home
RSS
Look at Obama’s faith draws criticism, praise
Some readers thought we went too far by asking why some thought President Barack Obama was the "wrong kind of Christian."
October 24th, 2012

Look at Obama’s faith draws criticism, praise

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - People have all sorts of questions for presidential candidates in an election year. But there was one question I asked last weekend that scores of readers griped about:

Why do so many people doubt President Barack Obama’s faith?

Obama has talked publicly about his faith for years, but doubts persist. Why? Was it race? Was he a different kind of Christian than his predecessors? How can anyone judge whether another person is a Christian?

Those are some of the questions I presented in the article. The reaction was stunning: more than 8,000 comments, 25,000 Facebook shares, 700 tweets and citations on political websites such as Talking Points Memo and the Washington Monthly.

Praise and criticism came from all political sides - liberals and conservatives both liked the piece and loathed it. Some saw it as a ringing defense of the progressive Christian traditions that shaped Obama’s faith. Others thought I was trying to sabotage the president's re-election chances with an unfair question.

The comments from readers tended to land on certain themes.

He’s not Christian - no matter what anybody says:

I got the impression that if Obama were suddenly surrounded by an angelic host during a press conference, and the voice of God declared, “He is not a Muslim,” some still would not believe it.

A reader named “Paul” put it this way:

"Sorry, the premise that Obama is a new kind of Christian is, in my opinion, just flat wrong. He is a Muslim."

Who gets to determine if someone is a Christian?

Other readers took offense at some pastors in the article who declared that Obama couldn’t be a Christian because he never talked about being “born again” and he supported same-sex marriage and abortion rights.

The article mentioned several prominent conservative Christians - including Focus on the Family founder James Dobson and the Rev. Franklin Graham, the son of Billy Graham - who questioned Obama’s faith.

One pastor in the article, the Rev. Steven Andrew, author of “Making a Strong Nation,” even said that he thought Obama was “an anti-Christ.”

A reader identified as “C. J Mills” wrote:

"These ministers represent the kind of Christianity that makes me reluctant to say to people I don't know that I'm a Christian, and the kind of speakers for the faith that drove all my children out of churches because they would not put up with such judgmentmentalism. ..."

A ‘hit’ piece on Obama?

What was most surprising to me was the reaction of Obama supporters. The article featured several progressive Christians who said the sources for Obama’s faith are not sinister. The president’s faith is influenced by a brand of liberal Protestantism that dominated American public life during the early 20th century and a biblical perspective shaped by his exposure to the black church and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

A “Cindy” called me Sunday and left a two-minute phone message skewering the story, and added a lengthy e-mail.

Her message:

"Your Sunday morning pre-election hit piece on President Obama is an outrage! ‘Is he the right kind of Christian?’ ‘He’s been called the anti-Christ.’ Really? It is disgusting, and doing it on a Sunday morning is an outrage."

I called Cindy at home and, after apologizing for her “cranky” message, she explained the source for some of her anger. She’s an Obama supporter living in a conservative state, and she said was on edge because of the election. She thought any article questioning Obama’s faith would convince people not to vote for him.

Another reader, “Muffin72,” had the opposite reaction. The reader thought the article was a puff piece on Obama:

"Nice CNN Obama PR piece trying to get a last grasp at another group of voters. … You can't support abortion and be a good Christian at the same time. ... Sorry, it just doesn't compute."

Other commentators asked when I would write a story asking if Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, was a Christian. One commentator frankly declared progressive Christianity was an “apostate form of false Christianity.”

One of most unusual comments came from a “Clarke.”

"John Blake, I do not care for your article. To be fair, please tell us in your own words, what is the right Jew, the right Mormon, the right Christian. Why CNN would let you write about any religion, is beyond me. Religion is a personal thing, and does not belong on your sleeve and for you to judge others is just wrong. Makes me wonder if there was not money exchanged for this article. Shame, shame on you and CNN."

I can assure you Clarke, no one paid me to write the story. Yet there was a payoff for me.

Most journalists love to get people talking about what they write. Though I’ll always wonder if some of the commenters actually read the entire article, I’m glad that a provocative question could generate so many follow-up questions, even angry ones.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Billy Graham • Christianity • Culture wars • Obama

soundoff (1,150 Responses)
  1. Jacob

My name is Jacob. I believe that Christians should not judge Obama about his religion. After all in the Bible, doesn't it say that only God can judge people? If you ask me, I bet 9 times out of 10 the people who judge others for their religion or beliefs are the ones who need to go to church more. I also believe that no religion should be judge for being wrong because no religion has been 100% proved right, so before you judge the Presidents religion question your own first.

October 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • richunix

The Bible states whatever facts man wishes to convey.

Stephen F Roberts: “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

October 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

You err, it is right that we shall not judge someone for certain sins he commits but if someone teaches falsely we shall treat him somewhat harsher.

By the way, there is one holy true doctrine which you can find in the New Testament, the consti-tution of the Christian Church.

October 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • YO! Rainman

Have you ever done the European tour and managed to see the Chateau Sans-Souci? Was it good for you, all that history?

October 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  2. aktap

How can you people take about Obama’s faith in Our Sweet Lord Jesus. When Romney's in a Jim Jones Nut job outfit like the Mormons. Any Conservative Church that's supports Romney is Satan 's tool and leading it flock to Hell! We must stop this Pagan from taking control of Christian America before its to late!

October 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • richunix

PLEASE....OH Please explain how your religon is not? I'm waiting with baited breath.....

October 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • WASP

@tap: don't worry romney isn't going to win election so relax. second america is a SECULAR NATION.
      there is no devil/satan/lucifer/belzabub/etc etc etc it is just the boggieman to scare "good little christians."
      so relax and enjoy life. 🙂

October 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  3. Rainer Braendlein

How can anyone judge whether another person is a Christian?

The issue is that even someone who believes in the true doctrine can nevertheless be a disbeliever when he doesn't overcome the lust of his body by the faith and doesn't love God and his neighbour through God's releasing power. The true faith leads to practical righeousness in daily life. Yet, this can only be judged by God, if someone did enough.

However, if someone teaches falsely, and doesn't accept admonition, you shall treat him as a pagan.

October 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • William Demuth

Her look, the Nazi element is back!!

How is Treblinka this time of year?

October 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

My beloved Bill,

you wrote exactly what I have expected.

At least you are stick to your character.

October 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • YO! Rainman

I hope you find your version of Herman Von Katte and that you live happily ever after, not like poor Herman who was slaughtered for having realations with Frederik, jesus would not want you to stay in a closet all your life.

October 24, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • Chutzpah

You speak falsely, Rainman. Therefore, you're a pagan in all of our eyes.

October 24, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
  4. Ramon

In another e-mail released by the head of C.N.N:

" Dear Comrade Crowley, my little Babushka!

I have heard from the Dear Magnificent Leader- Vladimar Oblama and those in the Appartatchik, including Commissars Pelosi (code name: Plastic Face) and Reid, they send warmest thanks in the name of the Revolution for your Victory against the evil Capitalist onslaught. I have also heard from Comrades at our Communist News Network (CNN) and TASS (the AP), they along with the Revolutionaries at
    More Socialist Nonsense Broadcast Continually (MSNBC) have collected many rubles from the front and are building a statue of your likeness which will be place in the Gulag that will house the enemies of the state who watch FOX news, read Drudge and listen to the evil Capitalist propaganda on Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beckl.

I have also heard from our glorious army of the Revolution (O.W.S) they have encircled the capitalist on all fronts and are waiting for the glorious collectivizion the Dear Magnificent Leader has spoken of when victory is realized! Your Motherland is proud of your ferocious Revolutionary stand! An extra ration of bread and Vodka is on your card-"

October 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Primewonk

Apparently this ignorant fundiot talibangelical tea bagger thinks his bullshit is funny.

October 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  5. ladyofthenight

American president religion should make a difference. When Muslim and Islam are fighting around us all over the world, we should think twice before we elect a Muslim president. His middle name is Hussein. Muslim name. Why would a Christian will choose a name like that. Not logical it would happen. A person faith is mostly chosen by the way we were raised. Obama till the age of 13 went to a Madrasa, which is a Muslim school. Do you need more than that to be convinced that he is indeed Muslim. He chose to be Christian when he knew he wanted to get involved in politics, and being in Chicago it was the right thing to do to be accepted. But even than, his heart was not completely into it. Look at the pastor he chose. Jeramey Wright, or what ever his name is. Further more, listen to Obama. Pay attention. He say himself so many time that he is Muslim. Do we need more than that.

October 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • midwest rail

Good grief...

October 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • William Demuth

You have a Ho's screen name, yet you speak of integrity?

You Christians!! Such kidders!

October 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • IDIOT

YOU IDIOT, MADRSA IS ARABIC FOR SCHOOL. YOU IDIOT

October 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  6. 1ofTheFallen

Obama has no faith and he is a coward just like his adminstration. The evidence continues to build day after day that Obama and his adminstration knew about the Libyian embassy attacks that led to the deaths of our ambassdor and 3 other Americans. Obama does not have the courage to admit that they made a horrible misjugdement in not paying attention to the intel and multiple emails requesting additional security. This is not surprising given that Obama has missed more than 55% of the intel briefing. Obama cowardice in not admitting his failure dishonors these mens lives who continued to do their duty despite being in a very dangerous situation with bosses who were not paying attention.

October 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
  7. If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

It's OK Mr. Obama, your fellow Atheists understand why you need to keep up a front of belief eventhough your Atheism shows through .. which is why people keep questioning you over it ,, they can sense it but can't put a finger on it.

October 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • William Demuth

Damn right.

He dosen't believe a word of it.

I love that about him!!!!!!!!!!

October 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  8. pops

this is a very hard issue to discern. Christian faith is based on the bible, I think everyone agrees with that. It seems that most people, like Obama, like to pick and chose what parts they agree with and what they don't. like definition of marriage.

October 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • WASP

@pops: i totally agree ALL christians pick and choose what to accept and what to ignore in the bible.
      i don't see you making sacrifices to your god, or owning slaves. so you aren't doing EVERYTHING the bible said.
      now remember IT'S GOD'S WORD and jesus DID NOT REVOKE THE OLD TESTAMENT.

October 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • William Demuth

Well Pops, that is because the rag is poorly written.

It can and has been used to justify everything from genocide to war to slavery to torture and even child murder.

It is a like one of those Red Neck all you can eat joints, with whatever bigoted gristle you want to chew on, along with lousy service and roaches in the kitchen.

Shame really, that the divine Jesus couldn’t afford a decent editor.

October 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • phk46

pops – *every* Christian picks which parts of the bible he/she believes in. Even if you believe every single word of "your" bible, that is a translation of a choice of certain historic texts. Different bibles contain different translations, and not all even contain the same selection of source texts.

And within a single bible, there are multiple, and often conflicting, renditions of the same events. So again you must choose which you believe.

So you can't claim you are more truly Christian because you believe more of the bible.

October 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Joe

No, it is based on the new testament. The old testament was no longer in effect when Jesus came to earth. I believe that those that refuse to recognize that jesus overrides the old testament are un Christian.

October 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  9. Josh

Could you imagine what he'd have to go through if he was Mormon? Really, it is funny how much attention this gets as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is mocked publicly without people thinking twice, from Broadway to politics. Both candidates have been subjected to negativity based on religion. It is true that religious beliefs can show us some of their personal character and values, but it should not by any means be a determining factor in who we vote for. We are electing a political leader, not a prophet or advocate for any particular faith.

October 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  10. David

What happened to separation between government and religion? This is ridiculous.

October 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
  11. jaywingfuller

Here's what irritates me to no end about the so-called "fundemental" Christians as evidenced by post and after post. Most of them simply don't get it. They are so blinded by their disfunctional, literal belief in a 2000+ year old mythology (the basics of which, by the way, were refined by several religions centuries before Christianity came on the scene, religions who were then summarily and viciously erradicated by those professing the Christian faith) that they think they magically possess a divine right to judgementally verblize hatred for others who simply do not agree with them or look like them. They can not stop for a moment and clearly examine the bigotry arising from their irrational fear of someone different than themselves. And I wish, for Christ's sake, they would quit using religion as their launching point and a justification for their hatred. Peel the religious paint away from these folks - whether they be Christians, Muslums, Jews, Hindus - and all you have are a collection people who are racists, bigots and misogynists, who are too small-minded to take full, personal responsibility for their thoughts, fears and prejudices.

October 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • William Demuth

It's funny, if you take away the whole facade, they are basicaly just an urban street gang.

Bigoted, indoctrinated, poorly educated, and probably inbred.

October 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • steelerguin

Wow Jay, lotta hate in that diatribe for someone as enlightened as you. I don't aspire to hate as much as you do.

October 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • jaywingfuller

Steeler, try reading again. I said "irritate" and that's what I mean. You have no idea what I hate anymore than what I believe or love. But I will tell you this: I take full responsibility for what I say and what I do. If i screw up, I screw up - I don't try to foist my mistakes on god or Jesus or the guy down the road who handles snakes and thinks he has a magical insight into everyone's heart.

October 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  12. RP

Four years ago, I believed Obama was Christian because he said he was. But since I began reading the Bible and bringing myself closer to God, things changed. About a year ago when I read Mark, Luke, John, and Matthew, I stopped believing that Obama is a Christian and I believe that he doesn't love God. Without learning anything new about Obama, solely from embracing the words of Jesus, my view of Obama changed.

October 24, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • William Demuth

Let me guess: Redneck?

October 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • DB

And let me guess: you still believe Romney, and Bush, and Bush, and Reagan. But just not Obama. Right?

October 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • birch please

hahahahahahahaha... you are a very weak minded sheep.

October 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  13. FoolKiller

Sorry. Didn't read the original article and so can't comment. Knew a troll when I saw one, and passed... (I did read this one though, and am SO glad you got all the attention you desired (re last paragraph).)

October 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  14. Sunflower

II'm guided by what he wrote in his book. Based on that, if he is a Christian, he's a weak one....

October 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • birch please

You know who was also a weak christian by today's christian standards...... christ

October 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  15. Heather Kaas

"Who gets to determine who is a Christian?" That's easy.... God.

October 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Concerned Citizen

Ugh! You're sooooo right! I feel like such a rube. We should have just asked god!

Mr. god, what is the right kind of christian?

*Crickets*

god?.............

Well isn't that interesting. And what have we learned from this experience? Thaaaaaaaaaaat's right, god doesn't exist.

October 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  16. Gregory Adamson

My family and I live in the deep south where ignorance and shuting your eyes to logic, and blindly following religion, is the norm. My kids get asked "where do you go to church" rather than "do you go" because it's assumed you attend somewhere here in the south. If organized religion wasnt to messed up we might have been attending church somewhere – the hate and judgement coming from most church people is discusting and a major turnoff. Church is a place that we try to keep our children away from to avoid the bad lesson that come from it. With that said, what's the big deal with asking what type of religion Obama practises?

October 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • candyapple

I sincerely doubt you are from the "deep south," nice try though.

October 24, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • steelerguin

I love living in the south although I grew up in the northeast. I like it for all the reasons you hate it.

October 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • William Demuth

Greg

You can go to church if you like.

I go whenever I have the flu, just so I can spit in the Holy Water.

October 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • DaveNYUSA

You are proof positive hat every crowd has at least one asssssshole!

October 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  17. Concerned Citizen

It's appalling that after an entire term as president, the muslim myth remains. I just don't understand it. We see Obama eat pork sandwiches, he goes to church, he says he's a christian and believes in god and yet somehow that still isn't good enough for people who only get their news from fox news four years ago.

I believe Obama when he says he's a christian for the same reason I believe any random person on the street or a friend. If they say they're a christian, go to church and generally act christian why not believe them?

Now, as to Obama being the "right" kind of christian becomes a matter of opinion. The "right" kind of christian in my mind is one that doesn't practice, doesn't go to church and doesn't believe in god.... meaning the right kind of christian is one that doesn't exist at all. However, I'll take the next best thing, I'll take the christians who want to go to church, preach love and understanding and don't force anything on anyone else. Obama and Biden have both stated that regardless of their faith, they recognize that this country isn't a christian one nor is everyone a practicing christian and should be free to live how they choose.

October 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • pops

October 24, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • candyapple

He refuses to acknowledge terrorist groups = Muslim. He said that the call to prayer is the most beautiful sound he's ever heard = Muslim. He does not hold Christian beliefs = Muslim. His father was a muslim, therefore, he is automatically a Muslim.... Hellooooooo

October 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • Concerned Citizen

yes, many times in fact.

Not only through the whole rev wright "scandal" that occurred, but since he's switched, on a pretty constant basis. Maybe it was because I lived in DC and had to deal with his motorcade so often, but he does indeed go. It's called google, use it.

October 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • RealMenLoveJesus

"pops
      In the past, the news showed multiple times other presidents (Clinton, Bush, Reagan, etc.) attending church, I have never seen a video of Obama walking into a chuch. have you?"

Come on man....

October 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • scot pederson

We can make this complex or as simple as possible. The complex answer would take several paragraphs. The simple answer is "Does Obama confess Christianity or does he possess Christianity?" In Matthew 7, after Jesus states that those who prophesied and did other works in his name and he says "away from me, I never knew you" he goes on to say "everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.

So this begs the question, does Obama like many others just give lip service to God and cherry-pick scriptures to support his Socialist agenda or does he truly live out a Christian life when he supports Gay Marriage, supports Abortion, snubs Israel (God's chosen race), praises Jesus as his Lord & Savior? I think the answers are clear.

October 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Concerned Citizen

@Candy

What rock have you been living under? Not acknowledging terrorist groups = muslim? So he killed Osama because he was a nau.ghty guy? What about the fact that terrorism comes in all shapes and sizes (see the ridiculous amounts of christian terrorist groups out there). He's also stated countless times he believes in christian values, what are you? an idiot? Lastly, I was unaware that there's a genetic marker for religion, does that mean that conve.rting means you're actually changing your dna?

Candy, it's idiots like you who instead of actually doing the research and learning more about your comm,ander-in-chi.ef get spo./on fed lies and deceits and eat it up like a fat kid in a ca.ke factory. Stop being the fat kid candy.

October 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • rajb

pops – can you guarantee that God and Church have anything in common ? I mean do you have that kind of conviction that God and today's Church share anything in common ?

October 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • Concerned Citizen

@Scot

I commend you for actually giving a coherent answer. Unfortunately It's dead wrong, but at least you've sort of thought it through. The way you've applied the bible verse though is sadly wonting. Read your bible and tell me if jesus would be in favor of singling out a specific group of people and denying them rights? His stance on abortion is inconsequential since it's already legal by law. His snub towards israel? Non existent (also being a former jew a) offensive that you call israelis OR jews a race and b) IMO it's become ridiculous how much both candidates pander to voters about israel). He does praise jesus, just not the way a born again would, he does it in the privacy of his own home like every religious person should

The answers are there Scot, but I think you are ignoring truths in order to believe in the lies.

October 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  18. Carol Anderson "Bibs"

I am an AMERICAN BY BIRTH. I am a CHRISTIAN, BY THE GRACE OF GOD, since infant baptism & being raised in the church. One question, please .......Why is a presidential candidate's religion even questioned??? What happened to "separation of church & state"??? ONLY GOD KNOWS WHAT IS TRULY IN EVERY HEART!

October 24, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

People are Atheists by birth and religious by indoctrination from the family they were born into.

October 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • candyapple

It's important because Muslims would love it if the POTUS was a Muslim seeing is how their goal is to destroy the US... why not do it from within? It's important because so called Muslims want us dead... so yeah, I think we should question our leader's religous beliefs.

October 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • well

It's important because there's a strong group of Christian conservatives whose arguement for not voting for Obama is that "he's a Muslim" and "obviously not Christian." In fact, Mr. Billy Graham has announced that he's removed Mormonism from his list of cults. Not because he's had a change of heart, but because it's politically better for him to have a Mormon Republican in office than a Christian Democrat. Should it be an issue? Not at all. But they've made it one by professing for the past four years that he's not a Christian, so he's undeserving of the job.

October 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • Hornsea 1

You are absolutely right. There is supposedly a clear separation between religion & politics – how many republicans are either Jewish, Baptists, Tea-party or Evangeicals? I am Anglican, my wife & family are mostly Catholic – what does it matter? Live by a code of doing good unto others!

October 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  19. Mete Krop

It is such an idiot thing questioning once religion. Where do you think that you gonna get your relition. It is simply a choice that one can make in his life. Period. You can chose to be christian, protestant, catholic, Islam, ethiest and even mormon just simply by choice.

October 24, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
  20. DB

It has nothing to do with his religion. If he was a white Republican they wouldn't even question it, and we all know it. It's all about politics, with some good old fashioned racism thrown in depending on who it is that's denouncing him (in most cases it's just politics). Saying "I don't think he's really Christian" is just as excuse for people who don't have the guts to be honest.

October 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • steelerguin

I agree judging a man's heart is wrong and only God can do that. I do believe you can discern something about his heart based on his actions and words.Obama's stance on abortion, gay marriage, and even the economy is not consistent with biblical Christianity. It has nothing to do with race or politics. For the record, I don't believe Romney is a Christian either based on his confessed faith of mormonism. It has nothing to do with race or politcs.

October 24, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • @steelerguin

You're right is has nothing to do with race or politics. Just like his religion should have nothing to do with race or politics. I'm a Christian too, and I believe specific things because that's what I believe the Bible says. However, the great thing about this Nation is that one religion doesn't dictate. There are plenty of other religions represented in America and plenty of nonreligious represented in America. My beliefs shouldn't be imposed on someone else who doesn't believe what I do. What happens when an administration comes in that's not Christian and begins enacting laws based on the precedent that laws should be based on the faith of the person in control? Kind of terrifying.

Also, defining Christianity is a very personal (possibly even subjective) thing? I, like you – it seems, define Christianity based on the Bible, but there is a very large group of people who feel that they believe in God and Jesus and thus are Christian. Are we the ones to tell them they aren't?

October 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm |