home
RSS
Online conversations around Sandy feature God, prayer and atheism
A church sign from Sunday in a town on Long Island, New York.
October 30th, 2012

Online conversations around Sandy feature God, prayer and atheism

By Conor Finnegan, CNN

(CNN) - As millions of Americans begin to clean up from Superstorm Sandy, many will  turn to insurance companies to cover damages caused by an “act of God.” It’s legalese for natural disasters.

Some of the online conversation around Sandy have treated it as such an act, with the term “prayer” trending on Facebook on Monday, as the nation awaited the storm’s landfall.

We noticed four themes emerging that touch on God and religion on Facebook, Twitter and in CNN.com’s comments sections:

1. God bless: It was a message expressed by well-wishers around the world. Those spared by Sandy took to social media to show their support and sympathy as the images proliferated of New York’s flooded streets and New Jersey’s eroded beaches. Despite different faiths and nationalities, the upshot was the same: Our prayers are with you.

From Facebook:

Waleed Obaid My Prayers to all family and friends in NY and the rest of East cost OH Allah please help People to stay safe and no harm...

Darlene Guillen Bohorquez if this storm knocks you to your knees, you're in the perfect position to pray, and I will be praying with you. Keep safe and remember to help those in need in the aftermath.

Andrea Holmes My prayers go out to all the people who are affected by this storm. And praying does help. God is in control of everything whether you like it or not.

From Twitter:

Bishop Hanson ‏@bishophanson
Merciful God, for the millions who this night are experiencing the fury of Hurricane Sandy we pray for safety and comfort. Amen.

2. Thank God: For those caught in Sandy’s path, the conversation was different. More than 7.5 million in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast were without power on Tuesday. Those who could post online expressed gratitude, with “thankful” the 8th most shared term on Facebook by Tuesday morning. And from Twitter:

Demetrius Minor ‏@dminor85
Thanks to everyone who prayed for us during Hurricane Sandy. We were not affected. I thank God for that. Please pray for those who were.

Sam Gentile ‏@SamGentile
Thank God we escaped unscathed from Sandy except for power last night. This is unlike a lot of South Jersey that had lot of damage

3. God’s wrath: A small minority saw Sandy as God’s judgment.

This Tweet is from a leader of Westboro Baptist Church, the Kansas congregation known for its anti-gay pickets at military funerals:

Shirley Phelps-Roper ‏@DearShirley
We bow in humble thanks 2 God 4 Sandy! Thank God for a plain message delivered to a puddle of states that proudly flip Him off! #FagMarriage

We found these on Facebook:

Nikola Ilievski 24.03.1999. – 10.06.1999. God remembers everything, your NATO bombed us, now enjoy. Greetings from SERBIA!

Hassan Chandio -Disrespecting others religion. and destroying others country killing thousand and millions of people in afghanistan, libya and syria . this is what you get

4. God does not exist: Some used Sandy to question religion or at least the idea of blaming the storm on God, employing science, humor and venom. A back and forth between believers and nonbelievers sparked a tense conversation in the comments section on CNN.com.

From Facebook:

Johnny Trujillo Praying won't do any good. Send some aid or go volunteer if you really want to help. Talking to your imaginary friend won't do anything.

From Twitter:

Anonymous ‏@YourAnonNews
No, #Sandy is not evidence of God's wrath. It's evidence of our refusal to even discuss climate change & global warning.

What do you think? What role should faith or God play in the conversation about Sandy? Post your thoughts in the comments section.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Comments • God

soundoff (2,260 Responses)
  1. No Romney

Dont you even think it's a bit self indulgent to say 'what is the purpose of life'??? Who says there has to BE a purpose? Just live! you dont need a book to tell you what being a good person is. You dont need someone to tell you when you're being generous, or that doing the right thing makes you feel good, it's in our DNA. WHen you do something for some reward afre this life, you're not doing good! You're being selfish – it's an act. And God knows people USE God to be ignorant, lazy, do nothings. "Oh...it's God's will" "oh, let Jesus take the wheel" How about you get off your lazy duffs and be an active participant in your life! How about you TRY! DO SOMETHING to take care of your problems, have a plan, read the data, make a decision on whether need something to be done about it or not, dont just "oh Jesus take the wheel, I'm too lazy to look into it..." I think the whole religion thing is just a cop out to not growing up. It's just the adult extension of believing in Santa Claus. Grow up, folks. There is no man in the sky who takes care of everything, ok? Nor causes things nor fixes them. be a grown up. Work your own problems or they'll just keep getting worse. and then you'll die and it will all go black . This is it. So live your life. THIS IS it.

October 30, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • mlblogsyankeeblogspot

There doesnt have to be a purpose if you dont want one. I am not saying you have to have one. It is however true that men/women that are most successfull in life have a purpose to their daily lives. They do live by principles that define them. No one has to be religious to do this. I do think that the sermon on the mount applied in this world makes it a better place. If a religion teaches love one another, patience, meekness and understanding then it is better for the world. A lot of talk about radical religion and lumping it together. If a religion teaches death or subservience it doesnt match the teachings of Jesus, and Jesus teaches us love and understanding even to those who are Athiests.

October 30, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • tony

Someone got it.

October 30, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • mlblogsyankeeblogspot

Besides I dont blaime you for how you feel. I only say that I am greatfull I know God, and that I have felt and seen his workings in my life. If I lived in your shoes perhaps I might not know him, I am just so greatfull that I do. I would rather have an athiest doctor that loves and cares about good medical care then a Christian that doesnt. I just know I am voting for Romney and I am hopeing that people will not judge, but see him for the man that I have seen, and that is a man that has been charitable and done good service for others all his life. He has a good work ethic and has worked hard. I value hard work, service, as well as experience. This tells me that he will have my best interest at heart.

October 30, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • No Romney

If a religion teaches love one another, patience, meekness and understanding then it is better for the world----–First – why do you need religion to teach the golden rule. It's pretty instinctive. I have no religion,none, and my kids are kind, thoughtful, very moral and it's just easy as pie to say "be the good guy. The good guy is the hardest guy to be, it's the one who is respected in the end, the truth, like the prize in the box, always rises to the top eventually, and the good guy is the guy who dies later in life feeling great about himself in his old age. It's just right. period. " Who needs religion for that? and what religion teaches "be kind, be thoughtful, ??????? not seeing it. I know many religious people, many, and i have to say, honestly, two, one – two, can be catagorized as 'kind'. It's more common they are judgemental, rude, superior, angry, nasty, hateful, prejudice.... Some of the very biggest jerks i've met in my lifetime, who treat people, mostly their own family, just awful have been the most religious people I've ever met. I've seen far more negative happen in this world in the name of religion than ever was good.

October 30, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
    • No Romney

He has a good work ethic-– you dont look into things much, do you? Romney was my governor. I actually voted for him. 1 – Romney never helped anyone. He is not a charitable man. He is the most selfish greedy Mr. Potter from It's A Wonderful LIfe rich man I've ever met in my life. He was absent from work, not at his job, over 400 days of his four year term. Is missing work one of out every four days a 'good work ethic'? Ever heard of the Big Dig? When Romney came to Mass as ran as governor he said he was 1) not raise our taxes 2) PERSONALLY take over the Big Dig and 3) bring jobs. He failed failed and failed. The Big Dig was a disaster it was run so poorly with more cost overruns of ANY constructions project in the country! To this day it is still the most expensive most badly handled construction project for... a bridge. Just a bridge, and tunnel. The CHunnel from France to England, was done with less problems than one tiny tunnel in Boston. That was all Romney's mishandling, his INability to do anything well. He raised over 1000 fees. EVERYTHING got more expensive, while he gutted the schools – which led us to have to have town meetings, to raise our own property taxes.. this is actaully exactly what he will do to medicare when he 'gives it back to the states' as he says he will do to FEMA. he cuts it. Stops funding it. Here you go, either YOU raise taxes to fund it, or it goes bye bye. And....no jobs. In fact, we were 47th in job growth. I dont have ot 'judge' him, he was my governor and we honestly, in lifetime, have NEVER had a worse governor that wreaked more havoc, screwed things up SO badly, why do you think Mass is OVERWHELMINGLY rejecting him as president??? we are the ONE state who knows him, who has been governored by him and he losing here more than any other state in the nation!! The ONE STATE that HAS been governed by him, the same state who voted a republican in congress last term ,is nearly united in saying NO to Romney as president. There are many many good reason for that. You should not be voting for him! no one should! he wasn't just bad, he was HORRENDOUS!

October 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • mlblogsyankeeblogspot

You act as if the goodness you have been afforded is not a result of these teachings. Think about this, your daughter lives in afghanistan and her husband throws acid in her face or cuts off her nose. You honestly think your life would be the same here.

October 30, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
    • No Romney

You act as if the goodness you have been afforded is not a result of these teachings. ---– I had two parents. one was nasty abusvie, judgemental and constantly angry..and very strictly Catholic. The other was agnostic at best as well as kind, generous, patient, and simply showed love and went out of their way for me and all of us. That parent taught us by example. Period. No book, No preaching, no religion. Simple humanity. Religion was a pox. An excuse. for judgement, for laziness, for prejudices. I have seen and continue to see, far more poxes on society from religion, than positives.

October 30, 2012 at 11:18 pm |
  2. sps

I say: "I'm thinking of you" or "You will be in my thoughts" instead of the praying options. That goes for if I'm attending a funeral or if there is a natural disaster. I do consider the feelings of others by not making a big deal of it where warranted.

October 30, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • MalcomR

When I sneeze, I taught my kids to say to me "God Damn You".

October 30, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Melissa

F every religion. Religion is something for the most ignorant in society.Every religion should be required to pay a fee and rent for their location. The government should NOT give incentives to religious organization when it comes to rent, they should pay like the rest of us, if not even more. The government should not hand out money to certain religious organizations they should require every individual who attends that place of worship to pay a fee. it is not fair that people that don't practice a religion still give money to religious organization, whether it be for rent or taxes, that organization and its followers should pay.

October 30, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • LinCA

@Melissa

Without religion, how do we keep the sheeple in line? Quite a few indicate that they would be murderous maniacs if it weren't for their delusion. It may be safer for the sane part of society if we keep religion around.

October 30, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • mlblogsyankeeblogspot

Wait a minute you bring up a good point. This is that religion doesnt have a monopoly on good acts. It is however found a better way of living in correct principles. So if a religion teaches us to have benificial action by Gods spirit and the teachings it betters the world. If a person isnt particularily religious but loves children then he is going to get blessigns from God for loving children.

October 30, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
  4. mlblogsyankeeblogspot

You misunderstand the purpose of life. God says in the beginning of the bible that pain and afliction will be part of this life, and if he wants to take a child back he will take him back, but pain and afliction is not all bad for God said it would be good. Celebrate life, live life like its precious. Ask yourself can man control death? And ask yourself does man really know what Gods will is all the time? Trying to understand God in this way is like looking through a stained glass window at night and trying to read a book. Is it not more prudent to first seek out if there is a God in your life? When you have faith in his existance by his spirit and you see his workings in your life, and it will be unmistakable, then you realize that he is real, he does exist, and what matters isnt what happened by an event but how we choose to bring God into it. It isnt how we die, or what we say that matters but how we live. Every man and woman dies, but does every man and woman truly live? Becoming as a child is what the bible says all men must do. It would be better to return to God as an infant then a man that is pridefull and denies Gods existance and ways. Jesus said out of the mouth of babes came truth in the temple, and to the pharosis he said 'If you were blind, you would have no sin; but since you say, ... "We see," your sin remains. Want to summerize everything you read on CNN in this election and any other website with truth then ask yourself does this article stand the test of the Lords commandments to not judge, to not boast, to not twist his commandments, and genuinly try to learn what a man is offering. If anyone deviates from this he is not living in Gods spirit or truth.

October 30, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • MalcomR

The hubris and arrogance of the righteous. Yep, you got it all figured out dude.

October 30, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Tiresome beyond all belief, aren't they, Malcolm? Can't even be bothered to read the drivel.

October 30, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • MalcomR

I just skim this s**t anymore. god... pray... repent... sinner... OK. I got it.

October 30, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • ElmerGantry

@Malcom,

I just skim this s**t anymore. god... pray... repent... sinner... OK. I got it.

Exactly right. Clear, concise and nailed it!

October 30, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Eliminate hinduism, religions corruption of truth absolute by hindu's lairs, for peace, Islam among humanity.

BE A HUMAN NOT A hINDU ATHEIST, self centered, secular HANUMAN, MONKEY GOD OF hINDU'S, IGNORANT S.
    word hindu is based on Latin word hindered, negative, Hun, great, Han, to be in greatness, hin, to be negative to both of them, hindu, a noun in negativity, hinduism, way of negativity.
    Visit limitisthetruth.com to learn about hinduism, criminality of hindu's, criminals to impose hinduism, racism on humanity by hinduism, corruption of truth absolute by force.

October 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • GAW

Feet, socks, shoes, diapers, Gaga, Fungus toes, bingo gas station with a side of aircraft noise. There I can be just as incoherent as you.

October 30, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • Fabian

When you aren't a Hindu and can see that you are the dumbest person on the planet.

October 30, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • lbpaulina

Hum...hum....mmm...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

October 30, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • MalcomR

@GAW; LMFAO!

October 30, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • Eliminate hinduism, religions corruption of truth absolute by hindu's lairs, for peace, Islam among humanity.

No one is more hindu, stupid than a hindu ignorant, believing hindu stupid hanuman atheist , self centered monkey to be his daddy and the god.

October 30, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • Paul

@GAW-I am crying that was the post post I have read in days!

October 30, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • ElmerGantry

@GAW,

Calling a spade a spade. Well done.

October 30, 2012 at 10:54 pm |

Calling a hindu, ignorant, a hindu, ignorant, well done.

October 30, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
  6. Agha Ata (USA)

If cientists said Sandy was coming and it arrives at our shores and we start feeling its impact, and if the believers prayed, and to the astonishment of the scientists Sandy halted and died right at our shores, with no apparant reason that could cause it; then . . . I would start exprementing on prayers to see if they cause God to change His mind...

October 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • Susie

So you are dictating how God does miracles now? Okay.

October 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

Susie, if you can make up stories about gods existing why can't someone else refine your line of bullsh!t?

October 30, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Susie..you did not appear to understand the comment,.. this would have been a massive blow ( no pun intended) to those of us who use science to understand the world.

October 30, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • MalcomR

Oh come on Suzie. Use that PhD and exercise some reading comprehension.

October 30, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • Praveen

Good one! Seriously I am struggling to find my linkages with God, except for the stories that I heard from my parents.

October 30, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • MalcomR

@praveen: Read the bible. That should destroy any remaining doubt that at least THAT particular set of umm... "beliefs" can be safely dismissed.

October 30, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
  7. KAKA

Everyone needs to listen! The aliens are coming and they have permission from God to anally probe everyone! Religious or not.

October 30, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • Answer

You go first.

October 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • GAW

Harvesting farts gain?

October 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • Rick

It's a little known fact that methane is a key ingredient for warp engine fuel.

October 30, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Eliminate hinduism, religions corruption of truth absolute by hindu's lairs, for peace, Islam among humanity.

FROM ORIGINAL MOHAMMAD A DAR
    Expect nothing better but mayhem among humanity by following of hinduism, denial of truth absolute, Allah, and following of hindu pagan Mithra ism, savior ism, neither commanded, nor allowed in Islam as a religion, but Theen Allah, consti tution of truth absolute. Foundation of American consti tution.
    Shiaism
    hindu Mithra ism, savior ism invented little over 100 years after Sydana Mohammad pbh by tribes of Kujar of north Africa and imposition as Fatmid Khalaphit by force by denial of Hidth and Quran, justified by hindu Judaism, pagan secularism to impose hinduism, racism by hindu, fabricated relationship with Family of Syadana Mohammad pbh to justify existence of hindu criminal Kings, a violation of fundamental commandment, human equality under the LA. truth absolute Allah. Cause of conflict among Muslim's and cause of down fall of Muslim's and Islam in Spain.

Sunisim, invented by Turk's by corruption of Quran and hidth to justify existence of hindu King's as Khalipha, after death of Ruler Mohammad, but later renamed, Mehmmat, wisdom of spirit of truth by siblings from his Armenian wife, follower of hindu pagan Mithra ism, savior ism in 13th century.

Christianity, invented by hinduism,. corruption of truth absolute by hindu Pharisees, pagan self centered, follower of hindu filthy pig ism by corrupted Torah, known as Greek Torah, translated and commented by Ben Asheer in 250 AD in Yiddish, secularist, self centered language, also known as Old Testament, part of book of Mithra ism labeled as Bible. A way to justify hindu criminal Kings and self proclaimed Prophets, fortune tellers as god's to rule over humanity.

JUDAISM, Self center ism, pig ism, or Atheism, invented by hindu's pagan's of Egypt by corruption of truth absolute in Torah to Justify hindu pagan Pharaoh's and their hindu pagan Santans, goons as god's to rule over humanity with impunity.

HAVE hINDUISM, CORRUPTION OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE, RELIGIONS AND LIVE WITH MAYHEM, AS HAS BEEN THE CASE FROM hIND, DARK AGES TILL TODAY. FOLLOW THEEN ALLAH, CONSTI TUTION OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE, ALLAH , GOD AND THE LORD, FOUNDATION OF CONSTI TUTION OF AMERICA TO HAVE PEACE AMONG HUMANITY. To learn more please visit truthisthelimit.com

October 30, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • GAW

Oh you again. You're like the terminator you keep coming back.

October 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • lbpaulina

Oh this one! How in the world...? Is he for real or is he a smoker?

October 30, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • Paul

One things for sure, he sure does love Hindus

October 30, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Gadflie

It's amazing how we humans have never invented a god that's any better than we are. And, well, we have invented all of them.

October 30, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Reason

You didn't have to quote the Anonymous hacker group as a representative position of the atheists. There are plenty of intelligent, reasonable and sound-minded people who would like everyone to understand the effects of global warming, and to effectuate policies that mitigate further damage to our environment.

Or maybe I should have gone to the Science blog... this one for the other type of people to read.

October 30, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
  11. lbpaulina

to Needreasoning (Sorry, Firefox froze, and now i do not find you)
    I do not understand your question: "If God does not exist, then, why do people have to suffer?"
    The condition that there is no God does not warrant or the presence nor the absence of suffering: life is an alternation of joy and suffering.
    Since a kid, I have never accepted the faith raised as a standard of absolute truth and as a sign of divine justice, because it is not. First of all, entire populations believe in a different God, but I believe that the concept is the same, so people can fraternize in the moment of believing and loving. I accept the prayer of anyone as it is always an act of love. I do not accept people who tell me that a catastrophe can be sent by God to test our human faith or, even worse, as a vindictive act, because a God who creates an eternal harmony based on love can not commit such a mistake. I understand the horror for the bombing as I understand the horror for the terrorist attacks, because the hand which commits such acts is not guided by God.

October 30, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
  12. johnNC

It's interesting to read some of the comments on here from atheists / non-believers. They wouldn't say half the things they say on here to people's faces. They certainly wouldn't here in NC. And you know why? Because they know they wouldn't get away with it. They can spew their hateful, nasty venom on the internet and they can maim and attack believers on the internet, but not in a million years would they ever say any of this in public. Sickening.

October 30, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • GAW

As someone once said "Anonymity on the internet is one of the reasons some people still have teeth"

October 30, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • BWANA DIK

THE INSISTENCE ON RATIONALITY AND SCIENCE IS NOT HATE...LOOK IN THE MIRROR

October 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • Gadflie

John, I wouldn't hesitate to say anything in public anything that I have said here. Sorry to burst your ignorance bubble.

October 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • LinCA

@johnNC

You said, "It's interesting to read some of the comments on here from atheists / non-believers."
      It is high time believers hear it, too.

You said, "They wouldn't say half the things they say on here to people's faces. They certainly wouldn't here in NC. And you know why? Because they know they wouldn't get away with it."
      That says a lot more about intolerant believers than non-believers.

You said, "They can spew their hateful, nasty venom on the internet and they can maim and attack believers on the internet, but not in a million years would they ever say any of this in public."
      You don't stray far from the trailer park, do you? Suggesting to grow up and shed your infantile beliefs isn't hateful. It's a public service announcement. Do with it what you want. You are free to remain willfully ignorant. Stupidity wasn't illegal, last time I checked.

You said, "Sickening."
      Yup. Adults still believing in fairy tales sure is sickening. Morons like that running for elected office even more so. These deluded knuckle-draggers actually getting voted in, absolutely.

October 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • Rick

So, in other words, if they talked about how they don't believe in any gods, some Christians down in NC would give them the beat down? Precious.

October 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

It always comes down to threats in the end. Hell for the unbelievers. What a azzhole god. No wonder he attracts threatening believers.

October 30, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • JM

Why? What would you do to them in NC?

Turn the other cheek?
      Love them (your neighbor/enemy)?
      Forgive them?

Or something completely anti-Christ's teaching?

October 30, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Still popular today.

Number thirteen on my top thirteen most irritatingly stupid ‘arguments’ that religionists make here:

13. Atheists hate (and/or are mad at) God.
      eg: You atheists here are so full of hate. Right back atcha baby.
      eg: Atheists hate God. A ludicrous notion, how can you resent something you don’t believe exists.

October 30, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • tony

Post your address and wait.

October 30, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • larry

John, you are correct that I would not diss your imaginary friend in public in NC, because you crazy folks in NC would kill in the name of your imaginary friend.

October 30, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

John, my experience with confronting the religious folks with my position, and asking for any evidence of god, or other proof to be very upsetting to them. You need to understand that for centuries religion has had the upper hand in society and it is loath to be confronted with any demand for proof of its assertions. It has been the dictator of what it considers good and bad in order to feed its obsession with this power position. I think in fact that most atheists, despite your claim to the contrary are actually quite polite around the religious folks.

October 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
    • sps

As a non believer, I would say it to your face if needed. I don't have to hide, if I do it's because of ignorant people like you..

October 30, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • Jeff

To those of you who don't believe in God, prove He does not exist. You ask us to prove it all the time, prove He isn't there. And spewing on about science is really to us the same "babble" that you say religion is to us. No, I don't believe that science is nonsense, I'm not stupid, but it is a point.

I doubt any of you a) have this proof of non-existence and b) are scientists that you claim to constantly look up to for answers. The bottom line is, it is your opinion, your belief, just like believing in God is my opinion, and my belief.

I have personally experienced the power of prayer that has happened too many times to define as coincidence. I just don't believe in that much luck, because if I had that much luck, I'd also win the lottery once a year.

It is funny to me how atheists laugh at the thought of religion. Religion is defined as:

re·li·gion   [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
      noun
      1.a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
      2.a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects
      3.the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

Please note atheists on the forum, that the word especially is used in definition one. Definition 2 doesn't mention a creator, nor does 3. That is very different from absolute. Therefore, your organized set of beliefs of no God and certain belief in theories are indeed a (drumroll please) RELIGION! Hypocrites. I guess while you studied science you forgot to pick up your other books.

It amazes me how you can spend all of your time bashing believers on here. I can sit on here and say that "I don't believe that any of you really exist" and regardless of your posts, my theory could ring true, as in for the ones I pick in a random sample, which is scientific in nature, could all really be someone pretending to be someone else. A statistical anomaly yes, but prove me wrong again. It is, after all, scientifically possible. Just like God is also scientifically possible. I just prefer to call Him fact.

October 30, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Jeff

Try building an argument off of some kind of logic, instead of a fallacy.

October 30, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • Rick

The fact that I can't prove a negative is not a reason to arbitrarily pick some random made-up religion to model my entire life after. Besides, "that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" (CH).

October 30, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • Paul

For the sake of argument John. I live in a very conservative well off neighborhood with a large Catholic following. I have heard things in church that are far more anti christian, intolerant, and mean spirited than anything posted here by an agnostic or non believer.

October 30, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
    • Jeff

@Hawaii, funny how when a believer gives an actual rational thought, that challenges what you believe, you call me misleading and false. Same ole crap you do to us, constantly.

Exist, and let me exist. I'll hope and pray you see the light.

October 30, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
    • Paul

Jeff you have no proof either but your post is very dogmatic.

October 30, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Jeff

"To those of you who don't believe in God, prove He does not exist."

This is a fallacy called shifting the burden of proof. Building your argument off of this makes it, by definition, irrationa and illogical. Stating your argument is rational does not make it so, just like stating god exists does not make it so.

October 30, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
    • No Romney

Why do you consider it hateful to be an athetists or agnostic? I think it's just...logical. The bible was written by ancient ignorant people who had no reason for anything! Nothing! They didn't know a virus was. What an earthquake was, what thunder was, what a stroke was! Saul had an epiphany, he was blinded and fell to the road hearing voices.....he had stroke, ok? A stroke. A transient iscemic attack. We know what they are now. When the blood clears, and the vision returns, we know why. They didn't back then, so to make sense of what had no logical reason, he goes ape crap with made up crap all divinely inspired, err, not really, his idea, but he gives praise to alah, or Zeus or God, whomever, he has no science, he's just doing the best he can. At one time folks worshiped the rising sun. The sun God. Well....we know why the sun comes up everyday so we've sort of stopped worshiping a God who makes it happen. Well, yeah, alot of everything else in life, is the same thing, with chaos theory thrown in and who knows, maybe there is some bigger being, but ya know, that whole bible thing...yeah...not buying it. Not buying that book. Not in today's world. Why would I take the opinion over ancient ingorant people over people who are so much better educated and intune to things today??? maybe there still is some life force, but he's not in that book, not in those crazy ways. better you just consider yourself in charge of your life, steward of this earth, and just try to do a good job based on facts and science.

October 30, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
    • Jeff

It's really called flipping your argument back to you, because the basis of mine is the same as yours.

My point, and you arguing back really drives it home, is that your passion for disbelief makes my belief no more false than my passion for belief makes yours.

My other point is to show that you come on and attack Christians and our beliefs, and then basically state when we defend ourselves that we are being difficult.

You are being hypocritical, just as you claim we are. It's a pot calling the kettle black type of thing.

Please tell me again now why when I make a logical point I am so wrong because my belief contradicts yours. Then pat yourself on the back because you acted what you believe is "so much more logically" than we Christians.

October 30, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
    • Jeff

@Paul, once again, prove me wrong. The problem is you can't, no matter how hard you try. I can't make you see my way, no matter how hard I try.

My argument is of my opinion. What you "enlightened" ones have forgotten is that not everyone believes the way you do, and while you chastise Christians for "how we push our beliefs", you are doing THE EXACT SAME THING.

Beng right in your own mind doesn't make you better than me. I'm right in my own mind, but I don't really feel better than you. I pray for you. I really don't care if you want me to or not.

My close is this, while you all can come bash me and my fellow Christians constantly, as soon as we turn back and make an argument that is eerily similar to your base in nature, you can't logically respond back. Logic is free thinking and rational thinking. I have exhibited that, where you are now defensive about your stance.

My hypothesis was that if I argued in a reverse fashion from your foundational arguments, that you would go on defensive as you persecute Christians on here for doing all the time.

The posts are conclusive, and my experiment I feel was a success.

I fully believe that the episode of South Park, sadly, is true. If there was no religion, you'd be fighting over which version of science you believe. Never ends.

October 31, 2012 at 12:10 am |
    • hawaiiguest

Wow Jeff, you really have no idea what a logical argument is. Do you really think shifting the burden of proof=a logical argument? If that is really the case, do you believe in every unfalsified claim ever? How about if I told you I have an invisible dragon that flies over my house that keeps it from getting robbed? No break-ins for over 20 years, so it must be true. Prove me wrong Jeff.

October 31, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
  13. barbara philpot

well i for one believe in god and proud to be one of his children who depends on him to help me and my family and so many other people get thru the bad times and the good times of the blessing we recieve from god. i dont care what other people believe and i dont put them down for not believing and wish that they would give me the same respect for believing. every one is free to believe what they want and that is there right with out being put down for it, so please show some respect for the ones who do believe in our god

October 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
    • BWANA DIK

OUR GOD?...DO YOU ALSO BELIEVE IN THE EASTER BUNNY? REMEMBER ALL OF THE BLOODSHED IN THE NAME OF "OUR GOD". I GRIEVE FOR YOU IGNORANCE AND CUPIDITY. (YOU CAN LOOK THAT UP AFTER YOU GRADUATE FROM 1ST GRADE)

October 30, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • LinCA

@barbara philpot

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. Your beliefs, on the other hand, don't automatically deserve the same respect. Beliefs not based on, and even contrary to, evidence are not worthy of respect.

I don't respect a belief in the Tooth Fairy if held by anyone over the age of 7, or so. Would you? So why should I respect a belief in an equally unlikely creature?

October 30, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • Jeff

So what you two are saying is you are fine with what is believed as long as you agree with it? I am sure that you are right now posting this from your lab where you are performing experiments on the cutting edge of science.

And Bwana, I have read many of your posts. You talk about passing first grade? Your grammar is hideous at best. "HE MUST HAVE FORGOT TO TURN OFF THE WATER." It's forgotten. I love how you people show your stupidity by claiming your intelligence.

October 31, 2012 at 12:15 am |
    • LinCA

@Jeff

I'm guessing you are replying to me.

You said, "So what you two are saying is you are fine with what is believed as long as you agree with it?"
      No, of course not. As I said, you, and everyone else, can believe whatever bullshit you want. You are free to believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, the Abominable Snowman, Loch Ness Monster, Allah, Yahweh, Thor, Mithra, or any other mythical creature you want.

But just because you have the right to believe that nonsense, I am under no obligation to treat you like an adult for believing it. Unless there is evidence to support the existence of you imaginary friends, it is unreasonable to believe they exist. So, while I respect your right to believe it, I can't muster any respect for the beliefs themselves.

If you want your beliefs respected, support them with a rational narrative, and some evidence to back it up.

October 31, 2012 at 2:14 am |
  14. Tom

I see a bunch of atheists and Christians bickering back and forth like children here. I can sum it up to spare any newcomers the trouble.

Basically, the Christians here are "ignorantly" praying for the safety and welfare of the victims. The atheists are "rationally" hoping that everything turns out alright. In other words, nobody is actually contributing s*** to humanity, but is criticizing the other side for their negligence. Good job, dummies.

October 30, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • tony

Thanks for the help, Superman

October 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
    • GAW

As I have said before. They need each other. Let them get their frustrations out and sit back and enjoy the bantering.

October 30, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Tom./GAW you are on here.. what for? are you training for some job as a mediator?

October 30, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
  15. The final proof

Atheists DO NOT have souls. Proof: EVERY atheist will tell you he has no soul. Some of us have souls. Proof: We feel a connection to lives and spirits around us. An atheist can NEVER say something does not exist simply because THEY can not sense it. If my dog had a theory that I had no soul, I wouldnt listen to him either.

October 30, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
    • tony

If a soul means having feelings, then all have them. After all all babies are born as atheists, so children suddenly getting a soul ONLY after they have been taught religion, doesn't sound like any religious teaching I've heard of.

October 30, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • ScienceRules

Many atheists believe in a soul. They just don't believe that a supernatural god gave it to them. By definition "atheist" means without god not without soul the two are completely different things. Many religions around the world don't believe in a god but be believe in a soul.

October 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • BWANA DIK

DOG IS MY CO-PILOT.

October 30, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • lbpaulina

I discovered a new form of racism and stereotyping: who has soul and who has no soul. Ultimately, do you condemn who is atheist, and are you able to love him/her? Love has no color, no religion, no ID, because love is just simply love.

October 30, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
    • Gadflie

Er, final proof, look up the logical fallacy "Negative Proof", it will show you why your argument is so laughable.

October 30, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
  16. JD

Of course, the ONLY educated opinion is the very last one by the anonymous user, everything else is just heresay. Welcome to science people.

October 30, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
    • tony

Science is about facts and logical thought processes. Opinions are usually lacking both.

October 30, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
  17. conoclast

NOW can we as a species maybe talk about avoiding our own extinction? Unlike religion, extinction really is FOREVER.

October 30, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
    • Tom

Our extinction would be for the better of Gaia.

October 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
  18. LinCA

It was Santa's wrath for the massive ice loss at the North Pole.

October 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • BWANA DIK

THIS IS FAR BETTER EXPLANATION THAN THE PRIMITIVE THINKING OF RELIGIOUS MORONS

October 30, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Humanity4All

Many called for God! There is no God but ONE GOD and he heard it. Could have been worst.. Thank God!

October 30, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • LinCA

@Humanity4All

You said, "Could have been worst [sic]"
      Is there any disaster that can't be worse? 2700 dead at WTC. Could have been worse. 250000 dead in Iraq. Could have been worse. 60 Million dead in WWII. Could have been worse. That god of yours is a real merciful one, wouldn't you agree?

When does that worthless piece of shit do something good?

October 30, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • tony

Heard, but as always, did nothing.

October 30, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • BWANA DIK

IF THERE REALLY IS A GOD, HE MUST HAVE FORGOT TO TURN OFF THE WATER.

October 30, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Spoken like a true

God, that was not a fart!

October 30, 2012 at 9:58 pm |