home
RSS
Online conversations around Sandy feature God, prayer and atheism
A church sign from Sunday in a town on Long Island, New York.
October 30th, 2012

Online conversations around Sandy feature God, prayer and atheism

By Conor Finnegan, CNN

(CNN) - As millions of Americans begin to clean up from Superstorm Sandy, many will  turn to insurance companies to cover damages caused by an “act of God.” It’s legalese for natural disasters.

Some of the online conversation around Sandy have treated it as such an act, with the term “prayer” trending on Facebook on Monday, as the nation awaited the storm’s landfall.

We noticed four themes emerging that touch on God and religion on Facebook, Twitter and in CNN.com’s comments sections:

1. God bless: It was a message expressed by well-wishers around the world. Those spared by Sandy took to social media to show their support and sympathy as the images proliferated of New York’s flooded streets and New Jersey’s eroded beaches. Despite different faiths and nationalities, the upshot was the same: Our prayers are with you.

From Facebook:

Waleed Obaid My Prayers to all family and friends in NY and the rest of East cost OH Allah please help People to stay safe and no harm...

Darlene Guillen Bohorquez if this storm knocks you to your knees, you're in the perfect position to pray, and I will be praying with you. Keep safe and remember to help those in need in the aftermath.

Andrea Holmes My prayers go out to all the people who are affected by this storm. And praying does help. God is in control of everything whether you like it or not.

From Twitter:

Bishop Hanson ‏@bishophanson
Merciful God, for the millions who this night are experiencing the fury of Hurricane Sandy we pray for safety and comfort. Amen.

2. Thank God: For those caught in Sandy’s path, the conversation was different. More than 7.5 million in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast were without power on Tuesday. Those who could post online expressed gratitude, with “thankful” the 8th most shared term on Facebook by Tuesday morning. And from Twitter:

Demetrius Minor ‏@dminor85
Thanks to everyone who prayed for us during Hurricane Sandy. We were not affected. I thank God for that. Please pray for those who were.

Sam Gentile ‏@SamGentile
Thank God we escaped unscathed from Sandy except for power last night. This is unlike a lot of South Jersey that had lot of damage

3. God’s wrath: A small minority saw Sandy as God’s judgment.

This Tweet is from a leader of Westboro Baptist Church, the Kansas congregation known for its anti-gay pickets at military funerals:

Shirley Phelps-Roper ‏@DearShirley
We bow in humble thanks 2 God 4 Sandy! Thank God for a plain message delivered to a puddle of states that proudly flip Him off! #FagMarriage

We found these on Facebook:

Nikola Ilievski 24.03.1999. – 10.06.1999. God remembers everything, your NATO bombed us, now enjoy. Greetings from SERBIA!

Hassan Chandio -Disrespecting others religion. and destroying others country killing thousand and millions of people in afghanistan, libya and syria . this is what you get

4. God does not exist: Some used Sandy to question religion or at least the idea of blaming the storm on God, employing science, humor and venom. A back and forth between believers and nonbelievers sparked a tense conversation in the comments section on CNN.com.

From Facebook:

Johnny Trujillo Praying won't do any good. Send some aid or go volunteer if you really want to help. Talking to your imaginary friend won't do anything.

From Twitter:

Anonymous ‏@YourAnonNews

What do you think? What role should faith or God play in the conversation about Sandy? Post your thoughts in the comments section.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Comments • God

soundoff (2,260 Responses)
  1. Epidi

Or even be reincarnated? It takes a hardy soul to choose to come here to attain enlightenment and hone the higher self. This is the insane asylum of this section of the universe. I think I'll check out Orion's belt or Andromeda next time around.

October 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
  2. Doug

Has anyone heard Pat Robertson's thoughts on what caused Hurricane Sandy?

October 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Reasonably

Should anyone care?

October 30, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
  3. waitasec

god and faith have no place in this conversation as it becomes a distraction from what needs to be faced...how to move ahead.

October 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
  4. Dan England

Such hate in the world, and so quick to judge, and our decline continues... Now you have my name and email...

October 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
  5. The People Vs Tom Tom

What is prayer anyway? Do you people actually think you are telepathically communicating with something? If you do, I would make the argument that you are an insane person.

October 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • Jay

Spoken like a card-carrying, western, post-enlightenment, colonial rationalist.

October 30, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • Dissident Fairy

"What is prayer anyway?" It's the anticipation of things hoped for. I know a man who goes to church once a year, during the holidays, to pray to an idol for money. He repeats this process every year! Some prayers God obviously doesn't hear. That's why he gave us the 'Our Father Prayer' so we could use it as an example as to what is appropriate to pray for. The part that most people gloss over without giving much thought to is the part where it says, "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." When has God's will ever been done on earth? As a nation or as a whole? At no time that I know of. God doesn't want robots! He has allowed man freedom of choice, an inherent right of free will, to believe in him or not. The proper way to pray is to ask for his "kingdom to come" so that his will "will be done on Earth like it is in heaven."

October 30, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
  6. Dan England

Not so funny thing is, when those that defy God at every turn are themselves faced with such a disaster, they quickly turn there attention to God, who they never should have turned away from. God's patient, he'll wait, but perhaps he won't wait forever.. If you have never known him, perhaps you should start? So come on, Trolls and Flamers! let this believer have it, I can take it!!!

October 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • midwest rail

Proof that they turn to God ? Of course you can back up your assertion...

October 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • ialsoagree

The old "no atheists in a fox hole" argument has been debunked – debunked specifically by atheists in fox holes.

I rode out Sandy. I'm an atheist. There's no god to be found here. Move along folks, move along.

October 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • waitasec

tell me, how does one defy god?

October 30, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • Dan England

Midwest Trail, happens all the time! Even a drunk throwing up pray's to a God he may have never talked to before... I the time of Israel that was wiped out by Assyria, the Israelite's prayed like they had never prayed before, but they had turned away and there time of redemption was past.

October 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • midwest rail

So you have no contemporary proof of your assertion. Thank you.

October 30, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Brock Lambert

Dan,

You asked for it, I'll let you have it...Kudos to you my friend, I applaud you, and I'm not being sarcastic. Even though you apparently haven't learned the difference between the english words "there" and "their" (I shouldn't even mention the word "they're" which people mistakenly use all the time), I'm sure whatever God (notice I even capatilized it) you believe in still forgives you and welcomes you with open arms. You're a believer and I can certainly appreciate that, but I only request that you appreciate the fact that I do not. I don't believe not because I was brainwashed as a child, not because I'm stubborn and want to contradict good people like yourself in a public forum, but simply because I feel in my heart of hearts that we as humans have absolutely no clue as to why we are what we are and what the past, present, and future hold. To some people, that notion validates the very existence of God. To me (yes, I'm a science teacher, the HORROR), I think we as a species are beyond selfish to use one of many deities as a reason why people who are suffering should be praying. We have two undeniable jobs on this planet...SURVIVE and REPRODUCE. I won't be praying for those who are under Sandy's waters, just as I wouldn't want anyone praying for me if I were in the same situation. I will however be thinking of all the displaced people out there. Good luck and know that a fellow humanist wants you to survive and prosper after the storm.

October 30, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • Rick

@midwest rail

Are you seriously asking this guy for proof...?

October 31, 2012 at 12:52 am |
  7. Tom Tom The Lonely Online Egoist

Why wouldn't Christians pray for the death of people, seeing how heaven is the ultimate paradise? It seems cruel to want people to live in this world when paradise awaits. Any answers?

October 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • Live4Him

Paul stated: For me, to die is to gain and to live is for Christ.

October 30, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Awww, did I poke a hole in your little balloon? Gosh, I feel just terrible about that.

October 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • hyrum.white

The curious thing about all these comments is that despite them, the religious will continue to be religious and the non-religious will continue to be religiously non-religious.

October 30, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
  8. STOPIT

Why, when those that do not believe post a message decrying God, denying God, they post anonymously? Then to call God our Imaginary friend, you are here aren't you? how imaginary can God be?? How lonely you must be anonymous, how lonely indeed...

October 30, 2012 at 5:56 pm |
    • midwest rail

And yet your post is also anonymous....

October 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why aren't you posting your real name and address? Surely your god will protect you from cyberbullies, ident ity thieves, and burglars, right?

October 30, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • Observer

Speaking of posting anonymously, it's good to hear from you Mr. Stopit.

October 30, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • nojinx

Gods can be completely imaginary. We could spend eternity imagining new gods, and none of them would be any less likely or evidential than any of the gods that are worshiped today or have been in the past.

I noticed you posted anonymously. Why criticize what you yourself practice?

October 30, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

So sayeth the annonymous poster @STOPIT

"how imaginary can God be??

Certified 100% imaginary.

October 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • doctorbabaguy

I thought the person who referred to "imaginary friend" is named Johnny Trujillo. If not naming oneself is a proof of loneliness, then Johnny Trujillo must NOT be lonely. Thus, he IS an atheist yet is NOT lonely.

October 30, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • fools_gold

I amd definitely not lonely. Id be a lot more lonely should I put all my efforts and faith into an imaginary being and let my life run amok because I didnt take charge of it.

October 30, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Stephen Parton

@STOPIT Here is my name. I am not anonymous. I am not lonely I have a wife and two lovely children. I am an atheist. I'm here because of evolution and the fact that my parents decided to procreate. I was not created by an imaginary being. My parent's are very real and Christians at that. Education can do wonderful things.

October 30, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Rick

@STOPIT

Why do you care if we post our comments anonymously? Are you worried that God won't know who posted it?

October 31, 2012 at 12:53 am |
  9. Bayousara

The situation in the northeast is a tiny, tiny blink in Earth's history. And the bad stuff was aided by the very people who populate the area. Why are vast numbers of people living on Manhattan Island with its potential to flood as it has for centuries? Why do people in the area build homes right on the beaches? Why do they refuse to heed warnings to evacuate given for their safety and thus put others in jeopardy? All of this costs money which the rest of us wil have to pay for in one way or another. None of this has to do with "God" or any other magical thing. It has to do with stupidity.

October 30, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
  10. teamroper

I'll leave the scientists to prove everything else. I choose to believe in God.

October 30, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sure, because you don't have to think.

October 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • teamroper

Poor, poor tomtom. No room for others thoughts or beliefs...only his own.

October 30, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • Live4Him

@Tom: Where is the display of your thinking ability?

October 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm |

Where's yours?

October 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What is it you'd like me to do?

Show you my SAT scores?

October 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • nojinx

Why? and why not choose everything else you wish to believe in, if you do so regarding god?

A better question perhaps: why your particular god and not another that is known of/believed, or a new one that you create?

October 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
  11. Mothers United Against Tom Tom

Only 39 dead so far. Apparently god is a big fat pvssy.

October 30, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Awww. I'm flattered. You wouldn't be posting here if I hadn't dented your conscience.

October 30, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • fools_gold

Yeah, your LOVING god, killed them all. Including an 8 year old. Awesome god he is!

October 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
  12. Live4Him

@Huebert: And what caused the sun? There are two choices: God and Magic (via the singularity). The choice is yours.

October 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Wrong. There are many possibilities as to how the sun came into existence. Your limited brain is not a measure of possibility, you stupid git.

October 30, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • Observer

Only two choices? Get serious. There have been thousands of gods. Do some research.

October 30, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • teamroper

Atheist's are haters

October 30, 2012 at 5:52 pm |

teamropers are stupid.

October 30, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • Observer

teamroper,

Christians claim that atheists deserve to spend eternity burning in hell.

Now, what were you saying about hatred?

October 30, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Mothers United Against Tom Tom

Thermonuclear fusion. Science has answers.

October 30, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • Live4Him

@Observer: Yes, there are thousands of gods. That's not the point. Either you entertain the possibility of God's existence or you believe in magic. It's your choice.

October 30, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • Are_you_kidding?

The Big bang?

October 30, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • Live4Him

@Tom: Obviously, there aren't. Else, you would have mentioned them instead of resorting to ad hominems.

October 30, 2012 at 5:56 pm |
    • Observer

Live4Him,

There's not nearly as much magic in an atheist's life as in the Bible with its talking animals and unicorns.

October 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • Are_you_kidding?

What an unbelievable uneducation you have.

October 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • Live4Him

@Are_you_kidding: And the source of the big bang? Oh, right – it came from the singularity that I mentioned.

October 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • gager

The existence of god does not require magic or a god since god would be magic.

October 30, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why mention anything, honey? The fact is that you have no idea how the universe began. You simply choose to stop using your brain to think about how it might have occurred and instead, ascribe it to 'god'. I choose to think. I choose to read. I choose to imagine. I choose to accept that some things are not yet known, but that it doesn't mean some sky-fairy was responsible.

Who's more grounded in science and reality, you dumbfvcks?

October 30, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • nojinx

Can you support your claim that there are only two choices?

October 30, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
    • Clown Dentist Satan

Are you trying to say that the God option is not magic?

October 30, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
  13. Observer

Atheists don't "will" r@pe victims to get pregnant.

October 30, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

They don't "blame them" or "condemn them to give birth", either.

October 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • Live4Him

Do atheists want lazy students to get an A+ on a test?

October 30, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nah, we'd have flunked you out of junior high school and made you get a tutor, moron.

October 30, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
  14. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

October 30, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • Michael Andrews

If you are, indeed, "the train guy," I would venture to say that Atheism is just fine, and it is YOU who "...is not healthy for children and other living things..."
      Please seek mental health counseling. ๏_๏

October 31, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  15. Pete

Meant August not September.

October 30, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • tonykeywest

No one cares what you think I CAN READ:Jer 23:19 Behold, a whirlwind of the LORD is gone forth in fury, even a grievous whirlwind: it shall fall grievously upon the head of the wicked.

October 30, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

October 30, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  16. Mormonism is Dangerous

I might not say anything about this if I didn't think that both Mitt and Paul were not going to bring their religion into their public service for the U.S.'s highest office. That's a pretty frightening prospect, especially considering how unfounded and bizarre Mormonism is. Paul Ryan has even stated that he doesn't think he can separate his religion from his public service.

In 1996, the Smithsonian Institute issued a statement addressing claims made in the Book of Mormon, stating that the text is primarily a religious text and that archeologists affiliated with the institute found "no direct connection between the archeology of the New World and the subject matter of the book". The statement further describes that there is genetic evidence that the Native American Indians are closely related to peoples of Asia, and that archeological evidence indicates that the Native Americans migrated from Asia over a land bridge over the Bering Strait in prehistoric times. The statement said that there was no credible evidence of contact between Ancient Egyptian or Hebrew peoples and the New World, as indicated by the text of the Book of Mormon. The statement was issued in response to reports that the name of the Smithsonian Institute was being improperly used to lend credibility to the claims of those looking to support the events of the Book of Mormon.

The National Geographic Society, in a 1988 letter to the Institute for Religious Research, stated "Archaeologists and other scholars have long probed the hemisphere's past and the society does not know of anything found so far that has substantiated the Book of Mormon."

Of course there are other basic beliefs of Mormonism that have only faith as their foundation.

October 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • Jen

Paul Ryan is Catholic. Just like Joe Biden. Go back and look at the Debate between the two. That was the last question asked.

October 31, 2012 at 1:10 am |
  17. Terrell

You notice that no one ever see's anything as God's wrath? So I guess it was a coincidence that a storm hit on the same day as Katrina this year? Sandy was so historical that meteorologists were confused. God never has a wrath? OK.

October 30, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So god keeps the same calendar we do? Even though our calendar isn't based on the church calendar or the calendar that was used when Jeebus was born?

Does he have wristw atch, too?

October 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • Huebert

Terrell

It is in fact a coincidence that Sandy and Katrina hit on the same day. Also in order to have wrath god would first have to exist, which he does not.

October 30, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Tom Paine

You are confused in many ways. Katrina was not in October. And God is not in the business of sending hurricanes like bowling balls when he is unhappy.

October 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • saggyroy

God's wrath is for other people.

October 30, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Kona

Katrina hit in August, so not sure what your point is...

October 30, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • Pete

Katrina was in September not October.

October 30, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • Terrell

Hurrucane Isaac hit the same day as Katrina not Sandy.

October 30, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • Pete

Meant August not September,

October 30, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • Huebert

Terrell

What is your point?

October 30, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Terrell, go back to sleep and spare us all your silly nonsense and your supersti tions.

October 30, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Terrell

So what?

October 30, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • tonykeywest

fools get so tied up in the secondary causes that they forget the first cause of all things is God. Sandy was an adumbration of the final indignation to come.

October 30, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Dick (Announcer): Welcome everybody to the annual Atlantic bowling tournament. There's plenty of extra CO2 in the atmosphere this season so the lanes should be good for the compet;tion. At this stage of the tournament Yahweh and Jesus are neck and neck but they've left a lot of open frames this season. In the last frame Jesus bowled Hurricane Rafael. After a nice delivery it formed as a category 1 hurricane but dissipated in the Atlantic. What happened there Bob?

Bob (Color announcer): Thank you Dick. Rafael looked good down the alley, and might have threatened Puerto Rico, but started moving north-westward followed by a slight left turn caused by a rebuilding mid–level ridge ...

Dick: Hold on Bob, Yahweh is at the line. He's about to bowl Tropical Storm Sandy.

October 30, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Prove that a god has a thing to do with storms of any shape, kind, or size.

October 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • gorman howell

Katrina hit in late August. You mean same day of the week? Like Monday? Katrina hit Broward county on Thursday.

October 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • fintastic

@tonywest " they forget the first cause of all things is God"

Like children with cancer?............. how nice.

October 31, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
  18. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I'm with this post:

"No, #Sandy is not evidence of God's wrath. It's evidence of our refusal to even discuss climate change & global warning."

Not God, but warm water is the cause of this storm.

October 30, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • What?

Yes, every Spring God warms the globe.

Thanks for playing GOP.

October 30, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • What?

Besides GOP, we are tired of retired politicians making up stuff to continue to make a buck off of us. Al Gore comes to mind. Notice how Tipper threw him out.

October 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • Huebert

What?

Yes, every spring the sun warms the globe.

There, I fixed it for you.

October 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • A Frayed Knot

What?
      "Yes, every Spring God warms the globe."

Only the top half. Anyway, it's just because Apollo takes a slightly different and longer path with his sun-carrying chariot.

October 30, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@What?

so you're of the school that since 3% of climatologists are skeptical that human created CO2 can impact climate that this must be accurate, because the Koch Brothers also think so and you happen like their politics?

Warmer water leads to more hurricanes. It is as predictable and as likely as tomorrow's sunrise.

October 30, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • A Frayed Knot

p.s. Spring in the top half = fall in the lower half.

October 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Just so @What? is not too confused.

Every spring, the sun warms a hemisphere. With more CO2 in the atmosphere, it warms more.

They have tropical cyclones in the southern hemisphere too, though of course they spin the other way.

October 30, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • chris

Warm water does not lead to more hurricanes, it leads to more intense hurricanes. A number of factors need to happen in order for a hurricane to developing, including converging moist air above the surface with cold air aloft. While climate science generally agrees that humans are warming the planet, there is also agreement that it has no affect on hurricane development. Just thought I would set the record straight.

October 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
  19. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

In case anyone was wondering I'm the guy with the train set. Anybody want to hang out?

October 30, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • Gary

lol

October 30, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • Michael Andrews

...I just threw-up a little in my mouth...๏_๏

October 31, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  20. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

October 30, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but your assertions regarding atheism and prayer are unfounded. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module, the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "TOTAL FAIL".

I see that you repeat these unfounded statements with high frequency. Perhaps the following book can help you:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

October 30, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • HeavenSense

Hi Prayerbot.

October 30, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • Imagine No Religion

So, have you ever threatened YOUR children with eternal dam nation? I haven't, but I'll bet you have!

Prayer changes nothing.

I challenge you to take the George Carlin Prayer Test. Pray to your imaginary god friend for a month, then pray to Joe Pesci for a month. You'll find the percentage of prayers answered by god, and those by Mr Pesci, will be about the same (50/50).

"There ain't no jesus gonna come from the sky.
      Now that I found out, I know I can cry." – John Lennon

October 30, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • TrollAlert

"Ronald Regonzo" who degenerates to:
      "Salvatore" degenerates to:
      "Douglas" degenerates to:
      "truth be told" degenerates to:
      "Thinker23" degenerates to:
      "Atheism is not healthy ..." degenerates to:
      "another repentant sinner" degenerates to:
      "Dodney Rangerfield" degenerates to:
      "tina" degenerates to:
      "captain america" degenerates to:
      "Atheist Hunter" degenerates to:
      "Anybody know how to read? " degenerates to:
      "just sayin" degenerates to:
      "ImLook'nUp" degenerates to:
      "Kindness" degenerates to:
      "Chad" degenerates to
      "Bob" degenerates to
      "nope" degenerates to:
      "2357" degenerates to:
      "WOW" degenerates to:
      "fred" degenerates to:
      "!" degenerates to:
      "pervert alert"

This troll is not a christian. ..

October 31, 2012 at 8:07 am |
    • Jesus

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs.

October 31, 2012 at 8:11 am |