home
RSS
My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama
October 18th, 2012

My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama

Editor's Note: Joanna Brooks is a senior correspondent for ReligionDispatches.org and author of "The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith."

By Joanna Brooks, Special to CNN

(CNN)–There are two moments and two moments only that made my soul sit upright during Tuesday night’s presidential debate:

President Obama, speaking about the loss of manufacturing jobs to low-wage economies like China: “There are some jobs that are not coming back.”

Obama, speaking about four lives lost in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya: “I am the one who has to meet those coffins when they come home.”

Morbid? Not at all. I’m just a believer in the gospel of hard truths.

And as I am the mother of two school-age children, a teacher at an underfunded public university and a progressive Mormon, hard truths about the challenges our nation faces are all that makes sense to me.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred.

As an educator, I have witnessed firsthand how failure to generate responsible levels of public revenue has significantly compromised generations’ worth of investment in our public schools and universities.

And as a Mormon, I grew up with a healthy sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. I was raised, after all, with a religious aversion to debt and a year’s supply of canned wheat, beans and powdered milk in the garage, as instructed by LDS Church leaders. The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community.

Profile of Brooks: Crossing the plains and kicking up dirt, a new Mormon pioneer

This nation is in a difficult season, and I listened carefully Tuesday night for a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. What I heard instead were the usual rhetorical swerves.

Mitt Romney offered personal anecdotes about “binders full of women” that have nothing to do with economic security for American families. He promised allegedly revenue-neutral $5 trillion tax cuts but refused to provide solid details on how he’d balance the books. And he made throwaway references to all people being the “children of the same God” without substantial reflection on how that should translate in terms of budget and policy.

What I really wanted from the debate was more of the hard truths that Obama seemed to be on the verge of saying:

“This recession is fundamentally different than other recessions, and there are no short-term fixes.”

“Our old strategies for managing Middle Eastern conflict through military intervention or propped-up dictators don’t work. And there is no easy way forward.”

“The only thing the $3 trillion Iraq war produced for the United States was a mountain of debt and a legion of disabled Americans.”

“We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.”

“Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

These are the kind of hard truths that speak to the same part of me that took notice when Obama at his inauguration quoted the Scripture: “It is time to put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13: 11).

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And given the challenges we face in bringing down deficits while investing sensibly in the nation’s future, here are some other Scriptures I’d like to hear:

“Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6).

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

Morbid? Not at all. But I do feel a sense of responsibility for keeping an eye on the worst-case scenarios. And a few months’ worth of rice and beans in the garage, like Mormon leaders teach me. And an ear out for the gospel of hard truths.

I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes. And I will vote to give him a second term.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Mitt Romney • Politics

soundoff (2,087 Responses)
  1. K

FYI, if you go to Romney's website he lays out in detail what his plans are in regards to what kinds of cuts he is planning to make and how he is planning to provide more jobs etc.. There is a long and short version. Also, please stop speaking in behalf of the church and the LDS religion. Just because you are a member does not give you the right to speak as if you are speaking in behalf of all members. We still grow up in individual families and cultures – even if we are Mormon. Every time I read something you write whether in your book or even hear you on TV, it drives me crazy because you phrase it as if you are the all knowledgeable Mormon that tells the world about all Mormons and interpret doctrine according to you. It has made me wonder if you are using the LDS religion solely to garner your own personal fame because Mormonism is a hot topic this election year. I really don't mind hearing yours or other's opinions no matter what religion or political opinions, I like and celebrate differences, but I don't like to be lumped in with your vision of how it is or was to grow up Mormon. It should be made much more clear that you don't speak for and in behalf or as the authority of the church or church members. You don't write them as if they are just your opinions, you write as if that is exactly the way things are for everyone in the Mormon religion and culture. You don't have the right to speak in behalf of the LDS. You are not the authority on the Mormon religion any more than any other member. It would also be important to add if you are making money by writing news pieces and appearing on shows if you are drawing a paycheck.

October 31, 2012 at 1:03 am |
    • tpicket2

K, you're out of line bad mouthing someone who has voiced their opinion about both politics and their own upbringing. It's folks like you who give the Mormon religion a reputation for hypocrisy. Your first 2 lines were good and credible – I might have even looked up Romney's pages, but. . . .you ruined it for me.

October 31, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
    • Geminiladi

She wasn’t speaking for ALL she was speaking as herself don’t agree with her view… that’s fine. For you to say/think she has no right to voice her opinion as a Mormon you are the one that has a problem not her!!

November 5, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
  2. Beechnut

Joanna,

Thanks for speaking the truth. There a lot of uneducated people comments that are posted on this site. It is sad. These rather a President that will lead us to war. A President pays less taxes than they do. A President that wants to outsource jobs to other countries. A president that want women to not have control of their own bodies. A president who wants insurance companies to stop insuring people who have pre-existing conditions. A President who does not want millions of people to gain insurance benefits. A President who wants women to continue to not get paid equal pay as men. A President lies he can ban abortions. There have been a number of Presidents: Nixon, Ford, Reagan and (2) George Bushs did not achieve this task. The question is, why would people want to vote for someone will move this country backward instead of forward? It is because of the hate of a black/white man in a office that had been "WHITE ONLY".

October 30, 2012 at 9:28 am |
    • Mona

Yes. I see it in my own relatives. It makes me sick and ashamed.

October 30, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
    • Amazed

Beechnut, I came into this election season with an open mind. I wanted to hear the full case of each candidate without prejudice & time and again I found that Romney simply has no core, no substance. He seems to change his stance on subjects based on the audience he is addressing. I, like you, can only come to one conclusion as to why anyone would vote for this guy. It is the painful truth that hatred is at the root of it all. So sad. Even when President Obama makes strides (and there have been many) there is a certain body of the population that never gives him the credit. He's got to be the hardest working president of my lifetime, and for that reason I will vote to re-elect Barack Obama.

October 31, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  3. I'm right

Decent article Joanna, but I question WHY your religion even needed to be a part of it... Simply because it is the same as the candidate you are NOT voting for? Anyway, the interesting parts I find in your article is when you say on several occasions, "I wish I would hear more.... from Obama. Well... there IS a reason why you don't and more importantly why you WONT. He says nothing. He is the master of speaking for an hour and saying absolutely nothing. Four years of broken promises and excuses is not going to change. More problems and more blame is the only future a Obama led United States is going to see.
    Sorry Joanna. But like you said, your kids deserve better than Obama. If you really want to bring your religion into it, then all you have to do is compare both candidates with a moral compass. Forget the issues. Forget the agendas. If you use that, which is the ONLY place religion has in politics it's a pretty easy choice, and it certainly will not lead you to Obama.

October 28, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  4. JoeVet

You have the privilege of voting your own conscience; we all do, or at least, we all should. However, You are proclaiming your vote for the least competent President in modern history, maybe the whole history of the US. This man sits around, watches, and lets things sort themselves out, then scoops up what credit he can. He has never demonstrated leadership; only that he would have failed Leadership 101, in which the main lesson is that a leader can delegate authority, but never responsibility. Mitt is a proven executive leader; after four years, the unvetted Obama still isn't. Time for a change!!!

October 28, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  5. glenda

Romney has already promised the people who stick with him, they will get fat cushy government jobs, with big salaries. Considering the majority of these people are former GW Bush workers and backers, if Romney wins, we're in big trouble, possibly going back to GW Bush days.

October 28, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • JoeVet

What a load of baloney. Where are your sources? Get used to saying it: PRESIDENT ROMNEY. You will be better off, we all will, regardless of those who are not yet bright enough to see it...

October 28, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • Fred

Good job of LYING there, glenda.
      Do you just make that crap up on your own or do you have
      the Kenyan's spin team helping you?

October 28, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
    • Mona

You will get the Romneybots out from under the rocks. They ignore his lies and changing in the wind according to who is listening to him. They don't care that he won't release his tax records for the last 10 years. Of course a person with just a little bit of common sense can make a reasonable assumption it's because he has something he wants to hide from the citizens of the United States. Otherwise he would have no problem releasing them. If we really knew the "real Romney" it wouldn't take long to decide he is a very greedy man. You will hear "he gave all his money to charity". He gave to the Mormon church and conservative think tanks, etc. Don't tell them to look this stuff up because they know it but won't admit it. He has no better ideas than our president on how to get us out of the hole the LAST Republican administration put us in. They will find all sorts of things to change or dodge the subject. If anyone were really educated they would listen to economic professors who KNOW about economics who would tell them it is going to take more than 3-4 years to get us out of this mess. Instead they spout all kinds of insults at the man who has been working diligently to get us past it. It does have something to do with who his parents were and what he is. They can try to hide it but it shows through more and more. Instead of being proud of themselves they should be very much ashamed but of course, they are not.

October 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • Mario

Great post and I agree !!!!

October 31, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  6. T

You only live once and then you die but try to speak more truth than lies when you are still alive because the legacy you leave behind shouldn't be about lies Romney changes his positions like Kansas weather( in Kansas they say if you don't like the weather stick around it will change.) Romney sound smart and intelligent but as the day goes by all he is telling me is anything but the truth just to get my vote I vote for him if he was sticking to his policies but eventually Obama tells more truth than Romney.. after-all its politics always vote for the lesser evil

October 28, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • Fred

The lesser evil? That's Romney.
      We've had four years of the Kenyan plan and it ain't working (much like a lot of Americans).

October 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
  7. Chris

I often see misrepresentations of both candidates. I hope my fellow Americans will take the time to do some research on some serious false statements before rushing to judgment. Whoever you vote for, consider that not everything you hear is true.

No, Obama did not increase the debt as much as everyone is claiming...part of the spending was carried over from Bush
    No, Mitt Romney is not an evil capitalist that seeks to destroy companies and evade taxes (you think the IRS would just let those millions go?)
    Yes, Obama is a US citizen and whatever you find in his transcripts will not be useful in any conspiracy
    No, Obama did not save the "auto industry." He supported Bush's bailout of 2 companies. There are at least 10 others in the industry.
    Yes Romney flip flops. So does Obama (they both flip flopped on Abortion)
    Yes, both will take us to war.
    Obama is not the champion of women's rights, he's done nothing especially for women. Nothing.
    Romney is not against women's rights. the "he wants to ban contraception" claim is ridiculous.
    They will both give A LOT of money to big business. (yes Obama will to..look at his stimulus)

October 25, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  8. Woody

I have a great amount pride for everything my country stands for. That being said, I am greatly disappointed in its people. I have read most of the responses to this article and all I see are fingers being pointed all sorts of directions aside from the direction that they should be pointed. We need to start asking ourselves "what I am willing to sacrifice for the betterment of our nation".Frankly, It is our fault that our country is the way it is. Tax cuts sound appealing because as individuals we can save more money. How does it help our country save money. During WW2 everyone sacrificed. Everyone had rations. Everyone cared more for their country than they did for themselves. We need that mentality back. Please stop bringing religion and race into a subject where they are completely obsolete. All those topics do is offend folks. When I voted, I based my decision strictly on which candidate has the most lose, and which candidate would focus on making my country better. Mr. Romney is worth millions of dollars, I think it is safe to say that every fiscal decision he makes will make his bank account bigger. Like tax cuts. Barack may not have the back ground Romney has nor the bank account but he is willing sacrifice for his country. He expects all of us to sacrifice and he should.

October 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • JoeVet

Your post started off great, but went haywire in the middle. Quit buying that false charicature of Romney that Obama's campaign spent the past year creating. It is patently false, and you should have seen that from the first debate on. Romney was successful in business, that much is true. He cares more about this country than Obama does. Obama puts politics ahead of national security, and lies like a patholigical demon about Romney and Romney's plans. There is no integrity in Obama; only the desire to survive politically. He hasn't done the job of leadership. He really is an EMPTY CHAIR, and that is something Mitt would never be. Mitt cares far more about his fellow citizens than you are willing to credit him for, and no, every decision he makes WILL NOT fatten his bank account. Get off the Kool-Aid, please!!!

October 28, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Romnesia

JoeVet. Is someone paying you to write this nonsense?

November 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  9. newt

I keep reading comments from the diehard Obama fans who claim that Romney lies. What proof do you have? There is absolute proof that Obama lies (I am happy to give references if you have a reading comprehension level above a third grader's) but what proof, other than hearsay, do you have that Romney lies?

October 23, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
    • TEA

Could somebody please pop this person's Neo-Con bubble that they're living within? You can't say True and False and not have one of them be a lie.

October 24, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • Diana

Try readjusting your tinfoil hat – sounds like your reception is clearly fuzzy.

October 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • JoeVet

Great post. Obama's campaign spend tens of millions and over a year creating a false charicature of Romney, and many of these Lib bubble-dwellers still don't get it. Wake up, people. The future of this nation lies with Mitt, not another ruinous four years of absent leadership. Obama didn't even get UBL without the Bush/Cheney intel that Obama himself opposes. What a hypocrite.

October 28, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Daniel

Yes Romney never lies...he just retroactively adjusts things so that they fit his version of the truth

good luck with that

October 30, 2012 at 7:12 am |
    • Romnesia

OK. Post away. There are plenty of clips when Romney has flip-flopped on abortion, gun control, health care, gays in the military, and more.
      He still hasn't shown his tax returns pre UBS-amnesty. I wonder why.

November 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  10. Tense2012

Wow ! CNN with a pro-obama article. All john king and Wolf tell us is how great Romney is.
    Their debate Poll is rigged ( more republicans voting in CNN poll), They never want to call out the truth and always run around the bushes.
    Romney hasnt done anything credible. Schools in MA were ranked higher because of the work done by Governer before him. Olympics was still a big loss to USA (239 million), he used to work for Bain – which flipped companies just like flipping houses( buye a struggling company for cheap and sell its assets and fire its employeees), obviously Romney has no clue on foreign policy ( he went to Israel but just to raise cash .. dont even visit the places which are hit by Hamas. ) .. so in all people – Look at the records. Dotn blame Obama for bad economy. Europe economy played a big role in recovery not to mention the republican congress didnt pass a single jobs bill that president sent over.

October 23, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • jj

Obama will be our next president, we stick together and BLACK will be back..............

October 23, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • newt

in case you missed it, jj, Obama is black and WHITE. Though why you feel the need to bring up his race, I have no idea. I was under the impression that people who were voting for Obama were voting for him because he has been such a stellar president, and NOT because he is half black. I am certain that if Obama didn't have any African American blood you would still be voting for him, right? Because your vote has nothing at all to do with his race, right? It all has to do with all the great things he has done in the last 4 years, right?

October 24, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • JoeVet

Yes, the CNN poll is rigged, to lie for Obama. How else could it possibly show that he was still two points up in Ohio. Obama is toast there and in PA. It's not even going to be as close as some of you think. Romney will have over 300 electoral votes. Not enough people buying Obama's LIES about Romney, and it's a good thing. Obama doesn't have a SHRED of integrity, and you want this azzclown to keep the nuclear briefcase for another four years? No, thanks!!

October 28, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
  11. ejoycem

http://youtu.be/5t6t113syr0 Romney's truth.

October 22, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
  12. Consequence

Here's a kook who bets Obama's "truths" are better than Romney's "truths" – what we can all plainly see is that Romney has a far better record of excellence in all walks of life than Obama ever had. The real question is why Obama was ever elected in the first place with a blank slate of executive experience, a shallow dip of political experience having lost to Bobby Rush and winning a virtually unopposed Senate seat and a lowly career in the Illinois State Senate. The answer is basically ego, choreography and a silver tongue. That silver tongue promised so much and delivered so little – the hype alone turned temporarily brain dead voters into obama groupies. i hope they are now recovering from this journey with alice through wonderland.

October 22, 2012 at 11:01 am |
    • KK Denver

Obama's excellence is FAR superior to Romney's as he is a selfmade man of impeccable integrity.

October 22, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • mike

What are you talking about? Romney hasn't done anything of substance his entire life. Nor does he have any integrity. Have you lost your mind? Gambling with other peoples money in win/win situations is neither work or moral.

October 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • DB

Are you being sarcastic? Romney has accomplished nothing in his life except destroying American companies, eliminating thousands of American jobs, and shipping millions of dollars to foreign banks to avoid his responsibilities as an American citizen.

October 23, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • newt

Oh look it's the, "Romney destroys companies," argument.

DB, have you ever even looked at the companies Romney, "destroyed?" Companies that were already going bankrupt, companies that didn't have a snowball's chance of staying together, companies that were falling apart... those companies were destroying themselves. Can you name one company that was successful and thriving that Romney destroyed? No? How shocking.

Do you have any evidence that Romney is trying to avoid his American duties? No? Are you just spouting out some snippets you heard on MSNBC? Shocker.

I can present you with absolute proof that the Great Obama is a flat out liar. Would that matter to you? Or are you, like the rest of the sheep, too blinded to see the truth?

October 23, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • JoeVet

Great post. It is very true that Obama was NEVER VETTED. He was never a proven leader, and after four years, this is STILL TRUE, sadly. Clint Eastwood had it right; he's an empty chair, lives to vote "present" and watch from the sidelines on major issues, then sees what credit he can scoop up when everything sorts itself out. He has spent the last four years doing the opposite of what was needed to recover. He couldn't have bragged about getting UBL except for the Bush/Cheney intel that led to him over the course of five or six years. It is time to show Obama to the pasture.

October 28, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • JoeVet

kk, Mike, and DB above: No wonder they follow Obama; their mental compass is 180 degrees off!! They are calling Mitt the liar and praising the pathological liar Obama. Talk about surrendering up all of your credibility!!! Sad that so many cretins in this country are so easily manipulated by the lying Chicago political machine and it's incompetent point person. All Mitt did was reach accross the aisle to turn a deficit into a surplus in MA, save the Winter Olympics, and build several iconic American companies these bozos probably shop at while badmouthing Mitt. Pathetic!!!

October 28, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • Romnesia

newt. That's not true. VCs don't just take failing companies. Bain's record was about 22% failure. Don't forget that Romney's Olympic. Romney said before Sandy that he'd cut FEMA's budget by 20% so he's still got time to flip-flop on that as he has done on almost all policy statements.

November 1, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • Romnesia

That was meant to say
      newt. That's not true. VCs don't just take failing companies. Bain's record was about 22% failure. Don't forget that Romney's Olympic success was funded by Federal government. Romney said before Sandy that he'd cut FEMA's budget by 20% so he's still got time to flip-flop on that as he has done on almost all policy statements.

November 1, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
  13. Rick

"God Damn America!" -the Prophet Jeremiah (Jeremiah Wright)

This is Obama's "christianity"

October 22, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • bill constantine

You must have rocks in your head or your back yard? which is it?

November 1, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  14. Rick

Gee....imagine an anti-Romney, pro-Obama article on CNN!

October 22, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • KK Denver

Are the presidents statements truthful or not, that is the point. He is by far the better of the two men.

October 22, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • JoeVet

KK, what are you on, or what planet do you live on? Romney is the better, more sincere man, hands down! If you can't see it, you have let yourself be too easily manipulated by the tens of millions of dollars worth of lies about Mitt that Obama's campaign has spent the past year broadcasting. Fortunately, you are apparently in the minority as a Chicago machine Kool-Aid drinker.

October 28, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • Romnesia

JoeVet. Romney has changed position on all policy issues, often twice. Both campaigns have issued misleading ads and statements so that dog don't bark.

November 1, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
  15. MFVJR

It's difficult and hard to speak the truth because truth hurts. Between the two presidential protagonist, Obama seem to appear truthful and honest than Romney. Obama's first term is there for all to see and analyze. His first term might not able to fulfill all his promises made during the 2008 campaign but he's darn trying his best. And he is not perfect. For Mr. Romney, he's attacked repeatedly about Bain and his taxes but he would not explain it himself,' by his own words what really is the truth about those. Is he hiding information from the American electorate? May be, Mr. Romney is afraid that by making those information public he will be less electable. But the more he will be truthful and honest the more he will be liked and electable.

October 22, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • newt

And Obama had been asked repeatedly to explain his position about Libya, the military, the economy, why women are paid less than men in the White House, why a large majority of the "green" energy companies he invested OUR tax dollars in have declared bankruptcy, etc, and he has failed to answer any of those questions, too. But why listen to the truth when media sound bites and snippets are so much more convenient?

October 23, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
    • justin smith

I am really amazed that people actually believe that Obama has tried his hardest. If he had even tried half-heartedly he would have reached across party differences instead of constantly blaming them for the "reason" he failed to bring Americans together for the good of AMERICA! His constant barrages against the Republican party were a constant source of Divisive and deliberate actions to blame others for his inability to try and work together. His pride and unyielding persistence to see things only from his own perspective is appalling and the FACT that many are just not seeing thru the truth is disheartening. His plan is based on socialism and is killing America. This country was founded With the intent of FREEDOM and Justice FOR ALL. Did you know that Mr Obama has signed a bill that will allow any AMERICAN to be detained for no reason or charge being filed, Be held indefinitely without due process of law, Not be allowed counsel, Be interrogated as a terrorist would!?!?!?! I am in danger of being held under this law just for opposing this treasonous and socialistic minded threat to American freedom! I just hope enough people wake up before this Hitler style leader takes us beyond the point of no return! I am so scared for America. This article claimed to be written under the guise of being a "Mormon" is blasphemous at the very least. I challenge the writers ability to clearly state her case unbiased and plead with her to exercise her faith and get down on her knees and actually pray for guidance as she should have understood was the true way of the Mormon religion and stop relying on her so called intellect consisting of biased media she has been bombarded with and "WAKE UP FROM THE DEEP SLEEP OF THE DECEIVER" Thank you for the freedom to be able to speak my mind and use my 1st amendment rights while I still have them!

October 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  16. Madge

I won't say I "disagree" with your religion, Joanne because I think that's a cop out. I do not share your faith, however it is really great for people to see that Mormons are no crazier than Christians, Muslims or Jews. If we are all to look at our faiths from a purely rational view, then we are all stark raving mad. Logical people have always been able to come to different conclusions, but it's even funnier that those of us with seemingly opposite faiths can still come together politically for the good of the country. It's a sign of a country that is still growing up, a country that is slowly but surely recognizing the inherent value of all of its citizens, not just the ones who seem "normal" – whatever that really means. Great article.

October 22, 2012 at 10:06 am |
  17. mikola

You may be Mormon and you may be voting for Obama, but you and the one or two other Mormons like you are in the minority.

October 22, 2012 at 9:58 am |
    • Bill

There are many more than one or two of us. It is true that Mormons are generally conservative, but there are plenty on the other side of the aisle as well. Voting for candidate simply because of their religion is as offensive as not voting for a candidate based on their religion. It is irresponsible.

The official Mormon Church standard is one of political neutrality, except in very unique and specific cases of certain issues. Their neutrality on candidates is completely genuine. I am a Mormon, living in Utah, in a position of leadership in my local congregation, and I will not be voting for Mitt Romney.

October 24, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
  18. Robyn123

Great article Joanna!

October 22, 2012 at 8:15 am |
    • maivis

I agree, great article...Joanna ...Romney has a hidden "Binder" somewhere...I can not read him and that is not good.

October 23, 2012 at 7:35 am |
  19. Betty

Who cares what religion one is, we all bleed the same eat the same, are born the same, and the sooner mankind learns we are our brother's keeper the better off man will be . Mit may be Morman but he sure ain't his brother's keeper. " I don't care about the poor there are programs for them . 47% of the middle class are victims. they will vote for the president because they need him. They are not interested in taking responsibility for themselves." I heard and saw this video and heard Romney say these thoughtless things. DO YOU AS AMERICANS WANT THIS RICH THOUGHTLESS MALE IN THE White House? WAKE UP AMERICA! The world is depending on you.

October 22, 2012 at 2:57 am |
    • newt

Betty, that isn't quite what Romney said. This campaign seems to be full of things that aren't quite what Romney said, but sure make him look like a jerk. In the actual context of his speech, what he said was that a lot of people are dependent on govt handouts and will vote for Obama no matter what. He was saying that it doesn't matter what Romney does, those people will not change their minds. He was saying that because they won't change their minds he wasn't going to worry about getting their vote. Did you watch the entire speech, or just the snippets they show in the media that are cut to make Romney look like a jerk?

October 23, 2012 at 11:24 am |
  20. bakum

It is fascinating to watch every internet post on Mormonism devolve into nutjobs yelling at each other over which flavor of made up craziness is a cult and which is the real deal. You people are ALL INSANE.

October 22, 2012 at 1:48 am |
    • Reformer

And what about you Bakum, you think you are any better? Take a side and not just be a spectator!

Great article Joanna! Vote Obama!

October 22, 2012 at 12:31 pm |