home
RSS
November 23rd, 2012

Explaining the Pope's Christmas debunking book

(CNN)–CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor Eric Marrapodi explains how the Pope's new book challenges long held Christmas traditions.

Read the full story on the Pope's new book here.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Catholic Church • Christianity • Jesus • Pope Benedict XVI • TV-CNN Newsroom

1. hindu filthy foot ism

Pediatrics ism shines, Panty hose ism was religion of every Dominatrix and Freaky toe suckers foot fetish ism, history of Panty hose ism is written in Madonna fetish coffee table book of Freaky toe suckers and toe lickers, men in Panty hose's, fetish ism, Japanese business men and their foot fetish ism stockings, toe spreaders as Panty hoses, professional ladies of night of foot fetish ism priests sneaking around filthy cheating men ism can before induction of foot licking as a Panty hose with corrupted sex acts subordinate French face sitter foot fetish ism pagan sex BDSM, of Freaky toe suckers licking and sucking as leading politicians $50 extra absurd ism.

November 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
  2. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

November 23, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • HeavenSense

Hi Prayer-bot

November 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • Akira

It sure as hell didn't help Shannon Mae Hickman's son, who was born two months premature and lived less than nine hours; she is now serving a six-year sentence for manslaughter, along with her stupid husband. Both are members believe in faith-healing. The infant died from pneumonia and a staph infection, due to under-developed lungs; if the baby had been in a hospital, the baby would be alive.
      Pray they get some bloody common sense while they're incarcerated, along with a vasectomy for him and a tubal ligation for her; they should not be allowed to breed.

November 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Adelina the Carnal Dentist out looking for Bippy to pull his molars, and other assorted things.

It sure keeps hurricanes away too, now doesn't it. It turns the heat and lights on too. Sure it does.

November 23, 2012 at 7:47 pm |

Prayer me.

November 23, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  3. ronvan

Praise the Lord: Are you trying to say that in reading the bible you are reading the exact words of God? I would agree that in reading the bible, going to church, etc., are not bad things! HOWEVER, my next question would be, which is the religious book that is written, by us mere mortals, that YOU would say is the right one to follow? As I read thru these comments I can understand why we hear that non-beleivers are becoming more prevelant! Again, about the Popes NEW revelations about the bible and Jesus's birth! Are WE to conclude that he had a vision or talked with God that showed him exactly what was happening at Jesus birth? OR is this just HIS "interpretation", based on his "interpretation" of how he read it? Altready comments about changing the manger scenes during christmas!

November 23, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • kindness

Accept christ. ask Christ for wisdom and dicernment. Ask from your heart . You will then see the truth out of many varied biblical wordings and arrangements .
      in Jesus name I pray that this works for you as it did for me.

November 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • hinduism by Judaism self center ,secularism source of hindu filthy hinduism, racism.

Too much use of hindu sanatan ignorant goons cannabis to reach their hindu, imaginary Mithra. savior.,

November 23, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
  4. hinduism by Judaism self center ,secularism source of hindu filthy hinduism, racism.

Open following sites to learn truth about hindu Mithra ism, savior ism called Christianity.

November 23, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

No thanks, keep your filth to yourself, goon

November 23, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
  5. Apple Bush

Russ,

I am breaking the thread, too long now and too much scrolling.

Tolkien valued myth and fantasy, obviously, and he understood that "The heart of Christianity is a myth which is also a fact."

I know what that means to me, but I won't tell you how to interpret it. He also said, "At its best, the fairy story or fantasy is far from being a flight from reality; it is, rather, a flight to reality."

In my view, Tolkien saw fantasy as a way to arrive at truth through imagination. It was not literal nor is the bible.

Lewis on the other hand was a bigot and racist who challenged Tolkien's friendship with is racism in the Narnia books, which Tolkien could never condone and is on record.

Anyway Russ, whatever. I love fantasy and it sounds like you do to. On that we can agree.

Have you read all of the Wizard of Oz books? More of the same, but great. And Wicked and Son of a Witch now have been added to that mythology. To me, I can draw a line to Jesus forwards or backwards. It is a myth, clearly.

November 23, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • Akira

Apple Bush:
      There are two more books added to those "Wicked" books:
      "A Lion Among Men", about...you guess it, and "Out of Oz", which I haven read yet.
      "Wicked" the musical was fantastic.
      Galinda, (later Glinda) was a slore.

November 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • Apple Bush

More in the Wicked series by the same author?

I saw the musical twice. It was great!

Do you know have Elfaba got her name??

November 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Great show. "For Good" is one of my favorites.

November 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Apple, I had to Google it–it's from the initials of L. Frank Baum!

November 23, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Hey Tom Tom. Did you see the english verion of the Girl with Dragon Tattoo when it came out? I thought the original was better.

November 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Correct, I thought was clever.

November 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Apple Bush

I have the entire collection of Oz books, including everything Baum's son wrote after his death.

November 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, Apple, didn't see the original "Girl."

November 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Apple Bush

You didn't miss anything.

November 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The book is almost always better than the movie made from it.

"We Need to Talk About Kevin" is a great example.

November 23, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Akira, I can't believe I overlooked these two books. Thanks for the info.

November 23, 2012 at 8:09 pm |

Hinduism, absurdities of atheist goons, nothing can come close to the book called Alibaba and 40 thieves, it was so magical, I still keep the book under my pillow, and dream of thieves, ignorant

November 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  6. kindness

This is my experience... Thank you.

MY personal testimony.
    A thought to consider without an ego response

I Accepted Jesus christ as my lord and saviour. You never know how soon is too late. Transcend the worldly illusion of enslavement.
    The world denounces truth....

Accepting Jesus Christ (for me) resulted in something like seeng a new colour. You will see it .....but will not be able to clearly explain it to anyone else..... Its meant to be that way to transend any selfism within you.

Also... much the world arranges "surrounding dark matter into something to be debated" in such a way that protects/inflates the ego.

The key is be present and transcend our own desire to physically see evidence. We don't know anyways by defending our own perception of dark matter.

Currently.... most of us are constructing our own path that suits our sin lifestyle. Were all sinners. Knowing that we are is often an issue. But both christians and non are sinners. Even once we are saved by christs merciful grace we will still experience adversity to mold us to adhering to the truth.
    We will slip... But not fall of the ship ...carrying us onward to perfection in christs grace.

We don't like to Let go and let god. We want control to some degree. This is what Jesus asks us to do. "Follow me".
    It's the hardest thing to do... but is done by letting the truth of scripture lead you (redemptive revelation)... as I said .

Try reading corinthians and see if it makes sense to you. Try it without a pre conceived notion of it being a fairy tale.
    See the truth...
    do we do what it says in todays society... is it relevant... so many have not recently read and only hinge their philosophy on what they have heard from some other person...which may have been full of arogance pride or vanity..

Look closely at the economy ponzi, look at how society idolizes Lust , greed , envy, sloth, pride of life, desire for knowledge, desire for power, desire for revencge,gluttony with food etc .

Trancsend the temporal world.

Just think if you can find any truth you can take with you ....in any of these things. When you die your riches go to someone who will spend away your life..... You will be forgotten.... history will repeat iteslf.... the greatest minds knowledge fade or are eventually plagerzed..... your good deeds will be forgotten and only give you a fleeting temporary reward . your learned teachings are forgotten or mutated..... your gold is transfered back to the rullers that rule you through deception. Your grave will grow over . This is truth .

Trancsend your egoism and free yourself from this dominion of satan. Understand you are a sinner and part of the collective problem of this worldly matrix... Repent.... Repent means knowing (to change) The Holy spirit (within) will convict you beyond what you think you can do by yourself. Grace is given to those who renounce the world. That are" in" the world but not "of " the world.

Evidence follows faith. Faith does not follow evidence..... Faith ....above reason in Jesus Christ.

Faith comes by Reading or Hearing the word of god from the bible . Ask Jesus in faith for dicernment and start reading the new testament... You will be shocked when you lay down your preconceived notions and ....see and hear truth ... see how christ sets an example ... feel the truth....

Read Ecclesiastes. Read romans or corinthians.

You cant trancend your own egoism by adapting a world philosophy to suit your needs. Seek the truth in Christ.

Sell all your cleverness and purchase true bewilderment. You don't get what you want ....you get what you are by faith above reason in christ.

I promise this has been the truth for me. In Jesus christ .

Think of what you really have to lose. ...your ego?

Break the Matrix of illusion that holds your senses captive.

once you do . you too will have the wisdom of God that comes only through the Holy Spirit. Saved By grace through Faith. Just like seeing a new colour.... can't explain it to a transient caught in the matrix of worldly deception.
    You will also see how the world suppresses this information and distorts it

You're all smart people . I tell the truth. Its hard to think out of the box when earthly thinking is the box.
    I'ts a personal free experience you can do it free anytime . Don't wait till you are about to die.. START PUTTING YOUR TREASURES WHERE THEY REALLY MATTER >
    Its awsome and It's just between you and Jesus

my testimony

Romans 10:9

Last eve I passed beside a blacksmith’s door,
    And heard the anvil ring the vesper chime;
    The, looking in, I saw upon the floor
    Old hammers, worn with beating years of time.
    “How many anvils have you had,” said I,
    “To wear and batter all these hammers so?”
    “Just one,” said he, and then with twinkling eye,
    “The anvil wears the hammers out, you know.”
    And so, thought I, the anvil of God’s Word,
    For ages skeptic blows have beat upon;
    Yet, though the noise of falling blows was heard,
    The anvil is unharmed – the hammers gone.

Truth is..exclusive

November 23, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • realbuckyball

So, you're suggesting that we lie to your god, and that he's too stupid to know that we don't buy the nonsense ?
      Get a grip. You sound like you're trying to convince yourself.

November 23, 2012 at 6:45 pm |

That was super.

November 23, 2012 at 6:45 pm |

old hind, BS of hindu's, story tellers.

November 23, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • lionlylamb

kindness,

I treasure nothing that this world does offer one. No treaures do I physically have. None. My life's past was and I live in the now for to seek my own understandings regarding God. Is God real? Is God just a figment of social discource? Are there really sons of God which the gospels do hint on and about? Where does one seek for the kingdom of God as so told to do in scriptures? Even in the scriptured verses it is said that the kingdom of God is inside us. How can such be found as being truth? Are our bodies truthfully noting ore than buildings as scripture does declare? For you see, I am held in wonder of God and God's Kingdom Domains. Who among us truly knows God and His Kingdom's Domains? All I have are my thoughts and nothiing else for which to bargain with concerning such matters of my heart.

November 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • ed galbraith

""If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved"...And if you don't? You burn forever? That's some LOVING god you've got there...no thanks.

December 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm |

birth date of profat Mohammad is razor thin, I did Google research too, but I found nothing, seculr s, denier of truth absolute GAWD, not Thin Allah, ignorant goons.

November 23, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  8. lionlylamb

My God is a great friend of mine! He does not condemn me should I stumble and fall down! He does not ridicule me whenever I do stupid things! In fact my God is Nothing at all! Really! He, rather His Holy Spirit is the Great Seas of absolutely Nothing! My God's Seas of Nothing does reach from outer space and his ever flowing rivers of nothing does traverse into our bodies to become springs of living nothingness! Only in the afterness of my passing on will I meet the physical God of my heartfelt desires!

November 23, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Ur a troll

Obviously a fake lionly lamb. H must really get to you if you're stealing his handle, what a sad pathetic person you are.

November 23, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Ur a troll,

What a troll mongerer you are! My "true blue name" cannot br refabricated by anyone but me! So stick it up your wahzoo Ur a troll!

November 23, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
  9. CNN Moderator - Casting Call

ATTENTION CNN BELIEF BLOGGERS,

We are doing a casting call for an on-air debate to air in February 2013. We'd like applications from the belief bloggers and the four best candidates will be invited to our CNN studios in Atlanta for a live debate! If chosen, we will provide a debate expert to provide training prior to the live debate.

The four best responses to this post will be contacted (just make sure your handle is tagged to a correct email address) for further information on how to be a selected finalist! We will be posting this a few more times throughout the next month. Judgement criteria will mostly consist of;

A) Historical & scientific details supporting one's claims.
    B) The ability of applicants to show critical thinking skills and tackle complex issues.
    C) Counter arguments to opponent's claims.

Don't wait, as this is one of limited chances to be selected for the first ever CNN Belief Blog live debate!

November 23, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • realbuckyball

Joke and 1/2. You forgot to mention the topic. Hahaha.

November 23, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • Al

The topic could be Fantasy vs. Reality.

November 23, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • Akira

Fantsy vs. Reality is good; email me @ getagrip@hahadork.com

November 23, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • Apple Bush

I know which four we should send.

Colin vs. Reality (gentleman, we need to break for a commerc....gentleman...excuse me could you.. we just need to ...sir...sir_

Hindu-bot vs. Mr. lionlylamb (could you repeat that sir, I did not ...quite....understand what you meant there...)

November 23, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • sqeptiq

"this is one of limited chances"????? really? Trolling for email addresses?

November 24, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
  10. hinduism by Judaism self center ,secularism source of hindu filthy hinduism, racism.

Truth shines, Mithra ism was religion of every Egyptian and Persian hindu, history of Mithraism is written in monuments of Persia and Egypt, men as Mithra's, saviors, King's and their hindu Magi's, fortune teller as Miyhra's, profession of hindu priests of vati (pebble called Paris) can before induction of Jesus as a Mithra with corrupted text subordinated to hindu pagan trinityby french, of Persian heritage as leading figures. Sorry I missed, but have no doubt, Temple in Jerusalem was built with financing from hindu Mithra followers of Persia with condition to have a place for them out side the temple to learn or steal knowledge from Israelite.

November 23, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • hindu filthy hamlin ism

Only way to cracken ism is abandonment of that stupid mechanical owl in the original Clash of the Titans movie Zuesism, filthy medusa ism, denial of stop motion visual effects absolute ZUES by that stupid mechanical owl in the original Clash of the Titans movie perseus, ignorant Poseidon harry hamlin s, or lightening will keep giant scorpions on their feet as long as that stupid mechanical owl in the original Clash of the Titans movie and their belief in andromeda ism , hind harry hamlin ism is around.

November 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

Aghori of extra Thin Allah

November 23, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • Akira

Harry Hamlin ism, LA Law icky ism, Susan Dey ism filthy, ignorant, hind.

November 23, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
  11. Apple Bush

Hi Akira, I have been testing the bulge inequality theory with my stomach. I am winning.

November 23, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Akira

Apple, sounds like you had a VERY good TG.
      Excellent!

November 23, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Akira, your book on page 1 has 9 chapters now lol.

November 23, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • Akira

Crud! I'm on mobile, and I can't see it...I can only see the current page! I'll have to throw the kid off of her computer if I want to see it, which I will promptly do right now.
      On the plus side, Santa Akira is buying herself a tablet for Christmas, so this won't be a problem for much longer.

November 23, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Cool, I bought tablets for my youngest and wife last year and the love them. (Kindle Fires)

November 23, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • Akira

Probably what I'm gonna get; heard they were great.
      I threw the kid off, and saw that the extremely judgemental 'Praise the Lord' took exception to my calling out the Pope on this sancioning child r a p e; how could anyone call into question that THAT is an abomination, and call themselves a decent human being, let alone one that believes in "Praising the Lord"?
      Your 9th chapter has me giggling...

November 23, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • Apple Bush

The Pope is clearly suffering from B.I.

November 23, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • Akira

...and now I'm cracking up again...being he is supposed to be celibate, BI shouldn't even come up...pun intended...

November 23, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
  12. Apple Bush

Horus = Jesus
    Attis = Jesus
    Glycon = Jesus
    Heracles = Jesus
    Romulus = Jesus
    Odysseus = Jesus
    Krishna = Jesus
    Buddha = Jesus
    Mithra = Jesus
    Dionysus = Jesus

Christians, the concept of Jesus Lord and Savior is a myth. It is so simple. So very, very, simple.

November 23, 2012 at 4:55 pm |

Mohammad = Jesus

November 23, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Akira

Hey, Apple. What's the haps?

November 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm |

@hindu bot

You don't even make sense when you keep it short.

November 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm |

it is not me, but a hindu, copy cat.

November 23, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • Apple Bush

filthy hindu id copy cat GAWD

November 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Topher

Dude, I think you missed our topic the other day. Someone brought up Mithra and they thought they had made me look like the biggest fool ever until I proved that the Mithra religion ended up stealing all the Christian doctrines.

November 23, 2012 at 5:22 pm |

my goon mother, denier of real father absolute, was posting as me, goon, her hind hurts, ignorant

November 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm |

November 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • LOL

FOOL = atheists.

November 23, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • LOL

Apple Bush, come clean. Tell everyone what sins you hold dear.

November 23, 2012 at 5:33 pm |

@LOL

Why do you say that?

November 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • Apple Bush

@LOL, I would be happy to but please explain what a sin is.

November 23, 2012 at 5:37 pm |

Apple Bush

"Topher, if you can really ignore all of the very obvious similarities I have pointed out to you, well. wow."

I don't deny the similarities. But the fact remains, when you look into the histories, they have stolen those things from Christianity. For instance, with Mithra, if you look at what the religion taught at its beginning, it's not the same at its end. What a coincidence that the Christian "similarities" aren't there until the second century AFTER Christ.

November 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm |

Every act based not on truth absolute but justified by self hinduism, ignorance, thinking himself to be truth absolute GOD, being a HOTO, otherwise known as being a hindu sanatan, criminal goon.

November 23, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Topher, *sigh* I gave you ten examples, not one. You can't even debunk half of the mithra similarities, much less all ten prophets and gods. You are 100% positively wrong without a single shadow of a doubt.

November 23, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
    • Topher

Yes, you gave me 10. I took one and debunked it. Will you admit that at least?

November 23, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • Russ

@ Apple Bush: here's a lifelong myth expert (CS Lewis) exposing your false notions of myth. It's an essay he gave to biblical scholars at Cambridge on why labeling the Gospel accounts as myth is simply untenable. If you're willing to read...
      "Fern Seed & Elephants"

a sample...
      "I have been reading poems, romances, vision-literature, legends, myths all my life. I know what they are like. I know that not one of them is like this. Of this text there are only two possible views. Either this is reportage – though it may no doubt contain errors – pretty close up to the facts; nearly as close as Boswell. Or else, some unknown writer in the second century, without known predecessors, or successors, suddenly anticipated the whole technique of modern, novelistic, realistic narrative. If it is untrue, it must be narrative of that kind. The reader who doesn't see this has simply not learned to read."

November 23, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Topher, no you did not debunk it. There is nothing to debunk. I am telling you that these ancient myths contribute in a variety of ways to the Jesus myth over a long period of times. It is common sense, and easy to draw a line from to Jesus.

November 23, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • realbuckyball

Topher,
      You did nothing of the sort. Mithraism got it's core beliefs from Zoroastrianism, which predated Christianity by thousands of years. In fact one can demonstrate that Paul's concept of "purification", (not Hebrew atonement), came from Zoroastrianism, (via Mithraism). Try again. And stop lying

November 23, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Lewis was a religious fanatic and delustional. I do not value his opinions. His friend Tolkien was a far better historian and expert on mythology and I have ready every Tolkien book he ever wrote and a few Lewis books. Huge difference on the plus side for J.R.R. Jellical Cats ad Pollicle Dogs is good though. Anyway, you are wrong.

November 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • OTOH

Russ,

Russ, Re: Myth, Legend and Bible stories:

Characteristics of Myths:
      1. A myth is a story that is, or was considered, a true explanation of the natural world and how it came to be.
      – Check.
      2. Characters are often non-human and are typically gods, goddesses, supernatural beings or mystical “fist people.”
      – Check.
      3. Setting is typically ancient, or prior to the time when actual records were kept. Myths are typically set in a world very similar to our own, but with supernatural monsters or areas.
      – Check
      4. The plot of a myth may take place between a supernatural world and our present day world. Myths do this to highlight the basic human behaviors that are essential in any setting.
      – Check
      5. Myths possess events that bend or break natural laws. This is often done to magnify the “super-naturalness” of the mythical world.
      – Check
      6. Promotes “Social Action”—myths try to tell people how to act and live. Core values such as individualism, family and community are often instilled in mythical heroes.
      – Check
      7. Myths have sense of mystery, or the unknown.
      – Check
      8. Dualities (or complete opposites such as night/day, good/evil) often play important roles in the plot of a myth.
      – Check
      9. Myths often have an emphasis on language… Mythical heroes are often sophisticated storytellers.
      – Check
      10. Myths are often metaphoric—that is, myths are created to comment or analyze a real world event. Real world questions that myths often attempt to answer are:
      • Why are we here?
      • Who are we?
      • Why are we living? What is our purpose?
      – Check
      ------------
      Characteristics of Legends:
      A NARRATIVE of human actions that are believed by the storyteller and the reader/listener to have taken place in HUMAN history.
      – Check.
      Written in such a way as be at least potentially real/true; includes no happenings outside of the realm of possibility.
      – Check.
      Legends have a specific SETTING: a time, and a place. They often include beliefs and ideas of a culture.
      – Check.
      Legends have flexible guidelines, therefore, can begin with miracles that are believed to have really happened.
      – Check.
      Legends transform over time. Facts will change or be stretched, hyperbole will enter the plotline, and colorful details will remain and/or get more colorful. Legends evolve over the years and are kept fresh, lively and exciting.
      – Check.
      Legends can be prose or poetry. They combine a real event or real person’s unusual life story with the exaggeration and heroic actions that we associate with stores of heroes and great national events.
      – Check.
      Legends read like folktales but have at least a bit of historical truth.
      – Check.

November 23, 2012 at 6:04 pm |

Apple

It's possible I missed the meaning of your original post, but when you say "Mithra = Jesus", the insinuation is that because the two have similarities that Christianity stole the ideas from older religions. When if you look at Mithra historically, it is proven it stole from Christianity.

realbuckyball

Does the original Mithraism predate Christ? Yes. But that Mithraism has no similarities to Christianity. Those things came two centuries AFTER Christ. Look it up. I presented two sources that showed this to be the case.

November 23, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Oh Russ, one other thing. History repeats itself as evidenced by the constant retelling of the savior myth. But Germanic and Norse mythology and the Arthurian tales among others could all easily be adopted as truth by future generations once they have gone through another dark age. Today's religions work hard every day to drag is a;; back to the iron and bronze ages but not on my watch.

November 23, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
    • Russ

@ Apple Bush: classic shallow move there – instead of engaging the content, merely label the scholar...

Per your JRRT thought, worthy of note: Tolkien was the Christian who told a then-atheist CS Lewis myth scholar that "Christianity is not one more myth pointing to a deeper underlying truth. Christianity is the truth to which all the myths point."

Read the essay. Engage the content. Otherwise it's just name-calling for lack of a substantive argument.

November 23, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
    • Russ

@ OTOH: read what I said to Apple Bush above. a couple of additional thoughts...
      a) myths arose hundreds of years after the supposed events. Paul wrote 1 Cor.15 within 15 years of Jesus' death. he was inviting fact checking.
      b) myths never include the detail that these accounts do. read CS Lewis on that. and note his point: the fictional version of this sort of writing did not arise for another 1700 years. understand what you are claiming literarily before you make such an unfounded claim (a genre that had no predecessors or successors for over 1700 years and yet was that successful?).

November 23, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
    • realbuckyball

Topher,
      As in the past, you're in over your head. You have proven nothing. The Zoroastrian roots of Mithraism prove you wrong. You you even know how Paul changed what he did ? Apparently not. You need some History.

November 23, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • OTOH

Russ,

a) Paul... invited fact checking? Paul was a ranting, raving zealot, who would not have brooked any contention. He does not tell anything of Jesus' life, miracles or anything else, except for the Resurrection and the alleged, unnamed "over 500" witnesses. Paul did not even know about "The Lord's Prayer", supposedly directly from the lips of Jesus.

b) I am at a loss as to what you mean here. Are you saying that there were no written myths or legends before the 17th century?

November 23, 2012 at 7:02 pm |

it is not me, goons, it is not me but a hindu father, copy cat.

November 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Russ

@ OTOH:

a) Paul certainly invited contention. he found it everywhere he went (2 Cor.11 lists his sufferings – which were wide & varied). and if you mean literarily, here we are dealing with one of the widest known evangelists in history. just a brief perusal through the latter half of Acts shows you how many different ways he invited people to contest his meaning (both Jews & Gentiles, even offering to explain the "unknown God").

secondly (from your first paragraph), the resurrection is the most important & fundamental miracle. if Jesus was raised from the dead, everything else is straining gnats by comparison.

third, his reference to 500 witnesses is astounding. the fact that they are "unnamed" (as you point out) fails to recognize that's at the end of a paragraph with over 10 other named witnesses. 500 would be ridiculous to list by anyone's estimation. but more pointedly, he is saying people were there – people who would still be alive. for that matter, Luke recounts Paul making the same argument before King Agrippa (Acts 26:26: "the king is familiar with these things... because they were not done in a corner") – even the royalty was aware of the events & eyewitnesses. Also, if you read Acts 2, Peter's first sermon at Pentecost assumes the people's knowledge of what happened at the Passover – as does the disciples comments to the risen Jesus on the road to Emmaus (Lk.24:18).

It's interwoven from the earliest accounts. The narrative flow doesn't work without it. Clearly the eyewitness testimony was there at the outset.

lastly, i assume you are making an argument from silence on "the Lord's Prayer." hopefully you know an argument from silence is a logical fallacy.

b) no. read CS Lewis' essay "Fern Seed & Elephants." he's making the opposite argument as a myth expert – namely, that the Gospel accounts cannot rightly be classified as myth. he's rather comprehensive in his criticism there, despite your earlier list. i'll repost the link here...

again, a sample...

November 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • OTOH

Russ,

a) If Paul "invited" dispute, as you contend, it was only to give himself a forum to expound about how correct he was and to control with his 'Pharassitic' personality. If Agrippa II was "the royalty was aware of the events & eyewitnesses" it was only because he had heard the stories passed around by early Christians. If Agrippa II would have believed them, he would have become a follower - he did not - and neither did Josephus, nor Tacitus, nor Thallus, nor any of the other oft-cited early 'historians' who reported on what the Christians said.

b) Matthew, Mark, Luke & John - Either this is reportage – though it may no doubt contain errors – pretty close up to the facts. "Facts", like 'miracles' and 'angels' and 'Satanic appearances' and dead people running in the streets of Jerusalem? "Facts" like no other corroborating evidence for the birth, childhood, young adulthood or travels of this Jesus?

November 23, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • Russ

@ OTOH:

1) maligning Paul's personality has nothing to do with the historicity of these events.

Ironically for you, the various books of the Bible were initially separate. Luke is a corroborating author – along with Paul himself. There was a multiplicity of eyewitnesses brought together in the biblical accounts.

If the test of historicity is that all the reporters believe it, then many (if not most) of the events of the ancient world would be discounted. If anything, attestations from those who DO NOT believe gives greater credence to the reality. If these non-Christian historians were silent on these issues, certainly you'd point to that (as you did before with Paul) – but they are not. And that is corroborating, even if you want to deny it.

b) you can't have it both ways. the problem for myths is the hundreds of years between supposed events and reporters. in the case of Scripture, it's within the lifetime of eyewitnesses. so you change the criteria – but at least that shows you are hearing the weakness of your former argument.

also, are you then accepting all the non-miraculous events as reportage? or dismissing those out of hand as well? even Bart Ehrman recognizes that Jesus certainly existed (see the foreword of his new book: "Did Jesus Exist?"). At the very least, it must be recognized that no other ancient person has such treatment. the timeline is too quick to be a myth or legend, and that same brevity also poses significant problems for anyone wanting to claim the disciples somehow perverted Jesus' teachings (as Lewis points out).

read CS Lewis' full essay. As I said, he's pretty comprehensive. not only does he address that, but also your final shot at the miraculous. i'd add to that: if you want to preclude the miraculous from history, you'll never believe in these things – but recognize that is not an attempt to get at reality. it's a philosophical predisposition. and one that denies data coming to you. ultimately, you must come up with a viable reason for the beginning of Christianity – something most historians recognize is a *significant* problem if you deny the miraculous.

As Wayne Meeks of Yale put it: "“Never in so short of time has any other religious faith or, for that matter, any other set of ideas, religious, political, or otherwise, without the aid of physical force achieved so commanding a position in such a short time, in such an important society. The more one examines the factors that seem to account for the extraordinary victory of Christianity, the more one is driven to search for a cause underlying them all. It is clear that at the very beginning of Christianity there must have occurred a vast release of energy virtually unparallelled in history, without which the future course of the religion is utterly inexplicable.”

Utterly inexplicable... if you preclude the miraculous...

November 24, 2012 at 10:34 am |
    • Russ

1) & b)... funny. oh well.

November 24, 2012 at 10:35 am |
    • OTOH

Russ,

I do not believe in mystical, supernatural beings or events. I did for many years, however, so I sort of know where you are coming from. Your arguments are valiant, but are not convincing.

Your (and Prof. Weeks) awe at the spread of Christianity is misplaced. Most people in those early centuries did not believe it, in fact, 2/3rds of people in the world do not believe it now - after over 2,000 years of proselytizing:
      The population of the world at present is a bit over 7 billion.
      There are approximately 2.1 billion Christians, which is around 33 per cent.

Islam has close to 2 billion adherents in only 1400 years.
      Mormonism has over 14 million in just 150 years.
      How long did it take for Newton's Theory of Gravitation to be accepted world-wide? Maybe around 50 years? Real things don't require proselytizing.

You certainly know why Christianity spread so fast - the social, political (and yes, even military) pressures of a very powerful Church, in addition to the early, successful PR campaigns and bush-beating by Paul and his disciples.

I do not believe in the "God of Abraham", nor the offshoot hypotheses. If, if... IF there is some kind of first cause or eternal ent'ity which 'judges' us, I cannot believe that it would hold honest disbelief in such shoddy evidence against us.

November 24, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • Russ

@ OTOH:
      1) the awe is not merely at the spread of Christianity. diseases can spread faster than that. the awe is at the only viable explanation for Christianity getting off the ground.

and per "real things don't require proselytizing" – yes, I agree the truth will out, but who wouldn't share good news? would Salk have said: "well, this cure for Polio will eventually get out there"? or did he bring the news with joy that this advance would save lives? and why are scientists arguing theories then? look at the arguments atheists level on this blog. "evangelism" is not merely the tool of the conservative...

2) your view of Christian history is re-narrated. check the sources. the first 300 years was not Christians getting the upper hand through political maneuvering, it was marginalized people dying for what they believed. unlike other religions (like Islam) that spread primarily at the end of a sword for the first few 100 years, Christianity spread very differently.

Check out Rodney Stark's book, "The Rise of Christianity: How the Obscure, Marginal Jesus Movement Became the Dominant Religious Force in the Western World in a Few Centuries." And note well what he describes: two plagues coming through. Romans, Greeks, etc. tossing their own family members out because of contagion. Christians taking those cast aside in, nursing them back to health – sometimes they made it, sometimes not. Sometimes the Christians caring for them died. One thing was for sure: when your own family threw you out for fear of death, and someone else took you in as family at risk of their own death (and often actual death), you had a new home & a new family. And the question was: why? because they believed – fundamentally – that's what Christ had done for them.

No, long before Constantine, Christianity went from marginal to over 40% of all the urban centers of the Roman Empire – and not because they were getting good treatment or political gain. It was only once they grew so large that the cynic (probably rightly) notes that Constantine just saw the political need & became a Christian. But let's not claim it was merely political maneuvering. That's simply inaccurate by all the historical records prior to AD 312. And even after that, Emperor Julian wrote one of his governors complaining that the Christians could not be gotten rid of – NOT because of political prowess – but because they cared not only for their own poor, but everyone's else's (something we need to recover in the American church).

Read Stark's book. Heck, even just read a review of it. The facts are there. You can't claim Christianity spread through socio-political or military pressure in light of the facts. Christians were the outsiders – and regularly dying for their beliefs.

3) our condition: it's not that God is holding something over us. it's what we have already done to ourselves.

John 3:18 (a couple of verses after the famous one) says anyone who does not believe "stands condemned already." the notion is not that "God is gonna get you" nearly as much as it is "see what you've done to yourselves?" an analogy: if a lamp could use its power to unplug itself, what condition would it be in? like that, we have brought ourselves into this condition – and therefore we are responsible. it is a statement of the deep benevolence of God to offer mercy (by taking the justice upon himself on the cross).

4) finally, thanks for being honest. but recognize a few things about your concession that you don't believe in the supernatural: there is no philosophical (or scientific, for that matter) reason to make that leap. it's a leap of faith – one often ascribed to theists & in particular, Christians. a purely material & naturalistic view of the world assumes some rather huge things about the nature of existence – and makes those assumptions ON FAITH.

Consider: if there is a god (obviously I have an opinion on that), can we dictate how he/she/it acts – including choosing the manner in which that One might reveal him/her/itself? it's as if – at the outset – the notion of an omnipotent, self-determining, infinite being now has to make sure "I'm ok with it" before he acts... it's self-refuting. If there is such a Being, he certainly doesn't have to check with us before acting. The better question is: has he acted? how would I know if he has chosen to reveal himself on his own terms?

November 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  13. Meatwad

If I was at the birth of Jesus, I would give that baby one of my dolls if I had any. I don't have any cuz I don't have no damn money.

November 23, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  14. Apple Bush

Why are so many horror movies set in a church?

November 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
    • Meatwad

I am scared of churches ya'll. They smell like old people and I don't have no damn many for the money pan.

November 23, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
  15. HeavenSent

Blame it on the Christians for having the guts to tell idiots God's truth. Your father Satan is holding the door open for you. The hair clogging my kitchen sink did not come from my head. End of days taught in Jesus' truth is nothing new to Christians.

Amen.

November 23, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  16. Adelina the Carnal Dentist out looking for Bippy to pull his molars, and other assorted things.

Revel in your carnality, you heathens. My Jesus can't wait to see you all in hell.

November 23, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Answer

It's your hell.. you made it.. you fear it. And of course you get to go there. XD

November 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm |

There is no hell.
      The ancient Hebrews did not believe in it. ("dust to dust" etc ..)
      The Christians cooked it up. Even St. Paul thought only the saved had eternal life.

November 23, 2012 at 3:42 pm |

Stupid squirrels.

November 23, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Just call me Lucifer

Your Jesus sounds like a real nice guy. I'd kill him, but since he never existed that would prove to be difficult.

November 23, 2012 at 3:43 pm |

No, I did not create it, truth absolute GOD, constant existed way before any thing existed, one has to be hindu, ignorant to deny it, otherwise existence of truth absolute GOD has been proven by science.

November 23, 2012 at 3:43 pm |

Jesus is hinduism, fabrication of hindu, pagan Romans, so is hindu pagan Mithra ism, savior ism called Christianity to hind, fool humanity.

November 23, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

cute, oaf of Theen Allah, like his goon Taliban father, using multiple handlers, hey goon, stop using punch card computer, goon.

November 23, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  17. hinduism by Judaism self center ,secularism source of hindu filthy hinduism, racism.

There is no Truth but truth absolute, Constant, and truth absolute is The GOD, Prove it other wise, IF YOU CAN, hINDU'S, DENIER OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD, ATHEIST'S, GOONS.

November 23, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

Ya, but there is one more Truth absolute, bitter, that's about you, you are an oaf, goon of Theen Allah

November 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm |

Only in hinduism, stupidity of a hindu, stupid.

November 23, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

show me a one person, I bet even your own mother, has no good things to say about you, stupid.

November 23, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  18. Apple Bush

Christians, the difference between you and me is when I was forced as a child to go to church and hated it, I refused to keep going. When I was forced to go to bible school and thought was ridiculous, I refused to keep going. I refused to be forced into stupidity. I would not be indocrinated. Now as an adult, I am free and very happy.

November 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • Ummmm?

And for those of us that weren't raised going to church? For those of us who had non religious parents and we found God at an adult age? What is your explanation then? Your flawed analysis only gives you the false sense of superiority. Sorry but the world's not as simple as you'd like it to be.

November 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Well Ummmm? I would say you missed an excellent opportunity. Your parents were right, and you are wrong. If you weren't influenced by your parents, it was somebody else. Tell the truth. No one just "finds god". That is a lie.

November 23, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Mel

I use to love church and Sunday school. I use to love asking questions. For some of my questions I got answers, and others not. It was the answers that I got that led me to atheism.

November 23, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • niknak

OK then Ummm, why not show us some proof of the god you claim to have found.
      We, the non believers have been waiting for that proof for since like forever.

What you found is only inside your head. Just because you think you found it does not mean it is real.
      And until you provide us with some proof, then it is false.

November 23, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Answer

The only thing the believers know is the word 'faith'. Everything else is just an emotional pretense.

"You gotta have faith. I feel the spirit and so should you." <<– this is all they have.

November 23, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Topher

I'm sure you and I have talked about this before, but I also did not grow up in church. I did go with my cousins a few times to Sunday School and church and also hated it and quit going. I didn't like, nor understand, what was being taught. I became a raging atheist and routinely called Christians "idiots" to their faces as a teenager. But all of that has changed now. 🙂 But I'm still working on my parents.

November 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Answer

So in other words 'Topher' you don't want to be alone without your parents.

November 23, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • Apple Bush

T, you are just afraid of death. I get it. I don't share that fear.

November 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm |

Answer

"So in other words 'Topher' you don't want to be alone without your parents."

You're right, I want my parents to be there. Why wouldn't I? If they aren't there, they'd be in Hell being punished. That's just not something I want ... for them or for you.

"Fear that you'll be alone forever in that 'heaven' – that doesn't even e-x-i-s-t. Must be nice to try to p-l-a-c-a-t-e yourself that you are doing 'good' for your parents.. or rather something selfish for yourself."

I won't be alone. I'd not only be with God and the other saints, but my wife and her family will be there. There's nothing selfish about my evangelizing my family. It's for their benefit and God's.

November 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • Topher

True, I'm afraid of the process of death. But not of what awaits me after that.

November 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
    • Parent

Topher: "But I'm still working on my parents."

November 23, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • Apple Bush

If you say so Topher. lol

November 23, 2012 at 4:03 pm |

@Topher

"It's for their benefit and God's." << delusion.

And "saints"?? << men's own way to just pin a t-i-t-l-e to themselves. You're so funny. XD

November 23, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • GTH

Topher,
      "If they aren't there, they'd be in Hell being punished."

What is your VERIFIED evidence that this really happens?

November 23, 2012 at 4:04 pm |

Parent

"Leave your parents alone on this matter. I sure hope that you are not badgering and proselytizing them."

I will not ever "leave them alone." This is too important. It's a matter of where your soul will spend eternity. But I don't think I badger them. They bring it up as much as I do, they just don't believe. How much hate would I have to have for them or any of you, to think I have the answers to eternal life and not share it?

November 23, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Apple Bush

If you love them let them go Topher. You must be difficult to bare. Poor mom and dad with their baby gnat buzzing around.

November 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm |

GTH

"What is your VERIFIED evidence that this really happens?"

That people go to Hell? Well, it only makes sense if there's a God and He is just. But other than that, the 66 books of the Bible, the eyewitnesses to Christ and His miracles, the historicity of the Bible, the hundreds of prophecies fulfilled by Jesus, the (at least) 10 non-Christian sources from the time ...

November 23, 2012 at 4:10 pm |

== quote==

Jason

This happened on April 21, 2011 at about 1 pm. I am not ready to share where this happened nor what University at this point. You can choose to accept or not accept what I have told you. Whether you do or not is completely irrelevant to me. It happened. Other appearances have also happened. But, this is not the place to discuss them. Just understand, you are all competely and utterly deceived. He is real. Jesus is God and He is very alive. He does not reveal Himself to all, but only those who are His followers at His choosing. I had no right for Him to appear to me. But, He had compassion and mercy upon me and of course knew I needed His appearing. I have seen Him. He came to me in my time of diistress. And, not only me but the person with me. Friends, this is all true. More than that I have nothing to say. If any of you want to email me to discuss this privately, let me know.

==end quote==

And you also claim; " to think I have the answers to eternal life and not share it?" .. so funny.
      Like Jason you claim.. yea ya claims. So tell me Topher where were you on "on April 21, 2011 at about 1 pm."?

November 23, 2012 at 4:10 pm |

Apple

Are your parents believers?

November 23, 2012 at 4:11 pm |

Answer

I have no idea what you are talking about.

November 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm |

@Topher

We'll I guess you have to have it explained then. XD

I asked you where you were at that exact time in reference. See there was another c-r-a-c-k-p-o-t.. just like you are. I probed him on his jeebus meeting. He got into a hissy and came up with that remark. His "meeting" with his lord.

So you see.. you and Jason share a common thread of stupidity. Your claims. Understand?

November 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • GTH

Topher,
      "Well, it only makes sense if there's a God and He is just. But other than that, the 66 books of the Bible, the eyewitnesses to Christ and His miracles, the historicity of the Bible, the hundreds of prophecies fulfilled by Jesus, the (at least) 10 non-Christian sources from the time."

None of those VERIFY that Hell actually exists, nor that people are/will be there.

November 23, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Yes T, they are Christians and elders at their protestant church.

November 23, 2012 at 4:18 pm |

Apple

That's cool. Are they born again? How often do they witness to you?

November 23, 2012 at 4:21 pm |

Answer

"I asked you where you were at that exact time in reference."

No idea, but I bet I was at work.

"See there was another c-r-a-c-k-p-o-t.. just like you are. I probed him on his jeebus meeting. He got into a hissy and came up with that remark. His "meeting" with his lord."

I have no idea who that person is nor what exactly he is claiming to have experienced. Oh, and dude, you atheists have called me a lot more complicated and mean names before. I can read. You don't have to spell it.

November 23, 2012 at 4:24 pm |

"Are they born again?"

I don't know.

"How often do they witness to you?"

They know better than to witness to me. I would shut them down in a heart beat.

November 23, 2012 at 4:27 pm |

@Topher

So nothing to back up your claims.. no surprise there.

November 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • Topher

Everything I listed backs up my claims.

November 23, 2012 at 4:30 pm |

@Topher

Sure ..right. Like making a shopping list solves the problem of evidence.

November 23, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Praise The Lord

Apple Bush, the difference between you and Christians is that we don't despise our parents, but respect them. There's the hint that your ego is bigger than you can fathom.

November 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
    • Topher

There's TONS of evidence. You just reject it all. That's your problem, not mine.

November 23, 2012 at 4:36 pm |

@Praise

"we don't despise our parents," <<I love how you twits try the usage of these emotional positions to devalue others who confront you and your bs. XD

@Topher

Do you reject Zeus? Why do you reject Zeus? lol

There are TONS of stuff on Zeus.. so how could you reject that god?

November 23, 2012 at 4:40 pm |

Answer

"Do you reject Zeus? Why do you reject Zeus? lol"

Because I believe Christ is true. If Christ is true, Zeus cannot be. They're contradictory.

November 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm |

@Praise The Lord

So because I won't be preached to and reject your foolishness, I hate my parents. Ok. Well, I love moms and pops so sorry to dissapoint you.

November 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
    • Akira

I didn't see Apple say anywhere that he despised his parents...

November 23, 2012 at 4:48 pm |

@Topher

There is your problem then..

November 23, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • GTH

Topher,
      "If Christ is true, Zeus cannot be. They're contradictory."

November 23, 2012 at 4:58 pm |

@Topher

November 23, 2012 at 5:00 pm |

Answer

"You follow some other made up claim and saying you have a 'list'. No evidence on it and you still want this claim to be true. Zeus died off because it is untrue."

You might have a point if it WAS untrue. However you haven't offered anything to prove that point. Now, as far as my list, what about it isn't evidence in the Gospel's favor? And if Zeus "died off" because it isn't true, doesn't the fact Christianity is still the largest belief in the world go against your claim?

"You hang on this current bs.. for what? Because of necessity or fear? What evidence did your indoctrinator give you to set this bs so firmly into your mind?"

Eh. My "indoctrinator" just told me what the Bible said. At that point, I'd called myself a Christian for 10 years, but it wasn't true. I would tell you I believed in Christ, but I wasn't born again/saved. Never once in those years did I pick up a Bible or really care what it had to say. I just thought that claiming belief meant I got to go to Heaven when I died. It doesn't work that way.

I hang on to my belief because I think it's true. I think it makes sense. I think the evidences for Christ are more compelling than the evidences against. I think the Bible is a historically reliable docu.ment that was written by eyewitnesses during the lifetimes of other eyewitnesses (so that there's an automatic bull monitor) that makes supernatural claims.

November 23, 2012 at 5:10 pm |

GTH

"The OT "God" and the NT "God" are contradictory in quite a few areas. You seem to rationalize that away quite easily with "fulfillments" and "new covenants" and stuff."

Nope. No contradictions. Two different covenants. So yes, I can "rationalize them away" because that's the truth of what happened.

November 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm |

Answer

"You do yourself an injustice by trying to give yourself a rationalization to want this stuff to be true."

Perhaps you missed my story. I didn't want it to be true. I didn't grow up in the church, was an atheist throughout my teen years and a false convert through my 20s. It's when I sat down with the claims of the Bible and looked at it logically and with the evidences that I came to the conclusion that it is all true.

November 23, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What a load of crap, Gopher. There is nothing "logical" about your beliefs or the Bible.

"It only makes sense if you believe in...."

It only makes sense to someone who doesn't HAVE any sense.

November 23, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
  19. :(

Atheists sure are a sad and angry bunch.

November 23, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • Huebert

You keep misspelling Christians. Why is that?

November 23, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Saddy face, you are incorrect.

November 23, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • noodles doodles and toodles

Then stop hanging around your sad and angry crowd.
      Oh wait.
      You really don't actually know any atheists do you.
      Judgmental liar.

November 23, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • :(

Know plenty of atheists noodles. Does it make you feel smart to make a.ssumptions about random people online and then claim that you actually know something about their personal life? Lol at the stupidity.

November 23, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • niknak

Unhappy face.

Lifelong atheist here.
      I am very happy and love life, every second of it.
      In part because I am free of myths and god(s).
      You should try it sometime and let go of your securtiy blanket.

November 23, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • noodles doodles and toodles

And they're all sad and angry ?
      Right. And saying they believe in sky-fairy when they really don't is your pathetic answer to their problems ?
      You remain a judgmental angry person who assumes you have all the answers.

November 23, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • :(

Thanks for playin noodle.

November 23, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Mel

🙁
      Generally speaking, it's the Christians who make blanket assumptions about nonChristians being evil and unworthy that earn the disdain of people, including atheists. What you're experiencing is a reaction to this overzealous Christian intolerance for the most part.

November 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • Answer

These believers just can't stand being rejected.

The lack of evidence.. the poor emotional threats .. and the fear. Always the fear. Such hollow beings that can't stand being rejected on their bs.

November 23, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • Praise The Lord

Luke 20:46   Beware of the scribes, which desire to walk in long robes, and love greetings in the markets, and the highest seats in the synagogues, and the chief rooms at feasts;

November 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • lionlylamb

I would rather believe in a God that nobody at all knows of then to believe in a so named God such as Jehova or Elohim or Yaweh. To damningly much sarcasms to deal with coming from blowhards who just want to get your goat to butt heads with!

November 23, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  20. Christopher Snitchens

Atheists are delusional.

November 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm |

But in a good way.

November 23, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Huebert

You misspelled Christians.

November 23, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • niknak

Christopher Robins,

Why, because we DON"T believe in fairy tales?

Is that kinda like having a hobby of NOT collecting stamps?

November 23, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Christopher Snitchens,

No 2 people are alike. No 2 Christians are alike nor no 2 atheists are alike. We are all fractured beings of mental considerations. We are egoistically enamued. We are all emotionally dependent. Where one gathers together is one's judgement call. Church? Bars? Another societal gathering spot? We need our senses to be moved and via being with otherly beings one can be sensually orientated yet still does one remain a singularity of absolute oneness never the less. Eat your leftover foods from Thanksgiving day and be greatful for having food unlike the most poorest does not have in many places around the worlds. Be thankful, be very thankful!

November 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • lionlylamb

enamored not namued.

November 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • Apple Bush

You don't have to correct yourself Mr. Lamb, no one can read your posts anyhoo.

November 23, 2012 at 6:27 pm |