home
RSS
My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama
October 18th, 2012

My Take: Hard truths matter; I’m Mormon, and I’m voting for Obama

Editor's Note: Joanna Brooks is a senior correspondent for ReligionDispatches.org and author of "The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith."

By Joanna Brooks, Special to CNN

(CNN)–There are two moments and two moments only that made my soul sit upright during Tuesday night’s presidential debate:

President Obama, speaking about the loss of manufacturing jobs to low-wage economies like China: “There are some jobs that are not coming back.”

Obama, speaking about four lives lost in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya: “I am the one who has to meet those coffins when they come home.”

Morbid? Not at all. I’m just a believer in the gospel of hard truths.

And as I am the mother of two school-age children, a teacher at an underfunded public university and a progressive Mormon, hard truths about the challenges our nation faces are all that makes sense to me.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As a mother, I am acutely aware that right now, our nation invests a smaller and smaller share of its resources in our children, the generation that will assume the debts my generation and our parents’ generation have incurred.

As an educator, I have witnessed firsthand how failure to generate responsible levels of public revenue has significantly compromised generations’ worth of investment in our public schools and universities.

And as a Mormon, I grew up with a healthy sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. I was raised, after all, with a religious aversion to debt and a year’s supply of canned wheat, beans and powdered milk in the garage, as instructed by LDS Church leaders. The Mormon food storage tradition isn’t about end-times-paranoia: It’s a lesson passed down from our pioneer ancestors, who knew the importance of being prepared for difficult seasons so you can do right by your family and community.

Profile of Brooks: Crossing the plains and kicking up dirt, a new Mormon pioneer

This nation is in a difficult season, and I listened carefully Tuesday night for a proper sense of respect for worst-case scenarios. What I heard instead were the usual rhetorical swerves.

Mitt Romney offered personal anecdotes about “binders full of women” that have nothing to do with economic security for American families. He promised allegedly revenue-neutral $5 trillion tax cuts but refused to provide solid details on how he’d balance the books. And he made throwaway references to all people being the “children of the same God” without substantial reflection on how that should translate in terms of budget and policy.

What I really wanted from the debate was more of the hard truths that Obama seemed to be on the verge of saying:

“This recession is fundamentally different than other recessions, and there are no short-term fixes.”

“Our old strategies for managing Middle Eastern conflict through military intervention or propped-up dictators don’t work. And there is no easy way forward.”

“The only thing the $3 trillion Iraq war produced for the United States was a mountain of debt and a legion of disabled Americans.”

“We need to have a serious discussion about Social Security.”

“Debts don’t get paid down without adjustments in revenues.”

These are the kind of hard truths that speak to the same part of me that took notice when Obama at his inauguration quoted the Scripture: “It is time to put away childish things” (1 Corinthians 13: 11).

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And given the challenges we face in bringing down deficits while investing sensibly in the nation’s future, here are some other Scriptures I’d like to hear:

“Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6).

“Set your house in order, for you shall die” (2 Kings 20: 1)

Morbid? Not at all. But I do feel a sense of responsibility for keeping an eye on the worst-case scenarios. And a few months’ worth of rice and beans in the garage, like Mormon leaders teach me. And an ear out for the gospel of hard truths.

I have seen Obama work steadily, patiently through a difficult season. I have seen him face some hard truths and accept that there are no easy fixes. And I will vote to give him a second term.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Joanna Brooks.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Mitt Romney • Politics

soundoff (2,087 Responses)
  1. WhatNow

I am not a religious person. But, I will vote for Obama for many of the same reasons. I think he knows that this time is not like the others. I lived long enough to understand the difference and see through the rhetoric. There is no easy way up and we have much work. We should all stand up and demand that our Congress work together to compromise and improve our country. No more grand standing and childish self-centered pledges to anyone other than the American people. We no longer have the luxury of allowing our Congressional leaders the time to continue their self-serving agenda. Enough.

October 18, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • Antiobama

If you want a Muslim president go to the Middle East

October 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  2. J Lewis Stewart

Pres. Obama said all these wonderful things, but did he fulfill them?

She blames the current events on the Republicans because they don't change. It's funny I see the urban centers of our country that are controlled by the DNC still hopelessly mired in debt and poverty just like they were a 100 years ago.

The country gave Obama and the Democrats a chance to make a change and they have failed. They had the presidency, the Congress, the Senate and all they could do is close their doors and shove Obamacare down our throats.

Liberals always blame wars on the other party. What they don't realize is that while war is abhorrent it is something in this world we must be ever vigilant of. There are countries and groups out there that seek to destroy the US and we have to seek every way to stop that.

II don't care that she wants to vote for Obama but I tire of the muck raking to which people stoop.

October 18, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • zufree2b

Yeah! What is the Republicans prime objective?

October 18, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • James Thompson

Obama was obstructed every step of the way. And as for promises? Have you heard what Romney has promised? It makes Obama's promises pail in comparison. You talk about the poverty in Urban centers but fail to understand that our Urban centers are also paying more Federal taxes than they are taking as compared to the south who gets more in Federal dollars than they give. We need a balance approach and logic. Not knee jerk leadership and trickle down economics.

October 18, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  3. TrickleDownIsDead

Deficit when President Obama took office: $1.4 trillion
    Deficit today: $1.1 trillion

Job losses when President Obama took office: 750,000 per month (that's the fastest rate of job loss since the Great Depression)
    Job gains today: 140,000-150,000 per month (that's how many jobs we've ADDED on average for each of the last 30 months; note that it is almost a ONE MILLION JOB TURNAROUND from where it was when he took over)

We obviously have a lot work to do to get completely out of the hole the last Republican president put us in, but we're making steady progress.

Going backward to the failed policies of Bush would be exactly the wrong thing to do.

October 18, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • beezers

DEBT under eight years of Bush in office: 5.9 trillion to 10.6 trillion dollars
      DEBT (not deficit) when Obama took office: 10.6 trillion dollars
      DEBT after four years of Obama in office: 16 trillion dollars

That's the hard truth... and your children and grandchildren will be feeling the ill effects of it.

October 18, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  4. Wastrel

You should not allow your religion to influence your vote, one way or another. You should consider what you think is good fro the country. This woman has it utterly wrong, and this article is worthless.

October 18, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • David

If you mean that voting for or against Romney because of religious affiliation, then I agree. But, if you are voting and NOT applying your religious beliefs when making a choice, then what good is your religion doing for you.

October 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
  5. Ken

Thank you for this articulate and insightful article.

There seem to be more promoters of drama in the republican party trying to have us believe overly simplified soundbites attempting to make us doubt a slow and steady recovery from the previously wasteful am-Bush leadership. Obama has repeatedly told of "hard truths" that we, as a nation, must face but the opposition's propensity for quick fixes and easy answers feels like buying a lottery ticket as a retirement plan.

Yes I want to believe that someone can step in and magically fix the economy, can find me a job with a "better than living" wage and make everything "all right with the world again".

The truth is that none of Romney's promises have any substance or reality. In fact they are more isolationist bordering on xenophobic which will only create mistrust.

I heard, and believe that, a multi-trillion dollar economy can't be turned around in 4 years by one person. But the people responsible for making economic facts into political cracks are not the ones I want in charge of this government. I appreciate Obama's calm demeanor. Romney's tactics to defame and distract through disinformation and condescension are beneath this country's intelligence and dignity.

And whats with that smirk?

October 18, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • zufree2b

Indeed. Thank heavens for this woman, heard of the saying "when good people do nothing" wel she's not one of them.

October 18, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • Barry

What in the world is going on here. An intelligent, thoughtful article, and an equally intelligent, thoughtful response? Am I still at CNN, or what?

October 18, 2012 at 11:57 am |
  6. John Grahamslaw

I totally agree with the article ..I also agree that the real problem lies with career politicians in Washington. Here is my solution...limit the amount of time politicians can serve to a maximum of two terms in Congress. In this way the politicians can truly serve the American People, avoid nepotism and steer clear of the lobbyists and their blood money that infect Washington and poison our great Democracy.

October 18, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • Cindy

I totally agree with this statement. I think this has slowly been the downfall of our country. I would also like to see the Presidency changed to one 6 year term. That way they can get in there and have time to get things done without having to worry about their re-election and spending a year out of their term campaigning when they should and could be taking care of the country.

October 18, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  7. southernwonder

good article, but you don't need to support common sense sensible stuff (of obama policies) using dubious books that have caused a lot of bloodshed in history.

October 18, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • David

What are you talking about? Are you a Bible hater, talking about all the wars and crusades that caused many deaths in the name of Christianity? We all know that the crusades were political.

October 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  8. Antiobama

Your crazy to vote for obama

October 18, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • TruthWaivers

Whereas you're just crazy.

October 18, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  9. Crazy

A lot of people don't seem deterred about electing a man who believes god is an alien from an imaginary planet and that black people are black because of a curse from god, and that some day we can all be gods of our own planets. It is very disturbing that a man who insists he will base his policies on these beliefs may become president. Republicans are literally INSANE.

October 18, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • Friend of Mormons

You're just weird, with some sort of axe to grind. My Mormon friends are my favorite people, and even if what you say was true, no one cares because if every civilian behaved like my friends, this would be a ROCKING country. We'd be well served having one of them leading us.

October 18, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • David

If God does not live here... (does he?), then he IS an alien (by definition).

October 18, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • Antiobama

No let's vote for a Muslim....

October 18, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  10. Farhad

Yes!! it requires a brain to write something like this. And every single line in this article re-ignites the neurons as it triggers how we should vew our world.

October 18, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  11. rollaman

You're a "progressive", so it really doesn't matter what religion you call yourself (well, to me, it does, but that's another story). A progressive is a new-age term for socialist, because everyone knows what socialists stand for. So, why would any modern age socialist ever vote for a conservative family man? In other words, your progressive socialistic ideals trump your religious ideals, and that's why you will support the more socialist candidate over a candidate that shares the same religion as yourself.

October 18, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • Nick

False logic. Put a label on everyone you disagree with, and use that label as evidence of in support of your disagreement. There as woman I work with, who does not even have a college education, who discredits my opinion because I went to a "liberal" college. I graduated with honors with a BS in economics and, then again with honors for a JD in law. I clearly know more about law and economics than most people, but because I went to a "liberal" college, my knowledge is somehow invalidated? Rollaman expresses the same faulty logic with reductive and essentialist views of "liberals", "progressives", "socialists" and any other labels. Rather than listening to the opinion and expressing genuine counterpoints, you simply reduce her arguments to a meaningless label.

October 18, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Ken

Sorry but I don't know what a socialist is and for that matter what is wrong with being one. And what is its counterpart? Capitalism? Fascism? Zionism? I looked up socialism and found that it has many meanings through the decades and differs from leader to leader.

October 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • WhatNow

I agree with Nick. I am also educated and have taught at universities and colleges. The one thing I wish all my students to learn is critical thinking. That means learning to dig beneath the labels and generalizations in order to come to conclusions based on factual information. Maybe it is you who needs to re-educate your self on logic and fallacy. By the way, socialist isn't a dirty word.

October 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • David

"Progressive" mean changing. If you are changing from the principles that you belief are from God, then you are "progressing" away from God. Is that really what you want to do?

October 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  12. LostFaith

The Hard Truth is that four years from now we will be having this same discussion about the failed policies of the President, whomever that might be. There is so much incivility and partisanship bickering in Congress that nothing substantial will happen. Without compromise and cooperation from both parties, the nation's woes will only increase. Neither candidate will be able to accomplish anything in the next four years.

October 18, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • Barry

Sadly, I think you're right. We are in the middle of a vicious circle. The Republicans and their talk radio mouthpieces loathed and despised Bill Clinton. Then came G W Bush, who was equally hated by the Democrats. Along comes Obama, who had two strikes against him before he even set foot in the Oval Office. Whoever sits in the chair in January can count on ZERO support from a divided House and Senate, and the undisguised hatred and contempt in the media will continue, unabated. Welcome to the new normal..

October 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
  13. ray

tagg romney the president called his father a liar which the president never did, well tagg let me make it plain and simple, YOUR FATHER IS A LIAR, I WILL MAKE IT BETTER FOR YOU, YOUR FATHER IS A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR AND KING OF FLIP FLOPPER, ALL YOU ROMNEYS ARE LIARS.tagg says he wanted to smack the president, hahah , tagg maybe you and your sisters should sign up for the miltary, i guess you dont have the guts for that you cowards

October 18, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • Penobscot11

No one takes seriously someone who can't construct a proper sentence.

October 18, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • Reload

Those CAP's are soooooo intimidating!

October 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • David

The opening "sentance" was hard to read. Can you please restructure it?

October 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  14. DS

She has an insight – we all face hard problems; we are in this mess together; our familiar strategies are not working; it's time to stop wrangling, commit and find new long-term economic solutions together; there is no magic bullet for the US. And in all that – America is still the best bet to give the world a bright future.

October 18, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Bill Deacon

Then vote for Obama and he will change it.

October 18, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  15. ohio voter

Mormon or not i don't understand how anyone could vote for Romney.
    At first he was "severely conservative" and then he walked onto the stage of
    the first debate as a moderate. Not to mention all the changes he has made in
    his stances since he started running for pres. . . . .then we fast forward to this last debate
    and he totally blew it with me about "women in binders" as if there were no women candidates.
    Give me a break Mr. Romney–do you really think that i buy that only men sent in their resume's?
    I truly think this man thinks we are stupid. I cannot understand how a GOP party can shun
    mormons for so long and all the sudden they are OK--. Their choice in romney is terrible and
    he will not get my vote.

October 18, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • James PDX

I know, right? Sure, every major politician is a pants on fire liar, but they usually are this obvious about it.

October 18, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • Penobscot11

I wonder if the author considers the President's trillions of dollars in deficit spending as part of the problem.

Or is it just a revenue problem?

Author, I invite you to think a little harder. You're looking hard at the side of the argument that agrees with you.

October 18, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • David

At the end of the day, he had MANY women on his higher level staff. Why in the world is "binders full of women" such a catch phrase. If Clinton had said it we would still be laughing, even tough he would have said, "Folders full of bound women."

October 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  16. Penobscot11

What you call hard truths, the rest of us call the President's excuses for inability. As you're an obvious Obama apologist, it doesn't surprise me that you defend him and find evidence that agrees with you. I call that "poor writing" and "under-developed intellectualism."

Mitt Romney, Mormon or not, has a better shot of getting it done that Barack Obama.

October 18, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • Francisco Decastro

What proof do you have? He was never President. We have Proof of Obama. I am better than 4 years ago. Slowly but surely. You are willing to take a bet on no presidential statistics against someone who HAS made it better or at leasts stop the bleeding. I say, don't to fix what is not broken.

Humans always want more and more and more. But we just have to accept that no one could have done it better than Obama. He was able to turn around the worst economic depression we had in a long time. There is a lot to get done. But at least we are seeing a growth of jobs for many months now. Is it a lot? no. But is it a positive number? yes. Is positive better than negative? yes. Another term and Obama will fix a lot more, and there will still need a lot to get done. plain and simple. I don't know how old you are but it is common sense that it is always easy to break something, but it is always harder to fix it. Obama should stay in office because he is not breaking the Country. And we have no Idea what Romney can do, because he has never been a president before. And he has business experience but guess what? America is NOT a business. America is a NATION, full of different people, with different cultures, and different minds. These are not numbers, there are HUMAN beings. Romney should be a business consultant, but he is not in ANY way close to be in the level of presidency. Obama can relate to americans. Romney cannot.

October 18, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • James Thompson

You talk about "under-developed intellectualism." yet you fail to understand that Mitt has the same policies (Maybe more extreme) as Bush. Trickle down economics have been debunked. Mitt's math does not add up. So please do not shoot down this persons lack of intellectualism while failing to use any of your own.

October 18, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • Penobscot11

@James Thompson...Speaking of a lack of intellectualism, you're an Obama apologist. Surely you'll concede that he has failed to accomplish what this country hired him to accomplish. In the real world, that warrants a pink slip.

October 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • David

Mr. Romney, would you please take the next 2 minutes and lay out everypoint of your tax plan. Please be sure to include the established business and financial models and pratices so that the under educated of this country can understand them.

Really? You can't balance your own checkbook in 2 minutes.

October 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
  17. Preacher

What we need desperately in this country right now is a leader who can give us a sense of hope. The current president does not do that. Mr. Obama has stated time and time again that there is nothing we can do about the price of as so we might as well settle for paying way too much at the pump. He said on Tuesday that there are some jobs that will not come back so we might as well settle for that as well. He has also said that everyone is going to just have to chip in and pay higher taxes and settle for that. If this writer wants to vote for this hopeless leader then good for her. I, however, choose to cast my vote for Mr. Romney who has said time and time again: "America, we do not have to settle for what we have gone through the last four years...we are better than this!"

October 18, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • Nick

Preacher – unfortunately, you are simply ill-informed. The president can do little about gas prices. Gas prices are set by the international market. Unless he subsidizes gas prices more (which will cost tax dollars), there is nothing the president can do in the short term to fix gas prices. And, contrary to common misconception, drilling for oil and gas here is not the answer. It may be part of the answer, but everyone acknowledges that those resources are limited. You can use them all up now, and have cheaper prices at the pump, but eventually they will run dry. What then?

October 18, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • TommyJimmy

Actually the oil market is no longer controlled by the government as it is a market. This means it is driven by global supply and demand. If you would like the government to control prices that that would create a basket of new problems (supply shortages, extra government departments). To further this truth look at the price of oil before, during, and after the recession. It was near $4 a gallon before the crash then dropped to $2 a barrel after the crash and is now at $4. It is well known in the financial industry that the oil market is very volatile and controlled by the suppliers and traders of oil. There is no government in the world that would have the major product of the world inflate and deflate by 50%-100% if they had any control over it at all. And last if that is not a warranted argument then please read the article below from CNBC.

October 18, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Barry

Preacher, When you talk about hope, do you mean "I hope Santa brings me a new bike"? The President, whoever he might be is not God. He cannot magically create an infinite supply of petroleum that will permanently meet our needs (and the Chinese, Indians.... as well.) Here's a news flash for you, gas prices are already artificially low. Another hard truth that is going to hurt your ears: some of those jobs aren't coming back, and it has nothing to do with settling for it. Exactly how much do you really want to spend on a pair if Nikes? And as for those taxes, The middle class will pay, and the 2% will get off easy. The taxes on interest and dividends that Romney wants to eliminate are where the wealthy make their money. Meanwhile, much loved government programs that have historically benefited the middle class are on the chopping block.

October 18, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • David

Increase the supply and the demand goes down, along with prices. Quite simple, though for some it is hard to grasp, I guess.

October 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  18. IamAmazed

I was informed last Sunday that LDS church is neutral on political candidates and parties and as an LDS member you should know that so I am surprised that you combine the LDS religion with your political views.

Your quote, “Turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come to smite the earth with a curse” (Malachi 4: 6), is out of context as the scripture refers to deceased ancestors not an economic future, which you also should have known.

October 18, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • James Thompson

I too am a "Mormon" and even though we do not push parties or politics from the pulpit, we have been encouraged to take part in the process. A member of the church who is not acting in an official capacity or as a representative can and should participate. By sharing her views she is not only participating but showing that Mormons have varying political opinions. I applaud her. As for her reference to scripture, I do not think that it is beyond saying that this scripture can be interpreted to include future generations. I also do not believe that it is against our beliefs as "Mormons" to care for the next generation.

October 18, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • Beni

"Neutral?" Seriously? The mormon church is FAR from neutral in its politics.

October 18, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • Francisco Decastro

Does not matter. Being a member of the church is one thing. Being an American Citizen and the right to vote is another.

October 18, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • Oscar Pitchfork

Well, duh! If you go out of your way to find a reason to say her quoting of the scriptures doesn't 'tecnically' apply, you can say anything you want, Mr. Obviously-a-Romney-Toady! She obviously was using the reference to make a point, which apparently was lost on thick-lipped mutterers like yourself...

October 18, 2012 at 11:57 am |
  19. CypressSteve

Lost in the article by this well-meaning author are the Mormon teachings of self-reliance and personal responsibility. It is upon these two concepts that our liberty hinges. The author would do well to contemplate a slightly deeper meaning to her faith than the surface-level justification she has given here for her vote. She has trivialized the massive debt we have built up by reckless spending (by both parties) that now threatens our very freedom. Obviously, a balanced approach of cutting needless expenditures and finding ways to raise revenues (via taxes or growth) will be required. This means we will need bi-partisan cooperation, something our current president has not been able to achieve. The country is more divided, more in debt, and faces a monetary crisis within the next few years. Who will be most likely to achieve a b-partisan solution? President Obama has given NO indication that he can do so. Governor Romney has (he had an 87% Democrat legislature in MA). The rest is academic.

October 18, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • Penobscot11

Well said.

October 18, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • dave

if you want to be self reliant build your own roads, army, air force, police force, fire department, grow your own food, home school your kids, turn off the TV and internet, grow your own cotton to make your own clothes

October 18, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • James Thompson

I disagree with your assumption that Obama does not believe in self reliance. He believes in a balance where government protects self reliance. Governor Romney would not have any more success "reaching across the isle" than Obama. And if you were really truthful with yourself you would admit that both candidates are fairly centrist and that Obama has taken plenty of flack from the left for being centrist and trying to reach across the isle. I too am a "Mormon" and believe in self reliance. That includes paying taxes and not begrudging the governments use of said taxes for infrastructure, research, defense, etc.

October 18, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Ruby

Did it occure to you that all that "self-reliance and personal responsibility" is a lot more meaningful to Morman men than women? Mormon women are expected to be dependent, relying on and obaying their husbands so she is simply expressing her intention to vote her conscience as an American rather than as an obedient Morman wife following her husband's orders.
      I say let every one of us weugh the issues we consider important, and vote accordingly.

October 18, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • mike

Romney as Govenor – 400 VETOS, 400 Overides

Is that Bipartizanship ?
      No the Mass legislature simply ignored him....he was irrelevant and completely disconnected from the people.
      Perhaps in Obama's next term with a few more Dems in congress Mitch McConnel and his teapartiers will work to do some good for the country instead of concentrating soley on their own advancements.
      A pledge to Grover Norquist is abdication or their loegislative resposibility and UnAmerican

October 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
  20. Samuel perales

Finally some common sense. The shameful truth we don't hear coming out of Washington is that congress is the real problem and the solution. Career politicians need to go. We need new minds, fresh ideas. Congress needs to admit to the American people that they are standing in the way of real progress. If you are new to congress and rightfully serving the people of this great nation. Excellent. You career politicians, time to go home. Also let's adjust their pay and pensions.
    Obama's cleaning house. Not fast enough for most of us. But it's a big house, with a big mess. I'm sure Romney is a good man. Don't think its his time yet. Maybe next go round... When the house is cleaned up.

October 18, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • David

You are such a racist. Why would you say that since Obama is a black man that it is his job to clean the house before a white man moves in?

How did it feel to be on the other side of an absurd racial accusation so often hurled at conservatives?

October 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm |