home
RSS
My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama
October 18th, 2012

My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama

Editor's Note: Joanna Brooks is a senior correspondent for ReligionDispatches.org and author of "The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith."

By Joanna Brooks, Special to CNN

(CNN)–There are two moments and two moments only that made my soul sit upright during Tuesday night’s presidential debate:

President Obama, speaking about the loss of manufacturing jobs to low-wage economies like China: “There are some jobs that are not coming back.”

Obama, speaking about four lives lost in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya: “I am the one who has to meet those coffins when they come home.”

Morbid? Not at all. I’m just a believer in the gospel of hard truths.

And as I am the mother of two school-age children, a teacher at an underfunded public university and a progressive Mormon, hard truths about the challenges our nation faces are all that makes sense to me.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred.

As an educator, I have witnessed firsthand how failure to generate responsible levels of public revenue has significantly compromised generations’ worth of investment in our public schools and universities.

And as a Mormon, I grew up with a healthy sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. I was raised, after all, with a religious aversion to debt and a year’s supply of canned wheat, beans and powdered milk in the garage, as instructed by LDS Church leaders. The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community.

Profile of Brooks: Crossing the plains and kicking up dirt, a new Mormon pioneer

This nation is in a difficult season, and I listened carefully Tuesday night for a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. What I heard instead were the usual rhetorical swerves.

Mitt Romney offered personal anecdotes about “binders full of women” that have nothing to do with economic security for American families. He promised allegedly revenue-neutral $5 trillion tax cuts but refused to provide solid details on how he’d balance the books. And he made throwaway references to all people being the “children of the same God” without substantial reflection on how that should translate in terms of budget and policy.

What I really wanted from the debate was more of the hard truths that Obama seemed to be on the verge of saying:

“This recession is fundamentally different than other recessions, and there are no short-term fixes.”

“Our old strategies for managing Middle Eastern conflict through military intervention or propped-up dictators don’t work. And there is no easy way forward.”

“The only thing the $3 trillion Iraq war produced for the United States was a mountain of debt and a legion of disabled Americans.”

“We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.”

“Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

These are the kind of hard truths that speak to the same part of me that took notice when Obama at his inauguration quoted the Scripture: “It is time to put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13: 11).

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And given the challenges we face in bringing down deficits while investing sensibly in the nation’s future, here are some other Scriptures I’d like to hear:

“Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6).

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

Morbid? Not at all. But I do feel a sense of responsibility for keeping an eye on the worst-case scenarios. And a few months’ worth of rice and beans in the garage, like Mormon leaders teach me. And an ear out for the gospel of hard truths.

I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes. And I will vote to give him a second term.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Mitt Romney • Politics

soundoff (2,087 Responses)
  1. Susanna

Another liberal Saul mad because someone doesn't think like him! Let her vote the way she wants, it's America! I voted for Obama and this time I'm not! He's done nothing for our economy and 41% of adults are out of work! I think Romney might bring us "binders full of jobs" it's worth a try. We can only go up from here!

October 18, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • mama k

Quick-fix Susanna thinks you can solve the nation's problems as if you are shooting up some kind of drug. Sadly, there are many that feel the same, and don't understand investment, and career building, and planning. Knee-jerk is what they grew up with and I guess that's all they know.

October 18, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • ed galbraith

And binders full of right wingers yo the S. Court.

October 18, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  2. Wes Scott

Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are a prime example of politicians who will invoke the name of Jesus and their religion to score political points while turning a blind eye to what Jesus actually taught and did in his life. Jesus taught us that we ARE our brother's keeper. Jesus taught us that we ARE to honor our father and our mother. Jesus taught us that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Jesus taught us to judge not, lest ye be judged. Jesus taught us, at the sermon on the mount, that we are to share what we have with others so that all may eat.

None of what Jesus taught us is reflected in the policies and philosophies of the Ayn Rand loving, "I got mine, so you get yours", hate-filled agenda of Romney and Ryan. Jesus also taught us to be truthful, something else where the teachings of Jesus and the politics of Romney/Ryan are mutually exclusive.

Many times I have stated that I do NOT like Obama, and that I wish somebody else (other than McPalin) had been elected. But, as bad as he is, and he IS bad, I still prefer Obama and his occasional attempts to do what is right over the Neanderthal, fascist policies of Romney/Ryan, so I will hold my nose and vote for Obama. And, I will sincerely hope that our nation starts to think of what is in our best interest as a nation rather than in partisan political terms based upon illiterate, uneducated and divisive personal agendas.

If we truly believe our nation is heading in the wrong direction, then let's remove 100% of all sitting Senators and Representatives and give ourselves new leaders in Congress who care more about the nation's business and needs than about having political power for their party! THAT would make a real difference. We need people who, after an election, get down to working together rather than saying "I will work to make sure Obama is a one-term president."

October 18, 2012 at 10:59 am |
    • Chris

Wes, you have the right idea. I do wish we could send them all home and start over with term limits. I will vote for Obama, too, again. I don't see putting in yet another person who will continue policies that began the economic avalanche and even worse policies on top of that. You hit a homer about the only purpose they seemed to have was to make Obama a one term President and they have proven to be the most obstructionist Congress, I believe, in history. They will not pass anything which will give any positive light to Obama.

October 18, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  3. luckjoe

Ms. Brooks writes, " I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen face hard truths and accept there are no easy fixes". This Methodist has seen Obama divide our great country with class warfare, lie and blame everyone but himself. I will vote for Romney.

October 18, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • SkepticalOne

After Romney's 47% comment you accuse Obama of class warfare? Perhaps you should take off those blinders and have a second look.

October 18, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • WachetAuf

Do you believe that anyone who stands up for principle will not divide people? Only an unprincipled man with a low self-esteem and a co-dependent personality will fit your standards of leadership. Obama is no a dictator or magician or sorcerer. We were divided before Obama took office. We are an intentionally divided by design. We have an executive, a legislative and a judicial branch. We have 50 states. There are 535 members of Congress and nine on the Supreme Court who are equally responsible. Mr. Romney himself wants to defer responsibility for dealing with the debt to the Congress where there will surely be a huge divide. Congress will own the budgeting issues, not Romney. In that instance Romney is clearly leading from behind. You want your mother to comfort you? Then go back home and jump back into her womb. Jesus himself divided this world, when he was on Earth and today. He taught some very hard truths which 99.9% of the world do not yet comprehend or attempt to integrate into their lives.

October 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  4. Nietodarwin

Glad she will vote for Obama, but mormons have a teaching called "Lying for the Lord" (Google it) Google "The White Horse Prophecy" The more one learns about this "religion" or cult, the more one is REPULSED by these mentally ill people.

October 18, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • yacon

You could apply the same cherry-picking technique to mocking any religion with the intent to misinform. I see the same behavior in the present political climate–both sides seeking how to best mischaracterize the tenants of the other side.

October 18, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • Warren

You're crazy. Neither of these so-called "teachings" are LDS Church Doctrine. What is really sad is when people don't take time to get to know the actual beliefs of someone else and believe that they can assert that all the things you find uing Google are true. Those who are closed-minded are the "mentally ill" ones.

October 18, 2012 at 11:10 am |
  5. Puddin

Really, Romney's "47% tape" is all a wise person needs to know whom to vote for. You immediately know a persons's heart when someone speaks when he thinks no one is looking and listening. That tape removed all doubt for me. Additionally, I still wonder what Ann Romney meant in an interview she was a part of when she said "she had no doubt Mitt could do the job as president, but I worry about his mental state." If she knows he has a serious mental problem, she should let it be known. Lord knows, we don't need another catastrophe (sp?); we've suffered enough from the one George Bush created. I can't believe she wants to be FLOTUS that bad.

October 18, 2012 at 10:58 am |
  6. Washingtonian

If you are a Mormon, wife and educator – you are misguided. We are heading towards a socialist society on this path.

October 18, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • midwest rail

Socialist society ? We've been there for decades.

October 18, 2012 at 10:59 am |
    • Wes Scott

It is far better that we are heading toward socialism than toward the fascism of the GOP! The whole world already fought one very nasty war to end fascism, and we do not need the GOP bringing it back. It helps to remember that the Bush family (Prescott Bush and George Herbert Walker) were the directors of Union Banking Corporation of NYC whose assets were seized by the US Congress for violations of the Trading with Enemies Act because they were financing and supplying NAZI Germany 11 months after German soldiers were killing American soldiers in combat. THAT is the the true nature of the GOP, which is why it always starts wars somewhere.

Fascism is a political philosophy where a few corporations and wealthy individuals control government, usually through a military industrial complex that profits from war regardless of who wins or loses. That is why Fascist George W. Bush put us in two unfunded wars and it why Fascists W. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan want to put us in a war in Iran.

October 18, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • WachetAuf

You are merely parroting the garbage which has been fed you. We do have social programs to help to poor, disabled an elderly. Even Bush II expanded Medicare to include drug benefits. We are still the strongest wealthiest capitalist economy oin earth. No one will take that away. No one. Romney himself is telling us that he will strengthen Medicare. Our argument is not about economic theory and ideology. Our argument is where to strike the proper balance. There are some idiots out there who espouse one ideology or another, Milton Friedman, Ayn Rand, Marx. That is all behind us. We have struck a proper and practical balance and it has worked very well.

October 18, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  7. Believer

Jesus is for honest hard work and personal responsibility - Jesus is NOT for lazy victims depending on the state for free handouts in name of COMPASSION. That is not real COMPASSION. Compassion is for our eternal soul and its eternal benefit. Jesus wanted to transform individuals and set personal examples - you need to go help your neighbor and poor either directly or through charities you can set up. Not that you become lazy and outsource your "personal example" to the state - waiting for the state and depending on the state for what you need to in your personal life. Honest hard work to make an honest living and help others to the best of your capacity.

October 18, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • tallulah13

Perhaps if those good christian CEOs would stop outsourcing jobs and cutting wages for remaining employees while giving themselves millions of dollars in bonuses, there wouldn't be so many needy people. Some of the greediest, most destructive people are the same ones who shout "Praise the Lord!" the loudest.

October 18, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • Chris

Wow, what a Believer you are. You sound like Paul Ryan, an Ayn Rand believer. Let your neighbor and charity take over helping others? You are living a pipe dream. Tell me, how can a mentally ill person pay for medication costing over $1658 a month? For Psychiatric bills at $120 a visit (allowed 5 per year). I worked in the field of Social Work for over 25 years. I would contact churches about assisting with meds. The local churches finally got together and I then had to call the ministerial association. They might pay for someone's meds under $50 if that person was deemed "worthy", going to church, nice person going through bad times. Obviously, you have never met anyone who needed to ask for food from neighbors because they had a few days before their Social Security disability check arrived. Begging... people don't like it. Try some empathy and put yourself into someone else's place. People I know are embarrassed to use their food stamp EBT card and they seem to be treated differently by some people because obviously, if you are getting them or any part of the 5 year limit of welfare, you are a moocher of society. It does sound like you are an Atlas Shrugged fan, just like Ryan. There are many people in our country who need assistance and you say go elsewhere for it because you don't want the gov't to pay for it. There are not enough churches and neighbors to pay for that. I pay more in percentage than Mitt and the one percent. I am proud since it means that we made quite a bit of money. Not enough for Mitt's middle class, but enough for the real middle class. My middle class family will vote for the person who has shown for years his ability to care for others who are the least of these and it is not Mitt Romney. Obama 2012.

October 18, 2012 at 11:25 am |
  8. ed galbraith

And the Mittens now has the blessing of Billy Graham who officially removed Mormonism from his cult list. WHAT A RELIEF FOR MORMONS!!

October 18, 2012 at 10:56 am |
    • Warren

Yes, as if we needed his endorsement to feel justified! Whoo, what a relief. I feel much better.

October 18, 2012 at 11:13 am |
  9. TrickleDownIsDead

Romney has no plan for job creation aside from "trust me". No offense, Mitt, but you're the last person I would trust. Rudy Giuliani had it exactly right when he called Romney "a man without a core, a man without substance, a man who will say anything to become president of the United States."

On the other hand, President Obama's American Jobs Act would have created 2 million jobs. Republicans blocked it for petty political reasons. Here's are some of the extremely balanced & reasonable things that are in it:

-Cutting the payroll tax in half for 98 percent of businesses
    -A complete payroll tax holiday for added workers or increased wages
    -Cutting payroll taxes in half for 160 million workers next year
    -Extending 100% expensing into 2012
    -Reforms and regulatory reductions to help entrepreneurs and small businesses access capital.
    -A "Returning Heroes" hiring tax credit for veterans
    -Modernizing at least 35,000 public schools across the country
    -Immediate investments in infrastructure and a bipartisan National Infrastructure Bank, modernizing our roads, rail, airports and waterways while putting hundreds of thousands of workers back on the job.
    -prevent 5 million Americans looking for work from losing their unemployment insurance
    -Work-Sharing: UI for workers whose employers choose work-sharing over layoffs.
    -A $4,000 tax credit to employers for hiring long-term unemployed workers.
    -Prohibiting employers from discriminating against unemployed workers when hiring.
    -Expanding job opportunities for low-income youth and adults through a fund for successful approaches for subsidized employment, innovative training programs and summer/year-round jobs for youth.
    -Allowing more Americans to refinance their mortgages at today’s near 4 percent interest rates

Pretty common-sense stuff. Should have and would have been passed if the Republican party hadn't been taken over by Rush Limbaugh and the tea party extremists.

October 18, 2012 at 10:56 am |
    • WachetAuf

Romney has one and only one "belief", not a plan, a "belief". His belief is that of Milton Friedman and Ayn Rand that cutting taxes will grow the tax base by increasing the amount of money in the hands of businesses who will invest it in their businesses. It does not work. Bush II tried it. It failed. In the first four years of his presidency after cutting taxes, tax revenues decreased every year. If that holds true in a Romney presidency his entire first term will increase the annual deficit. Our debt will be at least $20 trillion. We know that is what his economic philosophy is BUT, we don't know if that is what Romney will do. BECAUSE, he also says that the taxes on the wealthy will not decrease. We can assume there will be no more tax cuts for the middle class either. They are cut to the bone. So, if this latter model is what will be enacted then the trickle down theory will not be implemented. Taxes and revenues will stay the same. On the one hand he is promoting trickle down, supply side, and on the other he is failing to implement trickle down at all. Romney wants to have it both ways. He is deceitful. After the election he will have it only one way. Which will it be? What he is really doing is leading from behind by deferring to Congress, as he has said. That is what he has told us. He has no plan but to pass it off to Congress to come up with a plan. Congress' popularity rating is at 8%. Go figure.

October 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  10. Nietodarwin

Romney will NOT win this election. He was a moron to pick the ultra right Ryan, (main general in War on Women.)
    What is scary is that there are enough stupid racist people to make this a close election.
    There is NO god, religion does not belong in politics. "Jesus is Lord" just makes folks bored. Braise the lord, serve with veggies, get your religion OUT of our government

October 18, 2012 at 10:56 am |
    • AgentProvoca

Mr. Nietodarwin: you can HOPE for a miracle that might help President Obama win, but his record certainly isn't going to get him reelected.

Your assertion that religion does not belong in politics is sort of close to the truth, but you're clearly having trouble grasping reality. The truth is that a politician who brainwashes his followers with a ruse of CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN, and fails to deliver on that promise, should not be this country's president.

Also, your comments about God and religion provide further insight on Obama worshippers. All U.S. currency (coins and bills) include the statement "In God We Trust." Your savior in the White House has shown during the past 4 years that we can't trust him to restore the economy, or improve our prospects for earning the money we need. Millions upon millions of Americans have endured severe financial hardship under the leadership of your false prophet (a fact clearly evidenced by the 23 million unemployed people in the country, and the 47 million people on food stamps, and twice the amount of national debt, and a significant fall in economic growth, and decreased numbers of college students, etc., etc, etc.). Most voters think of paradise as something very different from that.

The inevitable outcome of this election will be determined by these two factors:
      1. Obama didn't get the job done
      2. Romney has what it takes to accomplish the job

No one should be surprised when Romney is elected on November 6.

October 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
  11. Robert

What do we care what a "fringe Mormon" thinks? Where did CNN dig up this woman? What I'd like to hear from are the millions of rank and file faithful Mormons to see what percentage of them are voting for Obama.

October 18, 2012 at 10:54 am |
    • Rich

Exactly what I was thinking....

October 18, 2012 at 11:01 am |
  12. tallulah13

Good article, and it sums up why I will be voting for Obama as well. Not the mormon thing, but the fact that he understands that getting the US our of our financial woes will be time consuming and will require sacrifice. Romney offers nothing but the same failed policies that got us into this mess.

October 18, 2012 at 10:54 am |
    • yacon

Failed policies of both sides made our crisis. We built up to it through the decisions of multiple political parties, CEOs, bank loans made and taken, terrorist attacks, wars, tax cuts, tax increases, and many others. How can either side play this kind of blame game knowing all the facts? By the same token, I see that both sides bring something to the table that could help with this crisis. Both sides are working tirelessly to mischaracterize the other side. I want to hear real solutions, and I'm not hearing them.

October 18, 2012 at 11:01 am |
    • tallulah13

The policies of the current administration staved off a devastating depression brought on by the economic policies of the previous administration. Romney wishes to return to the policies that almost destroyed this country. Trickle-down economy has NEVER worked, unless you are in the top tier, and this country will not be strong until the middle class is restored. I know where my vote is going.

October 18, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  13. AgentProvoca

This election is not about religion. The main problem on everyone's mind is the economy. Romney will be elected because:

1. Obama didn't get the job done
    2. Romney has what it takes to accomplish the job

The end of Obama's "CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN" era is a win-win for all concerned: Obama gets to move back home to Chicago, and the country gets a new president.

No one should be surprised on November 6 when Romney's margin of victory is not even close.

October 18, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • Huebert

Romney has a chance to win this election but it will be a squeaker. Expecting a large margin of victory on either side simply shows your disconnection with the country at large.

October 18, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • mama k

That's the delusion of many Americans, I'm afraid is that quick solutions are even possible now in a country of 314 million people. They need to get over themselves and stop seeking quick fixes. You just wind up chasing your tail.

October 18, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • joe

Have another glass of Kool Aid.

October 18, 2012 at 11:01 am |
    • TrickleDownIsDead

Obama led us from LOSING 750,000 jobs per month to GAINING 150,000 jobs per month. That's almost a MILLION JOB TURNAROUND. We've added jobs in every single one of the past 30 months. The Iraq war is over and bin Laden is dead. Obama is getting the job done.

It's worth asking what "the job" is in the first place. "The job" is cleaning up the mess left behind by the last Republican president. Please explain why it makes any sense whatsoever to trust in a Dubya Part 2 like Romney when the last Dubya was such a disaster. Insanity.

President Obama will be re-elected. Get used to it. You need to be urging your party to tone down the extremism, stop the knee-jerk obstruction and get to work on the business of the American people.

October 18, 2012 at 11:03 am |
  14. brent80

Reblogged this on brentmusicreviews.

October 18, 2012 at 10:53 am |
  15. kenhbradshaw

One of the things taught in the Mormon church is that while you accept difficulties you do not go looking for them. While there are religions that believe the more suffering you endure in this life, the better the future, what you look for and work for is happiness and welfare of yourself, your family and others. That is three-fold 1) you do everything to become self-sufficent, 2) you help others to become self-sufficent, 3) you care for those who are not capable of caring for themselves. There is no Calvinist philosphy of the poor getting what they deserve. Every tenent in the Mormon faith looks to the welfare of everyone.

October 18, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • Nietodarwin

Everyone who is mormon you mean, the welfare of the mormon church you mean, who are you kidding.????
      Mormons are more sick and deluded than many of the Talibangelical xstians, who are enemies to our country's success.
      Romney is a sick bad joke of a candidate, it's sad that he will even come close in this election.
      Religion makes people DELUSIONAL. Forcing a child to believe in hell, or forcing a child into a RELIGION IS CHILD ABUSE.

October 18, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • rocketscientist

I'm not voting for Romney, but it has nothing to do with him being a Mormon. I married into a Mormon family and none of them are "delusional." I'm Catholic and neither am I. If I was, I obviously wouldn't be doing the job I'm doing now. Just because a person has beliefs in a greater power in the universe does not necessarily mean they are delusional. You don't have to be a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist to know that. I don't understand why so many atheists here make such an obviously erroneous claim. It just makes them look like stupid bigots, which they are of course.

I'm raising my 18 month old twins in the Catholic church because I want to impart to them what belief in Christ has given me: a sense of brotherhood with all mankind, a reinforcement of values and morals, compassion for the poor and needy, and hope. I realize you don't need to be religious to get all that, but I believe it helps. And if my kids fall out of religion (like my sister), I won't love them any less. That's their decision. It's obviously idiotic and preposterous to equate raising a child with religion to child abuse. If that was the case, state social services and prisions would obviously be over-run, wouldn't it?

October 18, 2012 at 11:25 am |
  16. TrickleDownIsDead

Jobs LOST during Bush's last year: 4.5 million
    Jobs GAINED during the last 30 months under Obama: 5 million

Deficit when Bush took over: There was none! We had a $230 billion surplus.
    Deficit when Bush left office: $1.3 TRILLION

Romney's plan to return to Bushonomics (tax cuts mostly for the rich, trickle down fantasies, deregulation of Wall Street) is foolish. That should be obvious to anyone who was alive and awake 4 years ago.

October 18, 2012 at 10:51 am |
    • Ren

What is a progressive Mormon? I'm a Mormon, but not quite sure what that is.

October 18, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • Minnesota for Romney

If Bush left office with 1.4 trillion in debt and you are upset about that. How much more upset should should you be that the debt now with Obama is 14 + trillion $$. Where is your logic? It does not make sense. Bush went from a surplus when he took office to 1.4 trillion in debt when he left (8 years) Your wonderful president O add 14 trillion in less than 4 years. Figure it out people.

October 18, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • Wes Scott

You are on the right track, but your numbers are way off. When Bush left office the deficit was about $10.1 Trillion, and much of what has increased over the last four years is the residual deficit of Bush policies, primarily two unfunded wars and tax cuts for the top 5%.

October 18, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • rocketscientist

Wes, can you direct me to a website giving me the figures you quoted. I'm not saying your wrong, but I know the national debt increased under Obama and I'd just like to see the exact numbers and an analysis of why it did. Thanks!

October 18, 2012 at 11:27 am |
  17. planet kolob

mormonism is a cult

October 18, 2012 at 10:51 am |
    • yacon

Along with every other religion with a charismatic leader, including mainstream Christian churches with pastors who teach their followers.

October 18, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • rocketscientist

It's only considered a cult by shameful bigots like yourself.

Dr. H

October 18, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • you're a genius

Good point.

Articulately illustrated with eloquent rhetoric...You must be a genius.

-No One

October 18, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • AgentProvoca

You Obama worshippers are a cult like no other. How do you come up with stooges who drink his Obama's Kool Aid laced with CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN?

Most people in America are worse off today than we were 4 years ago. The proof is all around us. Unemployment was at 7.6% when President Obama was elected (http://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/empsit_02062009.htm). The government's latest report shows that the unemployment rate is 7.8% (http://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/empsit_10052012.htm). There are 24 million more Americans on food stamps, and there are millions of others who have endured severe economic hardship during the Obama's presidency. The national debt has doubled.

October 18, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  18. Believer

True compassion is not make people lazy and dependent on the state for handouts – Jesus wanted each person to honestly make his living and help his neighbors and poor to the best of his capacity – he was talking about personal character for individuals – not that they wait for the state to help their neighbors and poor. Bible's teachings are meant for each individual person to follow in his personal life ...

October 18, 2012 at 10:51 am |
    • tallulah13

And perhaps if christians did that, if the bible-thum.ping wealthy citizens and politicians of this country actually stepped away from their unbridled greed and worked toward a fair economic playing field, we wouldn't need laws to help those who have nothing. But that would require human decency on their part, and they sold that long ago.

October 18, 2012 at 11:02 am |
  19. tk

You lost me at "progressive moron." The Christian church is full of this as well. You don't stand for anything so you fall for everything. Stand for what God says and you can't go wrong. Someday you will stand and be judged by God and no, you won't have time in a "spirit prison" to fix things.

October 18, 2012 at 10:51 am |
    • ed galbraith

Thanks, TK. Write again when you mature a bit.

October 18, 2012 at 11:01 am |
    • Nietodarwin

I WILL NOT stand and be judged, I will rot and decompose, (or be creamated) like every other mammal that's ever lived.
      There is NO god, you have the right to your fairy tale beliefs, but get them OUT of our government.

October 18, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • Wes Scott

You made some very good points except for one thing – there is no skyfairy sitting in judgment over us. The concept of gods is ancient mythology to explain what they could not understand before science started explaining facts and reality. A god that created such an imperfect world with so many cruel, imperfect people would have to be nothing more than a sadistic s.o.b. who enjoys watching his creations suffer so that he can feel superior.

The Kingdom of Heaven is within you! At every moment you are either in heaven or hell depending upon your own personal experiences. There is no place with Pearly Gates and streets guarded by US Marines in the afterlife. Those are all fairy tales from long ago. Apparently, not all people have advanced mentally over the past several thousand years. And, if god did exist, and if god created all things, then god created evil, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, floods, famine, AIDS, cancer, dementia, polio and every other bad thing that causes pain and suffering his creations. Now, THAT is not a god in which I can believe!

October 18, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  20. Saul Berg

I call B.S. 100% of mormons will be voting for Romney. Any of them that says differently is LYING (how mormon of them). I have heard that they will be kicked out of the club if they don't vote for Willard Mitt Romney (yes that is his name).

October 18, 2012 at 10:50 am |
    • yacon

Have you never heard of Harry Reid?

October 18, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • JARED

Your right not all Mormons will vote for Romney. If they loved thier country they would though. Obama is a joke and has dont nothing but weaken this country and will do more of the same if re-elected. True maybe Romney isn't the most conservative Mormon like we should all be but he is by far a better choice than Obama

October 18, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • Kory

I'm pretty sure Harry Reid won't be voting for Romney.

October 18, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • joe

That is just as silly as saying that 100% of blacks will vote for Obama. Not true. No group in America is so monolithic that such a statement can be made about them. It sounds like you have an ax to grind. Grind it somewhere else.

October 18, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • Carter

How's that, Saul? I'm an active Mormon and I voted for Obama in 2008, and will again in a couple of weeks. I'd love to have a discussion here, but we have to live in reality.

October 18, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • Elizabeth

Most of my family is Mormon – and most of them are voting for President Obama. While I am not a practicing Mormon, I appreciate that my family can see the difference between politics and religion. They are voting for the best PERSON for the job. Wake up and quit making everything in your world black and white.

October 18, 2012 at 11:01 am |
    • Tyson

This is laughable. Did you know that Harry Reid is a Mormon? Do you think he's voting for Mitt? Mormons believe in free agency, including on matters of politics.

October 18, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • anniet

as an ex mormon who voted straight democratic ticket when reagan was running, NO they won't be kicked out. whoever told you members would be kicked out is lying. call b.s. all you like. you are wrong.

October 18, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • Jesse

100%? I call your bluff. Mormons just many other groups have a mind of their own when it come to choosing a person for the job.

October 18, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • rocketscientist

Saul, I guarantee you that the Mormons haven't been directed to vote for Romney and members won't be excommunicated for doing so. That said, I bet most of them will.

October 18, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • doug

Harry Reid is a Democrat (senate majority leader) and a Mormon, pretty sure he wont be voting for Romney....

October 18, 2012 at 11:20 am |