home
RSS
Look at Obama’s faith draws criticism, praise
Some readers thought we went too far by asking why some thought President Barack Obama was the "wrong kind of Christian."
October 24th, 2012

Look at Obama’s faith draws criticism, praise

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - People have all sorts of questions for presidential candidates in an election year. But there was one question I asked last weekend that scores of readers griped about:

Why do so many people doubt President Barack Obama’s faith?

Obama has talked publicly about his faith for years, but doubts persist. Why? Was it race? Was he a different kind of Christian than his predecessors? How can anyone judge whether another person is a Christian?

Those are some of the questions I presented in the article. The reaction was stunning: more than 8,000 comments, 25,000 Facebook shares, 700 tweets and citations on political websites such as Talking Points Memo and the Washington Monthly.

Praise and criticism came from all political sides - liberals and conservatives both liked the piece and loathed it. Some saw it as a ringing defense of the progressive Christian traditions that shaped Obama’s faith. Others thought I was trying to sabotage the president's re-election chances with an unfair question.

The comments from readers tended to land on certain themes.

He’s not Christian - no matter what anybody says:

I got the impression that if Obama were suddenly surrounded by an angelic host during a press conference, and the voice of God declared, “He is not a Muslim,” some still would not believe it.

A reader named “Paul” put it this way:

"Sorry, the premise that Obama is a new kind of Christian is, in my opinion, just flat wrong. He is a Muslim."

Who gets to determine if someone is a Christian?

Other readers took offense at some pastors in the article who declared that Obama couldn’t be a Christian because he never talked about being “born again” and he supported same-sex marriage and abortion rights.

The article mentioned several prominent conservative Christians - including Focus on the Family founder James Dobson and the Rev. Franklin Graham, the son of Billy Graham - who questioned Obama’s faith.

One pastor in the article, the Rev. Steven Andrew, author of “Making a Strong Nation,” even said that he thought Obama was “an anti-Christ.”

A reader identified as “C. J Mills” wrote:

"These ministers represent the kind of Christianity that makes me reluctant to say to people I don't know that I'm a Christian, and the kind of speakers for the faith that drove all my children out of churches because they would not put up with such judgmentmentalism. ..."

A ‘hit’ piece on Obama?

What was most surprising to me was the reaction of Obama supporters. The article featured several progressive Christians who said the sources for Obama’s faith are not sinister. The president’s faith is influenced by a brand of liberal Protestantism that dominated American public life during the early 20th century and a biblical perspective shaped by his exposure to the black church and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

A “Cindy” called me Sunday and left a two-minute phone message skewering the story, and added a lengthy e-mail.

Her message:

"Your Sunday morning pre-election hit piece on President Obama is an outrage! ‘Is he the right kind of Christian?’ ‘He’s been called the anti-Christ.’ Really? It is disgusting, and doing it on a Sunday morning is an outrage."

I called Cindy at home and, after apologizing for her “cranky” message, she explained the source for some of her anger. She’s an Obama supporter living in a conservative state, and she said was on edge because of the election. She thought any article questioning Obama’s faith would convince people not to vote for him.

Another reader, “Muffin72,” had the opposite reaction. The reader thought the article was a puff piece on Obama:

"Nice CNN Obama PR piece trying to get a last grasp at another group of voters. … You can't support abortion and be a good Christian at the same time. ... Sorry, it just doesn't compute."

Other commentators asked when I would write a story asking if Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, was a Christian. One commentator frankly declared progressive Christianity was an “apostate form of false Christianity.”

One of most unusual comments came from a “Clarke.”

"John Blake, I do not care for your article. To be fair, please tell us in your own words, what is the right Jew, the right Mormon, the right Christian. Why CNN would let you write about any religion, is beyond me. Religion is a personal thing, and does not belong on your sleeve and for you to judge others is just wrong. Makes me wonder if there was not money exchanged for this article. Shame, shame on you and CNN."

I can assure you Clarke, no one paid me to write the story. Yet there was a payoff for me.

Most journalists love to get people talking about what they write. Though I’ll always wonder if some of the commenters actually read the entire article, I’m glad that a provocative question could generate so many follow-up questions, even angry ones.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Billy Graham • Christianity • Culture wars • Obama

soundoff (1,150 Responses)
  1. smk

“Proclaim, He is the One and only GOD. The Absolute GOD. Never did He beget. Nor was He begotten. None equals Him." [112:1]

“They even attribute to Him sons and daughters, without any knowledge. Be He glorified. He is the Most High, far above their claims.” Quran [6:100]

“The example of Jesus, as far as GOD is concerned, is the same as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him, "Be," and he was.” Quran [3:59]

“No soul can carry the sins of another soul. If a soul that is loaded with sins implores another to bear part of its load, no other soul can carry any part of it, even if they were related. ... [35:18]

It does not befit God that He begets a son, be He glorified. To have anything done, He simply says to it, "Be," and it is. [19:35]

God will say, "O Jesus, son of Mary did you say to the people, `Make me and my mother idols beside God?' " He will say, "Be You glorified. I could not utter what was not right. Had I said it, You already would have known it. You know my thoughts, and I do not know Your thoughts. You know all the secrets.[5:116]

The Messiah, son of Mary is no more than a messenger like the messengers before him, and his mother was a saint. Both of them used to eat the food. Note how we explain the revelations for them, and note how they still deviate! [5:75]

(they are condemned) for disbelieving and uttering about Mary a gross lie. [4:156]

Thanks for taking time to read my post. Please take a moment to clear your misconception by going to whyIslam org website.

When My servants ask you about Me, I am always near. I answer their prayers when they pray to Me. The people shall respond to Me and believe in Me, in order to be guided. Quran [2:186]

October 24, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • William Demuth

HULK WILL SMASH
      Avengers #2, page 4, box 6

Now I know it would be silly to base my life on a comic book

Why don't you?

October 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  2. vtguy

Obambam religious beliefs???? Just ask the Reverend "I Hate All Whites" who Obambam used to go and listen to.

October 24, 2012 at 11:41 am |

Sharing your faith?

I am spirtual but find too many people get tied into an organized religion that distorts the moral authority that guides us.

As a 20th century religion, I find it extremely disturbing that we don't know anything about the Mormon belief and what guides his motives. I think it should be looked at if only to clarify the rumors:
      Jesus raised from the dead in the US and spoke to a lost tribe of Isreal?
      When you die, you become a God of a planet, as our God is of this planet?
      The "Exceptualism" of America is akin to the "chosen" land of Isreal?
      Women are not allowed into heaven unless tied to a man?

Though some of these sound different from mainstream religous views in America – I think it is important to know what guides Mitt

October 24, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

When did Reverend Wright ever say he hates whites? That's total garbage because the Reverend never said that. Furthermore, Reverend Wright talking from a historical standpoint gave a speech about America's place in the world past and present. He spoke about racial inequality and injustices in America, slavery and the plight of Native Americans. He talked about the Vietnam war and Heroshima and Nagasaki during WWII and the Gulf wars. He talked about what we needed to do as a nation to repair these injustices and move forward as a nation. I'm a big fan of the History Channel on cable network and every year I tune in, I see programs dedictaed to each and every one of the above topics Reverend Wright spoke about. So when is it a crime for Americans to talk about their own history? And by the way, do high school and college professors get reprimanded for talking about our history and the role we played in world history?

For the past four years, right wing extremists in congress and across America have behaved in ways that could be classified as nothing other than detrimental to the sovereignty and growth of our society. And whether it was Ted Nugent or Judge Tom head calling for a civil war if our President is re-elected to tea party extremists using threats of intimidation to influence policy in Washington or their base resorting to all sorts of derogratory and racially divisive language or civil disobedience and perpetrating all sorts of acts of domestic terrorism to undermine our democracy, or Sarah Palin painting crosshairs on a map of Congresswoman Giffords district, motivating a gunman's deadly rampage to people taking rifle shots at the White House, let's face it, our democracy has never been at a greater threat than it was on 9/11/01.

Please take a good look in the mirror before you begin to point fingers. You people might learn something about yourselves.

October 24, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  3. Planet Kolob

All who deny Zeus perish in Tartarus forever.

Repent and embrace the Greek gods!

October 24, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  4. Bruce

My my my; where do I start? The people in the United States are slowly becoming the divided people in the United States. Who put "you" in charge to determine what is the right anything? Live and let live is the most practical approach to getting this country and any other for that matter back on the track of healing and being united in just being. We can learn a lot from looking into the atmosphere and seeing how the galaxy and beyond peacefully get along or is aligned to balance what we call an existence. Lets stop speculating that we have or know the reason for anything we can't control.

October 24, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • BU2B

Because one nation under god IS divisible.

October 24, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  5. just sayin

Why do so many people doubt President Barack Obama’s faith?

HIs name ryhmes with Osama and rednecks have figured out how to blog.

October 24, 2012 at 11:38 am |
  6. UtahNonMormon

If you want to know why Romney should be judged for his religion YouTube this BEHIND THE VEIL.

Mormons are crazy and why I will never vote for them....

October 24, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Annirich

and how do you feel about Islam? Because that is Obo's faith. The inscription on his ring that he wears on his left ring-finger is that of Shahada, the first of the five pillars of Islam and is the proclamation of the Islamic faith.

October 24, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • BU2B

Think for a sec, Mormonism isn't any more far-fetched than any other religion.

October 24, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • UtahNonMormon

I have had 40+ years to think of it....they are nuts

October 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • June

I like you am very disturbed about the beliefs I have read on the Mormans own website. They do not believe in the Trinity of God the Father,Son, and Holy Spirit. They believe Joseph Smith in 1830's had a visit from the apostles , who came down to earth and annointed Joseph Smith as a prophet, with instructions to reform the church begun by Jesus, and therefore believe that they are that True Church. They also beleve that Christ did not die for all sins on the Cross....they do not believe that a man can be forgiven for murder...specifically stated on that website. on the questions from others and their answers under beliefs..

October 24, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  7. theoryorexperience

Thought Obama's speech in 2008 mentioning biblical passages that support slavery and stoning your own children if they stray from the faith was gutsy. It's a rational argument against literalism. I think in the end we have to choose the passages that we instinctively agree with to inspire us further.

October 24, 2012 at 11:38 am |
  8. ROMNEY2012

A Vote for OBAMA might as hell be a vote for HITLER!

Vote for MITT ROMNEY! The Chosen One of the LORD!

October 24, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • palintwit

Forget Obama and forget Romney. Sarah Palin is the only one who can heal and re-unify our country. She is the "right" kind of Christian and she will see to it that we all get more of the Baby Jesus in our daily lives. But first she must return to her motorhome and resume her cross country tour. She will have to visit cities both large and small, taking care to speak only to "real Americans", dispensing her sage advice and folksy, homespun common sense solutions. We can be a great nation once again if we all just follow the Palin Path. It is our only hope...

October 24, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • BU2B

Well, since the "LORD" is all made up in your head, and Mitt is the candidate that you choose, then technically your second statement is true.

October 24, 2012 at 11:46 am |

Sharing your faith?

Jesus raised from the dead in the US and spoke to a lost tribe of Isreal?
      When you die, you become a God of a planet, as our God is of this planet?
      The "Exceptualism" of America is akin to the "chosen" land of Isreal?
      Women are not allowed into heaven unless tied to a man?

October 24, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • June

reverse those names

October 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  9. Maria

Who cares what religion (if any) does President Obama has????? He is a good man and acts much more christian than many christian people......including the "born again" christian, who many of them are just greedy and judgmental . Think about it !!

October 24, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • Annirich

"Good Man"? Exactly how is he a "good man"? I see nothing in him; he's is anti-American, anti-Business, anti-Republic! His destruction of America will continue if re-elected. No doubt about that

October 24, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • TheEyeofGodisWatchingYou

Annirch – you clearly must be a racist because nobody talks about our savior obama like that!

October 24, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  10. jobowski

You have got to be kidding me! If anyone has an education higher than kindergarten would know that Romney is hiding his Mormon faith. Ryan is advocating for the catholic church. Why aren't those who are members of Mormon "cult" disappointed? What about polygamy?

October 24, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • NIck

Just so you know, Obama's family in Kenya believes and STILL practices polygamy. Obama's father Barrack Sr. was a polygamist and had many wives and children with other women.

October 24, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • TheEyeofGodisWatchingYou

hey nick, if obama was from kenya. Then why don't he go back to africa for the holidays to stay with his family. Everyone knows hes from Hawaii!

October 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
  11. Josh

The more disturbing question is why does anybody care? It's disgusting that people call him a Muslim like it's something derogatory because they disagree with him. It's amazing how far people can get their head stuck up their @ss.

October 24, 2012 at 11:35 am |
  12. Larry

People need to get a life and stop worrying about the presidents faith. GOD doesn't look at what your religion is, he looks at your heart. This man is trying to do people a service as president. What we need to do as a nation is pray for the president or whoever gets in office stop passing judgement.

October 24, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • kevin

Our President is a Coward........he watched in his office the attack of our Embasy, watched "live" as american citizens were murdered. What did he do.......went to bed. 2 Americans tried for hours to protect themselves and asked for help.......He refused to send in an assult force.........then the coward tried to hide his cowardly actions.....

October 24, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • My friend worked in that Consulate

You are simply wrong on this – very, very wrong.

October 24, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • TheEyeofGodisWatchingYou

We need a president thats read the book "The Art of War" and follows in the footsteps of great leaders. Faith doesn't stop a bullet from killing your son from an islamic child. Not being in the line fire does. That might sound too scientific for this crowd today. You are a war monger Mr. President just like Bush and his nattzi daddy.

October 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
  13. Jeremy

So much hate....

October 24, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  14. stacey

I am a BAC. I have a feeling of Christian Brotherhood about Billy Graham, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, George Bush, Martin Luther King (when I saw him on video -he was ahead of my time) and Rev. Al Sharpton. I don't have that feeling with President Obama. I had that feeling with Jimmy Carter even though I disagreed with him and Al Sharpton whom I greatly respect because of what he talks about. That is why Christian America doubts..even though I am not sure that the Obama's are muslim. You have a feeling/gut instinct that these are men of faith but I just don't get that with Obama.

October 24, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • DB

Stacey:

I'll be blunt: Just who do you think you are that you have any right to judge someone based on such preposterous notions of your "gut feeling"? What are those based on? Are you guessing? What is it "that he talks about" that gives you that "gut feeling"? And what part of HE IS NOT A MUSLIM do you not understand?

Do you think that reciting that list impresses anybody? Do you think that including some blacks and some Democrats somehow cancels out your stubborn refusal to accept that which as been demonstrated to you REPEATEDLY?

October 24, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • palintwit

That "feeling" you have is constipation.

October 24, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • Babs

Sometimes I'm ashamed to be called "Christian" because of people like you. You give everyone a bad name.

October 24, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • BU2B

All of this shouldn't even matter. The president's faith should be private and have no impact on his policies in office. Emphasis on "should".

October 24, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • stacey

Oh so having gut feelings makes a person bad? My gut instincts are typically correct. It helps to keep me out of dangerous situations and acts as a form of concience. Some people need to relax. I just made a statement and was met with such hate. I did not make a statement of hate. I just suggested that I could typically tell a Christian from a non Christian based on gut instinct.

October 24, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • DB

Hate? No. Stop whining about what a victim you are.

You were presented with reactions of shock, horror, and dismay that you are so ignorant and make judgments based on things you don't understand and refuse to make an effort to understand. Instead of crying that people are making you feel bad, WHY DON'T YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT by getting your head out of your tuchas? Educate yourself.

Or just wallow in ignorance and pout that people aren't respecting you for being ignorant. It's your choice.

October 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • NIck

@DB. Last I heard we live in America and we are free to have ' gut feelings ' about people. And you sound more like your judging then stacey! LOL

October 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • NIck

@db – The ring that Obama wheres on his ring finger as an inscription in Arabic that says ' there is no other God but Allah. ' And that is a fact. Obama's family in Kenya are muslims and practice polygamy. Obama's own pastor in chicago went on record as saying Obama came to his church only for political reasons and is said to have offered him 150k to shut his mouth up during the 2008 elections. Just stating the facts! I have a gut feeling he's a muslim. Is that okay with you or are we not living in America anymore? I thought liberals were supposed to be the ' tolerant ' ones? You worse than a conservative.

October 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • June

I am sorry for you. He is a Christian, and that allows him to believe in his Savior (Jesus Christ) therefore he is of no comdenation for Christ died for the forgiveness of sin, and he will be saved.

October 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • midwest rail

@ Nick – his ring says no such thing, that myth has been debunked so often it's amazing you fundiots still attempt to perpetuate such a worn out lie.

October 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  15. Alex

This is a stupid article. Religion has no place in governing a country. Unless you're in Afghanistan or Iran.

October 24, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • RealMenLoveJesus

The country was founded by Christians with Christian principals. That's what made the country great. The further you push God out of the picture the worse the...oh nevermind. There's still hope. You could call on God on your death bed after spending your life pushing him away- He's so graceful, he'll answer anyway. After 911 everybody was calling on Jesus...now He has no place? I leave you all to your stupidity! Good Day!

October 24, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  16. JuniorK

There should be an article explaining how Mormonism isn't Christian, and in fact is a cult.

October 24, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • Sharing your faith?

Jesus raised from the dead in the US and spoke to a lost tribe of Isreal?
      When you die, you become a God of a planet, as our God is of this planet?
      The "Exceptualism" of America is akin to the "chosen" land of Isreal?
      Women are not allowed into heaven unless tied to a man?

October 24, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • June

There is. their own website tells how they believe. just do a search for mormans and you can read it all yourself.Be sure to read it all, so you won't miss anything, particulary the sent in questiions that they answer.

October 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  17. Dave

I'd rather have an atheist as a president, then some Jesus loving lunatic.

October 24, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • Babs

There are days I agree with you. And I'm Christian. Sad

October 24, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • June

If you truly love Jesus you will not be a llunatic as you stated. The love of God will flow from your personality and those who are able to see will no you are fillled with the spirit of God.

October 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  18. theoryorexperience

PS–Was interesting to read about The Beloved Community in the original article. Hadn't known about it, hadn't known Obama's ideas and emotions about mutuality were rooted in it. That may be an answer for some who think he's a Marxist. Will research it further. Thank you.

October 24, 2012 at 11:29 am |
  19. FlyingPork

Why should anyone care whether Obama is a Christian or not? All I care about in a President is that he cares for his people and do the right things for his country.

October 24, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • DB

When you believe that nothing that happens on Earth really matters and that our only reason for existing is to fill heaven with as many souls as possible, "what's best for the country" becomes far less important.

October 24, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • niknak

Because for religious folks, it has everything to do with conformity.
      The more they can get to go along with the sky fairy myth, the more they can feel secure that their belief is true.
      That is why every religion has as one of it's tentants that one has to go out and convert others to it.
      They don't call themselves sheep in a flock for nothing.

October 24, 2012 at 11:32 am |
    • June

We show that we care because God 's commandment is that we spread the gospel to all mankind throughout the world.

October 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  20. Zeke2112

Still waiting for someone to explain why faith is necessary. "You have to have faith," they say. Why?

I have trust in things that I can expect to happen. I don't need faith that my wife loves me. I have years of evidence to support my trust that she does.

I don't need faith that the sun will rise tomorrow. I have access to research that explains stellar motion and phenomena to trust that it will.

I don't need faith that I will live on in an afterlife. I have evidence from medicine that I will take a long dirt nap, and if my life continues in another fashion, well, that's just gravy.

If faith comforts you, so be it. But trust in people and in the things you KNOW will get you a lot farther, and probably help you confront your fears and challenges rather than hoping things will get better.

October 24, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • niknak

They can't let go Zeke.
      These are weak willed individuals who know that their "unconditional love" friends and family will kick them out for non-conformity if they were to abandon their god myth and rely just on facts and observations.
      Plus, they have bought into the lie and going against it would mean they were wrong.
      One that about religious people, and the gop, is that they are NEVER wrong.

October 24, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • Glen

That's simple Zeke2112 Faith is the things we put our trust in those things that science has not proved yet in things unseen or unknow but spoke about specifically in the Bible. You have faith in the things you know have come to past over the years because the "creator" was the one that made all things and gives sustenance and continuity. Everything you have faith in comes from the faithful who is keeping His promise even though we chose to ignore Him and mock Him daily and pretend He does not exist.

Here is a nice chapter on Faith from the New Testament:

Hebrews 11:1-39

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

October 24, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • RealMenLoveJesus

Faith is necessary because it removes reliance upon yourself. The reason why Adam and Eve's sin was so bad is because in essence what they were saying is that they didn't need God. They could be their own gods. Faith requires that you give up on your own strength and depend, reply upon, have faith in God's power and love. The rason for the Ten Commandments was not to makes us live up to them, it was to show us that we are incapable of living in a way that would be prosperous, purposeful, meaningful, loving, righteous, whole, the way he meant for us to live without Him. It is the mirror that shows you how screwed up you are so you can turn to Him for life, love, health, happiness, purpose, meaning.

It is God's grace and mercy that keeps you and allows you to take the next breath, or allows you to give and receive love from your wife or any of the other millions of blessings we all take for granted from God everyday. It is that same breath that we use to speak against Him and the things of God. You mentioned love for your wife....I cannot tell by your post if you believe in God or not but to the non -believers...without God what is love? What's the reason for it? If you're just going to die and then pass into nonexistence then what is the purpose of love? Or children or fun or work or anything for that matter. If there is no God, your life is absolutely meaningless and there is no need to follow rules or love or plan or save or give or anything. What difference does it make? I figure if you can ask your question about the need for faith as if it's so deep and wise as to easily to stump anyone that would say that faith is required.. i can ask mine.

October 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • June

Faith is that which cannot be seen .after life here on earth, you will either be a beliver or not. those who believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior will obtain forgiveness of their sins, and will go to heaven to be with God.Those who refuse Jesus, and try to make it on their own will not be found in the book of life and will be condemned to be forever seperated from God.Preceeding to hell. These are the only two choices. I pray you will make the correct choice

October 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm |