home
RSS
Online conversations around Sandy feature God, prayer and atheism
A church sign from Sunday in a town on Long Island, New York.
October 30th, 2012

Online conversations around Sandy feature God, prayer and atheism

By Conor Finnegan, CNN

(CNN) - As millions of Americans begin to clean up from Superstorm Sandy, many will  turn to insurance companies to cover damages caused by an “act of God.” It’s legalese for natural disasters.

Some of the online conversation around Sandy have treated it as such an act, with the term “prayer” trending on Facebook on Monday, as the nation awaited the storm’s landfall.

We noticed four themes emerging that touch on God and religion on Facebook, Twitter and in CNN.com’s comments sections:

1. God bless: It was a message expressed by well-wishers around the world. Those spared by Sandy took to social media to show their support and sympathy as the images proliferated of New York’s flooded streets and New Jersey’s eroded beaches. Despite different faiths and nationalities, the upshot was the same: Our prayers are with you.

From Facebook:

Waleed Obaid My Prayers to all family and friends in NY and the rest of East cost OH Allah please help People to stay safe and no harm...

Darlene Guillen Bohorquez if this storm knocks you to your knees, you're in the perfect position to pray, and I will be praying with you. Keep safe and remember to help those in need in the aftermath.

Andrea Holmes My prayers go out to all the people who are affected by this storm. And praying does help. God is in control of everything whether you like it or not.

From Twitter:

Bishop Hanson ‏@bishophanson
Merciful God, for the millions who this night are experiencing the fury of Hurricane Sandy we pray for safety and comfort. Amen.

2. Thank God: For those caught in Sandy’s path, the conversation was different. More than 7.5 million in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast were without power on Tuesday. Those who could post online expressed gratitude, with “thankful” the 8th most shared term on Facebook by Tuesday morning. And from Twitter:

Demetrius Minor ‏@dminor85
Thanks to everyone who prayed for us during Hurricane Sandy. We were not affected. I thank God for that. Please pray for those who were.

Sam Gentile ‏@SamGentile
Thank God we escaped unscathed from Sandy except for power last night. This is unlike a lot of South Jersey that had lot of damage

3. God’s wrath: A small minority saw Sandy as God’s judgment.

This Tweet is from a leader of Westboro Baptist Church, the Kansas congregation known for its anti-gay pickets at military funerals:

Shirley Phelps-Roper ‏@DearShirley
We bow in humble thanks 2 God 4 Sandy! Thank God for a plain message delivered to a puddle of states that proudly flip Him off! #FagMarriage

We found these on Facebook:

Nikola Ilievski 24.03.1999. – 10.06.1999. God remembers everything, your NATO bombed us, now enjoy. Greetings from SERBIA!

Hassan Chandio -Disrespecting others religion. and destroying others country killing thousand and millions of people in afghanistan, libya and syria . this is what you get

4. God does not exist: Some used Sandy to question religion or at least the idea of blaming the storm on God, employing science, humor and venom. A back and forth between believers and nonbelievers sparked a tense conversation in the comments section on CNN.com.

From Facebook:

Johnny Trujillo Praying won't do any good. Send some aid or go volunteer if you really want to help. Talking to your imaginary friend won't do anything.

From Twitter:

Anonymous ‏@YourAnonNews
No, #Sandy is not evidence of God's wrath. It's evidence of our refusal to even discuss climate change & global warning.

What do you think? What role should faith or God play in the conversation about Sandy? Post your thoughts in the comments section.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Comments • God

soundoff (2,260 Responses)
  1. Phazon

Rest assured God knows full well of the lies and hypocrisy the churches are doing and his time to destroy them is fast approaching. Thats pertty much all thats left all of the other prophecies have come true keep an open eye. Pray to god for truth and remember that God hides his his truth from the greedy and wise in the world.

October 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • manbearpig

Phazon –
      God hides his "truth" from the wise?

October 30, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • Susie

A Campbell worshipper?

October 30, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

God only reveals his secrets to those who fear him, 25th Psalm, or perhaps you would perfer Proverbs 1:7 fear God for there is the beginning of knowledge ...

October 30, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@manbearpig,

ignorance is bliss

@Susie,

October 30, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • Susie

I m wondering Phazon have you given away all your possessions?

October 30, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • sqeptiq

If man did this it would be called terrorism; if god does it, it's his loving hand at work. Sheer imbecility!

October 30, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
    • Susie

I follow Jesus. Thank you.

October 30, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

and jesus was just a very early hippy. . .

October 30, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
  2. Midnight Man

Horrible happenings such as the Northeastern storm will continue to happen in the future. I believe in God, and I'm a Christian. I honestly believe the suffering would have been much worse had there been no prayers. I respect those who don't share my belief.

October 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

Only 30 dead among millions says to me that God is not in wrath against NJ and NY. More lives were saved canceling the commute for 2 days than were lost in the hurricane. God bless America.

October 30, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

I don't really mean to be rude, but your comment is full of condescending, self-serving ridiculousness.

October 30, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • Stutz

Sorry, why did God allow a massive hurricane and then limit its death toll when people prayed? Such behavior might make sense for capricious, human-like deities such as the ancient Greek gods, but not for an omnipotent and omniscient God.

Maybe you think God takes a hands-off approach to the world while occasionally stepping in to answer prayers, but I don't think that view is consistent with any mainstream Christian theology I am aware of. If he is the source and the foundation of the universe, hurricanes are in some sense his responsibility. In that case, you have to ask what message the event conveyed, or what purpose it served. There are no good or logical answers to that...unless you believe, as I do, that the world operates just as it appears - according to natural laws and bereft of any supernatural forces.

October 30, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • sqeptiq

The very concept of prayer is an insult to whatever you call god...it presumes that your god is not competent to run the universe on his own and needs your guidance to do what is best.

October 30, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
  3. J R Brown

As an atheist, I am somewhat of an irregularity in that I don't begrudge those who believe in God for their faith so long as it helps them be better people than they would otherwise be. If your faith in God inspires you to be honest, self-less and kind...well, then I'd rather people like you exist than a bunch of atheist criminals who don't believe in morals or morality simply "because what we do doesn't matter." I don't think people who believe in God are necessarily "stupid" or "ignorant"...and there are plenty of atheist who delude themselves about their own "value" to humanity despite their reputed intelligence.

An extremely rude atheist is not much different than an extremely rude person of faith, IMHO.

October 30, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • manbearpig

Ah, J R Brown, but you ignore an extremely important part of the problem with religion: believers' insistence on forcing their religious "values" on the general population. Therein the problem lies. If all religious people would just be happy believing as they wish without trying to force others to adhere to their arbitrary rules there would be no issue.

October 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • Susie

What a nice statement. As a Christian I agree. I don't require that everyone believe exactly what I do or do I know what they have experienced.

October 30, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

Likely, most atheists would concur. Resistance from atheists is usually directed toward those trying to impose their belief on others by enacting laws that would impinge on the civil liberties of others, but your point is well taken.

October 30, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

I don't begrudge anyone their philosophies, but I don't think a person should insist that their philosophy is "true" as most religious people do. Instead, they should insist on (and demonstrate) the usefulness of their philosophies.

October 30, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
    • Susie

All societies have "arbitrary" rules whether atheistic or religious. Christian cultures are pretty much the least intrusive these days. Check out China sometime.

October 30, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • Johnny Blammo

I severely doubt you are an atheist. No atheist I have ever met would ever say "a bunch of atheist criminals who don't believe in morals or morality simply "because what we do doesn't matter."

I have never ever heard an atheists say they don't have a system of morality, nor that they believe what they do doesn't matter, nor that they choose lives of crime because of that.

Indeed, athiests do create systems of morality for themselves based on quite a few pragmatic things. And studies show very clearly that atheists are far less likely that religious people to commit crime, go to prison, or support war and torture.

I am sorry, but what you said was such a stereotypical misrepresentation of what atheists believe and how they act that I just have to believe you are a Christian in disguise. Seriously, has your atheism ever led you to a life of crime? Are you immoral? Nonsense.

October 30, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@J R Brown,

I don' t know *any* atheists who believe this: "a bunch of atheist criminals who don't believe in morals or morality simply "because what we do doesn't matter."

This is pure propaganda by the fundies regarding 'how atheists think'.

October 30, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • manbearpig

Susie –
      I think you might view that a little differently if, for instance, you were ho.mose.xual.

October 30, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • manbearpig

Susie –
      To paraphrase:
      "All societies have rules, thus America's rules might as well be based on my religious beliefs – but not anyone else's, cause that would not be cool. China!"
      Marvelous cop-out.

October 30, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • Susie

Go check out how Ho mo se xu.als are treated in non Christian cultures. In our culture the only thing you cant do is call yourself married.

October 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
    • manbearpig

Susie –
      Grow up. Saying "Well, (insert theocracy or dictatorship) is even worse than we are doesn't get you off the hook. This is America. Stop trying to give yourself a pass for bigotry – it isn't very "Christ-like".

October 30, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Johnny Blammo and GOPer, I don't want to speak for JRBrown, but I don't he was suggesting that atheists = criminals. I read what he wrote as saying, it doesn't matter if you're religious or atheist.... just be a good person, or something to that effect and that a world full of criminal atheists is no different than a world full of criminal christians... I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

October 30, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
  4. Phazon

Rest assured Atheists God does not cause these storms in the bible it says time of unseen occurrences beholds us all. Obviously the bible teaches a different God then the false teachers of the world.

October 30, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

The bible also states that god creates all catastrophes/disasters/evil/bad things (depending on the translation). The bible is chock full of contradictions, and is only viable as an authority on anything if all people accept it as such. It is unreliable, divisive, and just plain immoral in many places.

October 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • Austin

Of course atheists don't think god created this storm, seeing as how they don't believe in god. Do you not understand what "atheist" means?

October 30, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
  5. Robert Martin

Damn! I forgot to say a prayer for these unfortunate people. If i'd had remembered, maybe god would have spared us this destruction and these people would have an intact, warm house to sleep in tonight! Sorry, I forgot, God! Can you at least put it all together and I'll remember to pray to you from now on?

October 30, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  6. Journey

Evangelicals have little role left in our society but making Chik-Fil-A sandwiches (which are quite tasty)...making commentary on natural disasters and other things is just a bad fit for them in 2012. Things change.

October 30, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
  7. Why Christians believe the crazy things they do

When you are stupid, there is nothing that can be done.

October 30, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Susie

I don't know, I think you should keep trying. You might just find a cure for your problem.

October 30, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • roy

What you don't understand about Christianity is that the rules are there for your sake, not God's. He doesn't care what you do. It all comes down to the Golden rule – treat others as you expect them to treat you and you will have a happier life. If you think that isn't true, then try breaking all the 10 commandments and see how many friends you are left with.

October 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • laodegan

I would recommend you try being less of a d*ck. But if you are an atheist, I understand. It's impossible for you to be nice.

October 30, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
    • fintastic

@laodegan There you go using that word again, are you obsessed with d*cks?

What a maroon!

October 31, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
  8. Consequence

:Prayer is key to the faithful who have an understanding of our relationship to God and of our utter frailty...to the faithless, prayer has no meaning, no connection and offers no hope. For them, nothing does.

October 30, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Jesus Christ

I dont get your point.

October 30, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • Austin

Plenty of things offer me hope, particularly reason and science. And in a disaster situation? FEMA, the National Guard, cops, firefighters, and other first responders. You know, the heroes actually accomplishing something while you talk to something that probably doesn't exist–and if he/she/it does exist, decided to let dozens of people die anyway.

This "atheism is bleak" myth is ridiculous. We're not the ones crossing our fingers and waiting for the apocalypse. We're not the ones who look forward to dying. We're not the ones who think a "loving" creator is going to send the majority of the population to hell to suffer for eternity. We're the ones trying to make this a better world because we have no delusions of another one after.

October 30, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Stutz

Rock on, Austin.

Don't forget friends, family, community, love, art, and so on. It's not just reason and science that inspire atheists, but the same human emotions and connections that inspire everyone else. We just don't think God has anything to do with it.

October 30, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
  9. Russ

Praying is somewhat like riding a rocking chair...it will give you something to do but won't get you anywhere.

October 30, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • Jesus Christ

Pretty accurate analogy.

October 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • Phazon

Says you what did you pray for riches and Gold someone to live or die it doesn't work that way now if you asked God help doing what he requires you would see results try praying for God to unblind you and see where you go from there.

October 30, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • Susie

Speak for yourself. It got me all the way through my doctoral program.

October 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • melena

not so, so why are you so special that you should not be dealing with a crisis, when you are in the valley, then you look up because you need help from God, but when you are happy in the mountains, you don't bother with Him, why so? So crisis brings you closer to Him, let Him do what He needs to do, he is the Maker of Heaven and earth

October 30, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Austin

God apparently lets millions starve, but steps in when Tebow needs a touchdown.

October 30, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • Susie

I am curious as to what Christian country exists where millions are starving?

October 30, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • Stutz

Suzie,

Uganda.

October 30, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • Austin

Susie: So non-Christian children deserve to starve?

And yes, there are plenty of Christians starving in many African nations and across Latin America and the Caribbean.

October 30, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
  10. vespeney

By this logic, must be really mad at Puerto Rico, because a hurricane like Sandy blasts the island every 3 years. Figures... one man's rainy day is another's end of the world.

October 30, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Robert Martin

Poor Porto Rico. Maybe it's because there are so many gays living there.

October 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
  11. Dan

Storms happen. It is unfortunate. The best thing we can do from this point on is to help in any way we can. I donated to the Red Cross. I'm an atheist. Not trying to tell you not to pray, but if you insist, my advice is to pray as a last resort. You have control over what happens from this point forward. Leaving it in the hands of a god will not yield any better results than taking matters into your own hands.

October 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
  12. GodFreeNow

I think it is sad that people's lives are so empty and full of fear that they have to rely on things like a belief in god to bring meaning to their existence. It's likely a natural step in the evolution of man's consciousness that he must finally accept the things we don't know, like what happens when we die, and embrace the true meaning of life—to live.

Socially, until people begin to take responsibility for themselves and end the cycle of creating self-aggrandizing, ego-driven identi.ties (i.e., an all-powerful ruler of the universe cares about me and made a special club for me to join), theirs lives will be in constant need of more external excuses and explanations for their existence of suffering.

For those who have found their way free from this cycle of suffering, I encourage you to use compassion and sympathy when speaking to those still enslaved by religion and its memes.

October 30, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
  13. The Master

I have a saying that sums up all religion and theists. In their never ending quest to convert anyone who believeS differently than they do,

THERE IS NO REST FOR THE STUPID!

October 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • pugh7755

Then you must be extremely tired.

October 30, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  14. StuporDave

Benefits of prayer alone are dubious, at best (beyond the inner peace it can bring), but, accompanied by action, the sky's the limit. Donate time, money, check on neighbors' welfare, host a meal for your block, saw fallen trees for firewood, etc. Whatever larger forces are thought to be at work, gestures like these are much more than just tokens. If God is sending a message, it's likely to just be a test of our tolerance and compassion. Please don't fail.

October 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
  15. dylan1086

Welcome to the future, the year 2012... we know what causes thunder, lightning, storms... and no, it's not Zeus.

October 30, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

The largest electric field ever observed prior to a lightning strike is 49 volts per meter (Clemson) and in fact we do not undrstand lightning.

October 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • The Master

@John P. Tarver Speak for yourself. there's very little too lightning and how it acts.

October 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • Jesus Christ

Be clear... we do understand lightning.... YOU dont understand lightning.

October 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

I am very interested professionally in how lightning works, as an application to RTCA DO-160 and I would be pleased for you to explain lightning to the engineering world. I know you can't and I am just joking.

October 30, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • What a whack job John is!

John, here is a clue:

October 30, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

I already corrected wiki on Relativity, should I do the same for lightning? Hint: lightning is not electrostatic discharge in a normal sense and we Electrical Engineers do no understnd the phenomena. Some day we may and then we will have captured lightning in a bottle.

October 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • Jethro

Mah cuzin Larry Bob korrekted wiki on relativiteee too.

October 30, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • fintastic

@johntard "we Electrical Engineers" haaaaaaaaaa!!!! yea right!!

Another lying troll.....

October 31, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  16. Jesus Christ

Look. If your god gives you comfort, then good for you. But neither your god, nor my god will magically send down solutions to overcome storms. We are stewards of this planet, destroy it and we all perish god or no god. Its like turning a car on in your house while watching tv you are killing yourself. What we would need to do is assess the reasons why there is an upsurge of storms. If it is something we, as an international unified people, can solve them we solve it – minus our individual gods.

October 30, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • J R Brown

You've been watching Star Trek entirely too much.

October 30, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
    • Susie

Here is why, we live on a planet with continually changing weather patterns. We have proof that the climate has changed drastically from very cold to very hot. We should adapt to the weather, not adapt the weather to us.

October 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
  17. oompa

yes ..i'm sure God sent the storm to NY to cleanout the heathens

October 30, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
  18. Needreasoning

There must be some logic from the athiest community and believers in God, right? Athiests would believe this is mother nature and all the damage and harm done is just because and no reason. So mother nature isn't very nice to all those people affected. Christians would say God just showed a fraction of his power to let the human race know that he is still in control. Couple questions. Athiests would believe the human race evolved from matter, which would beg the question if we've evolved so much how come a storm predicted days in advanced did so much harm to humans? Wouldn't an evolved society know to get out of the path of the storm? Christians would say this is an act of God showing his power. God should not have to explain himself to his creation. We are the clay and he is the potter. I've always been amused by this discussion. Nobody ever "wins" the discussion. Athiests don't believe in anything other than themselves and Christians believe in a creator that rules and governs the earth. Lets say there is only 10% chance that God exists. Would not that 10% chance make one wonder and be in awe of his power? Lets say there is 10% chance God does not exist. If God doesn't exist than why do people have to suffer? Are we all evolved to be superior. Just questions to ponder.

October 30, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
    • pacoder

"Athiests don't believe in anything other than themselves" Um. No. Clearly you don't understand Atheism. I believe in all sorts of thing. Quantum physics, gravity, nuclear power, that people are basically good, that I shouldn't steal or hurt others, that I should help others in times of need, that I should be selfless and honest and hard working and not lie. What I don't believe in are fairy tales made up by men to control other men. You've to it all wrong....

October 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • You do need reasoning

"So mother nature isn't very nice" – What? Nature is not a sentient being. That was a weird and stupid thing to say. The correct thing to say is that nature is indifferent, and every bit of evidence supports that.

Begging the question is a fallacy. Evolution has nothing to do with the inability or unwillingness of people to evacuate, nor the damage done to immovable objects.

"Christians would say this is an act of God showing his power," but of course they are just using their imaginations, for there is no evidence whatsoever that this is true.

"Athiests don't believe in anything other than themselves" – that is a violation of the Ninth Commandment, a slander and a lie. But we are long used to the wild slanders of God's people.

"If God doesn't exist than why do people have to suffer?" Seriously? Are you that stupid? Do you need me to explain about disease and all that other stuff?

Basically, you are putting up a lame straw man atheism, then making a total fool of yourself with your nutty questions and perspectives.

It's just weather, you nincompoop!

October 30, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Needreasoning

Thank you for your replies. I'm just learning like everyone else. I was raised in the faith but open to logic and reasoning. A question that has stumped me is where did the human race come from? I was always told God created us, and there there is no scientific evidience proving otherwise. The carbon dating and evolution have been shown incorrect over and over, even by athiests. That is my first and biggest questions. If we don't know where we come from then how will we know where we are as a human race and where are we going. My comments about athiests not believing in anything was meant to say believe in higher power governing the earth. If we don't have an higher power (God) to respect and try to please than how do we mostly all have the ability to know right and wrong and have a sense of passion for other humans. Did we evolve to that state over the billions of years? If we did evolve that much as a race then why do we still need to pass on from this earth. If evolution got us from slime to humans why did we stop there? Just questions I'm trying figure out. I don't hate or dislike anyone, just trying to put reason to all this and the poor people suffering.

October 30, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Needreasoning

You're thinking backwards. If you treated everything as "no evidence against, therefore ok to believe", then you should be believing all kinds of things. That is an illogical way of coming to any kind of understanding.
      Could you cite specifics on the supposed proofs against carbon dating and evolution?
      In terms of feeling passion, we are social creatures, and we can observe highly similar, if not as complex, actions within other social creatures, like apes.
      Also, you need to think about the time periods involved in speciation and mutation. We have a detailed timeline from the fossil records, and homo-sapiens have been around for a relatively short amount of time. To demonstrate the continuing evolution of humanity though, take wisdom teeth for instance. Within the last 100 years, the rate of children being born without them has gone up significantly, because they aren't needed. And from archaeological records, we know that the average size of the human brain over the last 30,000 years has gone down, though we aren't entirely sure why.

You're asking questions, which is good, but you need to realize that thinking of things in terms of "if not god, then how", is backwards, and lends no credence to the unsupported claim that god even exists.

October 30, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • It's like this

"I was always told God created us, and there there is no scientific evidience proving otherwise." You were told wrong. There is an enormous mountain of evidence that supports evolution. The thing with no scientific evidence is God.

Evolution is not correct; it is being adjusted as the evidence comes in. That is how science works. There is not a fatal flaw in it, as you are trying to imply.

You have a sense of passion because that is how the species reproduces. Right and wrong are actually products of pragmatism – killing creates a world of revenge and violence in which people are killed. Humans do not thrive under that kind of stress. You don't need a god to tell you that. Same with stealing.

Why do you need to die? Because your body wears out. Why would you ever think that humans could become immortal? That's totally absurd.

We haven't stopped evolving. Why do you think we have?

In a natural system, beings get hurt and killed. They suffer. Perfectly natural. But if there is a God, then suffering makes no sense, and your god must necessarily be cruel and evil to allow it.

And God's right and wrong really sucked in the Old Testament. "Right" then is insanely wrong now. Why did your god give out such a cruel and hateful system of morality? Because he didn't. It was created by ignorant ancient peasants. And even Christians would throw the book at anyone who had his son stoned to death because he misbehaved.

October 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
  19. Freethinker Seeking Reason

Nothing FAILS like prayer because NOBODY is listening. Society's god delusion is a virus of the mind. Get educated and get a CLUE!!

... and learn more about climate change while you're at it!!

October 30, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
  20. Lamb of dog

Read Sagans "The demon haunted world. Science as a candle in the dark". It describes all the nuts on here who think stuff like this is a message from the sky fairy.

October 30, 2012 at 8:32 pm |