home
RSS
My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama
October 18th, 2012

My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama

Editor's Note: Joanna Brooks is a senior correspondent for ReligionDispatches.org and author of "The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith."

By Joanna Brooks, Special to CNN

(CNN)–There are two moments and two moments only that made my soul sit upright during Tuesday night’s presidential debate:

President Obama, speaking about the loss of manufacturing jobs to low-wage economies like China: “There are some jobs that are not coming back.”

Obama, speaking about four lives lost in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya: “I am the one who has to meet those coffins when they come home.”

Morbid? Not at all. I’m just a believer in the gospel of hard truths.

And as I am the mother of two school-age children, a teacher at an underfunded public university and a progressive Mormon, hard truths about the challenges our nation faces are all that makes sense to me.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred.

As an educator, I have witnessed firsthand how failure to generate responsible levels of public revenue has significantly compromised generations’ worth of investment in our public schools and universities.

And as a Mormon, I grew up with a healthy sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. I was raised, after all, with a religious aversion to debt and a year’s supply of canned wheat, beans and powdered milk in the garage, as instructed by LDS Church leaders. The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community.

Profile of Brooks: Crossing the plains and kicking up dirt, a new Mormon pioneer

This nation is in a difficult season, and I listened carefully Tuesday night for a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. What I heard instead were the usual rhetorical swerves.

Mitt Romney offered personal anecdotes about “binders full of women” that have nothing to do with economic security for American families. He promised allegedly revenue-neutral $5 trillion tax cuts but refused to provide solid details on how he’d balance the books. And he made throwaway references to all people being the “children of the same God” without substantial reflection on how that should translate in terms of budget and policy.

What I really wanted from the debate was more of the hard truths that Obama seemed to be on the verge of saying:

“This recession is fundamentally different than other recessions, and there are no short-term fixes.”

“Our old strategies for managing Middle Eastern conflict through military intervention or propped-up dictators don’t work. And there is no easy way forward.”

“The only thing the $3 trillion Iraq war produced for the United States was a mountain of debt and a legion of disabled Americans.”

“We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.”

“Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

These are the kind of hard truths that speak to the same part of me that took notice when Obama at his inauguration quoted the Scripture: “It is time to put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13: 11).

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And given the challenges we face in bringing down deficits while investing sensibly in the nation’s future, here are some other Scriptures I’d like to hear:

“Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6).

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

Morbid? Not at all. But I do feel a sense of responsibility for keeping an eye on the worst-case scenarios. And a few months’ worth of rice and beans in the garage, like Mormon leaders teach me. And an ear out for the gospel of hard truths.

I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes. And I will vote to give him a second term.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Mitt Romney • Politics

soundoff (2,087 Responses)
  1. geokchew

To everyone whole is going to vote soon....please go to plan parenthood and witness how they terminate a fetus especially those fetus that are already form with legs, hands and you can hear their hearts beat. And after that, then you tell me it is alright to kill that baby that fetus. There are thousands of couples out there that cannot have a child of their own, WOULD YOU find it in your heart to let them adopt your baby when the baby is born. We are all Children of God or Allah(God in Islamic religion). So please, do not kill them or throw them into the garbage bin!!!! If you do not want the baby, there are many organisations that will help you gets your baby adopted. All those childless couples and couples who wants more children -– who wants to make their family complete thank you. PS... Please do not smoke, drink and do drugs while you have that little heart beating in your tummy. I sincerely thank you .

October 21, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
  2. Casey

CNN: A 24 hour campaign comercial for President Obama. "We totally given up on actual journalism". ... This... is CNN.

October 21, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • IreneNY

Whine away.....The President has a better, more balanced plan. Romney's first agenda item is to cut his taxes and not have to pay any of those pesky taxes that keep this country running. The burden will fall on working class people, who will be getting vouchers instead of Medicare and beefing up Social Security is not in Romney's plan. Without the GOP obstructing everything our problems would be addressed and we would steadily grow. Republicans are showing their anti-American side these last four years. I'm voting for President Obama, the steady hand, the pragmatic and thoughtful leader.

October 23, 2012 at 10:10 am |
  3. Jolie

The choice is clear, President Obama for the next four, not because he is a very good president but because he is a man who know how to deal in the middle of where the peace is in need,

October 21, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Donnie

Maybe he'll hire you as his speechwriter.

October 21, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  4. Rhonda Law

I am also LDS and voted yesterday for ALL DEMOCRATS. I am an educator, Union President, and LDS. MY Dad was a Cowboy, Rancher, Horse Trainer, and a Strong Democrat, as well as LDS. The church teachers us to help those in need, but I don't see that with Mitt Romney.

October 21, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Casey

So... in other words... you're a Die-Hard Democrat. That's fine... just don't try to act like this decision was based on your faith. It is clear that Mitt Romney is a good and decent man.

October 21, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • IreneNY

Romney's goodness an decency is conditional. He loves his family and his church, loves this new capitalism of making money without producing anything, and his ego just enormous – loves himself very much. He does not love people who are poor, who have fallen out of the middle class in this economic collapse, the sick and the elderly, nor does his party. They have vilified people who struggle and kick them when they are down, even as they seek to grab all the monetary goodies for themselves. They do not sprinkle the masses with any gold dust, they hoard. Romney is not who we need leading the country, he would be a mistake.

October 23, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  5. bartolo

for all those that are against Mr Barack Obama our President you all mite want to go back 4 yrs back and see the victory of speech the president said on that nite of election.

October 21, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • David

Barack Obama will appoint judges who favor "gay rights" over religious freedom. Also, he's a politician; a bureaucrat. He creates jobs, by appointing random committees and creating useless government projects that taxes will pay for. He'll increase taxes on business owners, who will consequently be less inclined to hire more people. So who cares if middle and lower class people get tax cuts, because they won't have jobs, or they'll make less money. But Obama's friends' jobs will be secure as they are appointed and put on committees, and they won't lose their jobs if they are unproductive, because the government writes their check, not customers or consumers.

October 21, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
  6. Robbee24

Its been obvious for a long time that Brooks is an Obama fan. Pinning it down to two moments in the debate is an out and out lie. Read her interview with Judy Dushku. There you will see Brooks is a full fledged feminist who would think nothing of accepting the horrors of Obamas partial birth abortion position to advance her own agenda of feminism. Check out her interview with Bill Maher. You will see that Brooks is as hypocritical as they come. She now at the last moment wants you to believe its some economic epiffany when she spends het whole life supporting pro choice.

October 21, 2012 at 8:47 am |
  7. Jon

Joanna,

I find it hard to believe that you assert, however implicitly, to be the voice of mainstream mormonism. Your views are outside the teachings of the LDS prophets on nearly every count (and yes I do read your various posts throughout the internet). Most of the time I disagree with you strongly and feel you do not represent what it means to be Mormon. Trouble is you cannot see the forest for the trees. First, I agree that President Obama stepped into a firestorm of terrible economic realities when he came into office. He asked for that job. What has he done? Absolutely nothing to make the economy grow. You may cite the stimulus or TARP or even the "saving of GM" but these are not real solutions, and some would argue made things worse. Obama has done nothing but continue to amass a HUGE debt that my children and yours will have to bear. You claim to abhor debt as something instilled from your Mormon upbringing. I find this hard to believe if you are so comfortable with the debt the President has and continues to create. We simply cannot sustain this. Second, you cannot actually believe that the President has clean hands regarding the tragedy in Libya. I don't know what happened, but I do know that this president's administration tried to keep what really happened a secret from me for as long as they could. If this had been George W. you would be screaming bloody murder and calling for his ouster immediately. I do not care who you vote for, that is your sacred right, but to try and link your "mormon-ness" to your decision to vote for Obama seems rather disingenuous. Why don't you be honest and just tell us you are voting for Obama because your views are liberal like his and leave your religion out of it? I would be more inclined to believe you then. PS- everyone already knew you were voting for Obama...

October 21, 2012 at 3:50 am |
    • obibini

It amazes me when people in this country try to blame Obama for everything that is wrong with this country. Heck you elected Bush twice, that is what is wrong. Sometimes I feel like it is more about the man in the office than it is about the office. Bush signed the first wall street bail out and we had John do nothing Boehner ( what ever he is called) and all the GOP entourage behind clapping, but when Obama signed the Tarp and auto bail out, it became a different ball game forgetting that the white guys signed a similar thing months ago and they were all for it.
      You get a bunch of people elected to congress whose sole objective is block progress. The problem is these people know nothing about how a government should function. In a democracy, you win some,lose some and compromise for the good of the country but not these whack job republican "idiots"

October 21, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • swaff

Romney's big tax cut will end up adding to the deficit according to all non-partisan reports. We shouldn't be giving anyone,
      especially the millionaires and billionaires, a tax cut. Did Bush's tax cuts create jobs? Obama wants to allow those tax cuts to expire for the wealthy but not the middle class. Even Simpson-Bowles (supposedly the"moderate" solution) reports that we need to increase revenues while decreasing spending. In addition, Romney's plan is to cut, elminate the capital gains tax which will be a huge giveaway to the wealthy. Capital gains is a major source of income for the wealthy. They already don't pay any social security or medicare taxes on that income, but he wants to get rid of the income tax as well. I'm a middle class tax payer whose taxes would very likely go up under the Romney/Ryan plan. My income is low enough and
      my deductions high enough that the 20% tax decrease would not offset my loss of deductions. Of course, we're not sure
      exactly what deductions he will eliminate. The latest I heard is that he'll create a "bucket" that you can dump your deductions in, perhaps $25,000 or $17,000 (from a week earlier). He wants to deregulate Wall Street so we can go right back to the problems that got us into this mess. If you vote for Romney/Ryan, you're voting against the interests of the middle class.

October 21, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • geokchew

To all those who support Obama... Why haven't Obama throw all those who broke the law and caused the financial meltdown in jail? He had almost 4 years as President!!!!!! Or because he got so much political funding from the Wall street four years ago... Like a wise man said, You don't bite the hands that feed you!!!!!!

October 21, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
  8. Carl

Mt comment because I have nothing else to say as most posters . Vote and may the best man win. See all on 7 November. CC

October 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
  9. Ordinary Average American

With all the negative propaganda put out by liberal media and the DNC, the Republicans had to swim upstream and up waterfalls to demonstrate what an outstanding, yet humble man Mitt Romney is.
    You don't have to vote for him, but you owe him a chance. Romney has been honest with you, and Barack Obama has NEVER been honest with you or anyone else.

October 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Buuuulllllshiiiiit.

October 20, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • Damocles

Romney has been honest with me the same way that twit that offered to sell me some beachfront property in Arizona was honest.

October 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
    • Pat Bates

Mr. Romnesia is HONEST? That is a joke right? If not I have some oil wells to sell you.

October 21, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • NoFlipFlopper

Yes, Prehaps honest but, he just can seem to make up his mind for campaign speech to campaign speech, I'll take Mitt at his word,
      "If I told you what I was going to do, I would never get elected" Yes on that account I believe him! ..IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO BUY A SENATOR or the Presidency, YOU DON’T NEED A TAX BREAK..

October 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • IreneNY

I almost choked on my tea when you call Romney an honest man. He has lied so many times about everything, including his own multiple choice record, if he were Pinnochio his nose would be a full grown tree by now.

October 23, 2012 at 10:32 am |
  10. "Dreams From My Father" is now available on Netflix.

"Dreams From My Father" is now available on Netflix."

Watch it and decide the truth for yourself....

October 20, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • Koz

Have you actually read Barack Obama's book... I don't think so. You actually meant "Dreams from My Real Father" directed and produced by Joel Gilbert, a man who doesn't actually know the president nor has he ever met him in person. This film borders on paranoia of "communist" conspiracy.

October 21, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
  11. Get Real

No one disputes that for the most part members of the Mormon church are good people. However, no one can dispute the Mormon church is also a CULT! More so, no one can dispute that Romney is a liar, regardless of his religion.

October 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • fred

Tell me how he is a liar.

October 20, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • fred

A Christian is one who is a follower of Christ. Exactly to what extent does Mitt or Obama actually need to follow Christ to be Christian. Is the Westboro Baptist Church a cult, is it Christian?

October 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • Trevor Bryant

Mormonism IS a cult. Lots of cults claim to follow Jesus' beliefs, but that is not what makes them mainstream, or not a cult. A cult is exclusionary. They say "If you do not believe EXACTLY how we want you to, you are out. That means your family and friends MUST turn on you. Thou evil, non'believer, thou." Jesus taught you to take people in, not cast the out, and no religion tries to excommunicate you from your family... unless they are a cult. Not being open to the public makes them a cult. Hiding makes them a cult. Saying that 'only believers are really allowed in our church' makes them cult. I live in Arizona, where Mormonism has lived strong for 100 years and every street is named after one of them, and dated a Mormon (briefly), until their parents found out I was not Mormon and had no plans to become, and I was basically threatened by several "friends of the family" to stay away. Cult. Not bad people, but it IS a cult.

October 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Trevor Bryant

If Romney eliminates the capital gains taxes, HE, AND ALL HIS RICH FRIENDS, WILL BE PAYING ZERO, 0, NADA... IN TAXES... think about that. Romney wants to eliminate the few (as a percentage) taxes HE HIMSELF pays. Has said it several times. SO WHO DO YOU THINK WILL BE PICKING UP THE TAB??? Romney as President = Romney pays no taxes... gee, wonder why he is running... and not saying how he is going to pay for anything. BECAUSE HE WANTS YOU TO BE DUMB ENOUGH TO VOTE FOR HIM SO HE CAN GET OUT OF PAYING TAXES. He is counting on you to be mad enough at Obama, to slip him into the white house, so he never has to pay taxes again. This alone should make you not want to vote for him. But then you do not see, he is an opportunist, willing to tell you anything you want to hear to get elected... and people are not seeing through that... SAD!!

October 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • IreneNY

fred, don't be lazy. Just google Romney's lies and you will find a whole slew of them, hundreds of them. You only hear what you want to hear, true of most of us but Romney's lying is legendary at this point.

October 23, 2012 at 10:39 am |
  12. Ltr

Hmm ,sounds like some people need to read the bible and the book of Mormon before they say what Mormons believe and I am pretty sure the only one suitable for judging anyone else is God not individuals that think they are better than everyone else because they are the only "chosen ones" or that they feel they have been saved and can now chastise those around them in the name of Christ. True facts are WE (Mormons) believe in God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. We believe in the King James Version of the Bible as long as man has not changed it for its own good and has been interpreted correctly and the Book of Mormon which work together to give us the entire truth. Nope we are Not much of a cult nor are we dangerous in any way but if people really want to find out why we believe in three beings we can have someone stop by and share with you where it is found in the Bible and supported in the Book of Mormon. When it comes to Politics our church leaders clearly state that they let the people choose their own person to vote for and do no make a stance that we vote specifically on religious background. I choose Obama for the same reasons the lady stated above and those that judge me for being Mormon of voting for Obama should read their scriptures well because it sounds like you have skipped that part about who does the judging, or spreading hate rather than loving your neighbor, or spreading false things about your neighbor. Just things some might want to think about.

October 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • Get Real

Get REAL! You belong to a CULT! The only people that do not believe Mormons are a CULT are the Mormons. Check around, the rest of the Christian churches all AGREE! Having said this, as a group Mormons promote good values and morals, because Christians do not have a monopoly on being good people! But, DO NOT try to tell us you are CHRISTIANS, because YOU ARE NOT!

October 20, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • REMNANT0888

"Who do you say I am?"
      Jesus asked that question and I asked you.
      Jesus is GOD ..
      Mormonism doesn't teach that!
      You teach that man becomes god by good works .. your early leaders said .."AS god was so we shall be"....
      And JS and all Mormons believe you will become a god too.
      Your god the father was a man ..who became a god. You believe Lucifers first lie in the garden .." if you eat the fruit ...you shall be as God"
      It isn't orthodox christian beliefs ..so have fun with your fables of a fallen man.

October 21, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • newt

cult
      /kəlt/
      Noun
      A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object (Christ, God, Allah, Buddah,etc)
      A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or peculiar.
      Synonyms
      worship – religion – adoration

Hmmm, other than the, "relatively small group" part, I guess all religions are cults. Glad we cleared that up!

October 23, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  13. foxfire

I absolutely have no doubt that Obama is the best candidate. He thinks with his head and we all know the mess that was handed to him by the previous administration. This mess was 8 years of a failed adminstration wasting money and lives.

Even the Salt Lake City Newspaper endorsed him as the best choice.

October 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • jenna jackson

OMG! the salt lake city PAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      well, that it- we MUST do what THEY say....
      and of course the "mormon" bible-
      oh, what is a "progressive" mormon please ?

October 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • BG

Typical Obama fans.

"D'oh."

October 20, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  14. Sam Oommen

October 18, 2012 – Some thoughts as we move closer to Presidential Election.

Tagg Romney wants to 'take a swing' at Obama: Over the line?
    Romney Told Bosses to Tell Their Employees Whom to Vote For
    Ann Romney says, “This is the last campaign for them for the Presidency”
    These are the head-line news of the day. It is time for every American to take a pause, think and move forward. Think twice before you cast your valuable votes in the Presidential election 2012.
    We cannot restrict this year’s Presidential campaign just to one issue unemployment. All other issues such as, Economy, Foreign Policy, Healthcare, Energy, Education, Immigration Policy, etc. as important as unemployment. The question foremost and important is the Middle Class because the majority of Americans fall in the category. We need a President who cares for the Middle Class.
    The unemployment situation will improve and jobs will be created. We need to understand who is holding the job seekers hostage for their selfish motive. The Republican Agenda of “Obama one time President” will back fire and they need to answer to the people of American for holding them hostage.
    The Good News according to Ann Romney is that. We do not have to see Romney anymore after November 6, 2012. Tagg Romney said "he wanted to take a swing at Obama". Is that the family value Romney teaches, to take a swing at the President? Tagg says, "Obama called his father a liar". Is that true America? Obama said "that is not correct Romney". That is not calling a name as "liar". Romney was speaking untruth and flip-flopping for the last 3 years. Romney has contradicted all his statements he made at the Republican primary. Now he speaks in a different language and tone. This we call "a wolf wearing the fur coat of a lamp". America, Can we trust Romney? He did and spoke just opposite of what he said in the Republican primary. He will do the same after the Presidential election.
    But Romney’s wife knows that, Romney is not going to be elected. So she took early bail by the statement that "they will not be in for another try for Presidency. Thanks Ann Romney. Spare the Americans and let Obama continue his good and exceptional work to MOVE this Nation FORWARD.
    Romney now indulges in fear tactics on employees. Romney instructs Bosses to tell their employees whom to vote for. He also warns them of consequences if they do not. Are we living in an America where we speak of freedom and liberty? Do we have the freedom to vote for a President of our choice? Romney, now you are only a presidential candidate. How will you act and behave if you are elected as President. A dictator who dictates on the people of this nation. A boss who instructs that I want this to be done. We need a President for America. Not a Boss or Dictator. We do not need flip-flop. We do not need mistrust.
    America, please bear in mind these statements. It is not good for the Middle Class and Working Class. Do you want to earn decent wages for your hard work? Under Romney rule you will be denied a decent wage. Employee will be at the mercy of Employer. Romney will encourage the Employer to create an EMPLOYERS’ MARKET WHERE MIDDLE CLASS AND EMPLOYEES WILL SUFFER. Never will there be an employee/employer harmonious relation.
    Let us stick with Obama for four more years in the White House. Come out and let us vote for Obama. ANOTHER FOUR MORE YEARS FOR OBAMA AT THE WHITE HOUSE.

October 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm |

"Dreams From My Father" is now available on Netflix."

Watch it and decide the truth for yourself.

October 20, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • swaff

Romney and the Republican Party do not believe in a minimum wage or equal pay for women. Huge issues.

October 21, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • HS

Thank you so much for telling the truth. Obama 2012!!!

October 21, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • HS

Sam Oommen..thank you so much for telling the truth. Obama 2012!!!

October 21, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • newt

That is not correct, Sam. In fact, Obama has lied about Romney numerous times, and you are lying about him, too. Well either you are lying, or you think media sound bites and snippets count as actual truth, or you have zero reading comprehension skills. Pick one.

Ann Romney said if they lose, they won't do this again. So what?

Romney did not tell employers to tell their employees to vote for. He told employers it is not illegal to let employees know where you stand politically, and why. He didn't threaten anyone with "consequences," or tell anyone to. And his words are in response to the question, "is it illegal for an employer to share his political views with his employees?" Anyone with a third grade reading level can tell you that.

Upon reading your post again, I think it is pretty obvious that you lack reading comprehension skills. It might be useful if you would sit back and let the grown ups talk now.

October 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
  15. Sam Oommen

October 19, 2012 – Some thoughts as we move forward to Presidential Election 2012
    Mormon – The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints – is a religion or cult
    Billy Graham – the renowned Evangelist at his website had posted Mormon – The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints- as a CULT till the last week. The information is now removed by taking away ‘Mormans’ from the list of CULTs given in the website. They have given a clean chit to Mormon.
    1) Has God allowed anybody to be Judgmental or shift their stand to suite their personal agenda? That is what we see by the removal of Mormons from the list of Cults from the Billy Graham Website. It is so sudden, suggestive of the fact that it is intended only to extend support to Romney by Franklin Graham. By any means ‘my candidate’ should get more votes; faith and belief apart!
    2) The question here again is Mormon – The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints – are they acceptable to believers and faithful followers of Christianity. For all these years it was not and the stand now is shifted in October, 2012. Is Mr. Franklin Graham the sole judge for Faith and Cult? Is it not wisdom to reject Franklin’s suddenly changed opinion?
    3) Is our well listened and heard religious leaders ready to compromise with cults and even with devil to eliminate the will of the people with the only intention of defeating a candidate who has proven his worth and commitments?
    What is behind all the above? There is a well-organized and planned effort by the so called believers including the so called Evangelicals – some, wealthy and financially unscrupulous – to eliminate President Barrack Obama as a one time President by any means. Should we not put these people in their place using divine wisdom by rejecting their candidate?
    Should America be guided by them who changes convictions and opinions over night? It is time for all of us to resist this nexus of evil, and support our President Mr. Barrack Obama, by all means, for another term in the White House. Should the renowned and politically minded immigrants encourage this? There is hope and prosperity for the Middle Class only under Obama. Come out and vote in support of Obama
    This is another clear example where the elite in the Christian circles have closed their eyes towards the amazing way God's justice and fairness was carried out through the major reforms passed during Obama's first term in office. If we recite the Songs of Virgin Mary as used in our church liturgy, many truths will ring out in our minds; such as God's mighty works done through the meek and chosen in the society while the rich and mighty were cast away.

God has used Obama to speak for and to lift up the weak; the last; the least and the lost in the society. Justice and fairness to the middle class will come only from the Obama administration. We don't need to be included in the 47% of the society Romney was talking about behind the curtains. Let our religious leaders open their eyes and see how the Lord will carry out His justice for His people even though it may not be the way of the rich Republicans with their crooked minds envisioned.

Let us give Obama 4 more years to finish up the reforms Obama started in his first term in office. Let us spread this word to our countrymen as well.
    Easow Sam Oommen

October 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm |

"Dreams From My Father" is now available on Netflix.

Watch it and decide the truth for yourself.

October 20, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • Earthlady

Very well said Mr. Oommen.

As for the people talking about religion: Are we not all God's children? If this is so, then you must believe ALL PATHS LEAD TO GOD, it does not matter how you pray or the way you pray.....it doe matter that you believe.

October 21, 2012 at 4:05 am |
  16. WillieLove

This is plain and simple heresy. Nowhere does the Bible say or imply that God was ever a man, or that man can become God! Malachi 3:6 says, "For I am the LORD, I change not..." How could this be true if God was once a man? Genesis 1:1 states that God existed "in the beginning" before man was ever created. John 4:24 states that God is a "spirit," and Jesus tells us in John 1:18 that no man has seen God at any time. Numbers 23:19 says that "God is not a man that he should lie; neither the son of man that he should repent." God has always been God, and no one has ever "become" Go

October 20, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • wellthatsinteresting

By your logic, saying that Jesus is God is heresy. People saw his face. Ergo, Jesus was not God. Such a brilliant book, that Bible of yours.

October 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
  17. WillieLove

Mormons teach that man can become God, and that God was once a man:

"God himself, the Father of us all, is a glorified, exalted immortal resurrected man!" (Bruce McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, pp. 322-23, 517, 643)
    "...God himself was once as we are now and is an exalted man and sits enthroned in yonder heavens..." (Journal of Discourses, V6, P3, 1844)
    "As man is, God once was: as God is, man may become." (Lorenzo Snow, quoted in Milton R. Hunter, the Gospel Through the Ages, pp. 105-106)

October 20, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
  18. WillieLove

The Mormons deny the Trinity and the existence of a literal burning Hell, yet they promote polytheism (many gods), baptism for the dead, and the notion that Jesus and Satan were originally spirit brothers! Friend, make no mistake about it–Mormonism is a dangerous cult. In the eyes of man, the Mormons seem very respectable, but the light of God's word reveals the true wolves behind the sheep clothing. Jesus said, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." (Mat. 7:15) Don't look at their nice families, their clean-cut hair, and their friendly "missionaries." LOOK AT THEIR DOCTRINES! (I Tim. 4:1)

October 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • HERR LANGER

Willie – Are you aware that the Trinity his no basis in bibilical truth. Don't take my word for it go and study it for yourself. It has its origins in paganism.

A burning hell is also a pagan doctrine but since most people are told what the truth is and never study what is writtne for themselves, they actually believe this stuff.

You should really do your homeword before you attempt to criticize someone's beliefs.

October 20, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
  19. WillieLove

The Mormon book, The Pearl of Great Price, claims that all other Christian groups are "corrupt" and are an "abomination" in God's sight (Joseph Smith, 2:19). Such claims as this are based on the unscriptural assumption that the Lord Jesus Christ has a specific religious organization on the earth today, complete with a name, a membership, and a leadership, which makes up His "true church." This doctrine is found nowhere in God's word. Everyone who has received Christ as their Saviour is a member of His church, which is a spiritual body of born-again believers (Eph. 4:4; 5:23-32; Col. 1:18-24; Heb. 12:23; Rev. 19:7; 5:9-10; 21:9).

October 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  20. tskien

Why does everyone think that just because a person has the same religion as a candidate that they are suddenly an expert on that candidate? When Kennedy ran for president as a Catholic there were many Catholics that didn't vote for him, so why is so supprising that a fellow Mormon isn't planning on voting for the Mormon candidate? You certaintly can expect Harry Reid, another mormon, to vote for Romney just because of a mutual faith. The Mormon church does not tell its people how to vote, its founder Joseph Smith even said "I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves." When deciding who to vote for you need to pick the person that you believe will help the country the most, religion shouldn't matter at all.

October 20, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • swaff

Every "born-again" Christian or fundamentalist I know is voting for Romney. I find it interesting that Christians are voting for the Mormon rather than for the Christian, President Obama. I suspect it's mainly for two reasons, abortion and gay marriage.

October 21, 2012 at 8:09 pm |