home
RSS
December 14th, 2012

Massacre of children leaves many asking, 'Where’s God?'

By Dan Gilgoff and Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editors

(CNN) – As he waited with parents who feared that their kids were among the 20 children killed at a Connecticut elementary school on Friday, Rabbi Shaul Praver said the main thing he could do for parents was to merely be present.

“It’s a terrible thing, families waiting to find out if their children made it out alive,” said Praver, who leads a synagogue in Newtown, Connecticut, and was among nine clergy gathered with parents at a firehouse near Sandy Hook Elementary School, where the shooting occurred.

“They’re going to need a lot of help,” Praver said of those who are close to the dead.

From the first moments after Friday’s massacre, which also left six adults and the shooter dead, religious leaders were among the first people to whom worried and grieving families turned for help.

Over the weekend, countless more Americans will look to clergy as they struggle to process a tragedy in which so many of the victims were children.

“Every single person who is watching the news today is asking ‘Where is God when this happens?’” says Max Lucado, a prominent Christian pastor and author based in San Antonio.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Lucado says that pastors everywhere will be scrapping their scheduled Sunday sermons to address the massacre.

“You have to address it - you have to turn everything you had planned upside down on Friday because that’s where people’s hearts are,” Lucado says.

“The challenge here is to avoid the extremes – those who say there are easy answers and those who say there are no answers.”

Indeed, many religious leaders on Friday stressed that the important thing is for clergy to support those who are suffering, not to rush into theological questions. A University of Connecticut professor on Friday hung up the phone when asked to discuss religious responses to suffering, saying, “This is an immense tragedy, and you want an academic speculating on the problem of evil?”

“There is no good answer at that time that anyone can hear and comprehend and take in,” said Ian T. Douglas, the bishop for the Episcopal diocese of Connecticut, referring to counseling family and friends of the dead. “They’re crying out from a place of deep pain.”

Praver, the rabbi, will join a memorial service Friday night at Newtown’s St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church.

“We’re going to have a moment of prayer for the victims,” Praver said of the service. “We cannot let it crush our spirit and we march on.”

Some national religious groups are also sending staff to Newtown, with 10 chaplains dispatched from the North Carolina-based Billy Graham Evangelistic Association on Friday.

Public officials including President Obama, meanwhile, turned to the Bible in responding to the shooting. “In the words of Scripture, 'heal the brokenhearted and bind up their wounds,' ” Obama said from the White House, citing the book of Psalms.

On Twitter, #PrayForNewton became a trending topic.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Some religious leaders argue that modern American life insulates much of the nation from the kind of senseless death and suffering that plagues much of the world every day.

“Most of the world, for most of the world’s history, has known tragedy and trauma in abundance,” wrote Rob Brendle, a Colorado pastor, in a commentary for CNN’s Belief Blog after this summer’s deadly shooting in Aurora, Colorado, which left 12 dead.

“You don’t get nearly the same consternation in Burundi or Burma, because suffering is normal to there,” wrote Brendle, who pastored congregants after a deadly shooting at his church five years ago. “For us, though, God has become anesthetist-in-chief. To believe in him is to be excused from bad things.”

My Take: This is where God was in Aurora

Lucado said there was an eerie irony for the Connecticut tragedy coming just before Christmas, noting the Bible says that Jesus Christ’s birth was followed by an order from King Herod to slay boys under 2 in the Roman city of Bethlehem.

“The Christmas story is that Jesus was born into a dark and impoverished world,” Lucado says. “His survival was surrounded by violence. The real Christmas story was pretty rough.”

Many religious leaders framed Friday’s shooting as evidence for evil in the world and for human free will in the face of a sovereign God.

“The Bible tells us the human heart is ‘wicked’ and ‘who can know it?’” the Rev. Franklin Graham said in a statement about the massacre. “My heart aches for the victims, their families and the entire community.”

Many religious leaders also said that such tragedies are a good time for lay people to express doubts about God – or anger.

“This is a time to go deep and pray,” says Lucado. “If you have a problem with God, shake a fist or two at him. If he’s God, he’s going to answer. And if he’s in control, he’ll find a way to let you know.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • God • Uncategorized

soundoff (9,195 Responses)
  1. john

god was right there it was religion that wasnt.

December 16, 2012 at 3:49 am |
  2. no name

no one will help us until we stop any one have guns so .WE NEED TO STOP GUNS IN USA.

December 16, 2012 at 3:38 am |
  3. Deacon Priest

There is no God...I have first hand knowledge of this subject, my beautiful, giving and kind wife suffering and then dying of cancer is enough proof for me that this concept of god is nothing but a big fabrication.

December 16, 2012 at 3:37 am |
    • Patriot888

My dear uncle in Oklahoma died of cancer too.... I'm sorry for your loss.

December 16, 2012 at 3:51 am |
    • James

I am sorry for your loss. As a Christian, i do believe there are answers to your questions, but I can certainly understand your doubt. Search and ye will find. Again, my condolences for your loss.

December 16, 2012 at 4:22 am |
  4. Pretzelogic

Athiests are not on trial here because they never made any promises of eternal life. The bible pontificates about eternal life if you adhere to it's teachings. As a born Roman Catholic, it took me until my adulthood to realize that the bible is a fake because no innocent child is born a sinner, and if you thank God for all good things, then God would have to assume responsibility for not being able to prevent such tragedies.

December 16, 2012 at 3:32 am |
    • realbuckyball

Actually, if you study the Old Testament, the Hebrews had no conception on life after death. They did not believe in it at all, for most people. There were a few, (like Ezekiel) who were "raised" to "immortal" status, (much as Babe Ruth has "immortal status" in baseball), but only LATE in the OT, when the martyrs in the Maccabean period were also granted immortal status for dying for their cause, did the concept become wide spread. (Remember Genesis says "for dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return"). In the NT, this continued, and even Paul thought only the saved were granted immortality. The business of "hell" and all that nonsense is really a much later over-lay.

December 16, 2012 at 3:47 am |
  5. Patriot888

When it's their family member things shouldn't change then. If you believe there is no God then there is no right or wrong. If you don't believe in God, don't believe in right.or wrong. If someone ever murders your family member don't go seeking justice then because everything is meaningless and as they in science: relative. Don't go crying to the cops or judges or the president because according to you there is no right or wrong. There is no law.

December 16, 2012 at 3:25 am |
    • Rolph

That is a straw man fallacy. It's and insta-fail in a debate. You don't get to define what we believe.

Right and wrong is easily determined for secular people. Right benefits people. Wrong hurts or damages or inhibits people. A code of law develops based on that, and refines with experience. I have just described the American legal system. Indeed, most of the laws and codes you follow are not religious or biblical at all. They are secular. Indeed, most of the laws in ancient scriptures likethe Bible are horrific and monstrous.

December 16, 2012 at 3:35 am |
    • Know What

Patriot888,

If the only thing that keeps you from being a mass murderer is your old Middle Eastern Hebrew desert war god, I guess you'd better stick with that book.

December 16, 2012 at 3:41 am |
    • Crewman

@ Rolph: Your objection to the problem of relativism, and subsequent explanation of how morality works in a purely secular environment, is similarly a straw man argument. You use the word "benefit" as if it had some objective meaning. What do you mean by "benefit", and whom exactly does something that is "right" benefit? Everyone? Perhaps the shooter could claim that his actions were benefiting himself, so by your argument, was he doing the right thing for himself? What is your criteria for deciding what is beneficial for someone? At some point, if there is something that is right or wrong, then there has to be a criteria for that which exists outside of and above ourselves, and which we adhere to. Finding such a criteria in a purely secular world is difficult, because by your own belief, nothing exists outside of ourselves.

December 16, 2012 at 3:45 am |
    • Patriot888

What keeps you from being a mass murderer?..ask yourself that question my friend! ....I would gladly give my life to save yours or your family members regardless of what you believe.

December 16, 2012 at 3:46 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Ummmm no, right and wrong and laws are not dependent on your god, if that was the case than slavery would be A-OK....it's not.

December 16, 2012 at 3:48 am |
    • Patriot888

Crewman: Hey you lost me on that one just like I lost you on my post.... Ha lol... Like they say English my friend lol

December 16, 2012 at 3:49 am |
    • realbuckyball

Such crap. How many people do you actually need to kill, then Patriot ? Now me, I already killed everyone I need to. So you're saying the only reason you don't commit mass murder is because your fairy in the sky might punish you ?
      What a joke. How infantile.

December 16, 2012 at 3:49 am |
    • Patriot888

Buckyball.... What are you talking about? It's wrong to kill people whether you believe in God or not. Grow up

December 16, 2012 at 3:58 am |
    • Rolph

@Crewman – I cannot possibly be making a strawman fallacy, for I never represented what the other side's position was, much less misrepresented it.

As to the rest, sigh, the shooter is causing harm. Any discussion of benefit is silly. Even if you wanted to weigh things, the harm suffered by so many really cannot have any counterbalancing benefit unless it is a major societal event like a just war (and even then, only in the right circumstances).

Finding such criterion is easy and natural for secular people, which is why secular countries like most of Western Europe have such low crime (far lower than the Bible Belt).

As to Patriot, what would stop me from being a mass murderer? Wow, are youreally suggesting that if it were not for god, you woould start slaughtering? Funny how they don't do that in the secular countries of Western Europe. I do not for many positive and negative reasons. Humans are social animals, and do not like to hurt others. I get numerous benefits from being kind and helpful, and I get numerous difficulties and reprisals for being harmful. If I kill, I must live in fear of revenge, on me or a loved one. I must live in fear of punishment. And I really get nothing I want from killing people. And I am not a killer.

Nothing religious there, just basic sociology. No god necessary. And it works, now, here in ther real world.

Now ask if belief in god prevents anything. The answer is no. Many many studies have shown conclusively that the more religious a region or country is, the more major crime. Atheists are incredibly rare in prison, far below their percentage of the beneral population.

Sorry, but secular systens of right and wrong function just fine, and religion does not make anything safer.

But if you are so far on the edge that you need religion to keep from killing kindergarteners, then stay religious. But I don't believe that, and neither do you.

December 16, 2012 at 4:18 am |
  6. Austin

For those who wish to open their mind to material/physical evidence of God – please read/view Amit Goswami's Quantum Activist. http://www.amitgoswami.org/

December 16, 2012 at 3:24 am |
  7. Kenny Wright

Religion breeds ignorance. This statement holds true thoughout history and will continue in the future. As humans most of us have a deep rooted sense of spirituality, meaning we believe in some devine creator or a god. Religion is mans control of men. Religion puts a name on god. Religion gives you answers because you cant understand the truth. Religion brings us hate, war, and fear. I believe there is a god, I do not know his name, seen of felt his presense, nor haven any communication with. So if you believe that you have some super-buddy in the sky and it helps you get through in life i say pray your heart out add give your money to the men that claim they are closer to him, but please let your children grow with an open mind and form their own opinion on life, I dont want them killing me or my kids.

December 16, 2012 at 3:20 am |
  8. Sully

God isnt allowed in schools.

December 16, 2012 at 3:19 am |
    • Tully

So he sends in a killer to slaughter children.

December 16, 2012 at 3:37 am |
  9. Just sayin'

Same place god always is...in your imagination.

December 16, 2012 at 3:17 am |
  10. Jason

all the good things dont come ONLY to those who God has chosen. YOu go to work and do a good Job? you get paid! yes .. its not a miracle .. its just how it works! if you are a good person and do good.. you'll receive good! not because just God sent it, but because you're living under a principle! if you do good to others! you will receive good things!.. thats why I said.. what you sow, thats what you will reap!.. I know people who dont believe in God, but their good people and do good and live a good life! they decided to sow good in this world and thats what they will receive!

December 16, 2012 at 3:16 am |
    • DougNJ

That sounds like karma, 'What goes around, comes around'.

December 16, 2012 at 3:28 am |
  11. Albert Mendonca

God should also be asking – Where have you been?

December 16, 2012 at 3:11 am |
    • Patriot888

So true..... We don't find him he finds us. We were lost!

December 16, 2012 at 3:15 am |
    • tallulah13

I suspect that many of the children murdered went to church and Sunday school and believed when they were told that Jesus loved them. Therefore, the correct question is where was your god when those children were being slaughtered?

I guess your god just didn't care. Or maybe he cared, but was too weak to stop it. Or maybe he just doesn't exist.

December 16, 2012 at 3:45 am |
  12. Patriot888

The way I see it is that this is just part of the bigger picture that many will fail to see. They will push for gun bans. You know fuel for the antigunners. We will go from a country to a police state. The globalist will think they have gotten their way. America will be out of the way and we will roll right along with things that those who believe know will speed things up leading to the end. What's to worry about.

December 16, 2012 at 3:09 am |
    • the AnViL

we have to push hard for new measures in earlier detection and better understanding of mental illnesses.

banning guns won't work – it's a childish response.

December 16, 2012 at 3:16 am |
    • Patriot888

I'm not anti gun. I'm all for law abiding citizens owning them.

December 16, 2012 at 3:28 am |
    • Plava

In China the same day as this tragedy occured, a man went in a school with a knife and attacked 22 children. None died. In Connecticutt, 26 people were attacked – they died.

Guns do change the outcome. They definitely increase the body count.

I am ambivalent on the gun thing. On the one hand, I do not think freedoms should be given up (and we have lost a LOT recently – thanks W). On the other hand, I grew up in a shooting family, went to many gun shows and on many hunts, and I know from experience that a great many gun owners have some very unhealthy ideas about guns and shooting people, and really are exactly the kind of creeps who should NOT own guns.

So I'll continue going with freedom, but I am really unimpressed with a sizable number of gun owners.

December 16, 2012 at 3:30 am |
    • tallulah13

I am not anti-gun. However, I believe the Americans who are most obsessed with guns are far too immature to be allowed to possess guns. Anyone who is more concerned with keeping their as.sault weapon than they are with the sheer volume of gun deaths in this country has their priorities really messed up.

December 16, 2012 at 3:52 am |
  13. craig

Where's God? It's simple. Assuming "HE" exists at all, he's wherever he wants to be, watching us act like idiots. That "supposedly" loving God is perfectly happy to watch us kill each other. Why? Well, obviously because he doesn't actually care enough to stop it. Common sense would suggest that either he doesn't really exist, or he's not what you've been told he is. Your choice, but don't blame him.

December 16, 2012 at 3:08 am |
    • CJ Canada

Thank you. If God does exist (this all powerful attention seeker) he's a joke. I don't believe in "god" but I can't disprove him. All common sense and information leans toward him not existing. I believe in energy and forces, sadly as humans we know the square root of fack all about the universe, so we made up "stories and creators" to explain things. These shootings are a disgrace to our species and the thing that I just can't grasp>>>>> how does everyone pray to this all powerful "God" that does fack all and allows children to get slaughtered. If "god" works in mysterious ways, he's a lost cause and we are better without his BS, People need to quite praying and look in a mirror. WAKE UP PEOPLE IT'S 2012, the world isn't flat and the world isn't 4000 years old. It's BS like this shooting that really makes us humans look like the most retarded life forms in existence. Greed drives us, and will destroy us. End of rant.

December 16, 2012 at 3:27 am |
  14. Bryan Kirchoff

Atheists will often ask, in the face of tragedy, the exact headline posed here: "Where is God in a tragedy like this?" As Dinesh D'Souza astutely retorts "Well, where is atheism?" Is there a flock of atheists counselors headed to Newtown to reassuringly explain to people that the meaningless compilations of chemicals at the school were the victims of random chance and simply extinguished into non-existence? What would the atheists on this board say if they were face-to-face with the parents of the victims?

Bryan Kirchoff
    St. Louis

December 16, 2012 at 3:06 am |
    • Ernie Fretlander

Atheists NEVER ask that, you blithering noncompoop! Only religious people would ask that.

Do you ask "Where was Zeus?" Of course not. Because you don't ask questions like that about things you don't believe in.

December 16, 2012 at 3:11 am |
    • Alvin

I have been through a couple errible losses, and I will tell you that without a doubt, the religious people who show up and say it was God's will (like that helps) and "they are in a better place" (which is stunningly unsatisfying) and 'they are happy in the arms of the lord" (I guess Jesus called and told them that) were absolutely the most unbearable people imaginable. They kept pushing these terrible unsatisfying cliches and thinking they were being helpful when they were being a pain in a terrible moment.

And they always wanted you to pray with them, or they wanted to make you do some ritual.

A couple tried to convert a corpse in a coffin. I'm not joking.

I've got news for you: unless those parents are very religious, the Christians swarming in to play god are doing more harm than they know.

And I know a devout Catholic who felt the same way about them when her mother died. They were such pests that after one holier-than-thou suggested her mother could well be in hell, told them to fuck of and get out.

December 16, 2012 at 3:18 am |
    • the AnViL

only those who wish to inject provocative topics into discourse for the purposes of making money or eliciting an emotional response ask "where is god?".

atheists (for the most part) understand that there are precisely zero gods.

you should be ashamed to be so ignorant, bryan.

December 16, 2012 at 3:20 am |
  15. Jason

it's sad how people go questioning God and blaming God for everything, when they dont even see the big picture. How can any human being question the existence of someone higher than us! when we barely know ourselves, we dont know where we came from and where we are going! nobody is perfect and nobody knows it all, so how can you know for sure what is and what isnt! we barely know the planets that are so close to us, yet, people think they know all the universe!

Yes, you can say "OH why God didnt save these children". Yes, its hard to hear what happened, but we cant blame God for this. IF you are a parent and your kid falls or breaks something.. is it your fault? you teach him and try to raise a good person, but every human in this world make their own decision on what or what not to do... GOd do not push people to do what he says! he tells us whats good and what is not! it's up to you to follow and listen.

This horrible massacre happened, not because God allowed it, but because the hand of a sinner just like us let his own mind drive him to do something so horrifying.. he was once just like one of those kids! innocent and beautiful, but this world corrupts and deceives people... people who once were innocent could become murders and whatnot. So Dont blame GOD!.. we all have a choice. Dont come here insulting people and their believes, because your sowing hate and anger in others and then you will reap what you sowed! so then, dont come asking why horrible things happen in this world!

December 16, 2012 at 2:57 am |
    • Christians are so wearisome and twisted

Why is it that every tenth poster on this story is stupid enough to think that it is the atheists who aks "where is god?" Obviously it is the Christians! Are you really that freaking clueless?

You are saying the shooter chose to be insane? Bullshit.

December 16, 2012 at 3:02 am |
    • Patriot888

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. I almost don't want to blog anymore. True true

December 16, 2012 at 3:03 am |
    • Truman

God is not responsible for the bad things, nor will he stop them. Free will would be affected, and free will is too important to his plan.

God is responsible for the good things. He performs miracles and grants special wishes and allows wonders to occur to his chosen ones. Free will is affected, but it's suddenly not important any more.

Free will: god's relative morality

December 16, 2012 at 3:09 am |
    • Jason

No Sir, I am not clueless. I was talking to all those people who dont believe that there is no God (if you read the comments, many people commented saying GOD DOESNT EXIST, as a fact). That was MY FIRST STATEMENT! I just think its absurd for any person on this world to say there is no GOD!.. So yes, the first paragraph of my comment was for all those who do not believe....the rest of my comment was for those believers who might think its Gods fault! and wonder why he didnt do anything!

December 16, 2012 at 3:11 am |
    • Jason

December 16, 2012 at 3:17 am |
    • Alvin

Muslims say the exacty same thing about Allah. Ancient Greeks said the same thing about Athena. Just believe and the proof will be there.

It's all your imagination.

December 16, 2012 at 3:22 am |
    • the AnViL

jason – i realize this is a blow to you – but it is an established fact that there are no gods.

you are not thinking clearly.

December 16, 2012 at 3:25 am |
    • Jason

Avin, everyone has their own true! the easy thing for us is that we live by faith! faith that there is a God and that there is more than this horrible world!... now for you.. it isnt that easy.. because you have to live by facts! evidence!.. how can you prove that there is no God.. how can you prove where we come from? how can you prove you know where we're going after we die? how can you prove and answer all the questions that we, humans live with every single day of our existence! give me the evidence that this is JUST US on this planet and thats it!.. NOT EVEN with all the technology we have, we cant even prove that there is/isnt life in other planets! and now u have the guts to come and say Hey God's just in your imagination?

I BElieve there is a God and there is something more.. to you this belief is just imagination.. and like Rick Warren said "We're both betting. He's betting his life that he's right, that there is no God. I'm betting my life that Jesus was not a liar. When we die, if he's right, I've lost nothing. If I'm right, he's lost everything. I'm not willing to make that gamble."

December 16, 2012 at 3:35 am |
    • Alvin

No. The Bible clearly says that the belief in any other version of God will put you in hell. The Quran says the same thing. They cannot both be true. All scriptures deny belief in other gods (polytheism will allow new gods in general, but they must be subservient to the existing gods, which is unacceptable to the new religion).

They cannot all be the same. Their doctrines are too different and incompatible. If there is one god, it either is of one of the religions, and all others are doomed, or it is of no religion, in which case everything you have ever been taught is invalid.

Your's is a nice thought, but it fails logically. Sorry.

December 16, 2012 at 3:44 am |
    • DougNJ

Jason and Truman keep in mind that the always was and will be, omnipotent, all-knowing god knew of all this before there even was an earth. And so often I hear about god's plan for each of us. Well that pretty much makes all of your actions predestined and NOT of free-will. You feel as if you had free will to pick a spouse and have kids together, but if your free-will coupled you with another, why that would throw off god's plan for the kid you were supposed to have had with another. You would be defying the living god's plan.

December 16, 2012 at 3:46 am |
    • Rolph

Rick Warren was plagiarizing Pascal's Wager, which has been thoroughly debunked on many levels. Rick Warren (what a scumbag) loses his bet if A. there is no god B. God is Allah C. God is hindu D. God is Quetzlcoatl E. God is Thor. F. God is Zeus, and so on. And it means that he is choosing obdeience under duress, which makes his god evil for creating duress.

There's a lot more, but needless to say, Pascal's wager is a flop. It is the selling of fear. It is terrorism.

December 16, 2012 at 3:49 am |
    • Jason

I did not state that they are all the same God or the same truth! I said EVERYONE has their OWN true, which they deeply believe in and clench to And I respect others peoples believes! Thats why I dont think people should go pushing the gospel into others and go telling people their going to hell and that whatever they believe in is wrong because we all have our own belief and our own true! thats why Im not telling you that you're going to hell for not believing because Im nobody to judge you or others!

now if you ask me why I think its being arrogant to say that there is no God... well because of the simple fact that there is no way of knowing for sure. like I said you live by facts! and there is no way of proving otherwise... other than human reasoning which isnt at all perfect... one day you believe the earth is flat.. the next you find out its round!... one day you believe there is nothing faster than light... the next you learn something different and so on... we aint perfect and we dont know it all!

December 16, 2012 at 3:53 am |
    • Larry

Uh, Doug? Free will is the only reason Christians ever give for why God does not intervene and stop atrocities. If the slaughter of 20 kindergarteners is his plan, he is a monster. He is evil. He is unworthy of love or worship. That is why Christians keep insisting on free will: it give their god an excuse for not showing up when any all-loving deity would definitely show up and stop it. Free will is their cop-out,a nd they will twist and spin to tell you that everyone has free will, including insane people, victims, people with birth defects, people with diseases, people in natural disasters, innocents in wars – if they don't have this free will, then God is a monster. But of course, nobody has free will as they define it.

I guess you didn't get the memo.

December 16, 2012 at 3:55 am |
    • Rolph

Everyone has their own true, but they don't have their own truth. Gibberish.

As to your other point, you are saying that since we cannot disprove thing that do not exist, then they not only exist but are the most obvious choice. No. The complete and utter lack of evidence is MASSIVE evidence of the contrary. The fact that Jesus is wrong twice on major theological issues invalidates the bible, because its god is wrong twice and gods cannot be wrong.

In the face of no evidence at all in support beyond a book where your god is wrong, the odds are impossibly large against your god being real. It's not arrogance. Arrogance is saying that you have a special insight that nobody else has, that you are best friends with the superbeing, and that you are getting a superspecial forever in heaven and those who disagree with you will be beaten up forever by your loving superbuddy. All without evidence. That is arrogance.

December 16, 2012 at 4:02 am |
  16. a mother of little ones

We told God to get out of our schools! We told him we don't need him! and then you wonder where he is?? We need to bring him back into our school, into our lives!! Then he will be more compassionate about our pleas.

December 16, 2012 at 2:55 am |
    • Kenny Wright

So god let those children die because we didnt pray to him in or schools? Wow, this is a god you wanna worship?

December 16, 2012 at 3:30 am |
    • I wonder

In case you missed it on the last page:

- "God" wasn't banned from the Episcopalian School last year when the principal was shot and killed by a teacher.
      - "God" wasn't banned from the Our Lady of the Angels School in Chicago in the 1950s when 92 students and 3 nuns died in a fire.
      - "God" wasn't banned from the church shooting in Atlanta last year.

do you want more....?

December 16, 2012 at 3:31 am |
    • DougNJ

Last I knew America is secular. If we did bring god back to school we also need to include allah, ashura-mazda [Zoroaster], odin, zeus, hindu, scientology, etc as well.

December 16, 2012 at 3:52 am |
  17. Smarterest Human

NEWSFLASH! There is NO GOD!

December 16, 2012 at 2:54 am |
    • Patriot888

Who do you blame for this situation?

December 16, 2012 at 2:59 am |
    • Rolph

Why are you looking for people to blame?

Blame blame blame.

He was insane.

December 16, 2012 at 3:04 am |
    • Patriot888

Ok he was insane......and....when it's your family member or loved one .....remember everything is relative. He was just insane.

December 16, 2012 at 3:13 am |
  18. Mary

God has been taken out of the systems, one of the commandments is Thou shalt not kill, and YES there is a God! Imagine teaching a society to Love your enemies, honor your father and mother, love one another, there is alot more to a Christians conduct, read Ephesians, read your Bible! I feel sorry for you....

December 16, 2012 at 2:54 am |
    • Archie Debunker

You do know that the more religious a country or region is, the more major crime occurs there, don't you? The Bible Belt has four times the murder rate of more secular areas, and secular countries like Denmark are the safest countries in the world.

But don't let facts stand in the way of your illusions or anything.

December 16, 2012 at 2:57 am |
    • the AnViL

archie how DARE you counter faith with facts!

have you no shame???????

December 16, 2012 at 3:31 am |
    • Kenny Wright

I guess it was alright when Abraham and Mosos did it to get the jews to the promise land? Or when the pope ordered the crusades? Religion try to claim that that they have a foothold on human morality those are just basics rights and wrongs

December 16, 2012 at 3:40 am |
    • DougNJ

The commandment is 'Thou shall not murder' which is different than kill. I read in the bible, numbers 15.35-36 Lord said to Moses that the man who worked on the sabath was to be stoned to death by the entire community. When is the last time you stoned anyone for working on the sabath. And keep in mind the sabath, the 7th day, is our Saturday. Why, I bet even you are guilty of not keeping the sabath and did work then.

December 16, 2012 at 4:02 am |
  19. Patriot888

We are all products of our beliefs. The idiot that did this was a product of his. What do you think he believed?

December 16, 2012 at 2:45 am |
    • Rolph

He was insane. That's not belief, that's a brain unable to function correctly. No belief system in the world can fix that. Insane Christians go on rampages, insane atheists go on rampages, insane Hindus go on rampages.

It's not the belief; it's the insanity.

December 16, 2012 at 2:51 am |
    • Patriot888

Are actions always follow our beliefs. You believe something so you ate typing on this blog. ......

December 16, 2012 at 2:57 am |
    • Rolph

You totally failed to comprehend my post. Sigh.

December 16, 2012 at 2:59 am |
  20. SVI

These things happen because:

1.) God does not exist.

or:

2.) God has no morals (why should he?) because he has never had peers and hence no basis for forming any morals. He cannot die and cannot lose anyone or anything (because he can simply snap his fingers and prevent death), so the concepts of grief and suffering are meaningless to him.

or:

3.) God exists and does not intervene in anything that happens on Earth, good or bad, because shielding us from the consequences of our evil (OURS, not Satan's) would prevent us from learning anything. Satan isn't the problem – he is simply doing his job and if he exists, he is a closer friend to God than any human will ever be. They even take bets on us!

or:

4.) God exists, but does not distinguish between living matter and dead matter. To him, there is no such thing as life or death – just chemical reactions occurring in a few microbes on one planet out of billions.

Note: This is a multiple choice test, but all possible answers are wrong because you're claiming to have definitive knowledge of something beyond your understanding. It's the same as making a concrete statement about how many quarters I have in my wallet. Even if your guess is correct you're still lying by claiming to know.

December 16, 2012 at 2:39 am |
    • Rolph

No, it is entirely possible for an answer to be right. For exampple, if god does not exist, #1 is always right, whether I can prove it or not.

The first one has 99.999999999999% certainty due to the total lack of any and all evidence for the existence of any deity, and because scriptures, the only thing ever resembling support, can be easily debunked as wrong (gods cannot be wrong).

You aren't much on logic, are you?

December 16, 2012 at 2:55 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116
About this blog