home
RSS
Look at Obama’s faith draws criticism, praise
Some readers thought we went too far by asking why some thought President Barack Obama was the "wrong kind of Christian."
October 24th, 2012

Look at Obama’s faith draws criticism, praise

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - People have all sorts of questions for presidential candidates in an election year. But there was one question I asked last weekend that scores of readers griped about:

Why do so many people doubt President Barack Obama’s faith?

Obama has talked publicly about his faith for years, but doubts persist. Why? Was it race? Was he a different kind of Christian than his predecessors? How can anyone judge whether another person is a Christian?

Those are some of the questions I presented in the article. The reaction was stunning: more than 8,000 comments, 25,000 Facebook shares, 700 tweets and citations on political websites such as Talking Points Memo and the Washington Monthly.

Praise and criticism came from all political sides - liberals and conservatives both liked the piece and loathed it. Some saw it as a ringing defense of the progressive Christian traditions that shaped Obama’s faith. Others thought I was trying to sabotage the president's re-election chances with an unfair question.

The comments from readers tended to land on certain themes.

He’s not Christian - no matter what anybody says:

I got the impression that if Obama were suddenly surrounded by an angelic host during a press conference, and the voice of God declared, “He is not a Muslim,” some still would not believe it.

A reader named “Paul” put it this way:

"Sorry, the premise that Obama is a new kind of Christian is, in my opinion, just flat wrong. He is a Muslim."

Who gets to determine if someone is a Christian?

Other readers took offense at some pastors in the article who declared that Obama couldn’t be a Christian because he never talked about being “born again” and he supported same-sex marriage and abortion rights.

The article mentioned several prominent conservative Christians - including Focus on the Family founder James Dobson and the Rev. Franklin Graham, the son of Billy Graham - who questioned Obama’s faith.

One pastor in the article, the Rev. Steven Andrew, author of “Making a Strong Nation,” even said that he thought Obama was “an anti-Christ.”

A reader identified as “C. J Mills” wrote:

"These ministers represent the kind of Christianity that makes me reluctant to say to people I don't know that I'm a Christian, and the kind of speakers for the faith that drove all my children out of churches because they would not put up with such judgmentmentalism. ..."

A ‘hit’ piece on Obama?

What was most surprising to me was the reaction of Obama supporters. The article featured several progressive Christians who said the sources for Obama’s faith are not sinister. The president’s faith is influenced by a brand of liberal Protestantism that dominated American public life during the early 20th century and a biblical perspective shaped by his exposure to the black church and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

A “Cindy” called me Sunday and left a two-minute phone message skewering the story, and added a lengthy e-mail.

Her message:

"Your Sunday morning pre-election hit piece on President Obama is an outrage! ‘Is he the right kind of Christian?’ ‘He’s been called the anti-Christ.’ Really? It is disgusting, and doing it on a Sunday morning is an outrage."

I called Cindy at home and, after apologizing for her “cranky” message, she explained the source for some of her anger. She’s an Obama supporter living in a conservative state, and she said was on edge because of the election. She thought any article questioning Obama’s faith would convince people not to vote for him.

Another reader, “Muffin72,” had the opposite reaction. The reader thought the article was a puff piece on Obama:

"Nice CNN Obama PR piece trying to get a last grasp at another group of voters. … You can't support abortion and be a good Christian at the same time. ... Sorry, it just doesn't compute."

Other commentators asked when I would write a story asking if Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, was a Christian. One commentator frankly declared progressive Christianity was an “apostate form of false Christianity.”

One of most unusual comments came from a “Clarke.”

"John Blake, I do not care for your article. To be fair, please tell us in your own words, what is the right Jew, the right Mormon, the right Christian. Why CNN would let you write about any religion, is beyond me. Religion is a personal thing, and does not belong on your sleeve and for you to judge others is just wrong. Makes me wonder if there was not money exchanged for this article. Shame, shame on you and CNN."

I can assure you Clarke, no one paid me to write the story. Yet there was a payoff for me.

Most journalists love to get people talking about what they write. Though I’ll always wonder if some of the commenters actually read the entire article, I’m glad that a provocative question could generate so many follow-up questions, even angry ones.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Billy Graham • Christianity • Culture wars • Obama

soundoff (1,150 Responses)
  1. this guy

I can't wait for the first presidential candidate to decline comment for any questions of their religious/beliefs background and state that a presidential election campaign is no place for that topic.

October 24, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • William Demuth

I can wait for Hillary to admit she is a Wiccan, and fly around the next Presidential debate on her broom stick

October 24, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • myweightinwords

@William,

The origin of the "witch flying on a broomstick" is in actuality a misunderstanding of an ancient fertility ritual wherein a menstruating woman would "ride" a broomstick (straddle it and walk basically) over a field to bestow fertility and bounty on the field.

Your trivia for the day.

October 24, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • William Demuth

myweightinwords

Somehow the image suits Hillary to a "T"!

October 24, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  2. Reality Check

Obama is whatever he needs to be to win votes.

When he only had to worry about inner city Chicago, he went to an extreme black liberation church where he declared the pastor his spiritual mentor.

When he needed to worry about the entire country, he claimed he had no idea what was being said in that church and has voided all contact with it.

October 24, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • June

I am suggesting possibly the spirit of God led him to see the truth about this pastor, and helped him to move away from their influence. thats something that would be helpful to all of us, the protection to not be decieved. The Bible warns that in the end times many even the elect will be decieved.

October 24, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • June

Obama was raised in a Catholic Church, and worked with the Catholic Church in Chicago to help the people in poor areas of Chicago, and turned down many high payingn offers for a job to do this. You don't hear him being given credit for the wonderful things he has done. But God knows .

October 24, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • itsallaloadofbollocks

And Romney has been a model of consistency? He's flip-flopped on every topic related to the presidential nomination and race.

October 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Zandigra

June, where on earth did you come up with that? Obama was raised in a Catholic Church????????????? Whaaaaaaat? No, he was not. And his stint as a community agitator, I mean "community organizer" had nothing to do with the Catholic Church or with any other Christian church.

October 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
  3. C. Patrick

What happened to Freedom of Religion?

October 24, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • midwest rail

Nothing, why ?

October 24, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • drinnc

It is being replaced by freedom FROM religion

October 24, 2012 at 11:17 am |
  4. liz

Since they can't get away with saying he's black and that's why they won't vote for him, calling him Muslim in the next best thing to n****r

October 24, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • Reality Check

And rants like this are the way people like you try to keep focus off the fact that the only reason you support him is because you're infatuated with the color of his skin.

October 24, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • kdsmith

@liz as a white middle class democrat living in a rural conservative state (KY) that is notorisly racist, I have to agree with your statement. Why are we even discussing this? Who said that the president of this country had to be christain or must be white or must be a male or female for that matter. The President should be the person who represents with his/her actions and works what is best for the majority of this country not just a particular few or a certain set of people. I am a christain because I believe that there is a God and that Jesus was his son who died on the cross for our sins. However, I also believe in abortion rights not the process just as the right wing believes in the death penalty. Thou Shalt Not Kill did not have an astrick but right leaning christains have things that are a matter of convenience for them. Your either with me and believe exactly how I believe or you are against me. Period.....

October 24, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • Veritas

RC, Do you really believe that nonsense?

October 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • Primewonk

Sorry Reality, but Liz is right. Or maybe you can explain why half of all republicans in some red states think interracial marriage should be illegal?

October 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  5. PraiseTheLard

Obama's a fully-brainwashed Christian. Just like "W"... That's the reason I won't vote for him... (or Romney, for that matter...)

October 24, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

What he said.

October 24, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • Louis Trujillo

The Bible says "He without Sin cast the 1st stone". Are you a true Christian?

October 24, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • Pitbull

Your comment is ridiculous. I would rather have a Mormon in office who does believe in God, are family oriented people, who do a lot of mission work, unlike Muslims who are taught to lie, kill innocent people in a Jihad. Obama is a lying fool and there are so many videos of his comments to prove it. I voted for Romney and hope he wins.

October 24, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • June

What a joy to be brainwashed by the living God. I do believe he was stated to have put in the prayer wall in Jerusalem a note saying to God, let me be your instrument. I hope that was true

October 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • Veritas

Pitbull, Please provide links to Obama saying he's a Muslim. You know you can't.

October 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  6. drinnc

Obama knew only Islam until he meet and learned Christianity from the Jeremiah Wright. Then when ask if he had converted Obama to Christianity, Jeremiah said "I'm really not sure". I submit that if your learn about Christianity from the Jeremiah Wright, then you have learned nothing.

October 24, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • Louis Trujillo

You are incorrect. Pull up Obama's profile and learn the truth. Wilkepida is a good source.

October 24, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • C. Patrick

His mother was a Unitarian Universalist, not Muslim, and she raised him.

October 24, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • drinnc

Lou: You are incorrect. In an interview with Jeremiah Wright, He said that Obama came to him and said that he knew all about Islam and nothing about Christianity, and asked If Wright would teach him.

October 24, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • myweightinwords

In fact, he went to a Catholic school during his childhood. I dare say he learned about Christianity there.

October 24, 2012 at 11:22 am |
  7. Rational Libertarian

Basically, Obama either believes in magic carpenters or he's disingenuous. Neither bodes well.

October 24, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • LinCA

Welcome to US politics.

Everything else being equal, I prefer someone who only pretends to be deluded.

October 24, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • William Demuth

Nah.

Carefull Rational. If every Psuedo-Christan was outed at once, we might find we had a surplus of crucifexes on the market.

Could collapse the economy.

I have undertaken an RD project to see if they can be modified so as to vibrate, making them play a dual role and saving our economy. Until then, please don't out them all

October 24, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • Louis Trujillo

What planet do you come from? Where do you come up with such logic?

October 24, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • Fernando

Someday we may find that he has been an agnostic or atheist all along. There are a lot of indicators, but his pragmatism suggests this more than anything he has ever said. Forty four presidents; 43 Protestant and one Catholic. What are the odds? It's highly unlikely this is the first time this country was run by a non-believer. It gives me some comfort.

October 24, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • Fernando

Louis Trujillo
      It's called Earth and it's somewhere near five billion year old – not the 6000 year-old version. His logic seems bullet-proof to me. EIther be governed by someone who believes in magic or be governed by someone who only pretends to believe in magical things in order to govern; the preferable choice should be obvious.

October 24, 2012 at 11:39 am |
  8. John

Mr. Blake,

What are you doing asking about the Presidents Christian faith when it's Mitt Romneys Beliefs that are much more alarming? Special Planets, Special Underwear, Jesus and Satan were Brothers, the Garden of Eden was in Missouri. And then there's the whole Fairy tale story that makes "Alice In Wonderland" look Credible. Of course the Polygamy is a serious problem, the Heretical aspects of not believing in the Holy Trinity, the Misogynist treatment of women and the shameful discrimination of Black congregants. The list goes on and on. How about shining some light on this Mr. Blake? If Romney someday has the power to send our sons and daughters to war, I think it's very appropriate to inquire about specifically what he believes. If Americans are comfortable with those facts and choose to elect him President, then so be it, but its your Job as a Professional Journalist and American to make sure the Electorate is Informed First.

October 24, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

How are Romney's beliefs more alarming? Both are equally retarded.

October 24, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • Louis Trujillo

John, Many consider Romney belonging to a cult Religion. Do you?

October 24, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • Jo-Ann

OMG you have hit the nail on the head! Why is no one writing about Romney's "faith" – which by the way has never been recognized as a Christian religion by the protestants in America. And only until Billy Graham sold out to him a week ago and removed the statement from their website that Mormonism is a cult, did it get any attention. BILLY GRAHAM – what a disappointment. All the Christian RIGHT cares about is whether he is pro-life (and who knows if he really is given that he can't seem to make a commitment to ANYTHING as a potential president). That's it. If you read the article exposing how he was brought up in the Mormon faight -they TRULY believe that HE is going to rule the world and that he will bring the Mormon faith into politics and THEY will rule. IF THAT isn't "the anti-Christ" I don't know what is. NO the issue with people hating Obama and calling him the anti-christ and not Christian is that they cannot tolerate seeing a black man in the Whtie House. This nation nas NOT come nearly as far as one would have hoped in the area of tolerance and racism. They're still out there and they have a grip on the Republican party. So sad and so scary.

October 24, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • June

Finally someone else has read their website and understands what is at stake. thank you for saying so. I as well am alarmed that the mormans faith claim to be the True Church. but added Joseph Smith in the 1830's to the Bible, and claim he was annointed by three apostles who came down from heaven, to earth and asked him to reform the church Jesus started. I find this unbelievable, since my Bible says do not add to or take away from this book or you will be not in the book of life .

October 24, 2012 at 11:38 am |
  9. petemg

Like it or not but Obama's actions say he is not Christian. True we should not sit in judgment but Obama started this whole religious thing when he declared this is not a Christian nation. When he would not acknowledge world day of prayer and yet he entertained Muslims during their religious holiday. World day of prayer is the gathering of all peoples to pray. A Christian does not have to say again and again that they are Christian and how they pray. Why do people criticize Mr. Romney's religion. We put a man in office not his faith.

October 24, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Observer

petemg,

Obama CORRECTLY stated that we are not just a nation of Christians.

The world prayer day NONSENSE is just another rightwing lie.

Do some RESEARCH next time.

October 24, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • myweightinwords

Funny, as a non-Christian, Obama's actions tell me he IS Christian.

Actually, this whole religious "thing" started long before that. And, his statement is the straight up truth. We are not a Christian nation. We are a nation that has predominately Christian citizens, but that is changing. Our foundation is freedom, not faith. Our laws are built around freedom, not the bible.

I am not Christian, yet I am forced to honor Christian holidays every year (Christmas and Easter primarily). I get Christmas off of work, but if I want my holy days off, I have to take vacation. A president who honors other faiths on their holy days should be welcomed and respected for respecting ALL of the US citizens.

World day of prayer is the gathering of all peoples to pray.

No, it isn't. It's a gathering of Abrahamic faiths to pray. It doesn't represent all people.

And yet they do. All the time. Everywhere you look.

Not everyone does criticize Mr. Romney's religion. I don't subscribe to it, I don't believe it, but he has as much right as I do to his own personal faith. Just as Mr. Obama does. Just as you do.

October 24, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • Louis Trujillo

Who died and left you Judge?

October 24, 2012 at 11:23 am |
    • June

It is impossible to seperate the two , man and faith or lack of faith

October 24, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  10. Fernando

He's faking it; he's too religious; he's the wrong religion, he's really a Muslim; well at least he's not a Mormon; he's anti-Semitic, his minister hates whites; Communism is his religion; he was never born again; I suspect he's an atheist; he's a political Christian; he's a pro-choice anti-Christian; he's a gay pandering agnostic; at least he's not Catholic; he's into mysticism; he's a Swahili Sunni; I pray he loses; I pray he confesses and testifies; he's the AntiChrist.
    I love it! Keep all the wacked-out religious hatred coming. Nobody hates like a good Christian. What would Jesus say to all you hate-filled Christians?

October 24, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • Louis Trujillo

Talk about "Wackos". Excuse me.

October 24, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • June

As a believer I always like others to hear the truth, please don't say I hate, because I want others to hear the Truth.Jesus Christ is the Way The Truth and The Life and no one comes to the Father but by Jesus Christ. This is the one most important thing for you to understand in your life time hear on earth.

October 24, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • kdsmith

Why does it matter what religion he is. The mainstream muslim faith is not about violence anymore than the mainstream christain faith is. Both religions have their extremism views, go look up the Crusades and tell me how peaceful the early beginnings of Christainity was.

October 24, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • mimachela

Fernando, y tu que eres? Cristiano? No lo creo, estas lleno de odio. Jesus dijo que amaras a tu projimo, no hay que ser tan racista. Me da pena por ti.

October 24, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
  11. VIC

Well, reading this story sure puts a different spin on Obama's christian values right? wrong! why is Obama always
    disregarding traditional christian holidays and welcoming all the islamic holidays to be honored? WHEN ARE YOU DEMOCRATS IN PUBLICATION EVER GOING TO BE TRUTHFUL ABOUT WHAT YOU WRITE? I CAN PLAINLY SEE NEVER!!

October 24, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • William Demuth

Because he is a politician Sherlock!!

Sheesh, you really have the mind worms pretty bad huh?

October 24, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • Louis Trujillo

The truth of the matter is, your favorite guy spins like a top',he's great on the "Teeter Todder" It was proven on the last debate he had with Obama.

October 24, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • June

Because he is respectful of all Americans to serve their own religion.

October 24, 2012 at 11:47 am |
  12. William Demuth

A belief in imaginary beings should prevent your access to nuclear weapons

Crazy is bad. Crazy with nukes is dangerous.

October 24, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  13. mikey

What happened to the idea of seperation of state and religion?
    Right wing Christian nut jobs have no business spewing their mouths off.

October 24, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • Mark L M

Hmmmm, funny how a democrat doesn't support freedom of speech when it doesn't agree with his opinion.

October 24, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • midwest rail

Criticism is not restriction.

October 24, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  14. Jackie

In politics, what does anyone's "religion" matter? Whatever they believe should be left at the door. Separation of church and state.

October 24, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

Belief in magic carpenters is an issue for any profession.

October 24, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Tom in ATL

Separation, really? That's what you got out of this? We're talking the moral values of your president. So if he's wining and dining women every other night, you're good with that? Sleeping with other men, good? For me, I'd prefer someone that knows where Truth comes from and relies on GOD's wisdom to lead us. Very different worldviews between you and me.

October 24, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • this guy

^^^ Tom in ATL is also a DUMB person.

October 24, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • Tom in ATL

Nice one, "this guy". That intelligence of yours is shining through! Go get em.

October 24, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • this guy

@ Tom in ATL

thanks, maybe one day someone like me can "save" you from religion.

October 24, 2012 at 11:32 am |
    • Louis Trujillo

Jackie, I agree with you 100%. Just remember. There are those who stand by the Road Side ready to throw Rocks. That's because they have Rocks in their Head.

October 24, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • June

Perhaps you would want a Satinest to be your President?

October 24, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  15. Jake Rockwel

Religion has No place in running a country accepting all... Any faith would prove to be bias to their Ideals. I'd vote for Romney if his religion didn't drive him to taking away women's rights to their own body and well being. We should go ask him that in fact he believes in polygamy? I cant vote for Obama either... Hes killing our economy.. We are screwed.
    Sort story Is I could care less what Religion Obama is..

October 24, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • Jackie

I love you, Jake. 😉

October 24, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • June

The faith of a man is who you are. i have heard Obama say with his own mouth he is a Christian and believes that Jesus Christ is his Savior. thats enough for me

October 24, 2012 at 11:07 am |
    • Tom in ATL

Yes, and Muslims are taught in the Quran that lying is ok if it furthers their plans.

October 24, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • Kathleeen Martin

Jake...He already did state that he does not belong to the Branch of the Mormon Church that split from the mainstream Mormon Church over 100 years ago...I personally don't care less about his Religion, but rather his ability to truly be a man that can properly represent America...I go not on his Race or Religion, but on little things, he ACTUALLY believes that American planes are unsafe, as there was a small fire in the serving section of a plane his wife was on a couple weeks ago, and the Cabin was consumed with smoke briefly, so he feels that the windows should (I IMAGINE) at the control of the Pilot have a master unlock so Air could get in the windows of the Planes... DUHHH at thousands of miles in space, letting air in the windows is a REAL Bad idea...then on Monday when Mr Romney stated that Iran has the best water route to Syria....well Sir, by Canoe maybe...on tiny rivers..however Iran and Syria have NO large body of water to link them...plus just a ton of little things...Mr Romney is just not ready to be President, he may have good values and a lovely family but he needs more time to step away from just Business Corporation mentality into genuine realization of all that is entailed in running a Country... Money isn't all it takes...

October 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  16. Kathleeen Martin

I agree with much of what others say. But I can't see what on earth the President's Religion matters??? When the country is Triillions in a deficit position, there are 25 at least War ships sitting relatively close to Iran waiting, just waiting... When every time he TRIES to pull more armed forces out of Iraq, some other disaster occurs, when USA has the highest murder rate with unregistered guns, and a horrific need for more jobs, and an Ecological mess that we are creating, for our Great grandchildren to have to try to undo.. Why does it matter if he is Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, believes in the Native Spirit Gods or any other Religion???? Who is to say that one day there many not be a President of Chinese Descent, or GEE Wiz perhaps Native People's decent as after all America was theirs first.... I think people need to really start worrying about the Issues that seriously matter, and not what Religion the President worships quietly inside himself...

October 24, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • June

The spirit of faith inside of you guides and protects you in decernment when their is an issue. Its vitally important for a leader with such great burdens of responsibility. Put yourself in the Presidents place and it is a frightening thing to feel you would be on your own without help from God.

October 24, 2012 at 11:11 am |
  17. Kathleen

The articles in this "Belief" seciton are always the most inane and unworthy of a news organization.
    It's pretty obvious that facts and education don't belong in a religious section - so get rid of the religion section and leave it to the backwater rubes in the Bible Belt.

October 24, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • Kathleeen Martin

OH I am WITH U...I was just Venting... It seems so trivial compared to everything else going on...the OBVIOUS Issue is for the people to Vote for the man they seriously feel will do the best job for America, even if it comes down to a choice based mainly on who will do the most for Middle Class America.

October 24, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • HamsterDancer

CNN has said before that the Belief articles on this website are one of the most trafficked areas here. It pulls people in constantly. Why in the world wouldn't you keep this section going if it brings all this attention?
      Whether you think the article writers are stupid or great. Whether you think the articles themselves are bad subjects or good, it doesn't matter in the end.

Having the Belief section on the CNN site is good business.

October 24, 2012 at 11:16 am |
  18. this guy

the human population will only evolve when religion dies

October 24, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • Tom in ATL

Unfortunately for you, you'll probably die before you realize you're GOD's creation and He has a purpose for your life. I suggest reading your Bible to learn how much He loves you. Start with the book of John. It will transform your life (and your eternity) forever.

October 24, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • this guy

@Tom in ATL

I highly doubt it...i'm an intelligent individual.

October 24, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • June

that will never happen, God is in control and always was and always will be. your intelligence is flawed or your preceptionn of intelligence. you need to get a Bible and study the scriptures and repent of your sins and let God save your soul.

October 24, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • Tom in ATL

and exactly how does your intelligence keep you from dying? When that day comes and you're face to face with the GOD of creation, I guarantee you'll have a different story than..."I'm an intelligent individual".

October 24, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • this guy

@ June and Tom in ATL

"I suggest reading your Bible to learn how much He loves you. Start with the book of John. It will transform your life (and your eternity) forever."

this is why im intelligent and you are not imo.

October 24, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • this guy

@june

I also disagree with your notion that religion wont evetually die out. Assuming the human population doesnt die off first, the idea of religion will eventually be replaced with something else and christianity will die off as well as every other man has conjured up with their creative imagination.

October 24, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • HamsterDancer

It is unlikely that the need for spirituality will die out in humanity. It has been shown that this sense is literally hard-wired into the human brain. Below is one video by a Dr. Andrew Newberg who has done research on the subject. Why this is can be argued about. Does it provide an evolutionary advantage for an intelligent being to believe he is connected to a higher force and gives incentive to survive and continue to propagate? Or is it the physical links to an actual force, Intelligence, or underlying structure that sustains existence? Well, you can argue about it amongst yourselves. But one thing is clear from this: mankind will never "grow out of" a spiritual desire. We are literally built for it.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxREBlWvxfk&w=640&h=360]

October 24, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
  19. Scott in Texas

Both Romney and Obama are good men, and this is obvious to other good men. Nothing else really matters.

October 24, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • Robert Anderson

Thanks for saying that, Scott. It's the most sane thing I've heard anyone say during this whole election season. And I say that as someone who is a rabid partisan.

October 24, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • June

The bible says no man is good and falls short of the glory of God .In mans eyes I guess you can offer your opinion, but to put faith in man is warned against in the Bible. You must put your faith in Jesus Christ

October 24, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

Define good. Romney and his ilk want to control womens' bodies. Obama and his ilk want to steal money from hard working citizens to fund lazy welfare scroungers. Is that good?

October 24, 2012 at 11:07 am |
    • this guy

^^^ June is an example of a dumb person.

October 24, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Observer

this guy,

Grow up and learn some respect for others.

October 24, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • this guy

Observer,

thanks for the parenting. sorry if my opinion of what someone says upset u. that doesnt take away from the validity of it.

October 24, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • Zerg

Just because main stream Christians don't agree with his take on the christian faith doesnt mean that he isn't what he claims to be. If the man feels like he is a Christian, thats what matters. Personally I see a hybrid in Obama, he has been around many different beliefs system and obviously that would play a part on his life. Obama at some point did call himself a muslim but faith changes. I find him to be very respectful to all religions and even non religious groups, and I think that respect sometimes gets translated by people as non-christian. Is it un-Christian to sympathise with Muslims? If anything I think Jesus was very inclusive, the idea that even if you were a sinner and still be a christian says it all;so I don't see why you can't be a christian if thats what you define yourself as.

October 24, 2012 at 11:30 am |
  20. Lee

Reading these comments are simply unbelievable. I was under the impression that God was man's judge, not fellow men!
    It appears that people have nothing better to do than criticize the leader of our country and I'm real sure that sends many mixed signals out to other countries. All these people that sit back and constanly criticize would probably crash and burn if they had to sit in the oval office for one single day.

October 24, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • Scott in Texas

Most of the people that hate on these men are just transferring their own negative character.

October 24, 2012 at 10:58 am |

You got it right.

October 24, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • LinCA

@Lee

You said, "I was under the impression that God was man's judge, not fellow men!"
      All gods are inventions of men. So what's the difference?

October 24, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • Seyedibar

Men are the highest known order of being in the universe. We can judge whomever we want, even the gods that we created or the people unintelligent enough to believe in them.

October 24, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Jacquelyn

Lee the first thing I thought about was the event in the Bible that referenced Jesus and the woman at the well. He knew that she had five husbands, but he told her to go bring her husband. This I believe was a way in which to show her Grace and Mercy. This abortion thing is very deceptive and it is used as a mantra for people in religion to make people believe that they love God. These people don't even like themselves. I see the Conservative Movement as the "The Law" and the Democratic Movement as "Grace. I wish I could say all I want to say! Not enough space. These Religious fanatics need to read and get to know the Jesus Christ they say they follow.

October 24, 2012 at 11:10 am |