company so the UAW will be able to keep their contracts didn't help the economy. Funding Solyndra, A123 et al didn't help the economy. Other than Public Sector jobs, Obama has no effect on it whatsoever (actually, the Stimulus Bill had to be voted through Congress, but I digress). Even if you assume that there were 5 Million jobs created as a direct result of the "stimulus", it cost over $250,000 per job. Oddly, he wants to tax them under his tax plan. Facts are, the public sector has the bulk of the money in our economy, and investment won't occur until people feel they have some certainty in the economy. Constant limited spending doesn't cut it. The only thing that will really stimulate growth is permanent tax policies that business owners can rely on. Two year at a time "band-aids" won't cut it. So, again, where is your evidence to the contrary?

October 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Where's yours? You don't have any evidence that what Romney proposes will work any better than what Obama's already done.

October 18, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • Joe

I completely believe that a President has little effect on the economy. Very little positive, slightly more negative possibility of effect. However, the high amount of temporary spending has not produced nearly enough jobs per dollar. Again, this is my opinion, and I'm quite welcome to it, especially as I have pointed out facts to support my case. I have invited you, multiple times, to provide evidence as well. However, like an education much further below High School dropout, you respond with name calling and insults. Facts, please, or go pray to your Obama statue.

October 18, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And quite frankly, Joe, if you don't give a ripe fvck about anybody else, you probably should vote for Romney. If you think this country is one in which the common good is paramount and that the rich aren't the only people who matter, vote for Obama. I don't really give a hoot what you do, Joe, since you're a faceless, meaningless doofus on the internet.

October 18, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

If I thought for a minute that Romney would do a better job AND would support a woman's right to choose, then I'd vote for him. I have no reason to believe he'll be an improvement over Obama and it's guaranteed that he won't support continued funding of Planned Parenthood or support reproductive rights, so screw him. And you.

October 18, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • Mark12_31

Many who plan to vote for Obama do not ask themselves "what has Obama done to help YOU or your family have a better life." We ask, what is best for EVERYONE in this country. To that question, we answer the President halted us from going into a deep Depression (Repubs would have let the market take care of itself, which would have meant much deeper and longer unemployment), gave medical care access to those who were historically denied, and dismantled the top leaders of the most dangerous terrorist group in the world, including Bin Laden. I have a well paying job, I don't need Federal assistance at the moment, nor have I ever. I am paying my own school loans off for my MBA. But I will not stand by and watch my Fellow Americans in need live in the streets, go without medical care when they need it most.

October 18, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • Ruman

You know, I don't remember that being listed anywhere among the president's duties...he doesn't really have all that much power. People tend to forget that the president is not a wizard with a magical economy wand.

October 18, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
    • Veritas

Joe, If you believe that a President has little impact on the economy why have you been giving Obama a hard time on multiple threads all day?

October 18, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
    • Joe

Veritas, I have given him gripe more to counter those who believe he "saved" the economy. Economies save themselves, so long as those who invest find somewhere to invest that is stable. I don't believe that the President does much to save an economy, but I do believe policies can damage the economy.

October 18, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Joe", after analyzing the truth values of your posts, I have determined that Tom's assertions are correct. You are, in fact, an idiot. I have also determined that there is a high likelihood that the entity "florida boy" is in fact, a moron.

October 18, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Veritas, I believe I can answer your question (even though Joe the Chickensh!t didn't deign to do so). Joe hates liberals and Democrats and would vote for Satan himself if the guy were running on the Repub ticket.

October 18, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
  11. C.H.

What a waste of time. The only reason this blog was posted on CNN is because she is a mormon woman, one of maybe a 100 in the entire country, that will actually vote for Obama. As another mormon woman, I can tell you that this will appeal to very few other mormon women. I could not relate to any of her views and did not feel that it was well written. CNN is becoming so obviously biased in favor of Obama to post this.

October 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • Carl

So true. This is CNN at its worst, pretending to be a new organization when it is really a political hack organization. Glad I saw this story; NEVER again to watch or read CNN trash.

October 18, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • sqeptiq

How are things over there in Stepford?

October 18, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • sqeptiq

Carl, you will not be missed.

October 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@C.H.

I'm sure they'd be equally excited to run a story from a gay atheist voting for Mittens, should such a person exist.

October 18, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • Dan

I wouldn't call it bias at all. CNN is well aware that the majority of LDS women don't share this same mindset, so they presented an alternative, albeit minority, point of view. We shouldn't fear people who have opinions who differ from our own. Ultimately your inability to respect her and her views (though you may not agree) will hurt you only in the long term. She's happy with who she is. I suggest you might try being happy with who you are without being surrounded by people who are exactly like you. In other words, get out of Happy Valley.

October 18, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
    • End Religion

@CH: You're correct that it's rare to find a Mormon woman who dares think beyond her religious feedbag.

October 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • JJB

There are more Mormons voting for Obama than you realize. No one in my ward knows that I am voting for Obama. Why would I open myself up to ridicule. Ponder before you spout.

October 20, 2012 at 12:21 am |
  12. cbentley

Obama as the straight-talk hard truth teller? Hardly. To the extent President Obama is telling us "hard truths," it's only because he's being forced to acknowledge his poor record. Obama has made a career out of telling people, very eloquently, exactly what it is they want to hear. Now, granted, we haven't much, if any, hard talk from Mitt Romney this election cycle, but Mitt has one thing President Obama doesn't have: a record of demonstrated competence and success.

If you want to vote for President Obama because of Obamacare, because of DADT or his position on other social issues, or even because you think Mitt Romney wants to take birth control away, great, more power to you. But voting for President Obama because he'll tell you the hard truths? That sounds like reaching rationalization.

October 18, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
  13. currentmorm

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

To me a $1 trillion deficit isn't exactly getting our house in order.

October 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • BG

Well then, mom, you should really "clean house" when you realize that it's not $1T.

It's $16T.

Please use your broom and dustpan in November....

October 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • sqeptiq

BG, you should really learn the difference between debt and deficit before you comment.

October 18, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • Karl

An economy is a system of financial energy. Read up on Keynesian Economics, which is what you would be taught in college Econ 101, and then get back to us. Thanks.

October 18, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • BG

Fair catch – hat tip.

October 18, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • BG

my comment was to @ sqeptiq.

October 18, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
  14. thecollegeadmissionsguru

I'm an Atheist and I'm going to vote for Obama, does that mean I get my own blog on CNN?

October 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • BG

Well, you certainly post enough in here to qualify as a contributor. What more do you want? A by-line? Now be a good liberal and don't get too greedy.... Ooops. Too late. You already want more for yourself.

The metamorphosis is complete. The "collegeadmissionsguru" (fvck me, that's a lame name) is now a (gasp!!) a Republican.

October 18, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
    • Jimbird

lol u mad

October 18, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • sqeptiq

You aren't clever enough to be an atheist, troll.

October 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

October 19, 2012 at 12:06 am |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

Oh and BG, is an AWESOME name.. NOT!!! Your'e just an old, angry, foul mouthed, loser with little or nothing to say of any interest or value. You just hop on here and throw insults and add NOTHING. You show your ignorance of issues so often, I am force to wonder if you aren't maybe just a kid or a guy sitting in his mom's basement typing with one hand and jerking with the other.

October 19, 2012 at 12:09 am |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

@BG Let's see, YOU posted 21 times on the last three pages 27-29, and I posted five times, and you say I Post on here a lot? Really, then you post four times as much as I do... interesting... Thanks for the love, old fart.

October 19, 2012 at 12:17 am |
    • BG

@thecollegeadmi.... etc.

"Wow, BG, I wasn't aware there was a limit on the number of posts one gets on here. At least my posts are thought out, not just whatever shoots out my Ass like yours."

But incredibly, what shoots out of my ass is better than what you have to offer, plus, I'm not demanding my own blog. Methinks you're shooting a bit high, there, guru.

Ommmmm. Stay calm... Ommmmmm.

"Oh and BG, is an AWESOME name.. NOT!!! Your'e just an old, angry, foul mouthed, loser with little or nothing to say of any interest or value. You just hop on here and throw insults and add NOTHING. "

Maybe I'm just a troll. The BG is a trib to the Brothers Gibb, talented guys who are dropping like flies. I miss them.

"You show your ignorance of issues so often, I am force to wonder if you aren't maybe just a kid or a guy sitting in his mom's basement typing with one hand and jerking with the other."

Nice to hear that works for you, but personally, I'm not good at multi-tasking.

"Let's see, YOU posted 21 times on the last three pages 27-29, and I posted five times, and you say I Post on here a lot? Really, then you post four times as much as I do... interesting... Thanks for the love, old fart."

♥♥ Back at 'cha. ♥♥

OK, you broke me down. You can have your own blog. In fact, you can use this one. Here. Now you're the master of all you can click. No, not with that hand.

October 19, 2012 at 1:21 am |
    • BG

@ grrrrruru

Jeez, kid. Lighten up and you might actually have some fun on these blogs... and here's a hint: Try not to have three posts in a row (what do they call that? A Triple Linde? Like a Rodney Dangerfield high dive?)

It makes you look... um, well, just desperate. It's kind of embarrassing for you, actually.

October 19, 2012 at 1:33 am |
  15. bullet1

There is no pie in the sky solution to our staggering debt. For Romney to say he can solve it without tapping into the wealth of the richest four or five percent of the population is pure nonsense. Obama is dead on correct when he tells us that the jobs Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Bush 2 sent to overseas slave labor countries are lost for ever is the pure, honest truth. Americans had better wise up and stop believing what the millionaire [billionaire?] Republicans tell them. How do they think they all got rich so fast? Water will find its own level, but it takes time and hard work to get it where it does the most good. It sure as hell is not the Republicans who can re- grow the economy. Reagan and Bush 1 and 2 guaranteed that. Bill Clinton saved us from going into a depression for eight years, but we did not learn from our mistakes and voted Bush 2 in. That is the biggest mistake the voting public ever made.

October 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
  16. Professor Jazz

Religion should have nothing to do with government

October 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • C.H.

I agree. Separation of church and state was created to protect our freedom of religion. When we start mixing it we risk losing it.

October 18, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
  17. soul68

A vote for Romney is a vote for more war. Guaranteed war if Romney wins because he's Netanyahu's lap dog.

October 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Dan

Do you even think before you type that lame, idiotic stuff.

October 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • BG

Didn't you hear Biden at the VP debate?

"I've known Bibi Netanyahu for 29 years"

Sounds like Uncle Joe is farther up Bibi that his lap....

October 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • bullet1

Right on! The Jewish people by and large are great folks, but they elect war mongers for leaders. I can understand their apprehension because of the holocaust, but that happened 60+ years ago and Hitler and his henchmen are long dead. Israel is surrrounded by mean-assed people and must either try to get along or perish. They have nuclear bombs and missiles, but like the U.S.A. cannot use them without assuring their own deaths. Iran is led by religious zealots and are without doubt the biggest fools in the middle east. Saddam Hussien was the only force in the region that could keep Iran from going off the deep end but Bush screwed that up for personal revenge and to help his buddies in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

October 18, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • JK

I'm glad to hear somebody else say this. I agree and can't understand how people can't see what a bully he still is. He brags about being a tough guy and how this or that wouldn't happen if he were president. One of those things that that he brags wouldn't happen is an attack on a US embassy when in fact more attacks have occurred when Republicans were president.

October 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  18. freelyfrankie

Reblogged this on frankie wallace and commented:
    truth matters....

October 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
  19. Pam N.

Dave N. puts the small d in little limp dick.

October 18, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
  20. Jay

I'm a born and raised Mormon. Dad is a Republican, Mom is a Democrat. Both are members of their political parties for the right reasons. Mormon ideals can be found in both platforms.

October 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • Kell

The second "m" was a mistake and should be omitted.

October 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
    • sqeptiq

Kell, I'm afraid that was to subtle for Jay.

October 18, 2012 at 8:59 pm |