home
RSS
Online conversations around Sandy feature God, prayer and atheism
A church sign from Sunday in a town on Long Island, New York.
October 30th, 2012

Online conversations around Sandy feature God, prayer and atheism

By Conor Finnegan, CNN

(CNN) - As millions of Americans begin to clean up from Superstorm Sandy, many will  turn to insurance companies to cover damages caused by an “act of God.” It’s legalese for natural disasters.

Some of the online conversation around Sandy have treated it as such an act, with the term “prayer” trending on Facebook on Monday, as the nation awaited the storm’s landfall.

We noticed four themes emerging that touch on God and religion on Facebook, Twitter and in CNN.com’s comments sections:

1. God bless: It was a message expressed by well-wishers around the world. Those spared by Sandy took to social media to show their support and sympathy as the images proliferated of New York’s flooded streets and New Jersey’s eroded beaches. Despite different faiths and nationalities, the upshot was the same: Our prayers are with you.

From Facebook:

Waleed Obaid My Prayers to all family and friends in NY and the rest of East cost OH Allah please help People to stay safe and no harm...

Darlene Guillen Bohorquez if this storm knocks you to your knees, you're in the perfect position to pray, and I will be praying with you. Keep safe and remember to help those in need in the aftermath.

Andrea Holmes My prayers go out to all the people who are affected by this storm. And praying does help. God is in control of everything whether you like it or not.

From Twitter:

Bishop Hanson ‏@bishophanson
Merciful God, for the millions who this night are experiencing the fury of Hurricane Sandy we pray for safety and comfort. Amen.

2. Thank God: For those caught in Sandy’s path, the conversation was different. More than 7.5 million in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast were without power on Tuesday. Those who could post online expressed gratitude, with “thankful” the 8th most shared term on Facebook by Tuesday morning. And from Twitter:

Demetrius Minor ‏@dminor85
Thanks to everyone who prayed for us during Hurricane Sandy. We were not affected. I thank God for that. Please pray for those who were.

Sam Gentile ‏@SamGentile
Thank God we escaped unscathed from Sandy except for power last night. This is unlike a lot of South Jersey that had lot of damage

3. God’s wrath: A small minority saw Sandy as God’s judgment.

This Tweet is from a leader of Westboro Baptist Church, the Kansas congregation known for its anti-gay pickets at military funerals:

Shirley Phelps-Roper ‏@DearShirley
We bow in humble thanks 2 God 4 Sandy! Thank God for a plain message delivered to a puddle of states that proudly flip Him off! #FagMarriage

We found these on Facebook:

Nikola Ilievski 24.03.1999. – 10.06.1999. God remembers everything, your NATO bombed us, now enjoy. Greetings from SERBIA!

Hassan Chandio -Disrespecting others religion. and destroying others country killing thousand and millions of people in afghanistan, libya and syria . this is what you get

4. God does not exist: Some used Sandy to question religion or at least the idea of blaming the storm on God, employing science, humor and venom. A back and forth between believers and nonbelievers sparked a tense conversation in the comments section on CNN.com.

From Facebook:

Johnny Trujillo Praying won't do any good. Send some aid or go volunteer if you really want to help. Talking to your imaginary friend won't do anything.

From Twitter:

Anonymous ‏@YourAnonNews
No, #Sandy is not evidence of God's wrath. It's evidence of our refusal to even discuss climate change & global warning.

What do you think? What role should faith or God play in the conversation about Sandy? Post your thoughts in the comments section.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Comments • God

soundoff (2,260 Responses)
  1. Why_Bother

It's sad to see a such a Natural Disaster like this happen. People could have prayed their home was spared and then after the destruction pray for a new home. Prayers aren't answered by god, they are answered by those around us who support and work hard to make everyone's lives better. When will people realize "god" does not exist but everyone around us community, family, friends do and they should be treated as devine, not a thought created by a powerful Church scared to lose their stranglhold on wealth and power.

October 30, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • MagicPanties

Oh, but it is so much better to talk to imaginary beings than to actually do something to help somebody.
      Sheesh.

October 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • Pete

Why trust or dispute the theology of insurance companies or religions,,,,, even "Christianity?" Jesus said, "If you have seen me you have seen the father." He stilled the winds and calmed the seas demonstrating love not wrath......except a bit of anger towards those who misrepresented God!

October 30, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • Pete

Jesus Christ was put on the cross for calling and treating people as devine.

October 30, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • MagicPanties

My invisible pink unicorn was crucified for spelling errors.
      Your point?

October 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
  2. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

October 30, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • MagicPanties

My invisible pink unicorn is praying that you get a clue.

October 30, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • nope

@ ma...
      nope

October 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
    • Don Camp

Prayer changes things, and the thing most in change is me. If I truly prayer in tune with God's heart, I will do more than pray. I will act. In as far as I can, I will answer my prayer. But that doesn't really cover the outcomes of our prayers. Often things happen beyond what we could do. That is God's answer.

October 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • Don Camp

Magic Panties, I guess you are your own. So how's that working for you?

October 30, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • Why_Bother

Teach your children to pray and I will teach mine to read and think logically. Then we will pick up the tab on your children's shortcomings because they preyed to be a physicist or doctor but somehow only landed a gig at McDonalds or driving a truck

October 30, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
    • Imagine No Religion

So, have you ever threatened YOUR children with eternal dam nation? I haven't, but I'll bet you have!

Prayer changes nothing.

I challenge you to take the George Carlin Prayer Test. Pray to your imaginary god friend for a month, then pray to Joe Pesci for a month. You'll find the percentage of prayers answered by god, and those by Mr Pesci, will be about the same (50/50).

"There ain't no jesus gonna come from the sky.
      Now that I found out, I know I can cry." – John Lennon

October 30, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
  3. Journey

October 30, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
  4. theorycraft

jesus christ! A time of turmoil is NOT a time for ANY kind of negative comments. It is NOT a time for judging others. If there's some earthquake in pakistan, I'm not going to be like 'hah, that's what you get!'

What? If I find an amish guy floating in the water, should I not let him on my motorboat?

October 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
  5. Jack

Christianity is a cancer that infects the minds of the weak and vulnerable. I pity thses 'souls'

October 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
  6. JesterJames

Trust in God, but buy Gold and take an umbrella. 😛

October 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
  7. dan

God is great.Organized religion sucks.

October 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • MagicPanties

But my god (an invisible pink unicorn) is greater than your god, and therefore your god sucks.
      So there.

October 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
  8. EnjaySea

The suggestion that a deity caused this storm, and is now standing by listening to people's prayers so he can intercede to help people out of the very storm he created, is exactly as ridiculous as it sounds.

October 30, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • MagicPanties

Well, gee, when you put it that way...

October 30, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

The nameless God Abram discovered at Ur has been believed to control the weather since the beginning of written history. Perhaps America will repent these never ending wars.

October 30, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • EnjaySea

Well, John, you've really convinced me. We shall repent now. So it is written, so it shall be done!

October 31, 2012 at 1:41 am |
  9. OrganicManLives_N_anOraganicUNiverSE

you will until you will not, and thats all there is. Enjoy

October 30, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
  10. SPQR

What we have learned from religion is far from what God would want us to be. The problem is not that God doesn't exist; the problem is that some men have found it very convenient to use the name of God to control other men for their own selfish purposes.

"VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS ADERIT."

October 30, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

Relativity and Quantum Mechanics require a sentient being to make the universe real. There is however scant evidence that any theologian has any influance over the Creator.

October 30, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • UncleBenny

"Relativity and Quantum Mechanics require a sentient being to make the universe real. "

No, they don't.

October 30, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • Truth_be_Told

now thats the most ignorant thing i've read so far

October 30, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • Andrew

"Relativity and Quantum Mechanics require a sentient being to make the universe real."

That's funny, in every physics class I've ever taken, that's NEVER been said. In my relativity classes I'm taught silly things like 'if we accept Maxwell's equations, c is constant in all reference frames via fairly trivial vector calc. Thus, relativity can be derived from a constant c in all reference frames"

No sentient creator required, just a universe where maxwell's equations work.

And quantum mechanics is even more confusing why anyone would utter that... quantum mechanics relies in large measure on uncertainty, on there being undefined states, if god could then predict quantum interactions, it kinds defeats the purpose of quantum mechanics. Now, I suppose "god is god, and can do anything", but that's hardly a "necessary" or a "requirement" as you put it, for quantum mechanics. It's a worthless additional postulate that ads nothing to the physics.

Why do I always feel like the people most willing to talk about what physics tells us about the universe have seldom actually taken many classes in the subject? When was the last time you actually took a course designed to teach you about quantum mechanics and relativity?

October 30, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

Andrew-In fact Relativity is Maxwell's equations with Time taken Independant of Space and is unbound by C. The speed of Light binds the time-space of electromagnetic waves, but Time is Independant of Space, for a gravity wave described by Relativity. As in Gravity is mass bending Time. I am a EE and a PE, so I like Maxwell's Equations for describing all electromagneic waves, including light; which has no mass.

October 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • theorycraft

lol... you're all idiots. He doesn't say anything about requiring a conscious creator. I think the quote simply says that we need at least one sentient being so that the mass of random atoms and jumping particles can become constrewed as a 'universe' (from the point of view of that being)

October 30, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
    • Andrew

John P. Tarver

How long ago did you take vector calculus? The Maxwell–Faraday equation and Ampere's law (with Maxwell correction) both explicitly contain a time derivative, what exactly do you mean by 'with time taken independent'?

How can you possibly do anything with Maxwell's equations without a dependant time-variable? Hell, since Maxwell's equations are explicitly equations to describe the propagation of an electromagnetic wave, how does time independence even make sense?

I'm also not sure what you mean by 'the speed of light bends the space-time of electromagnetic waves', which seems to be the mangling of quite a few concepts. The speed of light is CONSTANT (again, from Maxwell's equations), but gravity itself bends the direction of the light travelling.

The light is still moving at the same speed through spacetime, c. Really, I've got little clue what you're talking about.

Especially when you say 'time is independent of space'. No, no it's not, Relativity fundamentally requires that space and time not be independent, but rather closely linked in a "4-vector". Now, space and time have opposite signs, but that's not to say they're 'independent' of each other. The whole point of time dilation is that they AREN'T independent, changing your relative velocity in space changes the relative velocity you move through time.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with light not having mass, but that seems irrelevant anyway. You may be an engineer, but engineers usually care more about just how to work with the equations than what they actually mean. An actual class on physics would do you a lot of good, as an engineer can do the math, but still needs to see the physical derivations for themselves. Relativity is a lot easier to grasp once you derive the lorentz factor for yourself, and play with a tensor for the first time.

October 30, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

Andrew-In The Meaning of Relativity, by Albert Einstein, he explains how he used Mach's work with tensor calculus to decouple Time from space into a Fourth Dimension. Your understanding of Realtivity does not exist, but you could perhaps learn. I took 16 Semester hours of Halliday and Resnic in the Berkely series, but the Photon is presented as fact, even though no such particle exists. I learned about Relativity by reading some of Einstein's history and his opinion of what he described.

October 30, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • Andrew

This feels like a semantic argument, what do you mean by 'the photon does not exist'? If you mean that 'light does not come in quantized units', then while under relativity, yes, you could make the argument, but then you're calling quantum mechanics a lie.

In fact you're calling Einstein's only Nobel Prize, for the photoelectric effect, fundamentally wrong. Light coming in quantized packets is required to explain the blackbody curve, for example, just because relativity doesn't cover it doesn't mean that the results don't demand an explanation.

That's the fundamental problem with general relativity, one that hasn't been solved for a hundred years... it just isn't really compatible with quantum mechanics. Einstein never figured out a way to unify electrodynamics with general relativity. In fact, when the strong and weak forces were discovered, Einstein categorically ignored those forces entirely and pretended E&M and Gravity were the only two forces that needed unifying.

Quantum mechanics has been profoundly successful in granting us insight into the small. Light comes in quantized packets, the 'photon' (which thank you wave/particle duality is most certainly a particle, just like the gluon). Relativity is also most certainly correct, gravity is a consequence of spacetime.

If you try to use one of the branches of physics to try to argue that the conclusions of the other are wrong, then you are always going to be taking a position against a rather disturbingly large amount of evidence. You can't go saying 'Relativity says the photon doesn't exist' while pretending that somehow invalidates quantum mechanics, regardless of what Einstein believed. You're clearly capable to study the subject, but I'm sorry, what you've learned isn't sufficient to really give you a basis of the problems evident in your knowledge of phyiscs.

Einstein, though a great physicist, was DEEPLY DEEPLY FLAWED. The only way your statements make sense in physics is if we have a theory to unify QM and GR, 'string theory' is an attempt, though one I rather loath. There's also quantum loop gravity, which I know nearly nothing about. In other words, physics is very much up in the air about how to tie QM and GR together, your statements make conclusions that the best minds in theoretical physics are struggling night and day to try to solve. You're making very easy answers to questions you clearly don't understand how difficult they really are.

You've had an introduction to physics, but there's a hell of a lot more to learn. Things like 'the photon doesn't really exist' are cheap cop outs.

October 30, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • Andrew

Oh, and for the record, some of that animosity is directed towards various publicised attempts to unify QM and GR.

I feel like the media attention towards string theory as being 'cool' or 'interesting' has been such a successful PR stunt as to keep the subject alive despite no substantive progress in the subject at all. I mean, if it takes more than 30 years to possibly come up with a SINGLE real testable prediction which can be done within the next hundred fifty years, maybe the subject has been grasping at straws.

In spite of this, we hear string theory as though physicists have the slightest clue how QM and GR mesh. That's not really to den igrate their work, but even they would flatly admit 'no, my ideas aren't really testable right now.' The PR has been successful enough for the public to start to believe that the question itself has been solved, rather than highlighting the far more interesting fact that the question is still open, and that other avenues and other physics should be developed.

I wish it was more well publicized that 'we have no clue how to unify quantum mechanics with relativity.' No 'string theory is a potential.' No 'holographic principle.' You can mention these only to highlight how you can develop really any set of physics to try to answer the question, we don't have a single testable idea right now. It'd also help avoiding people from forcing the conclusions of QM on a massive scale (which I hear a lot from 'new age' gurus and the like) or from forcing general relativity upon quantum mechanics, which you have done but is admittedly a lot more rare for me to read.

I suppose though that comes from at least an honest attempt to understand the subject, while the new age individuals just make me want to claw my eyes out.

October 30, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
  11. bellenoitr

This wasn't an act of god. It was an act of mother nature, of science. So many people take comfort in their god. It's an illusion. If it gives them comfort then good for them. My god is nature with all it's beauty and force. And because I don't believe in a christian god, doesn't mean I don't care about my fellow human beings. I may not go to a church to pray. But I have compassion for all living things. And my heart hangs heavy when so many are hurt. And, yes, I do donate what I can to the American Red Cross and other reputable charities.

October 30, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
  12. bigdawg1

"Those christians! They're so poor, they only got one god!!"

-Comicus, 48 B.C.E.

October 30, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • Max

That's lovely!

October 30, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • Keslin

hahah! nice one ~fist bumps~

October 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
  13. Atheist and Proud!

I know this might be hard for you the religiously affiliated to grasp, but the fact is that Atheists are more apt to be moral, more progressive, more for unambiguous equality (yes, that's including religion), and more apt to be pacifists than our religious counterparts.

The difference is that we base our beliefs one-hundred percent in the realm of science. Unlike the religiously affiliated, we know religion isn't the cause for morality and kindness towards others not only because of our extensive readings of the works of Darwin and his ilk that prove this (i.e. "Selfish" gene), but because as we are ourselves proof of that.

Regarding our lack of belief in the afterlife, if anything that effects us positively as we know, rather, we believe we only have one lifetime to work hard, to be kind to all and to do good. There is no second try.

Regarding our responses to natural disasters like this, us Atheists do quite a lot. Personally I plan on giving blood, donating what little money I can, and voting for Obama as unlike Romney, he plans on continuing to funding central government departments such as FEMA which are essential to the clean up/repair following disasters such as this.

October 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • Atheist and Proud!

I'd also like to add that I wish these comment boards had edit buttons. My past English teachers/professors would all have a heart-attack if they saw my prior post!!

October 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • theorycraft

just fyi, natural selection has no place for kindness and neither faith in god nor faith in another person can be proven. If you take things purely scientific, we can actually determine out a superior race and work so that inferior genes are removed from future generations. So just fyi, we're not robots, we are all scientifically flawed on some level. Your believing yourself to be superior is simply a psychological defense mechanism to shore up support for yourself and weaken any potential opposition.

AKA: you're being as ignorant and self-righteous as the most radical of the believers, just that you call your god, science.

October 30, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Sajnav

"There is no second try." 🙂

October 30, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • jarhead333

@Atheist and Proud
      While we do not share the same beliefs, I found your post to be refreshing. No attacks directed specifically at Christians. I'm not sure though that I would say that the atheists on thiese boards are well read on Darwin though, or anything for that matter. While science claims to be able to prove everything, our existance cannot be proved. Many atheists hide behind science and cannot come to grips with the fact that everything cannot be explained. I believe that God is the father of science and as humans, atheists and Christians, we have an obligation to each other.

October 30, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • theorycraft

also, you non-religiously affiliated are 'more apt' to be moral because your definition of moral is constantly changing. Sorry but you cannot claim to have a set text from which all your values spring forth. So again, your whole argument is flawed. You can see the bible or any old script of law as outdated but still, the only reason you can claim to be more moral is because your morality is unfounded. Is it moral to torture a terrorist if it would save thousands of lives? Is it moral to destroy the nation of Iran if it would prevent World War III? Your answers will change.

October 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • lyjovin

As my High School Science and Physics teacher would always say....Some people hide behind religion, some hide behind evolution – the question you must ask is who created evolution????

October 30, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
  14. Gunny

God knows what he is doing. Now we spend days, weeks, months, and years to each other explaining what and why we think we know what God is doing.

October 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • Mack

That is just a pathetic way to look at pain, suffering and devistation; but admittedly, your only recourse at this point. No other way to explain how colossally terrible things can happen and there *still* be an all-powerful god. Hey, look, millions of people just got totally screwed by a storm......oh that's too bad, bud I'm sure it's part of god's bigger plan. Hey, look, some deranged clown just shot a bunch of people in a movie theater....oh that's not good, but at least it's part of god's bigger plan. Whatever, ostrich.

October 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
  15. David from Nor Cal

Prayer is the great cop out, the shrugging off of responsibility. It allows you to shut off your brain in situations where critical thinking may be the difference between death and survival, and for those on the outside it allows you to pretend to do something, and then go about your lives without feeling responsible for rendering any further aid. Now, I am not donating excessive money, or blood, or sending a card, but I'm also not kissing off the responsibility on an invisible man.

The use of a natural disaster for personal gain, political points, or to make yourself feel better because you "helped" is appaling. This storm happened because of naturally occuring phenomenon in the Earth's climate. It has happened countless times during history stretching back far beyond human beings, and it probably has little or nothing to do with global warming, and absolutely nothing to do with mythical fairy tale characters.

The idea that a storm is a judgement from anything on anything is the absolute height of human ignorance, who's only possible excuse is a lack of proper information and education.

October 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
  16. disengaging from you lunatics

Curious how the athiest spend so much energy denouncing others belief in deity. Sort of reminds me of throwing rocks at the moon under the delusion that one day you will hit it. Do you really think you will change someones mind when such is the most personal of beliefs? You either know or you doubt, but that is something for each individual to determine. Feel free to keep spending money on bill boards though.

October 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • Andrew

Do you scold Christians for putting up billboards as well? Or is it only silly when atheists do it?

October 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • EnjaySea

I'm not interested in changing your mind, because you've already been indoctrinated. But it might be helpful for some poor kid who's still trying to figure it all out, to hear that they don't have to believe everything they're told.

October 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • disengaging from you lunatics

No I just ignore them unless they are Westboro types.

October 30, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • Mack

It's not just atheists who think you're wrong. It's the billions of other humans that subscribe to a different dogma. You're sooooo sure you're right that you don't even look at all available data? I've done the research and made up my mind, but would happily switch teams if your robed friend would just fly from the clouds for a quick "hello". Doesn't look to me that you're open to any different ideas. Let's hope the next generation is a little more willing to learn new things.

October 30, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • disengaging from you lunatics

EnjaySea: Would you be so open to let your children be true free thinkers and explore religion or would you tell them it is absolute that there is nothing beyond what you perceive? Most athiest make the choice to leave spirituality as I know of no culture that does not have religious beliefs. Seems like you are attempting to do the indoctronating instead of letting someone come to their own conclusion. Be a free thinker and not a poser. I have no problem with someone making a personal choice to believe or not, but athiesim as a political motivation is as bad as holy rollers.

October 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I have no intention of disabusing someone of his belief in god. I simply have no interest in having him force it on me through laws and government.

October 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • bolo415

Sure will! And you theists go right ahead continuing with your billboards as well. After all, you came up with the idea. I particularly enjoy driving through Alabama. "Go To Church Or The Devil Will Get You" is my personal favorite.

October 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • Andrew

So you scold atheists, but ignore Christians. Odd, but at least pleasantly honest, so commenting on the hypocrisy would be fairly petty on my part.

October 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • nojinx

Sure, people abandon their theism all the time. More never embrace one, either because they are not exposed or they have no need.

Billboards are about sharing a message that many are never allowed to contemplate, much less have shared with them. Too many people, namely children, are indoctrinated and not allowed to develop their own views or learn the critical thinking skills that go along with such development.

If someone needs to be eighteen just to vote, how can they make such an important decision as their faith before adulthood?

October 30, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • EnjaySea

Since you asked, disengaging, I don't discuss religion with my children, or my grandchildren. They really do get to decide for themselves. You assume I'm indoctrinating them in my beliefs, because that's what happened to you. It might surprise you to learn that some children get the benefit of not having their parents' beliefs shoved down their throat.

October 31, 2012 at 1:48 am |
  17. Journey

Evangelikkkals and Republikkkan needs to move on from American history...every thing you people touched broke. Everything that broke on it's own you only made worse. Revenge against your own society for shunning you is all you people have left. Go to the horizon...the sunset is waiting.

October 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
  18. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I spend my entire life on this blog. When I pass, I can look back with pride on time well spent.

October 30, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

As can you, little shadow. How much time do you spend here, checking on my posts and responding to them?

Considering how little brain power you have, I suspect you spend far more time here than I do, since it takes you at least double the amount of time I need to formulate a coherent thought. Oh, wait...that's if you ever DO have a coherent thought.

October 30, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
  19. Justin T.

Belief in gods is simply proof of our education system failing and proof that people are ignorant to truth in proof and research.

It's been proven long ago that humans evolved from very distant ancestors. There's proof in fossils, genetics, and research. No, we didn't evolve from apes, those are another line of mammal all together. I don't see how people can ignore solid evidence other than a lack of education and a lack of research into your own humanity. It seems to me that every human would want to know where they came from in order to try to deduce where they may be headed. In viewing our past and seeing where we've evolved to currently you can see that if our own humanity in violence or invention doesn't destroy us we will have a very bright future.

I don't see how people can put faith, hope, and trust in something that doesn't exist. Notice all religions are based on faith that an unseen being exists that there's absolutely no proof of. You're much better off going out and making your life what you want it to be and making the things you'd pray for come true on your own through work and using your mind. If you claim that you hear a god, see a god, or feel a god then I claim that you are delusional and insane.

October 30, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

The problem with Dr. Gould's work in proving Man shares a common ancestor with dog is that the basis of Darwin's notional hypothesis of evolution as a means to species relies on that slow change over time basis to make it a notional hypothesis. Now that we know for a fact that evolution is not a means to species, there is no reason to assume we changed from another creature into man. That is to say, rapid evolution is a baseless assertion.

October 30, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • UncleBenny

Huh?

October 30, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • Gunny

Of course you can't see how people can put faith, hope, and trust in something that they cannot see, You're an atheist. Atheist go out and make their lives what they want it to be and make things come true on their own through work and using their mind. If you do not claim to hear God, see God, or feel God, I do not claim that you are delusional and insane. I just say that you are an Atheist and that is commonly the way Atheist think. When a person gets angry because someone else doesn't think the way that they do, they fall under the correct phrase of narcissistic.

October 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
  20. John P. Tarver

I believe God is hating the works of our Nicolaitan President.

October 30, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why would anyone care what a delusional moron "believes?"

October 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

Tom-I am not a follower of the angel Moroni.

October 30, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I don't care what or whom you follow, Tarder, you're nuts.

October 30, 2012 at 6:55 pm |