home
RSS
Pat Robertson challenges creationism
Pat Robertson: "There was a time when these giant reptiles were on the Earth, and it was before the time of the Bible."
November 29th, 2012

Pat Robertson challenges creationism

By Dan Merica, CNN
[twitter-follow screen_name='DanMericaCNN']

Washington (CNN) – Televangelist Pat Robertson challenged the idea that Earth is 6,000 years old this week, saying the man who many credit with conceiving the idea, former Archbishop of Ireland James Ussher, “wasn’t inspired by the Lord when he said that it all took 6,000 years.”

The statement was in response to a question Robertson fielded Tuesday from a viewer on his Christian Broadcasting Network show "The 700 Club.” In a submitted question, the viewer wrote that one of her biggest fears was that her children and husband would not go to heaven “because they question why the Bible could not explain the existence of dinosaurs.”

“You go back in time, you've got radiocarbon dating. You got all these things, and you've got the carcasses of dinosaurs frozen in time out in the Dakotas,” Robertson said. “They're out there. So, there was a time when these giant reptiles were on the Earth, and it was before the time of the Bible. So, don't try and cover it up and make like everything was 6,000 years. That's not the Bible.”

Before answering the question, Robertson acknowledged the statement was controversial by saying, “I know that people will probably try to lynch me when I say this.”

“If you fight science, you are going to lose your children, and I believe in telling them the way it was,” Robertson concluded.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe that God created humans in their present form at one point within the past 10,000 years, according to a survey released by Gallup in June. That number has remained unchanged for the past 30 years, since 1982, when Gallup first asked the question on creationism versus evolution.

The Gallup poll has not specifically asked about views on the age of the Earth.

Ussher’s work, from the mid-1600s, is widely cited by creationists as evidence that Earth is only a few thousand years old. Answer in Genesis, the famed Christian creationist ministry behind the Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky, cites Ussher as proof of Earth’s age. They describe the archbishop as “a brilliant scholar who had very good reasons for his conclusions concerning the date of creation.”

For Christians who read the creation account in Genesis literally, the six days in the account are strictly 24-hour periods and leave no room for evolution. Young Earth creationists use this construct and biblical genealogies to determine the age of the Earth, and typically come up with 6,000 to 10,000 years.

Most scientists, however, agree that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old and the universe is 14.5 billion years old.

The idea of creationism has been scorned by the mainstream scientific community since shortly after Charles Darwin introduced "The Origin of Species" in 1859. By 1880, The American Naturalists, a science journal, reported nearly every major university in America was teaching evolution.

The question about Earth’s age has been in the news recently. Earlier this month, Republican Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida attempted to walk the line between science and faith-based creationism in remarks that that provoked the ire of liberal blogs and left the door open to creationism.

“I'm not a scientist, man,” Rubio told GQ’s Micheal Hainey. “I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States.”

- CNN’s Eric Marrapodi contributed to this report.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Christianity • Creationism • Evolution

soundoff (4,408 Responses)
  1. Dan

Michael Denton is smarter then Richard Dawkins

November 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • I wonder

Does he know the difference between "then" and "than"?

November 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • Dan

English is second language , I speak German

November 30, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

There is nothing stopping smart people from holding false or unfounded beliefs.

November 30, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • Estaban

Well, Dan, even in German you would want an indefinite article or the personal possessive determiner pronoun before "second language." Still, you does read Michael Denton real good, I bet.

December 1, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  2. Russ

Genesis 2 1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. 2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done. 4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, when the Lord God made the earth and the heavens.

Exodus 20 (The 10 Commandments) 8 Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Seems Clear to me. If I accept the idea that God is Omniscient, Omnipotent and Omnipresent, shouldn't I then accept the idea He could create the world and the universe and all that is in it with athought? Or does he need time?

November 30, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • Sarah

You conclusion does indeed make sense. But there still remains the dinosaur issue.

November 30, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You can accept it if you check your brain at the door and ignore scientific evidence. You're pretty good at doing that.

November 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

Once heard that the Hebrew word for 'day' can also have other meanings like 'epoch.' People forget that the Bible was not written in English.

November 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • Sarah

@Orygun Duck – that is almost proof that God didn't exist. I mean he should have known we would be speaking English one day, why not write the bible in multiple languages?

November 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • Russ

If you accept the Bible and believe that Christ is creator and sustainer of all... then I am living in the present. I find my being, living and serving my creator. It's definitely a personal choice.

November 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Duckie,

the duration of a day doesn't change the fact that the ordering is wrong. (Plants before the sun, really?) and that Geneis 1 and Genesis 2 are quite different. Fine for allegorical reference, but useless when taken literally.

November 30, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

English as a language is a relative latecomer.

November 30, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • Russ

@OD actually Genesis 1, Ezekiel 20.12, make it pretty clear that it is referring to a 24 hour period.

November 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
      9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
      10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the National Football League. In the morning and the afternoon of the seventh day thou shalt watch football on CBS or FOX (check your local listings) and in the evening though shalt watch NBC. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, except that they should fetch your beer from the fridge and make thy snacks for the game, nor any foreigner residing in your towns, except for the National Football League players and the coaches and the trainers and the referees and the ticket takers and the purveyors of hot dogs and beer and the color commentators and the play by play commentors and the cameramen and the ... skip a bit Brother Maynard
      11 For in six days the coaches trained the players with drills and films, but they contest on the gridiron on the seventh day. Therefore the National Football League blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

November 30, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

Ezekiel says that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because they 'were too well-fed.' Sounds like America.

November 30, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • Russ

GEN 1&2 are neither allegory nor are they different accounts.

November 30, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • Russ

It's really quite simple. I have come to accept the Bible as not only an accurate account of history, I also accept the Bible account of the birth, life, miracles, death and resurrection of Yeshua. You either accept it, or you don't

November 30, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

Genesis is a good argument in favor of 'intelligent design.' But we have a problem when we calculate distance in light years and that would be before we believe the universe began.;

November 30, 2012 at 7:01 pm |

I don't.

November 30, 2012 at 7:01 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Russ,

so how come Adam appears BEFORE plants and animals in Genesis 2, but humans (men and women together) don't arrive after the plants and animals on day 6 in Genesis 1?

November 30, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Russ,

Irrespective of interpreting a "day" as an arbitrary period of time, not only is Chapter 1 inconsistent with science but Chapter 2 is quite inconsistent with Chapter 1. Even the bible can't get the story straight. It is quite evident that Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 are two completely different cosmology stories.

Why two sequences?

The sequences are:

Genesis Chapter 1
      ---------
      – Beginning: Heavens and earth, darkness and waters
      – 'Day' 1: Light! night and day
      – 'Day' 2: Waters in the sky (atmosphere)
      – 'Day' 3: Dry land, plants
      – 'Day' 4: Sun, moon and stars
      – 'Day' 5: Sea creatures, birds
      – 'Day' 6: Land animals, Humans (male and female)
      – 'Day' 7: Miller time

Genesis Chapter 2
      ---------
      – Man
      – Plants
      – Animals and birds
      – Woman

Science
      ---------
      – Big bang (13.8BYA)
      – Star ignition (sun 4.57BYA)
      – Planetary accretion
      – Earth (4.54BYA)
      – Moon (4.53BYA)
      – Bombardment
      – Surface Water, toxic atmosphere
      – Simple vegetation
      – Oxygenated atmosphere
      – Aquatic life
      – Land animals
      – Birds
      – Mammals

November 30, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
    • Russ

II know that Jefferson accepted the Bible, except for anything miraculous (In fact he commissioned a Bible with all supernatural removed), but I find it hard to avoid some things that can not be explained in my personal life. Though I can not attribute everything strange that I have experienced to another force or being, Iknow that nothing we currently accept as empirical evidence can satisfy those experiences that I have had. Iwas raised in a world of atheism and wica. My father was a very intelligent and logical man. My aunt asked to have a seance in our home. The relatively immovable objects that moved, the experience of another presence, personal sensations, etc., all contributed to a very long search for what is real. This was just the beginning of my path to that has led me toaccept Yeshua as my creator and Lord.

November 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Russ,

sounds more like a testament to Wicca than anything else.

You are entirely welcome to your beliefs. Why can't a belief in God be consistent with holding the viewpoint that the earth is 4.5 billion years old?

32% of Americans are OK with this.

November 30, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • ;p;

@Duck

it's all that fundie chik-fil-a causing the well fedness

if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck maybe it should shut the fuck up

November 30, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

Your story is compelling. For some , it is easier to believe in the dark forces than it is to believe in God.

November 30, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Russ

Russ You have to realize that the chapter numbers and verse numbers were added in the 4th century... Also you have to realize that early eastern writings were not always sequential in their style... often they would present a topic and then repeat it in order of importance rather than order.

November 30, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

@;P; Well-fed wasting time in front of a computer screen is the American life now.

November 30, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • Russ

Russ Russ you have to realize that two pears don't a frozen spatchcake make. Not in Greenland, anyway.

November 30, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Russ,

you can't claim it is inerrant and literally true and then say you need a secret decoder ring to unravel it back to it's 'proper' order.

If you're now in the 'interpretive' space, then you consider it to be allegorical. In which case a 4.5 billion year old earth is just fine.

November 30, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • Russ

You can believe anything you want. However, if you are going to accept the Bible as the Word of God... It seems hypocritical to accept some accounts and not others. Belief ala carte

November 30, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Russ,

surely a Christian can focus on the Gospels and only consider the old testament as allegorical – in the vein of containing 'truths' without the requirement to be literally true?

November 30, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • Smack

Genesis also states that the earth is stationary, the sun revolves around the earth, the moon gives off its own light, day and night was created two days before the sun, etc..

Genesis is a complete failure and you cannot pick and choose what parts to read. You will never hear a minster state that Noah was 500 years old when he was told to build the boat, that he set sail at 650 years old and lived to be over 900 because people might not believe it.

November 30, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • Russ

Smack obviosly has his own Bible.. Nowhere in the Bible does it present a Geocentric model.

Hundreds of places and people from the old testament have been verified by archaeology in the last 200 years. To sy that is is allegory would be to deny modern archaeology.

November 30, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Russ,

Sure Jericho is a real place. Who is questioning that?

The bible is a mismash by many authors over many centuries. Some of it is narrative. Some of it is myth. Some of it is poetry. Some of it is obsolete law.

WIth all the editing and copying over time, none of it is reliable either for accuracy or authenticity. If it contains what you see as 'truth' great. I see great human 'truths' in Shakespeare and Harry Potter. Doesn't mean they are literally true – nor the bible.

If it did, you would be stoning adulterers instead of letting them sit in the pews with you on Sunday and we would still own slaves.

November 30, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Smack

Russ, then why such an uproar in 1633 when the Catholic church went after Galileo for Heresy over suggesting the Sun was the center of the universe and the earth revolved around the sun. Your kind put him under house arrest for how long for stating the truth based on scientific observation.

November 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Russ

Smack.. sorry for the delay... my 5 year old needed someone to wipe her butt.... I am the official butt wiper in the family...

Actually I use the story of Galileo in my History class to show the dangers of church and state unity. Actually the Roman Church had accepted Aristotle's view of the universe as the only acceptable explanation. He was "sainted"... the church has done many extra-Biblical things... I

November 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • Russ

@ I'm not – check out the study of the dead sea scrolls that show how accurate the copies of the Bible have been.

November 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Russ,

that proves quite nicely that the old testament hasn't drastically changed since around the time of Roman Judean War in the first century BCE.

You can correct me if I have the date wrong, but I don't think they predate that point. I was talking about the centuries of editing up to that point – multiple authors, rewriting etc, as books of the Torah coalesced.

November 30, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
    • sqeptiq

If you accept something without a shred of evidence to back it up, you are nuts.

November 30, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Ooops – first century CE.

November 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • End Religion

Russ, I suppose it wouldn't matter to point out the sordid history of "seances," "mystics," "fortune tellers" and such? It's basically solely practiced as fraud. They can be very convincing. If you're interested Penn Jillette will talk about this from time to time. And there's Randi's million dollar challenge for any psychic to actually prove their ability. You were likely in a vulnerable state, they used common magic tricks and confidence scams to pull one over on you. Don't be embarrassed – these people can be very good at what the do. Penn and Teller have a show where they invite magicians to come fool them to win a spot in their Vega show and some DO fool P&T – and these guys have seen it all. So, even professional magicians can be deceived.

November 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
    • Sarah

I would like to thank Russ for taking time to express his beliefs. Personally, I had believed in the Bible until I read about Horus and realized people were writing stories about different Gods and good and evil long before the Bible. Why should one story be selected over another?

November 30, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
  3. Sarah

1. In the season of the Lord I shalt not fear the reaper, neither under the sun, nor the wind, nor the rain. I shalt live like He doth. Come on, mine babe! 2. This message of rock affirmation was brought unto thee by the adverb 'solemnly.'" -Adverbs 14:1-2

November 30, 2012 at 6:38 pm |

"Don't Fear the Reaper."

Needs more cowbell.

November 30, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • Bob

Hey, Sarah, let's play bible quotes. Here's some good ones:

Numbers 31:17-18
      17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man,
      18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Deuteronomy 13:6 – “If your brother, your mother’s son or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul entice you secretly, saying, let us go and serve other gods … you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death”

Revelations 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Leviticus 25
      44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.
      45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.
      46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

November 30, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Bob,

Sarah was quoting from the book of Adverbs.

November 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • End Religion

"Yabba Dabba Doo"
      – Fred Flintstone, early Creationist

November 30, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
  4. Sarah

"7. And the Lord did tell Abraham that in faith there existeth signs and numbers of which to be wary. For instance, know ye that the number six-six-six doth belong to the devil himself! 8. In grief, Abraham did ask the Lord what was His number. Sayeth the Lord: 'Why, the holy number, thusly, is seven-seven-seven. Lo! The devil hath fear of this number indeed! 9. For everyone knoweth six is afraid of seven because seven ate nine!' The Lord did laugh heartily, and it was good." -Numerology 6:7-9

November 30, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • sam

Much better.

November 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
    • End Religion

That joke hasn't gotten old yet. 🙂

November 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
  5. Stan

Science is for losers and suckers.

November 30, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • Cartman

Yeah, screw you guys, I'm going home.

November 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • sybaris

So you'll be selling your computer and praying away your disease.

November 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • sqeptiq

Yes, someday it might cure them of their afflictions.

November 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
  6. Sarah

Here is evidence that God was/is the creator:

"21. With each passing day in the Garden of Eden, the sun did shineth brilliantly and the warmth of the verdurous moss did comfort the feet of Adam and Eve. 22. Looking closely, however, it did appeareth thar was trouble in Paradise! 23. After Eve did bear the fruit of Adam's loins twice, with his sons Cain and Abel, she hath expressed to him no longer was there an interest for her in the intimate relations. The sinful cow hath dismissed her wifely duties! 24. After a great frustration, Adam did proclaim his divorce of her thereto! But suddenly the Lord's voice did boom from the Heavens, that this divorce hath become the Original Sin of mankind! 25. Nervous, Adam was, for committing this first of all sins, he did instruct his sons to go forth into the world and teacheth future generations that Original Sin hath come from their sinful mother, who disobeyed the Lord instead! Furthermore, the Lord's flock did always know this foretold reason as the Word, and it was good." -Segagenesis 5:21-25

November 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Are you kidding? That's not "evidence."

November 30, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • 420

What on earth are you smoking Sarah ??

November 30, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • Guess What

November 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
  7. Bob

And the bible is very clear that it's hokey dokey for you to own slaves, as long as they aren't from your own tribe. Just make sure you sacrifice a goat to keep nasty Christian god happy and bloody each day.

November 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

There is a good chance that the clothes you are wearing were made by someone who is virtually a slave in some third world country right here in 2012.

November 30, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

And the people who made that computer in front of you. Maybe not exactly slaves, but close to it.

November 30, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • Just a guy

Bob – you are full of hate – shame on you – and you did work on the holidays I mentioned??

November 30, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Just, are you that ignorant? Do you think that Christmas is a holiday because of religion? Nonsense. For most of history, Christmas had very little religious meaning. Look up the Christmas traditions in England in the 19th century-it wasn't about Christ's birth. It was quite secular.

As for Thanksgiving, it's not a religious holiday at all. Why don't you know that?

November 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
    • Stan

Slaves and goat sacrifices? Sounds like my kind of good time!

November 30, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • 420

lol @ BOB. Good one 🙂 Yeap wonder how many of these church going oh faithul ones, watched the news and saw that the garments they wore was most likely made in one of those deplorable garment factories that went up in flames in Bangladesh killing 100 plus people..

November 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

The Amish have it right. They just make their own stuff.

November 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • sam

RUMSPRINGA!

November 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • Bob

just a guy, explain where in my post I myself am being hateful. I'm merely presenting what your bible says. The bible is chock full of hate and bigotry.

Duck, ease off on the non sequiturs, K thanx.

November 30, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
  8. Frank

The Bible if studied correctly answers a lot of questions, and leaves a few unanswered.
    The Bible begins, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."

Period. That is it, then it reads, now the earth was without form and void, and his spirit moved apon the face of the waters.

So when God began shaping the earth, it was already made, and no timeline was given as to how long that took from point 1. to point 2.

Then it also says, it did these things in 6 days. Then you go to the new Testament and it is written, a day with God is as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as a day.

So that tells me, that God took 6,000 years to have this period of time to go by.

So we have two time periods, actual creation, and then you have 6000 of God shaping and molding his creation.

So there is no contradiction, there is no point where it says the earth is 6000 years old ONLY.

This is just people taking the text at face value without study, or tying the scriptures together. Because they dovetail and come together if read in context.

November 30, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • Bob

The bible is also very clear that it's hokey dokey for you to own slaves, as long as they aren't from your own tribe. Just make sure you sacrifice a goat to keep nasty Christian god happy and bloody each day.

November 30, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

And how does one "correctly" study the bible and how can you compare that to an "incorrect" study of the bible?

November 30, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • Frank

Same way you study anything, with an open mind, and reading it from beginning to end.
      Not just taking random verses and applying them out of context.

November 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • CP in FL

The bible is a collection of fairy tales written by man and that have about the same chance of being real as the Easter Bunny.

November 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
    • Frank

Bob from reading your posts, you clearly have issues with believers and Christians and probably religion of any kind.
      You are clearly not looking for meaningful dialogue, but an argument.
      With that, I bid you a good day.

November 30, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Is it possible to correctly read the bible without presupposing the existence of a Christian god as being true?

November 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • sybaris

There goes Frank and his circular logic.

C'mon Frank, grow up.

November 30, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • sam

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

November 30, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • Smack

Genesis also states that the earth is stationary and the sun revolves around the earth.

This is the point at which you can stop reading because its a complete inaccurate failure. Can you imagine reading a science book that starts out stating that babies come from storks.

November 30, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • Bob

Frank, in other words, you lack the courage to follow up on your "arguments" and have cut and run. You are merely a coward.

November 30, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Russ

Frank, Bob's claims are easily found in the bible. No wonder you won't stay and debate; you have nothing of subtance to counter with.

November 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • End Religion

November 30, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • End Religion

1) God is satisfied with his works – Gen 1:31
      God is dissatisfied with his works. – Gen 6:6
      2) God dwells in chosen temples – 2 Chron 7:12,16
      God dwells not in temples – Acts 7:48
      3) God dwells in light – Tim 6:16
      God dwells in darkness – 1 Kings 8:12/ Ps 18:11/ Ps 97:2
      4) God is seen and heard – Ex 33:23/ Ex 33:11/ Gen 3:9,10/ Gen 32:30/ Is 6:1/ Ex 24:9-11
      God is invisible and cannot be heard – John 1:18/ John 5:37/ Ex 33:20/ 1 Tim 6:16
      5) God is tired and rests – Ex 31:17
      God is never tired and never rests – Is 40:28

November 30, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • TR6

I would expect an omniscient, omnipotent being would know the difference between 1 day and 6000 years and to be able to use the correct one when constructing a sentence.

December 1, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  9. Just a guy

OK – last time for you non believers – you know what this blog is about – yes you have the right to opine – but why do you if this is offensive to you and you don't agree with believers and their right to believe?? I am not intolerant of your right not to believe – so why are you so-called enlightened people intolerant of my beliefs? I am not trying to force my beliefs on you. I guess that means you worked on Christmas Day, Good Friday, Thanksgiving as you don't want anyone forcing their Christian holidays on you?? If I believe that you WILL BELIEVE one day (in this life or the next)- why does that offend you and push your hot button? Its my RIGHT to believe this – isn't it? I can get over you not being a believer – why can YOU not get over me being a believer?

November 30, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Bob

Jag, it's because stupid believers like you get to vote and impact the rules I have to live by.

November 30, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • Bob

And BTW your post gives lie to its own claims.

November 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I have no problem with your beliefs, Just. You can believe whatever you want. But when you attempt to use your beliefs as the grounds for abrogating the rights of others, you earn my scorn.

Why aren't more of you believers buying shoes and socks for the homeless like the cop in NYC? Why is it you have to stick your nose in others' business instead of investing your time and energy in helping the poor, comforting the sick, and feeding the hungry? Isn't that what your Christ told you to spend your time doing? I don't think he EVER said you should force anyone else to do as you think they should.

November 30, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • CP in FL

Most of the time it is the religious people trying to force their point of view on us non believers. You people try to rewrite science books in order to make them fit your fairy tales. There are too many examples to list. You cannot buy beer in Florida until after 1:00 PM or some stupid sh!t like that. Would this offend your non-existent god? You are free to believe whatever nonsense you wish, just do not try and force any rational thinking person to believe that crap.

November 30, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • Jennifer D Small

By the way: Thanksgiving isn't a Christian holiday.... http://hnn.us/articles/406.html

November 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
    • BECAUSE

..its like telling a 7 yr old that Santa claus doesn't exist but even after growing up still refuses to accept the fact that the toys they dearly love didn't fall from the sky but were made by little kids in sweat shops in China.

November 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
    • ICE DINO

@Just a guy

Thanksgiving is and always has been a non-secular holiday.

November 30, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • Guy

Tom Tom TPS
      Check out p. 38, the Chad has been nibbling.

November 30, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"so why are you so-called enlightened people intolerant of my beliefs?"

Beliefs to not deserve automatic toleration, I am intolerant of many people's beliefs and rightfully so.

November 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • sybaris

" I am not trying to force my beliefs on you."

Bibles in every motel room

God on our money

Prayer before public events

Christian cable networks 24/7

Discounts on insurance for being christian

Churches every 6 blocks in every city over 100,000

Christian bookstores in every town over 12,000

God in the Pledge of Allegiance

Televangelists 24/7

Christian billboards along the highway advertising Vacation Bible School and “repent or go to He.ll”

Federally recognized Christian holiday

Radioevangelists 24/7

Religious organizations are tax free

75% of the population claims to be Christian

National day of prayer

God in the National Anthem

Weekday Christian Education for elementary students.

Say what?

November 30, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • sqeptiq

Tolerance of ignorance is not a virtue.

November 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • Damocles

@just

Look, I don't care what your belief is. If you want to believe in a deity, a bunny, a blade of grass or a rock, I could care less. What I do care about is what believers do in the name of their belief. When they hide behind their faith as a reason to hate, when they try to twist their beliefs to make them more palatable, when they try to hijack science into conforming with their beliefs.

If you want to believe that you go to a magical, shiny place when you die, fantastic, whatever gets you through the day. I choose to focus on the life that I actually have.

November 30, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • Dippy

Couldn't care less.

November 30, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • End Religion

JustAGit: your post perfectly illustrated what's wrong with religion. Left to its own devices it will continue its insidious spread into everything. You do not own Thanksgiving; never have, never will.

November 30, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • Pete

You can force as many paid days off work on me as you would like, I don't have to believe in your god to enjoy a paid holiday.

December 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  10. HOLYNUMBNUTS

RELIGION = The ultimate psychological WMD every invented.

November 30, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
  11. Salero21

When it happened is not as important as the Fact that it did happen. God spoke it and BANG it happen!

One Fact remains unchanged, it takes a male and female of the human specie and almost all other species to procreate. And it was God who created them Male and Female. So if you're reading this, is because it took a man and a woman (male and female), for you to be here. That was God's idea and nobody else! Of course I know some may believe they are the product of a mix of species. Like an ape and a human.

November 30, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
    • Jessica

LOL, Prove it!

You can't!

November 30, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I never cease to be amazed at the stupidity of fundies like you, Sally.

November 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
    • Sarah

Let me get this straight . . . because it takes a human male and a human female to create a human baby . . . that, in itself, is proof that God exists?

November 30, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Salero seems to be under the misapprehension that the only reason for marriage is procreation. What a doofus.

November 30, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • Salero21

And of course there are millions who really, really act, behave and conduct themselves, like if they really are the offspring of some ape like creatures. Others, also numbering in the millions do act, behave and conduct themselves worst than apes. That's why we have to have Police, jails and prisons. Others, especially the self-proclaimed "atheists" are so rabid, that it should make anyone wonder, if they are descendants of the canine specie. Like the fable of Romulus and Remus. Just saying! 😉

November 30, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I guess you are really just a moron, Salero.

November 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • Salero21

There are some who have taken this perverted beliefs of evolution, so seriously. That they cannot tell the difference between their pets and their children. They'll probably feed their babies to their dogs. They risk life and limb to save a pet or other animals. Others, hopefully a few, have gone further yet as far as practicing bestialism. And of course there are millions in the US of A alone, that value more the life of animals and pets than the life of people, even the lives of their children. Build more prisons, because these are capable of worst things yet.

But that is what perverted beliefs produce.

November 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Salero=poe. No one is that stupid.

November 30, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • Salero21

My prayer for the "atheists" whom the Scriptures calls Fools, is that God our Heavenly Father will help them to develop, mature and progress enough, so that they can evolve to the next higher Level above the apes. Because as it is, theirs refusal to have even a little religion places them at or below the level of apes.

Religion is one of many things that differenciates and separates us from animals. Animals do have rituals and routines but not religion. Only Human beings have religion. Therefore the "atheist = fool" has not evolve enough, as to place himself above the apes, whom he believes are his ancestors. We however are the descendants of Adam & Eve the first man and the first woman. Who were Created by God as Male and Female.

November 30, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • sam

Holy crow, Salero, that is some cray cray BS.

November 30, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It just cracks me up to read Salero's pidgin English diatribes about atheists being nothing more than apes, when the dolt can't string together even one grammatically correct sentence.

Comedy gold, I tell you.

November 30, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Smack

So how do you explain that it took a male and female to procreate before the supposed Adam and Eve. How is it that death was created by their sin, yet Death existed for millions and millions of years before Adam and Eve.

Then you have Gods wrath upon women because of Eve. Based on her sin, all woman now have to suffer pain from childbirth. If he's so loving then why would he make women suffer for all eternity. Seems pretty vicious, revengeful and pitiful to me. He supposedly gives the miracle of birth (even though birth existed for millions of years ) and then makes it painful to make women suffer.

November 30, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • sqeptiq

There is, in fact, one unchanged fact: You, Salero, are logically challenged.

November 30, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
    • End Religion

I'm waiting for "ex catholic" to post in support of salero and congratulate him. Or did you give that up, salero?

November 30, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
  12. jill

If he still won't release his 609's, it's probably still just reduction. He's just being lively in a comatose kind of way.

November 30, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
    • Russ

Is the 609 a tax form? What are you saying?

November 30, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  13. Ran

Religion is the biggest scam ever perpetrated. Religions take your money on the promise of a reward that you can only receive after you die. Its the best sales scam in the universe. If there was a devil, he could only marvel at the brilliance of it all.

November 30, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • CP in FL

These are my thoughts exactly. I think the only reason why a majority of people believe the religious nonsense if because they have been brainwashed since birth to believe this crap.

November 30, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
  14. looknclick

Let's see what Curiosity found on Mars before drawing any conclusions.

November 30, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • Jessica

Part of an ancient AmEX card, Don't leave Mars without it...

November 30, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

Lots of speculation that there is some evidence for some basic life form. The question then might be - Does Martian moss have a soul?

November 30, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Jessica

@Orygun Duck, Err... Does Earth moss have a soul?

November 30, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

Jessica , Not sure about Earth moss but a pantheist viewpoint would see God in everything. So I'm not sure that finding life on Mars would be such a big deal anyway. Some scientists speculate that there are lots of planets with life out there. Even that does not change the question about God the creator.

November 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Do you REALLY think that intelligent life on other planets recognizes the same imaginary god Earth's believers do?

How ridiculous. If people of one planet can't even agree, what's the likelihood that beings on another planet would share the same beliefs anyone here has?

November 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • End Religion

Curiosity found "my other sock". All this time I thought the dryer was eating them.

November 30, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
  15. Wholly Mary

Hope his timetable is at an end.

November 30, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
  16. FreddyCanuck

Just an outside observation, but it seems to me that America is more divided along political lines now than before the civil war. There is such a depth to the vitrol that goes back and forth between republicans and democrats that it just doesn't seem possible the two sides will ever agree on anything substantial.

And as for the division between rich and poor, the best comparison would be France before their revolution. You guys have some serious issues that need tackling and I don't believe it is possible to resolve them without working together.

November 30, 2012 at 5:56 pm |
    • sam

Once the GOP wises up and distances themselves from the fundamentalists again, things should simmer down a bit as far as the rhetoric between parties.

November 30, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • Sue

Have to say, I very much agree with Sam. I look forward to the day that there is no more religion in politics, or at least no more fundamentalism.

November 30, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
    • sybaris

" it seems to me that America is more divided along political lines now than before the civil war."

Dude, did you jump in your magic phone booth and travel back to 1860?

November 30, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • Jessica

Sam & Sue have hit the nail on it's head. Since the early 80's the religious nuts have taken over the GOP. While I do see some hope I doubt we will see any real change in the GOP until they get another presidential beat down in 2016.

November 30, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  17. Atheist Forever

People like this are why we have someone like Sarah Palin running for the white house. Scary stuff.

November 30, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • FreddyCanuck

If these people want to act like it's 33 AD, why not stone Palin to death? If you're going to live in complete ignorance, go all the way, I say.

November 30, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
  18. mary

If 46% really is our 'rate of stupidity' it will not be long before many 3rd world countries surpass us .
    Can't fix stupid , plus it is people's right in this country .

November 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • joseph

maybe more than 46 percent by this hour.

November 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • sqeptiq

You can't fix it but you can stun it with a two-by-four.

November 30, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
  19. John

It's really sad to see adults with a mind of a 5 year old. What's really tragic is that some of the religous nuts will not hesitate to take up to arms and kill people who are not like them and/or believe in a different version of sky daddies.

November 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • joseph

they don't have a mind of five old, they retards

November 30, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

When did this happen?? Must have missed it.

November 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • HOLYNUMBNUTS

RELIGION = The ultimate psychological WMD ever invented by man.

November 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
    • sybaris

Orygun Duck, you didn't miss it unless you slept through the Iraq war.

Why did Bush use the military to invade Iraq and murder tens of thousands of innocent civilians?

Because he believed his god told him it was the right thing to do.

November 30, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
  20. Atheist Forever

Say the atheist to his Christian neighbor.....

"So let me get this straight, you have two-way conversations with invisible spirits, you think the earth is 10,000 years old, you believe the world was once covered in water (about 5,000 years ago), you believe your invisible sky father came to earth in human form after a virgin birth, then rose as a zombie, from the dead, then ascended into an invisible sky city.....all because the first people on earth ate and apple before proceeding on with decades of incest....am I getting this?"

November 30, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • joseph

THEY JUST DON'T GET IT. THEY ARE A BUNCH OF FOOLS. THEY BELIEVE IN FAIRY TALE

November 30, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
    • Orygun Duck

And I sasid to the atheist - " Let me get this straight, out of nothing or maybe something very small like a tennis ball, the universe just blew itself up and somehow we evolved from some primordial amino acid in a tidepool. And those good feelings you feel are just some biochemical response in your brain. Thank you for clarifying."

November 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • oh look, it's herbie/chad/just sayin/pervert alert/etc etc etc..........

OBVIOUS TROLL MORON
      CANT HELP BEING OBVIOUS.
      ugly dimwit fails at internet!

November 30, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • Christmas J

Only a fool says in their heart, that there is no God!

November 30, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • Stan

You are all stupid.

November 30, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • sybaris

and I said to the christard, "You don't believe in the big bang theory but you believe your god created the universe out of nothing. Thanks for clarifying."

November 30, 2012 at 7:01 pm |